PDA

View Full Version : The nasty word we all don't want to hear:

Ground Control
10-09-2018, 12:17 AM
Rebuild.

I'll just leave that there.

And only follow up with we don't have to be bottom-feeders for years but we should see what is happening for what it is.

Please let me eat these words but if not...

ShaneFalco
10-09-2018, 04:17 AM
why are you call ground control.

do you work at airport?

Shazam!
10-09-2018, 05:09 AM
I dont think they will embrace a full rebuild.

There is no ****ing way the NYJ have more talent than Denver. It is all about the Coaching at this point IMO. The lack of discipline and preparedness of this team to me is mind blowing, and its been a trend ever since the loss to the NYG last year.

Both Coordinators are doing a terrible job. VJ no in game adjustments. Challenges that shouldnt be thrown. All kinds of procedural issues. No mental toughness. Lack of fundamentals. All on the Coaching Staff.

Losing is like a cancer. This has to be quelled somehow. Wolfe's comments are indicative of this problem. "Its something deeper that i cant understand" ? Terrible.

He is no leader of men i tell you that.

Yesterday he said all changes are in the table less than 24 hrs after he said there will be no changes. Guy is a complete embarassment and a walking contradiction.

Davii
10-09-2018, 05:17 AM

There is no ****ing way the NYJ have more talent than Denver. It is all about the Coaching at this point IMO. The lack of discipline and preparedness of this team to me is mind blowing, and its been a trend ever since the loss to the NYG last year.

Both Coordinators are doing a terrible job. VJ no in game adjustments. Challenges that shouldnt be thrown. All kinds of procedural issues. No mental toughness. Lack of fundamentals. All on the Coaching Staff.

Losing is like a cancer. This has to be quelled somehow. Wolfe's comments are indicative of this problem. "Its something deeper that i cant understand" ? Terrible.

Yesterday he said all changes are in the table less than 24 hrs after he said there will be no changes. Guy is a complete embarassment and a walking contradiction.

The only full rebuild we need is coaching staff.

MasterShake
10-09-2018, 08:42 AM
The only full rebuild we need is coaching staff.

5 weeks in and we are already back to the last part of the previous season when the locker room rumblings were spilling out onto social media and into the press. We got rid of the so-called cancers like Talib, and sacrificial lambs like McCoy are long gone. I think our draft this year was outstanding and the one thing that keeps me excited is watching the rookies develop. The one common denominator from this year to last is VJ unfortunately. Even with his new coaching staff not much has changed.

The main difference is I was never under any illusion of this being a good team other than that maybe we could squeak into the playoffs with an early exit. The reality is much more sobering but I still think we have too much talent to call it quits. With the right changes (including sitting veterans that aren't cutting it anymore) we could get a head start on next season and just not have any pressure on the players and the fans and just let them have fun. Hell, maybe you could even squeeze out 6 wins somehow and avoid consecutive losing seasons. The changes have to start soon, though. Unless they wake up, the rest of this season is an extended preseason to me and I will enjoy it as such.

G_Money
10-09-2018, 09:52 AM
Denver has quite a bit of talent IMO, just missing in a few key positions. Still, that can be overcome with good coaching. This is... the opposite of that. The problem is that all phases need to be evaluated, but all are interlocked. Is the talent not as good as we think and it's making the coaching staff look even worse? Are the coaches kneecapping a fairly decent roster? Can anything progress with Elway at the helm, considering the players and coaches he has picked over the years and who he has let go?

Honestly this most recent draft class is saving Elway at the moment. It's the single thing he has to hang his hat on since Manning retired, and even there he could have gone with a QB to build around in this last draft and chose not to. That looks like genius if Chad Kelly is Phillip Rivers - but if he's Rivers, then shouldn't he be starting soon? Denver has a mauler run game so far - in the spare moments it has been deployed - and Kelly is a mobile QB on a team with plenty of non-TE targets. But pass protection is an issue; to overcome it you would want coaches who can design mobile pockets and cater to the talents on the roster. Instead Denver has this:

https://twitter.com/byesline/status/1049411309601808384

So assuming Elway gets at least another year out of this regardless (because he's a legend not just in this town but every town and this team won a Super Bowl a couple of years ago) he has to figure out what to do with the coaching staff the rest of the way. No sense tearing the entire team down with your QB position only overpriced for one more season, especially if you can get one more restock draft like Denver had last year. But it all depends on Kelly, and whether he's the real deal or just John Kitna, as was recently suggested to me. Because Denver is staring at another potential top pick in next year's draft and there will be another QB option - though probably not as good as some options in this draft.

