PDA

View Full Version : Why is Miller's snap count so low this year?

Freyaka
10-02-2018, 09:37 AM
Watching the game last night, it felt like he was barely ever on the field. He has only taken part in 68% of defensive snaps. What's going on with him? He looked completely gassed in the 4th quarter despite spending most of the game on the sidelines.

Hawgdriver
10-02-2018, 09:44 AM
Watching the game last night, it felt like he was barely ever on the field. He has only taken part in 68% of defensive snaps. What's going on with him? He looked completely gassed in the 4th quarter despite spending most of the game on the sidelines.

He was disquieted. Duh.

Freyaka
10-02-2018, 09:46 AM
He was disquieted. Duh.

Well it's disquieting to me that our best defender is down 17% in his snap counts over last year. He was averaging 85% snap counts through 3 games last year, he's never been less than 80% when healthy. Something just seems really off here that our best player isn't being used.

BroncoJoe
10-02-2018, 09:51 AM
He addressed it in a pregame interview. Said that they're trying to give some snaps to other very talented players, and he's "OK" with that. Keeps him fresh for a long season.

That said, his body language suggested he'd rather be out there for every snap.

Freyaka
10-02-2018, 09:55 AM
He addressed it in a pregame interview. Said that they're trying to give some snaps to other very talented players, and he's "OK" with that. Keeps him fresh for a long season.

On top of your last sentence, he didn't look fresh...

BroncoJoe
10-02-2018, 09:56 AM

Found it:

“We’ve got four great outside linebackers and we’ve got different packages to get these guys in,’’ Miller said. “We’ve got a NASCAR package where we get either Shaq or Shane in with me and Chubb. To get those guys more playing time, you’ve got to get the guys who are on the field out. I’m completely comfortable with those guys going in and making plays. Both of those guys would be starters on other teams. That’s just how it is.

“I would love to play more – and I will play more. We’re still trying to figure out the rotation. But the priority is to get Shaq and Shane reps.

“And it’s still early in the season. If these guys take reps away from me and Chubb, then over the course of the season it will keep us healthier as well. It’s our strategy that we have this season. We’ve tried it in the past but we’re really going for it this season.’’

https://www.9news.com/article/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/von-miller-on-playing-mahomes-chiefs-on-monday-night-i-have-an-opportunity-to-be-great/73-599448787

Mike
10-02-2018, 10:06 AM
Sorry, but we pay the guy to be on the field making impacts. I don't care about other players getting snaps...he is our most talented and highly paid player and should be out on the field whenever possible. This is another coaching fail.

Chidoze
10-07-2018, 04:38 PM

If that’s true, then these morons need to be shit canned immediately. You don’t take your best ******* player out fot that shit! That’s why they’re 2-3.

UnderArmour
10-07-2018, 04:39 PM
Elway should just trade Shane Ray or Shaq Barrett. Problem solved.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-07-2018, 04:41 PM
Elway should just trade Shane Ray or Shaq Barrett. Problem solved.

For what, a conditional late round pick? The only player we could get a first for is Miller, and you don’t trade your best player when he’s only 28.

UnderArmour
10-07-2018, 04:44 PM
For what, a conditional late round pick? The only player we could get a first for is Miller, and you don’t trade your best player when he’s only 28.

For a conditional 5th-6th, yeah. It's obvious this team will only re-sign one or neither of Barrett or Ray, and if the team can get more value from a trade then than they would off a compensatory pick, they should.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-07-2018, 05:22 PM
For a conditional 5th-6th, yeah. It's obvious this team will only re-sign one or neither of Barrett or Ray, and if the team can get more value from a trade then than they would off a compensatory pick, they should.

I guess if we’re not making the playoffs this year we might as well. This team is a 4-12 or 6-10 team.

Shazam!
10-07-2018, 05:55 PM
Could he be hurt?

MOtorboat
10-07-2018, 05:58 PM
Could he be hurt?

Yes.

Shazam!
10-07-2018, 06:05 PM
Could he be hurt?

Yes.

This was the easiest explanation and why i think hes not the same. Not the first time Broncos don't report their injuries.

