PDA

View Full Version : The inexplicable playcalling on the 3 and out...

LawDog
10-02-2018, 10:18 AM
Situation where they need to run the clock, move downfield and get some points, even if just a FG.

First down, Lindsay is the lone back off to the side in a blocking formation. No Janovich. Handoff to Lindsay crossing to left then attempts a cut into the B gap that has no lane at all and no chance of bouncing to the outside because the delayed handoff allowed the defenders to seal the edge.

Second down, screen to Sanders who was well covered and went nowhere.

Third down, obvious passing situation that gets snuffed out resulting in a punt.

There was at least 3, maybe more, times in the game that first down runs went for 10 plus using Janovich and a one cut up the middle of the line. Why get cute?

Did I miss something?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-02-2018, 12:00 PM
Situation where they need to run the clock, move downfield and get some points, even if just a FG.

First down, Lindsay is the lone back off to the side in a blocking formation. No Janovich. Handoff to Lindsay crossing to left then attempts a cut into the B gap that has no lane at all and no chance of bouncing to the outside because the delayed handoff allowed the defenders to seal the edge.

Second down, screen to Sanders who was well covered and went nowhere.

Third down, obvious passing situation that gets snuffed out resulting in a punt.

There was at least 3, maybe more, times in the game that first down runs went for 10 plus using Janovich and a one cut up the middle of the line. Why get cute?

Did I miss something?

No you didn’t miss anything. We tried to get cute against a front seven we were manhandling all night.

I looked at our ypc and our number of carries after the game and asked myself, what the freak???

We only carried the ball 22 times last night.

broncofaninfla
10-02-2018, 01:40 PM
VJ's reply at his presser was just as bad as the refusal to run. I'm floored with Musgraves play calls. It's as though they wanted to lose. Hard to have any faith in this offense as long as VJ is the HC, Musgrave is calling the plays and Keenum is throwing more than the run the ball.

MOtorboat
10-02-2018, 01:45 PM
Side to side stuff when they needed to run those inside counters that worked so well with Lindsay or the zone runs that worked so well with Freeman. Now to that point, I noticed that the Chiefs made some adjustments in the second half, mostly by packing the middle and giving the Broncos the edge knowing the Chiefs defense has more speed than power. I didn’t see Musgrave adjust very well to that. They ran one pitch to the left with Freeman that went nowhere and then he tried to go with zone read looks and screens. It wasn’t very creative at all. I think a jet sweep or even a wide zone run might have tested those Chief adjustments, and I don’t know why Musgrave is allergic to slant passes.

Hawgdriver
10-02-2018, 02:31 PM
It seemed like they had success with a running back that demonstrated an aptitude for breaking tackles, and the Chiefs were tackling poorly all night. Why not further exploit that advantage? What a disappointing end to the game.

LawDog
10-02-2018, 02:42 PM
Side to side stuff when they needed to run those inside counters that worked so well with Lindsay or the zone runs that worked so well with Freeman. Now to that point, I noticed that the Chiefs made some adjustments in the second half, mostly by packing the middle and giving the Broncos the edge knowing the Chiefs defense has more speed than power. I didn’t see Musgrave adjust very well to that. They ran one pitch to the left with Freeman that went nowhere and then he tried to go with zone read looks and screens. It wasn’t very creative at all. I think a jet sweep or even a wide zone run might have tested those Chief adjustments, and I don’t know why Musgrave is allergic to slant passes.

Right? It's puzzling.

tripp
10-02-2018, 04:13 PM
I know it's only 4 games in, but I can see the silver lining for this season being Freeman and Lindsay. I can't say much after that.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-02-2018, 04:38 PM
It seemed like they had success with a running back that demonstrated an aptitude for breaking tackles, and the Chiefs were tackling poorly all night. Why not further exploit that advantage? What a disappointing end to the game.

22 carries...

wayninja
10-02-2018, 05:33 PM
22 carries...

Ok, but how many in the second half?

tripp
10-02-2018, 05:44 PM
Ok, but how many in the second half?

I always wonder, why is it so blatantly obvious to us fans that they need to run the ball more and not the coaches, I know they're the Pros and we're peasants in terms of football IQ, wtf are they seeing that we don't??? It seemed like Lindsay was averaging 5+ yards a carry. I just don't get it.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-02-2018, 09:19 PM
I want to know why we don’t ever, and I mean EVER work the middle of the field? No, we don’t have a big time receiving TE, but they can still catch. We have weapons that will work in the slot like ES and Sutton. WTF don’t we ever throw there? The Queef’s ILBs are just as shit in coverage as ours and they don’t have Eric Berry. Why not attack their weakness inside? For the praise Musgrave has gotten, I want to know:

1. Why are we not using Lindsay in space and getting matchups on LBs in the passing game? NE and ATL do it to everybody, every week. Lindsay is EXACTLY that guy to do it with. Matchup nightmare for LBs.
2. Why don’t we ever attack the middle of the field with the passing game like the other 31 teams. It’s always outside the hashes. We just drafted 2 WRs for that reason and never throw it to them inside.
3. Why didn’t we pound them with Freeman with a 10 point lead in the 4th? Asinine.
4. Why are we letting a QB who is obviously struggling with downfield accuracy and arm strength throw downfield as much as we are? What happened to small ball and ball security? Keenum sucks, everyone knows it except the Broncos coaches.

