PDA

View Full Version : Oline.....

WARHORSE
08-21-2018, 09:01 PM
Not sure what anyone else thinks but I like what I saw of the Oline so far. Not perfect but they looked a lot better than last year and I think Kugler, in his first year as guard/center coach has melded well with Strausser.

I saw a lot of one on one matchups won as well as better communication and cohesion.

Im trying not to get my hopes up too much but if they continue to gel into the year, this could be a huge difference for us.

Oline is our front line guys. Oooh Rah!!!

Hawgdriver
08-21-2018, 09:31 PM
Yeah, if all the dudes start all the games, sky's the limit for this band of badasses.

Shazam!
08-21-2018, 09:44 PM
McGovern immediately helped solidify the unit as soon as he came in last year.

No one feared Denver's passing game because the opponents knew A - They'll get to Denver QBs eventually and B - Denver couldnt run the ball with any consistency.

Combined with better awareness in the pocket will be the difference. See Lynchs sack last game, he was totally oblivious to the pressure.

Keenum and Kelly are much better feeling the pressure and delivering the ball faster. Huge, huge difference i noticed so far.

I am optimistic about everything from the OLine to Kelly to Lindsay to Freeman and their new young WRs, but we have to see how they look in Sept.

Would be their luck the offense is finally developing with young talent and now the Defense has become a liability... Lets hope that is NOT the case here.

Ziggy
08-21-2018, 11:23 PM
Better coaching, another year of maturity for Bolles, McGovern finally getting a shot, Leary healthy, and an experienced tackle on the right side all make for a much better line. Let's not forget how much a real QB helps.

WARHORSE
08-22-2018, 02:17 AM
If Bolles cuts down on penalties, his stock soars. Hes stronger, looks better.

Ziggy
08-22-2018, 06:24 PM
Friday will be a good gauge of just how far Bolles has come. Kerrigan made him look like a high school player in the Broncos game against the Skins last season.

Slick
08-22-2018, 06:29 PM
If Bolles cuts down on penalties, his stock soars. Hes stronger, looks better.

He looks too skinny to me.

VonDoom
08-22-2018, 06:35 PM
I like our starters a lot this year. Worried about depth in case anyone goes down though

Buff
08-22-2018, 06:47 PM
We have last year's trash o-line + Veldheer. I'm afraid it's going to end in tears.

VonDoom
08-22-2018, 07:12 PM
We have last year's trash o-line + Veldheer. I'm afraid it's going to end in tears.

McGovern seems like a step up from Garcia, we put Leary back in his natural spot and Bolles has a year under his belt. I don’t know if it’ll be great but it’ll be better, barring injury

Buff
08-22-2018, 07:36 PM
McGovern seems like a step up from Garcia, we put Leary back in his natural spot and Bolles has a year under his belt. I don’t know if it’ll be great but it’ll be better, barring injury

Yes I agree it will be better mostly because it can't be worse. When I went to training camp the d-line was absolutely dominating them in 1:1's. Hopefully they can be serviceable.

BeefStew25
08-23-2018, 09:04 AM
Melanin Watson...man. Good money if you can get it.

broncofaninfla
08-23-2018, 09:25 AM
This is the best the OL has looked in several years including the back ups. I've watched both preseason games several times, everybody seems improved since last year. Have to credit that to the new coaching and the addition of Veldheer has been huge. I could see Kouandjin making the team as a back up swing tackle, Garcia is much improved and even Turner seems better this year. The OL is no longer the weak link of this team. QB play and the running game should be much improved this season.

BigDaddyBronco
08-23-2018, 09:37 AM
No depth. The could be average if they stay healthy all year. Cyrus K., Max Garcia, and Billy Turner are the backups, we are screwed if any of the 3 play more than a game.

Keenum getting rid of the ball quickly helps, but it's still a shit show.

BeefStew25
08-23-2018, 11:20 AM

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-23-2018, 11:51 AM
Dude, sweet..

Freyaka
08-23-2018, 11:57 AM
Yes I agree it will be better mostly because it can't be worse. When I went to training camp the d-line was absolutely dominating them in 1:1's. Hopefully they can be serviceable.

Yea, but come on...Look at who we have for pass rushers. Our front 7 should dominate most every o-line they come up against.

BroncoNut
08-23-2018, 01:13 PM
this might be off-topic, but this question is for Warhorse. Warhorse, what is your ethnicity? are you Samoan, Chinese, Mexican, a mix,.. I mean wtf?

slim
08-23-2018, 01:27 PM
this might be off-topic, but this question is for Warhorse. Warhorse, what is your ethnicity? are you Samoan, Chinese, Mexican, a mix,.. I mean wtf?

