PDA

View Full Version : Wade Phillips for Head Coach

WARHORSE
09-24-2018, 12:26 AM
Time to admit your mistake John and pull the plug on VJ. Only way the defense brings it home.

As a Bronco fan I beg you.

Its one thing to watch a good team lose........its another to watch them lose while looking at a headcoach look like a crack addict on the sidelines.

I cant stand watching anxiety eat the man alive while theres a game going on.

He throws the red flag pretty much on every play two seconds after the whistle.

FanInAZ
09-24-2018, 12:31 AM
He's had to bad experiences as HC & its my understanding that he has made it clear that he never wants another HC job.

Hawgdriver
09-24-2018, 12:44 AM
New HC? Makes sense.

3-1 would be excellent. I'm looking forward to that.

MOtorboat
09-24-2018, 04:18 AM
No.

WARHORSE
09-24-2018, 04:48 AM
No.

Yes.

Shazam!
09-24-2018, 06:07 AM
No thank you. If we were going to bring back a Coach id want Shanahan. Wade has never won as a HC.

TXBRONC
09-24-2018, 06:52 AM
Time to admit your mistake John and pull the plug on VJ. Only way the defense brings it home.

As a Bronco fan I beg you.

Its one thing to watch a good team lose........its another to watch them lose while looking at a headcoach look like a crack addict on the sidelines.

I cant stand watching anxiety eat the man alive while theres a game going on.

He throws the red flag pretty much on every play two seconds after the whistle.

Wade Phillips has been a head coach on three different occasions and none of them were very successful. One of those stints was in Denver. He's a fantastic defensive coordinator but he's not head coaching material. No thanks.

EastCoastBronco
09-24-2018, 07:50 AM
He will always have a special place in my heart for creating the beast that was the 2015 defence.
He also has a permanent dark mark for what he did to Doug Flutie.
Great DC.
Lousy HC.

Broncoknight30
09-24-2018, 08:19 AM
Eric Bieniemy offensive coordinator of the Chiefs is going to be a hot name.

Jsteve01
09-24-2018, 08:26 AM
Eric Bieniemy offensive coordinator of the Chiefs is going to be a hot name.

Bienemy is a dick and a hypocrite and Andyis the OC of that team.

And as much as i like him just noooo to Wade. He is such a good coordinator that people forget what a bad hc he is. Ala norv turner

Broncoknight30
09-24-2018, 08:27 AM
He will always have a special place in my heart for creating the beast that was the 2015 defence.
Great DC.
Lousy HC.

He was forced to start Rob Johnson over Flutie. That unfortunately does not make him look better. That only shows how he does not command the respect as head coach.

Parcells was forced to draft Terry Glenn by Kraft that year. He quit, and he did not hold back.

Simply put, there.are certain coaches that you could force things on. Wade Philips is one of those.

I thought his major problem with the Broncos (other than him being a stop gap as Shanahan and Kubiak learned the SF system for two seasons) was he did not hire the right DC to run his system. Instead he hired Charlie Waters and Waters ran a different system and Wade Philips really did not step in.

Ironic, how under Philips Elways offensive numbers all of a sudden did great. It was the Broncos defenses those years that were awful.

Broncoknight30
09-24-2018, 08:29 AM
Bienemy is a dick and a hypocrite and Andyis the OC of that team.

And as much as i like him just noooo to Wade. He is such a good coordinator that people forget what a bad hc he is. Ala norv turner

He was ultimately a failure as head coach, but if you look at it, he was not that bad.

He made the playoffs and his teams were usually competitive. Usually.

Ziggy
09-24-2018, 09:16 AM
In availability with the Denver media, Phillips said, “I was a lousy head coach but I’m a pretty good defensive coordinator. That’s what I do well.”

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/wade-phillips-i-was-a-lousy-head-coach-but-im-a-pretty-good-dc/

Shazam!
09-24-2018, 09:16 AM
Great DC.
Lousy HC.

He was forced to start Rob Johnson over Flutie. That unfortunately does not make him look better. That only shows how he does not command the respect as head coach.

Parcells was forced to draft Terry Glenn by Kraft that year. He quit, and he did not hold back.

Simply put, there.are certain coaches that you could force things on. Wade Philips is one of those.

I thought his major problem with the Broncos (other than him being a stop gap as Shanahan and Kubiak learned the SF system for two seasons) was he did not hire the right DC to run his system. Instead he hired Charlie Waters and Waters ran a different system and Wade Philips really did not step in.

Ironic, how under Philips Elways offensive numbers all of a sudden did great. It was the Broncos defenses those years that were awful.

