PDA

View Full Version : What Percentage Chance Do You Give Of Chad Kelly Becoming the Broncos Starter This Season?

Cugel
08-19-2018, 01:13 PM
It struck me after the last pre-season game that there is now a good chance, I'd estimate it at about 50% of Chad Kelly becoming the Broncos starter before the end of this season.

And it's not just what we saw in a meaningless pre-season game against a #2 Bears defense that might quite frankly not be very good.

Yes, that throw in a tight window right down the middle to Courtland Sutton is one that Paxton Lynch would never make in 1,000 years. He wouldn't dare.

At this point, I hope the Broncos don't go out and get a veteran QB to be the backup. I'd say there's a good chance that Chad Kelly is the Broncos starting QB by the end of this season. And it's not because he'll be better at any point than Case Keenum.

Even if Keenum is mediocre, he'd still probably perform better as a long term veteran who's played on several different teams and in different systems, than Kelly as a rookie. So, if they do make the switch, it will probably be for a different reason.

No joke. If Case Keenum doesn't have a good year, the team will struggle. If they are losing and out of the playoffs at some point they will want to see what they've got with Chad Kelly. I.E. he could become the starter. Especially, if Vance Joseph is fired during the season, but potentially, even if he is not.

I'd say about 50-50 at this point. You can see them getting it all under control and winning enough games to save Joseph's job, and again you can see them winning 6 games all year, and VJ getting fired at the bye-week.

If it's the latter, or if at some point, Vance is still the coach, but the team is out of the playoffs, then they are going to blow up the team and start over with the younger players. Chad Kelly could easily be the center, most important player on this team in 2 or 3 years.

I'm not predicting that Keenum will struggle, or that Joesph will be fired. I'd say the odds are about 1 in 2 though. I am uncertain how the season will go.

I've heard many sportswriters say that, talent wise, this is an 8-8 team. Well, it it's an 8-8 team just based on analysis of pure talent, the what is it taking coaching into account? Does VJ win them a couple of games and they go 10-6? Or does he lose them a couple of games and they go 6-10?

I can see it going either way. So, I assign a 50% probability that Chad Kelly becomes the starting QB at some point (probably late) in the season.

What probability do you give it?

sneakers
08-19-2018, 01:46 PM
barring injury 3%

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-19-2018, 02:00 PM
barring injury 3%

Sounds about right

atwater27
08-19-2018, 02:11 PM
If Denver is winning consistently Chad won’t sniff the field, regardless of how good or bad Keenum plays. A 3 game losing streak that isn’t the defenses fault? Swag is born.

Nomad
08-19-2018, 02:19 PM
Winning or losing, Chad Kelly won't see the field unless Keenum gets hurt, then again, would Elway try to find a veteran QB sitting on the couch? We saw last year that VJ is very hesitate to pull the starting QB for losing.

Hawgdriver
08-19-2018, 02:26 PM
In general the NFL uses 50-60 starting QBs per season. There is a decent chance your backup starts a game.

Shazam!
08-19-2018, 02:30 PM
IF the offense becomes putrid over a few games or Case gets hurt. I don't think it will happen. I believe Denver has their QB of the future. I love him. I am excited.

Northman
08-19-2018, 04:18 PM
25%.

Because of what Keenum did with Minny last year i dont see the Broncos pulling the plug on him if he has some bad games. But if Case gets hurt than i can see Kelly coming in and playing at that point.

ShaneFalco
08-19-2018, 08:00 PM
its unfair to be up against this much swag.

BroncoWave
08-19-2018, 08:03 PM
In general the NFL uses 50-60 starting QBs per season. There is a decent chance your backup starts a game.

About where I see it as well. I'd say it's more likely than not that your qb will miss a game at some point during the season, so I'd put Kelly's chance of starting a game this year right around a coin toss. I'd be pretty surprised if he started a game due to Keenum's performance, but anything is possible I guess.

ShaneFalco
08-19-2018, 08:06 PM
https://i.makeagif.com/media/4-16-2015/9QCcyr.gif

TXBRONC
08-20-2018, 07:58 AM
Barring injury, I don't see it happening.

BroncoJoe
08-20-2018, 08:44 AM
Well, someone has sure changed their stance on Kelly...

broncofaninfla
08-20-2018, 10:04 AM
The only scenarios that I can see Kelly playing in the regular season is Case getting hurt or Kelly continuing to play good during the preseason and Case plays poorly and becomes a liability to the team. I will add that I think Kelly has the best arm on the team but Cases experience makes him the best option to play right now.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-20-2018, 08:43 PM
I picked 25% but I think it’s closer to zero. If Keenum is terrible, VJ gets fired, and we are well out of playoff contention, then it’s a possibility. Unless Keenum is either injured or can be squarely blamed for our losing, I doubt swag will see the field.

Cugel
08-21-2018, 04:58 PM
About where I see it as well. I'd say it's more likely than not that your qb will miss a game at some point during the season, so I'd put Kelly's chance of starting a game this year right around a coin toss. I'd be pretty surprised if he started a game due to Keenum's performance, but anything is possible I guess.

I wasn't taking Keenum injury into account with this poll.

I was thinking that we don't really know whether this team is coming together, the offensive line will be better, the running game will be fixed, the WRs other than Sanders & DT will make an impact, the TEs will actually catch passes - or not.

And defensively, will Wade's departure continue to hurt the team? Will Joe Woods develop into an adequate DC? Will the loss of Talib doom their chances of being a dominant secondary? Is there any real CB talent on the roster behind Harris and Roby?

Will Bradley Chubb have an impact season? Will the pass rush be improved to where teams can't just triple-team Von Miller?

And will Vance Joseph manage to become a good coach in his second year?

Lots of questions, few answers. That's why I rate the chances of a melt-down as a coin toss.

And if it's a coin toss, then there's a 50% chance Kelly will see the field just because they have to make a decision whether to go back to the draft in 2019 and use a high #1 draft pick on a QB - or not. The "not" portion of that equation means Kelly has shown enough that they don't feel the need of another developmental QB.

I sure hope that Keenum has another great year, but realistically there is a significant chance he won't. Most outside observers take it for granted that Keenum is just a backup QB who had a good year with a good team and will instantly return to mediocre at best for a pretty bad Broncos team.

That is the national perception about the Broncos. Also-rans in the division.

Hawgdriver
08-21-2018, 05:08 PM
Maybe say 'Odds that Kelly unseats Keenum this season?' instead of the long ass thing you wrote?