Hi Nut.

How's the old A Gap these days?

BeefStew25
08-23-2018, 01:31 PM

I get him and Gem confused with each other.

MOtorboat
08-23-2018, 01:42 PM

His ethnicity is Greek God.

BroncoNut
08-23-2018, 02:32 PM
His ethnicity is Greek God.

forgot that one, good call. he lives in HI doesn't he?

BroncoNut
08-23-2018, 02:33 PM
Hi Nut.

How's the old A Gap these days?

I'm well.

BigDaddyBronco
08-23-2018, 02:36 PM
forgot that one, good call. he lives in HI doesn't he?

On top of a mountain, above the clouds.

WARHORSE
08-23-2018, 03:17 PM

Not that I mind, why do you ask? You lookin for somethin?

Samoan/Greek

WARHORSE
08-23-2018, 03:20 PM
I get him and Gem confused with each other.

True! True!

But tell em the rest: You get yourself confused with Maxine Waters.

WARHORSE
08-23-2018, 03:22 PM
On top of a mountain, above the clouds.

Every day. ;)

BroncoNut
08-23-2018, 04:18 PM
Not that I mind, why do you ask? You lookin for somethin?

Samoan/Greek

that's right. I was missing the Greek. that surprised me for some reason. you don't strike me as a boy lover- and I mean that in a good way

WARHORSE
08-23-2018, 10:20 PM
that's right. I was missing the Greek. that surprised me for some reason. you don't strike me as a boy lover- and I mean that in a good way

lol.

Yeah, unlike Beef, for some wonderful reason the Lord chose me to be attracted to women. Ive never argued the point with Him either.

Not to mention my wife could spot a closet penis hugger from 2 states away.(and I live in Hawaii) heh heh

Hawgdriver
08-23-2018, 11:40 PM
You're a funny dude--and I mean that in a good way. You adopted a damned good Bronco, too bad TPTB held too much hope for their draft pick. Sometimes you gotta take risks if you wanna chase that ring!

But fortune seems to smile on the Broncos again with another promising young prospect. Ever onward.

BeefStew25
08-24-2018, 01:09 AM
lol.

Yeah, unlike Beef, for some wonderful reason the Lord chose me to be attracted to women. Ive never argued the point with Him either.

Not to mention my wife could spot a closet penis hugger from 2 states away.(and I live in Hawaii) heh heh

Text me

WARHORSE
08-24-2018, 04:42 AM
Text me

You don't have to tell me twice beautiful. ;)

BroncoJoe
08-24-2018, 06:18 AM
Hey WAR - how are things in the great state of Hawaii? Is the hurricane having any effect on you?

Shazam!
08-24-2018, 09:31 AM
lol.

Text me

Give me your number. I send u pics of my Lincoln and my new one when i get it

BroncoNut
08-24-2018, 09:57 AM
lol.

what does the oracle of Delphi say about all of this?

BroncoNut
08-24-2018, 09:59 AM
lol.

Beef likes him some penis, I can't argue that.

nevcraw
08-24-2018, 11:01 AM
The o line should look millions better with a QB who doesn’t drift in the pocket and gets the ball out quick. Won’t be the best but no longer the worse.

BroncoNut
08-24-2018, 11:35 AM

send me pics of your junk,

thanks, Beefstew25

Shazam!
08-24-2018, 11:49 AM

send me pics of your junk,

thanks, Beefstew25

Id hate to make you jealous twice

WARHORSE
08-24-2018, 12:34 PM
Hey WAR - how are things in the great state of Hawaii? Is the hurricane having any effect on you?

Well, so far its a little wet.....and the hammock is swaying a little more.....but not enough to spill my drink. :heh:

BeefStew25
08-24-2018, 12:35 PM
Id hate to make you jealous twice

What time is the board meeting

BroncoTech
08-24-2018, 12:38 PM
The only line we have is a bunch of lardasses lined up at the snack bar. That's our line. How woud they look against Lyle Alzado?

