PDA

View Full Version : Broncos sign Adam Pacman Jones

Broncoknight30
08-26-2018, 01:42 PM
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24483811/ex-cincinnati-bengals-cb-adam-jones-sign-deal-denver-broncos

Free-agent cornerback Adam Jones told ESPN's Josina Anderson that he will sign with the Denver Broncos.

Jones worked out for the Broncos on Sunday morning. He has a history with Broncos head coach Vance Joseph, who was the Cincinnati Bengals' defensive backs coach in 2014-15. Jones played for the Bengals from 2010-17.

Jones became an unrestricted free agent after the Bengals told him that they were not going to pick up the option on his contract for the 2018 season, with the hope that the veteran would return in 2018 at a lesser price.

Jones, who turns 35 on Sept. 30, played in only nine games last season due to a combination of injury and a one-game suspension for a violation of the NFL's personal conduct policy due to an arrest last January.

-----------------------------------------------

https://stopthesethings.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/ashamed-head-in-hands-e1397366111938.jpg

gregbroncs
08-26-2018, 02:00 PM
Can he be the 3rd CB? I used to dislike the guy but havn't paid any attention to him for a few years. Is he still any good?

tomjonesrocks
08-26-2018, 02:02 PM
Man, I wish I could find some good audio or video from Bryant Gumbel's Real Sports interview where he asks Pacman Jones if he "Did you make it rain?" Was one of the all-time greats. HBO has done a good job burying that in the archives unfortunately...

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-26-2018, 02:24 PM
Man, I wish I could find some good audio or video from Bryant Gumbel's Real Sports interview where he asks Pacman Jones if he "Did you make it rain?" Was one of the all-time greats. HBO has done a good job burying that in the archives unfortunately...

“The stip club”

Dapper Dan
08-26-2018, 02:26 PM
He's like Aqib Talib without the talent.

Northman
08-26-2018, 02:36 PM
Sheeesh, scraping the bottom of the barrell i see.

BroncoWave
08-26-2018, 02:38 PM
I like the signing, personally. Gives us depth at CB and makes McKenzie expendable. We aren't asking him to come in and be a star.

Shazam!
08-26-2018, 02:44 PM
I like the signing, personally. Gives us depth at CB and makes McKenzie expendable. We aren't asking him to come in and be a star.

Yes. He came on the cheap.

BroncoWave
08-26-2018, 02:45 PM
Yes. He came on the cheap.

And if he doesn't work out, BFD. At this point of the off-season, anyone you bring in is going to be from the scrap heap.

chazoe60
08-26-2018, 02:47 PM
Can he return punts?

BroncoWave
08-26-2018, 02:53 PM
Can he return punts?

That's basically been his biggest skill in his career. Probably why we signed him so he could give us CB and and let us dump McKenzie.

chazoe60
08-26-2018, 02:55 PM
That's basically been his biggest skill in his career. Probably why we signed him so he could give us CB and and let us dump McKenzie.

I meant to say can he STILL return punts. I'd love to see us dump McKenzie, hes a waste of a roster spot.

BroncoWave
08-26-2018, 02:56 PM
I meant to say can he STILL return punts. I'd love to see us dump McKenzie, hes a waste of a roster spot.

Even if he can just not turn the ball over he's already an upgrade.

Broncoknight30
08-26-2018, 03:06 PM

I liked everything i see out of Lindsay, including his return game.

iLands
08-26-2018, 03:16 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I3W8FE-Cdeg

Welcome aboard!

DenBronx
08-26-2018, 03:22 PM
Meh...should of just kept 2 chainz. He was a huge part of out defense.

Bronco4ever
08-26-2018, 03:31 PM
I would've liked DRC or Breeland signings better, but Jones could be an upgrade at Nickel or Dime over the young pups.

BroncoWave
08-26-2018, 04:12 PM

Couldn't afford him. Pacman is cheap.

ShaneFalco
08-26-2018, 04:15 PM
so why did we trade talb again?

we just replaced him with a 34 year old cancer

ShaneFalco
08-26-2018, 04:16 PM
******* terrible

BroncoWave
08-26-2018, 04:23 PM

Because there is a thing called a salary cap.

tomjonesrocks
08-26-2018, 04:44 PM
“The stip club”

Dammit Al, it’s “Scrip Club”. Scrip club! And “it ain’t no sin go to scrip club...”

And “He mighta thrown a few dollas in the air...” :D

MOtorboat
08-26-2018, 05:11 PM

No, Talib was replaced by Roby on a rookie contract that escalated to fourth-year cap number, which is higher. This is a look-see for a third/fourth corner and maybe a returner on a veteran minimum.

I like Talib as much as the next guy, but this signing doesn’t have much to do with him. The Broncos chose to pay Roby instead of Talib.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-26-2018, 05:19 PM
Dammit Al, it’s “Scrip Club”. Scrip club! And “it ain’t no sin go to scrip club...”

And “He mighta thrown a few dollars in the air...” :D

When he got suspended didnt he say he just went there to get some food? 😂😂

TXBRONC
08-26-2018, 06:58 PM

No Shane Denver didn't replace Talib with Jones. Jones will not be starter.

ChubbNYiadom
08-26-2018, 08:04 PM

Pacman return duty dqys have been long gone dude, this has nothing to do with McKenzie going or staying, the Broncos are lacking depth at corner behind Harris Roby Yiadom. Those 3 are pretty much it. Langley isn't ready

BroncoWave
08-26-2018, 08:12 PM
Pacman return duty dqys have been long gone dude, this has nothing to do with McKenzie going or staying, the Broncos are lacking depth at corner behind Harris Roby Yiadom. Those 3 are pretty much it. Langley isn't ready

He's returned punts every year of his career, including last year.

ChubbNYiadom
08-26-2018, 08:42 PM
He's returned punts every year of his career, including last year.

He hasn't been good at it since when? If you want a guy to just catch the ball on a fair catch then just put Sanders back there or something. Jones is here to play some nickel and dime on the cheap.

BroncoWave
08-26-2018, 08:44 PM
He hasn't been good at it since when? If you want a guy to just catch the ball on a fair catch then just put Sanders back there or something. Jones is here to play some nickel and dime on the cheap.

He averaged 21 yards per return last season.

ChubbNYiadom
08-26-2018, 08:46 PM
He averaged 21 yards per return last season.

Not good enough, need at least 30 per.

BroncoWave
08-26-2018, 08:47 PM

Ok Yash.

tomjonesrocks
08-26-2018, 08:50 PM
When he got suspended didnt he say he just went there to get some food? ����

Or if you like ... FiISH! Try somma that brown-butter skate from the steam table ... heh heh ... yeah ... (3:00)
https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/strip-club/n13115

ChubbNYiadom
08-26-2018, 08:53 PM
But really this is about as good of a pick up your going to get around this time of the year.

dogfish
08-26-2018, 09:19 PM

put the madden down, esse. . .

Slick
08-26-2018, 09:24 PM
Not a big fan of this signing. I would have rather had K Webster back. He signed with Houston like 3 hours ago.

Ground Control
08-26-2018, 09:43 PM
He's like Aqib Talib without the talent.

Stats seem decent. Not Talib...but very few are (including Talib last year). Talib was a cancer in the locker room though, so is this guy that? Honest question as I am clueless on Pacman. We needed another corner regardless and if Pacman will fill the roster, so Simmons doesn't have to swicth over to corner, I'm down.

Ground Control
08-26-2018, 09:44 PM
Not a big fan of this signing. I would have rather had K Webster back. He signed with Houston like 3 hours ago.

I would have loved that also. Too bad.

dogfish
08-26-2018, 10:01 PM
Stats seem decent. Not Talib...but very few are (including Talib last year). Talib was a cancer in the locker room though, so is this guy that? Honest question as I am clueless on Pacman. We needed another corner regardless and if Pacman will fill the roster, so Simmons doesn't have to swicth over to corner, I'm down.

he's capable, but he's also a supreme knucklehead, who brings loser bengal culture with him. . . remember that playoff game in '15, when cincy melted down against pittsburgh, and gave the game back? IIRC, idiot jones was responsible for one of those back-breaking penalties down the stretch. . . he also assaulted a member of airport personnel recently. . . at best, he's a solid veteran slot corner-- at worst, he's a washed-up flavor clown. . . i would have taken a shot on webster, DRC, or breeland. . . JMO. . .

