PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes when it all goes to hell you get fresh eyes

Poet
10-07-2018, 03:12 PM
Come on in here and heal.

At least this game wasn't squarely on the shoulders of Keenum. This was his best game today. He improved.

Our secondary is bad. Roby is bad. Our safeties are bad. Everyone but CHJ in the secondary struggles.

But we get a chance to rebuild the secondary, soon.

It's okay. Painful, but okay. We need a complete rebuild.

Shazam!
10-07-2018, 03:16 PM
OLine is terrible in pass prot

QB sucks and erratic throws, too off target

Lack of adjustments, questionable predictable playcalling

Consistently looking unprepared

Sloppy tackling

This is one of the worst Coached teams I've ever seen.

aberdien
Bad coaching more than bad players.

Fix it Elway.

MOtorboat
Are you healed!? I say, are you healed!?

Northman
There will be no healing for me until Keenum and VJ are gone.

Poet
10-07-2018, 03:17 PM
Heal.

I will say that Keenum just put up the emptiest 377 yards and two scores I have ever seen. However I'm sure Topscribe almost had a stroke.

Davii
10-07-2018, 03:20 PM
Complete rebuild on the coaching staff. All new OL, only secondary player worth keeping is CHJ. New QB, maybe time to let DT and ES go as we've got some good young WR talent...

I think it starts and stops with the coaching staff. We have a lot of talent, our coaches are terrible and are not putting them in a position to succeed.

VJ should be canned tonight.

aberdien
10-07-2018, 03:23 PM
Complete rebuild on the coaching staff. All new OL, only secondary player worth keeping is CHJ. New QB, maybe time to let DT and ES go as we've got some good young WR talent...

I think it starts and stops with the coaching staff. We have a lot of talent, our coaches are terrible and are not putting them in a position to succeed.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/44b56a3ffc7de9f23b2fb461165e9d62/tenor.gif?itemid=4445019

Poet
10-07-2018, 03:23 PM
Let's get that QB! Get that HC! Get that LT! And get drunk!

AgentOrange
10-07-2018, 03:31 PM
Let's get that QB! Get that HC! Get that LT! And get drunk!

In that order? Or can I change it up?

Poet
10-07-2018, 03:32 PM
You do what you need to do!!!!

BeefStew25
10-07-2018, 03:32 PM
Simmons is a keeper

Poet
10-07-2018, 03:34 PM
Simmons is a keeper

Think Oladipo is a one year wonder?

UnderArmour
10-07-2018, 03:40 PM
We've seen this before. We saw it last year with VJ, and we saw it with Josh McDaniels. Vance is not going to bounce back from this. This team badly needs disciplined coaching.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
10-07-2018, 03:42 PM
Start the overhaul by getting rid of Elway and the entire coaching staff and go from there.

We won a Super Bowl and attracted the players we did because of Peyton Manning. John Elway couldn't have ****** that up if he tried. We've seen his limitations as an executive big time since Peyton's retirement. Unable to properly evaluate talent, makes boneheaded roster decisions, hires the wrong people for the job in terms of coaching and is in over his head when it comes to finding a suitable QB for this franchise.

Mr B would not stand for this crap and would have removed him a season ago.

BeefStew25
10-07-2018, 03:43 PM

No. He’s good. Orlando pisses me off. Our old GM had an extra chromosome.

Poet
10-07-2018, 03:44 PM
No. He’s good. Orlando pisses me off. Our old GM had an extra chromosome.

Wasn't he a Thunder?

Nomad
10-07-2018, 03:45 PM
Beating the Rams will begin the healing process, King.

I'm sensing some of you would rather lose just to get rid of Keenum & Joseph. :D

BeefStew25
10-07-2018, 03:45 PM
Wasn't he a Thunder?

Yeah okc got him from Orlando for an aging Ibaka. Lol

Davii
10-07-2018, 03:46 PM
Start the overhaul by getting rid of Elway and the entire coaching staff and go from there.

We won a Super Bowl and attracted the players we did because of Peyton Manning. John Elway couldn't have ****** that up if he tried. We've seen his limitations as an executive big time since Peyton's retirement. Unable to properly evaluate talent, makes boneheaded roster decisions, hires the wrong people for the job in terms of coaching and is in over his head when it comes to finding a suitable QB for this franchise.

Lol. We got Manning because of Elway which makes the rest of your argument meaningless

Poet

I'm sensing some of you would rather lose just to get rid of Keenum & Joseph. :D

Have you heard the phrase "dead cat bounce?"

Davii

Beating the Rams?

:pound:

Nomad
10-07-2018, 03:47 PM
Have you heard the phrase "dead cat bounce?"

Never have.

Davii
10-07-2018, 03:47 PM
Never have.

Well, now you've heard it. Lol

Davii
10-07-2018, 03:49 PM
Never have.

A small brief recovery in the price of a declining stock. People shoot in and buy thinking it's hit bottom, but it hasn't.

EVEN IF we manage to beat the Rams and get our dead cat bounce that cat is still dead.

UnderArmour
10-07-2018, 03:49 PM

I'd rather keep Elway. Even though Keenum turned out to be a terrible roster decision, the team is not permanently screwed by the contract. The Broncos can still save $10 million by cutting him. Elway gutted our secondary, but he was also the one that assembled them in the first place. There are coaches that could win with this roster, but obviously Vance Joseph is not one of them.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-07-2018, 03:52 PM
We gave up 300 yards on the ground and only scored 16 points.

The Browns are better than us.

I give thee salt for thine wounds!

Nomad
You guys really think Elway is gonna fire VJ any time soon? Or, VJ is gonna bench Keenum?