Odds of that are about zero this year. Kelly will play if Keenum is injured.

wayninja
08-21-2018, 05:43 PM
100%. Keenum will lose the first 5 games and the newly appointed/interim headcoach will cave to pressure and play swag.

Also, I'm wrong about 99% of the time.

FanInAZ
08-21-2018, 05:52 PM
I went with 25% because I figure that about the odds of a QB missing at least 1 game due to concussion protocol.

ShaneFalco
08-21-2018, 07:01 PM
It's not out of the question that Chad Kelly could replace Keenum as the Broncos' starting quarterback at some point this year. Kelly was tremendous once again. He entered the game ahead of Paxton Lynch in the middle of the second quarter. His first real throw was a touchdown to Sutton, a 16-yard dart that was on the money down the seam. On the next possession, Kelly had a nice completion after bootlegging left. The receiver, upon review, didn't get both feet inbounds, but a better player would have been able to do so. Kelly shook it off by hitting Tim Patrick with a great touch pass for 27 yards.

Kelly's next drive featured a pass where he fit a ball into a tight window on a slant to Brian Parker. He then showed good arm strength on a throw outside the numbers where only his receiver could catch it. Kelly made a rare mistake after that, barely missing Patrick on a fade deep down the sideline.

Kelly finished 7-of-9 for 90 yards and a touchdown. He's been a great surprise for the Broncos, and if he keeps this up, the fans will be calling for him to start if Keenum struggles.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/preseason2018week2.php#vv6rWOL1Eq3AeLM8.99

http://walterfootball.com/preseason2018week2.php

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/105/526/de2.gif

Hawgdriver
08-21-2018, 07:21 PM
http://walterfootball.com/preseason2018week2.php

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/105/526/de2.gif

I would straight up prefer Kelly is our starter bc he's the type of QB that makes football football.

I just don't see it with Elway, VJ, and VJs interim replacement. Elway won't blow it up. Keenum would have to be ... Like he was 6/7 years.

That cpt picard gif is 10/10.

ChubbNYiadom
08-21-2018, 08:26 PM
The only way Chad starts is if case goes down and Bridgewater goes down.

ChubbNYiadom
08-21-2018, 08:27 PM
I wasn't taking Keenum injury into account with this poll.

I was thinking that we don't really know whether this team is coming together, the offensive line will be better, the running game will be fixed, the WRs other than Sanders & DT will make an impact, the TEs will actually catch passes - or not.

And defensively, will Wade's departure continue to hurt the team? Will Joe Woods develop into an adequate DC? Will the loss of Talib doom their chances of being a dominant secondary? Is there any real CB talent on the roster behind Harris and Roby?

Will Bradley Chubb have an impact season? Will the pass rush be improved to where teams can't just triple-team Von Miller?

And will Vance Joseph manage to become a good coach in his second year?

Lots of questions, few answers. That's why I rate the chances of a melt-down as a coin toss.

And if it's a coin toss, then there's a 50% chance Kelly will see the field just because they have to make a decision whether to go back to the draft in 2019 and use a high #1 draft pick on a QB - or not. The "not" portion of that equation means Kelly has shown enough that they don't feel the need of another developmental QB.

I sure hope that Keenum has another great year, but realistically there is a significant chance he won't. Most outside observers take it for granted that Keenum is just a backup QB who had a good year with a good team and will instantly return to mediocre at best for a pretty bad Broncos team.

That is the national perception about the Broncos. Also-rans in the division.

The wideouts other than Thomas and Sanders will have an impact? What?

wayninja
08-21-2018, 10:06 PM
The wideouts other than Thomas and Sanders will have an impact? What?

What didn't you understand about the musing?

Hawgdriver
08-21-2018, 10:20 PM
That moment when you realize you called Ron Paul Captain Picard.

wayninja
08-22-2018, 09:26 AM
I was wondering if there was a joke in there I wasn't getting. As is usually the case.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-22-2018, 11:39 AM
I was wondering if there was a joke in there I wasn't getting. As is usually the case.

I also assumed it was deliberate...

NightTerror218
08-22-2018, 11:44 AM
Only if keenum gets hurt and he balls out next to games. He has zero NFL season exp. He is last ditch effort to see field with a couple months of playbook time and 2 games in 1.5 years

Hawgdriver
08-22-2018, 12:18 PM
I also assumed it was deliberate...

It was just this one time. I promise. No need to restate my past financial statements guys.

Mr. Paul, I was drinking a Fugli. Please forgive me. Big fan. Mr. Stewart, ditto.

Timmy!
08-22-2018, 06:00 PM
6.8723439%

Cugel
08-22-2018, 08:22 PM
Maybe say 'Odds that Kelly unseats Keenum this season?' instead of the long ass thing you wrote?

Odds of that are about zero this year. Kelly will play if Keenum is injured.

That would be a stupid question. There is ZERO Chance Kelly would "supplant Keenum."

Obviously IF Keenum plays well Kelly will never see the field - yes, unless Keenum is injured.
Even if Keenum struggles, he's still obviously better than rookie Chad Kelly who has never started an NFL game.

MY POINT was about a completely different matter: what chance they will put Kelly in IF

1. The team is out of contention late in the season and
2. they have to see what they have in Kelly because Elway has to decide whether Kelly is his future franchise QB, or whether he has to go out in the first round in the 2019 draft and draft a QB.

Kind of like the debate about why they didn't put in Paxton Lynch because the team had already seen that Siemian was never going to be a long term franchise QB, and they needed to find out about Lynch.

Unless he really plays well, Keenum is a "transition QB" in Elway's words. Elway is still looking for a long-term answer at QB. Keenum could become that QB if he plays well enough and the team wins of course. I, like every Broncos fan hopes he does.

But, he could be mediocre or the team could just lose enough games they are eliminated from Playoff contention. At that point they would have to put in Chad Kelly to see what they have in him so as to evaluate whether they need to go back in the first round next year and draft a QB.

The entire Keenum experiment was an effort to AVOID doing that - drafting a 1st round QB and developing him for a couple of years. Elway would prefer that if he has to replace Keenum it be Chad Kelly to short-cut the developmental process.

slim
08-22-2018, 08:34 PM
Hi Cugal

Hawgdriver
08-22-2018, 10:29 PM
Gotcha.

wayninja
08-22-2018, 11:46 PM
That would be a stupid question. There is ZERO Chance Kelly would "supplant Keenum."

Zero? Really? Zero? That's what you are going with? Ok, tell you what. Give me 100,000 to 1 on those odds. I'll bet a quarter.

SoCalImport
08-23-2018, 06:43 AM
Yeah. Keanum would have to cost us a few consecutive losses in a row for that to happen. It's possible but less than 25%.
I'd say 10%

BeefStew25
08-23-2018, 08:51 AM
Chad Sloter has a long way to go guys. Let’s not do this every year.

ChubbNYiadom
08-23-2018, 09:03 PM
Chad Sloter has a long way to go guys. Let’s not do this every year.

It's really unbelievable how this happens every year with these pre season undrafted guys.

slim
08-23-2018, 09:08 PM
It's really unbelievable how this happens every year with these pre season undrafted guys.

Chad was drafted, just like your boy Paxton.

Hawgdriver
08-23-2018, 09:19 PM
I'm going to go back and read some of Yash's 2016/17 evangelizing for Lynch. It's properly aged now and will pair well with prosciutto and disparagement.

G_Money
08-23-2018, 09:28 PM
Somewhere north of zero percent... but not very far north.

Part of it is injury chance, because I think he'll be the #2 - which is a very large vote of confidence, btw.

Part of it is the Vance Joseph Effect, whereby the whole team can crater at any moment under the slightest of adversity. If they tank the last couple of weeks I could see Chad getting a start.

I'm watching Mayfield play for the Browns right now and don't see anything he does w the ball that Kelly can't do. I certainly hope Chad doesn't get any starts this year though. I'd like him to learn behind Case Keenum for at least this year, getting 2nd team reps, talking to Case about everything he sees on the field and picking his brain for this season.

The arm is there, but I'd like Denver not to suck, and for Kelly to have a chance to absorb the NFL above the shoulders.

FanInAZ
08-23-2018, 10:28 PM
I think 1 of the problems we're having here is that some are answering the question in the thread title ("What Percentage Chance Do You Give Of Chad Kelly Becoming the Broncos Starter This Season?"), while others (like me) answered the actual poll question ("What percent chance do you give Chad Kelly starts a game for the Broncos this year (regular season)?").

My answer to the poll question is...

I went with 25% because I figure that about the odds of a QB missing at least 1 game due to concussion protocol.

My response to the question in the thread title is to abstain because I've watched enough football over the years that anything is possible on any given Sunday in the NFL. I, as well as a number others that have posted responses in this thread, would have voted for less then 10% if given the option. This would've been because...

a) ..., like I've said in at least 1 or 2 other threads, I'm still giving him the benefit of the doubt that last season may be an indication that he may have finally putting it all together. Furthermore, it doesn't worry me that he may still need a little more time to sync up with his new coaches & teammates.

b) ...tearing up 2nd & 3rd string Ds during preseason isn't as great of an accomplishment as some would want to make it out to be, assuming of course that Kelly’s performance qualifies as "tearing it up." In the 1 game that I saw him in, vs the Vikings, I would only rate him as effective vs their scrubs. I couldn't watch the last game, so I have no opinion on how he did against the Bears' back-ups.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-23-2018, 10:34 PM
I'm going to go back and read some of Yash's 2016/17 evangelizing for Lynch. It's properly aged now and will pair well with prosciutto and disparagement.

Hawg, this is yet another masterful post.

ChubbNYiadom
08-24-2018, 05:32 AM
Chad was drafted, just like your boy Paxton.

Hey man I'm not implying that every drafted guy is good. But good grief if your mr irrelevant or undrafted it's usually for a reason especially at quarterback. Time will tellI on Kelly but if we suck then id rather draft a true franchise quarterback.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-24-2018, 07:58 AM
Hey man I'm not implying that every drafted guy is good. But good grief if your mr irrelevant or undrafted it's usually for a reason especially at quarterback. Time will tellI on Kelly but if we suck then id rather draft a true franchise quarterback.
Mayock had him as a 1st or 2nd round talent who fell because of character concerns. For the most part I trust him. He had Tebow as a 4th rounder. It would seem Kelly has answered both the character and injury questions.

FanInAZ
08-24-2018, 08:24 AM
Mayock had him as a 1st or 2nd round talent who fell because of character concerns. For the most part I trust him. He had Tebow as a 4th rounder. It would seem Kelly has answered both the character and injury questions.

I was considering posting something like this because I did remember reading something here along these lines when we 1st drafted him, but I don't follow college football or the draft close enough to be confident that I'd get my facts straight.

TXBRONC
08-24-2018, 08:35 AM
Yeah. Keanum would have to cost us a few consecutive losses in a row for that to happen. It's possible but less than 25%.
I'd say 10%

That's about where I would put it. If the team is losing but not because Keenum he won't be replaced. I think it's more likely that Joseph would get curbed stomped before Keenum would be replaced. If Denver were to go 1-3 in first quarter of the season I could see him being replaced before the half way point of season.

ShaneFalco
08-24-2018, 01:35 PM

When your whole argument is based around draft position in a sport where the greatest QB was drafted in round 6.

https://twitter.com/byesline/status/1033033472409911296

Nomad
08-24-2018, 03:27 PM
When your whole argument is based around draft position in a sport where the greatest QB was drafted in round 6.

If Chad Kelly had kept his head on straight & no injuries, he would of been a top QB in his eligible draft class.

I'm sure he kinda reminded teams of Ryan Leaf.

FanInAZ
08-24-2018, 03:38 PM

I don't know about the other 3, but I saw Darnold go up against Redskins' #1 D. The best Kelly has only gone up against so far is the Bears' #2 D.

FanInAZ
08-24-2018, 04:25 PM

I saw your tweet, but missed your quote. Actually, Otto Graham was drafted in the 1st round of the 1944 draft. After all, your assessment is based solely on league championships (the SB didn't exist back then).

Otto Graham 7-3 https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GrahOt00.htm
Tom Brady 5-3 https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradTo00.htm
Bart Starr 5-1 https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/StarBa00.htm

BroncoJoe
08-24-2018, 04:36 PM
I saw your tweet, but missed your quote. Actually, Otto Graham was drafted in the 1st round of the 1944 draft. After all, your assessment is based solely on league championships (the SB didn't exist back then).

Otto Graham 7-3 https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GrahOt00.htm
Tom Brady 5-3 https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradTo00.htm
Bart Starr 5-1 https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/StarBa00.htm

Good grief, dude.

Davii
08-24-2018, 04:50 PM

Elway was a #1 overall pick for the Colts.

Nomad
08-24-2018, 04:54 PM
Curious on how/why Falco gets fixated to certain QBs?

Davii
08-24-2018, 05:06 PM
Curious on how/why Falco gets fixated to certain QBs?

Underdogs, same reason he's currently adopting every dog he finds.

ShaneFalco
08-24-2018, 05:09 PM
i cant lie, i love when people say someone cant do something, then they go out and do it.

Especially after someone has been "judged" by the experts.

Mike Vick coming back after prison, i rooted for that dude.

Nomad
08-24-2018, 05:14 PM
Underdogs, same reason he's currently adopting every dog he finds.

I guess I didn't think of it that way. Both Kelly and Tebow were damn good college QBs, and fun to watch. Shit...Kaepernick was a fun QB to watch in college.

Nomad
08-24-2018, 05:15 PM
i cant lie, i love when people say someone cant do something, then they go out and do it.

Mike Vick killed the Broncos one Halloween night....I couldn't root for him. :D

Cugel
08-24-2018, 05:51 PM
Zero? Really? Zero? That's what you are going with? Ok, tell you what. Give me 100,000 to 1 on those odds. I'll bet a quarter.

"Sure thing. I'll just cut you a check on the Sawtooth City Bank. You won't have any problems with them. They know me up there." -- Hunter S. Thompson. :coffee:

Keenum is a long term veteran who has earned a starting job with several teams now. Chad Kelly has never set foot on the field in a regular season game. There is simply no way that Chad Kelly - THIS SEASON - will be better than Keenum.

Elway in his first season was really terrible. And he was John Freakin' Elway. I remember watching every game that season. He was obviously amazingly talented, you could see it flash out occasionally like lightning in a summer sky. But, mostly he was just flat terrible. 7 TDs, 14 INTs, a passer rating of 54.9, 1663 yards passing, 151 yards a game.

If Chad Kelly ever turned in a performance remotely like that he would never stay on the team, let alone continue to play. They will never be that patient with him if he starts out with a 1-2 TD/INT ratio. 2-1 is a tough sell. They would much prefer it be 4-1 or 5-1. (20 TDS and 4 or 5 INTs will be a good first full season as a starter). 8 or 9 INTs his rookie year as a starter will be acceptable, if he had 20+ TDs. Anything worse than about a 2-1 ratio of TDs to INTs will be un-acceptable and they would at least bring in his competition and they might even just draft a QB in the top 10 to supplant him.

I'm not saying he'll be bad. So far he's exceeded his very limited expectations by a LOT. But, he has a long way to go, his margin of error is very razor thin, and they will not be remotely as patient with him as they were with Elway's darling draft pick, Paxton Pirate.

"Arr! I be Fool's Gold! That be true I tell ye!"

Cugel
08-24-2018, 05:54 PM
Good grief, dude.

Otto Graham? Now that's a name from the Pleistocene era!

How about Red Grange? Let's talk about him now!

Nomad
08-24-2018, 05:57 PM
Cugel.....where's your tiger avi?

FanInAZ
08-24-2018, 05:59 PM

I feel the same way because I, along with most Autistics/Aspie I know, can relate to being the underdog that no one believes in. In a "unrelated" note, the average Autistic/Aspie meeting is going to that the highest concentration of animal lovers who get furious at the reports of animal abuse outside of a PETA convention. Back to the main topic, although I root with my heart, I prognosticate with my head. If you had that mindset, you could of called me out for providing manipulated stats to refute your last tweet post instead of just high 5ing BroncoJoe's weak reply. And yes, I did it on purpose for your benefit.

FanInAZ
08-24-2018, 06:01 PM
Otto Graham? Now that's a name from the Pleistocene era!

How about Red Grange? Let's talk about him now!

He was probably the NFL's 1st legendary RB.

MOtorboat
08-24-2018, 06:02 PM

Kelly dropped to the seventh round for reasons others than talent. It was surprising he dropped that far to begin with.

He’d been kicked out of Clemson, he had an injury and a very public on-field incident at a high school football game six months before the draft. Talent wasn’t the issue with him.

That said about Kelly, I’ll say this about Lynch, I remain concerned about the Broncos’ brass’ ability to evaluate quarterbacks.

Cugel
08-24-2018, 06:17 PM
He was probably the NFL's 1st legendary RB.

Yup. Him and Bronko Nagurski!

We could always drag his ghost into the conversation.

ChubbNYiadom
08-24-2018, 09:29 PM
Can we stop talking about Kelly starting now? Case is clearly the superior qb

ShaneFalco
08-24-2018, 09:31 PM

no.

You are officially the worst tho.

Davii
08-24-2018, 09:42 PM

For now he is. I'm comfortable with Kelly as the backup and we'll see what happens into the future.

ChubbNYiadom
08-24-2018, 11:37 PM
For now he is. I'm comfortable with Kelly as the backup and we'll see what happens into the future.

Yeah well as long as keenum is healthy we're good, the dude is only what 32? He's probably a late bloomer man he really looked sharp like the offense is trying to even as unit. Case really really surprised me tonight.

Chad Kelly looked solid as well but he's nowhere near touching Case's job.

ChubbNYiadom
08-24-2018, 11:44 PM
no.

You are officially the worst tho.

You are very delusional my friend, don't you realize that Case Keenum success means that the Broncos are in the playoffs competing for a SB? If Kelly started we'd be losing and picking top 3... Now he might develop and gain much needed experience but w.e)

Davii
08-25-2018, 09:10 AM
Yeah well as long as keenum is healthy we're good, the dude is only what 32? He's probably a late bloomer man he really looked sharp like the offense is trying to even as unit. Case really really surprised me tonight.

Chad Kelly looked solid as well but he's nowhere near touching Case's job.

I thought you were a big Lynch homer, was that just trolling?

TXBRONC
08-25-2018, 10:24 AM
The team made it clear Keenum was the starting quarterback barring anything unforeseen. Kelly played well in preseason. Does that mean he's the future? I won't go that far. Like others have said, I comfortable with Kelly as the back up this season. After that we'll see.

Nomad
08-25-2018, 10:27 AM
Keenum is the man starting behind center. It would take him busting his spleen ;) to have Kelly come in as the starter.

