PDA

View Full Version : The new helmet rule.

Broncoknight30
08-21-2018, 04:10 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHSaP7Biy7g

Yes, Brandon Perna again. Just watch that video cause he has a compilation of the penalties being called. The Pittsburgh penalty really got me. It is in there. This is a real real problem. If we have to endure this shit all year.....I am pretty sure I am done with the game.

I am close to that anyway, and no it has little to do with the kneeling crap. The product has increasingly sucked. Mainly due to our over litigious society which in my mind is the real problem.

What confuses me about the "ESPN" types that are sooo concerned about the head injury problem is why they only seem to be overly concerned about it in the NFL. When was the last time you saw a hint at drastic rule changes in hockey, or MMA, or boxing, or soccer?

When was the last time you saw anyone calling for the autopsy of an EX NHL player that died? Gordie Howe recently passed and there was no call for an autopsy. He played 30 years of professional hockey. The sport did not even use helmets. Not even the damn goalies!!!

So, why is the NFL and football the only sports that get the relentless attacks when so many other sports have well documented cases of head injuries? Why aren't the MIKE GREENBERGS of the world drawing attention on that? Why isn't Bob Ley doing an OTL episode about concussions in other sports?

Here are some interesting studies for instance that just came out in regards to females and soccer.

https://cosmosmagazine.com/biology/head-injury-risk-higher-for-female-soccer-players
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/heading-soccer-ball-harms-women-more-men-study-finds-n896236
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/07/31/634263471/heading-may-be-riskier-for-women-soccer-players-than-men
https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/soccer-heading-injury-study-1.4767283
http://aaos-annualmeeting-presskit.org/2017/research-news/concussions_hsu/

Hardly anything reported. Not by BSPN. Why is that?

All I do know is the NFL product has sucked for a while now. This new pathetic ambiguous rule could be the death blow for me.

BroncoWave
08-21-2018, 08:18 AM
Take a deep breath.

Bronco4ever
08-21-2018, 09:15 AM
I think they are over penalizing it in the preseason so the players will get used to it. And so the refs will have a catalogue of penalties to look at and see if it's legitimate or not. It'll take some adjustment, but I don't think (hope anyway) that the regular season will be as bad as we're seeing now.

Shazam!
08-21-2018, 09:19 AM
We'll live.

broncofaninfla
08-21-2018, 10:32 AM
So far in the preseason the rule enforcement has been a joke. It's confusing and slows the game down. Add to it it's very subjective which opens the rule enforcement up to corruption. It's certainly not encouraging at all that this is the best the NFL could come up with.

BroncoJoe
08-21-2018, 10:42 AM
If it continues through the actual season, I'd be more concerned. The ref's always throw more flags during preseason to make a point. Plus, they're in the learning stage as well on how and when to enforce.

Either way, it'd take a lot more than this for me to stop watching football.

Northman
08-21-2018, 11:54 AM
So far in the preseason the rule enforcement has been a joke. It's confusing and slows the game down. Add to it it's very subjective which opens the rule enforcement up to corruption. It's certainly not encouraging at all that this is the best the NFL could come up with.

It will definitely cost some teams some games if it continues the way it has in preseason. I said it after the first preseason game that this is the first time in 40 years that im starting to consider not watching the sport any longer. Im all for safety but at some point there has to be logical understanding that this game is physical and people can and will get hurt from time to time. They may as well move to flag football just to be the absolute safest they can be, well i dont know maybe the players will hurt a fingernail or something so maybe thats out too. Lol

Freyaka
08-21-2018, 12:13 PM
As for your questions about "when's the last time you've seen an NHL Player..." The NHL doesn't really have a concussion problem. It's a violent sport, but not one known for a lot of head trauma.

It's been a pretty well known fact for decades that getting punched in the head a lot is going to have negative long term impacts, it wasn't as well known in the NFL until recently.

Broncoknight30
08-21-2018, 12:38 PM
As for your questions about "when's the last time you've seen an NHL Player..." The NHL doesn't really have a concussion problem. It's a violent sport, but not one known for a lot of head trauma.

It's been a pretty well known fact for decades that getting punched in the head a lot is going to have negative long term impacts, it wasn't as well known in the NFL until recently.

https://europepmc.org/abstract/med/11740291

There were 559 physician-diagnosed, regular-season, in-game concussions among NHL team players reported during the seven years of study. The mean number of concussions per year was 80, with an overall game rate of 5.8 concussions per 100 players per season (Table 1).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3091898/

NightTerror218
08-21-2018, 12:49 PM
They over do the calling in the preseason. If it looks like it but results are not there they call it. Like leading with helmet but connecting with shoulder.. Aka sack on QB but flagged this preseason . The player lowered head so they flagged it. In real games they would only call if they connect with helmet. Trying to curb they motion of lowering head IMO.

MOtorboat
08-21-2018, 12:52 PM
Because women’s soccer and the NHL don’t own a day of the week. ESPN doesn’t do exposés on women’s soccer because no one would watch.

Is it fair? Maybe not. But the NFL makes billions of dollars, so they’re going to be put under the microscope.

MOtorboat
08-21-2018, 12:59 PM
Also, here’s Outside the Lines talking about concussions in the NHL, MLB and soccer:

https://youtu.be/7rNPh488SCc

slim
08-21-2018, 01:00 PM
MO, have you ever had a concussion?

MOtorboat
08-21-2018, 01:03 PM

I don’t think so, slim.

Shazam!
08-21-2018, 01:04 PM
Maybe we need more women players, everyone has to wear identical tutus and just throw rainbow colored towels at each other. Soft, fluffy towels. Not the rough abrasive kind. In fact, competitive sports in general.

slim
I don’t think so, slim.

I bet Cugal has had quite a few.

Shazam!
I've had a few. I'm ok.

Hawgdriver
08-21-2018, 03:31 PM
I bet Cugal has had quite a few.

Is that the guy that invented the exercise involving big eggs and squeezing the ol' jellyroll?

ChubbNYiadom
08-21-2018, 08:34 PM
This new rule is 100% bullshit, how the hell do you lower your shoulder without your head? It's physically impossible! How cant you make a violent gam non violent? How can you legislate football out of football?

Spiritguy
08-22-2018, 12:25 PM
this article makes it seem like the call is "routine" but I'm wondering if there is more to it. :confused:

The league's new helmet rule has generated its share of criticism and vitriol.

Weeks away from games that matter, the NFL plans to take a closer look at those newfangled guidelines.

A Competition Committee conference call has been scheduled for Wednesday, in which the helmet rule will be discussed, a source briefed on the plans told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.

Discussions will include an update on what the league has learned through the first two weeks of the preseason. "No major changes to the rule are anticipated, but efforts to achieve clarity and consistency will continue," Rapoport noted, adding that "new videos or teaching materials" could be leveraged to help officials on the field. More here: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000949992/article/competition-committee-to-discuss-helmet-rule-wed

wayninja
08-22-2018, 12:51 PM
Brandon Perna is awesome. And he's right, this rule sucks balls.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-22-2018, 09:31 PM
The NFL's competition committee issued a narrow clarification Wednesday to its controversial helmet rule but made no substantive alterations during a previously scheduled conference call.

According to a statement released by NFL executive vice president of football operations Troy Vincent, the committee resolved "that there will be no changes to the rule as approved by clubs this spring, which includes no additional use of instant replay." But Vincent added, "The committee also determined that inadvertent or incidental contact with the helmet and/or face mask is not a foul."

rest - http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24448104/nfl-says-not-make-changes-helmet-rule

Dzone
08-22-2018, 09:35 PM
ESPN wants to make soccer the national pastime of America. They also consider hot dog eating a sport :elefant:

Davii
08-22-2018, 10:16 PM

I'm on at least 7.

Valar Morghulis
08-22-2018, 11:32 PM
I'm on at least 7.

I've had two confirmed.

Once when I was battered whist sleeping. That was pretty brutal

The other was when we were in Wales on a training exercise, I was point man and tasked with getting us down into a valley in total darkness. The thing about old nvgs is that they were not great at depth perception, I basically fell of the edge, fell about 10 feet. My behavior was strange, I threw my Bergen all the way down (but miraculously found it at the bottom) and eventually we started to patrol again, sticking me towards the end of the order of march, but I went missing. They doubled back and found me a few minutes later just walking round in a small circle with no idea if it was new year or new york (it was neither, that's just an expression)

I maintain to this day that a decision two minutes before we hit the ridge saved my life, the old radios were heavy and our radop was struggling, so I was in the process of taking it and sticking out in the top compartment of my Bergen, at the last minute the section commander took it as I was carrying enough. Had I carried it, it would have smashed straight into my skull when I landed.

I am sure I have had more though

wayninja
08-22-2018, 11:41 PM
Nice job not killing yourself Dave

I've had 2 as well, but they are way more boring than yours. When I was about 7 years old, I tried to catch my brother who was hanging from a punching bag hook in our basement on linoleum (over concrete) and socks. As I caught him, my feet went out from under me and I landed on my back and smashed my head hard into the ground. I don't remember much after that, but I guess that's sorta the point.

The other was when I was about 14 and playing no-pads tackle football with a few friends, which, in retrospect, is dumb AF. I made the tackle and ate an elbow to the temple as we hit the ground. I don't think it was super serious, as I was mentally basically all there, but my pupils were asymmetrically dilated and I was unnaturally tired, which are pretty common symptoms.

Davii
08-23-2018, 12:25 AM
I've had two confirmed.

The other was when we were in Wales on a training exercise, I was point man and tasked with getting us down into a valley in total darkness. The thing about old nvgs is that they were not great at depth perception, I basically fell of the edge, fell about 10 feet. My behavior was strange, I threw my Bergen all the way down (but miraculously found it at the bottom) and eventually we started to patrol again, sticking me towards the end of the order of march, but I went missing. They doubled back and found me a few minutes later just walking round in a small circle with no idea if it was new year or new york (it was neither, that's just an expression)

I maintain to this day that a decision two minutes before we hit the ridge saved my life, the old radios were heavy and our radop was struggling, so I was in the process of taking it and sticking out in the top compartment of my Bergen, at the last minute the section commander took it as I was carrying enough. Had I carried it, it would have smashed straight into my skull when I landed.

4 non-deployment (3 sports, one motorcycle wreck, only two of those officially diagnosed), 3 in combat only one officially diagnosed.

The one diagnosed was similar to yours in that it was a fall, about 10 feet, in full gear with ammo, weapon, etc. I was working on an antenna and lost my footing. I was loopy for a few hours afterward.

I do have TBI as one of my official diagnoses.

sneakers
08-23-2018, 06:03 AM
just make the whole helmet all facemask

BeefStew25
08-23-2018, 08:57 AM
I’ve had three all from hoops.

It’s weird as eff. Nothing makes sense.

BroncoJoe
08-23-2018, 09:07 AM
I’ve had three all from hoops.

It’s weird as eff. Nothing makes sense.

Huh. I would have guessed that you'd have had more than three.

Freyaka
08-23-2018, 09:18 AM

He's not counting the times dropped head first when younger.

BeefStew25
08-23-2018, 09:30 AM

Maybe I have. 8th grade. Senior in high school. Senior in college.

BeefStew25
08-23-2018, 09:32 AM
He's not counting the times dropped head first when younger.

Kansas. Man.

Freyaka
08-23-2018, 09:36 AM
Kansas. Man.

I can't control where I was born, I'm a Colorado native that got born and raised in the wrong state. That's the way I feel about it anyway. If I had a choice, I'd be in Colorado, until then i'm stuck in this cesspool.

BeefStew25
08-23-2018, 09:43 AM
I can't control where I was born, I'm a Colorado native that got born and raised in the wrong state. That's the way I feel about it anyway. If I had a choice, I'd be in Colorado, until then i'm stuck in this cesspool.

Ok. You own it. That’s fair.

Freyaka
08-23-2018, 10:06 AM
Ok. You own it. That’s fair.

Dude...You don't have to tell me how stupid people in this state are...I spent 35 years here... 35 years listening to these idiots talk about how great their football team is each year is enough to drive a man mad.

BeefStew25
08-23-2018, 10:37 AM
Dude...You don't have to tell me how stupid people in this state are...I spent 35 years here... 35 years listening to these idiots talk about how great their football team is each year is enough to drive a man mad.

How’s the soybean market

Freyaka
08-23-2018, 10:45 AM
How’s the soybean market

Only thing I ever see around here is wheat, corn and alfalfa...

I'm surrounded by wheat fields...Harvest time destroys my allergies. I hate this freaking state...

BroncoTech
08-24-2018, 01:39 PM
Well if you're intent on making 42 minutes of football last 3:30 hours and make it a little safer you could just ban running. Everyone would be allowed to speed walk and no special rules for tackling etc because the guys are just walking around. Also hilarious is the fact the players would quit burning calories so each week they would get bigger and bigger.

NightTrainLayne
08-24-2018, 03:26 PM
I opened the thread to these two posts, and my brain instantly went to "kills" instead of "concussions". :)

I'm on at least 7.

I've had two confirmed.

Davii
08-24-2018, 03:28 PM
I opened the thread to these two posts, and my brain instantly went to "kills" instead of "concussions". :)

Dave has WAY more than two confirmed kills on hookers alone, nevermind combat!

NightTrainLayne
08-24-2018, 03:45 PM
Dave has WAY more than two confirmed kills on hookers alone, nevermind combat!

Pretty sure it was still considered combat.

Broncoknight30
08-26-2018, 11:08 AM
This play was fined by the NFL after it was reviewed.

https://youtu.be/ZVpwu7wrC80

Its close for me fellas. It is a real possibility I won't be watching the NFL anymore.

They even reviewed it. This after the mass complaints of the new rule and how pathetic it is. Not only did they do nothing, but justified a fine for that play.

ChubbNYiadom
08-26-2018, 09:03 PM

Its close for me fellas. It is a real possibility I won't be watching the NFL anymore.

They even reviewed it. This after the mass complaints of the new rule and how pathetic it is. Not only did they do nothing, but justified a fine for that play.

Im with you man, if this goes into the regular season I will take football out of my life.

Davii
08-26-2018, 09:26 PM

Denver Native (Carol)
08-27-2018, 09:32 AM
Flags for the NFL's controversial helmet rule dropped significantly in Week 3 of the preseason, the first set of games after the league issued a narrow clarification of its intent.

Overall, penalties for lowering the helmet to initiate contact dropped 64 percent, according to ESPN Stats & Information tracking. There were nine penalties in 16 games in Week 3, an average of 0.56 per game.

In the first two weeks of the preseason, officials threw 51 flags in 33 games for an average of 1.55 per game.

Many NFL rule changes peak in frequency during the preseason and then fall into a more sustainable pattern during the early part of the regular season. But the sudden drop in helmet-rule calls could be attributed to a competition-committee decision made and announced on Wednesday.

Although the committee declined to change the substance of the rule, it did make clear "that inadvertent or incidental contact with the helmet and/or face mask is not a foul."

rest - http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24490045/helmet-flags-decrease-64-percent-nfl-preseason-week-3

Tbolt
08-28-2018, 01:52 PM
I have had two concussions that I am aware of. First, when I was 8, I hit a rock,flipped me off my bike, and I landed on my head. Had to drag myself home before I passed out. Then once playing football, took on a much bigger teammate, cracked helmets head on. The coach then slapped my helmet and told everyone else that's how to do it. I was seeing stars. Got headaches after that. Not a concussion, but was too near some concussive blasts in the military and now have ear problems, but who knows what else that messes up.

As to the NFL, I am more pissed they levied a fine. That was not a helmet hit. I have NO idea what product we are going to get this year, but signed up for the Sunday ticket anyway since I am out of market and the reddit thing sucked last year. Plus I got it pretty cheap by threatening to leave. So very close to not ordering it though after the preseason. I guess we will see.

Freyaka
08-28-2018, 02:06 PM
I have had two concussions that I am aware of. First, when I was 8, I hit a rock,flipped me off my bike, and I landed on my head. Had to drag myself home before I passed out. Then once playing football, took on a much bigger teammate, cracked helmets head on. The coach then slapped my helmet and told everyone else that's how to do it. I was seeing stars. Got headaches after that. Not a concussion, but was too near some concussive blasts in the military and now have ear problems, but who knows what else that messes up.

As to the NFL, I am more pissed they levied a fine. That was not a helmet hit. I have NO idea what product we are going to get this year, but signed up for the Sunday ticket anyway since I am out of market and the reddit thing sucked last year. Plus I got it pretty cheap by threatening to leave. So very close to not ordering it though after the preseason. I guess we will see.

To be clear, the penalty mentioned in the perna video above was not because of the new helmet rule. It was because of a rule that you cannot throw the QB to the ground with your body weight, an equally dumb rule.

ChubbNYiadom
08-28-2018, 04:05 PM
Good job with them seeming like they're toning down the flags going into the season.

BroncoWave
08-28-2018, 04:44 PM
Good job with them seeming like they're toning down the flags going into the season.

This is what every rational person was saying would happen among all the bellyaching.

spikerman
08-28-2018, 04:58 PM

I like the call.

Tbolt
08-28-2018, 05:41 PM
To be clear, the penalty mentioned in the perna video above was not because of the new helmet rule. It was because of a rule that you cannot throw the QB to the ground with your body weight, an equally dumb rule.

I meant to clarify that the rule was not a helmet hit rule, but an even worse rule, but got distracted while typing that out. The fact the NFL found that fine worry is what concerns me heading into the season. This is a make or break year for the NFL as far as my household is concerned.

ChubbNYiadom
08-28-2018, 10:24 PM
This is what every rational person was saying would happen among all the bellyaching.

Yeah but it was brutal to the point I honestly didn't watch any pre season football outside of a few quarters of Broncos replays. I was already in disengaged mode.

Broncoknight30
08-29-2018, 07:34 AM
I like the call.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/pee-wee-omg.gif

spikerman
08-29-2018, 04:12 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/pee-wee-omg.gif

It’s true. Good call.

wayninja
08-30-2018, 12:13 PM
It’s true. Good call.

You like the call, or you like the rule, or both?

Broncoknight30
08-30-2018, 12:24 PM

I thought he was being sarcastic. Now, I am thinking he is serious. Along with the others that agreed with him.

Its discouraging isn't it? That someone would think that was a good call and not only that, but worthy of a fine.

Weird times we are living in.

wayninja
08-30-2018, 12:30 PM
I think the call is fine. I think the rule sucks.

What else can refs do other than call the rules as they've been conveyed by the rules committee? I haven't seen the actual full text of the rule, but the summary I've seen suggests that the hit did have the defender unnecessarily land on the QB, in violation of this new rule. A new rule, which flat out sucks balls.

spikerman
08-30-2018, 02:44 PM

As the rule is written, that’s a foul. The call was correct.

spikerman
08-30-2018, 02:45 PM
I thought he was being sarcastic. Now, I am thinking he is serious. Along with the others that agreed with him.

Its discouraging isn't it? That someone would think that was a good call and not only that, but worthy of a fine.

Weird times we are living in.

Definitely being serious. The officials can only enforce the rules. They are not represented on the Rules Committee.

BroncoJoe
08-30-2018, 05:31 PM
Definitely being serious. The officials can only enforce the rules. They are not represented on the Rules Committee.

They should be!

MOtorboat
08-30-2018, 05:50 PM
They should be!

Players aren’t, either.