PDA

View Full Version : Paxton Lynch fighting to make roster: 'I love it here'

FanInAZ
08-29-2018, 01:39 PM
"Obviously you think about it, you're not happy about it, but I've got to do what I've got to do with the hand that's been dealt to me," Lynch said of sitting at No. 3 on the depth chart, via ESPN's Jeff Legwold. "And that's what I'm doing, I'm working my tail off."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000952063/article/paxton-lynch-fighting-to-make-roster-i-love-it-here

What does he mean ,"...hand that was dealt to [him]?" If he did his job better then any other QB on the roster over the past 3 off-seasons, which is what a 1st round pick is supposed to do, he'd be the starter.

BroncoWave
08-29-2018, 01:52 PM
He really seems to have a general lack of self awareness.

Northman
08-29-2018, 02:29 PM
What does he mean ,"...hand that was dealt to [him]?" If he did his job better then any other QB on the roster over the past 3 off-seasons, which is what a 1st round pick is supposed to do, he'd be the starter.

I wouldnt read to much into it, he is just stating he has found himself in a situation he doesnt like and is trying to find a way to be better. Wont work at this stage but thats what his comment is all about.

BeefStew25
08-29-2018, 04:02 PM
Piling on him is boring and easy.

Freyaka
08-29-2018, 04:03 PM

He thinks he's played very well during his time here. Big meanie Elway is just being unfair to him.

ShaneFalco
08-29-2018, 04:06 PM
can we sign tebow already?

Freyaka
08-29-2018, 04:08 PM

Or we could just Cut Paxton and let Chad and Case take care of business lol... No need to bring Teebs into this.

BeefStew25
08-29-2018, 04:11 PM
He thinks he's played very well during his time here. Big meanie Elway is just being unfair to him.

Should we publicly execute him?

Freyaka
08-29-2018, 04:14 PM
Should we publicly execute him?

Yes, Beef...I'm saying we should publicly execute him, preferably slowly with a rusty butter knife.... Would you care to do the honors for us?

BeefStew25
08-29-2018, 04:16 PM
Yes, Beef...I'm saying we should publicly execute him, preferably slowly with a rusty butter knife.... Would you care to do the honors for us?

No I’m not message board tough guy

Freyaka
08-30-2018, 08:29 AM
No I’m not message board tough guy

This routine isn't your finest work beef. You can do better.

BeefStew25
08-30-2018, 08:44 AM
This routine isn't your finest work beef. You can do better.

Get your pound of flesh.

Freyaka
08-30-2018, 08:48 AM
Get your pound of flesh.

https://oslosweatershop.com/267-large_default/trolls.jpg

Broncoknight30
08-30-2018, 09:43 AM

The funny thing about Tebow is I think he COULD HAVE worked out IF so many people did not convince him that he needed to completely change the way he throws. Not my original contention. I read a comment by Joe Montana in regards to that, and he had first suggested that could be a problem.

Was his throwing motion great? No. Did it work? Yeah, it sure did. He broke a record for completion % at UF. He threw it very accurate. It was a bit of a slow wind up. I have seen QBs with great throwing motions that were horrible, and we have seen QBs with not so great throwing motions thrive. Like Bernie Kosar for example.

Talk about unfair situations.

One, going into that 2011 season remember there was an owners lockout. Players were not allowed to meet or "practice." There were no workouts with anyone the entire offseason. PFM said how important that was. At least to him it was. Tebow never did that.

Two, arrives at TC as backup and never works with the first team for good reason. He struggles mightly with the over tinkering of his throwing motion. Which causes more problems than it solved. He is woefully bad at throwing. Something he absolutely thrived at in college, HS etc.

Three, he is shoved into the lineup as starter when the Broncos are 1 and 4. No work at all with the first team, just shoved in there. Elway, in his mind saw an opportunity to kill two birds with one stone. He could shut the fans up who were chanting for Tebow. He could also SUCK FOR LUCK and get that much desired first pick that so many teams desired. Especially Elway.

Then something strange happened. Weirdness. We were all mystified how Tebow would suck for 55 minutes of a game, and then turn into superman over the last 5 minutes. My theory has everything to do with that over tinkering with the throwing motion. He, instead of thinking about making plays, would be thinking about his throwing motion. It did not come natural. As a result, he was inaccurate during the game. THEN, they went into hurry up offense. No huddle, and spread out. He STOPPED THINKING. He then became the playmaker that he naturally is. BTW, one of the greatest playmakers football has ever seen at any level. Really ever. That is what he was. That is what he always was.

Could he have worked out? I think so.....IF he was not convinced that his throwing motion was so horrific that he could not possibly play in the pros with it.

THERE, my TEBOW TAKE. :coffee:

Freyaka
08-30-2018, 09:49 AM

muy caliente...

Though, I don't completely disagree on the tinkering with his throwing motion. I still don't think he'd have worked out because he was a college QB. He didn't have the skillset necessary to make the transfer to the NFL.

Shazam!
08-30-2018, 09:53 AM

The funny thing about Tebow is I think he COULD HAVE worked out IF so many people did not convince him that he needed to completely change the way he throws. Not my original contention. I read a comment by Joe Montana in regards to that, and he had first suggested that could be a problem.

Was his throwing motion great? No. Did it work? Yeah, it sure did. He broke a record for completion % at UF. He threw it very accurate. It was a bit of a slow wind up. I have seen QBs with great throwing motions that were horrible, and we have seen QBs with not so great throwing motions thrive. Like Bernie Kosar for example.

Talk about unfair situations.

One, going into that 2011 season remember there was an owners lockout. Players were not allowed to meet or "practice." There were no workouts with anyone the entire offseason. PFM said how important that was. At least to him it was. Tebow never did that.

Two, arrives at TC as backup and never works with the first team for good reason. He struggles mightly with the over tinkering of his throwing motion. Which causes more problems than it solved. He is woefully bad at throwing. Something he absolutely thrived at in college, HS etc.

