PDA

View Full Version : Jags sign David Williams

dogfish
10-08-2018, 09:37 PM
they're poaching him off our practice squad. . .

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/08/jaguars-will-sign-rb-david-williams/

thank god we still have booker around. . .

Nomad
10-08-2018, 09:55 PM

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/08/jaguars-will-sign-rb-david-williams/

This may be bad news for Fournette.

dogfish
10-08-2018, 09:56 PM
This may be bad news for Fournette.

i think this is more about their other RB who got hurt yesterday. . . fournette doesn't look like he's going to last long, though. . .

Nomad
10-08-2018, 09:58 PM
i think this is more about their other RB who got hurt yesterday. . . fournette doesn't look like he's going to last long, though. . .

Damn. I didn't know another RB got hurt. I just recall Fournette leaving a game a couple weeks ago. Sad to say, it doesn't look good for him. He was fun to watch at LSU.

goodforubud
10-08-2018, 11:29 PM

Good! No offense against Williams, but as a life long CU fan i was furious when we drafted a dude with a 600 yard top season over Lindsay. I'm glad to see him gone and wish him well.

Simple Jaded
10-17-2018, 10:09 PM
You want teams to take the Broncos players because they were drafted before a favorite of yours?

I’ve come around on Lindsey, mostly because of his hair (so good), but he was borderline draftable. It worked out for the best.

They should have kept Williams and traded Booker, Lindsey made him utterly expendable.

Poet
10-17-2018, 10:14 PM
Booker stays around because he can block. He occasionally has a decent run. He is not worthy of the hatred. IMO.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-17-2018, 10:21 PM
Booker stays around because he can block. He occasionally has a decent run. He is not worthy of the hatred. IMO.

Agreed, and it’s not like the guy was a first round pick

dogfish
10-18-2018, 12:25 AM

lol! it's cool to burn the QB alive, but legit criticism of any other player is "hatred?" stahp! booker may be a wonderful person. . . he's complete, utter trash as an NFL RB. . . freaking hillman was better, straight up. . . i honestly can't remember the last time a guy as worthless as booker got any significant snaps for the broncos at running back. . .

dogfish
10-18-2018, 03:10 AM
okay, a bit of digging confirmed my suspicion that it was montee ball. . . but he was really good in 2013, sucked on 55 carries in '14, and was gone in '15 despite being a highly-touted second round pick. . . thankfully, booker has been phased out of the top rotation this year-- even though he still pops up like a weed in the 4th quarter. . . next year, a new regime will undoubtedly send him packing, so our long national nightmare has an end in sight. . .

Valar Morghulis
10-18-2018, 05:29 AM
I don't have Cody love for Booker, but I sure don't get the hate. He is a rotation back, and serviceable in that role, he's still on a rookie contract and appears to be a better blocker (probably due to scheme familiarity)

he will be gone soon enough.

BroncoWave
10-18-2018, 08:04 AM
You can always count on King and Dave for reasonable takes. Booker is fine for the role he plays. The hate for him is stupid. He was a forth round pick. This is about what you expect from someone drafted there. The hate is stupid.

Krugan
10-18-2018, 09:39 AM
So booker gets a pass on draft position, but others dont....

Im so confused.

BroncoWave
10-18-2018, 09:40 AM
So booker gets a pass on draft position, but others dont....

Im so confused.

Explain.

Krugan
10-18-2018, 09:51 AM
Explain.

Kinda explains itself.

But, Booker is a 4th round pick, so as was said, he is living up to his expectations. Yet, others arent held to the same scale.

I think that gets to what im trying to say, im not calling you out, just observing how interesting it is when there is a pass given, yet not to everyone.

BroncoWave
10-18-2018, 09:52 AM
Kinda explains itself.

But, Booker is a 4th round pick, so as was said, he is living up to his expectations. Yet, others arent held to the same scale.

I think that gets to what im trying to say, im not calling you out, just observing how interesting it is when there is a pass given, yet not to everyone.

Do you have any specific examples to go on?

BroncoJoe
10-18-2018, 09:59 AM
What about an undrafted player?

Valar Morghulis
10-18-2018, 09:59 AM
If Booker was our feature back, I would get it.

He's not, he's a squad/rotation player. And since not everyone can be elite, getting multi year production it of a 4th round is good enough.

That's not a pass, is a reflection that his potential lived up to his draft status

Valar Morghulis
10-18-2018, 10:06 AM

BroncoWave
10-18-2018, 10:07 AM
If Booker was our feature back, I would get it.

He's not, he's a squad/rotation player. And since not everyone can be elite, getting multi year production it of a 4th round is good enough.

That's not a pass, is a reflection that his potential lived up to his draft status

Right. I feel like people are beating around the bush and implying Siemian without saying it. He was the starting QB. Once you're starting, especially at that position, you have to be judged on your performance, not where you were drafted.

Booker is the third string RB, who is a role player in the passing game. If he were starting over the two better backs on the roster, the criticism would be totally justified. And if we'd picked him in the first round but he couldn't make it past third string, I'd get that too. But none of those things are the case. He's playing about how you'd expect someone drafted where we was to play, and he isn't taking a job away from anyone who is better. (Don't @ me with this Williams guy).

Krugan
10-18-2018, 10:09 AM
You can always count on King and Dave for reasonable takes. Booker is fine for the role he plays. The hate for him is stupid. He was a forth round pick. This is about what you expect from someone drafted there. The hate is stupid.

well, this is one time

And im pretty sure with a little looking you can see a 7th round qb and an undrafted qb not getting the same scale.

Im pretty sure your not getting my point, and as i said it wasnt directed at you, just at expectations for any given player arent always equal to a set scale, but to a perceived ideal.

Poet
10-18-2018, 10:10 AM
well, this is one time

And im pretty sure with a little looking you can see a 7th round qb and an undrafted qb not getting the same scale.

Im pretty sure your not getting my point, and as i said it wasnt directed at you, just at expectations for any given player arent always equal to a set scale, but to a perceived ideal.

Think about what you just said though - that's a starting QB...

When you're a starting Qb, and you can't throw more TDs than INTS, you take bad sacks, and you can't complete any deep balls so it stifles the running game anymore, you're going to get lambasted. You're taking issue with a stance that is literally designed to not be a one-size-fits-all stance.

Of course I'm not mad at an average RB who is the third RB and a fourth round pick. He's there to fulfill a function that the other two backs cannot yet - pass protection. He's also in the game on those downs because he's more of an offensive threat than the FB, ergo he's giving us some flexibility.

Of course I'm going to be pissed at a starting QB who was amongst the worst in the league. He's the starting QB.

I understand the nuanced point you're making, Krugan, but I don't think it's really correct.

Jsteve01
10-18-2018, 10:13 AM
Good talk guys. As your third string back and a utilitu guy he is fine. I think part of thenissue for all of us is that we remember he was touted as a potential steal when most thought he would go in the second. Maybe we drafted a rotational player about where he should have gone and need to adjust expectation. Dog he isnt the worst back we have trotted out by quite a ways.

Krugan
10-18-2018, 10:14 AM
Think about what you just said though - that's a starting QB...

Again, your missing the point, the ire should not be directed to the poor ****** who got stuck in that spot, but the people who promoted him to that spot. Booker was drafted in the 4th, so its okay he sucks, but this guy was undrafted, in the 7th, the 6th whatever, and got a better roster spot due to someones decision, so he is just trash.

Its hypocritical.

BroncoWave
Good talk guys. As your third string back and a utilitu guy he is fine. I think part of thenissue for all of us is that we remember he was touted as a potential steal when most thought he would go in the second. Maybe we drafted a rotational player about where he should have gone and need to adjust expectation. Dog he isnt the worst back we have trotted out by quite a ways.

Right, people are mad because of their own overly high expectations.

BroncoJoe

Don't repeat me, you tosser!

BroncoWave
10-18-2018, 10:15 AM
well, this is one time

Please tell me you aren't referring to Kelly and Keenum? If you are, that is an awful comparison.

Krugan
10-18-2018, 10:17 AM
Please tell me you aren't referring to Kelly and Keenum? If you are, that is an awful comparison.

Why, we are talking about draft positions and getting expectations based on those spots. Why does it slide based on management screwing the pouch with positioning?