All in all, it’s puzzling... and frustrating.

Poet
10-02-2018, 09:32 PM
I want to know why we don’t ever, and I mean EVER work the middle of the field? No, we don’t have a big time receiving TE, but they can still catch. We have weapons that will work in the slot like ES and Sutton. WTF don’t we ever throw there? The Queef’s ILBs are just as shit in coverage as ours and they don’t have Eric Berry. Why not attack their weakness inside? For the praise Musgrave has gotten, I want to know:

1. Why are we not using Lindsay in space and getting matchups on LBs in the passing game? NE and ATL do it to everybody, every week. Lindsay is EXACTLY that guy to do it with. Matchup nightmare for LBs.
2. Why don’t we ever attack the middle of the field with the passing game like the other 31 teams. It’s always outside the hashes. We just drafted 2 WRs for that reason and never throw it to them inside.
3. Why didn’t we pound them with Freeman with a 10 point lead in the 4th? Asinine.
4. Why are we letting a QB who is obviously struggling with downfield accuracy and arm strength throw downfield as much as we are? What happened to small ball and ball security? Keenum sucks, everyone knows it except the Broncos coaches.

All in all, it’s puzzling... and frustrating.

1 - I don't know why, but I'm assuming maybe he's not polished as a receiver sans being a check down?

2 - This is a weakness of Keenum, he's not good at ripping the ball across the middle of the field. But, attacking the middle of the field has sort of been an issue for a few years now. I almost assumed that we just 'can't' or aren't 'allowed' to do so.

3- We are stupid, but we wanted to be able to throw the ball still and Booker is our best blocking back.

4 - Insert every rant I ever had about Keenum while adding the fact that he wants to prove he's the man. He used to chuck the ball down the field last year with some regularity,so that has been a part of his game. Not exactly a great strength, though.

dogfish
10-02-2018, 09:49 PM

man. . . i have zero clue what the reason is, but the broncos as an organization quite simply refuse to use their backs in the passing game. . . i've been watching since '83, and not one coach who's been here over that time span has shown any interest at ALL in getting the RBs involved. . . it's like there's a taboo against it or something. . .

once vance is gone, john NEEDS to pull his head out of his ass, and hire a young offensive mind with some actual coaching chops. . . no more re-treads or leaders of men. . . get somebody in here who can run a modern NFL offense, or continue to suffer the consequences. . .

BroncoWave
10-02-2018, 10:00 PM
man. . . i have zero clue what the reason is, but the broncos as an organization quite simply refuse to use their backs in the passing game. . . i've been watching since '83, and not one coach who's been here over that time span has shown any interest at ALL in getting the RBs involved. . . it's like there's a taboo against it or something. . .

once vance is gone, john NEEDS to pull his head out of his ass, and hire a young offensive mind with some actual coaching chops. . . no more re-treads or leaders of men. . . get somebody in here who can run a modern NFL offense, or continue to suffer the consequences. . .

Sounds like you just described McDaniels. :D

Poet
10-02-2018, 10:02 PM
McDaniels was proven right. Surely he's matured.

dogfish
10-02-2018, 10:11 PM

tell that to indy. . . :lol:

wayninja
10-02-2018, 10:18 PM

In my weaker moments, I feel like calling him and telling him we made a mistake.

Oh, VJ, what have you done to me?

Poet
10-02-2018, 10:18 PM
tell that to indy. . . :lol:

Oh being coldhearted and selfish like that is often a great sign of maturity...just in someone who is evil. Then again, I'm going to be a lawyer, so my moral compass is probably off.

atwater27
10-02-2018, 10:19 PM
**** Josh McDaniels

Poet
10-02-2018, 10:22 PM
**** Josh McDaniels

We have fallen so low that a pro bowl QB choose Minnesota over us. We've fallen so low that McDaniels is a superior coach to what we have now. We've fallen so low that arguably...Cleveland's future is brighter than ours.

This is our state of affairs.

Should have just drafted Josh Rosen.

tripp
10-02-2018, 10:35 PM
We have fallen so low that a pro bowl QB choose Minnesota over us. We've fallen so low that McDaniels is a superior coach to what we have now. We've fallen so low that arguably...Cleveland's future is brighter than ours.

This is our state of affairs.

I was under the impression we didn't make an offer to Cousins in the first place?