Three, he is shoved into the lineup as starter when the Broncos are 1 and 4. No work at all with the first team, just shoved in there. Elway, in his mind saw an opportunity to kill two birds with one stone. He could shut the fans up who were chanting for Tebow. He could also SUCK FOR LUCK and get that much desired first pick that so many teams desired. Especially Elway.

Then something strange happened. Weirdness. We were all mystified how Tebow would suck for 55 minutes of a game, and then turn into superman over the last 5 minutes. My theory has everything to do with that over tinkering with the throwing motion. He, instead of thinking about making plays, would be thinking about his throwing motion. It did not come natural. As a result, he was inaccurate during the game. THEN, they went into hurry up offense. No huddle, and spread out. He STOPPED THINKING. He then became the playmaker that he naturally is. BTW, one of the greatest playmakers football has ever seen at any level. Really ever. That is what he was. That is what he always was.

Could he have worked out? I think so.....IF he was not convinced that his throwing motion was so horrific that he could not possibly play in the pros with it.

I really want to read all that. But i cannot. The sacrifice for Tebows risk was Peyton friggin Manning and 4 years of glory Legend Status.

Northman
08-30-2018, 10:15 AM
Tebow had a total of 4 chances with 4 different teams to prove he belonged in the NFL, he couldnt do it for a varied amount of reasons not just because of his throwing motion. So no, it was not an unfair situation because he got more chances than most QB's who dont work out in the NFL.

BeefStew25
08-30-2018, 10:15 AM
Tebow beat the Steelers.

Northman
08-30-2018, 10:18 AM
Tebow beat the Steelers.

So has Joe Flacco.

Jsteve01
08-30-2018, 10:31 AM
Tebow beat the Steelers.

He did and yet he couldnt go through progressions . And coulsnt consistently make simple reads. Also as much as i like him he should have kept his camp quiet. Been outspoken about supporting Manning and learned from him for 4 years. His career trajectory would have been immensely different had he done that

Northman
08-30-2018, 10:32 AM
He did and yet he couldnt go through progressions . And coulsnt consistently make simple reads.

Which was exposed again against the Patriots the following week.

Broncoknight30
08-30-2018, 10:46 AM
Tebow had a total of 4 chances with 4 different teams to prove he belonged in the NFL, he couldnt do it for a varied amount of reasons not just because of his throwing motion. So no, it was not an unfair situation because he got more chances than most QB's who dont work out in the NFL.

Interesting though. Here was the thing with the Jets. First of all this is going to sound like tin foil hat stuff, but bear with me here. Lets not kid ourselves. The NFL owners main concern are profits and different ways to generate them. Tebow was what would be called an advertising PHENOMENON. Hardly ever see one generate that kind of following for just sitting there. DO we really think the owners were not going to get him to NEW YORK some way somehow?

First of all, looking back at it, the Jags (the opposite of NEW YORK as far as markets) offered MORE to the Broncos for Tebow. That is on record. Elway, all of a sudden traded him to NEW YORK. Elway claimed Tebow chose New York. Well, Tebow pretty much denied that. Pro Football Talk has Tebow's quotes for that. Read this article:
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/22/elway-tebow-differ-on-whether-quarterback-chose-jets/

He is basically foisted onto the Jets. Rex Ryan had no clue what to do with him. He had not intention of using him in any serious way. He was used on punt coverage etc. BTW, in the very limited action at QB Tebow was technically 5 for 5 in attempts. On another note, Tebow's jersey was like 2nd in the league in sales. Since ALL teams share equally in merchandise sold (I think Jerry Jones gets a little more) you can see why Elway would have been instructed to trade him to NEW YORK. Unless we think it was Tebow that was lying in regards to WANTING TO BE TRADED TO NY as Elway claimed. Tebow, is straighter than a grizzly's dick and Elway is a "businessman."

Then Tebow is signed by another BIG MARKET TEAM in Philadelphia. BTW, at the end of that preseason, (like Sloter here) he had the highest passer rating on the team. He was cut. it was rather obvious that he was FOISTED on the Eagles for the same reason he was FOISTED on New York.

Btw, just to reiterate what the NFL does. Remember when Vick let the cat out of the bag? After he was released from prison, he was approached by two teams that were actually interested in him. Buffalo and Cincy. A reporter asked Vick why he chose Philadelphia. They were set at QB at the time. The Bills and Bengals were not. He claimed AFTER A MEETING WITH GOODELL, that he chose the Eagles. That sent all sorts of red flags. The reporters hopped on that. Goodell is not supposed to "interfere" like that. Well, the next day Vick had to issue a press release and claimed he was TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT. You know, the usual bullshit.

Read this article that backs up my claims:
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/18/vick-says-he-didnt-want-to-play-for-the-eagles/

I believe Tebow COULD HAVE worked out IF he did not listen to these prognosticators. We may think those "experts" are so right about everything. That is hardly true.

BTW, in relation that New York theme, do you think it is any coincidence that it was a NEW YORK TEAM in baseball that approached him?

Northman
08-30-2018, 10:59 AM
Interesting though. Here was the thing with the Jets. First of all this is going to sound like tin foil hat stuff, but bear with me here. Lets not kid ourselves. The NFL owners main concern are profits and different ways to generate them. Tebow was what would be called an advertising PHENOMENON. Hardly ever see one generate that kind of following for just sitting there. DO we really think the owners were not going to get him to NEW YORK some way somehow? Get a clue.

First of all, looking back at it, the Jags (the opposite of NEW YORK as far as markets) offered MORE to the Broncos for Tebow. That is on record. Elway, all of a sudden traded him to NEW YORK. Elway claimed Tebow chose New York. Well, Tebow pretty much denied that. Pro Football Talk has Tebow's quotes for that. Read this article:
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/22/elway-tebow-differ-on-whether-quarterback-chose-jets/

He is basically foisted onto the Jets. Rex Ryan had no clue what to do with him. He had not intention of using him in any serious way. He was used on punt coverage etc. BTW, in the very limited action at QB Tebow was technically 5 for 5 in attempts. On another note, Tebow's jersey was like 2nd in the league in sales. Since ALL teams share equally in merchandise sold (I think Jerry Jones gets a little more) you can see why Elway would have been instructed to trade him to NEW YORK. Unless we think it was Tebow that was lying in regards to WANTING TO BE TRADED TO BY as Elway claimed. Tebow, is straighter than a grizzly's dick and Elway is a "businessman."

