PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Broncos take a hard-line stance for backup qb

ShaneFalco
08-19-2018, 07:51 PM
https://twitter.com/RyanKoenigsberg/status/1031178973663965185

Nomad
08-19-2018, 08:01 PM
What did the players say? Clicked on the link, but it wants you to create account.

ShaneFalco
08-19-2018, 08:05 PM
What did the players say? Clicked on the link, but it wants you to create account.

some players seem to feel that he may have a bigger future ahead of him than just being the #2 guy.

Nomad
08-19-2018, 08:14 PM
some players seem to feel that he may have a bigger future ahead of him than just being the #2 guy.

Hopefully the QB controversy stays out of the Broncos locker room, and they all get behind Keenum. He is & will be the starter. Kelly is doing good things, though.

Hawgdriver
08-19-2018, 08:19 PM
Hopefully the QB controversy stays out of the Broncos locker room, and they all get behind Keenum. He is & will be the starter. Kelly is doing good things, though.

Hopefully next week Case leads the team down the field for a quick TD and sits, giving Kelly some time with the 1s to see what his legit ability is at this point in time. He's looked damn good. I'm fine with 2 QBs on the roster.

Tned
08-19-2018, 08:21 PM
Hopefully next week Case leads the team down the field for a quick TD and sits, giving Kelly some time with the 1s to see what his legit ability is at this point in time. He's looked damn good. I'm fine with 2 QBs on the roster.

I doubt Kelly will get any time with the ones.

aberdien
08-19-2018, 08:22 PM
I don't see any benefit to signing a veteran QB.

We roll with CK²

BroncoWave
08-19-2018, 08:24 PM
I don't see any benefit to signing a veteran QB.

We roll with CK²

I see the benefit if there were a good veteran out there, but there really isn't. Unless he just faceplants over the next 2 weeks, I think we ride with Kelly.

Hawgdriver
08-19-2018, 08:27 PM
I doubt Kelly will get any time with the ones.

Doesn't it make sense though? Backup QB is critical if you think you will contend. You don't want Case hurt. Maybe you need a vet, but ... maybe not? You gotta figure it out. Plus, if Chad can play at a minimal level of NFL competence, why not get him game experience during the season this year, when it might be a bumpy ride anyway?

aberdien
08-19-2018, 08:36 PM
I don't see why you would waste time on a veteran backup when you could be seeing what Swaggy C has to offer if necessary.

Nomad
08-19-2018, 08:37 PM

I'd to see what he does with the #1s, and against a starting defense.

BeefStew25
08-19-2018, 08:39 PM
****** Swag

Valar Morghulis
08-19-2018, 10:52 PM
A veteran back up is our starter

Tned
08-19-2018, 11:42 PM
Doesn't it make sense though? Backup QB is critical if you think you will contend. You don't want Case hurt. Maybe you need a vet, but ... maybe not? You gotta figure it out. Plus, if Chad can play at a minimal level of NFL competence, why not get him game experience during the season this year, when it might be a bumpy ride anyway?

Just not what most NFL teams do. Yea, I would love to see him run with the ones, but what we will likely see is Case and the starters play about two and a half quarters and then Kelly and the second team finish out. That's pretty standard for game three.

MOtorboat
08-20-2018, 12:23 AM
A veteran back up is our starter

This is true.

The Broncos don’t need a veteran backup, they need to let the young guy play. You see this more in the NBA than in the NFL, but you don’t need a veteran, just let the young dog eat.

Hawgdriver
08-20-2018, 01:00 AM
Just not what most NFL teams do. Yea, I would love to see him run with the ones, but what we will likely see is Case and the starters play about two and a half quarters and then Kelly and the second team finish out. That's pretty standard for game three.

I know it's the norm, but doesn't that seem wrong in this case?

Valar Morghulis
08-20-2018, 01:07 AM
I know it's the norm, but doesn't that seem wrong in this case?

The reason they won't do it, is simply to avoid any form of qb controversy.

Hawgdriver
08-20-2018, 01:13 AM

That makes sense. Elway probably drank battery acid for breakfast during the Tebow era.

MOtorboat
08-20-2018, 01:16 AM
That makes sense. Elway probably drank battery acid for breakfast during the Tebow era.

Didn’t everyone?

Hawgdriver
08-20-2018, 01:20 AM
Didn’t everyone?

Those games were dramatic.

Tned
08-20-2018, 07:27 AM

That, and based on the two preseason games, Keenum and the first team offense need game time to continue to gel. It's not like we have a well oiled machine and have the luxury of sitting the starting QB to give the young Turk some snaps. That first team offense clearly needs game snaps to continue to improve.

Hawgdriver
08-20-2018, 09:43 AM
That, and based on the two preseason games, Keenum and the first team offense need game time to continue to gel. It's not like we have a well oiled machine and have the luxury of sitting the starting QB to give the young Turk some snaps. That first team offense clearly needs game snaps to continue to improve.

But that was covered by the "if Case marches down the field and scores a TD" part. If not, give him more reps.

Hopefully next week Case leads the team down the field for a quick TD and sits

Tned
08-20-2018, 09:49 AM
But that was covered by the "if Case marches down the field and scores a TD" part. If not, give him more reps.

I hear you, I've just never seen that. I don't think they even did that with Manning as starter.

The Glue Factory
08-20-2018, 12:46 PM
I hear you, I've just never seen that. I don't think they even did that with Manning as starter.

Or Elway - the winningest QB in Broncos history.

slim
08-20-2018, 12:51 PM
Didn’t everyone?

Mike Tomlin did!

MOtorboat
08-20-2018, 12:55 PM
#slimgator

BeefStew25
08-20-2018, 01:01 PM
Those games were dramatic.

Remember when Tebow looked off the safety in the Jets game?

Tned
08-20-2018, 01:38 PM
Remember when Tebow looked off the safety in the Jets game?

Remember when Tebow beat Pitt in the playoffs?

slim
08-20-2018, 01:41 PM
Do you guys remember when Mo used to Tebow at every tailgate?

MOtorboat
08-20-2018, 01:44 PM
Do you guys remember when Mo used to Tebow at every tailgate?

I had to go into therapy.

slim
08-20-2018, 01:45 PM

You have to learn to love yourself before you can love Tebow.

MOtorboat
08-20-2018, 01:46 PM
You have to learn to love yourself before you can love Tebow.

I love John Elway and Peyton Manning. Final answer.

TXBRONC
08-20-2018, 01:51 PM

When Keenum comes off the field all so will the rest of the ones.

BeefStew25
08-20-2018, 02:22 PM

Never apologize for making the playoffs.

MOtorboat
08-20-2018, 02:29 PM
Never apologize for making the playoffs.

I love Von Miller.

BeefStew25
08-20-2018, 05:18 PM
I love Von Miller.

Both are true.

Colorado4Life
08-20-2018, 09:29 PM
Case Keenum should do pretty well this season but like Trevor Siemian, Paxton Lynch, Kyle Orton, Brian Griese, he just isn’t going to be too exciting to watch for me personally. I want someone more like John Elway, Jake Plummer, Jay Cutler, Tim Tebow or Peyton Manning who regardless of their skill and athleticism level bring passion and enthusiasm and show they really want to be on the field. Right now the Broncos have one quarterback who I truly think is fun to watch win or lose because he gives it everything he has and maybe its because he screwed up royally in the past but regardless Chad Kelly makes the Broncos fun to watch again so hopefully he will get his opportunity sooner then later.

NightTerror218
08-21-2018, 01:40 PM
Case Keenum should do pretty well this season but like Trevor Siemian, Paxton Lynch, Kyle Orton, Brian Griese, he just isn’t going to be too exciting to watch for me personally. I want someone more like John Elway, Jake Plummer, Jay Cutler, Tim Tebow or Peyton Manning who regardless of their skill and athleticism level bring passion and enthusiasm and show they really want to be on the field. Right now the Broncos have one quarterback who I truly think is fun to watch win or lose because he gives it everything he has and maybe its because he screwed up royally in the past but regardless Chad Kelly makes the Broncos fun to watch again so hopefully he will get his opportunity sooner then later.

Which I think he could develop into a good QB. Slow route could work for him. I want him to get a long look in games 3 and 4 before a vet is added.