PDA

View Full Version : Film Room

MOtorboat
09-12-2018, 02:44 AM
Because I'm a nerd.

MOtorboat
09-12-2018, 03:03 AM
First quarter (6:58), first down, SEA 34, 5 yard out to Emmanuel Sanders.

Shotgun, Trips Right:

Keenum signals Sanders in motion to get into the play, but it also reveals Seattle's Cover 3, with what looks like a matchup zone underneath:

The motion overloads the short side where Sanders motions, and it looks like Seattle flips the defensive formation, making the deep safety a rover in this sense, and in the next frame you'll see him attack the play. The "strong" safety backs into the deep middle third.

Five-yard out to Sanders. But notice who Seattle ignores with the coverage: Phillip Lindsay. So, next post...

MOtorboat
09-12-2018, 03:07 AM
First quarter (6:18), second down, SEA 29, 29 yard TD to Lindsay

Next play, Musgrave takes a gamble on the same play, but reverses it, motion reveals the Cover 3 and exposes the overloaded defensive formation again.

Lindsay flattens out his route a tad, but essentially it's the same play, same motion and everything, but the levels concept is run to the short side of field rather than the clear out, out route to the short side of the field on the play before.

Sure enough, Seattle's in the same coverage and the back is unaccounted for as the defense crashes on the smash route and the out on the other side. Lindsay's athleticism takes several of the defenders out of the play and a downfield block eventually gets him in the endzone.

MOtorboat
09-12-2018, 03:45 AM
Sanders TD also looked familiar from a play Denver ran earlier where the Seahawks sagged off Sutton and gave him a big gain:

Second time around, the cornerback is up on the outside receiver, but the linebacker and the safety create some space that Sanders exploits to make the catch. Thomas is running a gradual double-move on the outside and came back for the block that sprang Sanders.

The difference between the two plays is that they ran max protect early and Seattle didn't blitz initially, so the Broncos ran a slightly different play underneath with the tight end and the back going with criss-crossing routes on outlets. Either way, max protect or the cross, this play was meant to exploit Seattle's Cover 3.

MOtorboat
09-12-2018, 03:48 AM
Also...Garett Bolles is lucky he wasn't called for being illegally downfield on the TD:

Jsteve01
09-12-2018, 07:42 AM
Also...Garett Bolles is lucky he wasn't called for being illegally downfield on the TD:

Thanks for doing this Mo. Be forewarned. Joe doesnt like the term film.

dogfish
09-12-2018, 12:32 PM

it brings out his nerd rage. . .

Hawgdriver
09-12-2018, 01:46 PM
Good stuff here.

NightTrainLayne
09-12-2018, 02:25 PM
Good stuff here.

Indeed. Please keep it up Mo. :salute:

BroncoNut
09-12-2018, 03:37 PM
Mo this is excellent analysis.

BroncoWave
09-12-2018, 03:38 PM
Great read. Any insight on the interceptions?

MOtorboat
09-12-2018, 03:40 PM
Great read. Any insight on the interceptions?

Haven’t looked closely at them yet. There was a miscommunication on the first, and I kind of wonder why Keenum was looking at the inside seam against that high safety, but nothing much more than that. I got through about a quarter and a half of looking at play calls.

Hawgdriver
09-12-2018, 05:18 PM
Haven’t looked closely at them yet. There was a miscommunication on the first, and I kind of wonder why Keenum was looking at the inside seam against that high safety, but nothing much more than that. I got through about a quarter and a half of looking at play calls.

The crosser he threw to Sanders/Earl Thomas baffled me at the time...how did they trick him?

That was the only pick that bugged me. There had to be more to it than just brainfart.

spikerman
09-12-2018, 06:24 PM

Is that Bolles at the 39?

MOtorboat
09-12-2018, 06:38 PM
Is that Bolles at the 39?

Yes.

Past the down marker on 2nd and 5.

spikerman
09-12-2018, 06:44 PM
So I’m seeing him at about 4 yards past the LOS, engaging a defender. By rule they’re allowed to be 3 yards downfield as long as they’re engaged. At 4 yards he’s in a gray area and although a flag could be thrown, it’s close enough that not throwing it could be justified. I would guess that the LJ won’t even be dinged for that since it’s so close.

BeefStew25
09-12-2018, 10:23 PM
Spike just kicked Mo in his midget ovaries.

I love spike.

dogfish
09-12-2018, 10:39 PM
The crosser he threw to Sanders/Earl Thomas baffled me at the time...how did they trick him?

That was the only pick that bugged me. There had to be more to it than just brainfart.

mike pritchard was talking about it on 104.3. . . something along the lines of the hawks were playing zone, but they showed man before the snap. . . he said case read it as zone and expected DT to adjust his route, but DT read it as man and didn't adjust the route. . . or maybe i have that backwards, but essentially the hawks caused a miscommunication by disguising their coverage pre-snap and fooling one of the two. . .

MOtorboat
09-12-2018, 11:43 PM
mike pritchard was talking about it on 104.3. . . something along the lines of the hawks were playing zone, but they showed man before the snap. . . he said case read it as zone and expected DT to adjust his route, but DT read it as man and didn't adjust the route. . . or maybe i have that backwards, but essentially the hawks caused a miscommunication by disguising their coverage pre-snap and fooling one of the two. . .

I'll defer to the guy who played...but I don't see them showing anything other than the Cover 3 they showed on almost every play I've watched so far.

MOtorboat
09-13-2018, 02:49 AM
Watching a little of the Raiders.

Suh’s move to Phillips 3-4 reminds me of Warren Sapp’s move to the 3-4 and out of that 4-3 over/under, Tampa Two when he went to the Raiders and became a non factor. Suh was being moved off the ball and was a complete non factor against the Raiders, at least in the first half.

MOtorboat
09-13-2018, 03:04 AM
Love this play from the Rams. Line up 5-wide with Gurley as the X. He sells the lazy motion and the Raiders don't react at all, shows their zone.

The offensive line blocks like a screen, anticipating the hard rush with 5-wide and then being able to get to the second level and essentially reducing the blocking burden from 10 vs. 11 to 10 vs. 7. Then, Gurley is pretty decent.

Freyaka
09-13-2018, 09:26 AM
Keep up threads like this and you may pass Peter Dinklage as my favorite little person.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/gameofthrones/images/5/58/Tyrion_main_s7_e6.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20170818050344

Nice work Mo!

BroncoTech
09-14-2018, 10:59 PM
In this week's chalk talk, former pro bowl tackle Lincoln Kennedy breaks down the different ways the Broncos like to get receiver Emmanuel Sanders open in space.
https://www.raiders.com/video/chalk-walk-week-2-emmanuel-sanders

Cugel
09-15-2018, 04:24 AM

Dude, do not use the F-I-L-M word around here or we'll have to hear some complaints from him.

MOtorboat
09-19-2018, 02:04 AM
Broncos played a lot of 2-4-5 early against Oakland and it bit them on the butt on the first drive, but looked fine on the second drive. Peko and Harris both got moved off the ball on key runs for the Raiders, and three guys got sucked in to the Spider 2Y Banana bullshit (seriously, it's just a waggle) on a big pass play on the first drive. The front two were better on the second drive and forced a three-and-out.

Peko made up for it on the third drive by sniffing out the play action on a fake end-around on the third drive. Shaquil Barrett made a nice play in the run game that I forgot about on first down.

MOtorboat
09-19-2018, 02:05 AM
That was against Kolton Miller, the Raider's first round pick.

MOtorboat
09-19-2018, 02:48 AM
Marty Mornhinweg is in his third year with the Ravens, and I'm not seeing much of an identity to his offense. Flacco's best attribute is that giant arm, so they're running a lot of slow-developing deep passes (Coryell) with a bad offensive line, but still trying to run some West Coast stuff and incorporate what Andy Reid and Sean McVey are both doing (Lamar Jackson as a wildcat, which makes little sense to me because he has plenty of passing ability...IMO, either play him or don't, don't try to run gimmick shit, which Flacco isn't buying into anyway). It looks like a mess, to be honest. Hopefully our defense can take advantage.

Honestly, scrolling through their offensive plays against the Bengals, I don't see anything that stands out, scheme wise, that should beat the Broncos. The big games were either back-foot heaves by Flacco or dump offs to running backs who found space. Denver's defensive backs should match up just fine with the Ravens wide receivers, and so I started looking for tight end targets that might hurt the Broncos and don't see much.

Here's a play that stood out a little, third quarter, 2nd down and 4, 17-yard pass to Nick Boyle. There's nothing schemed here that beats the Bengals, though:

Cincinnati looks to be in a clear 3-deep zone and just relying on a four-man rush to get to Flacco.

Geno Atkins destroys Marshal Yanda, and Andrew Billings is even getting pressure on a double team.

Flacco, shakes all that off and gets the ball out for the gain, but Cincinnati should have had a sack here. They had the Ravens beat.

MOtorboat
09-19-2018, 02:50 AM
The interior of that line looked pretty bad against Cincinnati, which puts an onus on Peko, Wolfe and Harris to do the same.

If I were Mr. Woods, I'd think about putting Chubb inside against Yanda and daring the Ravens to run, knowing he could destroy him on pass rush. They aren't the same power-running team we're used to.

(Caveat, they were clearing trailing after Green's big first half there)

MOtorboat
09-19-2018, 03:19 AM
I like Keenum’s pocket presence and that he doesn’t panic and back out of the pocket. The Broncos ran a variation of the same play on the first play from scrimmage in each half. First half it was a ace, four-wide tight set, with the tight end motioning into a trips formation. Didn’t do much, just a few yards for Freeman off-guard to the left.