Then Tebow is signed by another BIG MARKET TEAM in Philadelphia. BTW, at the end of that preseason, (like Sloter here) he had the highest passer rating on the team. He was cut. it was rather obvious that he was FOISTED on the Eagles for the same reason he was FOISTED on New York.

Btw, just to reiterate what the NFL does. Remember when Vick let the cat out of the bag? After he was released from prison, he was approached by two teams that were actually interested in him. Buffalo and Cincy. A reporter asked Vick why he chose Philadelphia. They were set at QB at the time. The Bills and Bengals were not. He claimed AFTER A MEETING WITH GOODELL, that he chose the Eagles. That sent all sorts of red flags. The reporters hopped on that. Goodell is not supposed to "interfere" like that. Well, the next day Vick had to issue a press release and claimed he was TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT. You know, the usual bullshit.

Read this article that backs up my claims:
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/18/vick-says-he-didnt-want-to-play-for-the-eagles/

I believe Tebow COULD HAVE worked out IF he did not listen to these prognosticators. We may think those "experts" are so right about everything. That is hardly true.

Nah, Tebow chose NY over Jax, he even stated that with the media. He then went to the Pats who also had McD who drafted him to which BB said that Tebow could not grasp the playbook (something that has created problems for other players in NE as well as been reported by other teams that Teebs tried out with). Tebow then went to Philly where the offensive system (and coach at the time Chip Kelly) was PERFECT for a player like himself but ultimately was unable to solidify a roster spot. Your Sloter comparison is not a very good one as Sloter is still a 3rd string QB at this current time. You rely to much on preseason stuff man which is unfortunate for the basis of your argument. If there was any hope for Tebow JSteve got it right, Tebow should have stayed in Denver and learned from Manning but he wanted to be a starter and so Denver granted him his trade to a team of his choice. When Tebow arrived in NY they didnt have a QB and yet he couldnt separate himself from the other QB's there. Ive always said that Tebow was a great athlete but not a great QB and that still holds true and the facts support that because he had 4 different chances with 4 different teams to prove he could be the man yet failed to do so. As far as the Vick example that is also very flawed. McNabb was on the outs at the time and Philly was looking for another player to lead the team. So they were not "loaded" at QB like you claim.

The Glue Factory
08-30-2018, 01:12 PM
Tebow beat the Steelers.

Thomas beat the Steelers.

fify

BeefStew25
08-30-2018, 01:47 PM
He did and yet he couldnt go through progressions . And coulsnt consistently make simple reads. Also as much as i like him he should have kept his camp quiet. Been outspoken about supporting Manning and learned from him for 4 years. His career trajectory would have been immensely different had he done that

Ok. He still beat the Steelers.

Freyaka
08-30-2018, 01:55 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oriNLnYCrAj1Rg7qE/giphy.gif

There needs to be a law like Godwin's law for Broncos football... (Godwin's law states that "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hitler approaches 1")

As a thread on Broncosforums.com grows longer, the probability of Tebow becoming the subject of the thread approaches 1.

BeefStew25
08-30-2018, 02:01 PM
Fly to the flame, aspie moth. Fly.

slim
08-30-2018, 02:07 PM

He also built a hospital in the Philippines to help poor children.

BeefStew25
08-30-2018, 02:08 PM
He also built a hospital in the Philippines to help poor children.

It’s cool seeing former broncos thrive. He’s a good dude.

slim
08-30-2018, 02:09 PM

Great guy. I am proud of him.

Freyaka
08-30-2018, 02:19 PM

most people acknowledge he's a good person, it's the football side of things where the debate starts.

Hawgdriver
08-30-2018, 02:23 PM
Tebow was a great football player.

Freyaka
08-30-2018, 02:29 PM

Hawgdriver
08-30-2018, 02:35 PM

Some people believe the earth is flat, too.

TXBRONC
08-30-2018, 04:43 PM

In college yes, in the pros not so much.

Broncoknight30
08-30-2018, 05:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ7kN86gI38

It was not a myth, it happened. Just to make certain people pissed.

Cugel
08-30-2018, 05:48 PM
He really seems to have a general lack of self awareness.

That's been the problem all along. This spring almost all observers of the initial training camp saw that Paxton and Chad Kelly started out on almost exactly the same level. Pretty raw.

But, Kelly mentally prepared to do his job. Each day he took the coaching and experience and built on his successes from the day before and tried to add new knowledge to his experience on the field. And the gap between them started immediately to widen.

Kelly was making progress. Lynch just wasn't. He's essentially the exact same QB he was when he came out of college 3 years ago. No better and no worse. The things (RPO exclusively) that he did well at Memphis, he still does well.

The things he didn't know then (how to be a pocket passing QB in the NFL) he still absolutely doesn't know.

Kelly has been learning how to disguise his intentions and freeze the safety with his eyes so as to allow his receivers to get open before gunning the ball in there.

Lynch has never learned that. His intentions are obvious to the defenders and they can be in position to blast the WR and intercept the pass.

It's just all like that, all the way down the line with those two.

BUT, it's going to cost the Broncos more to release Paxton than to just keep him on the 53 man roster, so they might do that anyway.

They might just keep Paxton as the 3rd QB and deflect all questions from the media "why is Paxton Lynch still on the roster when he's never developed into a starting caliber QB and obviously never will after 3 years?"

The chances he will ever be useful or have a successful NFL career are now essentially zero.

As JFK put it after the Bay of Pigs "10% never get the word." Paxton is just part of that 10%.

Cugel
08-30-2018, 05:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ7kN86gI38

It was not a myth, it happened. Just to make certain people pissed.

It was a fluke then and it's completely irrelevant now, so why bring it up? Who really cares what Tebow did in 2011?

BeefStew25
08-30-2018, 07:49 PM
It was a fluke then and it's completely irrelevant now, so why bring it up? Who really cares what Tebow did in 2011?

Because it was fun and great.

FanInAZ
08-30-2018, 07:56 PM
Because it was fun and great.

I agree with this specific post, but I also agree with Cugel main point that it was a fluke and that it has no bearing on our quest for future SB championships. Tebow is not coming back to the NFL, period.

BeefStew25
08-30-2018, 08:06 PM
I agree with this specific post, but I also agree with Cugel main point that it was a fluke and that it has no bearing on our quest for future SB championships. Tebow is not coming back to the NFL, period.

So. It was fun and great.

BroncoWave
08-30-2018, 08:11 PM

More playoff wins here than Cutler.

FanInAZ
08-30-2018, 08:12 PM

Yes, I was at my favorite pizzeria at the time cheering that play!

aberdien
08-30-2018, 08:13 PM
The most fun time i've probably had watching the Broncos

#TebowTime

aberdien
08-30-2018, 08:15 PM

He's making bank hitting homers and not getting CTE. His career trajectory seems just fine.

FanInAZ
08-30-2018, 08:20 PM
More playoff wins here than Cutler.

Same # of play-off wins as Keenum, Foles has 3X more.

Jsteve01
08-30-2018, 08:21 PM

He's making bank hitting homers and not getting CTE. His career trajectory seems just fine.

Abe you know exactly what I'm talking about. And a $100,000 signing bonus and about $2,500 a month to play double a ball really wouldn't be called making baked in my book when compared to what it could have been in the NFL.

aberdien
08-30-2018, 08:30 PM
Abe you know exactly what I'm talking about. And a $100,000 signing bonus and about $2,500 a month to play double a ball really wouldn't be called making baked in my book when compared to what it could have been in the NFL.

Maybe money isn't his definition of success!

BeefStew25
08-30-2018, 08:46 PM

What would you do if the pay didn’t matter? Well. He’s doing it.

BroncoWave
08-30-2018, 08:49 PM

Between his books, speaking engagements, and ESPN gig, I think he's doing just fine.

wayninja
08-30-2018, 08:51 PM
Yeah! Who cares about Tebow! Let's keep talking about him tho.

Hawgdriver
08-30-2018, 08:51 PM
In college yes, in the pros not so much.

You ask me, he was still a great football player in the pros. Tough, gritty, great attitude, very athletic, made plays, never gave up. I call that a great football player. A terribly limited passer. I'd call him a bad QB in virtually any NFL system. But he beat the Steelers. Well, him and Von.

Northman
08-30-2018, 09:04 PM
Y But he beat the Steelers. Well, him and Von.

Yes, as a team they beat the Steelers. Clarification is important.

Hawgdriver
08-30-2018, 09:08 PM
Yes, as a team they beat the Steelers. Clarification is important.

Pshh. Details.

Jsteve01
08-30-2018, 09:26 PM

Between his books, speaking engagements, and ESPN gig, I think he's doing just fine.

Aye Abe said he was making bank to play double a ball. And disputed my assertion that had he quieted his camp and shown humility after the manning signing and chosen to apprentice under pfm then his career trajectory would have been totally different. The idea that somehow playing AA baseball is the same trajectory as franchise qb or any position in the nfl for that matter isnt even worth debating. It is just arguing.

I love timmy, and Im happy that he is happy but that doesnt change the fact that things could have been totally different for him.

TXBRONC
08-31-2018, 08:48 AM

I don't think that's why Knight posted the video clip.

Freyaka
08-31-2018, 08:54 AM
So I didn't watch last night (rarely watch the 4th game) I hear Paxton finally looked good against scrubs who won't be in the NFL tomorrow. What does everyone think? Was it enough to save him here?

GEM
08-31-2018, 09:04 AM

Krugan
08-31-2018, 09:09 AM
So I didn't watch last night (rarely watch the 4th game) I hear Paxton finally looked good against scrubs who won't be in the NFL tomorrow. What does everyone think? Was it enough to save him here?

Pretty sure he makes the roster, Elway and VJ seem to think he is growing and improving, this of course is just still me gut feeling, but from listening to Elway during the game i kinda feel my gut is reinforced.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-31-2018, 09:09 AM
I quickly scrolled through every page of this thread so it will stop showing up in my feed as having unread posts.

TXBRONC
08-31-2018, 09:10 AM
Aye Abe said he was making bank to play double a ball. And disputed my assertion that had he quieted his camp and shown humility after the manning signing and chosen to apprentice under pfm then his career trajectory would have been totally different. The idea that somehow playing AA baseball is the same trajectory as franchise qb or any position in the nfl for that matter isnt even worth debating. It is just arguing.

I love timmy, and Im happy that he is happy but that doesnt change the fact that things could have been totally different for him.

I don't see how things would have been different. He couldn't throw the ball with accuracy. From what I remember he went a couple quarterback "gurus" it didn't help. His mechanics were still bad. That doesn't even address the distraction the Tebowites would have continued to be. I like the kid but he just wasn't pro quarterback material.

Bronco4ever
08-31-2018, 09:10 AM

All he did was throw 1 yard safe passes to the outside. One of the touchdowns he rolled to his left and hit the guy in the end zone. It was a nice throw, but he was wide open. The next touchdown he threw up the seam in a smaller window. You can tell they tried to call plays that were more in line with his basic college offense.

On paper it looks like he had a great game, but it was hardly impressive. Kelly didn't play as well as he had, but he made much tougher throws.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-31-2018, 09:11 AM
All he did was throw 1 yard safe passes to the outside. One of the touchdowns he rolled to his left and hit the guy in the end zone. It was a nice throw, but he was wide open. The next touchdown he threw up the seam in a smaller window. You can tell they tried to call plays that were more in line with his basic college offense.