Cugel
08-25-2018, 12:58 PM
The team made it clear Keenum was the starting quarterback barring anything unforeseen. Kelly played well in preseason. Does that mean he's the future? I won't go that far. Like others have said, I comfortable with Kelly as the back up this season. After that we'll see.

"Barring the unforseen", that's exactly correct.

If things go according to plan, Keenum will play 16 games and Kelly will never see the field at all, except perhaps the last series of the game when the game is already decided or something. But, Peyton always insisted on playing every single snap, including the kneel downs, and Keenum might do that too.

Some QBs are not at all about to let some backup QB get any air to breath. They want all the reps and all the plays and see no need for the backup at all, since they are never coming out of the game. Ever. (In their minds).

Don't know if Keenum is like that.

But, if the team starts tanking in the regular season and they fire Vance Joseph - which about 1/2 the fan base not including me either wants or expects, then that is "unforeseen circumstances."

At that point you are blowing up the team and starting over with a new coach. That will absolutely happen IF the team is out of the playoffs again this year, and has a disappointing season.

Vance Joseph was very nearly fired last year. Elway had to "sleep on it" and change his decision to fire Joseph in the morning after wrestling with the question late into the night.

That's as close as you can come to being fired without actually being fired. He's on the thinnest of thin ice this year if the team struggles.

So, at that point, we could potentially see Chad Kelly late in the season.

But, only if things go seriously pear-shaped.

Tned
08-25-2018, 01:04 PM
Keenum is the man starting behind center. It would take him busting his spleen ;) to have Kelly come in as the starter.

I went with 50/50, but not because I think Kelly will take the job from him (possible, but long shot), but instead because with bad O-line depth and questions with the starters, I think there there is at least a 50% chance Keenum gets hurt and Kelly starts at least a game for that reason.

Cugel
08-25-2018, 03:03 PM

Yeah? What about if they fire Joseph during the season and a new head coach comes in and they have to evaluate their long term QB situation by seeing what they have in Chad Kelly?

TXBRONC
08-25-2018, 04:29 PM
Yeah? What about if they fire Joseph during the season and a new head coach comes in and they have to evaluate their long term QB situation by seeing what they have in Chad Kelly?

Since we're speaking hypothetically, then it's about the timing. First of all it's more likely that Denver goes with interim head coach and he may or he may not be the head coach going into the next season. If an interim head coach has just a couple of games left he might just go ahead play Kelly. Second, if there is more than just a couple of games I think interim head coach is going to be more inclined to play the veteran quarterback because now he's auditioning whether it's for the Broncos or some other team looking for a head coach. Since I've went this far down a hypothetical rabbit hole I might as finish it off by saying I think Bill Musgrave would become interim head coach with possibility of becoming head coach without the interim tag depending how the season ended.

Northman
08-25-2018, 04:44 PM
Since we're speaking hypothetically, then it's about the timing. First of all it's more likely that Denver goes with interim head coach and he may or he may not be the head coach going into the next season. If an interim head coach has just a couple of games left he might just go ahead play Kelly. Second, if there is more than just a couple of games I think interim head coach is going to be more inclined to play the veteran quarterback because now he's auditioning whether it's for the Broncos or some other team looking for a head coach. Since I've went this far down a hypothetical rabbit hole I might as finish it off by saying I think Bill Musgrave would become interim head coach with possibility of becoming head coach without the interim tag depending how the season ended.

Yea, even if the team is imploding with VJ if he is fired midseason i seriously doubt the interim coach is going to have free reign to play whoever he wants at QB. Unless it happens to be Kubiak but i dont think even Kubes would make a change like that at that point.

Cugel
08-26-2018, 09:56 PM

Except that Elway is running this team and if he fires Joseph, he's REALLY going to be running this team. That hypothetical means the team is not competing for the playoffs. They are blowing up the team after another losing season and firing the head coach and most of the assistant coaches.

And Elway will have a critical decision to make. Does he go out and try and draft a QB in the top 10 to be their future franchise QB, or does he already have that QB on the roster in Chad Kelly?

Because it would be a lot quicker if they could just add a few players around Kelly than if they have to draft a develop a raw rookie. But, how are they to know that if they don't start him? They will know at that point that Case Keenum is not their long-term answer.

They will also know the team's out of the playoffs and playing under an interim head coach who may be fired after the season too. (Would depend on the new head coach they bring in).

So, at that point, why wouldn't they start Kelly? The fans would be chanting it in the stands every home game.

TXBRONC
08-27-2018, 03:13 PM
Except that Elway is running this team and if he fires Joseph, he's REALLY going to be running this team. That hypothetical means the team is not competing for the playoffs. They are blowing up the team after another losing season and firing the head coach and most of the assistant coaches.

And Elway will have a critical decision to make. Does he go out and try and draft a QB in the top 10 to be their future franchise QB, or does he already have that QB on the roster in Chad Kelly?

Because it would be a lot quicker if they could just add a few players around Kelly than if they have to draft a develop a raw rookie. But, how are they to know that if they don't start him? They will know at that point that Case Keenum is not their long-term answer.

They will also know the team's out of the playoffs and playing under an interim head coach who may be fired after the season too. (Would depend on the new head coach they bring in).

So, at that point, why wouldn't they start Kelly? The fans would be chanting it in the stands every home game.

Cugel there is nothing that indicates that Elway doesn't let his coach do his job. I don't see how that would mean that would be blowing up just because he fired Joseph (hypothetically speaking).

As I said before, timing is important. It doesn't make any sense to replace the starting quarterback if he's playing well but the team isn't winning. Seems like common sense to me that interim head probably would be hesitant to replace him. IIRC when McDaniels was fired the interim head left Kyle Orton as the starter initially. He was promptly replaced after sad sack performance against the Cardinals. So, for the last three games of the season Orton was replaced by Tebow.

Why wouldn't the interim start Kelly? For the very good reason that Keenum would still be the experienced starter and Kelly has none and he's going want to make a good impression.

ShaneFalco
08-27-2018, 06:45 PM
You are very delusional my friend, don't you realize that Case Keenum success means that the Broncos are in the playoffs competing for a SB? If Kelly started we'd be losing and picking top 3... Now he might develop and gain much needed experience but w.e)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dloy3KsXcAA49Zq.jpg:large

Davii
08-27-2018, 07:23 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dloy3KsXcAA49Zq.jpg:large

I still have a 6 Jersey in my closet. Maybe it needs a masking tape “Kelly” on the back and a ride around the forums.