Waters ran a 3×4 too. When they got Ted Washington he was supposed to be the NT they needed as if that was the only real problem. The real issue was the LBs on those Denver teams were just horrific and couldn't tackle or cover anyone. That was why the Phillips led Broncos D was so bad. I remember 94 like it was two years ago.

Broncoknight30
09-24-2018, 09:39 AM
Waters ran a 3×4 too. When they got Ted Washington he was supposed to be the NT they needed as if that was the only real problem. The real issue was the LBs on those Denver teams were just horrific and couldn't tackle or cover anyone. That was why the Phillips led Broncos D was so bad. I remember 94 like it was two years ago.

For some reason I thought Charlie Waters ran a 4-3 and Ted Washington was a bit misused in that system. I know Waters came out of that 4-3 Tom Landry flex defensive philosophy.

Could be wrong.

Shazam!
09-24-2018, 09:52 AM

For some reason I thought Charlie Waters ran a 4-3 and Ted Washington was a bit misused in that system. I know Waters came out of that 4-3 Tom Landry flex defensive philosophy.

Could be wrong.

My thing was they should have ran a 4x3 because their LBs were just downright pathetic at the time and the weak link in a Defense that couldnt stop anyone. They went from bad to worse which i didnt think was even possible.

BeefStew25
09-24-2018, 10:14 AM
Maybe we bring McD back

wayninja
09-24-2018, 10:30 AM
Maybe we bring McD back

And then beat the shit out of him.

Poet
09-24-2018, 02:22 PM
Pete Carrol or Nick Saban.

Northman
09-24-2018, 02:24 PM
No.

Love Wade as a DC but he has not been a very good HC and would rather keep him where his strength is.

Jsteve01
09-24-2018, 02:25 PM
what about Scott Frost. I've heard from numerous people that he is pretty much the complete package when it comes the young coaches. Extremely intelligent and innovative. Charismatic Loved by players etc.

Northman
09-24-2018, 02:30 PM
To early with Frost, he has some serious issues in Nebraska right now.

MOtorboat
09-24-2018, 04:02 PM
what about Scott Frost. I've heard from numerous people that he is pretty much the complete package when it comes the young coaches. Extremely intelligent and innovative. Charismatic Loved by players etc.

He’s not going anywhere for awhile.

Broncoknight30
09-24-2018, 07:36 PM

I was curious about those years with Waters DC under Philips. They did run a 4-3 alignment.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/1994.htm

Yeah. Ted Washington was badly misused. He was a prototypical NT and Philips built a very stout defense in Buffalo those years with him there.

Poet
09-24-2018, 07:40 PM
Washington of the Ted variety, that's a name I haven't heard in a while. He was a bad, bad man.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-24-2018, 09:41 PM
Doug Flutie is the most overrated quarterback in the history of the English speaking language.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-24-2018, 09:43 PM
Elway should trade a second for Kyle Shanahah.

Poet
09-24-2018, 09:44 PM
Doug Flutie is the most overrated quarterback in the history of the English speaking language.

Terry Bradshaw is about to yell at you, hoss.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-24-2018, 09:47 PM
Terry Bradshaw is about to yell at you, hoss.

Good call.

aberdien
09-24-2018, 10:01 PM
Elway should trade a second for Kyle Shanahah.

Man, just imagine Kelly, Royce, Lindsey, DT, Sutton, and Butt running a Shanny offense.

What could have been.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-25-2018, 08:08 AM
Man, just imagine Kelly, Royce, Lindsey, DT, Sutton, and Butt running a Shanny offense.

What could have been.

Don’t be a catalyst for my tears Abe.

BroncoWave
09-25-2018, 08:24 AM
Maybe we bring McD back

Yes.

gregbroncs
09-26-2018, 04:24 PM
Doug Flutie is the most overrated quarterback in the history of the English speaking language.I still think that distinction goes to Brett Farve.

Jsteve01
09-26-2018, 04:52 PM
Doug Flutie is the most overrated quarterback in the history of the English speaking language.I still think that distinction goes to Brett Farve.

Whhhhhhat? You cant love elway as a player and hate favre. It makes no sense. They were cut from the same cloth. Now on a personal level favre is a pos

Poet
09-26-2018, 04:54 PM
Favre retired tops of most of the stats, won a bunch of MVPs, and a SB. Yeah, he had a lot of picks, but his TD to INT ratio is still pretty good. He had the iron man streak and was a massive star in the NFL.

Yeah, he's a shitty human being, but not overrated.

Shazam!
09-26-2018, 05:41 PM
Got nothin but love for Farve. And the 97 Packers.