On paper it looks like he had a great game, but it was hardly impressive. Kelly didn't play as well as he had, but he made much tougher throws.
Exactly

Krugan
08-31-2018, 09:34 AM

Lynch did what he should have done against 3rd string fringe practice squad players. Kelly got support for doing the same thing, although i still feel Kelly has far more upside, but we cant give one guy props for eating up garbage and not at least give the other the same props.

BroncoJoe
08-31-2018, 09:40 AM
Lynch did what he should have done against 3rd string fringe practice squad players. Kelly got support for doing the same thing, although i still feel Kelly has far more upside, but we cant give one guy props for eating up garbage and not at least give the other the same props.

Agree. Both were also playing with 3rd stringers, so that evens out. I heard a comment early in the game that AZ was playing many of their starters on defense while Kelly was playing. I don't know if that was true, but addresses at least some of his struggles in the 1st quarter.

Freyaka
08-31-2018, 09:54 AM

Oh you found Beef.

Northman
08-31-2018, 10:01 AM
Agree. Both were also playing with 3rd stringers, so that evens out. I heard a comment early in the game that AZ was playing many of their starters on defense while Kelly was playing. I don't know if that was true, but addresses at least some of his struggles in the 1st quarter.

Arizona didnt play their starting defense.

And its a bit disingenuous (not you Joe) saying that Paxton only threw 1 yd passes. While there were certainly some short routes thrown (something that Denver has been doing for the last 3-4 years) Paxton made some very good long vertical passes. Yes, he did it vs 3rd stringers but considering in the past he has looked like dogshit against 3rd stringers i can at least give him credit for having a good outing no matter if i feel its too little too late for him here. We certainly dont need people making excuses for Kelly when he plays poorly or below what he has. People need to remember that Kelly is still young and this is his first action this year playing so some struggles are to be expected but lets not trip over ourselves making excuses when we dont do the same for other QB's.

BroncoJoe
08-31-2018, 10:13 AM

And its a bit disingenuous (not you Joe) saying that Paxton only threw 1 yd passes. While there were certainly some short routes thrown (something that Denver has been doing for the last 3-4 years) Paxton made some very good long vertical passes. Yes, he did it vs 3rd stringers but considering in the past he has looked like dogshit against 3rd stringers i can at least give him credit for having a good outing no matter if i feel its too little too late for him here. We certainly dont need people making excuses for Kelly when he plays poorly or below what he has. People need to remember that Kelly is still young and this is his first action this year playing so some struggles are to be expected but lets not trip over ourselves making excuses when we dont do the same for other QB's.

To be fair, I was only saying what I thought I heard the announcers say. Not the entire starting defense, but "several" #1 players.

Dapper Dan
08-31-2018, 10:22 AM

BeefStew25
08-31-2018, 10:24 AM
Oh you found Beef.

Don’t just cut him. Drain him of all dignity.

wayninja
08-31-2018, 10:24 AM

That actually makes it look a bit closer than the eye test. I didn't realize Kelly put up over 100 yards. I guess he did move the ball ok, just couldn't finish, and that pick was bad.

I thought his rating would be lower than 60 (which still isn't great).

wayninja
08-31-2018, 10:26 AM
Oh you found Beef.

Do you tell all the ladies this?

Northman
08-31-2018, 10:28 AM
Do you tell all the ladies this?

No, they ask him "Where is the beef?"

Bronco4ever
08-31-2018, 10:29 AM
I was exaggerating a bit on that Lynch “only” threw 1 yard passes, but most of his completions and yardage came on 1 yard safe throws to wide open guys who got a lot of YAC. He had a few nice completions but I overall didn’t feel overly impressed by Lynch. Better than what he’s done? Sure, but most of his throws were not difficult. If given a chance in the regular season, I just don’t think a lot of those throws will be there. Seems like fools gold more than anything sustainable.

wayninja
08-31-2018, 10:32 AM
I was exaggerating a bit on that Lynch “only” threw 1 yard passes, but most of his completions and yardage came on 1 yard safe throws to wide open guys who got a lot of YAC. He had a few nice completions but I overall didn’t feel overly impressed by Lynch. Better than what he’s done? Sure, but most of his throws were not difficult. If given a chance in the regular season, I just don’t think a lot of those throws will be there. Seems like fools gold more than anything sustainable.

Yes. You were exaggerating "a bit" :D

You can't really fault a guy for throwing safe to a wide open receiver short who has space in front of him though. Manning did that a lot especially near the end of his career. Taking what a defense gives you to move down the field while protecting the ball is job #1.

Let's be honest. I was one of his best games as a bronco. Sure it was a against 3rd stringers in a meaningless game with literally his future on the line. But let's not pretend it didn't happen. Lynch was good.

Northman
08-31-2018, 10:33 AM

B4, you have to understand the nature of the thing. For Paxton this was his SB moment, let him bask in the glory for once. Lol

Freyaka
08-31-2018, 10:35 AM
Don’t just cut him. Drain him of all dignity.

Will do, thanks for the advice beefchacho.

TXBRONC
08-31-2018, 10:51 AM
Pretty sure he makes the roster, Elway and VJ seem to think he is growing and improving, this of course is just still me gut feeling, but from listening to Elway during the game i kinda feel my gut is reinforced.

I think there is very good chance Lynch makes the team to the dismay of many, but even doesn't I'm not certain that Doesn't doesn't end up with a third quarterback. I'm sure I'll catch flack for this, but I don't think Kelly looked nearly as good as he did earlier in the preseason.

TXBRONC
08-31-2018, 10:55 AM

I wasn't overly impressed with Kelly's performance either. As I said in a previous post, even if Lynch is kicked to the curb I don't see them entering the season with just two quarterbacks.

Hawgdriver
08-31-2018, 11:29 AM

I was stoked to see Lynch ball last night. He balled. It was super simple, but he crushed it. I don't think it would work well in the NFL regular season with him as a starter. Whatever happens with him, I wish him the best.