Poet
10-02-2018, 10:41 PM
I was under the impression we didn't make an offer to Cousins in the first place?

Because he didn't **** with us. We were unworthy, in his eyes. And then we signed Keenum.

tripp
10-02-2018, 10:43 PM
Because he didn't **** with us. We were unworthy, in his eyes. And then we signed Keenum.

Possibly, or because Elway didn't want to spend that much money on a QB and wanted to go for the cheaper option to keep other players.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-02-2018, 10:44 PM
1 - I don't know why, but I'm assuming maybe he's not polished as a receiver sans being a check down?

I don’t buy it. How hard is it to have him run a flat route, or wheel route, or motion into the slot and run a little drag route across the middle, or my favorite, the out and in - run a diagonal out until you clear the tackle like you’re going to the flat then cut it back into a slant into that vacated area behind the MLB. It’s not hard, it’s just not in our playbook. Nor, apparently, are RB screens. Just shitty WR screens during press man that don’t go anywhere. :tsk:

Poet
10-02-2018, 10:50 PM
I'm not selling anything, my guy. I'm just looking for a plausible scenario is all.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-02-2018, 10:55 PM
I'm not selling anything, my guy. I'm just looking for a plausible scenario is all.

Oh I know, you’re just speculating. I just wonder wtf is going on in Musgrave’s mind. Sadly, his playbook looks the same as McCoy’s.

tripp
10-02-2018, 10:56 PM
Oh I know, you’re just speculating. I just wonder wtf is going on in Musgrave’s mind. Sadly, his playbook looks the same as McCoy’s.

Former Charger HC in McCoy, and former Raider OC in Musgrave... hmmmm....

broncofaninfla
10-03-2018, 08:29 AM
I keep thinking back to the end of last season when VJ said he needed to do a better job of coaching the coaches. He failed massively in that regard Monday night by not having Musgrave ride Royce in the second half. Denver lost a very winnable game as a result.

tripp
10-03-2018, 09:40 AM
I keep thinking back to the end of last season when VJ said he needed to do a better job of coaching the coaches. He failed massively in that regard Monday night by not having Musgrave ride Royce in the second half. Denver lost a very winnable game as a result.

I've lost a lot of hope that Musgrave can actually turn this offense around. I don't think I've seen any specific game plan for each team. Defense looked like they had a game plan and executed it pretty well.

Tangerine
10-03-2018, 04:35 PM

But we had the great Case Keenum, who is so talented he can turn Coke into Pepsi.... at least that's the kind of crap that was shoved down our throats all summer. Then Keenum stepped out on the field and played a game, and everybody realized he's terrible.

wayninja
10-03-2018, 05:04 PM
If that's how he was billed, then I'm a bit upset. I prefer coke.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-03-2018, 05:36 PM
Rosen has some serious arm talent. Arizona will he in the playoffs next year.

Poet
10-03-2018, 07:29 PM

I was listening to Stink review the game (he called it) and he thought Rosen was robbed of a TD on a bad drop and possibly another, on a bad drop. The guy has a great arm and they're talking about how smart he is and how he is dissecting the game...

I love Chubb, but I think I let my love of pass rushers pull me astray, Al. I vow to never fail you again.

Tangerine
10-03-2018, 11:04 PM

If Rosen turns out to be at least decent, that's going to be a tough pill to swallow. We desperately needed a QB and had him fall into our laps without even needing to trade up, and passed on him. That would've meant 5 years of paying a rookie QB salary, freeing up a lot of room on the cap to build the team around him.

If you look at teams like the Eagles and Rams, and previously the Seahawks, rookie QB contracts is becoming a big key to winning in the current NFL.

Northman
10-04-2018, 10:22 AM
https://scontent.fphl2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/43131642_2179892655378811_3266104259585769472_n.jp g?_nc_cat=100&oh=65b736930c58d5cbf97bf982ffe09f2c&oe=5C5DE52D

Hawgdriver
10-04-2018, 10:25 AM
@zacstevensBSN

4D chess is inexplicable to some.

Hawgdriver
10-04-2018, 10:27 AM
Wait. Are VJ and the Corkster unleashing 5D chess on the NFL? Hold on to your shawls, ladies.

Jsteve01
10-04-2018, 10:46 AM
Is it bad that i cant even get excited about arguing these point with you all? Obviously nothing to argue here but i sure do wish i gsve a dhit at this point. Monday was a dagger to my left testicle.

wayninja
10-04-2018, 11:33 AM
We melted down in epic, embarrassing fashion. It's certainly a kick to the daddy-bags.

Elevation inc
10-04-2018, 12:39 PM
https://scontent.fphl2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/43131642_2179892655378811_3266104259585769472_n.jp g?_nc_cat=100&oh=65b736930c58d5cbf97bf982ffe09f2c&oe=5C5DE52D

This gives me anger management problems...lol