Mike
Keenum had his best day...due to garbage time stats. He had 2 dropped INTs and didn't have anything going until garbage time. He just isn't a starter.

DC and HC should be gone tonight. Kelly should start the rest of the year. They need to stop rotating Von out and keep him on the field. Nothing they can do about the secondary, but they should never have let Talib go. I would also keep Jewell on the field the rest of the year.

MOtorboat
10-07-2018, 03:55 PM
You guys really think Elway is gonna fire VJ any time soon? Or, VJ is gonna bench Keenum?

I think the former is a lot more likely than the latter. It could come tonight and I don’t think that’s hyperbole or overreaction.

Joseph isn’t benching Keemun. I’m not sure a coaching change will result in a quarterback change, either, though. Kelly is super raw.

Chidoze
10-07-2018, 04:32 PM
I don’t see either of these happening any time soon. So buckle up and enjoy the shit show

Dapper Dan
10-07-2018, 05:07 PM

Oladipo is the real Black Panther.

Shazam!
10-07-2018, 05:56 PM
Keenum had his best day...due to garbage time stats. He had 2 dropped INTs and didn't have anything going until garbage time. He just isn't a starter.

DC and HC should be gone tonight. Kelly should start the rest of the year. They need to stop rotating Von out and keep him on the field. Nothing they can do about the secondary, but they should never have let Talib go. I would also keep Jewell on the field the rest of the year.

Get ready for 2019. This Season is looking like its over already.

NightTerror218
10-07-2018, 07:19 PM
Defense is so bad.... Chubb is not even in the realm of defensive rookie of the year. How is #5 pick not in the top defensive rookies talk

Mike
10-07-2018, 07:23 PM
Defense is so bad.... Chubb is not even in the realm of defensive rookie of the year. How is #5 pick not in the top defensive rookies talk

They are rotating too much and dropping them back in to coverage. Keep it simple, stupid.

NightTerror218
10-07-2018, 07:24 PM
They are rotating too much and dropping them back in to coverage. Keep it simple, stupid.

I see our pass rushers in coverage a lot, because Davis and Marshall suck

Northman
10-07-2018, 07:29 PM
I can see Elway firing VJ if we end up losing next week. He wasnt afraid to let Fox go after a successful season so i hope to god he wont have too much pride in firing a HC who is failing to live up to expectations this year. As far as Keenum, thats going to be VJ's call and not Elways.

Poet
10-07-2018, 07:31 PM
What if they want a new QB but they think Chad Kelly is just awful/worse?

I think he has enough talent to kick the tires on myself, but I'm just posing a hypothetical.

Mike
10-07-2018, 07:33 PM

I think he has enough talent to kick the tires on myself, but I'm just posing a hypothetical.

I mean, we all know that Elway has show ineptitude at evaluating the QB position...so that wouldn't surprise me.

Poet
10-07-2018, 07:35 PM
Mike, you talk smack but when they hire you as the new starter you'll be loyal.

Mike
10-07-2018, 07:37 PM
Mike, you talk smack but when they hire you as the new starter you'll be loyal.

True. As long as I get to share Elway's liquor then I am a team guy.

Northman
10-07-2018, 07:37 PM

If a QB change happens at all i still think Denver (if they are smart) will draft one high (even if they have to trade DT to move up) whether Kelly shows promise or not.

Hawgdriver
10-07-2018, 07:39 PM

Simmons is ok.

Some promising rookies. I don't know how the middle of the O-line stacks up, but the bookends are awful. The D-line is fair.

If Elway can have a 2018 rookie class again next year, but in the personnel dep't, maybe there's hope.

Poet
10-07-2018, 07:40 PM
It would be nice to feel that excitement again.

Nomad
10-07-2018, 07:40 PM
Who are the top draft prospects for QB?

Poet
10-07-2018, 07:42 PM

http://walterfootball.com/draft2019QB.php

Mike
10-07-2018, 07:43 PM
It would be nice to feel that excitement again.

We have some good young talent to build upon. We'll get the magic back. Just got to get rid of the garbage.

elsid13
10-07-2018, 07:44 PM

Herbert, Locke and then other guys.

Mike
10-07-2018, 07:46 PM
Herbert, Locke and then other guys.

Sounds like a Philosophy class.

Poet
10-07-2018, 07:49 PM
Sounds like a Philosophy class.

We just need a Rawls, a Marx, a Satre, and a few randoms who cite to them.

THEN WE CAN FIGHT!

MOtorboat

Browning’s backup over Browning? Lol.

Poet
Browning’s backup over Browning? Lol.

Swag?

I got nothing.

MOtorboat
10-07-2018, 07:50 PM
Swag?

I got nothing.

The Eason kid scares me. He keeps losing quarterback battles but scouts love his measurables. That’s a disaster waiting to happen, IMO.

Dapper Dan
10-07-2018, 07:51 PM

It has to be Hebert. He’s the tallest.

elsid13
10-07-2018, 07:55 PM
I rather go with Ed Oliver then QB, if Denver is picking in the top 5

GEM
10-07-2018, 07:56 PM
The Colts had suck for luck. I'll say it, suck for whoever the top qb in the draft is. We're going to whether we try or not. Lol!

Poet
10-07-2018, 07:58 PM
If the prospect doesn't have a plus arm and plus intellect I don't want him. But Elway should be fired if we start the season with CK UNLESS there's a big talented kid waiting in the wings.

Dapper Dan
10-07-2018, 07:58 PM
The Colts had suck for luck. I'll say it, suck for whoever the top qb in the draft is. We're going to whether we try or not. Lol!

And let’s trade that pick for Luck.

GEM
10-07-2018, 07:59 PM
And let’s trade that pick for Luck.

Minus his spleen. Who needs that shitty organ!

Northman
10-07-2018, 08:07 PM
Taking any defender in the top of the draft next year would be a waste. We need to address the QB position, in a serious manner.

spikerman
10-07-2018, 08:13 PM
I think the general consensus is that next year is a very weak QB draft class.

Shazam!
10-07-2018, 08:15 PM
QB, OLine tackle, DB, TE, S...

At least they good at WR and RB!

Poet
10-07-2018, 08:15 PM
I think the general consensus is that next year is a very weak QB draft class.

Well isn't that just ******* splendid? We had a deep class this year and choose a loser QB who should thank god he's even in the league...and now we have ******y in this class!??!

Is that what you're telling me!??!

We riot!

elsid13
10-07-2018, 08:17 PM
Well isn't that just ******* splendid? We had a deep class this year and choose a loser QB who should thank god he's even in the league...and now we have ******y in this class!??!

Is that what you're telling me!??!

We riot!

Last year were saying it was weak class too. The draft is like 6 month out, lots of time to figure out the class.

MOtorboat
10-07-2018, 08:23 PM
Last year were saying it was weak class too. The draft is like 6 month out, lots of time to figure out the class.

Wait. Who was saying that last year?

Shazam!
10-07-2018, 08:25 PM
This year obviously, we will see what Kelly has first.

Poet

You had an all-around prospect in Darnold, a brilliant and strong armed Rosen, the pure talent of Allen, and the enigmatic Mayfield. People did say that, but they were, in my opinion, trying to find a reason to not draft a QB rather than being honest about the talent.

elsid13

Most of so called “experts” and draft sites.

MOtorboat
10-07-2018, 08:28 PM
Most of so called “experts” and draft sites.

Yikes. I’m just a dude on my couch and knew that class was good.

elsid13
10-07-2018, 08:36 PM
Yikes. I’m just a dude on my couch and knew that class was good.

I agree with you. I thought that Darnold, Rosen and Allen has strong chance to be good. I still think Mayfield is going to flame out, but he has provern me wrong so far.

I’m very interested in Herbert. Good read on him here
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/10/03/justin-herbert-oregon-quarterback-2019-nfl-draft

Cugel
10-07-2018, 08:41 PM

Everybody. THere wasn't even a consensus #1 overall QB, let alone whether other 1st round QBs would be good or not.

The Broncos reportedly liked Sam Bradford. So, they could have picked him at #5 if he had fallen that far, but the Jets moved up and grabbed him.

So, the only people who screwed up there are the Giants who had a chance at #2 to draft him. The Broncos couldn't have done it unless they were willing to give up what the Jets did - their #1 pick, two #2 picks (which the Broncos didn't have) and a #2 next year.

The Broncos, lacking 2 #2s would have had to give up 2 #1 picks.

So, no Bradley Chubb, and no #1 pick next year - which right now is shaping up as a top 10 pick. Or, Bradley Chubb this year and a top 10 QB next year.

If Bradley Chubb eventually turns out to be an All-Pro player - which is expected by virtually all scouts and GMs - he was the consensus best defensive player in the draft and he's starting in his rookie year, then you would say drafting him was the right move, even if Keenum turns out to suck.

Cugel
10-07-2018, 08:44 PM
I agree with you. I thought that Darnold, Rosen and Allen has strong chance to be good. I still think Mayfield is going to flame out, but he has provern me wrong so far.

I’m very interested in Herbert. Good read on him here
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/10/03/justin-herbert-oregon-quarterback-2019-nfl-draft

The Broncos couldn't have drafted Mayfield no matter what they wanted, since Cleveland wouldn't trade that pick, and they coudn't take Darnold without giving up a boatload of picks, just like the Jets did.

Denver sucked it up today, but the Jets are going to struggle for a very long time, because they haven't got a lot of talent around him. Didn't look like that today, but watch and see. The Jets are going to lose at least 10 games this year. They are not that good. The Broncos just suck is all.

MOtorboat
Everybody. THere wasn't even a consensus #1 overall QB, let alone whether other 1st round QBs would be good or not.

The Broncos reportedly liked Sam Bradford. So, they could have picked him at #5 if he had fallen that far, but the Jets moved up and grabbed him.

So, the only people who screwed up there are the Giants who had a chance at #2 to draft him. The Broncos couldn't have done it unless they were willing to give up what the Jets did - their #1 pick, two #2 picks (which the Broncos didn't have) and a #2 next year.

The Broncos, lacking 2 #2s would have had to give up 2 #1 picks.

So, no Bradley Chubb, and no #1 pick next year - which right now is shaping up as a top 10 pick. Or, Bradley Chubb this year and a top 10 QB next year.

If Bradley Chubb eventually turns out to be an All-Pro player - which is expected by virtually all scouts and GMs - he was the consensus best defensive player in the draft and he's starting in his rookie year, then you would say drafting him was the right move, even if Keenum turns out to suck.

Sam Bradford has been in the league for eight years. I’m sure you meant Sam Darnold. I’m aware how things went down in the draft. I don’t recall anyone thinking it was a down draft class because it wasn’t. If you’re reading someone who did think that was a down draft class, stop reading them.

I didn’t read past you conflating Bradford and Darnold.

VonDoom
Is this revisionist history? People were claiming all year that this was the best QB draft in years. Only when it got closer to the draft did everyone try to pick apart each guy, only to come back and again talk everyone up. It was a great class and we blew it by not getting someone.