Second half, same formation, the waggle isn’t there, but Keenum steps up and Sanders finds some space and comes back to the ball:

MOtorboat
09-19-2018, 03:20 AM
I like Keenum’s pocket presence and that he doesn’t panic and back out of the pocket. The Broncos ran a variation of the same play on the first play from scrimmage in each half. First half it was a ace, four-wide tight set, with the tight end motioning into a trips formation. Didn’t do much, just a few yards for Freeman off-guard to the left.

Second half, same formation, the waggle isn’t there, but Keenum steps up and Sanders finds some space and comes back to the ball:

MOtorboat
09-19-2018, 03:21 AM
I’ll stick to the PC rather than the iPad...photos small and it posted twice after I hit submit once.

MOtorboat
09-26-2018, 03:08 AM
So, I was curious about the Emmanuel Sanders touchdown. It was early in the game and the Broncos hadn't run anything in the Ravens game to set it up, which sometimes is a good time to run an end-around or a counter to catch a team sleeping. I think that's exactly what Denver did.

First, the preseason end-around touchdown (same exact play):
3:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ15U69uelw

Also, apparently Kevin Hart doesn't like Robert Irwin's ******* animals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO9U_XxN-Kc

#YouTubeHole

MOtorboat
09-26-2018, 03:15 AM
In the first two games, the Broncos ran that same bunch formation, or motion into a bunch seven times. Four times against the Seahawks, a 5-yard pass to Sanders and a incomplete pass to Sutton in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, respectively. And twice in the fourth quarter and both resulted in Lindsay 5-yard runs. One was a counter power run and the other was an outside zone. That was four plays with the same formation, but four different play calls.

The two passes were the exact same play:

It's a trips with Sanders running a short hitch, Sutton a wheel route and Janovich a flair, with Thomas running a slant on the opposite side. A completed five yard pass to Sanders. That was a play before the long touchdown pass here the Broncos ran three gradual deep outs and Sanders was wide open in the middle of the field. Ironically, in that YouTube video above, Sutton makes a catch on a similar play to the touchdown.

This is the play in the third quarter. Keenum tries to throw the slant away from the bunch and throws it behind Sutton. Same route combo on the opposite side.

Those were the first two times the Broncos showed that type of formation this season.

MOtorboat
09-26-2018, 03:19 AM
In the fourth quarter against the Seahawks, the Broncos ran that same formation with a fullback/tight end as part of a bunch with two wide receivers on one side of the formation. The first of which is a zone run to the outside with the fullback/tight end going in motion away from the bunch.

MOtorboat
09-26-2018, 03:24 AM
The second time the Broncos ran that bunch formation in the fourth quarter, it's an interesting way to get into a power run with a counter. The pulling action is the right guard and the tight end.

Those are all four plays from that bunch formation from under center against the Seahawks. They introduced a basic pass play that they've run numerous times out of several formations including from the shotgun with that exact route combo from the bunch and a slant on the other side. They haven't run a slugo on that slant yet that I've seen, but it's another wrinkle they could add, especially with Thomas or Sutton in that lone role on the other side of the formation. But I digress...

MOtorboat
09-26-2018, 03:30 AM
The Broncos ran a similar formation three times against the Raiders. All runs, once in the first quarter and twice in the fourth quarter. The first quarter play is going to look familiar:

I drew, poorly, the play against the Ravens. Here's the play they actually ran:

The Raiders are in a 3-4 base, and it looks like they are playing a fairly basic zone as the left corner doesn't follow Sanders' motion. Result: 5 yard run for Lindsay.

MOtorboat
09-26-2018, 03:32 AM
The other two, Royce Freeman 7-yard run in the fourth:

MOtorboat
09-26-2018, 03:32 AM
Freeman had to break a tackle because the Raiders weren't fooled by the motion, but he got the first down.

MOtorboat
09-26-2018, 03:35 AM
The second is a 3-yard zone cutback for Lindsay, who got down to the one (Keenum scored on fourth down two plays later):

MOtorboat
09-26-2018, 03:53 AM
So...the touchdown against the Ravens:

Here's my favorite frame: Only three Ravens recognize the reverse action at this point, and all three are way behind the play. Bolles' seal block on Patrick Onwuasor is key. The three players that see the play at this point for the Ravens are Suggs and one of the two defensive tackles (they were in a 2-4-5), and Albert McClellan. Weddle gets burned. He's looking in at the running back and is way late on the back side recognizing the play and Sanders is too fast for him. Great play.

Shazam!
09-26-2018, 06:51 AM
Great work. You are clearly a dedicated fan. One who gets no kitty.