PDA

View Full Version : John Elway: 2-3 start 'is not our standard'

Denver Native (Carol)
10-10-2018, 11:03 AM
"We haven't played ... in my opinion, up to our capabilities," he told Voice of the Broncos Dave Logan on Orange and Blue 760 on Tuesday.

https://www.denverbroncos.com/audio/john-elway-2-3-start-is-not-our-standard

Freyaka
10-10-2018, 11:11 AM
I'm thinking if we lose this week and/or against the cardinals, we'll be looking at a big shakeup of the coaching staff.

BroncoWave
10-10-2018, 11:13 AM
I'm thinking if we lose this week and/or against the cardinals, we'll be looking at a big shakeup of the coaching staff.

Yeah, after the AZ game makes the most sense since that gives the interim 10 days to get ready.

Tangerine
10-10-2018, 11:13 AM
Oh you think John?? Any more obvious comments you can share with us??

We all now what the problems are, what are you going to do to fix them?

Valar Morghulis
10-10-2018, 11:17 AM
I hope Kubes does not take over as interim, as we will still tank - and his favorable memory will be tarnished by the reality

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-10-2018, 11:25 AM
I hope Kubes does not take over as interim, as we will still tank - and his favorable memory will be tarnished by the reality

Or he takes over at the break and does enough to get us to 7-9 and out of reach of a top 5 pick.

Tangerine
10-10-2018, 11:26 AM
It's like management 101 that you don't hire your friends, yet Elway decided to build the good ole boy club. He's eventually going to have to fire all his buddies, who he should've never hired in the first because of his personal relationship with them.

He's made his bed, now he has to sleep in it. 2 years ago, Elway was untouchable in Denver, now the spotlight from the teams failures is shining directly on him. He'll be giving "some" time to fix this mess he made, it starts with not hiring coaches or signing players that anybody on the staff has a personal relationship with, as they've already proven they can't hold their friends accountable.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-10-2018, 11:48 AM
It's like management 101 that you don't hire your friends, yet Elway decided to build the good ole boy club. He's eventually going to have to fire all his buddies, who he should've never hired in the first because of his personal relationship with them.

He's made his bed, now he has to sleep in it. 2 years ago, Elway was untouchable in Denver, now the spotlight from the teams failures is shining directly on him. He'll be giving "some" time to fix this mess he made, it starts with not hiring coaches or signing players that anybody on the staff has a personal relationship with, as they've already proven they can't hold their friends accountable.

Which of his friend will he have to fire? Vance Joseph game from a different coaching tree.

Kubiak is the only one I can think of, who won a super bowl and had two winning seasons in Denver, then quit of his own volition.

BroncoWave
10-10-2018, 11:49 AM
Or he takes over at the break and does enough to get us to 7-9 and out of reach of a top 5 pick.

This is my nightmare scenario for this season. I want us to either rebound enough to make the playoffs or totally tank. The middle is not where I want to be.

Northman
10-10-2018, 11:50 AM
Of course there is talent on the team John, its just that your HC cant get the best out of them and you have straddled the team with a subpar QB who is a poor man's Alex Smith.

Tangerine
10-10-2018, 11:51 AM
Which of his friend will he have to fire? Vance Joseph game from a different coaching tree.

Kubiak is the only one I can think of, who won a super bowl and had two winning seasons in Denver, then quit of his own volition.

Vance Joseph, Bill Musgrave, Kubiak, Keenum were all friends of Elway's or the FO. All except Kubiak will likely be gone next year along with hopefully Matt Russell (who should've been fired years ago).

Buff
10-10-2018, 12:00 PM

Elway deserves a ton of criticism - but we won Super Bowl 50 with all of his "friends"... This criticism doesn't really apply now that Kubiak's staff is gone.

MasterShake
10-10-2018, 12:04 PM
This is my nightmare scenario for this season. I want us to either rebound enough to make the playoffs or totally tank. The middle is not where I want to be.

Also known as the Shannahan Vortex. Speaking of, how are the 49ers doing? Things are rough all over man...

Freyaka
10-10-2018, 12:05 PM

But he's good buds with Matt Russell, that's the only reason we were high on him. Russell has Elway's ear.

Tangerine
10-10-2018, 12:15 PM
Elway deserves a ton of criticism - but we won Super Bowl 50 with all of his "friends"... This criticism doesn't really apply now that Kubiak's staff is gone.