ChubbNYiadom
08-27-2018, 08:12 PM

Lol @ somebody with Elway ego and want to win blowing up the entire team and losing for 3-4 more season's just because he fired a HC. You got a thing for dramatics dont you?

ShaneFalco
09-18-2018, 01:28 PM
keenum leads the league in ints.

i feel like we are just wasting time with him starting while other franchises play Darnold, etc.

Krugan
09-18-2018, 01:42 PM
Changing my thought of 0% to 1%.

Case is trying real hard to keep his turnover to tds at a nice even number...

Northman
09-18-2018, 01:52 PM
As long as the team is winning we wont see Swag even with Headcase turning it over.

Tned
09-18-2018, 02:05 PM
As long as the team is winning we wont see Swag even with Headcase turning it over.

Agreed. It will take a prolonged losing streak or injury. Joseph is not going to have a quick hook with him.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-18-2018, 02:06 PM
1.2%

ShaneFalco
09-18-2018, 08:06 PM
It's Gonna Be Chad "Swag" Kelly Time In Six Weeks

https://thebiglead.com/2018/09/18/its-gonna-be-chad-swag-kelly-time-in-six-weeks/

ShaneFalco
09-18-2018, 08:46 PM
https://j.gifs.com/jqD4OB.gif

i made a new machine gun swag gif

I call it "Nakatomi Swag"

Slick
09-18-2018, 09:41 PM
Haha!

BeefStew25
09-18-2018, 10:45 PM
Effing Shane. Lol.

ShaneFalco
09-19-2018, 05:31 PM
I call this one. "SwagFace. The World is Yours."

https://j.gifs.com/voVAGn.gif

ShaneFalco
09-19-2018, 05:37 PM
i want to find a longer version of the gif with him launching the grenade thru the door tho

but this will do until i get that part for now

TXBRONC
09-21-2018, 07:49 PM
Kelly's chances of becoming the starting quarterback shot up a whopping .005%.

Cugel
09-22-2018, 08:28 PM
Kelly's chances of becoming the starting quarterback shot up a whopping .005%.

I guess it depends on the number of interceptions Keenum keeps on throwing. He's currently at 3 TDs and 4 INTs, which is pretty much approaching Peyton 2015 territory there (13 TDs and 19 INTs for Peyton).

Multiply this statistic by 5 to account for the first 10 weeks of the season, we would see 15 TDs and 20 INTs. That is Manning-esque. That is not tolerable.

They would have to do something, like starting their backup QB.

I'm not saying this would happen. He could be fine. But if it did? How long can Vance Joseph stick with Case Keenum if his job is on the line?

wayninja
10-02-2018, 02:21 PM
Anyone want to change their answer yet, or still too soon on the 0Td/1int train to decide?

Cugel
10-02-2018, 02:54 PM
Case Keenum - Regular Season Stats:

Completion %: 61.7

Yards: 988

TDs: (still) 3

INTs: (Now) 6

Passer Rating: 72.1

I'm not predicting that Keenum's horrible play continues, or that they replace him with Chad Kelly anytime soon. But, if this continues for another 6 games?

That would be 7 TDs and 12 or 13 Ints after 10 games.

The team record would be something like 4 and 6 at that point. Would that be enough?

I don't know, but they better get his INTs straightened out or he's going to be the most expensive backup QB in the NFL next year!

Because the team has already committed to paying him a guaranteed contract.

Case Keenum's Broncos deal is for two years, $36M, of which $25M is fully guaranteed at signing. He gets a $6M signing bonus, a fully guaranteed $8M 2018 salary and a $4M 2018 roster bonus. His $18M 2019 salary is guaranteed against injury, and $7M of it is guaranteed at signing.

So, his 2018 salary is fully guaranteed at this point for $18m,m there's a dead cap hit of $10,000,000 if they cut him next season, and they would owe him $21m if they keep him.

As of now there's no way they would keep him the way he's playing. Taking a $10m cap hit to trade him would be likely. They wouldn't get a lot for him, but perhaps a 6th rounder or something.

Again, I'm not going to predict this after 4 weeks, but it's looking about as bad as the worst critics could hope.

I'm particularly sad that that colossal D-Bag, D-Mack over at 104.3 the Fan is gloating because he never liked Keenum and wanted the Broncos to draft a QB.

Bradley Chubb is looking like he'll be an elite pass-rusher. But, the Broncos don't have a franchise QB yet. 3 years after Peyton retired and they're still screwing around! :tsk:

slim
10-02-2018, 03:02 PM
Anyone want to change their answer yet, or still too soon on the 0Td/1int train to decide?

My answer was 100% certainty that Swag will start. I do not wish to change my answer.

Northman
10-02-2018, 03:09 PM
Still a low chance right now depending on who is right between Beefjerky and John Elway. Beef says we are supposed to be a 8-8 team while John says we are competing for titles. If John is right than expect Keenum to keep starting until we are out of playoff contention.

Cugel
10-02-2018, 03:26 PM
Still a low chance right now depending on who is right between Beefjerky and John Elway. Beef says we are supposed to be a 8-8 team while John says we are competing for titles. If John is right than expect Keenum to keep starting until we are out of playoff contention.

Yes, but how long do you think that will take? 6 games? 8?

Six more games like this would mean something like a 4 and 6 or a 3 and 7 record. At that point the Chefs would be 8-2 or 9-1 or something like that - meaning a 4 game lead in the division - at a minimum. They will probably have already clinched with 6 games left.

The Broncos would not be mathematically eliminated at 4-6, but would need to win out to get to 10 wins. At 3-7 they would realistically be eliminated from the playoffs with 6 weeks left on the season, although they would probably have a mathematical chance left.

As long as the season simply continues as it has, they will be starting Kelly at some point - unless they concluded privately that he's never going to be their starting QB. There's a good chance no matter what the fans think , that John Elway has concluded that Kelly isn't their long-term answer.

In that case, they sit him on the bench until the last game or 2 or something, and then go out next year in the draft and draft a 1st round QB.

Don't watch what they say, watch what they do and we'll have our answer what they really think of Kelly in the front office.

Of course they will fire Joseph at seasons' end under any of these scenarios.

Northman
10-02-2018, 04:03 PM
Yes, but how long do you think that will take? 6 games? 8?