Cugel
08-26-2018, 10:05 PM
But really this is about as good of a pick up your going to get around this time of the year.

If he can still play. This reminds me of Champ Bailey trying and failing to make the Saints roster in 2014 after he was released by the Broncos.

But, realistically, he could just be another guy they bring in like Jamaal Charles last year who theoretically could be good if they had anything left, but don't end up contributing much at all.

Ground Control
08-26-2018, 10:13 PM

Other replies covered the basics, so I'll just address the cancer thing. Talib was a cancer. He was awesome when all was going well and he was a violent fire that sparked the Denver D, but when things weren't going well? He was an ******* that attacked the Broncos from the inside. I loved him also but he is gone. And Pacman is no more a cancer than Talib. I don't know the numbers for sure but I think vet minimum is about a million. That's a big difference from 11 million (why we traded Talib, to answer your question). Not the same level of talent at all but not a horrible person to have in the backfield. And if he keeps Simmons at Safety and away from corner duties, I'm OK with that.

If Pacman screws up off the field, it was a bad signing. If not, he is not. He has not shown himself to be the cancer in the locker room that Talib is. Talib will do fine on a star studded Rams D. He will do well in LA. We'll see if LA makes Talib lose his mind and make some more off-field mistakes. Hopefully not but Jones is not more of a cancer risk than Talib. All I want to see is if he walks the line and stays healthy. If he does that, all good. If he screws up off the field, it is no worse than an injury. Talib's negative BS is the definition of cancer. though His talent was worth it but when it comes time to cough up 11 million to a guy that was at the heart of what went wrong, when things went wrong last year, it's a good thing that the Rams now have Talib. He will be a beast when all goes well and will be a great mentor for Marcus Peters but if the balance between superior potential/ talent and disaster is lost in LA, Talib will be the first guy to start whining and bitching.

He did say that there are no more dogs in Denver after all. There's quite a few top dogs in Denver after all.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-26-2018, 10:14 PM
30 yards per punt return. Lol

dogfish
08-26-2018, 10:16 PM

devin hester, eat your heart out. . . :laugh:

Ground Control
08-26-2018, 10:18 PM

11 million reasons why 2 chains couldn't stay in Denver. Plus, the whole locker room cancer thing.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-26-2018, 10:18 PM
devin hester, eat your heart out. . . :laugh:

That’s some low hanging fruit. :laugh:

Ground Control
08-26-2018, 10:26 PM
Can he be the 3rd CB? I used to dislike the guy but havn't paid any attention to him for a few years. Is he still any good?

We'll see. I'm clueless also but his stas seem decent when he isn't injured or being a dumbass. I'm glad we now have another option for 3rd CB. Yiadom need more time. Between Brock and Jones, we might have a stop gap. Here's to hoping he find inspiration in the No Fly Zone.

Poet
08-26-2018, 11:20 PM
He can probably still play fairly decently. For (almost) entirety of his Cincinnati tenure, he was in the high echelons for coverage rankings on most lists. He wasn't all speed, either. He has, or maybe had, some technique. He definitely hits, and he is a smart football player. I do recall him being ranked in the top ten for PFF twice as a coverage guy.

As a return man, he's not going to cough up the ball, and he used to rate highly in regards to averages on returns. I don't recall him ever returning anything all the way to the house, though.

If he still has some of that, it's a great signing. In regards to his baggage, he's almost certainly a poor human being. He's not a leader, either. He was once a hall of fame talent that almost threw it all away and then rebounded. The irony is that had he played in Tennessee like he did in Cincinnati, and didn't gain some rust because of suspensions we'd look at his career entirely differently.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-26-2018, 11:22 PM
He was a physical freak in Tennessee.