PatriotsGuy
09-26-2018, 07:58 PM

I disagree

Shazam!
09-26-2018, 08:09 PM

I disagree

Good for you. I love the 96 Packers too.

aberdien
09-26-2018, 08:19 PM
I respect his legacy, but Favre is overrated and I never liked his style. He is not a cream of the crop-tier all time QB.

aberdien
09-26-2018, 08:21 PM
I respect his legacy, but Favre is overrated and I never liked his style. He is not a cream of the crop-tier all time QB.

He is probably fairly rated I am just arguing with The King.

Poet
09-26-2018, 08:38 PM
He is probably fairly rated I am just arguing with The King.

Would you have it any other way, though?

aberdien
09-26-2018, 08:39 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/1wo5m5/who_was_the_better_qb_john_elway_or_brett_favre/

Poet
09-26-2018, 08:44 PM
I used to love Favre. Then he and I both aged and...that guy is garbage. The whole retirement drama was selfish and conceited to the point where if Favre wasn't a media darling he'd have been treated like T.O.

Then you factor in that he's such an old perv it's a wonder that he isn't nominated for SCOTUS...but as a QB...he was a god.

Shazam!
09-26-2018, 08:48 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/1wo5m5/who_was_the_better_qb_john_elway_or_brett_favre/

I had flashbacks of intense QB discussions almost 20 years ago reading that.

BeefStew25
09-26-2018, 10:16 PM
I used to love Favre. Then he and I both aged and...that guy is garbage. The whole retirement drama was selfish and conceited to the point where if Favre wasn't a media darling he'd have been treated like T.O.

Then you factor in that he's such an old perv it's a wonder that he isn't nominated for SCOTUS...but as a QB...he was a god.

He ****** interns with cigars?

Poet
09-26-2018, 10:19 PM
He ****** interns with cigars?

As far as I'm concerned, that is your greatest post.

Ground Control
09-28-2018, 10:20 PM
Let a great DC be a great DC. Maybe the greatest. That's a cool title that he can carry into retirement. Let WP be who he is.

Otherwise, one loss and it's all over? I know all the details of how erratic we have looked but I also remember how erratic 2015 was. This is not 2015, I know. VJ did look like a clown against the Ravens, I'll give you that. He is grown man though and quite capable of learning from that experience. I think he was fine in the first 2 games, as all 3 games were more about Keenum's bad...and good, than VJ. I'm critical as hell at this point too and flashbacks are happening but there are very hard differences between this team and last year's.

Doesn't mean VJ is the guy. Just saying that we're stuck with him and any replacement will not win us a SB this year, regardless. The few rookie HCs that have shined have mostly taken over already winning teams, with solid management. VJ took over a wreck by virtue of QB madness. His coaching staff was full of conflict. I do believe he wanted Mike McCoy, so that is on him. Reaaaaaaally, foolish choice, that. Otherwise, we have to wait and see, so let's wait and see. I'm pretty sure every fan base of a team that struggles until they don't goes head hunting. If we clown this season, there will be no doubt that VJ will lose his head. If we don't clown, all the better.

Either way, there is no scenario where we switch HCs now and have a successful year. So, we suck it up and hope VJ is ok. I'm not sure he will ever be great but he at least deserves this season to be judged properly (since we have no choice). Besides, I'm pretty sure he can't red flag every play, since he is limited to two red flags. I get your point though. My biggest problem with him is discipline. The unraveling against the Ravens has to be attributable to coaching. Wood's lack of imagination leads directly to VJ's lack of control. We'll see how he responds this week. There are no longer any excuses that can be offered. Every fail this year is all on VJ, if it is a coaching fail.

I do still think that Kyle S. would have been nice, if Elway could get over himself at the negotiating table. No use crying over spilt milk though...

Colorado4Life
09-29-2018, 10:32 PM
I definitely agree that if he is fired mid season then we will be essentially throwing in the towel for 2018. My issue is this problem should have been addressed at the end of last season and not allowed to fester and linger into this season. Why do something at the end of one season that you can possibly do in the middle or at the end of the next? Everything within me wants to see him be successful but he doesn’t seem to have it in him and every week it feels like he is along for a ride like a kid from the make a wish foundation. If he steps up this week and shows half the teanacity and dare I say confidence and arrogance of McD then maybe things will improve but this team desperately needs leadership. I hope the ownership question gets resolved ASAP as well. Too many uncertainties are not good for an elite franchise like the Broncos. McD was good at convincing everyone he believed he was capable of being a head coach, Vance doesn’t even seem to recognize he is the head coach. It really seems to be something lacking as he seems like a pleasant enough guy, but as much as I think Mr Rogers would have made sure the Broncos dressed neatly and fed the team fish before each game, I don’t think he could be the leader of the team, now King Friday on the other hand he might be able to take us back to the glory days. :elefant::defense: