PDA

View Full Version : So.. are people off the Keenum bandwagon?

Northman
08-22-2018, 09:57 AM
I admit, i like Kelly's style of play much more than Keenums. However, just a few weeks even months back there was a lot of people saying the same kind of praises of Case and hoping he would be the answer for Denver at QB (i have my doubts) but within the last couple of weeks it seems more people would rather have Kelly be the starter. Are people losing faith in Keenum already? Here is the other thing, if Keenum goes out and plays really well does that make Kelly expendable? We have to remember that Case is still a young QB as well so if he goes out and plays well and wins ballgames are people still going to think that Chad is the future?

BroncoJoe
08-22-2018, 09:58 AM
Can I let you know after Friday night?

Northman
08-22-2018, 10:00 AM
Can I let you know after Friday night?

Sure, but werent you one of Keenum's biggest fans just a few weeks ago? Lol

Freyaka
08-22-2018, 10:03 AM
I don't think "off the bandwagon" is fair. I'm on the bandwagon of our starting QB, that said, his first performance was underwhelming, his second while greatly improved was shaky at times. I want to see more out of him this week, but I still have faith in him.

Northman
08-22-2018, 10:06 AM
I don't think "off the bandwagon" is fair. I'm on the bandwagon of our starting QB, that said, his first performance was underwhelming, his second while greatly improved was shaky at times. I want to see more out of him this week, but I still have faith in him.

I think its fair because all i have really seen or read about lately is Kelly. If you go and read through threads right now NO ONE is talking about Keenum and whether he is the future of this team which i find baffling based on preseason. While i am leaving out my own bias regarding Keenum im just very surprised at the shift of the members mentality of the QB's right now.

Shazam!
08-22-2018, 10:09 AM
I want Keenum to play well this year and Denver to win. He gives them the best chance this season... BUT If Kelly is the *real* deal he is the future of the the franchise at under 25 years old. Keenum could be dealt and would be a commodity to many teams.

BroncoJoe
08-22-2018, 10:11 AM
Sure, but werent you one of Keenum's biggest fans just a few weeks ago? Lol

Not sure about being one of his biggest fans, but I am excited to have a competent QB. I still think Keenum is the guy, and am simultaneously very excited about Kelly.

Northman
08-22-2018, 10:14 AM
I want Keenum to play well this year and Denver to win. He gives them the best chance this season... BUT If Kelly is the *real* deal he is the future of the the franchise at under 25 years old. Keenum could be dealt and would be a commodity to many teams.

Ok, but the outlier is what if Keenum is the real deal? Are you ok with trading Kelly at that point?

NightTrainLayne
08-22-2018, 10:38 AM
I've never been on the Keenum bandwagon.

Never been anti-Keenum either. He's an improvement to that roster spot, so great.

But I'm going to have to see a lot more to hop on any bandwagon. I hope to hop on at some point. :)

Canmore
08-22-2018, 10:46 AM
Ok, but the outlier is what if Keenum is the real deal? Are you ok with trading Kelly at that point?

Why trade Kelly? He literally costs nothing.

Shazam!
08-22-2018, 10:54 AM

I would never even consider dealing Kelly. He's on a favorable contract (which will be restructured should he start in the next two years). I believe he is the future.

Tned
08-22-2018, 11:02 AM
I admit, i like Kelly's style of play much more than Keenums. However, just a few weeks even months back there was a lot of people saying the same kind of praises of Case and hoping he would be the answer for Denver at QB (i have my doubts) but within the last couple of weeks it seems more people would rather have Kelly be the starter. Are people losing faith in Keenum already? Here is the other thing, if Keenum goes out and plays really well does that make Kelly expendable? We have to remember that Case is still a young QB as well so if he goes out and plays well and wins ballgames are people still going to think that Chad is the future?

If Kelly doesn't bomb the next two weeks, I'm sure Denver is going to be dealing with a QB controversy, especially if the offense struggles in the regular season or the Broncos go on a losing streak, but right now, as excited as I am about Kelly (and have been since the draft -- as one of the early #kelly2018 guys), he's only played two games of football in the last 600+ days, and they were preseason.

So, in terms of winning now, if the defense is solid, then Case is still the steady guy and if he has a year like last year, which was very good, then the Broncos are in good shape.

As to the future, there is a chance Keenum can be a Gannon type player that after years of not showing much, blooms. It's very possible, or he had one good year and he's going to regress to a much lower level. Only time and games are going to tell that.

In terms of who I would like to be under center for the next 10 years, Kelly no doubt. Look at what he did at Ole Miss. He's a really good QB, who was Mr. Irrelevant not because of questionable skills, but instead injuries and questionable character issues. Without those character concerns, even with the injuries, he's at worst a 2-4 round guy, and without the injury or character issues, he's almost certainly a first round QB.

By all indication, the immaturity is behind him, and the injuries are/were not long term concerns, so while he may never become a franchise type QB, I think his ceiling is MUCH higher than Keenum's, but Keenum is the better QB for week 1.

Freyaka
08-22-2018, 11:03 AM
I think its fair because all i have really seen or read about lately is Kelly. If you go and read through threads right now NO ONE is talking about Keenum and whether he is the future of this team which i find baffling based on preseason. While i am leaving out my own bias regarding Keenum im just very surprised at the shift of the members mentality of the QB's right now.

I mean it's really not baffling at all. Keenum is a question mark. I have high hopes for him, but he's a question mark. He's either a one year wonder, a bridgegap or a potential long term starter. If he falls into category 1 or 2, we need a QB long term, Kelly playing well brings about that conversation. Until we know in regular season what we have in Keenum, it's not shocking at all that the talk is going to shift to what we have in Kelly and if he can be the potential starter should Keenum not live up to what he did last year.

Freyaka
08-22-2018, 11:06 AM

Why would you? Kelly is on a TINY, TINY contract...Why would you get rid of a quality backup in Kelly who you pay next to nothing for?

If Kelly balls out and Keenum is the real deal, IMO it's a win-win situation. The only time you would entertain trading Kelly is in his final year of his contract if it is apparent that you want to keep Keenum.

IMO, if Keenum ends up a long term answer and Kelly is a long term answer, Keenum's the more likely to be dealt.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-22-2018, 11:09 AM
I never really had a ton of faith in Keenum. We’ll really get a look week 1. I hesitate to criticize him too harshly in the preseason because most teams don’t gameplan for their opponent. The second we chose Chubb over Rosen I knew our fate was sealed this year at QB. I’m willing to ride it out. I’d really like to see him succeed but I have doubts - none of which are based on the rest of the offense.

NightTrainLayne
08-22-2018, 11:18 AM

Well if someone wanted to give us a "Herschel Walker" type deal, I'd be for it. :)

Northman
08-22-2018, 11:25 AM

Im looking ahead, not talking about right now. If both Kelly and Keenum are the real deal than one becomes a valuable commodity of some sort. The problem that we will have (if Keenum works out) is that Kelly will not want to be a backup and will want out so if that happens than i would think that Denver would like to get something out of the deal no?

BeefStew25
08-22-2018, 11:26 AM
Keenum will be just fine. I hope the OL doesn’t get him killed.

Northman
Why would you? Kelly is on a TINY, TINY contract...Why would you get rid of a quality backup in Kelly who you pay next to nothing for?

If Kelly balls out and Keenum is the real deal, IMO it's a win-win situation. The only time you would entertain trading Kelly is in his final year of his contract if it is apparent that you want to keep Keenum.

IMO, if Keenum ends up a long term answer and Kelly is a long term answer, Keenum's the more likely to be dealt.

See my last post, im talking about in the next couple of years.

wayninja
I have never believed in Keenum, and was disheartened to hear we signed him. I firmly believe that that last year was not typical of what his career will be, and I don't think he's a long term answer in Denver.

I certainly hope I'm wrong, but I find Kelly a much more "watchable" QB, for better or worse.

BeefStew25
08-22-2018, 11:28 AM
I have never believed in Keenum, and was disheartened to hear we signed him. I firmly believe that that last year was not typical of what his career will be, and I don't think he's a long term answer in Denver.

I certainly hope I'm wrong, but I find Kelly a much more "watchable" QB, for better or worse.

So we were never going to get cousins. So what were our other options?

NightTerror218
08-22-2018, 11:39 AM
Funny how a backup QB battle is spilling into starter QB talk battle. Keenum is starter, no question. Kelly will not get a shit this year unless Keenum goes down. Seems Bronco fanss just love QB controversies. Keenum is huge upgrade over what we have had. But his success falls on the OL as much as his ability. We have above average WR, below average OL and below average RB (unknown at the moment), below average TE. Hard to expect a lot from the offense.

wayninja
08-22-2018, 11:40 AM
So we were never going to get cousins. So what were our other options?

That's like asking "Well, we dug ourselves into this huge gaping hole, now what?"

I guess... not dig yourself into a huge gaping hole?

BeefStew25
08-22-2018, 11:46 AM
That's like asking "Well, we dug ourselves into this huge gaping hole, now what?"

Well duh. But this offseason. We needed an established QB. Who else then.

wayninja
08-22-2018, 11:51 AM
Well duh. But this offseason. We needed an established QB. Who else then.

Lol, if it's "well duh", then why ask? I didn't put this team into a shitty situation, so I don't really have the answer. I can tell you that I'd rather roll with our shitty QB's and Talib than sign Keenum and lose him.

There's plenty of teams rolling into this season without "established" QB's. We could have drafted one of those I suppose.

But just because you're left with the ugly chick at the dance, it doesn't make her any prettier.

Freyaka
08-22-2018, 11:52 AM
Keenum will be just fine. I hope the OL doesn’t get him killed.

So far the o-line looks vastly improved (even the o-line depth) I feel a lot more comfortable with them this year than I did last year.

Freyaka
08-22-2018, 11:53 AM

Even if we're talking a few years down the line, I'd think if all things are equal, Keenum is the one traded due to Kelly's youth.

Freyaka
08-22-2018, 11:54 AM
Funny how a backup QB battle is spilling into starter QB talk battle. Keenum is starter, no question. Kelly will not get a shit this year unless Keenum goes down. Seems Bronco fanss just love QB controversies. Keenum is huge upgrade over what we have had. But his success falls on the OL as much as his ability. We have above average WR, below average OL and below average RB (unknown at the moment), below average TE. Hard to expect a lot from the offense.

Very few aside from shane are creating a QB controversy. Keenum is the starter. The only way that changes is if he plays like garbage or gets hurt.

wayninja
08-22-2018, 11:56 AM
I'm a proud "very few". Kelly for president.

Shazam!
08-22-2018, 11:56 AM

Even if we're talking a few years down the line, I'd think if all things are equal, Keenum is the one traded due to Kelly's youth.

My thinking exactly. Keenum is THIS year. 2018. Beyond that with another strike stoppage looming in 2020? Who knows what next year will look like.

If they were to shop a QB next year it should be Keenum. Denver is in excellent shape right now with QB salaries.

turftoad
08-22-2018, 12:05 PM

I live in Viking country so I saw every Vikes game last year,
I like what I saw in Case. He's got good pocket presence and can duck under pressure. He's got pretty good es-capability. He has progressed every year since he's been in the league.
I'm not saying he's a top 5 QB but I think he will be in the top half.
Having Kelly progress is awesome and probably the future but now its Cases team.

wayninja
08-22-2018, 12:09 PM
I live in Viking country so I saw every Vikes game last year,
I like what I saw in Case. He's got good pocket presence and can duck under pressure. He's got pretty good es-capability. He has progressed every year since he's been in the league.
I'm not saying he's a top 5 QB but I think he will be in the top half.
Having Kelly progress is awesome and probably the future but now its Cases team.

I hope you are right. I hope my instinct is wrong. But my instinct is what my instinct is. It cannot be ignored!

BroncoJoe
08-22-2018, 01:06 PM
I hope you are right. I hope my instinct is wrong. But my instinct is what my instinct is. It cannot be ignored!

By your own admission, it's 99% of the time WRONG!!!!!

underrated29
08-22-2018, 01:13 PM

Youre not alone. Most women are attracted to men too.

Seriously though, this is case team for now. Maybe next year CHad will give him a run for the starting job. I like Chad, always have, we all know this. But I am not sure he is going to be able to produce like Case will this year. Experience plays a big role.

BeefStew25
08-22-2018, 01:14 PM
Lol, if it's "well duh", then why ask? I didn't put this team into a shitty situation, so I don't really have the answer. I can tell you that I'd rather roll with our shitty QB's and Talib than sign Keenum and lose him.

There's plenty of teams rolling into this season without "established" QB's. We could have drafted one of those I suppose.

But just because you're left with the ugly chick at the dance, it doesn't make her any prettier.

I’m personally blaming you.

broncofaninfla
08-22-2018, 01:27 PM
I'm more excited by Kelly because I see more upside with him. Haven't seen much from Case but I'm team Case until/unless he flops.

BeefStew25
08-22-2018, 01:29 PM
We wouldn’t be bronco fans if we didn’t have a boner for a backup QB.

Valar Morghulis
08-22-2018, 01:40 PM
Kelly will have several billboards up by Thanksgiving

Freyaka
08-22-2018, 02:09 PM
We wouldn’t be bronco fans if we didn’t have a boner for a backup QB.

No, it's the third stringer Broncos fans clamor for. And at this point no one likes him either...

wayninja
08-22-2018, 02:45 PM
I’m personally blaming you.

It won't be the last time.

I'm setting up a gofundme page as we speak.

By your own admission, it's 99% of the time WRONG!!!!!

Yes, but I always defy it on that 1%.

ShaneFalco
08-22-2018, 03:06 PM
Very few aside from shane are creating a QB controversy. Keenum is the starter. The only way that changes is if he plays like garbage or gets hurt.

http://www.realclearlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/trex.gif

Tangerine
08-22-2018, 04:20 PM
It's really no mystery, the simple truth is that Keenum hasn't done anything yet to get the fanbase excited. Yes, he's had his moments during camp, but has been mediocre in the 2 games.

On the opposite side, Kelly has made throws we haven't seen from a QB in years, quite frankly Kelly has been considerably better. Maybe that's not a fair assessment as Keenum has barely played, but it's all we have to go on at the moment. A good game by Keenum on Friday and his hype will grow, a bad showing while Kelly plays good again and the rumblings of a QB controversy will continue to grow.

Keenum isn't Manning, his mere presence isn't going to instantly squash any debate about the QB position. He has to prove in actual games that last year wasn't a fluke, and he can be a quality starter. We are all aware of QBs like Rich Gannon or Drew Brees who took awhile to get going, but for every Brees there's a bunch of backups who looked good filling in only to fall apart when they get a permanent starter position and a big contract. Until Keenum can prove he's more like Rich Gannon and less like Brock Osweiler, the fans will continue to watch the backup QB (Kelly) with intrigue.

Hawgdriver
08-22-2018, 04:43 PM
Mike Hawk is a straight shooter.

wayninja
08-22-2018, 04:50 PM
Mike Hawk doglegs to the left. On his football takes.

BeefStew25
08-22-2018, 05:28 PM
Kelly also isn’t playing against the 1’s. I’m impressed but let’s not Sloter the guy quite yet.

Ziggy
08-22-2018, 06:21 PM
Kelly may be the future, but Keenum is the right guy for right now. There will more than likely be a new coach coming in next season, so it may be a real competition then.

Hawgdriver
08-22-2018, 06:34 PM
Let's put it this way. I have more hope of Kelly being a great NFL QB than I do Keenum. I have more confidence in Keenum being a great QB this season than Kelly. I want to see Keenum in NFL MVP discussions this year, but have him pushed by Kelly. Go Broncos.

Northman
08-22-2018, 06:49 PM
Mike Hawk is a straight shooter.

I actually dont disagree with his take and look at it the same way. But like i said a couple of months ago the fervor was all about Keenum as well so i was just curious what the mentality was at the moment. All in all this is only the preseason and Kelly has yet to play against/with the 1's so like most backup QB's you have to have some hesitation. Do i think Kelly can do well with the 1's? Yep. But for now its still the backups he is playing against so (as pointed out) until Keenum shows he cant get it done when it matters he is the guy that should be out there.

aberdien
08-22-2018, 07:18 PM
Case will be ruined this year while we fire our head coach midseason. Save Kelly for next year.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-22-2018, 08:54 PM
Do you think his fans will put some up too?

Nomad
08-22-2018, 09:06 PM
We'll just have to see what the regular season brings. For the Broncos sake, I hope Keenum kicks ass. I'm not on his or Kelly's bandwagon.

Freyaka
08-23-2018, 07:45 AM
It's really no mystery, the simple truth is that Keenum hasn't done anything yet to get the fanbase excited. Yes, he's had his moments during camp, but has been mediocre in the 2 games.

On the opposite side, Kelly has made throws we haven't seen from a QB in years, quite frankly Kelly has been considerably better. Maybe that's not a fair assessment as Keenum has barely played, but it's all we have to go on at the moment. A good game by Keenum on Friday and his hype will grow, a bad showing while Kelly plays good again and the rumblings of a QB controversy will continue to grow.

Keenum isn't Manning, his mere presence isn't going to instantly squash any debate about the QB position. He has to prove in actual games that last year wasn't a fluke, and he can be a quality starter. We are all aware of QBs like Rich Gannon or Drew Brees who took awhile to get going, but for every Brees there's a bunch of backups who looked good filling in only to fall apart when they get a permanent starter position and a big contract. Until Keenum can prove he's more like Rich Gannon and less like Brock Osweiler, the fans will continue to watch the backup QB (Kelly) with intrigue.

It's hard to disagree with Mike Hawk.

Freyaka
08-23-2018, 07:48 AM
I actually dont disagree with his take and look at it the same way. But like i said a couple of months ago the fervor was all about Keenum as well so i was just curious what the mentality was at the moment. All in all this is only the preseason and Kelly has yet to play against/with the 1's so like most backup QB's you have to have some hesitation. Do i think Kelly can do well with the 1's? Yep. But for now its still the backups he is playing against so (as pointed out) until Keenum shows he cant get it done when it matters he is the guy that should be out there.

Aside from Topscribe, there was never a "fervor" it was more a lot of people happy that we most likely have a big improvement over Trevor and Paxton. I don't know that I've seen very many outside of top say that Keenum will be a long term answer, most of us just see the potential for it. Potential isn't always realized.

Like Mike Hawk said though, it's mostly that so far, Case hasn't done anything exciting. We'll see what he does in game 3.

FanInAZ
08-23-2018, 03:07 PM
Like I said about this time last year when about half of this site was jumping on the Siemian bandwagon, I don't hop on any bandwagon until I make sure it’s not heading over a cliff. So when TS unraveled last year, I took it in stride. It’s great that Kelly seems to be doing so well in pre-season, but how will he fare against real Ds.

As for Keenum, he’s apparently taking longer to sync up with his new coaches & teammate, but that’s no reason to panic. Yes, he’s only had 1 good year, but I’m still going to give him the benefit of the doubt that he could be a late bloomer like Alex Smith was for the 49ers & Chiefs. If we can get that level of performance from him, and our D keeps being as dominate as its been for the last 4 years, I believe we could win multiple SBs with Keenum as our QB.

BeefStew25
08-23-2018, 03:11 PM
Like I said about this time last year when about half of this site was jumping on the Siemian bandwagon, I don't hop on any bandwagon until I make sure it’s not heading over a cliff. So when TS unraveled last year, I took it in stride. It’s great that Kelly seems to be doing so well in pre-season, but how will he fare against real Ds.

As for Keenum, he’s apparently taking longer to sync up with his new coaches & teammate, but that’s no reason to panic. Yes, he’s only had 1 good year, but I’m still going to give him the benefit of the doubt that he could be a late bloomer like Alex Smith was for the 49ers & Chiefs. If we can get that level of performance from him, and our D keeps being as dominate as its been for the last 4 years, I believe we could win multiple SBs with Keenum as our QB.

Hope you’re doing well brother.

TXBRONC
08-24-2018, 11:00 AM
Keenum was brought in to be the starting quarterback, so I think they should stick with him until such time that he's not the guy. My mindset hasn't changed I think he's here as transition quarterback. Is Kelly the next franchise quarterback in waiting? I wouldn't say that either at this point.

BroncoTech
08-24-2018, 01:06 PM
I think Keenum is the guy but man he was spraying the ball around like Tim Tebow's ghost last game. They'll gameplan tonight's game and the starters will play long enough to get some rhythm so we'll know more tonight.

Cugel
08-24-2018, 08:16 PM
Time for the fans who jumped off the Keenum Bandwagon, to jump back on the Keenum Bandwagon!

FanInAZ
08-24-2018, 08:52 PM
Time for the fans who jumped off the Keenum Bandwagon, to jump back on the Keenum Bandwagon!

I can't watch the game, but it appears the joy has returned to the gameday thread tonight, at least when it comes to O.

NightTerror218
08-24-2018, 10:15 PM
Keenum had great game. No turnovers through preseason.

ChubbNYiadom
08-25-2018, 12:00 AM
Broncos fans got a thing for jumping on undrafted quarterback, the fact of the matter is Case is the starter and it's not even close imo, tonight put any thoughts of Kelly kicking Case to #2 to bed. Case is clearly the superior quarterback right nowand itll only get better.

Ground Control
08-25-2018, 01:06 AM
He and the O are starting to click. More to the point: The Keenum bandwagon is justified, IMO. He shows every attribute you would expect from a guy that has clawed for everything he has gotten. Tonight he showed what made last year reality, rather than anomaly. It could be another flash but the bulk of the pre-season backs it. The first two games back the fact that there is reason to have pre-season games, regardless of how much we love to hate them.

It could all blow up but I think we are just starting to witness the Keenum we hoped for. In my mind, the Keenum I hoped for was a rational baller, accurate as hell, and cool in the red zone (2nd to Brees). What I have heard from training camp is that he seems to be at least the leader that Manning was. That could be the opinion of a group of men that have been starved for a couple of years but from Keenum's own interviews, he is everything I would hope for from a leader.

Anyway, we'll see. Everything was clicking tonight though and it took work to get to this point. That's something.

Ground Control
08-25-2018, 01:34 AM

So, to me Case is the natural, moderate evolution that Chad Kelly would take to become the QB he hopes to be. It's still early as hell in the honeymoon but Case is a baller, is confident and his chip/ boulder defines everything in his career. Kelly has a better arm but he can't have a better mentor on everything else it takes to be a QB than Case, IMO. Kelly has grown in leaps and bounds and I hope it continues. He could pass Case and many QBs in the league. My gut tells me that at least as long as he is 2nd to Case, he will be a younger clone of Case. They are very similar in many ways. Maybe wrong about that but I think it will be Case and Kelly for a long time. Keenum will let us know this year if he is the future of the Broncos. If not, I hope I'm wrong and Kelly takes his baller to the next level and becomes the future of the Broncos. If he does, by default, he will have moved beyond Keenum's lessons and will have found a better balance of accurate and why the **** not?

FanInAZ
08-25-2018, 01:59 AM
Broncos fans got a thing for jumping on undrafted quarterback, the fact of the matter is Case is the starter and it's not even close imo, tonight put any thoughts of Kelly kicking Case to #2 to bed. Case is clearly the superior quarterback right nowand itll only get better.

1) How does someone who started their account here 17 days age, and who I don't believe has made any mention of having been on any other Broncos fan sites in any post up to this point, able to know what has gone on here in previous seasons?

2) I've became a member of my 1st Broncos fan site, Broncosfreak.com, 3 months after Elway rode off in to the sunset after winning our 2nd SB. I assure that this trend doesn't predate Manning retirement.

DenBronx
08-25-2018, 02:10 AM
Keenums our starting QB. Kind of hard to label fans as bandwagoners to someone who plays the most important position. It's just preseason as well so I don't put alot of stock in what happens.

Remember, we were 4-0 last year in preseason and only managed to win 5 games in regular season.

I am excited about Kellys potential but this is the 2018/2019 Keenum show.

ChubbNYiadom
08-25-2018, 02:47 AM
1) How does someone who started their account here 17 days age, and who I don't believe has made any mention of having been on any other Broncos fan sites in any post up to this point, able to know what has gone on here in previous seasons?

2) I've became a member of my 1st Broncos fan site, Broncosfreak.com, 3 months after Elway rode off in to the sunset after winning our 2nd SB. I assure that this trend doesn't predate Manning retirement.

1.Do you know how many time's ive read on here in the past couple weeks about how we should have kept sloter? Do you know that Broncos fans exist outside of this forum?

I've never heard of anybody coming on a board and announcing all the other places they post @ either, that would probably be a low blow too whatever board they joined as it would send traffic elsewhere... Idk

But Incase you wasn't aware there are tons of Broncos fan's outside of this forum and many of them have and will continue too fall in love with the sloters, dyserts, Trevors, and now Kelly's of the world.

It's a shame when you got legitimate quarterback like Case and a good portion of the fan base wants him benched already for an undrafted quarterback/rapper.

ChubbNYiadom
08-25-2018, 02:56 AM
Keenums our starting QB. Kind of hard to label fans as bandwagoners to someone who plays the most important position. It's just preseason as well so I don't put alot of stock in what happens.

Remember, we were 4-0 last year in preseason and only managed to win 5 games in regular season.

I don't think it's a bandwagon thing, I simply think people are just constantly looking for this major underdog story in broncoland, Hell I remember Bradley VanPelt had all this hidden potential as well, this level of love for these pathetic quarterbacks have been out for a long long time.

Broncoknight30
08-25-2018, 09:05 AM
I don't think it's a bandwagon thing, I simply think people are just constantly looking for this major underdog story in broncoland, Hell I remember Bradley VanPelt had all this hidden potential as well, this level of love for these pathetic quarterbacks have been out for a long long time.

No, Broncos nation everywhere wanted Elway etc to over pay for Cousins desperately. Well, that was not going to happen if the Broncos had any intention to keep any part of the defense together. Keenum, was a good fit at the right price.

Certain Broncos fans I believe think an overpriced QB is more important than a strong defense, if the goal is a SB. Regardless of what we have all witnessed with our own two eyes. People will say that 2015 was an anomaly. Well, I would say it is rather typical.

Lets review, shall we?

Aaron Rodgers (many will say he is the best) has not been to a SB, let alone won one since 2010. That year the Packers were #2 in defense giving up 15 PPG. They needed to pay Rodgers so they had to clear room under the cap to do that, in order to keep up with the Brees huge contract. Well, the Packers defense has never been the same since, and despite GREAT QB PRODUCTION, they have not been back to the SB.

Drew Brees has not been back to the SB since 2009. Yet, he has been extremely productive. One of the highest paid QBs and since they broke their bank, the Saints defenses since 2009 have been historically bad. Again DESPITE GREAT QB PRODUCTION, the Saints have not been back and last season after their defense did a bit better and they finally got balance into their offense, they had a play off run.

In case people are wondering about Tom Brady. Brady is the 17th highest paid QB in the NFL. He RESTRUCTURED his contract in 2014. Oh, btw that was the year they happened to win the SB for the first time in 10 years. During that 10 year period, the Pats defenses were actually not elite. Brady's contract during that time was one of the highest. In 2014, the Pats went out and signed key defensive free agents and for the first time in years, they were a top 10 defense. They win the SB on a defensive play against the Hawks. In 2016 the Pats actually had the #1 defense PPG in the NFL. They win it again. While the defense was not great IN THE SUPER BOWL, they did win it on a defensive play. They also needed that defense in the play offs to get there.

The 2013 Broncos had the greatest offense statistically ever seen. Their defense that year was ranked 19th. They go up against the #1 defense in the NFL. Granted many Broncos were injured that year and for that game. Von Miller, Derek Wolfe, Chris Harris, Rahim Moore, Vickerson, Ryan Clady and their starting center. Manny Ramirez was their back up center and hiked the ball over Manning's head for the quickest score in SB history. (which broke the record of Elway to Nattiel in SB XXII.) Two years later the Broncos have the #1 DEFENSE and a horrific offense. They win it.

Yet, fans would have rather broke the bank on Cousins who proved he could not lead a team without a defense in Washington either. The Vikings have about a two year window to get it done, before their young cheap key defensive players come up for contract. Trust me. They will not be able to keep them with Cousins contract.

Bottom line is Keenum is right guy for the right price. Broncos fans ought to be smarter about this. The fact that we wanted them to back up the brinks on Cousins was surprising to me and should not have been surprised about that. We have the best example of what actually gets it done and we still wanted that. Please don't say how Eli Manning or Big Ben got it done without a defense.

Jsteve01
08-25-2018, 09:47 AM

Youre painting with a broad stroak. People everywhere love the backup at any position if the starter isnt shining. Broncos country doesnt own the patent on that. It always coincides with mediocre or less than expected play from a starter at any position in any sport.

Now maybe youre not applying the pathetic tab to Kelly but you sure seemed to lump him in there

Also we can laugh at the sloter hype all we want. But the kid continues to develop and may very well end up as the primary backup in Minny. A close friend of mine grew with Jon Boyer the OC from Northern Colorado. Boyer never hypes guys and he cant stop talking about Sloter. The stuff we saw last year and through the preseason agsin this year is no fluke. The kid is top of the spectrum athletically. Extremely intelligent, resilient, and has the mindset of a qb even after the stint at receiver. Barring injury he wil play in the league for a long time and start at some point. He is no van pelt or jarious jackson

As to Kelly Ive smiled quietly as the attitude has shifted here. Ive been saying since day one that zero of the concerns with Kelly predraft were about football stuff. He is a football junky with plus athleticism, a very good arm, and every intangible you could ever want. Ive said it over and over but he beat bama, auburn, lsu, and very good ok state and a& m teams his junior year and his team wasnt the best on the field in any of those matchups.
The question for him was old character stuff, but even then he was never a manziel but suffered a lot from the manziel hangover. If he is healthy in that draft and had zero character flags someone please try to convince me that he wouldnt have gone over a say Mahomes or Kizer. The kid is a qb.

Broncoknight30
08-25-2018, 09:56 AM
Youre painting with a broad stroak. People everywhere love the backup at any position if the starter isnt shining. Broncos country doesnt own the patent on that. It always coincides with mediocre or less than expected play from a starter at any position in any sport.

Now maybe youre not applying the pathetic tab to Kelly but you sure seemed to lump him in there

Also we can laugh at the sloter hype all we want. But the kid continues to develop and may very well end up as the primary backup in Minny. A close friend of mine grew with Jon Boyer the OC from Northern Colorado. Boyer never hypes guys and he cant stop talking about Sloter. The stuff we saw last year and through the preseason agsin this year is no fluke. The kid is top of the spectrum athletically. Extremely intelligent, resilient, and has the mindset of a qb even after the stint at receiver. Barring injury he wil play in the league for a long time and start at some point. He is no van pelt or jarious jackson

As to Kelly Ive smiled quietly as the attitude has shifted here. Ive been saying since day one that zero of the concerns with Kelly predraft were about football stuff. He is a football junky with plus athleticism, a very good arm, and every intangible you could ever want. Ive said it over and over but he beat bama, auburn, lsu, and very good ok state and a& m teams his junior year and his team wasnt the best on the field in any of those matchups.
The question for him was old character stuff, but even then he was never a manziel but suffered a lot from the manziel hangover. If he is healthy in that draft and had zero character flags someone please try to convince me that he wouldnt have gone over a say Mahomes or Kizer. The kid is a qb.

Fairly certain Sloter is going to be beating out the GREAT SIEMIAN for the back up role. The Vikings saw fit to give Sloter the lions share of playing time in the crucial 3rd preseason game.

Sloter was 11 for 15 and 2 TDs and ZERO ints.

Siemian was 4 for 8 for 3 yards.

LOL!!!

I guess us fans who saw a little something, seem to be more knowledgeable about the game than the coaching staff and Elway. Remember when he cut him last year for Osweiler? Oh, yeeeeeah. We all remember that. That was when Sloter had the highest passer rating in preseason in the league and clearly the best QB on the roster in TC and preseason last year.

They cut him.

DenBronx
08-25-2018, 10:17 AM
Yeah I think Sloter is going to beat out Trevor.

Kelly has already beat out Lynch. Alot of good story lines from both teams.

Broncoknight30
08-25-2018, 10:28 AM
Yeah I think Sloter is going to beat out Trevor.

Kelly has already beat out Lynch. Alot of good story lines from both teams.
Not for nothing, but Cousins has not been lighting things up in preseason. Sloter is actually outplaying him too.

Tangerine
08-25-2018, 10:48 AM

Case Keenum was an undrafted QB.....

nevcraw
08-25-2018, 11:29 AM
def love what Case has done with the lockeroom. he's instilled faith in the most important group outside of this forum. just look at the way sanders is balling out for him. even if he is only average (which is a huge upgrade)- we will get back to winning this year because the other dudes are fired up and going to play their tits of for this guy...

kelly is intriguing but certainly not going to go all sloter slobber on him. there are kelly's and Sloters on every team every year and 99% end up stocking shelves within 2 years..

nevcraw
08-25-2018, 11:31 AM
Fairly certain Sloter is going to be beating out the GREAT SIEMIAN for the back up role. The Vikings saw fit to give Sloter the lions share of playing time in the crucial 3rd preseason game.

LOL!!!

I guess us fans who saw a little something, seem to be more knowledgeable about the game than the coaching staff and Elway. Remember when he cut him last year for Osweiler? Oh, yeeeeeah. We all remember that. That was when Sloter had the highest passer rating in preseason in the league and clearly the best QB on the roster in TC and preseason last year.

They cut him.

good lord

Nomad
08-25-2018, 11:31 AM
def love what Case has done with the lockeroom. he's instilled faith in the most important group outside of this forum. just look at the way sanders is balling out for him. even if he is only average (which is a huge upgrade)- we will get back to winning this year because the other dudes are fired up and going to play their tits of for this guy...

kelly is intriguing but certainly not going to go all sloter slobber on him. there are kelly's and Sloters on every team every year and 99% end up stocking shelves within 2 years..

I agree. Kelly is a unique one. He was a damn good QB in college, and it's showing. Kelly is no Sloter.

Broncoknight30
08-25-2018, 11:41 AM
good lord

I know, right? Discouraging isn't it? Considering how right it looks like us stupid fans were in regards to Sloter. I know, I know. Osweiler, Siemian and Paxton played against first teamers and were actually better.

Yeeeaaah....

WARHORSE
08-25-2018, 11:46 AM
Case has played his way to be where he's at and deserves to be the starter. Kelly is not ready to be the starter yet unless you want to sacrifice the season for his experience under center. Both are lucky to have one another. Kelly to learn under Keenum and Keenum to be pushed by Kelly. Like Steve and a few others, Ive been a Kelly herald all along. Also a Sloter fan. Im not sure about who let Sloter go, whether it was Joseph or John but whoever it is he should be slapped in the back of the head hard.

Ive heard every stupid excuse about Kelly beating Alabama......twice....not to mention other SEC big dogs. Putting up over 40 on bama in both games.....as if everyone in the country could do it.

Chad Kelly is the first one there, last to leave. He is breathing football and getting better.

Football Player: CHAD KELLY aka SWAG.

Northman
08-25-2018, 11:48 AM
Lol

Nomad
08-25-2018, 11:52 AM
Lol

Yep. It's the 'Tebow craze' all over again. Granted....without the praying, and Kelly is better.

Every mistake Keenum makes there will be chants of 'Kelly, Kelly, Kelly', and Falco will be leading it with his bullhorn. :D

Freyaka
08-25-2018, 12:12 PM

Becuase that's not just some new account, that's Yash's new account.

And not to side with Yash, but no, the trend of us loving the third stringer has been around for awhile. Tom Brandstarter, Bradley Van Pelt, Jarrious Jackson, Patrick Ramsey, Chris Sims, Zac Dysert, ect... This fanbase loves to latch on to the third stringers...It's nothing new. Now granted, the third stringers being undrafted or 7th rounders is kind of a newer trend, but this has been going on for ages.

OrangeHoof
08-25-2018, 12:26 PM
Keenum showed just what he can do Friday night and he'll only get better. Can't believe so many people want to knob-polish a 7th-round draft choice after a couple of preseason games against second and third-stringers. I can't wait to see them work Thomas, Sanders and Sutton into some three-wide sets where Keenum can pick teams apart like he did with the Vikings last year. Off the bandwagon? Hell, no.

Northman
08-25-2018, 12:35 PM
Keenum showed just what he can do Friday night and he'll only get better. Can't believe so many people want to knob-polish a 7th-round draft choice after a couple of preseason games against second and third-stringers. I can't wait to see them work Thomas, Sanders and Sutton into some three-wide sets where Keenum can pick teams apart like he did with the Vikings last year. Off the bandwagon? Hell, no.

Denver actually had some 5 wide sets last night.

Nomad
08-25-2018, 12:39 PM
Curious....why does Chubbiny, or whoever, get you guys wound up?

Northman
08-25-2018, 12:42 PM
Curious....why does Chubbiny, or whoever, get you guys wound up?

He doesnt get me wound up but i thought that making dupe accounts was against forum policy? Has it been confirmed its Yash or has the mods simply let it go?

Nomad
08-25-2018, 12:43 PM
He doesnt get me wound up but i thought that making dupe accounts was against forum policy? Has it been confirmed its Yash or has the mods simply let it go?

That is true.

Cugel
08-25-2018, 12:43 PM
Case has played his way to be where he's at and deserves to be the starter. Kelly is not ready to be the starter yet unless you want to sacrifice the season for his experience under center. Both are lucky to have one another. Kelly to learn under Keenum and Keenum to be pushed by Kelly. Like Steve and a few others, Ive been a Kelly herald all along. Also a Sloter fan. Im not sure about who let Sloter go, whether it was Joseph or John but whoever it is he should be slapped in the back of the head hard.

Ive heard every stupid excuse about Kelly beating Alabama......twice....not to mention other SEC big dogs. Putting up over 40 on bama in both games.....as if everyone in the country could do it.

Chad Kelly is the first one there, last to leave. He is breathing football and getting better.

Football Player: CHAD KELLY aka SWAG.

Elway never considered keeping Sloter. Last year, Joseph was asked directly whether Sloter was under consideration for the backup job late in the pre-season and he said "No." It flat didn't matter what Sloter did in the pre-season they only brought him in as a temporary camp arm.

The player knows he has no chance to make the roster, but he will get valuable experience and a chance to put together some good tape that might impress another team. That is exactly what happened for Kyle Sloter. He played well in the pre-seaon, so the Vikings picked him up after he was cut by the Broncos.

The Vikings weren't terribly impressed with him since they picked up Trevor Siemian to be their backup to Cousins. I'd be surprised if they keep Sloter on their 53 man roster this year. I suppose they could go with 3 QBs. Siemian struggled in relief of Cousins, but has cemented his job as the backup (https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/vikings-trevor-siemian-struggles-in-third-preseason-game/).

If you don't understand WHY they kept Paxton and not Sloter Elway said at the draft "we don't intend to just kick Paxton to the curb." But, there wasn't room on the roster for 2 developmental QBs and the fans just wanted Sloter over Paxton, while Elway had invested a 1st round pick in Paxton and wanted to "develop" him.

They had nothing invested in Sloter and didn't care about him because they viewed him as a marginal player - which he still is. As is Chad Kelly right now.

He might develop into the Broncos long-term starter. And he might wash out of the league in a couple of years never having started an NFL game. It's unclear at this point. He has a long way to go and unless Keenum gets hurt this season he will never see the field.

And who knows what they do next year? They might just go out in the draft and draft a QB in the top 10 and push Kelly to the side.

They are not nearly as impressed with Chad Kelly as the fans & media - which is why Paxton Lynch played in the 3rd pre-season game, and why Lynch will play the 2nd half of the 4th game next Thursday.

They still hope that Lynch will draw some interest from other teams, somehow. Or else Elway just wants to give him "one more last chance."

MOtorboat
08-25-2018, 12:58 PM
Elway never considered keeping Sloter. Last year, Joseph was asked directly whether Sloter was under consideration for the backup job late in the pre-season and he said "No." It flat didn't matter what Sloter did in the pre-season they only brought him in as a temporary camp arm.

The player knows he has no chance to make the roster, but he will get valuable experience and a chance to put together some good tape that might impress another team. That is exactly what happened for Kyle Sloter. He played well in the pre-seaon, so the Vikings picked him up after he was cut by the Broncos.

The Vikings weren't terribly impressed with him since they picked up Trevor Siemian to be their backup to Cousins. I'd be surprised if they keep Sloter on their 53 man roster this year. I suppose they could go with 3 QBs. Siemian struggled in relief of Cousins, but has cemented his job as the backup (https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/vikings-trevor-siemian-struggles-in-third-preseason-game/).

If you don't understand WHY they kept Paxton and not Sloter Elway said at the draft "we don't intend to just kick Paxton to the curb." But, there wasn't room on the roster for 2 developmental QBs and the fans just wanted Sloter over Paxton, while Elway had invested a 1st round pick in Paxton and wanted to "develop" him.

They had nothing invested in Sloter and didn't care about him because they viewed him as a marginal player - which he still is. As is Chad Kelly right now.

He might develop into the Broncos long-term starter. And he might wash out of the league in a couple of years never having started an NFL game. It's unclear at this point. He has a long way to go and unless Keenum gets hurt this season he will never see the field.

And who knows what they do next year? They might just go out in the draft and draft a QB in the top 10 and push Kelly to the side.

They are not nearly as impressed with Chad Kelly as the fans & media - which is why Paxton Lynch played in the 3rd pre-season game, and why Lynch will play the 2nd half of the 4th game next Thursday.

They still hope that Lynch will draw some interest from other teams, somehow. Or else Elway just wants to give him "one more last chance."

Reminder: This front office has been really bad at evaluating quarterback talent.

Canmore
08-25-2018, 01:24 PM
Reminder: This front office has been really bad at evaluating quarterback talent.

This public service announcement has been brought to you by MO.

Broncoknight30
08-25-2018, 01:29 PM

Well, they were still wrong as shit. Really, about everything regarding the QB situation in 2016 and 2017.

Wrong as shit about ALL of their evaluations.

7DnBrnc53
08-25-2018, 01:39 PM
Well, they were still wrong as shit. Really, about everything regarding the QB situation in 2016 and 2017.

Wrong as shit about ALL of their evaluations.

I know. And, the Vikes are wrong if they think that Siemian is the better QB.

Cugel
08-25-2018, 02:27 PM

Yes, but Paxton didn't even give them a chance to choose him. He sucked so bad they can't really defend him or get any use out of him. Yet, he remains on the roster soaking up a valuable roster spot when he will never contribute squat to this team and Chad Kelly should be getting his reps.

Cugel
08-25-2018, 02:29 PM
I know. And, the Vikes are wrong if they think that Siemian is the better QB.

Siemian is easily the better QB for their purposes. They want an experienced backup who has starter experience to come in if Cousins gets hurt and they need their backup to start 4 games. No way they want to trust their season to a raw rookie QB.

That's the same reason lots of experts think the Broncos will add a veteran QB and cut Paxton and make Kelly the #3 backup.

Slick
08-25-2018, 02:31 PM

Letting Paxton play last night was simply to give them a chance to evaluate him some more. Kelly has the #2 spot locked up. I believe your assessment of what the team's opinion of Kelly is, is wrong.

Northman
08-25-2018, 02:40 PM
One thing that was very telling to me watching the team on the sidelines (i was not the only fan to notice this as well) is that Paxton spent a lot of time being "alone" on the sideline while Kelly was clearly mixing it up with some of the players throughout the game. Now to be fair to Lynch he was looking at the playbook but it doesnt seem that he is bonding as well with the team as Kelly and Keenum are. That could be part of Lynch's problem in terms of leadership or confidence. Irregardless of Tebow's short comings as a QB he was very good at engaging as a vocal leader and communicating with the other players. I think Paxton was given time last night because both Keenum and Kelly were still able to move the ball down the field and VJ had seen enough to warrant giving Paxton some more playing time.

I will say this game was probably the best ive seen Paxton so far this year but in the context of who he was playing against could be a big part of that. I do think Denver is hoping that Paxton can do "enough" next week to try and garner some trade bait interest but im really not sure if that he will be able to do that at this juncture. I do think that we will go into the season with Keenum and Kelly as Kelly just seems more engaged with the team than Paxton does. Just looking at Paxton's body language on the sideline last night screams that of a guy who seems like an outcast on the team at this point.

Cugel
08-25-2018, 02:51 PM
One thing that was very telling to me watching the team on the sidelines (i was not the only fan to notice this as well) is that Paxton spent a lot of time being "alone" on the sideline while Kelly was clearly mixing it up with some of the players throughout the game. Now to be fair to Lynch he was looking at the playbook but it doesnt seem that he is bonding as well with the team as Kelly and Keenum are. That could be part of Lynch's problem in terms of leadership or confidence. Irregardless of Tebow's short comings as a QB he was very good at engaging as a vocal leader and communicating with the other players. I think Paxton was given time last night because both Keenum and Kelly were still able to move the ball down the field and VJ had seen enough to warrant giving Paxton some more playing time.

I will say this game was probably the best ive seen Paxton so far this year but in the context of who he was playing against could be a big part of that. I do think Denver is hoping that Paxton can do "enough" next week to try and garner some trade bait interest but im really not sure if that he will be able to do that at this juncture. I do think that we will go into the season with Keenum and Kelly as Kelly just seems more engaged with the team than Paxton does. Just looking at Paxton's body language on the sideline last night screams that of a guy who seems like an outcast on the team at this point.

It no longer matters what Paxton does against future dry-wall installers in the last game of the season. He's done. It's over. He's had his chance and was beaten out by a 7th round or undrafted QB for the 3rd straight year in a row, and his time is through.

Nobody wants him in a trade and the Broncos will soon release him and eat his $5m cap hit.

Northman
08-25-2018, 02:53 PM
It no longer matters what Paxton does against future dry-wall installers in the last game of the season. He's done. It's over. He's had his chance and was beaten out by a 7th round or undrafted QB for the 3rd straight year in a row, and his time is through.

Nobody wants him in a trade and the Broncos will soon release him and eat his $5m cap hit.

Most likely. He hasnt really done enough to warrant keeping him and his roster spot at this point.

BeefStew25
08-25-2018, 03:08 PM
Yes, but Paxton didn't even give them a chance to choose him. He sucked so bad they can't really defend him or get any use out of him. Yet, he remains on the roster soaking up a valuable roster spot when he will never contribute squat to this team and Chad Kelly should be getting his reps.

So you think he’s hogging a roster spot? Like he’s going to make the team?

BeefStew25
08-25-2018, 03:08 PM
Letting Paxton play last night was simply to give them a chance to evaluate him some more. Kelly has the #2 spot locked up. I believe your assessment of what the team's opinion of Kelly is, is wrong.

He’s a human arm. Keenum and Kelly locked it up. Paxton is an arm at this point.

WARHORSE
08-25-2018, 04:02 PM

Camp arm? No.

No such thing as a camp arm. Real evaluations are taking place and before you defend 'camp arm' just know that it would make Elway and any other GM look completely inept as a talent evaluator or organization head to say they bring people in as 'camp arms'. May as well bring live 'blocking dummies'.

Sloter to me played himself into a roster spot. They weren't going to keep two developmental QBs, I agree. Thats why Kelly was kicked to IR. As far as Minnesota goes, last time I checked, he was given a roster spot and a legit contract. Wonder why. Surely it couldnt have been to protect him? And did Sloter outplay Siemian or am I blind?

Of course I understand WHY they kept Paxton. I just dont understand WHY they cut Sloter after what he showed. Thats me.

Regardless of where Sloter goes, he's a classic example of draft position and money vs play. Paxton was being paid for draft position and Sloter wasnt. End of story. But talent-wise? The evidence is still available for all to see. Sloter kicked Paxtons a** on the field.

Jsteve01
08-25-2018, 05:01 PM

This

Jsteve01
08-25-2018, 05:06 PM

Camp arm? No.

No such thing as a camp arm. Real evaluations are taking place and before you defend 'camp arm' just know that it would make Elway and any other GM look completely inept as a talent evaluator or organization head to say they bring people in as 'camp arms'. May as well bring live 'blocking dummies'.

Sloter to me played himself into a roster spot. They weren't going to keep two developmental QBs, I agree. Thats why Kelly was kicked to IR. As far as Minnesota goes, last time I checked, he was given a roster spot and a legit contract. Wonder why. Surely it couldnt have been to protect him? And did Sloter outplay Siemian or am I blind?

Of course I understand WHY they kept Paxton. I just dont understand WHY they cut Sloter after what he showed. Thats me.

Regardless of where Sloter goes, he's a classic example of draft position and money vs play. Paxton was being paid for draft position and Sloter wasnt. End of story. But talent-wise? The evidence is still available for all to see. Sloter kicked Paxtons a** on the field.

And he's better athletically than Paxton. He has just as big an arm. Proven / the radar guns at Pro days. He's faster than Paxton. The thing that I loved about him last year was washing him actually play quarterback throwing balls with touch. Feeling pressure sliding up in the pocket moving down the line of scrimmage to walk Guys open because everybody knew he could run and expected him to run when he slit outside the pocket. All things that you would never see Paxton do.

ChubbNYiadom
08-25-2018, 09:12 PM

I really don't care who he beat, Tebow beat them teams every year.....

Kelly MIGHT be good who knows, but all this talk of him pushing keenum to the bench is absurd imo.

Kelly hasn't been pathetic, but he sure as hell hasn't did anything to warrant talks of being ahead of keenum.

ChubbNYiadom
08-25-2018, 09:14 PM

LOL!!!

They cut him.

I don't think sloter should have been dumped for Brock, that I agree with, just like I dont. Think Kelly should be dumped for Lynch obviously. But until I see them ripping up number one's week in week out the pre season stuff means very little for me.

ChubbNYiadom
08-25-2018, 09:16 PM
Case Keenum was an undrafted QB.....

What's your point? Case has been around and led his team to the championship game. These other guy's have to prove something first, hell case still has something to prove himself like doing it again.

ChubbNYiadom
08-25-2018, 09:26 PM

I'm pretty sure the entire team is not thinking about Kelly or Lynch though, they are all in with Keenum as there guy, all that back up quarterback stuff is irrelevant too the locker room because they know case is there guy wnd if he goes down the season is over with Kelly or Paxton.

So I highly doubt Paxton is some loner that nobody wants to talk with.

ChubbNYiadom
08-25-2018, 09:27 PM

Future dry wall installers?

Broncoknight30
08-25-2018, 09:27 PM
I don't think sloter should have been dumped for Brock, that I agree with, just like I dont. Think Kelly should be dumped for Lynch obviously. But until I see them ripping up number one's week in week out the pre season stuff means very little for me.

He does not just play AGAINST 3rd teamers, he plays WITH 3rd teamers. That basically evens itself out.

IF he was that caliber then he would not dominate against 3rd teamers.

The issues that you look for are things that do translate. One of them is whether or not they recognize coverages. If their footwork is sound. If they go through progressions skillfully with poise.

We see 3rd team caliber QBs struggle with that. The bottom line with Sloter here is was indeed brought in here NOT TO COMPETE for a roster spot.

He was told that and they meant that. In a more perfect world a player that thrives, does all of the right things, performs their job admirably, should be given a shot.

The economic realities will not allow that. You sometimes have a coach or decision maker willing to take a risk. Often times it backfires but sometimes it works.

I wish Elway did not make decisions strictly by the book. That is how he operates.

ChubbNYiadom
08-25-2018, 09:35 PM
He does not just play AGAINST 3rd teamers, he plays WITH 3rd teamers. That basically evens itself out.

The issues that you look for are things that do translate. One of them is whether or not they recognize coverages. If their footwork is sound. If they go through progressions skillfully with poise.

We see 3rd team caliber QBs struggle with that. The bottom line with Sloter here is was indeed brought in here NOT TO COMPETE for a roster spot.

He was told that and they meant that. In a more perfect world a player that thrives, does all of the right things, performs their job admirably, should be given a shot.

The economic realities will not allow that. You sometimes have a coach or decision maker willing to take a risk. Often times it backfires but sometimes it works.

I wish Elway did not make decisions strictly by the book. That is how he operates.

Man there aint any deceptive coverages being played in the pre season with 2nd and 3rd teamers, it's all basic vanilla stuff. The thing that I like about Kelly is actually keeping his head down field a.d going through his progression.

Broncoknight30
08-25-2018, 09:51 PM
Man there aint any deceptive coverages being played in the pre season with 2nd and 3rd teamers, it's all basic vanilla stuff. The thing that I like about Kelly is actually keeping his head down field a.d going through his progression.

https://youtu.be/vIzMwitjCLk

I think you might be a little surprised how teams do run mixed coverages and different blitz packages. Watch that whole sequence of highlights and you will see the Broncos changed coverages, sent different packages and his footwork was decent. He did not simply lock in on a WR.

I noticed that too in the game he was in last night as well.

ChubbNYiadom
08-25-2018, 10:08 PM
Team's blitz yeah but the exotic stuff isn't being whipped out until the games matter.

slim
08-25-2018, 10:33 PM
Jwalk, take a lap.

BroncoTech
08-26-2018, 12:01 AM
Last night restored some confidence in the QBs, O-line and RBs. I like our chances with the way the other AFC West teams are playing.

Hawgdriver
08-26-2018, 12:49 AM
Jwalk, take a lap.

Around Pluto.

BeefStew25
08-26-2018, 01:49 AM
There is such thing as a camp arm. Lynch is the absolute definition of a camp arm. So the dudes in front of him don’t get hurt. This is elementary BS.

WARHORSE
08-26-2018, 05:52 AM
There is such thing as a camp arm. Lynch is the absolute definition of a camp arm. So the dudes in front of him don’t get hurt. This is elementary BS.

Ok, I was wrong.

For the record, is it camp arm, cramp arm, crap arm or champ arm? :heh:

BeefStew25
08-26-2018, 08:33 AM
Ok, I was wrong.

For the record, is it camp arm, cramp arm, crap arm or champ arm?

For him: cramp brain

7DnBrnc53
08-26-2018, 10:58 AM

And look what it got him: A 5-11 record.

MOtorboat
08-26-2018, 11:18 AM
For him: cramp brain

Is that a cramp or a permanent affliction?

nevcraw
08-27-2018, 10:04 PM

So best case scenario Sloter is our backup if they didn’t try to stash him last year. Well looks like we have better or comparible backup in Kelly. Which is why they didn’t keep Sloter. Sooo not super sure of your gripe on this.

Broncoknight30
08-28-2018, 03:04 AM
So best case scenario Sloter is our backup if they didn’t try to stash him last year. Well looks like we have better or comparible backup in Kelly. Which is why they didn’t keep Sloter. Sooo not super sure of your gripe on this.
They cut him for Osweiler.

BroncoWave
08-28-2018, 06:05 AM
They cut him for Osweiler.

And the Vikings TRADED for Trevor siemian rather than let sloter be their backup. Maybe it's time to just accept that he's probably not much more than just a preseason star?

Broncoknight30
08-28-2018, 06:29 AM
And the Vikings TRADED for Trevor siemian rather than let sloter be their backup. Maybe it's time to just accept that he's probably not much more than just a preseason star?

We will most likely never know. What I do know is he outplayed Siemian here and there.

That is a fact. People can point to 3rd teamers and that crap.

He has outplayed them. He would have been the better starter last year. However, being that he was undrafted, he never had a chance.

BroncoWave
08-28-2018, 08:24 AM
We will most likely never know. What I do know is he outplayed Siemian here and there.

That is a fact. People can point to 3rd teamers and that crap.

He has outplayed them. He would have been the better starter last year. However, being that he was undrafted, he never had a chance.

The Vikings signed him as a free agent, so I doubt they care that he was an UDFA. What's more likely? That two different teams are just totally wrong about the guy, or that he just isn't starter material?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-28-2018, 09:29 AM

I’m inclined to think he’s a very inexperienced guy with a ton of upside. He played less than ten games at QB at Northern Colorado. Wouldn’t it be safe to assume the Vikings saw him as a guy with enough upside to warrant giving him a couple of years to develop?

BroncoJoe
08-28-2018, 09:32 AM
I’m inclined to think he’s a very inexperienced guy with a ton of upside. He played less than ten games at QB at Northern Colorado. Wouldn’t it be safe to assume the Vikings saw him as a guy with enough upside to warrant giving him a couple of years to develop?

There's a lot of speculation that he just might pass Trevor on the depth chart.

Hawgdriver
08-28-2018, 09:52 AM

Isn't it crazy that Sloter is higher on an NFL depth chart than any of the QBs on Denver's roster last year?

Man, you were doing cartwheels when Osweiler replaced Sloter. Sure you know 'starter material' when you see it?

LawDog
08-28-2018, 09:53 AM
There's a lot of speculation that he just might pass Trevor on the depth chart.

Speculation is inadmissible...

BroncoWave
08-28-2018, 10:43 AM
Isn't it crazy that Sloter is higher on an NFL depth chart than any of the QBs on Denver's roster last year?

Man, you were doing cartwheels when Osweiler replaced Sloter. Sure you know 'starter material' when you see it?

He's not though? He's still behind siemian.

And I'm not asking you to take my word for it. I'm asking you to take the word of two NFL teams who have never put him higher than third on their depth chart. If he passes siemian I'll eat my words.

Hawgdriver
08-28-2018, 11:20 AM

And I'm not asking you to take my word for it. I'm asking you to take the word of two NFL teams who have never put him higher than third on their depth chart. If he passes siemian I'll eat my words.

Bookmarked. :)

Hawgdriver
08-28-2018, 11:25 AM
If he doesn't, I'll eat mine. I like my odds.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailynorseman.com/platform/amp/2018/8/27/17657384/updated-vikings-53-man-roster-projection

BroncoWave
08-28-2018, 11:31 AM
If he doesn't, I'll eat mine. I like my odds.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailynorseman.com/platform/amp/2018/8/27/17657384/updated-vikings-53-man-roster-projection

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/26/mike-zimmer-makes-it-clear-trevor-siemian-is-the-vikings-backup-qb/

There have been rumblings surrounding the Vikings on who the team’s backup quarterback is.

Well, Vikings coach Mike Zimmer cleared that up pretty quick. On Sunday morning, he made a point in saying that Trevor Siemian is the team’s backup quarterback.

Hawgdriver
08-28-2018, 11:38 AM
Man, this dispute could really benefit from a friendly wager.

BroncoJoe
08-28-2018, 11:39 AM
Man, this dispute could really benefit from a friendly wager.

Opening day bet or for the season?

Hawgdriver
08-28-2018, 11:44 AM
Opening day bet or for the season?

Idk...Siemian is a legit backup so I get Zimmer's dilemma. At the same time it seems clear to nearly everyone but diehard naysayers that Sloter has #1 QB potential. But Zimmer did this with Keenum, kept him needing to prove it. The smart bet is on a 2019 roster prediction.

Freyaka
08-28-2018, 12:42 PM

https://www.milehighreport.com/2018/8/25/17781818/quarterback-kyle-sloter-appears-to-be-passing-trevor-siemian-on-the-vikings-depth-chart

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/26/is-kyle-sloter-making-a-push-for-vikings-backup-qb-spot/

How hungry are you?

Northman
08-28-2018, 01:18 PM
https://www.milehighreport.com/2018/8/25/17781818/quarterback-kyle-sloter-appears-to-be-passing-trevor-siemian-on-the-vikings-depth-chart

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/26/is-kyle-sloter-making-a-push-for-vikings-backup-qb-spot/

How hungry are you?

To be fair to Wave neither of those articles say Sloter has moved to the #2 position, only that it could be a possibility.

BroncoWave
08-28-2018, 01:35 PM

How hungry are you?

Those are both blogs. No more credible than anything you or I would post on here. Mine was a quote straight from the head coach.

Hawgdriver
08-28-2018, 02:28 PM
Those are both blogs. No more credible than anything you or I would post on here. Mine was a quote straight from the head coach.

Don't act like it makes it any more credible!

Broncoknight30
08-28-2018, 02:34 PM

Of course Siemian is going to be the number 2. However, sloter outplayed him here and there.

It is an economical decision. Makes sense. They gave up something for Siemian and he is costing him more.

Trust me, often times the economics have to justify certain decisions. Meaning, Zimmer answers to a GM, who answers to the owner.

Owners are very aware of their costs. Few owners give free reign. Most have frugal natures.

For example, Paul Allen allowed Pete Carroll to start a cheap 3rd rounder in Russell Wilson over their high priced FA they had signed in Matt Flynn.

That was a big risk for both the GM and coach. Many GMs and voaches are not willing and may actually NOT be allowed to make those.

Elway, it seems is very much by the book. He does not take economical risks. He stifled that pressure when he saw the production of Sloter and lack thereof from his first rounder Lynch.

He nipped it in the bud so to speak.