PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal with Jake Butt?

Broncoknight30
08-29-2018, 08:42 AM
I really have not been following his progression if there is any. I was excited at the time when he was drafted FOR FUTURE value. The fact that I am not hearing any sort of hype or anything at all is a bit concerning.

How is he coming along. He is making the team, right?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-29-2018, 09:01 AM
He’s #2 on the depth chart and is progressing just fine. He’s just been outshined by Jeff H.

Freyaka
08-29-2018, 09:02 AM
I really have not been following his progression if there is any. I was excited at the time when he was drafted FOR FUTURE value. The fact that I am not hearing any sort of hype or anything at all is a bit concerning.

He's absolutely making the team. But Jeff IRMan finally got healthy and started playing like a beast.

broncofaninfla
08-29-2018, 09:02 AM
Yes, definitely making the team and looking good. It looks like he'll be listed as the #2 TE on the depth chart but I expect him to get his fair share of reps during the games given he seems to be the best receiving TE. Heuerman seems like the better all around TE at this point and has also looked pretty good himself. Given the improved play of the OL I expect to see Denvers TE's get more involved with catching the ball instead of pass blocking. Just my take.....

Freyaka
08-29-2018, 09:05 AM
Yes, definitely making the team and looking good. It looks like he'll be listed as the #2 TE on the depth chart but I expect him to get his fair share of reps during the games given he seems to be the best receiving TE. Heuerman seems like the better all around TE at this point and has also looked pretty good himself. Given the improved play of the OL I expect to see Denvers TE's get more involved with catching the ball instead of pass blocking. Just my take.....

I'd actually have to debate the "best receiving TE" status. That's not a knock on Butt, more that Heuerman has been amazing as a receiver this pre-season and if he keeps it up, is going to be fun to watch.

That freaking stiff arm lol.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-29-2018, 09:07 AM
There’s a reason Jeff was drafted in the 2nd round.

broncofaninfla
08-29-2018, 09:09 AM
I'd actually have to debate the "best receiving TE" status. That's not a knock on Butt, more that Heuerman has been amazing as a receiver this pre-season and if he keeps it up, is going to be fun to watch.

That freaking stiff arm lol.

Agreed. That stiff arm and throwing the defender like a rag doll got the high fives rolling in my living room lol
Heuerman seems to be the more rounded player but both he a Butt seem to have great hands. The TE position looks strong again in Denver.

Freyaka
08-29-2018, 09:12 AM
Agreed. That stiff arm and throwing the defender like a rag doll got the high fives rolling in my living room lol
Heuerman seems to be the more rounded player but both he a Butt seem to have great hands. The TE position looks strong again in Denver.

Yea, the two positions I was most worried about (TE and QB) seem solid this year. The positions I wasn't worried about (CB and Safety) look slightly more suspect.

underrated29
08-29-2018, 11:09 AM
Butt is way better than IRman, but IRman has been playing amazingly (for him anyway). Butt has been used more as the blocker and IRman as the receiver. Both have obviously mixed but that is why you have not seen Butt a ton because he has been blocking. He will be our best TE eventually, but he needs a year at least to get back to form, get his strength back and figure out the game.

He should have a real nice season for us. Even better next year!

BeefStew25
08-29-2018, 12:08 PM
What about Virgil green

Freyaka
08-29-2018, 12:18 PM
What about Virgil green

He's a charger, what about him?

slim
08-29-2018, 01:05 PM
There’s a reason Jeff was drafted in the 2nd round.

Is there also a reason he was drafted in the 3rd round?

Buff
08-29-2018, 01:09 PM
I don't want to hear about the labor pains - just show me the baby. This position is shaping up to be another major deficiency for us this year.

slim
08-29-2018, 01:18 PM

Yes, the reason he was drafted in the 3rd round is because no one drafted him in the 2nd round.

MOtorboat
08-29-2018, 01:27 PM
I’m not on the Heuerman train, and I don’t like how this offensive coordinator uses tight ends. Butt would be a weapon if used right; maybe he’s not quit healthy yet.

slim
08-29-2018, 01:29 PM
I’m not on the Heuerman train, and I don’t like how this offensive coordinator uses tight ends. Butt would be a weapon if used right; maybe he’s not quit healthy yet.

If you were in charge of tight ends, how would use them?

MOtorboat
08-29-2018, 01:34 PM

I’d try to spread the field more in the passing game. Lots of seem routes and outs. I liked getting Heuerman involved in the passing game early last week (but he also fumbled, luckily it was out of bounds). Even though it’s preseason, two catches for tight ends is too few.

broncofaninfla
08-29-2018, 01:46 PM
I don't want to hear about the labor pains - just show me the baby. This position is shaping up to be another major deficiency for us this year.

How so? I've seen no deficiencies whatsoever from the position so far in preseason. The blocking has been good, all have been solid running routes and catching the ball. Heuerman has flashed signs of being a bull after the catch. I think this could end up being a pretty strong group.

Freyaka
08-29-2018, 01:58 PM
I’d try to spread the field more in the passing game. Lots of seem routes and outs. I liked getting Heuerman involved in the passing game early last week (but he also fumbled, luckily it was out of bounds). Even though it’s preseason, two catches for tight ends is too few.

I don't put too much stock in how any one position is being used in the preseason. Right now we're in vanilla mode. Musgrave has shown a good deal of creativity in his playcalling even in vanilla preseason, I'll start judging after week one.

Broncoknight30
08-29-2018, 02:02 PM

Josh McDaniels?

MOtorboat
08-29-2018, 02:10 PM
Josh McDaniels?

Yep. He uses tight ends well.

MOtorboat
08-29-2018, 02:11 PM
I don't put too much stock in how any one position is being used in the preseason. Right now we're in vanilla mode. Musgrave has shown a good deal of creativity in his playcalling even in vanilla preseason, I'll start judging after week one.

I’m not so sure Game 3 was vanilla mode, but it’s a fair point about preseason.

Freyaka
08-29-2018, 02:28 PM
I’m not so sure Game 3 was vanilla mode, but it’s a fair point about preseason.

To be fair to your point, in 2016 when he was OC there, the raiders had 580 yards receiving for TE's in 2015 it was 668. You actually may have a fair point based off historical playcalling and not just this preseason.

Broncoknight30
08-29-2018, 02:59 PM
yep. Tom brady uses tight ends well.

fify

Broncoknight30
08-29-2018, 03:04 PM

I am really not so sure about that vanilla mode. Some teams have the luxury of being in vanilla mode. The Broncos coming into this season, is not one of those teams. One, of the main problems with this team is their confidence. More to the point their lack thereof. After the first preseason, and after their pure ineptitude coming off a shit season with a new QB, I think it was more important to generate something.

They ran a flea flicker on their second play against the Bears. Incomplete, but that is what they did. I think they showcased a little more than perhaps usual. I do think it was rather imperative to give this team a spark of hope. Cause, it was not there after the first preseason.

If they came off a dynamic season with NO questions with the starting QB etc, then yeah. BTW, one of the main themes this offseason from the time they signed CK was they wanted to make it known WHO that starting QB is. Unlike last year with the back and forth.

Again, after the no show of the starting offense in week one, I think they opened it up a little.

BeefStew25
08-29-2018, 03:49 PM
He's a charger, what about him?

He’s a tight end. Unlike you.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-29-2018, 06:17 PM

Yes, yes there is.

Magnificent Seven
08-29-2018, 07:08 PM
I like Austin Traylor. He reminds me of TE Dwayne Carswell. Carswell was a solid back up for Sharpe.

ChubbNYiadom
08-29-2018, 07:20 PM
I've honestly never seen so much stock put into the pre season in my life, last year we look great in the pre season and win every game only to end up picking 5th overall. This year we're trying to iron some things out and people are wanting amazing pre season performances.

Pre season means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of what's to come in the regular season.

Jeff has looked solid, Jake has looked solid throughout camp it just so happens the guy with tons of potential in Jeff is finally ready to play and is looking good. Not a knock on Jake, just means we're deeper than we thought we'd be at tightend.

Buff
08-29-2018, 07:46 PM
I've honestly never seen so much stock put into the pre season in my life, last year we look great in the pre season and win every game only to end up picking 5th overall. This year we're trying to iron some things out and people are wanting amazing pre season performances.

Pre season means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of what's to come in the regular season.

Jeff has looked solid, Jake has looked solid throughout camp it just so happens the guy with tons of potential in Jeff is finally ready to play and is looking good. Not a knock on Jake, just means we're deeper than we thought we'd be at tightend.

We have two full seasons of absolutely zero production from Heurman and it was a position of need the entire time... It's not like he was biding his time behind a productive player.

You are the one basing your opinion entirely on preseason production.

I hope you guys are right - but I'll believe it when I see it.

FanInAZ
08-29-2018, 07:52 PM

I disagree with you on about 90% of what you just wrote. Its true that wins and losses during the preseason doesn't prove anything, something that just about every fan who isn't a paid propagandist for teams understands. What pre-season does tell you how well your players have developed in the basic fundamentals of doing their job. If your OL can't protect your QB vs. the vanilla pass rushes, there's no way they're going to protect your QB during the regular season. Receivers who have a knack for dropping the ball, defenders with terrible tackling technics, PRs who keep muffing punts, etc. will continue to have these break downs in their basic fundamentals on opening day. They may correct them over time, but this isn’t an overnight process.

Cugel
08-29-2018, 08:14 PM
Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post

Wrong forum for this post. :laugh:

Broncoknight30
08-29-2018, 09:45 PM
I disagree with you on about 90% of what you just wrote. Its true that wins and losses during the preseason doesn't prove anything, something that just about every fan who isn't a paid propagandist for teams understands. What pre-season does tell you how well your players have developed in the basic fundamentals of doing their job. If your OL can't protect your QB vs. the vanilla pass rushes, there's no way they're going to protect your QB during the regular season. Receivers who have a knack for dropping the ball, defenders with terrible tackling technics, PRs who keep muffing punts, etc. will continue to have these break downs in their basic fundamentals on opening day. They may correct them over time, but this isn’t an overnight process.

I remember on another forum (sports hoopla) on the Broncos message board that I thought the Broncos defense in 2015 could break the franchise record for sacks (57 1984) and was going to be one special defense after the first preseason game. Yes, tooting my own horn. :)

I had for years on the espn Broncos message board been crying for the 3-4 defense. Yes, they went to it in 2009 and 2010 and had some success.

However, when they drafted Von, he was the PERFECT 3-4 OLB
Anyway, the point is that preseason really showed what the defense would look like. Just a couple of series too.

Wins and losses don't mean shit. The 2008 Lions and 2017 Browns, both unbeaten in preseason. Broncos last year unbeaten in preseason.

Actually, the last two weeks have showed me a little hope as far as the starters. They have looked decent.

nevcraw
08-29-2018, 11:45 PM

Soo u like to spread that tight end out? Would you spread Butt out too?

MOtorboat
08-30-2018, 12:03 AM
Soo u like to spread that tight end out? Would you spread Butt out too?

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

:whoknows:

Broncoknight30
08-30-2018, 08:16 AM
Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

:whoknows:
Also, a hundred bucks is a hundred bucks.

TXBRONC
08-30-2018, 08:42 AM

That's impressive to be drafted in back to back rounds in the same draft by the same team.

Ground Control
09-01-2018, 11:03 PM

He's been shining in the pre-season, especially in the red/ end zone with fantastic grabs. Heuerman finally looks good too. He's definitely making the team but I think they are trying to keep film on him limited with his small use in preseason games. He will surely be a force this year, IMO. Especially near the goal line. If Heuerman keeps balling, all the better. He can keep the number one spot and they both can be a killer duo. Heuerman more a chain-mover, Butt more a scorer. Or, both could just be ballers. All of them, and even LaCross, are starting to make me quite happy about our situation at that position.

Ground Control
09-01-2018, 11:13 PM
We have two full seasons of absolutely zero production from Heurman and it was a position of need the entire time... It's not like he was biding his time behind a productive player.

You are the one basing your opinion entirely on preseason production.

I hope you guys are right - but I'll believe it when I see it.

True...Butt...Heuerman has all the traits and experience to be a force. And now he has a fire up his ass, looking at a guy that is his better mirror image. Competition is good.