I think where I've made a mistake is attributing his lack of growth and competitive fire to not caring, and while that may be true, it may just be that the game is too much for him mentally no matter how much time you give him.

It's not cool to dish it out if that's the case. But it's a competitive sport and I just want my team to win, don't want them in the division cellar with a bunch of feel-good points.

Hawgdriver
08-31-2018, 11:31 AM
I wasn't overly impressed with Kelly's performance either. As I said in a previous post, even if Lynch is kicked to the curb I don't see them entering the season with just two quarterbacks.

There's not much out there. If Case goes down, season's over. Might as well let swag get some free reps.

Broncoknight30
08-31-2018, 11:39 AM
There's not much out there. If Case goes down, season's over. Might as well let swag get some free reps.

No, it won't be over. Kelly did not do great. Really one bone headed mistake. Other than that, he looked pretty good.

Knee jerk Twitter era has done more harm than good to society.

Lucky for us they weren't around in 1983. Elway would be been disemboweled by the fans. His rookie season was that bad.

Northman
08-31-2018, 11:49 AM
No, it won't be over. Kelly did not do great. Really one bone headed mistake. Other than that, he looked pretty good.

Lucky for us they weren't around in 1983. Elway would be been disemboweled by the fans. His rookie season was that bad.

Even without the twitter era Elway took a lot of heat, especially for the SB losses.

Bronco4ever
08-31-2018, 11:54 AM
B4, you have to understand the nature of the thing. For Paxton this was his SB moment, let him bask in the glory for once. Lol

I’m not even claiming he played bad. I’m just not impressed that he is only able to run his college offense. He could’ve done this from day one but we asked him to learn a pro style offense and he stinks at it. Only when we revert him to his Memphis offense can he do anything.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-31-2018, 11:57 AM
I’m not even claiming he played bad. I’m just not impressed that he is only able to run his college offense. He could’ve done this from day one but we asked him to learn a pro style offense and he stinks at it. Only when we revert him to his Memphis offense can he do anything.

This is a valid post and speaks directly to the issue, whether some don’t want to admit it or plainly don’t see it.

Freyaka
08-31-2018, 12:03 PM

Elway was ripped pretty good by fans even without twitter. A lot of people were calling for his head after the Jacksonville loss and calling him a career choke artist. It's easy to forget because the two superbowls happened and erased all of that, but people were hard on Elway even without Twitter to spread it around.

Northman
08-31-2018, 12:05 PM
This is a valid post and speaks directly to the issue, whether some don’t want to admit it or plainly don’t see it.

What issue? The only that has been said is he played well last night. Of course the coaches are going to try and put him into a position where he can succeed, thats their job. It doesnt change that he was the better QB on the field last night. Lol

Northman
08-31-2018, 12:06 PM
Elway was ripped pretty good by fans even without twitter. A lot of people were calling for his head after the Jacksonville loss and calling him a career choke artist. It's easy to forget because the two superbowls happened and erased all of that, but people were hard on Elway even without Twitter to spread it around.

To this day my dad still thinks Elway sucked. Never understood his dislike for John but as you said the hate was out there and the media even without FB, Twitter, etc was brutal on John for many years.

wayninja
08-31-2018, 12:07 PM
Yeah, who cares what you call the offense, as long as the result is TD's and no turnovers.

Broncoknight30
08-31-2018, 12:11 PM

Yes, now imagine that being increased tenfold. Considering, we were really limited to what we heard and that was what the media reported.

There were no message boards etc. As bad as he got ripped, would have been that much worse if Twitter or WWW was around in 1983.

TXBRONC
08-31-2018, 12:14 PM

Obviously the interception sticks out the most, but other plays where he didn't make great decisions.

Northman
08-31-2018, 12:17 PM
It was still pretty bad back then and unlike now where you can fight back via twitter/web you didnt have an outlet to defend yourself. John mentioned how much pressure he was under because of all the negativity the media put on him for those losses and how he finally had to move beyond it in order to stay positive.

Krugan
08-31-2018, 12:22 PM
We live in a instant gratification world, and thats just it.

Chads made mistakes, game 4 as a pro, after a year off.

Lynch is in his 3rd season, its not apples to apples. Lynch still, from my seat firmly on my recliner,shows that his growth isnt anywhere near where it should be for a 3rd year guy. We all knew he was a project when he was drafted, sadly 3 years into a project means it isnt getting finished, its just kinda there to be on a list of shit to do....

That being said, i still think he stays here. Man tyring to post at works leads to alot of disjointed responses. I should stop trying:(

TXBRONC
08-31-2018, 12:38 PM
We live in a instant gratification world, and thats just it.

Chads made mistakes, game 4 as a pro, after a year off.

Lynch is in his 3rd season, its not apples to apples. Lynch still, from my seat firmly on my recliner,shows that his growth isnt anywhere near where it should be for a 3rd year guy. We all knew he was a project when he was drafted, sadly 3 years into a project means it isnt getting finished, its just kinda there to be on a list of shit to do....

That being said, i still think he stays here. Man tyring to post at works leads to alot of disjointed responses. I should stop trying:(

Well it was said it could take up to three years with Lynch when he was drafted. Has he learned enough and did play well enough to make the team? I don't know. It won't be surprise to me if he stays or if he goes.

Freyaka
08-31-2018, 12:45 PM
Well it was said it could take up to three years with Lynch when he was drafted. Has he learned enough and did play well enough to make the team? I don't know. It won't be surprise to me if he stays or if he goes.

If we had drafted Lynch in the 3rd (or really even 2nd) I don't know that fans would have been so hard on him, but when you spend a first round pick on a player, he better be ready to contribute within 1-2 years max. That's really not on Lynch so much as it is on Elway, but to see a guy put so little effort into it and hear so many reports about him being the last there and first to go...It's easy to understand where the frustration.

If we had seen progress prior to last night, it's possible last night would have been well enough for him to make the team. I'm guessing it is too little to late at this point, but we'll see by tomorrow I guess.

Hawgdriver
08-31-2018, 12:46 PM

There is probably a point in here somewhere, I just can't see it.

wayninja
08-31-2018, 12:46 PM
If we had drafted Lynch in the 3rd (or really even 2nd) I don't know that fans would have been so hard on him, but when you spend a first round pick on a player, he better be ready to contribute within 1-2 years max. That's really not on Lynch so much as it is on Elway, but to see a guy put so little effort into it and hear so many reports about him being the last there and first to go...It's easy to understand where the frustration.

If we had seen progress prior to last night, it's possible last night would have been well enough for him to make the team. I'm guessing it is too little to late at this point, but we'll see by tomorrow I guess.

Given how fans treated Trev (however justifiable), I'd say they'd have been nearly identically hard on him. If you are the starting QB, fans expect you to perform. Period. There's no mulligans once games start counting.

Freyaka
08-31-2018, 12:48 PM
Given how fans treated Trev (however justifiable), I'd say they'd have been nearly identically hard on him. If you are the starting QB, fans expect you to perform. Period. There's no mulligans once games start counting.

You actually probably have a point bringing up the 7th round Trevor. But the problem with Trev is that he was fools gold. Showed a ton of promise in 16 that people (me) bought into, and then followed it up by proving everyone who was naysaying totally right.

Krugan
08-31-2018, 12:53 PM
But seriously, that oline was ******* awful, trevor got crushed ALOT. He was hurt, and for ****s sake he was a 7th round pick who passed up the 1st round pick and was pushed into starting on a shitty offensive team.

Yet we seem to push past that and give others a pass, it really makes no sense.

Freyaka
08-31-2018, 12:57 PM
But seriously, that oline was ******* awful, trevor got crushed ALOT. He was hurt, and for ****s sake he was a 7th round pick who passed up the 1st round pick and was pushed into starting on a shitty offensive team.

I was a big Trevor supporter (probably the most obnoxious about it) but looking back. I don't think it's fair to put it all on the line. That guy had no field vision. He stepped right into sacks, held the ball for years and couldn't change protection at the line to save his life.

The line was bad, but I think how bad it looked was multipled tenfold by Trevor's ineptitudes.

TXBRONC
08-31-2018, 01:04 PM

Yes, some people might be a little more understand but it certainly would not have been universal. I doubt it would have even a majority. A lot fans think success should come immediately. There is nothing that says a pick has to be ready in 1 to 2 years. Most players aren't going make it the NFL regardless of what round they're drafted in. Btw from what I remember if Elway was going to draft Lynch he had to do it the first round when he did because it was rumored Jones was going to draft him just a spots later in the first round.

What fans think as progress doesn't always match to what the coaches think. They know and see a lot more than we do. Again if Lynch stays I'm not bent out shape and if goes I'm going to get bent out of shape.

Freyaka
08-31-2018, 01:07 PM
Yes, some people might be a little more understand but it certainly would not have been universal. I doubt it would have even a majority. A lot fans think success should come immediately. There is nothing that says a pick has to be ready in 1 to 2 years. Most players aren't going make it the NFL regardless of what round they're drafted in. Btw from what I remember if Elway was going to draft Lynch he had to do it the first round when he did because it was rumored Jones was going to draft him just a spots later in the first round.

What fans think as progress doesn't always match to what the coaches think. They know and see a lot more than we do. Again if Lynch stays I'm not bent out shape and if goes I'm going to get bent out of shape.

If Lynch stays and we cut someone like Holland or Patrick get cut in his place, I'm going to be a little miffed honestly.

wayninja
08-31-2018, 01:26 PM

Who else was given a pass?

TXBRONC
08-31-2018, 01:28 PM
If Lynch stays and we cut someone like Holland or Patrick get cut in his place, I'm going to be a little miffed honestly.

What if all three get cut?

Freyaka
08-31-2018, 01:33 PM
What if all three get cut?

I guess it is what it is, but seeing Lynch on the roster over those two would frustrate me because they are people that will contribute to this team in 2018, Lynch likely will not (and if we need him to, this season is a wash anyway)

Krugan
08-31-2018, 01:43 PM
Who else was given a pass?

So lets use shane ray, outside 1 season with 8 sacks he has manage 5 in the last 2. He was picked in the 5th.

I dont see thread after thread about how he needs to have hot pokers up his arse or what ever other colorful comment one wants to use.

Im just saying, Trevor got beat like a rented mule, and that was the focus.

I by no means think he was a great QB, but damn he was the whipping boy, and still is it seems.

Freyaka
08-31-2018, 01:47 PM
So lets use shane ray, outside 1 season with 8 sacks he has manage 5 in the last 2. He was picked in the 5th.

I dont see thread after thread about how he needs to have hot pokers up his arse or what ever other colorful comment one wants to use.

I by no means think he was a great QB, but damn he was the whipping boy, and still is it seems.

You're joking right? Shane Ray gets plenty of criticism, up to and including people hating him because he has a Kansas City Chiefs tattoo on his back. Everyone was hoping we'd trade him this off season to get rid of him and generally talk about how he hasn't lived up to his potential at all.

wayninja
08-31-2018, 01:49 PM

I'm not sure what Shane Ray has to do with the offensive line or being forced to start on a shitty team...

He wasn't/isn't a great QB. But QB is the key word there. There's not thread after thread about Shane ray on anything... precisely because he's not a QB. Shane needs to improve too. A lot. But comparing Ray to Trev is...well, incomparable.

Were there other QB's that have recently played for the Broncos that were given a pass?

Krugan
08-31-2018, 01:57 PM
Well, it was others, it wasnt just about the offensive line, but ok.

And i see tons of shane ray threads, obviously.

Ill just ****, it seems it would be best.