No way VJ gets the job in the first place if he wasn't friends with Matt Russell, and he would've been fired in January if Kubiak didn't push to keep him.

Starting with Kubiak the FO started putting personal feelings over business decisions and we're seeing the results on the field. It might've worked out with Kubiak because he was already an established coach who wasn't afraid to stand up to Elway and give his opinion, but it definitely wasn't going to work a 2nd time.

Buff
10-10-2018, 12:19 PM
No way VJ gets the job in the first place if he wasn't friends with Matt Russell, and he would've been fired in January if Kubiak didn't push to keep him.

Starting with Kubiak the FO started putting personal feelings over business decisions and we're seeing the results on the field. It might've worked out with Kubiak because he was already an established coach who wasn't afraid to stand up to Elway and give his opinion, but it definitely wasn't going to work a 2nd time.

Personally I think it was Joe Ellis who pushed to keep VJ after last season - I think he overruled Elway's desire to fire him given how bad the personnel was last year.

You may be right that the Russell/VJ relationship was part of him being hired - but it's a relationship business, I don't necessarily fault them for hiring a guy they were familiar with... It worked out fairly well with Kubes. I fault them for hiring a bad and under-qualified coach.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-10-2018, 12:39 PM

It wasn’t Kubiak who pushed to keep VJ. It was Joe Ellis.

Tangerine
10-10-2018, 12:43 PM
Personally I think it was Joe Ellis who pushed to keep VJ after last season - I think he overruled Elway's desire to fire him given how bad the personnel was last year.

You may be right that the Russell/VJ relationship was part of him being hired - but it's a relationship business, I don't necessarily fault them for hiring a guy they were familiar with... It worked out fairly well with Kubes. I fault them for hiring a bad and under-qualified coach.

Exactly!

It just rubs me the wrong way when Elway makes comments like this. You hired an unqualified coach and defensive coordinator, you paid a backup QB a ton of money, you're the one who doesn't have the nerves to fire them, and now you complain the team isn't playing at the level you want, why do you think that is??

Quit complaining to the media about your team's performance, get off your butt and do something about it. Where's the Elway who wanted to fire Fox after losing the Super Bowl? Where's the Elway who did everything possible to get Manning? Where's the kicking and screaming he so famously talked about?

BeefStew25
10-10-2018, 08:00 PM

I agree from the Shanny standpoint. If he could get over whatever issues he had with Pops we’d have a young smart dude as our coach.

arapaho2
10-11-2018, 04:40 PM

To me we don't need a huge shake up,

fire VJ...and promote Musgrave to interim HC

fire woods or demote him back to Db coach

promote Herring to interim DC

and a overall push that...poor prep, poor play, poor game management, poor in game adjustment and weak game plans will no longer be accepted, not will lack luster play frpm the team

100% or move on

Hawgdriver
10-12-2018, 01:43 AM
I hear words.

ShaneFalco
10-12-2018, 01:53 AM
Case Keesum isnt the standard. And you signed him

HORSEPOWER 56
10-12-2018, 02:18 AM
The problem is, it’s gotten so bad that I just don’t know who to blame anymore. VJ? Musgrave? Woods? Elway? (never! I’m a true Broncos fan!) Keenum? Roby? Von? Wolfe? CHJ? DT? All of them?

I just don’t know. Honestly, this team is suffering from a lack of leadership at all levels. Seriously, there are still many players on the roster that were here when we won a SB and yet there appears nobody on the team from the top down, knows how to win.

VJ and the staff don’t deserve the players they have (we have friggin talent on this team, a lot more than some teams who are playing much better) and right now none of the guys with a “C” on their chest deserve them. Including Von. These guys know how to play and if the shit the coaches are telling them to do ain’t working, then fix the coach. Coach upward! You don’t think PFM did plenty of that?

The bottom line is, the cupboard is bare on leadership right now. I’d love to just be able to point at VJ and say it’s all his fault (it is his responsibility) but nobody is holding anyone accountable right now. Elway isn’t the coach he can hire and fire people, but I don’t think he tells Joseph what to do with the team. I hope our next staff can fix this shitty mess.

Simple Jaded
10-12-2018, 02:32 AM
Elway gets his share of blame, Imo, even if that means I’m not a true fan.

Shanatan also definitely deserved his share of the blame long before it was ok for fans to blame him.

It is currently ok to blame Shanatan so why wait with Elway? He’s done a poor, poor job.

Simple Jaded
10-12-2018, 02:37 AM
It wasn’t Kubiak who pushed to keep VJ. It was Joe Ellis.

******* Bushes!

Simple Jaded
10-12-2018, 02:46 AM
This actually is the Broncos standards btw, first they win the SB and then they go into 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 purgatory. I predicted 10-wins at least, and still think they can get there, but this season has purgatory written all over it.

BroncoWave
10-12-2018, 05:20 AM
This actually is the Broncos standards btw, first they win the SB and then they go into 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 purgatory. I predicted 10-wins at least, and still think they can get there, but this season has purgatory written all over it.

You still think we're winning 10 games? :lol:

Poet
10-12-2018, 09:01 AM
You still think we're winning 10 games? :lol:

Jaded is a pessimist, but not a hater. Sometimes he strays from logic a bit, but once a brother styles he is a brother forever.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-12-2018, 02:31 PM

I thought 10-6, but now I think 4-12.

dogfish
10-12-2018, 03:48 PM
i thought 6-10, and i still think 6-10. . .

Canmore
10-12-2018, 09:03 PM
i thought 6-10, and i still think 6-10. . .

Where are we going to get 4 more wins?

dogfish
10-12-2018, 09:20 PM

well, shit. . . either at home or on the road, right?

who am i, nostratimmy?

:laugh:

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-12-2018, 10:40 PM

That’s what I was wondering. We barely beat Oakland at home.

Jsteve01
10-13-2018, 12:44 AM
Az san fran and one win vs the chuggers

slim
10-13-2018, 09:12 AM
We will beat the Rams to start an incredible 14 game winning streak.

Nomad
10-13-2018, 11:06 AM

This is what I'm talkin about. #letsgetitdone Go Broncos!!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-13-2018, 03:00 PM
Az san fran and one win vs the chuggers

We’re not winning in AZ. The Chargers will spank us twice

slim
10-13-2018, 03:17 PM
We’re not winning in AZ.

Not with that attitude!!

Nomad
10-13-2018, 03:19 PM
Not with that attitude!!

#believe

dogfish
10-13-2018, 03:34 PM
#believe

#VJ

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-13-2018, 04:07 PM
Not with that attitude!!

#believe

I believe instead of stacking the box and bringing 5-6 on every pass play we’ll play soft coverage and make the rookie look like a pro bowler

Northman
10-13-2018, 04:33 PM

You have been smoking way too much crack as of late.

Nomad
10-13-2018, 04:36 PM

slim is drinking my home brew. :D

Northman
10-13-2018, 04:37 PM
slim is drinking my home brew. :D

And its killing the brain cells of both of you.

Nomad
10-13-2018, 04:41 PM

#broncosgonnabeatdemrams

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-13-2018, 06:32 PM
#broncosgonnabeatdemrams
What is your beer cut with, pcp?

Nomad
10-13-2018, 08:49 PM
My LSU tigers proved they can win. Broncos can do it. Go Broncos!! Ooorah!

Nomad
10-13-2018, 08:54 PM

Love ya, Al!

slim
10-13-2018, 10:57 PM

Believe!!

slim
10-13-2018, 10:58 PM
Love ya, Al!

We shall will them to victory!!

dogfish
10-13-2018, 10:58 PM

nope. . . pure orange sunshine. . . :heh:

dogfish
10-13-2018, 10:59 PM
We shall drink them to victory!!

or at least have a good time trying, amirite?

slim
10-13-2018, 11:04 PM

There is no such thing as too much!!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-14-2018, 12:39 AM
nope. . . pure orange sunshine. . . :heh:

Oh it’s orange alright, well after dark!

Northman
10-14-2018, 10:29 AM
Believe!!

http://cdn-static.denofgeek.com/sites/denofgeek/files/styles/main_wide/public/scanners-main.jpg?itok=wHz3f0dl

Nomad
10-14-2018, 11:37 AM
We shall will them to victory!!

I'll head the charge. Broncos victory......here we come!

Tangerine
10-14-2018, 11:17 PM
Elway:"I guess 2-4 and long losing streaks IS our standard now"

Suck for Luck! Oh wait, that was 7 years ago...

Freyaka
10-15-2018, 08:59 AM
Elway:"I guess 2-4 and long losing streaks IS our standard now"

Suck for Luck! Oh wait, that was 7 years ago...

VJ's lost the locker room, so it's time for our players to desert for herbert!