PDA

View Full Version : DeAngelo Henderson's New Move!

Cugel
09-03-2018, 01:22 AM
This just adds insult to injury. The Broncos didn't just prefer Booker to DeAngelo Henderson, they didn't want him at all. They cut him. He cleared waivers. They didn't even try to re-sign him to the practice squad and let the Jets sign him to their practice squad!

Former Denver Broncos running back DeAngelo Henderson is signing with the New York Jets’ practice squad, according to NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo (https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/02/denver-broncos-deangelo-henderson-signs-new-york-jets-practice-squad/).

It’s unclear if Denver made an attempt to sign Henderson to its own practice squad. The team may add rookie running back Dave Williams with Henderson headed to the Big Apple.

Henderson (5-7, 208 pounds) was selected by the Broncos in the sixth round of last year’s NFL draft out of Coastal Carolina. He showed flashes of brilliance during preseason last summer but was buried on the team’s regular season depth chart behind C.J. Anderson, Devontae Booker and Jamaal Charles.

Denver decided to keep Booker, Royce Freeman, Phillip Lindsay and fullback Andy Janovich on the 53-man roster this year, making Henderson the odd man out. The move wasn’t very popular among the team’s fans.

Henderson dressed for five games with the Broncos last season, rushing seven times for 13 yards. He also hauled in two receptions for 36 yards and a touchdown. Henderson rushed 25 times for 103 yards this preseason, averaging 4.1 yards per carry.

Cugel
09-03-2018, 01:27 AM
But, as an added middle finger to the fans, the Broncos re-signed the waived Isiah McKenzie to the practice squad. So, they preferred Isiah McKenzie to DeAngelo Henderson. I just give up at this point. There are no words.

MOtorboat
09-03-2018, 03:43 AM
The veterans hated that draft class. Apparently they were entitled punks, and that's why they're gone. And he was outperformed by four other people in the backfield, and frankly, he just didn't look that good until he was playing against fourth-stringers. Phillip Lindsay is a far-superior player who will contribute right away, and I get it, were not overly happy with Booker, but he's better than Henderson.

Ziggy
09-03-2018, 11:59 AM
Henderson is amazing! Yet not a single NFL GM claimed him for their roster. Not one. Perhaps he's just another replaceable back in a long line of fan favorites here in Denver.

Hawgdriver
09-03-2018, 12:15 PM
Henderson is amazing! Yet not a single NFL GM claimed him for their roster. Not one. Perhaps he's just another replaceable back in a long line of fan favorites here in Denver.

Fans are always wrong and the NFL is always right? Not buying it.

UnderArmour
09-03-2018, 12:16 PM
Henderson was never competing with Booker, because they are different kinds of backs. Phillip Lindsay came in, and took Henderson's roster spot as change-of-pace/speed back. Booker never had to worry about losing his roster spot this offseason, because he looked good enough in practice for the team to opt against bringing in a veteran back like an Adrian Peterson or Alfred Morris.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-03-2018, 12:32 PM
This just adds insult to injury. The Broncos didn't just prefer Booker to DeAngelo Henderson, they didn't want him at all. They cut him. He cleared waivers. They didn't even try to re-sign him to the practice squad and let the Jets sign him to their practice squad!

You state that the Broncos did not even try to re-sign Henderson to their practice squad, but the article you posted stated "It’s unclear if Denver made an attempt to sign Henderson to its own practice squad." What are you basing your statement on?

nevcraw
09-03-2018, 03:40 PM
Fans are always wrong and the NFL is always right? Not buying it.

Fans only see / get a pinhole worth of info and then take a lot of leaps. They guy didn’t tear up anything. He had one cool touchdown last year and played pretty good against back-ups. He had a cool nickname. So does a lot of repairmen.

Northman
09-03-2018, 04:14 PM
Meh, Booker has never been impressive to me. Certainly not that much more than Henderson. Lol

nevcraw
09-03-2018, 05:20 PM
Meh, Booker has never been impressive to me. Certainly not that much more than Henderson. Lol

Totally agree (not a booker fan at all) but could see the staff not wanting an entire backfield with Less than one game of nfl experience.

Elevation inc
09-04-2018, 12:35 PM
I cant stand Booker as a starter. All he does is run into his OL, but he has shown some skill as a receiver out of the backfield and in pass protection more so then Henderson did. It says something of volume henderson wasn't claimed during the waiver period.

Buff
09-04-2018, 12:39 PM
Klis reports that they did attempt to sign him to the practice squad but Booker felt his chances were better in NY.

broncofaninfla
09-04-2018, 12:52 PM
He's on the Jets practice squad so Denver could sign him if they opt to later as long as he's still there.

BroncoJoe
09-04-2018, 01:51 PM
Klis reports that they did attempt to sign him to the practice squad but Booker felt his chances were better in NY.

Booker?

Northman
09-04-2018, 02:02 PM
Booker?

Im sure he meant Henderson.

GEM
09-04-2018, 02:05 PM

There's reports out that they contacted him and discussed PS, he didn't want that. Must figure he has a better chance at making the active roster in NY.

GEM
09-04-2018, 02:06 PM
But, as an added middle finger to the fans, the Broncos re-signed the waived Isiah McKenzie to the practice squad. So, they preferred Isiah McKenzie to DeAngelo Henderson. I just give up at this point. There are no words.