I haven't been impressed with every move Elway and VJ have made, nor do I believe more than 50% of their propaganda. I do believe they (and all the players, from early camp quotes) saw enough big game from Butt to not want to show it during the pre-season games. From what I've seen of Butts film from Michigan, I'm a believer. Most highlight films can be a mixed bag but he looked like a badass. And he's been that in camp.

That can be a major motivating factor for Heuerman, who was himself a high round pick, full of potential.

Anyway, like you said, we'll see. I just think the evidence points to more than just homer-hope.

Ground Control
09-01-2018, 11:42 PM
I like Austin Traylor. He reminds me of TE Dwayne Carswell. Carswell was a solid back up for Sharpe.

I liked him allot, too. Too bad he got cut. I hope he makes wavers but all the best to him if he makes another team's starting roster. He's more than just a blocking TE. He has solid receiving skills. LaCross balled in pre-season games but maybe this another case of VJ not using a guy properly and assumed he's not as good as someone he used? Regardless, AT is a baller and will do well for whatever team he plays for. If Heuerman or Butt get hurt again, I hope he stays on the practice squad. We could use him later...

Ground Control
09-01-2018, 11:43 PM
I am really not so sure about that vanilla mode. Some teams have the luxury of being in vanilla mode. The Broncos coming into this season, is not one of those teams. One, of the main problems with this team is their confidence. More to the point their lack thereof. After the first preseason, and after their pure ineptitude coming off a shit season with a new QB, I think it was more important to generate something.

They ran a flea flicker on their second play against the Bears. Incomplete, but that is what they did. I think they showcased a little more than perhaps usual. I do think it was rather imperative to give this team a spark of hope. Cause, it was not there after the first preseason.

If they came off a dynamic season with NO questions with the starting QB etc, then yeah. BTW, one of the main themes this offseason from the time they signed CK was they wanted to make it known WHO that starting QB is. Unlike last year with the back and forth.

Again, after the no show of the starting offense in week one, I think they opened it up a little.

Yep.

Ground Control
09-01-2018, 11:49 PM
Yes, the reason he was drafted in the 3rd round is because no one drafted him in the 2nd round.

lol.

Ground Control
09-01-2018, 11:57 PM
Butt is way better than IRman, but IRman has been playing amazingly (for him anyway). Butt has been used more as the blocker and IRman as the receiver. Both have obviously mixed but that is why you have not seen Butt a ton because he has been blocking. He will be our best TE eventually, but he needs a year at least to get back to form, get his strength back and figure out the game.

He should have a real nice season for us. Even better next year!

Agreed, except I think/ hope the team saw enough great stuff from him at camp that they used him sparingly in pre-season games. All the players were hyping Butt in a big way for his one-handed catches and dominating defenders in the end zone. From what I've seen of his Michigan tape, he seems the very real deal. I think they are going to use him tons this season, especially near the end zone. They just kept his catching ability under wraps and used him mostly as a blocker because...

A) They wanted to hide him.

B) Blocking was a question he needed to answer.

We'll see..

sneakers
09-02-2018, 01:21 AM
lol butt

Broncoknight30
09-02-2018, 03:33 AM
lol butt

When they had Dixon, fans could have held up signs....

Dixon Butt!!!!!!!!

Broncoknight30
09-02-2018, 03:34 AM
lol butt

When they had Dixon, fans could have held up signs....

Dixon Butt!!!!!!!!

GEM
09-02-2018, 08:19 AM

What? 2 posts in a row? Quit=quite and seem=seam. Get it together, Mo!

Hawgdriver
09-02-2018, 08:31 AM
What? 2 posts in a row? Quit=quite and seem=seam. Get it together, Mo!

What's going on, Mo? Is this a cry for help?

MOtorboat
09-02-2018, 09:39 AM
What's going on, Mo? Is this a cry for help?

I should stop typing on my phone.

BroncoJoe
09-02-2018, 09:51 AM
I should stop typing.

fify.

:D

MOtorboat
09-02-2018, 09:53 AM
fify.

:D

You have a hard time reading more than four words at a time. I get it.

Nomad
09-02-2018, 04:46 PM
Shots fired.