Are any of them better than Kelly? That is a question Denver absolutely needs answered this year. If it's a lost year - and it looks like it will be if the Broncos of the first five games keep playing this way - then Elway has to know whether his backup QB is his QBOTF or not. And that's true regardless of who is giving the stupid press conferences after losses.

If the Broncos lose in blowout fashion to the Rams as expected, Denver has to decide what they want to do with this season. They'd rather not start Kelly on a four-day gameplan against the Cardinals, assuming Keenum is healthy, and you'd prefer for his first start not to be in KC at the end of the month despite having a 10 day prep time. That would leave the 11/4 home game against the Texans as the "soft landing" for Kelly if everything is a disaster and the Broncos go winless in October.

Can they wait that long? Will they be bold enough to sack Keenum even halfway through the season for Mr. Irrelevant?

For Denver's sake - even if Keenum is being held back by the coaching staff and this isn't his fault - Denver is going to need some bold moves from Elway if this year goes the way it looks like it's going. That's not a rebuild, it's just accountability and duty to the team. No excuses.

BroncoJoe
10-09-2018, 10:03 AM
Good to see you, ~G.

We just might see Kelly this Sunday. That Rams defense is pretty aggressive, and Keenum just might get knocked out at some point. Add to the fact that Phillips probably had this game circled, he's going to bring the house on virtually every play.

Northman
10-09-2018, 10:05 AM

do you work at airport?

He's Major Tom.

Slick
10-09-2018, 10:11 AM
Elway will never admit to a rebuild. "Win from now on." I believe were his exact words

Hawgdriver
10-09-2018, 10:13 AM
I'm Major Tom!

For reals. Stroke used to use that as my theme song. 'Ground control to Major Juggy.' That dude was brilliant at the pop culture character sketch. He also called me Juggy Sagan.

I'm fine being a hybrid Bowie/Sagan guy.

But hey, about those Broncos...

Hawgdriver
10-09-2018, 10:16 AM
I am in the rebuild camp unless $wag shows me more. I'd be thrilled to see him play.

The problem is that he'd have to play for VJ and Musgrave, so I'm not sure I'll see much with which to judge. My gut is that Chad is ultimately limited, but there's enough there to give him a serious look.

If Kelly is not the answer, the veteran turnover plus rookie QB spin-up means the team is competitive in 2020, so plan your roster accordingly.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-09-2018, 11:10 AM
I was annoyed after the first two games with the lack of pap. At least we’re using it in the fourth quarter when we’re down by 3 touchdowns!

underrated29
10-09-2018, 11:39 AM
5 weeks in and we are already back to the last part of the previous season when the locker room rumblings were spilling out onto social media and into the press. We got rid of the so-called cancers like Talib, and sacrificial lambs like McCoy are long gone. I think our draft this year was outstanding and the one thing that keeps me excited is watching the rookies develop. The one common denominator from this year to last is VJ unfortunately. Even with his new coaching staff not much has changed.

The main difference is I was never under any illusion of this being a good team other than that maybe we could squeak into the playoffs with an early exit. The reality is much more sobering but I still think we have too much talent to call it quits. With the right changes (including sitting veterans that aren't cutting it anymore) we could get a head start on next season and just not have any pressure on the players and the fans and just let them have fun. Hell, maybe you could even squeeze out 6 wins somehow and avoid consecutive losing seasons. The changes have to start soon, though. Unless they wake up, the rest of this season is an extended preseason to me and I will enjoy it as such.

Just to clarify. Mccoy was no sacrificial lamb. He was a tumor removed from a tumor. We still have not gotten rid of the big tumor.

I too do not think we need a rebuild. We have a good roster. We need a HC and DC in the worst way!!!!
We need a QB in the worst way. Fix 2 out of those 3 and we are back to the playoffs imo.
Fix all three and we can be a contender.

We need a CB. We need another ILB. We need a C/T. Id like to see a DT, but we have Walker on the roster just sitting around not playing cuz the staff is stupid.

