PDA

View Full Version : Keenum bounces back, lifts Broncos past Seattle, 27-24

Denver Native (Carol)
09-09-2018, 10:28 PM
DENVER – Case Keenum was in a real rough patch.

The new quarterback who carries almost all hope for a better Broncos season had two early touchdown passes, but then he started throwing interceptions. He was floating the ball high over open receivers.

Worse, his counterpart, Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson, had thrown a 51-yard touchdown pass to Tyler Lockett for a 24-20 lead on the second play of the fourth quarter.

But Case Keenum is a tough-minded son of a gun who didn't overcome the odds and reach his position of prominence by folding whenever times were troubled.

"Play the next play,'' Keenum said. "The game is still in our hands. We’re up and then they go down and score the touchdown – we’ve got to go make a play. You’ve got to forget about everything that you’ve done and play the next play. It was a big time drive when we needed it the most so I was real proud of my guys. They made some great plays and made some great calls at the right time.''

rest - https://www.9news.com/article/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/keenum-bounces-back-lifts-broncos-past-seattle-27-24/73-592424677

Bronco4ever
09-09-2018, 10:50 PM
It wasn't a great first game for Keenum, but I do think getting a 4th quarter comeback under his belt is going to help boost his confidence and give his teammates more confidence in him. Of course it would've been nicer to not have to make the comeback to begin with, which happened in large part from his INT's. He did some nice things today outside of the picks, so let's hope he can clean that up a bit moving forward.

countryrock33
09-10-2018, 09:24 AM
It wasn't a great first game for Keenum, but I do think getting a 4th quarter comeback under his belt is going to help boost his confidence and give his teammates more confidence in him.

Well it's not like he hasn't come from behind in the 4th Q before but I do think that the scoring drive helped him get over the jitters of the 1st. game at home playing for your new team. Historically after a game like this he'll be near perfect the next game. I've watched him since his College days at UH. He always made the play you needed. It became known as the "it" factor at UH. You saw it his R-Freshman yr while battling it out with another player to be the starter for 3 or 4 games while alternating quarters or halves. He always outplayed the QB that had the arm.

gregbroncs
09-10-2018, 11:35 AM
I like that Keenum admitted that the INT's were his fault and took responsibility for them. At the very least he looked like an NFL QB, last year most of the time, it felt like we didn't have one of those on the roster. Some didn't want to give credit to Keenum for the TD's in which we got YAC yards, but the last few years those passes go for less yards because the passes would have slowed the receiver, or missed entirely. He hit those receivers in stride giving them a chance to make the play, something we've been missing for a while.

TXBRONC
09-10-2018, 11:49 AM
I like that Keenum admitted that the INT's were his fault and took responsibility for them. At the very least he looked like an NFL QB, last year most of the time, it felt like we didn't have one of those on the roster. Some didn't want to give credit to Keenum for the TD's in which we got YAC yards, but the last few years those passes go for less yards because the passes would have slowed the receiver, or missed entirely. He hit those receivers in stride giving them a chance to make the play, something we've been missing for a while.

Agreed, I'm glad he takes responsibility for the picks and he didn't get rattled by it, but it's still a concern.

Northman
09-10-2018, 12:36 PM
Thank goodness we have a good defense.

underrated29
09-10-2018, 12:42 PM
I think he playedpretty well actually. At no point was I ever worried like, yep this is it. We will not make the first down. We will not be able to drive down and score. The last two years with Trev/brock/pax I have 100% felt that way.

This game I did not. I did have moments where I was worried he may throw another pick, but moving the ball and getting into scoring range, I was not worried. That to me shows just how much better he is at QB than what we have had. I am not 100% all in on case. But I do feel confident that if we have to drive and score that he can do that. For our team that is so huge.

Plus, almost 500 yards of offense is no joke, on any team!

Northman
09-10-2018, 12:43 PM
Ill reserve my hype until later in the season. I once watched Kyle Orton go 6-0 before imploding.

TXBRONC
09-10-2018, 12:57 PM
Ill reserve my hype until later in the season. I once watched Kyle Orton go 6-0 before imploding.

Exactly, lets see how he's doing and how the team is doing later in the year.

wayninja
09-10-2018, 01:16 PM
Thank goodness we have a good defense.

Russel Wilson. 2 carries for 5 yards. Sacked 6 times, 1 FF, 2 picks.

Did they blow some coverages? Oh yeah, big time. But for the most part, that D was beastly.

Northman
09-10-2018, 01:17 PM
Russel Wilson. 2 carries for 5 yards. Sacked 6 times, 1 FF, 2 picks.

Did they blow some coverages? Oh yeah, big time. But for the most part, that D was beastly.

Our only true weakness is that goddamn LB core when facing TE's.

wayninja
09-10-2018, 01:19 PM
I think he playedpretty well actually. At no point was I ever worried like, yep this is it. We will not make the first down. We will not be able to drive down and score. The last two years with Trev/brock/pax I have 100% felt that way.

Well stated. I also didn't feel that familiar sinking feeling on 3rd down that it would take a miracle to convert. Keenum did a good job of moving the ball. Again, you take away even just 2 of the 3 picks, and the game goes from "pretty decent" to "excellent".

dogfish
09-10-2018, 01:44 PM

yep. . . no one is going to mistake him for brees or rogers, but at least he is a competent NFL QB who can run the offense. . . he obviously does need to clean up the turnovers, but at least third-and-ten doesn't feel hopelessly out of reach this year. . . and while no power in the 'verse can stop king from kinging, you're correct that those YAC chunk plays probably wouldn't have been there last year, because the ball wouldn't have been placed well enough to allow it to happen. . . that certainly doesn't make him an all-pro, but it IS a significant step up from last year's dumpster inferno of QB awfulness. . . the guy is what he is, a mid-tier starter-- it's not an ideal situation, but options are limited when you need to get a QB in free agency. . . i'm just gonna hope that he continues to grow in the system, and that these young players keep showing out, and make his job easier. . . this draft class already looks like a winner, and we got contributions from some holdovers like IRman, butt, mcgovern, etc. . . if case really isn't the guy, then hopefully we can at least put a strong young core in place to be ready for the next drafted QB. . . it's not a one-man game, as we saw with the iggles last year. . .

TXBRONC
09-10-2018, 04:28 PM
yep. . . no one is going to mistake him for brees or rogers, but at least he is a competent NFL QB who can run the offense. . . he obviously does need to clean up the turnovers, but at least third-and-ten doesn't feel hopelessly out of reach this year. . . and while no power in the 'verse can stop king from kinging, you're correct that those YAC chunk plays probably wouldn't have been there last year, because the ball wouldn't have been placed well enough to allow it to happen. . . that certainly doesn't make him an all-pro, but it IS a significant step up from last year's dumpster inferno of QB awfulness. . . the guy is what he is, a mid-tier starter-- it's not an ideal situation, but options are limited when you need to get a QB in free agency. . . i'm just gonna hope that he continues to grow in the system, and that these young players keep showing out, and make his job easier. . . this draft class already looks like a winner, and we got contributions from some holdovers like IRman, butt, mcgovern, etc. . . if case really isn't the guy, then hopefully we can at least put a strong young core in place to be ready for the next drafted QB. . . it's not a one-man game, as we saw with the iggles last year. . .

I've said all along that Case will be fine and think he's competent and talented enough to help this team get into the playoffs it's going take a lot to convince that he's franchise quarterback material.

Hawgdriver
09-10-2018, 04:36 PM
I've said all along that Case will be fine and think he's competent and talented enough to help this team get into the playoffs it's going take a lot to convince that he's franchise quarterback material.

He's no Aaron Rodgers.

MOtorboat
09-10-2018, 04:55 PM
He's no Aaron Rodgers.

Not many are.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-10-2018, 05:04 PM
No one is.

Fify

MOtorboat
09-10-2018, 05:07 PM
Fify

Well...I mean, Elway, Rodgers, Favre...all in the same mold, but you're probably referring to today's NFL, then yes.

I hate to say this, but Mahomes looks like he might be that too.

Hawgdriver
09-10-2018, 05:22 PM
I hate to say this, but Mahomes looks like he might be that too.

Ahem.

Kingsbury credits VR with helping transform quarterback Patrick Mahomes, who led the nation in passing yards and total offense before leaving school after the 2016 season for the upcoming NFL draft.

:deadhorse:

MOtorboat
09-10-2018, 05:29 PM
Ahem.

:deadhorse:

lol.

BroncoJoe
09-11-2018, 09:37 AM
Love the saying "short throws with a bunch of YAC" in an effort to discredit Keenum.

Excuse my ignorance, but isn't every single play called intended to pick up yards and/or score?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-11-2018, 10:00 AM
Love the saying "short throws with a bunch of YAC" in an effort to discredit Keenum.

Excuse my ignorance, but isn't every single play called intended to pick up yards and/or score?
He has good timing and accuracy on short and intermediate throws. He’s mobile and gets the ball out quick; 40 drop backs and only one sack

underrated29
09-11-2018, 11:59 AM
I am not sold on Mahomie. I have this feeling about him like I did Dak.

PS- Wave, where you at about Dak?

back to mahomey- I think he is better than Dak and will be much better but I am not sure he is all that he is being made up to be. Perhaps a Carr level player one day. For me, for now, I am not buying in.

BroncoWave
09-11-2018, 12:02 PM

back to mahomey- I think he is better than Dak and will be much better but I am not sure he is all that he is being made up to be. Perhaps a Carr level player one day. For me, for now, I am not buying in.

Even if Dak never plays another snap in the NFL I've long since been more correct about him than you were. :lol:

Northman
09-11-2018, 12:07 PM

I had seen an article that was saying Dallas still hasnt found their franchise QB. Looks like the support for Dak is waning.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-11-2018, 12:13 PM
So was I mistaken or did I read somewhere that we were the only offense in the league not to have a 3 and out this weekend? If so, that’s saying something. We were like 1st in those last year.

wayninja
09-11-2018, 12:35 PM
So was I mistaken or did I read somewhere that we were the only offense in the league not to have a 3 and out this weekend? If so, that’s saying something. We were like 1st in those last year.

I heard the same.

Yes, YUGE improvement.

BeefStew25
09-11-2018, 12:38 PM

We throw picks instead

HORSEPOWER 56
09-11-2018, 12:46 PM
We throw picks instead

Baby steps... last year we threw 3 picks a game and still led the league in 3 and outs.

BroncoJoe
09-11-2018, 12:49 PM
We throw picks instead

Some #1 fan...

Shazam!
09-11-2018, 01:17 PM
We throw picks instead

Some #1 fan...

No. 1 fan?

Northman
09-11-2018, 01:21 PM
No. 1 fan?