Six more games like this would mean something like a 4 and 6 or a 3 and 7 record. At that point the Chefs would be 8-2 or 9-1 or something like that - meaning a 4 game lead in the division - at a minimum. They will probably have already clinched with 6 games left.

The Broncos would not be mathematically eliminated at 4-6, but would need to win out to get to 10 wins. At 3-7 they would realistically be eliminated from the playoffs with 6 weeks left on the season, although they would probably have a mathematical chance left.

As long as the season simply continues as it has, they will be starting Kelly at some point - unless they concluded privately that he's never going to be their starting QB. There's a good chance no matter what the fans think , that John Elway has concluded that Kelly isn't their long-term answer.

In that case, they sit him on the bench until the last game or 2 or something, and then go out next year in the draft and draft a 1st round QB.

Don't watch what they say, watch what they do and we'll have our answer what they really think of Kelly in the front office.

Of course they will fire Joseph at seasons' end under any of these scenarios.

It will definitely take a handful of more games but i just cant see Elway eating his pride and ego to allow VJ to pull Keenum out until they are for sure out of the playoff contention. At this point John needs to save face with the Keenum signing and allowing him to get benched (even if you are someone who thinks Kelly could do better or should at least be given a chance) would not be ideal for him in the eyes of the fanbase. I have no doubt that Elway will allow this season to sink or swim with Keenum at the helm. That way if it doesnt work out he can say it was on VJ and Keenum and it will be easier to place blame at that point. If he allows VJ to swap out QB's now and it still fails VJ can just point the finger at John and say he was the one that made the call on the QB switch.

tripp
10-02-2018, 04:09 PM
No way Chad plays unless it's week 16 or 17 and we're playing for a draft pick. I don't even think it's a case if we've lost 5 straight. Elway needs to justify paying Keenum that much $$, and he won't admit defeat.

What ****** irks me more than anything is, this is a wasted year of Von and CHJ in their prime because of absolute shit coaching. I don't even blame Keenum that much. I blame the coaching staff. They're the ones calling the plays. Musgrave is shit, VJ is shit, and Joe Woods is shit. And by the sounds of it, the players are frustrated as well.

Colorado4Life
10-02-2018, 09:16 PM
So while the large ego of one Bronco legend refuses to admit a mistake the entire franchise is held back while the family fights to take control of the team. These are certainly not the golden days for the Denver Broncos. It’s unfortunate that whether with Joseph or Keenum or whomever we have to painfully wait out the failed experiment. At least the failed experiment of Tim Tebow was fun to watch, even if the football mechanics were atrocious. I miss the fun he brought, and I see that in Chad Kelly. Tebow/Kelly For President in 2036 the Saint and the Sinner but both passionate and energetic personalities. Yes I hope Kelly starts but unfortunately Keenum is in until he physically cannot play most likely.

ShaneFalco
10-02-2018, 10:03 PM
i miss the elway that fired john fox after losing the SB

Timmy!
10-03-2018, 12:34 AM
i miss the elway that fired john fox after losing the SB

Ummm....well he fired him 11 months after that, but sure.

ShaneFalco
10-08-2018, 07:41 AM
Ummm....well he fired him 11 months after that, but sure.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3ohhwEAULZxdiP6ocU/giphy.gif

https://i.imgur.com/bFEeyZq.gif

wayninja
10-08-2018, 12:47 PM
Still not a good game for Keenum, but that garbage time TD didn't help Swags chances. Still, I predict he just edged a bit closer...

Northman
10-08-2018, 01:04 PM
Keenum wont be benched until we lose a couple of more games and closer to being out of the playoffs.

ShaneFalco
10-09-2018, 04:59 AM
https://twitter.com/NFLMatchup/status/1049309233458663424

slim
10-09-2018, 06:44 AM
Ouch

EastCoastBronco
10-09-2018, 06:52 AM
Jesus wept.
I am growing weary of Keenum... and our shitty O coordinator.

ShaneFalco
10-09-2018, 07:59 AM
look. i told yall in preseason. Keesum aint built for this.

I havnt let you down.

Its time to ride with swag.

Put up the billboard.

Shazam!
10-09-2018, 09:02 AM
It is looking like a guarantee we will see Kelly sooner than later. He gives me hope that Denver does have that guy. Im sure Uncle Jim is busy getting him ready. If he wants the job as Denver's franchise QB he gotta go get it.

ShaneFalco
10-09-2018, 10:08 AM
https://j.gifs.com/rRzP7w.gif

G_Money
10-09-2018, 01:08 PM
Somewhere north of zero percent... but not very far north.

Part of it is injury chance, because I think he'll be the #2 - which is a very large vote of confidence, btw.

Part of it is the Vance Joseph Effect, whereby the whole team can crater at any moment under the slightest of adversity. If they tank the last couple of weeks I could see Chad getting a start.

I'm watching Mayfield play for the Browns right now and don't see anything he does w the ball that Kelly can't do. I certainly hope Chad doesn't get any starts this year though. I'd like him to learn behind Case Keenum for at least this year, getting 2nd team reps, talking to Case about everything he sees on the field and picking his brain for this season.

The arm is there, but I'd like Denver not to suck, and for Kelly to have a chance to absorb the NFL above the shoulders.

I so wanted Denver not to suck...

wayninja
10-09-2018, 01:55 PM
Keenum ain't help Kelly do nothing. He sorry.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-09-2018, 07:05 PM
Keenum ain't help Kelly do nothing. He sorry.

Except maybe get in the game sooner than later...

Cugel
10-09-2018, 10:26 PM
I so wanted Denver not to suck...

Everybody wanted that. That is the definition of a "fan." Wanting their team NOT to totally suck and be worse than the Jets or Browns!

That' not a lot to ask, except that this season it apparently is. :coffee:

Those who picked "0% No chance in Hell!" are not looking too good right now. Those 25% chance voters are underestimating it. I'd put the chances at 75%-100% at the moment.

And after they lose to the Rams, go on the road to the Cardinals, and then get crushed on the road by the Chefs, it will be 2-6, mid-way through the season.

VJ is unlikely to get past the bye-week, except that there's no coach on the roster right now able to take over, and Kubiak's heart condition won't allow him to go back to the sidelines. They might just ride it out all season long and fire Joseph right after the season. That's the normal way.

ShaneFalco
10-10-2018, 12:04 AM
https://twitter.com/mipritchard/status/1049689973929185280

MOtorboat
10-10-2018, 12:12 AM
Good grief, Mike. Don't encourage him.