I just do not know of any HC or DC available right now that are better. I do not want to make a change just for making a change. Also, we MUST start Kelly to see if we can build with him or if we go all in and draft Herbert this year. It is foolish imo to go another week without seeing.

Buff
10-09-2018, 11:41 AM
Rebuild is obvious... The word nobody wants to hear is "tanking" - and that's what we ought to be doing as part of our rebuild. Do not @ me.

Hawgdriver
10-09-2018, 11:57 AM
Rebuild is obvious... The word nobody wants to hear is "tanking" - and that's what we ought to be doing as part of our rebuild. Do not @ me.

It's semantics at this point. Everyone is saying we need a new staff and QB and other stuff, some are saying rebuild. What's the difference?

G_Money
10-09-2018, 12:21 PM
It's semantics at this point. Everyone is saying we need a new staff and QB and other stuff, some are saying rebuild. What's the difference?

Tanking is a one year process, at least in the NFL. Rebuild usually indicates selling off your good assets for a multi-year tank. No need to sell Harris and Von for draft picks.

Jsteve01
10-09-2018, 01:22 PM

Just to clarify. Mccoy was no sacrificial lamb. He was a tumor removed from a tumor. We still have not gotten rid of the big tumor.

I too do not think we need a rebuild. We have a good roster. We need a HC and DC in the worst way!!!!
We need a QB in the worst way. Fix 2 out of those 3 and we are back to the playoffs imo.
Fix all three and we can be a contender.

We need a CB. We need another ILB. We need a C/T. Id like to see a DT, but we have Walker on the roster just sitting around not playing cuz the staff is stupid.

I just do not know of any HC or DC available right now that are better. I do not want to make a change just for making a change. Also, we MUST start Kelly to see if we can build with him or if we go all in and draft Herbert this year. It is foolish imo to go another week without seeing.

The walker pick was odd to me because i dont see a natural fit as a 5 tech. He is a classic up the field 4-3 end or potentially slide inside on passing downs.

Poet
10-09-2018, 01:31 PM

It is my understanding that a rebuild means you're doing a major roster overturn. I've heard phrasing like "small rebuild," or "slight rebuild," but my understanding is that those are almost oxymoron in nature.

I don't know, bro. I just want someone to say they'll hold me.

BroncoWave
10-09-2018, 01:36 PM

See, I think this scenario is the worst case. I either want us to make the playoffs, or bottom out. Going 8-8 gets you nowhere.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-09-2018, 01:40 PM

When you stink you don’t have to try to tank. You can try to win every game and still end up with a top 5 pick.

BroncoWave
10-09-2018, 01:41 PM
When you stink you don’t have to try to tank. You can try to win every game and still end up with a top 5 pick.

This is the best argument for letting VJ coach out the string. Basically tanking on easy mode!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-09-2018, 01:57 PM
This is the best argument for letting VJ coach out the string. Basically tanking on easy mode!

Possum tanking!

Hawgdriver
10-09-2018, 02:08 PM
It seems like I'm being a bad fan, but being competitive in 2019 seems unrealistic to me. I'd shift my vision to long-term competitiveness, 2020 and beyond. I could see how some pieces could fall into place for next year, that would be great. There's a gamble in that. The smart money to me is on a rebuild, but that's not part of Elway's DNA. I like that about him, but it might be a flaw in these circumstances. Guess I get to watch it unfold!

Poet
10-09-2018, 05:04 PM
It seems like I'm being a bad fan, but being competitive in 2019 seems unrealistic to me. I'd shift my vision to long-term competitiveness, 2020 and beyond. I could see how some pieces could fall into place for next year, that would be great. There's a gamble in that. The smart money to me is on a rebuild, but that's not part of Elway's DNA. I like that about him, but it might be a flaw in these circumstances. Guess I get to watch it unfold!

You and I are in total agreement. I will now enter you, and then you will be reborn.

DenBronx
10-09-2018, 05:25 PM
No one likes hearing the term rebuild but...I think we kind of have to. At least a partial rebuild.

I love our rookies so they are exempt. So is Chris Harris and Von Miller. Everyone else idgaf about.

Jsteve01
10-09-2018, 05:53 PM
No one likes hearing the term rebuild but...I think we kind of have to. At least a partial rebuild.

I love our rookies so they are exempt. So is Chris Harris and Von Miller. Everyone else idgaf about.