He didn't want to be on the practice squad in Denver, with 3 guys ahead of him that he had no chance of making the active roster anytime in the near future.

Northman
09-04-2018, 02:11 PM
Yea, Gem is right. The reports are that Denver wanted him to go to their practice squad but that Henderson turned the Broncos down and went to NY.

slim
09-04-2018, 03:12 PM
Oh Cugel....

BeefStew25
09-04-2018, 03:22 PM
Cugel are you a spaz in real life

atwater27
09-04-2018, 04:12 PM
At least we didn’t fully give up on Carlos. He has another year to mature and heal.

GEM
09-04-2018, 06:01 PM
They aren't the same style back. What Booker's strength over the other guys is pass pro. I don't like the move of keeping Booker over him, but I understand it. He also has 2 years live experience, something that neither of the other guys have.

So while I don't like it, I understand it.

Cugel
09-05-2018, 11:54 AM
You state that the Broncos did not even try to re-sign Henderson to their practice squad, but the article you posted stated "It’s unclear if Denver made an attempt to sign Henderson to its own practice squad." What are you basing your statement on?

The wrong assumption that Henderson was available and could have signed with the Broncos if they offered him a reasonable amount of $.

But, the latest news is that Henderson preferred the Jets because he would see a better chance of getting on the field this year with them. So, for Denver to sign him they would have had to have offered substantially more money than NY.

So, Denver cut Henderson, tried to sign him to the practice squad but failed since he signed with the Jets instead.

I don't think DeAngelo Henderson is the next Leonard Fournette. I just think Booker is terrible and anybody would be better than him!

Cugel
09-05-2018, 11:58 AM
There's reports out that they contacted him and discussed PS, he didn't want that. Must figure he has a better chance at making the active roster in NY.

They have 4 RBs on the roster in NY ahead of him. So, his chances might not be better, but he certainly had reason to feel slighted by the Broncos since he was buried on the depth chart behind Freeman, Booker and Lindsay, while out-performing Booker.

True, Booker is a different RB, but not a valuable one. He runs into his own blockers and tried to run over defenders. Naturally that doesn't work and he averages 3 yards a run.

GEM
09-05-2018, 12:06 PM
They have 4 RBs on the roster in NY ahead of him. So, his chances might not be better, but he certainly had reason to feel slighted by the Broncos since he was buried on the depth chart behind Freeman, Booker and Lindsay, while out-performing Booker.

True, Booker is a different RB, but not a valuable one. He runs into his own blockers and tried to run over defenders. Naturally that doesn't work and he averages 3 yards a run.

Booker was the only one on the team with live multiple game starting experience.

Kind of goes along the line of what the vets have said about Henderson's draft class. He felt entitled and while I liked him better than Booker, there was something that kept Booker over him. Experience and blocking are most likely the biggest reasons.

Mike
09-05-2018, 03:32 PM
Booker was the only one on the team with live multiple game starting experience.

Kind of goes along the line of what the vets have said about Henderson's draft class. He felt entitled and while I liked him better than Booker, there was something that kept Booker over him. Experience and blocking are most likely the biggest reasons.

The same thing that kept Orton over Tebow? Kept Lynch hanging around? Same thing that kept Isaiah going back out on the field to return punts? Same thing that kept CJ on the bench? Thought we could be fine without Wade? Thought we could be fine without Talib? I think stubborn coaches or coaches that like/don't like players let it cloud their judgement.

Booker is a meh runner and isn't that good at blocking. It's a different system than last year, so he doesn't have that going for him. Henderson aside, Booker brings absolutely nothing to this team and is a waste of a roster spot.

BroncoWave
09-05-2018, 04:08 PM
The same thing that kept Orton over Tebow? Kept Lynch hanging around? Same thing that kept Isaiah going back out on the field to return punts? Same thing that kept CJ on the bench? Thought we could be fine without Wade? Thought we could be fine without Talib? I think stubborn coaches or coaches that like/don't like players let it cloud their judgement.

Booker is a meh runner and isn't that good at blocking. It's a different system than last year, so he doesn't have that going for him. Henderson aside, Booker brings absolutely nothing to this team and is a waste of a roster spot.

This is such a hot take. He's not a world better, but he can catch passes out of the backfield, protect the QB, and he's the only guy in the backfield with any NFL experience. Those aren't worthless things.

atwater27
09-05-2018, 04:30 PM
This is such a hot take. He's not a world better, but he can catch passes out of the backfield, protect the QB, and he's the only guy in the backfield with any NFL experience. Those aren't worthless things.

Is it possible to use the term hot take more than you do?

Mike
09-05-2018, 04:39 PM

He is the definition of meh, experience or not. Lynch has NFL experience, so I guess we should have kept him too...I mean he can throw the ball, call a play, hand it off...hurrrdduurrrr.

BroncoWave
09-05-2018, 05:06 PM
He is the definition of meh, experience or not. Lynch has NFL experience, so I guess we should have kept him too...I mean he can throw the ball, call a play, hand it off...hurrrdduurrrr.

Not every player on the team needs to be a star. Some guys are just going to be average and that's ok.

The Lynch comparison is just ridiculous. He was clearly completely unable to play QB at the pro level. Booker can give you passable, average play.

BeefStew25
09-05-2018, 05:09 PM
And is proven in blitz pickup.