Cugel
10-07-2018, 08:48 PM
Sam Bradford has been in the league for eight years. I’m sure you meant Sam Darnold. I’m aware how things went down in the draft. I don’t recall anyone thinking it was a down draft class because it wasn’t. If you’re reading someone who did think that was a down draft class, stop reading them.

I didn’t read past you conflating Bradford and Darnold.

I'm not going by MY opinion, but the opinion of NFL GMs. They decided the draft order. Cleveland took Mayfield. Right now that looks like a good move.

The Jets gave up their #1 and 3 #2's to move up 3 spots. The Broncos were reportedly interested in him but didn't want to have to move up and give up their entire draft.

So, it comes down to Allen and Rosen. If either of them turns out to be a star, then you can criticize Elway. But, it makes no sense to criticize them for not drafting players they couldn't have drafted because they were already gone when the Broncos picked.

That is all. :coffee:

Poet
10-07-2018, 08:49 PM
Is this revisionist history? People were claiming all year that this was the best QB draft in years. Only when it got closer to the draft did everyone try to pick apart each guy, only to come back and again talk everyone up. It was a great class and we blew it by not getting someone.

Most of the people saying it was a bad draft wanted the Broncos to go elsewhere. It was sad.

I think Chubb will be great. But we could have gone up and gotten a QB, or taken Rosen or Allen. Out of those three Qb's, surely one of them will pan out, and it's on us to find the real QB. I think Chubb will be great, but solving the QB riddle was more important.

God I hate having garbage as a starting QB.

VonDoom
10-07-2018, 08:51 PM
Anyway, as I see it, we have three major problems right now:

1. Mental midget head coach aka worst coach in the league. The rest of the staff is no bargain either (why did we keep Joe Woods and let Wade walk again? Were people busting down our door to sign this ******* loser?) but VJ brings everyone down. Elway talks a big game but the right move is to leave this guy at the airport.

2. Keenum is even worse than I thought he'd be, and I thought he'd be bad. Another colossal mistake in the QB department, paying this guy for one good year. I figured we'd go around 8-8 and be out of the running for a QB but I guess the good news is this is looking like 4-12 or 5-11 now so we'll be picking top five again.

3. We have a defense that thinks they're still 2015 good. They're not. The regression has been coming every year since and they're flat out not good now. Coaching certainly plays into it, but changes need to be made.

All of these things in combination are sinking us. The word through a mouthpiece like Klis was that Elway thought we were a QB away from contending again. But a) we're not and b) Keenum isn't that guy. So as this season spirals away, hopefully he's thinking long term. This year's draft was a good start, but we need to rebuild for real, not just stick a few new parts in and hope we suddenly dominate on defense again.

VonDoom
10-07-2018, 08:52 PM
I'm not going by MY opinion, but the opinion of NFL GMs. They decided the draft order. Cleveland took Mayfield. Right now that looks like a good move.

The Jets gave up their #1 and 3 #2's to move up 3 spots. The Broncos were reportedly interested in him but didn't want to have to move up and give up their entire draft.

So, it comes down to Allen and Rosen. If either of them turns out to be a star, then you can criticize Elway. But, it makes no sense to criticize them for not drafting players they couldn't have drafted because they were already gone when the Broncos picked.

That is all. :coffee:

If the Broncos wanted Darnold, they could have traded up with the Colts for #3 before the Jets did. Jets were aggressive, we weren't. It doesn't matter now, but teams that want a QB go get them. The Chiefs were a playoff team when they traded a first rounder for Mahomes. We're trying to patch things together with seventh rounders and UDFA QB's. It's not working.

Cugel
10-07-2018, 08:53 PM

THAT is revisionist history! Look, the Giants took a RB and NONE of three QBs.

Now they are being criticized, but it shows that at the time NFL GMs were not all that keen on most of these QBs.

The Jets were all in, but they had no other choice. They sucked and had nobody.

Somebody could have traded up to #4 to take Allen or Rosen, but nobody did. The Broncos were willing to trade back from #5 unless Chubb or Barkley was there.

Chubb was there so they took him at #5.

So, the Broncos weren't the only people who passed on 3 of these QBs. 1/2 the league could have traded up to #10 - just like the Cardinals did to get Rosen. Nobody did.

The fans and media consensus about these QBs was not matched at the time by NFL GMs. Lots of them had chances to draft one of these QBs and passed.

FanInAZ
10-07-2018, 08:53 PM

So how has that worked out for the Colts?

1st 3 seasons: 3 play-off appearance, 2 division titles, 1 AFCCG appearance.

Last 3 completed season: 1 1/2 healthy seasons from Luck, 2 8 win seasons, 1 4 win season.

This season, through 5 games: 1-4.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LuckAn00.htm

Poet
10-07-2018, 08:56 PM

Now they are being criticized, but it shows that at the time NFL GMs were not all that keen on most of these QBs.

Somebody could have traded up to #4 to take Allen or Rosen, but nobody did. The Broncos were willing to trade back from #5 unless Chubb or Barkley was there.

So, the Broncos weren't the only people who passed on 3 of these QBs. 1/2 the league could have traded up to #10 - just like the Cardinals did to get Rosen. Nobody did.

The fans and media consensus about these QBs was not matched at the time by NFL GMs. Lots of them had chances to draft one of these QBs and passed.

Actually the buzz through the entire regular season (last one) was how loaded this one was.

Rosen dropped because he had what were perceived as attitude issues. Allen didn't drop, he was taken in the top ten purely off of the strength of his physical gets. The Giants are currently being mocked for not taking a QB and most of this past class are getting rave reviews (everyone loves Darnold and Mayfield) Stink is impressed with Rosen, and the only guy getting blown up is Allen. Oh, and fwiw the Allen scandal might have hurt his stock a little bit.