I would keep simmons, paradis, mcgovern and turner. Scrap heap the rest of the o line. The tough thing is we have no idea who is good and who isnt at this point because scheme and coaching are such issues

Poet
10-09-2018, 06:42 PM
Big thick men!

HORSEPOWER 56
10-09-2018, 06:52 PM
The problem with just blowing it all up is that we might actually have a decent squad but our coaching is so horrible and our QB play still sucks so we don’t know. Tell me Wade couldn’t have this defense in the top 5!? I’m sure he could. Woods sucks, VJ sucks and I’m really starting to question Musgrave. How on the hell do you run the ball <20 times per game with studs like Lindsay and Freeman at your disposal and an Oline who is pretty good at run blocking? There’s zero creativity in our offense and it keeps falling on Keenum who isn’t a guy to “save the day” and typically doesn’t.

Scrap this coaching staff and get some guys in here who can actually make players perform to their talent level and maybe even have their players prepared for the team they’re playing that week. This roster is not devoid of talent. Even Keenum is better than he’s shown so far. Look at the difference between McDouchebag’s team and Fox’s. Pretty much the same roster (before Manning), marked improvement in play and preparation.

Timmy!
10-10-2018, 04:47 AM

Im gonna
@ you so hard!!!

Shazam!
10-10-2018, 05:14 AM
The problem with just blowing it all up is that we might actually have a decent squad but our coaching is so horrible and our QB play still sucks so we don’t know. Tell me Wade couldn’t have this defense in the top 5!? I’m sure he could. Woods sucks, VJ sucks and I’m really starting to question Musgrave. How on the hell do you run the ball <20 times per game with studs like Lindsay and Freeman at your disposal and an Oline who is pretty good at run blocking? There’s zero creativity in our offense and it keeps falling on Keenum who isn’t a guy to “save the day” and typically doesn’t.

Scrap this coaching staff and get some guys in here who can actually make players perform to their talent level and maybe even have their players prepared for the team they’re playing that week. This roster is not devoid of talent. Even Keenum is better than he’s shown so far. Look at the difference between McDouchebag’s team and Fox’s. Pretty much the same roster (before Manning), marked improvement in play and preparation.

This.

There is no ****ing way the NYJ are a more talented bunch than Denver.

Even Todd ****ing Bowles is a betyer coach than VJ at this point.

A bad Coach can keep a bad team competitive.

VJ is always shooting himself in the face on game day, how can the Broncos wwin when they have to overcome that before their opposition?

Jsteve01
10-10-2018, 03:09 PM

This.

There is no ****ing way the NYJ are a more talented bunch than Denver.

Even Todd ****ing Bowles is a betyer coach than VJ at this point.

A bad Coach can keep a bad team competitive.

VJ is always shooting himself in the face on game day, how can the Broncos wwin when they have to overcome that before their opposition?

Well Bowles was a good dc so he at least had a resume. Vj had one shitt squad in miami and a few decent defensive backfield in cincy. Talk about underqualified lmao

Simple Jaded
10-12-2018, 03:16 AM
Tanking is a one year process, at least in the NFL. Rebuild usually indicates selling off your good assets for a multi-year tank. No need to sell Harris and Von for draft picks.

Completely disagree here, sell high.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-13-2018, 03:09 PM
Completely disagree here, sell high.

If our secondary is going to get torched we might as well get a first for him

Ground Control
10-16-2018, 06:27 PM

do you work at airport?

Early last year, a nickname being tossed around for the Denver front 7 was Ground Control since they were doing very well against the run and as a compliment to the NFZ. It didn't stick but I liked it.

Good think it didn't stick, given the last 2 games...

(I am a surveyor and we do use horizontal and vertical coordinate control that is on the ground. Doesn't quite have a ring to it for me personally, however. If there still was a NFZ, and we were a league leader in run D, that would be pretty damn cool name, though.)

slim
10-16-2018, 06:28 PM
Early last year, a nickname being tossed around for the Denver front 7 was Ground Control since they were doing very well against the run and as a compliment to the NFZ. It didn't stick but I liked it.

Good think it didn't stick, given the last 2 games...

(I am a surveyor and we do use horizontal and vertical coordinate control that is on the ground. Doesn't quite have a ring to it for me personally, however. If there still was a NFZ, and we were a league leader in run D, that would be pretty damn cool name, though.)