TXBRONC
08-31-2018, 02:02 PM
I guess it is what it is, but seeing Lynch on the roster over those two would frustrate me because they are people that will contribute to this team in 2018, Lynch likely will not (and if we need him to, this season is a wash anyway)

My point is if they get cut it may nothing to do with Lynch. What was there like ten that all seemed have moments of playing very well? I don't see the Broncos keeping more than six.

Freyaka
08-31-2018, 02:19 PM
My point is if they get cut it may nothing to do with Lynch. What was there like ten that all seemed have moments of playing very well? I don't see the Broncos keeping more than six.

I get your point, my point is, if Lynch is still on a roster spot, he doesn't really deserve a roster spot, there are a lot of bubble players that can positively contribute to this team. Lynch has proven that he is never going to cut mustard, there is zero reason to leave him here when there are contributors who will likely not make the team.

TXBRONC
08-31-2018, 02:43 PM

Ray wasn't starting in 2015. He was playing behind DeMarcus Ware. In 2016 he ended starting several games because Ware was hurt. Then last season Ray was hurt and only played in eight games.

TXBRONC
08-31-2018, 02:45 PM
I get your point, my point is, if Lynch is still on a roster spot, he doesn't really deserve a roster spot, there are a lot of bubble players that can positively contribute to this team. Lynch has proven that he is never going to cut mustard, there is zero reason to leave him here when there are contributors who will likely not make the team.

He deserves to be on roster if Elway and Joseph say he does.

Freyaka
08-31-2018, 02:46 PM
He deserves to be on roster if Elway and Joseph say he does.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that take.

LawDog
08-31-2018, 04:35 PM

Just to add to this, Paxton had 7 completions that were caught behind the line of scrimmage (mostly to an RB), 4 more that were caught less than 5 yds out, and 3 beyond 5 yards (Leslie TD, wide open; LaCosse TD, great throw over the defender down the middle; and a 1st down to White, another good throw down the middle). His incompletion was also beyond 5 yards but that was a throw away with no open receiver). So almost 70% of his passes were high completion percentage, short throws, against a vanilla 3rd string defense, along with 2 quality throws and another good lob while rolling left. Sunshine as QB would have had almost the same success.

wayninja
08-31-2018, 05:50 PM
High completion % passes are totally fine as long as the chains keep moving and TD's go up on the board.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-31-2018, 05:53 PM
What issue? The only that has been said is he played well last night. Of course the coaches are going to try and put him into a position where he can succeed, thats their job. It doesnt change that he was the better QB on the field last night. Lol

That has nothing to do with what I said

Bronco4ever
08-31-2018, 07:12 PM
Just to add to this, Paxton had 7 completions that were caught behind the line of scrimmage (mostly to an RB), 4 more that were caught less than 5 yds out, and 3 beyond 5 yards (Leslie TD, wide open; LaCosse TD, great throw over the defender down the middle; and a 1st down to White, another good throw down the middle). His incompletion was also beyond 5 yards but that was a throw away with no open receiver). So almost 70% of his passes were high completion percentage, short throws, against a vanilla 3rd string defense, along with 2 quality throws and another good lob while rolling left. Sunshine as QB would have had almost the same success.

Exactly. The offense Lynch ran was pretty simple one read. Look for the primary receiver and if he wasn't open, dump it off. 11 of 14 completions traveled less than 5 yards. It filled the stat sheet nicely, but it's not like Lynch was throwing dimes all over the field. His best throw was probably the LaCrosse TD in that tight window.

Cugel
08-31-2018, 07:45 PM

Shane Ray is an elite talent who has suffered from a bad wrist injury he played through all year last year. It must have been pure hell trying to fight off blockers with that painful wrist, but he toughed it out.

Healthy he's a total beast. And he's going to be healthy this year. I don't know how many opportunities he's going to have this season, since he's backing up Von Miller, the one guy you never want to come off the field. But, if he goes somewhere else, he's going to suddenly stun everybody by being an elite pass rusher. That's exactly what was expected of him coming out of college, and that's exactly what he's showed in terms of pure athleticism and determination.

He's just been unlucky with injuries the last 2 years. That's not his fault. Lots of really good players have that happen to them. I was listening to Alfred Williams who was a Hall of Fame caliber talent for the Broncos SB teams. But, injury curbed his career and he never got that chance to wind up in Canton.

Sometimes that happens. We'll see about Shane Ray this year. But, don't be surprised if he goes somewhere else next year and has 12 sacks. Cause he's absolutely got the talent to do that!

Cugel
08-31-2018, 07:48 PM
Trevor meanwhile is just a 7th round QB who exceeded expectations by becoming more than just a cheap training camp arm. He actually won the starting job when Paxton flamed out. Can't even imagine how bad the Broncos 2016 and 2017 seasons would have been if the Broncos had simply had to rely on Paxton Lynch + Mark Sanchez as their QBs.

It was bad enough with Trevor. We know Paxton would have been so terribly much worse!

Broncoknight30
09-01-2018, 06:46 PM
Sloter made the Vikings. Many of their fans want him to be back up. They pretty much hated what they saw out of Siemian. Which was really nothing.

Just saying...

Cugel
09-01-2018, 10:01 PM
Sloter made the Vikings. Many of their fans want him to be back up. They pretty much hated what they saw out of Siemian. Which was really nothing.

Just saying...

Yes, but those fans are idiots who don't understand that the backup QB for a team that expects to compete for the SB must be a veteran, preferably one with playoff experience, but you can't have everything.

You can't rely on a promising rookie developmental QB with no actual NFL experience! That's why it's surprising that the Broncos are going with Chad Kelly as the backup. But, having essentially a rookie QB in Kelly is why they want to keep Lynch. Stupid, but that's the reason. They should have just dumped Lynch and picked up a veteran QB whom might actually be able to start and could play OK.

For Sloter that means that there is ZERO chance the Vikings will promote him to #2 unless he really looks absolutely great in practice. Even then they probably wont do it unless Trevor just absolutely sucks.

slim
09-01-2018, 10:04 PM
Experience should never trump talent. Otherwise, no rookie would ever get experience.