PDA

View Full Version : First time in NFL history more than 6 QBs over 100 passer rating after 1st quarter. There are 10.

Broncoknight30
10-04-2018, 05:48 AM
http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating

The absurdity of the NFL rules and the NO DEFENSE IS ALLOWED plan. Some people like that. I do not find it all that interesting. Yes, Case Keenum Sucks. I am thinking that it may have a little something to do with coaching. For those thinking coaching does not play a part, let us just look at Jared Goff and Jeff Fisher. I do not need to get too in depth with it. We know what happened. We also know what Keenum did with an actual decent coach in Zimmer. Doesn't help that Bolles is a pure bust right now and really cannot play the LT position.

The bigger point is this league is a mere watered down version of what it once was. Like I said, some of you find that entertaining. I guess I am little old fashioned and would appreciate if it was weeee bit more difficult for QBs to throw 5 or 6 TDs in a game.

BroncoWave
10-04-2018, 06:01 AM
Yeah, the fact that the rules so blatantly favor QBs now and Keenum is still playing this badly says a lot.

Poet
10-04-2018, 09:07 AM
Ratings are going back up. QB's are healthy. People like this product. It is what it is - the rule is good for the bottom line, I guess.

I just wish we drafted Rosen. Keenum was still a bad QB last year. He was just masked. For reference, the Vikings were awful at running the ball and still ran it more than anyone else, in spite of their 3.9 average. They ran the ball to keep it out of Keenum's hands. The advanced stats show that Keenum was an awful deep ball passer and a lot of his completions came as a result of great WR play. Note that the WR play in Minny has gone up since Keenum departed, albeit it sucks that their defense is just ragged this season.

Keenum was a poor QB before Fisher and after Fisher. He was a poor QB with Kubiak, too. The fact that his best season was a game manager season with a loaded team last year, in an era of exploding offensive numbers should tell you something, and it's not that Keenum's struggling because of his coaches. He regressed to what he is, and what he is is a guy who is a backup. And at times, as a backup, he was almost out of the league.

Northman
10-04-2018, 09:09 AM
Rules favor the QB but ours sucks balls.

Broncoknight30
10-04-2018, 09:39 AM
Ratings are going back up. QB's are healthy. People like this product. It is what it is - the rule is good for the bottom line, I guess.

I just wish we drafted Rosen. Keenum was still a bad QB last year. He was just masked. For reference, the Vikings were awful at running the ball and still ran it more than anyone else, in spite of their 3.9 average. They ran the ball to keep it out of Keenum's hands. The advanced stats show that Keenum was an awful deep ball passer and a lot of his completions came as a result of great WR play. Note that the WR play in Minny has gone up since Keenum departed, albeit it sucks that their defense is just ragged this season.

Keenum was a poor QB before Fisher and after Fisher. He was a poor QB with Kubiak, too. The fact that his best season was a game manager season with a loaded team last year, in an era of exploding offensive numbers should tell you something, and it's not that Keenum's struggling because of his coaches. He regressed to what he is, and what he is is a guy who is a backup. And at times, as a backup, he was almost out of the league.

Yeah, ratings are suspiciously going back up. Nielsen has finally found a way to track the streaming numbers.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/18/nielsen-netflix-hulu-amazon-prime-ratings/

I personally felt the ratings were not being accurately tracked and last year they finally started tracking the live streaming with new technology.

Plus, if you notice, the kneeling thing has all but disappeared in the news. That is not by accident.

Although, i still maintain that Anthem kneeling had less effect on ratings than was being reported.

NASCAR numbers have been down as much as 20% and they have no issues with Anthems, flags and kneeling.

I am just not that amused by passing when it is soooo much easier now.

Poet
10-04-2018, 09:41 AM
Knight, it's subjective and I feel you. I think that we are seeing some good QB's 'play great' and some great QB's play 'even greater' and I think the change in rules, which has been going on for awhile, has allowed for the longevity of some QB's. If the QB hit rules hadn't been slowly changed spanning back to 2005, I doubt we'd see so many QB's stick around as long as they have, albeit there have been some outliers in the past.

Dapper Dan
10-04-2018, 05:51 PM
Too many flags. It’s boring. Hard to watch. Hard to listen to.

Poet
10-04-2018, 06:25 PM
If they clean up the flags a bit it'll be better. I don't mind the game gearing towards offense. I just care that it's to this degree. Maybe holding calls need to be enforced a bit more, and maybe we need to walk back some of the PI and coverage/secondary calls. If QBs are what drives the league and makes the money, then messing with the QB by messing with his 'toys' is probably the best way to go. It's not like Wr's get hurt on a run of the mill illegal contact or even PI call, so there's not a safety concern.

Cugel
10-05-2018, 12:41 AM

That's a theory, but the Vikings, with an obviously better QB in Cousins are 1-2-1 (which is really equal to 1-3). So, how "loaded" are they really? They had a really good season, Keenum had a really good season, but they don't even look like a playoff team right now.

What's really true is that Keenum was supposed to be a game managing QB only his offensive line is still rubbish. And the defense lost that last game.

2nd and 31? Are you freaking kidding me? They gave up a first down when they had 2nd and 31? All they needed was a stop and they win the game. That last drive should never have been necessary at all.

"You don't even convert 2nd and 31 in Madden!" -- Brandon Stokely.

If the defense is going to play like that then this team has no chance at all. Because the entire foundation was supposed to be run the ball and play great defense. Keenum has sucked, but he wasn't why they lost that game. He almost won it and then screwed up a throw to DT, but realistically, the defense lost it.

MOtorboat
10-05-2018, 02:28 AM
That's why you pay up for a good quarterback or draft one early. Quit spending time on scrubs like Siemian and Keenum.

Also, the product is in no way worse. This product is fantastic.

Broncoknight30
10-05-2018, 02:51 AM
That's why you pay up for a good quarterback or draft one early. Quit spending time on scrubs like Siemian and Keenum.

Tom Brady wasn't drafted early
Drew Brees wasn't drafted early.
Kirk cousins wasn't drafted early.
Russell Wilson wasn't drafted early.

A lot of QBs drafted early suck.

Just sayin

MOtorboat
10-05-2018, 03:00 AM

Just sayin

And those are the outliers. You keep using outliers to make your arguments that quarterbacks don't matter. Quarterbacks matter. You can't bank on lucking into one or lowballing the position.

On your four quarterbacks listed:

The Patriots had Drew Bledsoe when they took a flier on Brady, and got lucky when Bledsoe got injured. Because he takes less money now is completely irrelevant to any actual argument towards going cheap at the quarterback. It's a luxury to have a quarterback who's wife makes more than he does, and he's made enough money to set up his great-grandchildren. It's the exception. Not the rule. And using Brady as a reason why a team shouldn't invest at quarterback is truly moronic.

The Chargers took Drew Brees in the early second round, so I'm not going to concede that's not investing in the quarterback, and then the Saints paid him significantly which is quite obviously investing in a quarterback.

Kirk Cousins was an insurance policy for taking Robert Griffin, in the same draft, at No. 2. The Redskins were ambitiously, and in some ways unconventionally, investing in the position in that draft. Minnesota paid for a top flight quarterback.

Russell Wilson was drafted as a development quarterback behind Matt Flynn. The Seahawks invested heavily in the quarterback position that year, and lucked into the cheaper quarterback being the stud.

Northman
10-05-2018, 07:52 AM

Just sayin

THere are also a lot of QB's taken later that suck. Lol

Broncoknight30
10-05-2018, 08:08 AM
THere are also a lot of QB's taken later that suck. Lol

There are a lot of QBs taken in the first round that suck. Lol

Poet
10-05-2018, 09:00 AM
Brees was the 32nd overall pick.

Nomad
10-05-2018, 09:10 AM

I really haven't paid attention, but who are your top prospects for 2019 draft? I know you like Browning, but who's your top 5?

Northman
10-05-2018, 09:33 AM
And those are the outliers. You keep using outliers to make your arguments that quarterbacks don't matter. Quarterbacks matter. You can't bank on lucking into one or lowballing the position.

The Patriots had Drew Bledsoe when they took a flier on Brady, and got lucky when Bledsoe got injured. Because he takes less money now is completely irrelevant to any actual argument towards going cheap at the quarterback. It's a luxury to have a quarterback who's wife makes more than he does, and he's made enough money to set up his great-grandchildren. It's the exception. Not the rule. And using Brady as a reason why a team shouldn't invest at quarterback is truly moronic.

The Chargers took Drew Brees in the early second round, so I'm not going to concede that's not investing in the quarterback, and then the Saints paid him significantly which is quite obviously investing in a quarterback.

Kirk Cousins was an insurance policy for taking Robert Griffin, in the same draft, at No. 2. The Redskins were ambitiously, and in some ways unconventionally, investing in the position in that draft. Minnesota paid for a top flight quarterback.

Russell Wilson was drafted as a development quarterback behind Matt Flynn. The Seahawks invested heavily in the quarterback position that year, and lucked into the cheaper quarterback being the stud.

Boom!

Jsteve01
10-06-2018, 06:51 AM

Boom!

Ever hear the story about how Jack Elway loved Brees? Oh how that could have played out....wow