PDA

View Full Version : SI: John Elway is looking for himself

VonDoom
09-05-2018, 10:30 AM
Good piece on Elway’s quest to find a QB like him. Some interesting stuff on the relationship with his son too:

The word on Elway the GM, among those who wonder about his history with young quarterbacks, goes like this: He’s willing to make concessions on intangibles if the kid has an arm. If a prospect can throw a football 50 yards from his knees on a dime, they say, Elway believes he and his accomplished staff of quarterbacking minds can teach him how to be a pro. They can break bad habits, because they’re just that good.

“One of the things about ego is you’ll look at a guy who isn’t developed, maybe doesn’t have the best work ethic, but he’s super gifted,” says former Broncos offensive lineman and current Fox Sports analyst Mark Schlereth, “and you think, Under my expert tutelage I’ll get this guy right, and we’ll have a diamond in the rough. My experience has been, that rarely happens. If a guy doesn’t have great football character off the bat, it’s very hard to develop that in him. If he’s got the type of character to take a day off and play video games instead of studying, and he’ll do that, there’s nothing you can do.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/09/05/john-elway-denver-broncos-quarterbacks

Hawgdriver
09-05-2018, 10:51 AM
I want to know who picked Hogan.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-05-2018, 11:12 AM
I want to know who picked Hogan.
Hogan from Stanford? Good question!!

Cugel
09-05-2018, 12:00 PM
It's not really to surprising. Elway was finally forced to give up on Paxton. Dude was never going to get it. So, they transferred their "developmental QB" label from Paxton to Chad Kelly.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-05-2018, 01:30 PM
Good article.

MOtorboat
09-05-2018, 01:54 PM
Everybody is looking for the next Elway.

atwater27
09-05-2018, 04:33 PM
The irony is that he may have just found exactly what he was looking for with the last pick of last year’s draft.

Jsteve01
09-05-2018, 06:26 PM
The irony is that he may have just found exactly what he was looking for with the last pick of last year’s draft.

Yep. If Kelly stays healthy then i like his chances

aberdien
09-05-2018, 06:55 PM
I'm less concerned about his QB choices than I am about his belief that we have an "accomplished staff of quarterbacking minds."

wayninja
09-05-2018, 07:15 PM
Yep. If Kelly stays healthy then i like his chances

Really? I think his chances to be "the next Elway" are ******* terrible.

I'll settle for "competent at the QB position." Anything else is gravy.

atwater27
09-05-2018, 07:30 PM
Obviously it’s unlikely for him to be as good as Elway. Just funny that of all the yahoos we’ve drafted high at QB, Chad is the best by far.

nevcraw
09-05-2018, 08:41 PM
I'm less concerned about his QB choices than I am about his belief that we have an "accomplished staff of quarterbacking minds."

That was stinks quote. (Not Elways) Who went from an Elway supporter / friend to someone who seems more of a bronco hater than homer. Used to love the guy but conflicted now by his overtop outrage and negativity.

BeefStew25
09-05-2018, 08:45 PM
Stink rules.

nevcraw
09-05-2018, 08:45 PM
Great article.
Elway has shown adaptability and fortitude. He’s way better than most in his profession and isn’t alone in not finding an allusive unicorn type player. But wouldn’t bet against him that he does.

Krugan
09-07-2018, 01:00 PM
So when i first read the thread title, my sense of humor, which is dark in most cases. Led me to so is Mr B. (you know what i mean)....