BroncoWave
10-18-2018, 10:21 AM
Why, we are talking about draft positions and getting expectations based on those spots. Why does it slide based on management screwing the pouch with positioning?

Where Keenum was drafted is completely irrelevant. We didn't draft him. We signed him to a big free agent deal. We paid him to be the starter, so he deserves every ounce of criticism he gets.

Kelly, we picked in the 7th round. So if he never amounts to more than a backup, that's totally ok. You don't expect more than that from a 7th round pick. And if he exceeds that it's just gravy.

I know you're trying to dig for hypocrisy here, but it just doesn't exist.

Poet
10-18-2018, 10:22 AM
Again, your missing the point, the ire should not be directed to the poor ****** who got stuck in that spot, but the people who promoted him to that spot. Booker was drafted in the 4th, so its okay he sucks, but this guy was undrafted, in the 7th, the 6th whatever, and got a better roster spot due to someones decision, so he is just trash.

Its hypocritical.

I'm not missing any point. He's still playing as a starting QB. He's still there, as the reality. Further, what poor *******? He shouldn't have been drafted, let alone in the league, and we took him. He's now making millions of dollars while being one of the absolute worst at his job. He still got a chance to start for an elite franchise and make a name for himself. Poor *******? Are you kidding me?

Booker doesn't suck - he's remarkably average. TS was, for both years, near the bottom of the league in production. He was beyond being bad - he was horrendous. He was to quarterbacking what rocks are to swimming.

The equation takes into account your talent, your ability, your draft stock, your prominence, and your production. The bigger the role the harsher it gets - they're professional athletes...this isn't a random cubicle worker. And believe me, plenty were mad at the morons who put him in that position.

Take it a step further - TS is a backup, right? Well, backup Qb's are expected to complete over 60% of their passes, take care of the ball, and throw more TDs than INTs. That's not a high standard for a backup. TS didn't even do that. He didn't fail because he wasn't throwing up PFM numbers. He failed because he was legitimately one of the worst QB's in the league. And if the distinction is that "well he's so bad that he shouldn't even be a backup," then we agree, and I'm just pissed that he doesn't' even have basic competency.

Or are we not allowed even that anymore?

Krugan
10-18-2018, 10:23 AM
Where Keenum was drafted is completely irrelevant. We didn't draft him. We signed him to a big free agent deal. We paid him to be the starter, so he deserves every ounce of criticism he gets.

Kelly, we picked in the 7th round. So if he never amounts to more than a backup, that's totally ok. You don't expect more than that from a 7th round pick. And if he exceeds that it's just gravy.

I know you're trying to dig for hypocrisy here, but it just doesn't exist.

Actually, that is on Elway and Joseph, for being inept. Its not Cases fault, he is playing to his level. And it does, becuase if draft status matters, it matters across the board, regardless of who starts or sits on the last chosen list.

Krugan
10-18-2018, 10:25 AM
I'm not missing any point. He's still playing as a starting QB. He's still there, as the reality. Further, what poor *******? He shouldn't have been drafted, let alone in the league, and we took him. He's now making millions of dollars while being one of the absolute worst at his job. He still got a chance to start for an elite franchise and make a name for himself. Poor *******? Are you kidding me?

Booker doesn't suck - he's remarkably average. TS was, for both years, near the bottom of the league in production. He was beyond being bad - he was horrendous. He was to quarterbacking what rocks are to swimming.

The equation takes into account your talent, your ability, your draft stock, your prominence, and your production. The bigger the role the harsher it gets - they're professional athletes...this isn't a random cubicle worker. And believe me, plenty were mad at the morons who put him in that position.

Take it a step further - TS is a backup, right? Well, backup Qb's are expected to complete over 60% of their passes, take care of the ball, and throw more TDs than INTs. That's not a high standard for a backup. TS didn't even do that. He didn't fail because he wasn't throwing up PFM numbers. He failed because he was legitimately one of the worst QB's in the league. And if the distinction is that "well he's so bad that he shouldn't even be a backup," then we agree, and I'm just pissed that he doesn't' even have basic competency.

Or are we not allowed even that anymore?

Im not saying you arent allowed anything.

Valar Morghulis
10-18-2018, 10:30 AM
Booker plays at back up level. He is a back up. His draft status is irrelevant in this equation.

Keenum plays at bum level. He is the starter. His draft status is also irrelevant in this equation.

It's about potential, talent, performance and role on the team.

Krugan
10-18-2018, 10:30 AM
Really hope people arent getting bent out of shape over this, I just cant see how there can be a sliding scale. Either your draft position matters or it doesnt. Ill let it go at that, its just a position i seem to be alone in, and the debate isnt one i can sway people on, so ill just remain steadfast in stance and roll with it.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-18-2018, 11:13 AM
Really hope people arent getting bent out of shape over this, I just cant see how there can be a sliding scale. Either your draft position matters or it doesnt. Ill let it go at that, its just a position i seem to be alone in, and the debate isnt one i can sway people on, so ill just remain steadfast in stance and roll with it.

Booker wouldn’t probably draw so much ire if the coaching staff hadn’t spent the last two offseasons pitching him as the heir apparent to CJ.

wayninja
10-18-2018, 11:18 AM
Either your draft position matters or it doesnt.

It really doesn't at the end of the day. Draft position is really just a way to quantify investment, but folks are wrong (on either side) of that investment all the time. Sometimes you end up with bargains and sometimes with baggage.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-18-2018, 11:25 AM
It really doesn't at the end of the day. Draft position is really just a way to quantify investment, but folks are wrong (on either side) of that investment all the time. Sometimes you end up with bargains and sometimes with baggage.
It really doesn’t ...what? Matter? Agreed

Boil water? Debatable

Start combustion engines? Sketchy at best

wayninja
10-18-2018, 11:39 AM
It really doesn’t ...what? Matter? Agreed

Boil water? Debatable

Start combustion engines? Sketchy at best

I quoted "either your draft position matters or it doesn't"

I said "it doesn't". Is the article "it" references unclear?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-18-2018, 12:19 PM
I quoted "either your draft position matters or it doesn't"

I said "it doesn't". Is the article "it" references unclear?

You’re like being specific and serious, man. I had no idea what you were specifically referring to, nor was I remotely serious or concerned.

Jsteve01
10-18-2018, 12:28 PM

Poet
10-18-2018, 12:29 PM
It's a consideration. Sometimes it's relevant like "hey, this seventh round QB is awful...you know like a seventh round QB." Sometimes it's "this is an average RB taken in the fourth." Other times it's "oh wow...we get nothing out of our second rounders.

Other times it's just a wet shit party.

wayninja
10-18-2018, 12:44 PM
You’re like being specific and serious, man. I had no idea what you were specifically referring to, nor was I remotely serious or concerned.

Woah, woah, woah. No need to take that tone. FFS, let's just chill out.

:D

wayninja
10-18-2018, 12:47 PM

I soured on him when his first NFL carry was a fumble. I groaned out loud when I saw him on plays early in the year.

Having said all of that, I feel like his play this year has been effective, and dare I even say, competent. Assuming he makes no more mistakes (read; fumble), I'm very comfortable right where he is. He seems to be proving that 3rd string/utility is a good fit for him. He's young enough that with hard work he could improve on that.

I'm cool with that.

Poet
10-18-2018, 12:50 PM
I tend to like players that people hate on for no solid reason. I mean we will hate on the random tertiary back who had successes and failures when given some prominent playing time...but it took us over an entire season to hate on TS.

And an entire offseason and a big chnk of this season to hate on CK.

I just want to be held.

wayninja
10-18-2018, 12:53 PM
I just want to be held.

@garrettbolles

Poet
10-18-2018, 12:54 PM
@garrettbolles

This is...

Wayninja...you are now officially a Style Brother. You'll probably **** this up and I'll have to boot you and then reinstate you a bunch, ala Jaded...but dammit you're one of us now.

BroncoWave
10-18-2018, 12:56 PM
This is...

Wayninja...you are now officially a Style Brother. You'll probably **** this up and I'll have to boot you and then reinstate you a bunch, ala Jaded...but dammit you're one of us now.

One of us! One of us!

Poet
10-18-2018, 12:59 PM
One of us! One of us!

He's earned it. Also, WN, you can't really refuse this, either. It just happens.

wayninja
10-18-2018, 01:00 PM
I'm honored and indifferent all at the same time.

Poet
10-18-2018, 01:03 PM
I'm honored and indifferent all at the same time.

This is...this is about the proper reaction.

WN, was David Williams any good?

wayninja
10-18-2018, 01:04 PM

I'll be the first to admit that the name hardly registers. Which I realize is an ironic take in a thread designed to talk about him.

In short, I have no idea. You tell me?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-18-2018, 01:04 PM

He flashed a few good plays in the preseason against 3rd stringers, and people were like, “woah.”

Does that help?

Simple Jaded
10-19-2018, 12:54 AM
Broncos have a RB on the PS that’s better than Booker, no hating.

dogfish
10-19-2018, 01:15 AM
Dog he isnt the worst back we have trotted out by quite a ways.

who's worse?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-19-2018, 07:11 AM
Broncos have a RB on the PS that’s better than Booker, no hating.
I honestly thought he would be better than the Muscle Hampster when he got drafted. I missed on that one.

Hawgdriver
10-19-2018, 11:57 AM
Right now I'd prefer we had Williams or Henderson on the roster than Booker. Bit of a head-scratcher for me, but we'll see how their plan unfolds.

underrated29
10-19-2018, 12:09 PM
I heard Royce is out a week or two. Maybe we can bring back Henderson...Or is he on an active roster? We will need a RB if he is indeed out.

Simple Jaded
10-20-2018, 12:38 AM
I heard Royce is out a week or two. Maybe we can bring back Henderson...Or is he on an active roster? We will need a RB if he is indeed out.

Jets PS.

Broncos should bring up McNichols.

Simple Jaded
10-20-2018, 12:40 AM
who's worse?

Ball was pretty shitty.

wayninja
10-20-2018, 12:41 AM
Ball was pretty shitty.

Yeah, but he could break arm tackles.

Simple Jaded
10-20-2018, 12:41 AM
Yeah, but he could break arm tackles.

Valid point, he could break a chicks face too.

BroncoWave
10-20-2018, 05:39 AM
Guys, can you believe our third string running back isn't a pro bowler??!?!!? Elway sux!!1!11!

Valar Morghulis
10-20-2018, 06:05 AM
The jags also picked up Hyde, perhaps they assessed our practice squad undrafted rookie is not the answer to their woes

Weird

Jsteve01
10-20-2018, 08:18 AM
The jags also picked up Hyde, perhaps they assessed our practice squad undrafted rookie is not the answer to their woes

Weird

I rate rhis post a solid C based on the fact rhat williams was actually drafted. The rest was solid VM. Keep it up!

Valar Morghulis
10-20-2018, 09:10 AM
I rate rhis post a solid C based on the fact rhat williams was actually drafted. The rest was solid VM. Keep it up!

Bugger! The public shame lol

Simple Jaded
10-20-2018, 11:05 PM
Guys, can you believe our third string running back isn't a pro bowler??!?!!? Elway sux!!1!11!

Elway has drafted only one PB player, iirc, just sayin.

wayninja
10-20-2018, 11:08 PM
Plus he played really badly getting one of those SB rings.

BroncoWave
10-21-2018, 07:33 AM
Elway has drafted only one PB player, iirc, just sayin.

This isn't an unfair criticism, but I don't think Booker is the hill to die on in that regard. Even the best GM wouldn't be expected to be getting pro bowl players in the 4th round. Those are outliers, not the norm.

Broncos fans just hyped this guy up too much when we drafted him and now act like he's totally useless because he didn't live up to our unrealistic expectations.

wayninja
10-22-2018, 11:55 AM
This isn't an unfair criticism, but I don't think Booker is the hill to die on in that regard. Even the best GM wouldn't be expected to be getting pro bowl players in the 4th round. Those are outliers, not the norm.

Broncos fans just hyped this guy up too much when we drafted him and now act like he's totally useless because he didn't live up to our unrealistic expectations.

I think the real question on everyone's mind is if he can break arm tackles? If so... how many?