GEM
10-07-2018, 07:46 PM
They did report it, he was on injury report for a thigh injury. That came out middle of the week. :)

MOtorboat
10-07-2018, 07:47 PM
They did report it, he was on injury report for a thigh injury. That came out middle of the week. :)

Did you do that to him?

GEM
10-07-2018, 07:48 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.milehighreport.com/platform/amp/2018/10/3/17934968/denver-broncos-and-new-york-jets-injury-report-von-miller-is-on-the-injury-report

He hurt it during the Monday night game.

GEM
10-07-2018, 07:48 PM
Did you do that to him?

:heh: If I did, I wouldn't admit it. :lol:

Freyaka
10-08-2018, 09:29 AM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.milehighreport.com/platform/amp/2018/10/3/17934968/denver-broncos-and-new-york-jets-injury-report-von-miller-is-on-the-injury-report

He hurt it during the Monday night game.

His snap count has been down all year though...

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-08-2018, 09:46 AM
His snap count has been down all year though...

I wouldn’t say it’s been low. He’s played a lot of snaps. I think the percentage of snaps has been lower, but the the defense has been on the field A LOT.

Freyaka
10-08-2018, 09:51 AM
I wouldn’t say it’s been low. He’s played a lot of snaps. I think the percentage of snaps has been lower, but the the defense has been on the field A LOT.

It's been barely over 60% of the defensive snaps all year. He's normally mid-80's.

It's absolutely been low this year.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-08-2018, 11:42 AM
It's been barely over 60% of the defensive snaps all year. He's normally mid-80's.

It's absolutely been low this year.

And again, how many snaps is he playing? Is it 30 per game?

Simple Jaded
10-12-2018, 04:27 AM
Why are the CB’s playing so timid this season? Off-man is not their strong suit.

To this untrained eye the Broncos are no longer running Wade Phillips defense and this DC is anything but “a rising star”.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-12-2018, 06:49 PM
Why are the CB’s playing so timid this season? Off-man is not their strong suit.

To this untrained eye the Broncos are no longer running Wade Phillips defense and this DC is anything but “a rising star”.

Chris Harris is the only known commodity. What are the rest of the their strengths?

Denver Native (Carol)
10-12-2018, 08:53 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Take a trip to Von Miller’s world.

When you’re in Miller’s world — call it Planet 58? — it’s not difficult to find a way to stop the Broncos’ losing streak.

In Miller’s eyes, he’s been the problem over the last three weeks.

And he’s also the way to fix it.

“I just got to run over my guy,” Miller said. “I just got to run straight through him, put him on his back and just get a sack. It’s not like I’m a receiver. It’s not like I’ve got to break at this route and catch the ball. I’ve just got to get there. I’ve just got to get there. It’s something that I haven’t been doing well over the last couple of weeks. I haven’t been playing the run well, I haven’t been rushing the passer well over the last couple of weeks. I can fix that. I like living in a world where it’s me and the problem is me, because the quickest way to fix it is me. That’s the type of world that I live in, and that’s [how] I’m going into the game. I’m going into the game trying to fix those issues.”

rest - https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/in-von-miller-s-world-fixing-the-broncos-defensive-troubles-is-simple

Jsteve01
10-12-2018, 09:21 PM
Thanks jaded I've been saying that since Week 1. This has never been a strong off Man team. And I've never liked off man anyways. If you're going to play man you need to be physical and get up in their faces and attack the line of scrimmage. I honestly believe that's a big part of the reason that Roby has struggled this year. I don't think he's as bad as we all think he is. He may not be Harris and may not be talib but he could be a starting level cornerback in the league if you let him play to his strength which is Big physical and athletic

Poet
10-12-2018, 11:20 PM
Thanks jaded I've been saying that since Week 1. This has never been a strong off Man team. And I've never liked off man anyways. If you're going to play man you need to be physical and get up in their faces and attack the line of scrimmage. I honestly believe that's a big part of the reason that Roby has struggled this year. I don't think he's as bad as we all think he is. He may not be Harris and may not be talib but he could be a starting level cornerback in the league if you let him play to his strength which is Big physical and athletic

The scheme isn't helping him, but the missed tackles and just getting dismantled game after game is just frustrating. He's certainly not the coverage stud that we had hoped for, either. I won't lie, while he certainly isn't above being called out by coaches, being called out by someone as stupid as VJ has to be infuriating.