Poet
08-26-2018, 11:23 PM
he's capable, but he's also a supreme knucklehead, who brings loser bengal culture with him. . . remember that playoff game in '15, when cincy melted down against pittsburgh, and gave the game back? IIRC, idiot jones was responsible for one of those back-breaking penalties down the stretch. . . he also assaulted a member of airport personnel recently. . . at best, he's a solid veteran slot corner-- at worst, he's a washed-up flavor clown. . . i would have taken a shot on webster, DRC, or breeland. . . JMO. . .

To be fair to the jackass, Porter came onto the field as a coach and wasn't flagged for it, as he should be. In that same game you had multiple cheap shots on both teams, and Porter threatened to punch Jones/Burfict, I don't recall which.

On the flip side, Domato Peko also brought loser Bungles culture with him, and he was a bright spot for the team last year. I suspect that Jones will fill the role nicely, and if not he's definitely expendable.

Poet
08-26-2018, 11:24 PM
He was a physical freak in Tennessee.

He sucked in Dallas, and then became a good player under Zimmer. Which, isn't that hard to do, all things considered.

broncofaninfla
08-27-2018, 10:28 AM
Jones signed cheap, is better than the young guys who have been getting torched all camp/preseason and he returns punts. He also brings a nasty attitude with him which hopefully doesn't bite the team in the *ss. I like the signing. Hoping they add another vet ILB and NT as well.

Tned
08-27-2018, 12:19 PM
FWIW, from PFF regarding his time in Cincy and last year, and he was pretty good apparently in terms of coverage.

Jones signed with the Bengals prior to the 2010 season and he has been one of the most consistent cornerbacks in the game ever since. Since 2010, he has cumulatively allowed a passer rating of just 78.5 and an average of 0.95 yards per coverage snap, which ranks 22ns and eighth among 137 cornerbacks with 1000-plus coverage snaps in that span, respectively.
This season, Jones has been his same, effective self in coverage. Through 13 weeks, he’s allowed just 15 receptions from 30 targets and has tallied one interception and four pass breakups, surrendering a passer rating of just 60.7 and an average of 0.81 yards per cover snap, which ranks 10th and 13th among 117 qualifying players at the position, respectively.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-the-bengals-place-cb-adam-jones-on-injured-reserve

tomjonesrocks
08-27-2018, 12:54 PM
Jones signed cheap, is better than the young guys who have been getting torched all camp/preseason and he returns punts. He also brings a nasty attitude with him which hopefully doesn't bite the team in the *ss. I like the signing. Hoping they add another vet ILB and NT as well.

Cheap being the operative word. Nearly zero risk for that money.

ChubbNYiadom
08-27-2018, 03:07 PM
If he can still play. This reminds me of Champ Bailey trying and failing to make the Saints roster in 2014 after he was released by the Broncos.

But, realistically, he could just be another guy they bring in like Jamaal Charles last year who theoretically could be good if they had anything left, but don't end up contributing much at all.

Not really, champ mentally still believed he was a starter and that was his issue, if champ was willing to cover number 4s and some 3s hed have played a couple more year's.

ChubbNYiadom
08-27-2018, 03:10 PM

Reach for the stars man, with McKenzie on Madden I average 43 per.

sneakers
08-27-2018, 05:18 PM
y tho?

GEM
08-27-2018, 05:27 PM

Klis said this morning, Denver was concerned over Webster's achilles injury and the health of that.

GEM
08-27-2018, 05:28 PM

Talib was not a locker room cancer. The locker room loved that man. He was a shit coach's cancer cause he don't like sucking.

WARHORSE
08-27-2018, 07:14 PM
In the meantime, Dymonte Thomas played like a stud against the Skins. Reminded me of Harris rookie season.

Davii
08-27-2018, 07:58 PM
In the meantime, Dymonte Thomas played like a stud against the Skins. Reminded me of Harris rookie season.

He looked great, I was impressed.

ChubbNYiadom
08-27-2018, 08:08 PM

Is he a corner or a safety or a hybrid?

ChubbNYiadom
08-27-2018, 08:24 PM
y tho?

It's classified, A real gamer never reveals his skills and techniques.

WARHORSE
08-27-2018, 08:53 PM
Is he a corner or a safety or a hybrid?

Playmaker.

nevcraw
08-27-2018, 10:12 PM
not That I have Followed the dude much but anytime I saw Pac-Man play in a game over the last few years I saw him get torched. Hope that was just a Scheme thingybut bet He wil be targeted a lot especially on go plays.

ChubbNYiadom
08-28-2018, 02:59 PM
Let us hope that the rush doesn't allow for too many go route.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-28-2018, 04:27 PM
ENGLEWOOD – If Adam Jones wants to wear No. 24, Champ Bailey has no problem.

Bailey got a call Monday from Broncos equipment manager Chris “Flip” Valenti, who wanted to get the former great cornerback's thoughts on his former No. 24 after the team recently signed Adam Jones.

Jones wore No. 24 the past eight seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals. He has been wearing No. 20 in his first two days of practice with the Broncos.

“I told ‘Flip’ I was all for it just because I respect Pacman’s story,’’ Bailey said in a phone interview Tuesday with 9NEWS. “Being that (Jones) is a Georgia guy, I’ve always been a fan of his. Being 35 years old with all the (stuff) he’s been through – it’s respectable the career he’s had.’’

rest - https://www.9news.com/article/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/champ-bailey-says-ok-by-him-if-adam-jones-wants-no-24/73-588411360

MOtorboat
08-28-2018, 04:32 PM
Make it rain!

:balloons:

HORSEPOWER 56
08-28-2018, 04:34 PM
Was Champ’s number retired? If so, I had no idea. If not, why call him and ask permission? I doubt they asked Steve A about scrub Langley wearing his #. Multiple scrubs have worn TD’s #30 and Rod Smith’s #80. I don’t see the point of this article or talking to Champ at all. This isn’t like when we un-retired Frank Tripucka’s 18 for PFM. 24 isn’t a retired number. :confused:

BeefStew25
08-28-2018, 07:34 PM
They should allow three digits.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-28-2018, 07:50 PM
Was Champ’s number retired? If so, I had no idea. If not, why call him and ask permission? I doubt they asked Steve A about scrub Langley wearing his #. Multiple scrubs have worn TD’s #30 and Rod Smith’s #80. I don’t see the point of this article or talking to Champ at all. This isn’t like when we un-retired Frank Tripucka’s 18 for PFM. 24 isn’t a retired number. :confused:

Riley Dixon wore #24 last year. Who knows, maybe they ask Jones if he wanted to wear 24, as that was his no in Cincinnati, and maybe he ask, or it was stated to him that Champ wore that no. when he was here, and Jones said to ask Champ if it was ok if he wore it.

tomjonesrocks
08-28-2018, 08:08 PM
Why are we so stingy retiring numbers? 24 and 30 (should have been retired promptly after Bruton) should not be available.

Hate it.

BroncoWave
08-28-2018, 09:22 PM
Only so many numbers to go around. With a 53 man roster you can't retire all that many.

BroncoWave
08-28-2018, 09:29 PM
Having said that, TD's number probably should be retired. As for Champ, I mean, I love the guy. He was my namesake here for years, but he wasn't a career bronco and we really didn't win squat when he played here. I realize neither of those are his fault, but I still think I'd put him just short of the retired number level.

Freyaka
08-29-2018, 09:16 AM
He's a terrible human being from all accounts, but he's cheap and he says he wants to be a better person so I guess, I'll give him a chance for now.

If we were paying him more, I'd be annoyed, but he comes cheap so, worst case scenario he's an idiot still and we cut him for being an idiot.

BroncoJoe
08-29-2018, 09:20 AM
He's a terrible human being from all accounts, but he's cheap and he says he wants to be a better person so I guess, I'll give him a chance for now.

If we were paying him more, I'd be annoyed, but he comes cheap so, worst case scenario he's an idiot still and we cut him for being an idiot.

Why would you care if they (not we) were paying him more?

Freyaka
08-29-2018, 09:38 AM
Why would you care if they (not we) were paying him more?

Because we don't have a lot of cap space and it would be a bigger risk with not enough reward to justify it, but for vet minimum, both the cap hit and the risk are no big deal.

We're going to have something like $5M left once paxton inevitably gets cut for being a waste of roster space.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-29-2018, 11:26 AM
I’d like to meet Pacman and hear his story.

Shazam!
08-29-2018, 11:45 AM
He's a terrible human being from all accounts...

Wow. Really?

Freyaka
08-29-2018, 12:16 PM
Wow. Really?

Well, if not a terrible human being, he's pretty far from a saint.

https://www.westword.com/news/new-bronco-pacman-joness-top-13-legal-issues-hope-you-die-tomorrow-10714810

He pretty much has at least one incident a year sometimes more. Some of the notable ones

October 2003

Jones was given a one-year jail jolt for beating a man in a bar with a pool cue while still a student at West Virginia University. Lucky for him, the sentence was suspended in favor of two years' worth of probation.

July 2005

Two weeks before he was slated to start training camp with the Tennessee Titans, the outfit that drafted him, Jones was arrested and accused of assault and felony vandalism over a dust-up in a nightclub during which he allegedly punched the venue's owner and broke his necklace, valued at $400,000. The charges were ultimately dismissed.

February 2007

What the West Virginia Metro News refers to as "the infamous $81,000 make-it-rain incident" involved a Las Vegas strip club, a shooting that paralyzed a security guard and an exotic dancer whose head Jones reportedly beat against the stage. Jones was suspended from the NFL for an entire season, and a civil judgment against him resulted in an order to pay injured individuals from the club more than $11 million cumulativel

January 2008

This time, the strip club was in Atlanta, where Jones allegedly punched a woman in the face.

October 2008

The Dallas Cowboys, who had picked Jones off the scrap heap, assigned bodyguards to watch him, presumably in an effort to keep him out of trouble. It didn't work: Jones got into a fight with his protectors, earning himself another year-long NFL suspension.

January 2017

Back in Cincinnati, Jones was arrested for assault, disorderly conduct, obstructing official business and the disgusting-sounding offense of harassment with a bodily substance.

The guy is a mess...Talib shot himself in the butt, this guy shot and paralyzed someone else, and smashed an exotic dancers head on the stage. He's a real piece of work. So ya, he's not a really a great stand up, high character kind of signing. It's good that he's on vet minimum because by mid-season he'll be suspended again for beating someone up.

Shazam!
08-29-2018, 12:39 PM
He may be a piece of shit and done some stupid things... but a terrible human being? idkci reserve that for child molesters, animal abusers, rapists, serial killers...

Freyaka
08-29-2018, 01:31 PM
He may be a piece of shit and done some stupid things... but a terrible human being? idkci reserve that for child molesters, animal abusers, rapists, serial killers...

Bashing a woman's face into a stage repeatedly? Paralizing a guy? How does abusing people rank lower than animal abuse? Regardless, those aren't stupid things, that's ruining people's lives man. I'm not a big fan of him as a person and I don't think anything he does with us will ever change that. I'm willing to separate the personal side from the football side and hope for the success of Pacman the football player, but he's always going to be a crappy person in my eyes just off those two things alone.

MOtorboat
08-29-2018, 01:36 PM
Do you ‘spose there’s midget scrippers at Jones’ scrip clubs?

TXBRONC
08-29-2018, 01:52 PM
Do you ‘spose there’s midget scrippers at Jones’ scrip clubs?

Are you looking for another job?

MOtorboat
08-29-2018, 01:55 PM
Are you looking another job?

No.

Freyaka
08-29-2018, 01:56 PM
Are you looking another job?

Maybe he's looking for a wife his size?

TXBRONC
08-29-2018, 02:00 PM
Champ was not drafted by the Broncos but he spent the vast majority of his career in Denver. He's a Bronco. Saying he's not is like saying Willie Brown wasn't really a Raider because he spent four years in Denver and twelve in Oakland.

TXBRONC
08-29-2018, 02:01 PM

That could be, but it seemed more logical that he's looking for work to supplement his income.

TXBRONC
08-29-2018, 02:04 PM
No.

Well he denied he was looking for extra work, so guess your musing merit more consideration.

VonDoom
08-29-2018, 03:29 PM
Sounds like Pacman will wear #24 - I don’t like that

https://twitter.com/sayrebedinger/status/1034893545751146496?s=21

HORSEPOWER 56
08-29-2018, 03:41 PM
Sounds like Pacman will wear #24 - I don’t like that

https://twitter.com/sayrebedinger/status/1034893545751146496?s=21

At least Jones is a starting caliber player who should make the roster and contribute. It hurts me more to watch scrubs like Jordan Moore (who?) wearing HOFer TD’s #30 like it’s a number of zero significance. Love me some Champ, but if TD’s, Shannon Sharpe’s, Steve Atwater’s, and Rod Smith’s numbers are still fair game, Champ’s is too.

BroncoWave
08-29-2018, 03:45 PM
Champ was not drafted by the Broncos but he spent the vast majority of his career in Denver. He's a Bronco. Saying he's not is like saying Willie Brown wasn't really a Raider because he spent four years in Denver and twelve in Oakland.

Like I said, I love Champ, I really do. I just think there needs to be a REALLY high standard to retire a number, since there are so few to go around on a 53 man roster. I just don't think Champ quite reaches that level.

Tangerine
08-29-2018, 03:45 PM

30 yards??? Even Devin Hester's best season of his career he averaged 17.1 yards a return....

VonDoom
08-29-2018, 03:51 PM
Like I said, I love Champ, I really do. I just think there needs to be a REALLY high standard to retire a number, since there are so few to go around on a 53 man roster. I just don't think Champ quite reaches that level.

I just find it odd that no one has had it since Champ, and now we’re giving it to a guy we signed at the eleventh hour who probably won’t be here beyond this year.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-29-2018, 04:19 PM
I just find it odd that no one has had it since Champ, and now we’re giving it to a guy we signed at the eleventh hour who probably won’t be here beyond this year.

Peyton Manning set the precedent when it comes to borrowing retired jersey’s when he donned Frank Tripucka’s #18 for the first time in decades. Champ Bailey’s number 24 is not officially retired, but it should be.

So when Adam Jones was signed last week, it was reported that he wouldn’t be getting a crack at Bailey’s old number 24. And for good reason. Champ Bailey is likely entering the Pro Football Hall of Fame next year in his first year of eligibility after spending most of his career in Denver as his generations greatest lockdown cornerback.

However, Mike Klis of 9News was able to check in with Bailey and see if he would allow Jones to wear his number this season.

“I told ‘Flip’ I was all for it just because I respect Pacman’s story,’’ Bailey said in a phone interview Tuesday with 9NEWS. “Being that (Jones) is a Georgia guy, I’ve always been a fan of his. Being 35 years old with all the (stuff) he’s been through – it’s respectable the career he’s had.’’

If you think Bailey would just be okay with just anyone wearing his old number, think again. He revealed to Klis that he had worried some unproven rookie would come in and scoop it up.

rest - https://www.milehighreport.com/2018/8/29/17794776/champ-bailey-adam-jones-number-24

ChubbNYiadom
08-29-2018, 06:25 PM
30 yards??? Even Devin Hester's best season of his career he averaged 17.1 yards a return....

Gotta be better than Devin Hester then right.

Cugel
08-29-2018, 08:41 PM

You're very likely to get your wish. McKenzie is not usable as a WR and it's a waste of a roster space to just have a PR who does nothing else unless he's someone like Deven Hester. Since they added Pacman there's just no room for McKenzie.

Jones was a great punt returner.

And here he is picking off Tom Brady (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_OHDBZurqo).

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-29-2018, 09:16 PM
You're very likely to get your wish. McKenzie is not usable as a WR and it's a waste of a roster space to just have a PR who does nothing else unless he's someone like Deven Hester. Since they added Pacman there's just no room for McKenzie.

Jones was a great punt returner.

And here he is picking off Tom Brady (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_OHDBZurqo).

He can thank Tom Brady for that duck. 😂

BroncoWave
09-01-2018, 03:50 PM

Nice take.

Cugel
09-01-2018, 10:04 PM
He can thank Tom Brady for that duck. ��

I just always love video of Tom Brady getting intercepted! I'd just like to see a lot more of it this season.

Ground Control
09-02-2018, 01:31 AM
rest - https://www.milehighreport.com/2018/8/29/17794776/champ-bailey-adam-jones-number-24

Yep. If Champ is cool with it, we all should be. It's only one year and Jones is proven. He hasn't fallen off in relation to his age, so much. He got cut because of his salary in relation to his age. We now have him at a steal. He isn't Bailey but Bailey is his inspiration and that's pretty cool. Retiring the number can wait one year. Hopefully, his wearing 24 is motivation, along with his relationship with VJ as mentor and older brother...and him wanting to finally win a playoff game with a competent team.

Champ probably sees this possibility in his decision, IMO. It's all about the team, yo.

Ground Control
09-02-2018, 01:51 AM
Having said that, TD's number probably should be retired. As for Champ, I mean, I love the guy. He was my namesake here for years, but he wasn't a career bronco and we really didn't win squat when he played here. I realize neither of those are his fault, but I still think I'd put him just short of the retired number level.

12 time pro bowl. The most of any cornerback. Ever.

Definite HOF career.

I agree that numbers are hard to find and there are only 3 retired Broncos numbers (I think), but after TD, Champ is certainly eligible.

Ground Control
09-02-2018, 02:38 AM
On further thought (and reading), I regret this signing. The Broncos can find someone else that is better. Most of what he has done can be excused as extreme bad decisions. The shooting is pure hearsay but still being even seen with a killer is a horrible decision. Either way, the Broncos claim to be a moral organization but I read an piece that said they have the worst record in hiring arrested players. Maybe I'm less of a fan because I hope the team takes the high road. I am certainly removed from the win at all costs mentality and enjoy the hell out of every well played football game. At the very least, the Broncos leadership should shut the f up about being moral when they are not. I'd be OK with that.

Maybe last year's incident was the last but we can do better. Since better isn't an option, hopefully Jones finally finds his peace with the Broncos.

BroncoWave
12-02-2018, 02:18 PM
Hope he's been keeping in shape. I'd imagine he'll be getting a call this week.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-02-2018, 02:23 PM
#shamelessbump

:laugh:

VonDoom
12-02-2018, 02:40 PM

Was thinking the same thing

DenBronx
12-02-2018, 10:57 PM

Yeah that’s probably what will happen. He already knows the playbook so why not.

Losing Harris is gonna suck.

Magnificent Seven
12-03-2018, 01:41 AM
Bring him back! Good thing that he didn't burn the bridge with the Broncos.

DenBronx
12-04-2018, 05:21 AM
Yep he left like a professional, this is why you don’t burn bridges

BroncoWave
12-04-2018, 06:49 AM
I was reading that since CHJ isn't going on IR we're not going to sign anyone. Guess we have to make do for now.

VonDoom
12-04-2018, 07:21 AM
I was reading that since CHJ isn't going on IR we're not going to sign anyone. Guess we have to make do for now.

VJ did say that, but Rapoport reported otherwise (posted in another thread):

Ian Rapoport
‏Verified account @RapSheet
14h14 hours ago

Former #AZCardinals starting CB Jamar Taylor, now a free agent, is flying to Denver to visit with the #Broncos, source said. He could sign if all goes well.

Tned
12-04-2018, 07:27 AM

That's tight, especially with Brock hurt. I think they were down to Robey, Yiadom, and Langley in that game, if Brock comes back, that's four with nobody but a rookie on the practice squad. I guess a lot might depend on whether Brock is ready to come back.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-04-2018, 08:09 AM
If Taylor is healthy he’d be decent depth.

Cugel
12-04-2018, 09:22 AM
That's tight, especially with Brock hurt. I think they were down to Robey, Yiadom, and Langley in that game, if Brock comes back, that's four with nobody but a rookie on the practice squad. I guess a lot might depend on whether Brock is ready to come back.

Supposedly Brock will be back this week so he'll start with Roby and Yiadom as the nickel, since I don't think they really want to use Darien Stewart as nickel CB again this week. And they sure as Hell don't want to start using Brendan Langley, who is really a total bust at this point. They don't want him on the field, and he didn't dress until last week. He's more of an emergency player who will be cut at season's end.