Poet
10-07-2018, 08:56 PM

Last 3 completed season: 1 1/2 healthy seasons from Luck, 2 8 win seasons, 1 4 win season.

They were contenders with a healthy Luck and then slowly drowned him via bad talent. I'm not certain we can say it was wrong for them to do Suck for Luck so much as saying when you get the real deal please give him some players.

VonDoom
10-07-2018, 08:58 PM

Most people said it was a mistake for the Giants not to take Darnold. I live in NY, trust me

Cugel
10-07-2018, 08:58 PM
If the Broncos wanted Darnold, they could have traded up with the Colts for #3 before the Jets did. Jets were aggressive, we weren't. It doesn't matter now, but teams that want a QB go get them. The Chiefs were a playoff team when they traded a first rounder for Mahomes. We're trying to patch things together with seventh rounders and UDFA QB's. It's not working.

I already explained. The Broncos couldn't have traded up to #3 unless they gave up the same consideration the Jets did. The Jets gave up their #6 pick, plus two second round picks this year, plus their 2nd round pick NEXT year.

That's four picks to move up 3 places. THe Broncos didn't have 2 2nd round picks this year, so they would have to give up their #1 pick NEXT year.

And the team wouldn't be any better this year so that #1 pick next year would be a top 10 pick!

How great would you feel watching the Colts using the Broncos 5th pick of the draft in 2019 to take a player and Denver wouldn't even pick until the 2nd day of the draft!

Because that is what your decision would cost.

FanInAZ
10-07-2018, 09:00 PM
They were contenders with a healthy Luck and then slowly drowned him via bad talent. I'm not certain we can say it was wrong for them to do Suck for Luck so much as saying when you get the real deal please give him some players.

Thank you. I was thinking about pointing out the fact that its not all about the QB, but I decided to let someone else make that point for me.

Poet
10-07-2018, 09:05 PM
Thank you. I was thinking about pointing out the fact that its not all about the QB, but I decided to let someone else make that point for me.

It's a useless point, though - without the QB you have nothing. You have to get the QB, and then build around him. Lucky was a franchise QB and carried a bad roster to the playoffs and got W's three years in a row. It took years four and five for him to start to crumble. When you go "well how'd that work out for them," and the results were good up until a long point, you're not making a very good point. You came across as saying "well, that was stupid, they only turned around their shitty franchise instantly and replaced PFM in two seasons."

We could take a top ten LT, a top ten RT, a solid coverage LB, and a solid TE and add it to this team. You know what we'd have? A 9-7 WC contender because CK is our QB. That's how important a QB is.

Or, in a different hypothetical we could have Andrew Luck on this line and then marvel at how much better this line got, how much more consistent the WRs all, how all of a sudden the box isn't as stacked, and how the defense doesn't get as gassed because we get more first downs.

QB or bust.

BroncoWave
10-07-2018, 09:17 PM

You can't predict injuries. That doesn't mean sucking for luck was a bad move. To suggest it was is just flat out ridiculous.

FanInAZ
10-07-2018, 09:34 PM
It's a useless point, though - without the QB you have nothing. You have to get the QB, and then build around him. Lucky was a franchise QB and carried a bad roster to the playoffs and got W's three years in a row. It took years four and five for him to start to crumble. When you go "well how'd that work out for them," and the results were good up until a long point, you're not making a very good point. You came across as saying "well, that was stupid, they only turned around their shitty franchise instantly and replaced PFM in two seasons."

We could take a top ten LT, a top ten RT, a solid coverage LB, and a solid TE and add it to this team. You know what we'd have? A 9-7 WC contender because CK is our QB. That's how important a QB is.

Or, in a different hypothetical we could have Andrew Luck on this line and then marvel at how much better this line got, how much more consistent the WRs all, how all of a sudden the box isn't as stacked, and how the defense doesn't get as gassed because we get more first downs.

QB or bust.

1) Keenum led the Vikings to the NFCCG last year, Foles led the Eagles to the SB championship.

2) Our :defense: overcame out O's enpetitude to led us to the SB 50 championship.

3) Your VJ implementing your philosophy cost us the game against the Chiefs, who couldn't stop Lindsay or Freeman. So why did Keenum throw the ball 33 times, while Lindsay & Freeman combined for just 20 carries? Because VJ is ascribes to your theory that on philosophy fits all teams, QB or bust, rather then mine in which you base your O on who ever is/are your best player(s). Our O personnel is comparable to the '72 Dolphins, & I believe that we'd be much more successful modeling ourselves after them then the Patriots of today.

Larry Csonka: 213 carries, 1117 yards, 6 TDs.
Mercury Morris: 190 carries, 1000 yards & 12 TDs
Earl Morrall/Bob Griese: 136-247, 1998 yards & 15 TDs.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/mia/1972.htm
Note: Stats reflect that they only played 14 game seasons back then.

11 Years later, Don Shula drafted Dan Marino & build the most pass happy O around him that the league had seen to that point. That's the kind of coach we need.

Poet
10-07-2018, 09:39 PM
1) Keenum led the Vikings to the NFCCG last year, Foles led the Eagles to the SB championship.

2) Our :defense: overcame out O's enpetitude to led us to the SB 50 championship.

3) Your VJ implementing your philosophy cost us the game against the Chiefs, who couldn't stop Lindsay or Freeman. So why did Keenum throw the ball 33 times, while Lindsay & Freeman combined for just 20 carries? Because VJ is ascribes to your theory that on philosophy fits all teams, QB or bust, rather then mine in which you base your O on who ever is/are your best player(s). Our O personnel is comparable to the '72 Dolphins, & I believe that we'd be much more successful modeling ourselves after them then the Patriots of today.