Nah, it is a gay name no matter how you slice it

Ground Control
10-16-2018, 06:30 PM

The secondary said the plan going into the game against the Rams was to let Gurly run all over us, to stop the pass. Who the F comes up with a plan like that? VJ.

I used to defend him, as most rookie coaches that fail to start but no more. He could be a decent DC, given time. I believe he called many of the plays against the Chiefs but I hope it's on another team....

Ground Control
10-16-2018, 06:31 PM
Denver has quite a bit of talent IMO, just missing in a few key positions. Still, that can be overcome with good coaching. This is... the opposite of that. The problem is that all phases need to be evaluated, but all are interlocked. Is the talent not as good as we think and it's making the coaching staff look even worse? Are the coaches kneecapping a fairly decent roster? Can anything progress with Elway at the helm, considering the players and coaches he has picked over the years and who he has let go?

Honestly this most recent draft class is saving Elway at the moment. It's the single thing he has to hang his hat on since Manning retired, and even there he could have gone with a QB to build around in this last draft and chose not to. That looks like genius if Chad Kelly is Phillip Rivers - but if he's Rivers, then shouldn't he be starting soon? Denver has a mauler run game so far - in the spare moments it has been deployed - and Kelly is a mobile QB on a team with plenty of non-TE targets. But pass protection is an issue; to overcome it you would want coaches who can design mobile pockets and cater to the talents on the roster. Instead Denver has this:

https://twitter.com/byesline/status/1049411309601808384

So assuming Elway gets at least another year out of this regardless (because he's a legend not just in this town but every town and this team won a Super Bowl a couple of years ago) he has to figure out what to do with the coaching staff the rest of the way. No sense tearing the entire team down with your QB position only overpriced for one more season, especially if you can get one more restock draft like Denver had last year. But it all depends on Kelly, and whether he's the real deal or just John Kitna, as was recently suggested to me. Because Denver is staring at another potential top pick in next year's draft and there will be another QB option - though probably not as good as some options in this draft.

Are any of them better than Kelly? That is a question Denver absolutely needs answered this year. If it's a lost year - and it looks like it will be if the Broncos of the first five games keep playing this way - then Elway has to know whether his backup QB is his QBOTF or not. And that's true regardless of who is giving the stupid press conferences after losses.

If the Broncos lose in blowout fashion to the Rams as expected, Denver has to decide what they want to do with this season. They'd rather not start Kelly on a four-day gameplan against the Cardinals, assuming Keenum is healthy, and you'd prefer for his first start not to be in KC at the end of the month despite having a 10 day prep time. That would leave the 11/4 home game against the Texans as the "soft landing" for Kelly if everything is a disaster and the Broncos go winless in October.

Can they wait that long? Will they be bold enough to sack Keenum even halfway through the season for Mr. Irrelevant?

For Denver's sake - even if Keenum is being held back by the coaching staff and this isn't his fault - Denver is going to need some bold moves from Elway if this year goes the way it looks like it's going. That's not a rebuild, it's just accountability and duty to the team. No excuses.

This.

Ground Control
10-16-2018, 06:34 PM
I am in the rebuild camp unless $wag shows me more. I'd be thrilled to see him play.

The problem is that he'd have to play for VJ and Musgrave, so I'm not sure I'll see much with which to judge. My gut is that Chad is ultimately limited, but there's enough there to give him a serious look.

If Kelly is not the answer, the veteran turnover plus rookie QB spin-up means the team is competitive in 2020, so plan your roster accordingly.

He's certainly got more upside than Keenum. And he was a killer in big games. I'd love to see what he can do, also.

Ground Control
10-16-2018, 06:36 PM

@

; )

Ground Control
10-16-2018, 06:41 PM

Is it as gay as a gay man lusting after TB in a bar, though?

Otherwise, I'll switch to the Major Tom reason. Sounds much better.

Hawgdriver
10-16-2018, 07:16 PM

Yeah. You can do gayer. Let slim pick for you. If he doesn't, go with Vance Choadsoft. Then if VJ miraculously turns it around, change it to Vance Growstiff.

Hawgdriver
10-18-2018, 02:05 AM
Any chance someone can make the nasty word we want to hear thread?

Poet
10-18-2018, 08:28 AM
Any chance someone can make the nasty word we want to hear thread?

I was once banned for this. :lol: