PDA

View Full Version : Practice / press conference notes - week 5 (Jets week)

VonDoom
10-03-2018, 12:46 PM
TV maps up today - very regional again, as it’s the early game:

http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2018&wk=5

MOtorboat
10-03-2018, 01:02 PM
TV maps up today - very regional again, as it’s the early game:

http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2018&wk=5

Was afraid of that...I’ll have to Red Zone it and watch the full game that night.

VonDoom
10-03-2018, 01:25 PM
Nicki Jhabvala @NickiJhabvala
Broncos CB Adam Jones was here for morning meetings but was excused for practice to tend to a family issue.

Troy Renck @TroyRenck
No Jared Veldheer practicing. Still hopeful not a serious knee injury. Brock is practicing. #Broncos #Denver7

Jared Veldheer said to have a knee bruise. Not at practice. If he can’t go Sunday, Billy Turner will start at RT and Elijah Wilkinson will be the swing tackle.

Mike Klis @MikeKlis
Marquette King not practicing. #9sports

VonDoom
10-03-2018, 02:09 PM
https://twitter.com/mikeklis/status/1047558424890724352?s=21

Shazam!
10-03-2018, 02:32 PM
https://twitter.com/mikeklis/status/1047558424890724352?s=21

I can never see these posts through the App.

VonDoom
10-03-2018, 02:38 PM
I can never see these posts through the App.

King had an MRI on his groin

VonDoom
10-03-2018, 02:40 PM
Ryan Edwards @redwardsradio
Von Miller was limited today with a thigh injury. #Broncos

Andrew Mason @MaseDenver
Gotsis did not practice; he had a knee issue that is “very mild,” Joseph said.

Troy Renck @TroyRenck
#Broncos King was out with thigh. Davis with slight shoulder issue. Veldheer bone bruise on knee. Adam Jones was excused #Denver7

Nomad
10-03-2018, 07:13 PM
Woohoo...I’m really shocked we get the Broncos/ Jets game....not complaining. I won’t be surprised if it’s changed to Jax/KC by Sunday.

VonDoom
10-03-2018, 09:25 PM
It appears there’s going to be a punt-off this week at Broncos headquarters, sources tell 9NEWS.

It will be the relatively unknown Colby Wadman vs. the punting celebrity that is Marquette King.

For various reasons, the Broncos as of Wednesday were leaning toward Wadman making his NFL debut Sunday in the New Jersey Meadowlands against the New York Jets, who boast one of the league’s top punt returners in Andre Roberts.

King is now gimpy with a groin strain, which a source said started to bother him Sunday before the Broncos’ game Monday night against the Kansas City Chiefs. Following his last punt against the Chiefs, King hobbled off the field. He recently had an MRI and didn’t practice Wednesday, but there was a chance he could return Thursday.

If King doesn’t punt during practice Thursday or Friday, Wadman will be the Broncos’ punter Sunday against the Jets at MetLife Stadium. Even if King does return to practice this week, the Broncos may still give Wadman his first NFL game against the Jets.

Wadman, 23, was a four-year punter for the University of California-Davis from 2013-16. He was also the Aggies’ placeholder and he has been working with Broncos’ kicker Brandon McManus. Undrafted in 2017, Wadman had a private workout with McMahon when McMahon was then the special teams coordinator for the Indianapolis Colts.

https://www.9news.com/article/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/broncos-to-hold-punt-off-between-king-and-wadman-for-jets-game/73-600610995

VonDoom
10-04-2018, 03:02 PM
Marquette King, Todd Davis and Jared Veldheer were DNP.

Andrew Mason @MaseDenver
Vance Joseph on practice-squad punter Colby Wadman: “He’s been good, he’s obviously a young guy, but he’s got talent.”

Mike Klis @MikeKlis
Joseph: “If (Wadman) had to go we’d be comfortable with Colby.” #_9sports

LawDog
10-04-2018, 03:12 PM
Marquette King, Todd Davis and Jared Veldheer were DNP.

Andrew Mason @MaseDenver
Vance Joseph on practice-squad punter Colby Wadman: “He’s been good, he’s obviously a young guy, but he’s got talent.”

Mike Klis @MikeKlis
Joseph: “If (Wadman) had to go we’d be comfortable with Colby.” #_9sports

Translation, "We have to suit up a punter and it may as well be Wadman."

BroncoWave
10-04-2018, 03:55 PM
Oh hey, I'm finally getting a non national game on TV.

VonDoom
10-04-2018, 08:51 PM
Veldheer out and it sounds like it could be a while:

https://twitter.com/mikeklis/status/1048024587227738113?s=21

Denver Native (Carol)
10-04-2018, 10:24 PM
#DENvsNYJ: OLB Von Miller
Outside linebacker Von Miller talks about how he rotates in and out of the game with the Broncos' other pass rushers to stay fresh.
https://www.denverbroncos.com/video/denvsnyj-von-miller

Joseph: 'We want quality snaps from Von'
Head Coach Vance Joseph talks about Von Miller's snap count and Courtland Sutton's ability to make plays down the field.
https://www.denverbroncos.com/video/joseph-we-want-quality-snaps-from-von

#DENvsNYJ: OC Bill Musgrave
Offensive Coordinator Bill Musgrave talks about "taking the training wheels off" the Broncos' two rookie running backs and why he moved from the sidelines to the coaches' box during games.
https://www.denverbroncos.com/video/denvsnyj-oc-bill-musgrave

#DENvsNYJ: DC Joe Woods
Defensive Coordinator Joe Woods talks about facing Jets QB Sam Darnold and how the coaches are hoping to keep Von Miller fresh.
https://www.denverbroncos.com/video/denvsnyj-dc-joe-woods

dogfish
10-04-2018, 10:26 PM
Veldheer out and it sounds like it could be a while:

well, this is shocking news. . .

it's a good thing this past draft went well, because our to-do list for the off-season keeps growing. . . quarterback, right tackle, cornerback, and tight end are all priority needs, and middle linebacker could really use an infusion of talent as well. . . at least we should have some cap space next year, but the front office will definitely have their work cut out for them. . . fingers crossed that we can keep drafting well, as that's the only real answer. . .

Poet
10-04-2018, 11:30 PM
We ditched one older and banged up guy (Talib) for another (Veldheer). I preferred Talibing.

dogfish
10-05-2018, 03:48 AM
We ditched one older and banged up guy (Talib) for another (Veldheer). I preferred Talibing.

me too, but at the end of the day it's no different than the same conversation people are still pushing in regards to boss ward. . . leadership and chemistry do count for something-- but neither one is worth anything close to a quality vet's cap hit for said qualities being provided from the sidelines/trainer's table/wherever. . . who knows if 'qib woulda broken if he'd stayed here, but he was probably higher risk wherever he played. . . it's a consequence of aging in the NFL. . . and to this point, elway has more often than not been in tune with the "belichick-ian" better a year too soon than a year too late philosophy. . . witness MO's bae, julius thomas. . .

and also MO's nemesis, tim tebow. . .:D

honestly, i think turner has been better than i expected. . . he's certainly nothing great, but most teams don't have more than a few good OLs these days. . . the proliferation of the quick passing game ain't no damn accident. . . veldheer was a cheap risk that looks like it's gonna be worth about as much as it cost us-- approximately the same as what the rams are getting out of talib at the moment. . . unless turner runs with it, the position will need to be addressed again in the off-season. . . it might fall third in importance behind QB and starting corner, though, barring roby going HAM from here on out. . .

Nomad
10-05-2018, 09:07 AM
Woohoo...I’m really shocked we get the Broncos/ Jets game....not complaining. I won’t be surprised if it’s changed to Jax/KC by Sunday.

I wonder who Hawaii pissed off in order to get the Titans/Bills game. :lol:

underrated29
10-05-2018, 11:02 AM
me too, but at the end of the day it's no different than the same conversation people are still pushing in regards to boss ward. . . leadership and chemistry do count for something-- but neither one is worth anything close to a quality vet's cap hit for said qualities being provided from the sidelines/trainer's table/wherever. . . who knows if 'qib woulda broken if he'd stayed here, but he was probably higher risk wherever he played. . . it's a consequence of aging in the NFL. . . and to this point, elway has more often than not been in tune with the "belichick-ian" better a year too soon than a year too late philosophy. . . witness MO's bae, julius thomas. . .

honestly, i think turner has been better than i expected. . . he's certainly nothing great, but most teams don't have more than a few good OLs these days. . . the proliferation of the quick passing game ain't no damn accident. . . veldheer was a cheap risk that looks like it's gonna be worth about as much as it cost us-- approximately the same as what the rams are getting out of talib at the moment. . . unless turner runs with it, the position will need to be addressed again in the off-season. . . it might fall third in importance behind QB and starting corner, though, barring roby going HAM from here on out. . .

You and I are very close when it comes to the draft. At the moment I see it like:

1st rd- trade up for herbert.
2nd (if we have one after trade) CB
3rd- Tackle

Which is why I want to see chad Kelly play the rest of the year. If he shows like I think he may be able to then I want the draft to go like:

1st- CB
2nd- T
3rd- LB/C

(I expect us to let Roby walk in the offseason. Brock too. Also I see Marshall gone. DT restructured. Sanders walks. Darian Stewart cut. Leary this one could be tough same with Paradis) I forsee a big roster turn around.

Poet
10-05-2018, 11:24 AM

It's absolutely different because Talib was playing at a high level and we swapped him for a guy who has more injury history than him. If we had done that swap for a young RT who is on the field then your assessment would be accurate.

slim
10-05-2018, 11:44 AM
well, this is shocking news. . .

it's a good thing this past draft went well, because our to-do list for the off-season keeps growing. . . quarterback, right tackle, cornerback, and tight end are all priority needs, and middle linebacker could really use an infusion of talent as well. . . at least we should have some cap space next year, but the front office will definitely have their work cut out for them. . . fingers crossed that we can keep drafting well, as that's the only real answer. . .

Might want to add LT to that list

Denver Native (Carol)
10-05-2018, 11:48 AM
Elway Access: Previewing a critical game in New York
In his weekly interview, John Elway talks about a bright spot from Monday night and looks ahead to a showdown in the Meadowlands with the Jets.

https://www.denverbroncos.com/video/elway-access-previewing-a-critical-game-in-new-york

dogfish
10-05-2018, 12:28 PM
Might want to add LT to that list

i really don't want to!

VonDoom
10-05-2018, 01:45 PM
Veldheer out, King doubtful, Davis and Gotsis questionable

Nomad
10-05-2018, 01:50 PM
Is it me, or has M.King been a little disappointing? I expected better punting out of him before his injury.

wayninja
10-05-2018, 02:13 PM
Is it me, or has M.King been a little disappointing? I expected better punting out of him before his injury.

He was really good in pre-season. In actual games he's been mediocre to poor. If he's been battling dick-strain that might explain things though.

Shazam!
10-05-2018, 02:30 PM
Dear Billy Turner,

Please use this time to shine.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-05-2018, 03:58 PM

Hawaii always tries to get the Titans games. Why you ask? 2 words, Marcus Mariota. He’s a huge “local boy done good” celebrity over there. I think they showed almost every Titans game his rookie season. He may have went to Oregon, but he’s from Hawaii.

wayninja
10-05-2018, 04:11 PM
Let me know when Mariota is good. I had high hopes for that dude. Never putting him on my fantasy team again.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-05-2018, 04:35 PM
Let me know when Mariota is good. I had high hopes for that dude. Never putting him on my fantasy team again.

That’s true, but don’t tell the Hawaiians that. They love that dude out there and he does a ton of local businesses’ commercials. They might try to fight you.

Nomad
10-05-2018, 06:13 PM
Hawaii always tries to get the Titans games. Why you ask? 2 words, Marcus Mariota. He’s a huge “local boy done good” celebrity over there. I think they showed almost every Titans game his rookie season. He may have went to Oregon, but he’s from Hawaii.

Makes sense....thanks. I always thought he was from Cali. That’s what I get for thinking :D

Canmore
10-05-2018, 06:23 PM

Mariota is from Hawaii.

Nomad
10-05-2018, 07:24 PM
Mariota is from Hawaii.

Yeah. I was told that. Thanks. BTW...not being sarcastic.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-05-2018, 07:28 PM
Marriota is a good dude. I hope he improves.

Poet
10-05-2018, 07:33 PM
Marriota is a good dude. I hope he improves.

If he does he could become a legitimate franchise QB and since we don't have one I don't want anyone else to have one!

Nomad
10-05-2018, 07:35 PM
I hear the current Oregon Ducks QB is #1 prospect.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-05-2018, 07:59 PM
If he does he could become a legitimate franchise QB and since we don't have one I don't want anyone else to have one!

Yeah, no one else! Tom Brady probably has AAA!

Denver Native (Carol)
10-05-2018, 09:32 PM
The last time Colby Wadman suited up for a competitive football game was Nov. 19, 2016. He was a member of the UC Davis Aggies, punting against Sacramento State, at Aggie Stadium, which holds about 10,000 people. He punted three times for an average of 48.3 yards — including a 61-yarder — in a 48-30 Aggies win.

Then he was left to hope that he'd get a shot at the next level.

Wadman gave himself three years to pursue his dream — and he may have achieved it just under the wire, as Wadman could suit up for the Broncos on Sunday at MetLife Stadium. Broncos starting punter Marquette King is officially listed as doubtful with a thigh injury, and Wadman is the next man up.

rest - https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/colby-wadman-confident-prepared-for-potential-nfl-debut-in-denvsnyj-i-ll-be-read

VonDoom
10-06-2018, 09:53 AM
King to IR, then released. That went well:

https://twitter.com/mikeklis/status/1048580251192905728?s=21

Denver Native (Carol)
10-06-2018, 06:05 PM
Road Trip: Broncos fly to New York

https://www.denverbroncos.com/photos/road-trip-broncos-fly-to-new-york#25b53812-cd52-4e02-8c0c-fec1f7764f59

Davii
10-06-2018, 11:04 PM
Road Trip: Broncos fly to New York

https://www.denverbroncos.com/photos/road-trip-broncos-fly-to-new-york#25b53812-cd52-4e02-8c0c-fec1f7764f59

I really like the fact that all our players wear suits, etc on business trips. It just seems more professional and about business to me that way. No idea if it makes a difference or not, but I like the message it sends.

slim
10-07-2018, 12:33 AM
I really like the fact that all our players wear suits, etc on business trips. It just seems more professional and about business to me that way. No idea if it makes a difference or not, but I like the message it sends.

Meh

Nomad
10-07-2018, 12:40 AM
Meh

Whoa! You playing off our friend, Davii. That's like telling Chuck Norris to take a hike.

dogfish
10-07-2018, 01:14 AM
Whoa! You playing off our friend, Davii. That's like telling Chuck Norris to take a hike.

slim's not real big on the whole pants thing. . .