PDA

View Full Version : Grades for Lamar Jackson, Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Chad Kelly performances so far -

ShaneFalco
08-21-2018, 08:50 PM
http://walterfootball.com/rookiequarterbacks2018.php

#2 Chad Kelly, Broncos Grade: A+
Chad Kelly is not a rookie, but was injured last summer and didn't get to play in the preseason during his real rookie campaign. I'm going to analyze him here for that reason.

PRESEASON WEEK 2 ANALYSIS: Chad Kelly entered the game ahead of Paxton Lynch in the middle of the second quarter. His first real throw was a touchdown to Courtland Sutton, a 16-yard dart that was on the money down the seam. Kelly then hit Tim Patrick with a great touch pass for 27 yards. His next drive featured a pass where he fit a ball into a tight window on a slant to Brian Parker. He then showed good arm strength on a throw outside the numbers where only his receiver could catch it. Kelly made a rare mistake after that, barely missing Patrick on a fade deep down the sideline.

Kelly finished 7-of-9 for 90 yards and a touchdown. He's been a great surprise for the Broncos, and if he keeps this up, the fans will be calling for him to start if Keenum struggles.

PRESEASON WEEK 1 ANALYSIS: Chad Kelly opened his evening by drawing a pass interference, then connected with a teammate on a 16-yard screen. He found a wide-open receiver for a touchdown on the next drive. The following possession was his best, and it began when he drilled a 20-yarder to his wideout. He then received a poor snap, but collected the ball and threw it away calmly. Kelly responded by firing a laser for another 20-yard gain. He then impressively recognized the blitz and changed the protection, allowing him to scramble for a first down. Kelly followed that up with his second touchdown; he faced down a blitzer and found the open target for a score as he was getting drilled. Kelly made his first mistake after that, however. He threw an interception, firing a late ball as he stared down his receiver. However, he rebounded by rifling a 19-yard pass on his next throw. He managed to lead the Broncos to the red zone once again, but ran out of time. He was fortunate to have a pick-six dropped, but would've thrown a third touchdown had his teammate not dropped the ball in the end zone.

Kelly was fantastic. Outside of a couple of plays, he was flawless. Kelly finished 14-of-21 for 177 yards, two touchdowns and an interception, and he was as good as those numbers indicate.

ShaneFalco
08-21-2018, 08:52 PM
https://twitter.com/walterfootball/status/1032081440299790342

Nomad
08-21-2018, 09:11 PM
I'm surprised Danny Etling is on an NFL team.

Tned
08-21-2018, 09:27 PM
Well, Walter's is giving some tepid praise of Kelly, so that's good to see.

PatriotsGuy
08-22-2018, 09:14 AM
I'm surprised Danny Etling is on an NFL team.

He won't be for long

Shazam!
08-22-2018, 09:21 AM
Kelly will be Denver's starter in a couple of years. Bank on that shit

wayninja
08-22-2018, 12:21 PM
Well, Walter's is giving some tepid praise of Kelly, so that's good to see.

Tepid?

If I got into a bath at that "tepid" temperature, I'd get 3rd degree burns!

Davii
08-22-2018, 01:14 PM
Tepid?

If I got into a bath at that "tepid" temperature, I'd get 3rd degree burns!

Yeah but you're kinda girlie... so....

wayninja
08-22-2018, 02:40 PM
Kinda?

If I were any more "girlie" I'd be playing RB for the Rams!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-22-2018, 09:35 PM
Kinda?

If I were any more "girlie" I'd be playing RB for the Rams!
Well played sir.

BeefStew25
08-23-2018, 08:48 AM
I hope Chubb is all world in the event the QB’s drafted behind him are studs.

Tned
08-23-2018, 06:01 PM
Yeah but you're kinda girlie... so....

And worse than that, I woke up screaming last night. My wife asked what happened. I said I had a dream of Ninja taking a bath. She said, "A Ninja taking a bath?" and then I had to explain, not a ninja, but Ninja. The nightmare got worse!

Slick
08-23-2018, 06:06 PM

I would have drafted Rosen there. Hope I was wrong.

wayninja
08-23-2018, 06:52 PM
And worse than that, I woke up screaming last night. My wife asked what happened. I said I had a dream of Ninja taking a bath. She said, "A Ninja taking a bath?" and then I had to explain, not a ninja, but Ninja. The nightmare got worse!

https://media.giphy.com/media/oRlbEkkJtKGLS/giphy.gif

Cugel
08-23-2018, 07:10 PM

It won't matter at all if Chad Kelly continues to develop into a franchise QB. There is absolutely no reason why he can't now that he's a lock to make the 53 man roster and the team will have to dump Paxton (finally!).

Even if Josh Allen or Josh Rosen (the two QBs the Broncos could have drafted since Darnold and Mayfield were both gone at #5) turn into franchise QBs, their teams gave up a LOT of draft capital to get them.

The Broncos instead drafted Chubb and Courtland Sutton and Royce Freeman. Those players look like studs right now.