Larry Csonka: 213 carries, 1117 yards, 6 TDs.1

11 Years later, Don Shula drafted Dan Marino & build the most pass happy O around him that the league had seen to that point. That's the kind of coach we need.

1 - No, he didn't. I'm tired of rehashing the damning facts of that season but a team that ran the ball at a 3.9 YPC clip kept running the ball to protect him. Furthermore, CK was ranked one of the worst deep ball passers last season, in spite of having what is regarded as one of the best, if not the best, WR duo in the game. He also played game manager because last season the Vikings had an elite defense. So no, he didn't lead them anywhere. In fact he almost got them bounced out of the playoffs in their first game with his horrid play, and then was horribly ineffective in the NFCG.

2 - Our defense was a historic defense. It took quite some time to put together, and was then raided the next year, and became good, not great. Then the next season it was still good, but worse. Now it isn't even good. In other words, it's really hard to keep an elite defense together.

3 - Whose philosophy? I didn't tell them to have shitty CK throw the ball a lot. I want them to run the ball with CK because he's horrible. Wanting to get a great QB doesn't mean you don't run the ball. You're now arguing against a point I never made. But you seem to assume that anyone who wants a real QB thinks we should only ever throw the ball. I don't understand it, I really don't.

The fact that you're now citing to games in the 70's doesn't detract from any point I've ever made, unless I once argued that Larry Csonka and company never existed.

FanInAZ
10-07-2018, 09:43 PM
You can't predict injuries. That doesn't mean sucking for luck was a bad move. To suggest it was is just flat out ridiculous.

Suck for Luck didn't solve all of their problems that came apparent when he did get injured. How did the Patriots do when Brady went down if the 1st game of the 2008 season? 11-5 with Cassel. How about during Brady's 4 game suspension? 3-1 with their 3rd string QB getting 1 of those wins when the 2nd string went down with an injury. Why? Because no matter how important Brady is to them, he not look upon to single highhandedly win every game.

Poet
10-07-2018, 09:45 PM
Suck for Luck didn't solve all of their problems that came apparent when he did get injured. How did the Patriots do when Brady went down if the 1st game of the 2008 season? 11-5 with Cassel. How about during Brady's 4 game suspension? 3-1 with their 3rd string QB getting 1 of those wins when the 2nd string went down with an injury. Why? Because no matter how important Brady is to them, he not look upon to single highhandedly win every game.

Suck for Luck got them into the postseason the year they drafted him and he won them playoff games.

No one is saying you put everything on a QB. Stop arguing against points no one else has made. Oh, and how did Curtis Painter do when he replaced PFM? And did the Patriots make the playoffs with Cassel? And does the fact that the Patriots have arguably the greatest HC ever not make you go "Hmm...I wonder if this example speaks to the majority of situations?"

No one has said you get a franchise QB and then you don't get him any help. You're not making any sense.

FanInAZ
10-07-2018, 09:55 PM
1 - No, he didn't. I'm tired of rehashing the damning facts of that season but a team that ran the ball at a 3.9 YPC clip kept running the ball to protect him. Furthermore, CK was ranked one of the worst deep ball passers last season, in spite of having what is regarded as one of the best, if not the best, WR duo in the game. He also played game manager because last season the Vikings had an elite defense. So no, he didn't lead them anywhere. In fact he almost got them bounced out of the playoffs in their first game with his horrid play, and then was horribly ineffective in the NFCG.

2 - Our defense was a historic defense. It took quite some time to put together, and was then raided the next year, and became good, not great. Then the next season it was still good, but worse. Now it isn't even good. In other words, it's really hard to keep an elite defense together.

3 - Whose philosophy? I didn't tell them to have shitty CK throw the ball a lot. I want them to run the ball with CK because he's horrible. Wanting to get a great QB doesn't mean you don't run the ball. You're now arguing against a point I never made. But you seem to assume that anyone who wants a real QB thinks we should only ever throw the ball. I don't understand it, I really don't.

The fact that you're now citing to games in the 70's doesn't detract from any point I've ever made, unless I once argued that Larry Csonka and company never existed.

The QB or bust philosophy in the previous post of yours that I sited, in which you demand that your ineffective QB continue to throw the ball in spite of the fact that the opposing D can't stop your top 2 RBs. Your detailed "rebuttal" of my 1st 2 points illustrates how teams have recently won with a mediocre at best QBs. The fact that the only team in NFL history to have 2 1,000 yard rushers in the same season played in the 70s doesn't negate the fact that we have a pair of backs that could duplicate the feat if given the chance, but we won't give them that chance because of VJ buying into your QB or bust philosophy.

FanInAZ
10-07-2018, 09:57 PM
No one is saying you put everything on a QB.

Actually, King's QB or bust says exactly that.

slim
10-07-2018, 09:57 PM

Larry Csonka: 213 carries, 1117 yards, 6 TDs.

We need a coach who lucks into one of the greatest QBs of all time and then fails to a win a SB with him?

No thanks.

Poet
10-07-2018, 10:03 PM
Actually, King's QB or bust says exactly that.

It was in reference to what we should do next year and asserted upon the pretty obvious reality that in today's NFL if you don't have a QB you aren't much of a contender.

It's okay to ask for clarification.

Poet
10-07-2018, 10:05 PM
The QB or bust philosophy in the previous post of yours that I sited, in which you demand that your ineffective QB continue to throw the ball in spite of the fact that the opposing D can't stop your top 2 RBs. Your detailed "rebuttal" of my 1st 2 points illustrates how teams have recently won with a mediocre at best QBs. The fact that the only team in NFL history to have 2 1,000 yard rushers in the same season played in the 70s doesn't negate the fact that we have a pair of backs that could duplicate the feat if given the chance, but we won't give them that chance because of VJ buying into your QB or bust philosophy.

When did I demand that the shitty QB throw the ball more? In the gameday threads I literally wanted us to run the ball more. I'm done debating with you because there's nothing to debate. I didn't say only throw the ball - I said go ******* get a QB for next year.

Again, if you don't understand what someone's saying (which has been a problem in this thread at least) then ask for clarification.

Have a wonderful night.

FanInAZ
10-07-2018, 10:19 PM
When did I demand that the shitty QB throw the ball more? In the gameday threads I literally wanted us to run the ball more. I'm done debating with you because there's nothing to debate. I didn't say only throw the ball - I said go ******* get a QB for next year.

Again, if you don't understand what someone's saying (which has been a problem in this thread at least) then ask for clarification.

Have a wonderful night.

I fully understand what you, and several others, have been saying for years. The fact is, if few then 20% of the starting QBs in the league at any given time are "elite," then what are the 80% of the teams without an elite QB going to do? What the Eagles & Vikings did last year is 1 option, building an O that the entire league is as unprepared to stop hasn't been used since the 90s. Kind of like how Tebow led us to a 6 game winning streak & a play-off win by not playing the QB position in the manner the league was prepared to stop because NFL defenses are supposed to be too athletic for college style Os to work.

Poet
10-07-2018, 10:28 PM
You're conflating points and asserting statements that we didn't assert. Saying "QB or bust," in reference to going out and getting a QB doesn't equate to "get a QB and then do nothing else to help him," or "never run the ball."

You have a wonderful night.

FanInAZ
10-07-2018, 10:31 PM
You're conflating points and asserting statements that we didn't assert. Saying "QB or bust," in reference to going out and getting a QB doesn't equate to "get a QB and then do nothing else to help him," or "never run the ball."

You have a wonderful night.

You being just like me when I know I need to stop what ever activity that I'm involved in & go to bed, but I'm so involved that I can't stop myself :lol:

BeefStew25
10-07-2018, 10:44 PM
King I sure like 88.

Poet
10-07-2018, 11:00 PM
King I sure like 88.

He is a beautiful man and once again outplayed Sanders.

Hawgdriver
10-07-2018, 11:04 PM
We need a coach who lucks into one of the greatest QBs of all time and then fails to a win a SB with him?

No thanks.

Man. I don't know what to think.

Part of me wishes we had the dude in LA, McVay I think is his name.

He makes me think of adapting and sharp tactics and play.

But he hasn't really won shit yet. But they have to be optimistic out there.

Really, we need the next BB hitting his major FU world period. A dude, maybe a retread, maybe he's new, but he's legit and unhappy with what he's accomplished.

Poet
10-07-2018, 11:05 PM

Really, we need the next BB hitting his major FU world period. A dude, maybe a retread, maybe he's new, but he's legit and unhappy with what he's accomplished.

This is how I feel. I want an offensive coach, but if we had a defensive guy who hired great offensive minds around him, that'd also work. We just need greatness in some form.

spikerman
10-07-2018, 11:12 PM
This is how I feel. I want an offensive coach, but if we had a defensive guy who hired great offensive minds around him, that'd also work. We just need greatness in some form.

Ok, ok, I’ll do it.

slim
10-07-2018, 11:14 PM

Right, but who fits that description?

I can't really think of anyone. Todd Haley? Jim Schwartz?

spikerman
10-07-2018, 11:15 PM
I’m kind of on the Jim Bob Cooter train.

slim
10-07-2018, 11:16 PM

IDK, man. James Cooter? Yeah, I like it.

Simple Jaded
10-07-2018, 11:18 PM

Jewell was on the field for most of those huge runs, getting blocked ... well. Iirc the only one he wasn’t in for was Powell’s.

FanInAZ
10-07-2018, 11:21 PM

Wasn't he involved in some "mini-scandal" about a dozen years ago? I do recall having heard his name from years ago, but it had something to do with something bad? Or did he replace someone who did something bad? Or is his name similar to someone who did something bad? I'm not sure, I'm just not that into college sports enough.

Hawgdriver
10-07-2018, 11:21 PM
Right, but who fits that description?

I can't really think of anyone. Todd Haley? Jim Schwartz?

No idea man. That's dogfish, G, and MO territory.

Simple Jaded
10-07-2018, 11:24 PM
Simmons is ok.

Some promising rookies. I don't know how the middle of the O-line stacks up, but the bookends are awful. The D-line is fair.

If Elway can have a 2018 rookie class again next year, but in the personnel dep't, maybe there's hope.

And by “a 2018 rookie class” you mean Sutton?

Hawgdriver
10-07-2018, 11:25 PM
And by “a 2018 rookie class” you mean Sutton?

No, I mean Chubb, Sutton, Freeman, Yiadom, Jewell, and Lindsay.

Simple Jaded
10-07-2018, 11:32 PM
Taking any defender in the top of the draft next year would be a waste. We need to address the QB position, in a serious manner.

Speaking of taking this seriously.

Team A and Team B needed a QB in the worst way.

Team A signed a journeyman backup.

Team B signed a journeyman backup, signed a former 1st round pick with actual NFL success to a One-year-prove-it-deal and drafted a top prospect 3rd overall.

Team A and Team B played each other today, guess which team took their QB situation seriously and won?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-07-2018, 11:35 PM
We don’t need to “suck for Luck”. Because well, we already suck.

Simple Jaded
10-07-2018, 11:36 PM
No, I mean Chubb, Sutton, Freeman, Yiadom, Jewell, and Lindsay.

Oh I forgot about Freeman and Lindsey.

BeefStew25
10-07-2018, 11:36 PM
Oh I forgot about Freeman and Lindsey.

And our new punter.

dogfish
10-07-2018, 11:48 PM
No idea man. That's dogfish, G, and MO territory.

G and MO, anyway. . . not sure i got anybody who fits your description off the top of my head. . . maybe mike mularkey? slim's probably right with haley and schwartz. . . i don't want any of 'em. . . my interview short list would probably be matt lafleur, john de filippo, cooter, and dave toub. . . maybe david shaw as a darkhorse candidate. . .

dogfish
Wasn't he involved in some "mini-scandal" about a dozen years ago? I do recall having heard his name from years ago, but it had something to do with something bad? Or did he replace someone who did something bad? Or is his name similar to someone who did something bad? I'm not sure, I'm just not that into college sports enough.

he went through a drive-through naked. . . no big deal. . .

Simple Jaded
You guys they were calling ‘18 “The Year Of The QB”, this was even before Mayfield worked his was into 1st round contention.

I agree with Sid in that at this time of year it’s generally considered a weak class.

Players usually come out of nowhere, Wentz for example, and the class begins to provide more hope.

Daniel Jones was on his way to doing just that, then he broke his shoulder. This usually happens every year.

Magnificent Seven
10-07-2018, 11:49 PM
HC Vance Joseph got outcoached many times.

Simple Jaded
10-07-2018, 11:50 PM
Who among us hasn’t gone through the drive-thru neked?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-07-2018, 11:54 PM
Under my clothes I was neked

NightTrainLayne
10-07-2018, 11:54 PM

Which drive-through?

This makes all the difference in the world.

Simple Jaded
10-08-2018, 12:00 AM

The Jets had no other choice? So far this season they’ve had/have 3 QB’s that better than anything the Broncos have had since PFM retired.

And btw, VonDoom’s point was not “ revisionist history”, it’s literally documented history. What you’re trying to do is interpret what complete strangers were thinking by actions they didn’t take, THAT sounds like revisionist history .

dogfish
10-08-2018, 12:04 AM
Which drive-through?

This makes all the difference in the world.

nevermind. . . google says that was another lions coach, joe cullen. . . cooter has a DUI, and a sexual assault for climbing in a woman's window, stripping to his skivvies and climbing in bed with her. . . maybe hold off on him for now. . .

Simple Jaded
10-08-2018, 12:09 AM
Let’s get a starter before worrying about what happens if the starter goes down/gets suspended.

Simple Jaded
10-08-2018, 12:10 AM
nevermind. . . google says that was another lions coach, joe cullen. . . cooter has a DUI, and a sexual assault for climbing in a woman's window, stripping to his skivvies and climbing in bed with her. . . maybe hold off on him for now. . .

Why? I’m not even sure sexual assault is even a crime anymore.

Hawgdriver
10-08-2018, 02:15 AM

that sounds like Wednesday night for me

BroncoWave
10-08-2018, 05:54 AM

As King so eloquently put it, no one has argued that getting a QB solves all problems and you don't have to do anything else. Of course to still have to put good pieces around him. Yes, the colts have failed spectacularly at that, but that doesn't mean to that the sucking for luck part was the wrong move. That part they nailed. They just blew part 2 of the plan.

VonDoom
10-08-2018, 06:42 AM
Speaking of taking this seriously.

Team A and Team B needed a QB in the worst way.

Team A signed a journeyman backup.

Team B signed a journeyman backup, signed a former 1st round pick with actual NFL success to a One-year-prove-it-deal and drafted a top prospect 3rd overall.

Team A and Team B played each other today, guess which team took their QB situation seriously and won?

Yep, this has been my point for months. We signed Keenum and treated him like he was some untouchable established veteran who was our guaranteed starter, then stopped looking. Some teams actually tried to look to the future

BroncoWave
10-08-2018, 06:49 AM
I don’t see either of these happening any time soon. So buckle up and enjoy the shit show

I said this in another thread, but I think the earliest any of these plugs get pulled is the week 10 bye. If we're 2-7 or 3-6 at that point, I think VJ is gone and Kelly is probably starting. 4-5 or better, I think Elway tries to stick it out because we're still probably only a game or 2 out of the wildcard at that point. That's not what I would personally do if we were 4-5 at the bye, but it's what I think Elway would do. At that point, probably no one gets fired or benched until official playoff elimination.

NightTrainLayne
10-08-2018, 04:52 PM
. . . and a sexual assault for climbing in a woman's window, stripping to his skivvies and climbing in bed with her. . . maybe hold off on him for now. . .

Didn't VJ essentially do the same? Climb in bed with a woman while she was sleeping? We're already across that bridge. :D

Northman
10-08-2018, 04:57 PM
Who among us hasn’t gone through the drive-thru neked?

Hmmm, nope. Cant say that i have. I have had sex in a coffin though, you?

Poet
10-08-2018, 05:03 PM

That time I had to wear the Brady jersey.

iLands
10-09-2018, 04:47 AM

Harbaugh

EastCoastBronco
10-09-2018, 06:58 AM

I saw a porno once where they had sex in a coffin.
It was some Dracula knock off.
Suck Me Dry, I think it was called.

Hawgdriver
10-09-2018, 10:24 AM
Harbaugh

Maybe. If this was announced today, how would I feel?

Probably ok with it. I'd assume he'd learned from SF and Michigan and he's a bit more mature. He checks the 'the chip on the shoulder' box.