BroncoNut
08-24-2018, 01:16 PM
The only line we have is a bunch of lardasses lined up at the snack bar. That's our line. How woud they look against Lyle Alzado?
probably very much alive I would imagine

BroncoTech
08-24-2018, 03:14 PM
probably very much alive I would imagine

He'd line up across from Bolles and run through him like a ghost

BroncoNut
08-24-2018, 04:16 PM
He'd line up across from Bolles and run through him like a ghost

it would be like in the movie ghost. Bolles would be freaking out like the bad guy because Fran Tarkington (Patrick Swayze after he got killed in the movie) would be a ghost and just messing around with him the whole game. Bolles would suck and Denver would lose that game I bet

VonDoom
08-24-2018, 05:55 PM
They just need to gel

Cugel
08-24-2018, 06:10 PM
Broncos' Ron Leary: Game-time decision Friday

by RotoWire Staff Aug 22, 2018 • 1 min read Update Aug 22, 2018, 6:46pm

Leary (knee) is considered to be a game-time decision for Friday's preseason game against Washington, Ryan O'Halloran of The Denver Post reports.

Leary wasn't ruled out during Wednesday's injury report, suggesting he'll be re-evaluated prior to Friday's kickoff. Although Leary did not practice Wednesday, there seems to be growing optimism surrounding his chances of playing.

Ron Leary's got knee issues which are keeping him out of practice and out of pre-season games. You can say "they're just being careful" but they are not "just" being anything.

Leary has had a history of knee issues which is why Dallas didn't want to pay him and hold onto him in the first place. They felt they could replace him with "some dude named Chaz Green" and be just fine.

He has elite potential if healthy supposedly. He was far from elite playing RG last year, but was considered out of position. Perhaps.

We'll see this year. But, he's already experiencing health issues again this season, which is not a good start. Perhaps it will all be fine, but in the past this sort of nagging injury has been the precursor to an injury plagued season for him.

And their line is razor thin depth-wise. Their starters are PERHAPS adequate this year, which would be the best anybody could say about them in the last 4 years. Perhaps.

But, if a couple of players go down, especially Ron Leary, who is their best veteran player, other than Paradis, it's a serious problem. His cap hit this season is nearly $9 million, including his pro-rated $3.5m signing bonus and $172,000 roster bonus, and his $100,000 workout bonus, etc. They are paying him elite G money and so far have not gotten elite level play from him.

ChubbNYiadom
08-24-2018, 11:55 PM
Not sure what anyone else thinks but I like what I saw of the Oline so far. Not perfect but they looked a lot better than last year and I think Kugler, in his first year as guard/center coach has melded well with Strausser.

I saw a lot of one on one matchups won as well as better communication and cohesion.

Im trying not to get my hopes up too much but if they continue to gel into the year, this could be a huge difference for us.

Oline is our front line guys. Oooh Rah!!!

Oline definitely looks like they'll be one of the best units in the league this year, definitely a top ten oline imo. Say what you will about Vance but this team has come back better at a lot of area's it was terrible and oline is one of those most improved units. Even the 2nd string line looks solid.

ChubbNYiadom
08-24-2018, 11:56 PM
Ron Leary's got knee issues which are keeping him out of practice and out of pre-season games. You can say "they're just being careful" but they are not "just" being anything.

Leary has had a history of knee issues which is why Dallas didn't want to pay him and hold onto him in the first place. They felt they could replace him with "some dude named Chaz Green" and be just fine.

He has elite potential if healthy supposedly. He was far from elite playing RG last year, but was considered out of position. Perhaps.

We'll see this year. But, he's already experiencing health issues again this season, which is not a good start. Perhaps it will all be fine, but in the past this sort of nagging injury has been the precursor to an injury plagued season for him.

And their line is razor thin depth-wise. Their starters are PERHAPS adequate this year, which would be the best anybody could say about them in the last 4 years. Perhaps.

But, if a couple of players go down, especially Ron Leary, who is their best veteran player, other than Paradis, it's a serious problem. His cap hit this season is nearly $9 million, including his pro-rated $3.5m signing bonus and $172,000 roster bonus, and his $100,000 workout bonus, etc. They are paying him elite G money and so far have not gotten elite level play from him.

Leary is fine, no need to force anything in the pre season, give the man his veteran rest, the dude is all pro.

Ground Control
08-25-2018, 01:48 AM
Better coaching, another year of maturity for Bolles, McGovern finally getting a shot, Leary healthy, and an experienced tackle on the right side all make for a much better line. Let's not forget how much a real QB helps.

Bolles is balling, from what I've heard on 760am and he's been fine in the pre-season. The Oline all seem to be balling. Slashing Watson added to the momentum, methinks. Case is the 6th lineman and makes the whole that much better. Could be good.

Ground Control
08-25-2018, 01:51 AM

Luckily, you just described every O Line in the NFL. Thanks, I feel much better!

WARHORSE
08-25-2018, 11:48 AM
The oline is a large part of why Keenum and Chad are playing well.

BroncoNut
08-25-2018, 12:22 PM
The oline is a large part of why Keenum and Chad are playing well.
Yes and a perfect example of the importance of teamwork

Cugel
08-25-2018, 02:48 PM
Leary is fine, no need to force anything in the pre season, give the man his veteran rest, the dude is all pro.

He's not remotely "fine."

Sandy Clough on the injury concerns for Leary: (http://1043thefan.com/category/podcast_player/?a=10022085&sid=1163&n=Sandy+Clough)

"I thought Griese [telecaster] made a good point when he said at the outset of the game that 'this knee issue with Ron Leary is now officially of concern.'

Because you know that in this game tonight, if he was able to go, they could have had him out there for a hand full of series, he didn't have to stay out there with the ones for all that long. But, the fact that he didn't play at all and the knee is still bothering him and it's the same surgically repaired knee that he had operated on at the end of last year.

That is officially a matter of concern.

He goes on to note that Max Garcia has reportedly been doing well in the views of the coaching staff. But, the depth on the OL is terribly thin, and Leary was supposed to be their best OL. And he's not healthy. He's having knee issues. His operated on knee hasn't responded 100%.

ChubbNYiadom
08-25-2018, 09:39 PM
He's not remotely "fine."

He goes on to note that Max Garcia has reportedly been doing well in the views of the coaching staff. But, the depth on the OL is terribly thin, and Leary was supposed to be their best OL. And he's not healthy. He's having knee issues. His operated on knee hasn't responded 100%.

What does a veteran all pro GUARD have to prove in the pre season man? They are clearly not willing to risk injury in the pre season and rightfully so

Cugel
08-26-2018, 09:48 PM
What does a veteran all pro GUARD have to prove in the pre season man? They are clearly not willing to risk injury in the pre season and rightfully so

He was operated on. What part of that do you not understand?

His operated knee is still hurting him. He didn't play in the pre-season. At all.

They would have put him in for a couple of series if he was healthy enough to play. But, he can't. And there's no reason to think that he's necessarily going to be "just fine" in the regular season.

The TV commentators and radio sport talk is talking about this as "a problem." Maybe everything will be fine, but the fact that the team isn't admitting they have a problem, doesn't mean they don't have a problem.

ChubbNYiadom
08-27-2018, 03:20 PM
He was operated on. What part of that do you not understand?

His operated knee is still hurting him. He didn't play in the pre-season. At all.

They would have put him in for a couple of series if he was healthy enough to play. But, he can't. And there's no reason to think that he's necessarily going to be "just fine" in the regular season.

The TV commentators and radio sport talk is talking about this as "a problem." Maybe everything will be fine, but the fact that the team isn't admitting they have a problem, doesn't mean they don't have a problem.

He was at practice practicing TODAY.

slim
08-27-2018, 03:28 PM
When was Leary an All-Pro?

ChubbNYiadom
08-27-2018, 03:56 PM
When was Leary an All-Pro?

I mean he's only recognized as one of the best guard's in the game.

Krugan
08-27-2018, 04:55 PM
Kinda finding the lack of leary playing in game 3 to be abit troubling. Thats the game they need to be in...

ChubbNYiadom
08-27-2018, 04:58 PM
Kinda finding the lack of leary playing in game 3 to be abit troubling. Thats the game they need to be in...

Not really. There wasn't other guy's and starters that didn't play?

Krugan
08-27-2018, 05:16 PM

How many starters havent played a snap this preseason?

I honestly dont know who would be a shoe in starter that has been held out for injury precautions.

ChubbNYiadom
08-27-2018, 05:25 PM
Well he's ready for week one man, that's all that matters to me.

BroncoNut
08-28-2018, 10:55 AM
Oline definitely looks like they'll be one of the best units in the league this year, definitely a top ten oline imo. Say what you will about Vance but this team has come back better at a lot of area's it was terrible and oline is one of those most improved units. Even the 2nd string line looks solid.
Unfortunately fat out-of-shape pigs dont win football games

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-28-2018, 11:01 AM
Unfortunately fat out-of-shape pigs dont win football games

The Cowboys offensive line of the mid 90’s were grossly overweight with visible spare tires.

BroncoNut
08-28-2018, 11:07 AM
The Cowboys offensive line of the mid 90’s were grossly overweight with visible spare tires.

And they all died young so what is your point?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-28-2018, 11:39 AM
And they all died young so what is your point?

They were arguably the best run blocking line in the history of the game. You could say they gave the competition a heart attack.

BroncoNut
08-28-2018, 11:49 AM
They were arguably the best run blocking line in the history of the game. You could say they gave the competition a heart attack.

I could also say my long deceased grandmother has only a short while yet to live and it still doesnt make it true. So once agagain, what exactly is your point?

WARHORSE
08-28-2018, 12:25 PM
They were arguably the best run blocking line in the history of the game.

Arguably.

Broncos Oline 1998 was the best Oline to me.

No doubt Dallas line had more years, they were together longer. But I'll take the Broncos line 97-98 any day. They were a symphony of harmony.

Freyaka
08-28-2018, 12:44 PM

Those other guys haven't been non-existent all preseason. We've seen nothing from Leary so far, that's not good no matter how you feel like spinning yash.

BroncoNut
08-30-2018, 03:25 PM
Those other guys haven't been non-existent all preseason. We've seen nothing from Leary so far, that's not good no matter how you feel like spinning yash.

You've seen nothing from Leary so far? are you blind?

Shazam!
08-30-2018, 03:32 PM
This just proves how unappreciated the guys up front are that they haven't even been noticed. One of the first bright spots of the Preseason was the OLine. I know its early but there has been a def slight improvement up front, coupled with better awareness from CK and CK is a win.

Cugel
08-30-2018, 06:01 PM

They are not all trash though.

From best to worst:

1. Paradis. He was coming off 2 hip surgeries last year. A normal person would never have thought of doing anything athletic for about 1 year after that. He played an entire NFL season. Matt McChesney, who played for Rams, Jets, Dolphins, and Broncos calls Paradis "perhaps the top C in the NFL." He's really good and for the first time in years he's completely healthy. We'll see how that translates. But, the biggest problem with Paradis is that they need to sign him long term because he's a FA next off-season.

Ron Leary was a pro-bowler with Dallas, and played out of position at RG last year. If he's healthy, he's a very good player.

Bolles sucked pretty much as a rookie, but it's ridiculous to just start a guy at LT in the NFL his rookie year and expect him to just be great. Perhaps a guy like Joe Thomas could pull that off, but few others.

It's not unreasonable to give him time to develop. Of course he needs to cut down on his penalties.

Veldheer doesn't suck. He's the reason they got rid of Menelik Watson this off season. He just has to stay healthy and he'll be a big improvement. You wouldn't call him a pro-bowler, but he's adequate.

Conner McGovern has played his way into a starting job at RG from being a role-player. He's a good run blocker as you saw in the last game, but he's had to improve his pass blocking. That's completely normal for NFL linemen. Most can run block, it's their pass blocking they need to work on and that comes with experience and playing together as a unit.

This OL has the potential to be one of the better OLs in the NFL. But, they have to continue to play together and develop that chemistry. We'll see if that happens.

But, already they are playing a lot better than last year which you saw on Royce Freeman's TD runs so far this pre-season. Good blocking. Hopefully that can continue.

But, none of these guys is trash like starting T Watson and G Max Garcia last year.

Cugel
08-30-2018, 06:04 PM
Arguably.

Broncos Oline 1998 was the best Oline to me.

No doubt Dallas line had more years, they were together longer. But I'll take the Broncos line 97-98 any day. They were a symphony of harmony.

Well, hell! They had a Hall of Fame LT in Gary Zimmerman, plus really elite player who played for over a decade in the NFL like Mark Schlereth, and Tom Nalen. Even Tony Jones was a really good player.

Every single one of those guys from the '97 team would start over any current Broncos OL.

dogfish
08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
I could also say my long deceased grandmother has only a short while yet to live and it still doesnt make it true. So once agagain, what exactly is your point?

shit, fellas, nut is in mid-season form already. . .

BroncoNut
08-31-2018, 09:55 AM

Dog, I'm coming out to Denver in a few weeks. I am staying on the outskirts of town at the first super8 I find after the wheels touchdown. You, me, and UR are gonna spend some time together, just a heads up

Jsteve01
08-31-2018, 09:57 AM

Dog, I'm coming out to Denver in a few weeks. I am staying on the outskirts of town at the first super8 I find after the wheels touchdown. You, me, and UR are gonna spend some time together, just a heads up

I missu

Hawgdriver
08-31-2018, 11:36 AM
I missu

I don't.

Jsteve01
08-31-2018, 12:30 PM
I missu

I don't.

Hawg u seem rather peevish right now.

Hawgdriver
08-31-2018, 09:04 PM
Hawg u seem rather peevish right now.

Yeah I was in a shit mood this am, nyquil seems to do that for some reason. Too much caffeine yesterday afternoon. It happens. Nut knows I love him, or should.