Also Michael Pritchard was a badass at CU.

Hawgdriver
10-10-2018, 12:30 AM
MO, let Shane have Kelly. It soothes his pain. We are all Broncos brothers here. Who really gives a shit anyway? Maybe Kelly has found a deep reservoir of grit with which his teammates will find nourishment. After all, it's just a game. Except when winning is everything, and that's 100% Kelly. And your dude, Lindsay. You guys are like the same coin but different faces.

Love you both. Yes, today is an Epic Day. Night. Whatever.

MOtorboat
10-10-2018, 12:40 AM
MO, let Shane have Kelly. It soothes his pain. We are all Broncos brothers here. Who really gives a shit anyway? Maybe Kelly has found a deep reservoir of grit with which his teammates will find nourishment. After all, it's just a game. Except when winning is everything, and that's 100% Kelly. And your dude, Lindsay. You guys are like the same coin but different faces.

Love you both. Yes, today is an Epic Day. Night. Whatever.

I don't want Kelly to suck, Hawg.

Hawgdriver
10-10-2018, 01:10 AM
I don't want Kelly to suck, Hawg.

I know that homie. Shane's possessiveness and irrational evaluations get to me, too. Guess I figure he loves the Broncos and trusts his gut so much. Can't fault those qualities.

ShaneFalco
10-10-2018, 01:12 AM
MO cant get over that Tebow was a better QB than orton. i understand it.

MOtorboat
10-10-2018, 01:13 AM

Egads. I wish he was...they were about the same.

slim
10-10-2018, 06:44 AM
Egads. I wish he was...they were about the same.

Except Tebow won.

Davii
10-10-2018, 07:50 AM
Can we ever STHU about Tebow? **** Tebow. He's a baseball player and announcer and philanthropist.

slim
10-10-2018, 07:53 AM
Can we ever STHU about Tebow? **** Tebow. He's a baseball player and announcer and philanthropist.

And a winner

Poet
10-10-2018, 09:03 AM

It passes the time...better than Keenum passes the ball!

OooOOOOOOOooOOoOh!

Hawgdriver
10-10-2018, 09:39 AM

God bless this man!

Tangerine
10-10-2018, 09:53 AM
Down 24 points with 5 minutes left in the 4th, useless VJ still wouldn't put Kelly in.

The funny thing is that Kelly is the only thing that could possibly save his job at this point, yet he still won't pull the trigger. He's going to ride Keenum all the way to unemployment.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-10-2018, 10:08 AM
Down 24 points with 5 minutes left in the 4th, useless VJ still wouldn't put Kelly in.

The funny thing is that Kelly is the only thing that could possibly save his job at this point, yet he still won't pull the trigger. He's going to ride Keenum all the way to unemployment.

They might want to save Kelly from a mental and physical beating if they don’t think he’s ready.

Buff
10-10-2018, 02:00 PM
We were playing two backup tackles on the road at that stage - Keenum had been taking a beating. Not sure inserting your inexperienced QB for mop-up duty makes much sense there.

But Keenum's gotta be on a short leash at this stage.

Tangerine
10-10-2018, 02:13 PM
We were playing two backup tackles on the road at that stage - Keenum had been taking a beating. Not sure inserting your inexperienced QB for mop-up duty makes much sense there.

But Keenum's gotta be on a short leash at this stage.

Yeah you're right, there's a chance he might have actually played well, then they'd possibly have to permantly bench the $18 million dollar man. We can't have that...

TXBRONC
10-10-2018, 02:17 PM

Tebow was a better leader, but skill wise he stunk. They both were terrible in their own unique ways.

Tangerine
10-10-2018, 02:28 PM
They might want to save Kelly from a mental and physical beating if they don’t think he’s ready.

I don't know, I hate playing scared, and I really hate the "he's not ready" line. When has that ever been proven true that you have sit a QB for years? Yet these coaches still try to live by it. Plenty of QBs play well from day one nowadays.

Keenum won't start every game this year, I can almost guarantee that, so why delay the inevitable? He's either getting benched or hurt, these stop gap never play an entire season.

Yes, Kelly could be bad, then we're back where we are now anyway, needing another new QB next year.

TXBRONC
10-10-2018, 02:42 PM
Except Tebow won.

Nah the team finished .500 with him at quarterback.

Tangerine
10-10-2018, 03:01 PM
Nah the team finished .500 with him at quarterback.

Thanks to Orton stinking up the first 5 games. Tebow was 7-4 that year.

TXBRONC
10-10-2018, 03:30 PM
Thanks to Orton stinking up the first 5 games. Tebow was 7-4 that year.

True, but he lost his last three regular season starts so he had ample opportunity to finish above .500. Denver was out scored 88 to 40 in the last three regular season games.

7DnBrnc53
10-10-2018, 06:23 PM
True, but he lost his last three regular season starts so he had ample opportunity to finish above .500. Denver was out scored 88 to 40 in the last three regular season games.

He was running a neutered offense, though. They really didn't let him throw the ball much, especially in the KC game.

wayninja
10-10-2018, 07:07 PM
This is my favorite Tebow thread.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-10-2018, 11:30 PM
I don't know, I hate playing scared, and I really hate the "he's not ready" line. When has that ever been proven true that you have sit a QB for years? Yet these coaches still try to live by it. Plenty of QBs play well from day one nowadays.

Keenum won't start every game this year, I can almost guarantee that, so why delay the inevitable? He's either getting benched or hurt, these stop gap never play an entire season.

Yes, Kelly could be bad, then we're back where we are now anyway, needing another new QB next year.

Elway was awful day 1.
Sitting for a year might have been helpful to Eli and Philip Rivers.
Steve Young wasn’t any good as a rookie.
Troy Aiman sucked as a rookie.
Peyton Manning sucked as a rookie.

There’s a laundry list of talented quarterbacks who weren’t ready as rookies.

MOtorboat
10-10-2018, 11:53 PM
He was running a neutered offense, though. They really didn't let him throw the ball much, especially in the KC game.

Gee, I wonder why?

ShaneFalco
10-11-2018, 01:29 AM
When Swag enters the game.

It will be like Broncos preseason crowd all over again.

https://j.gifs.com/Jq0qlo.gif

Tangerine
10-11-2018, 10:11 AM
Elway was awful day 1.
Sitting for a year might have been helpful to Eli and Philip Rivers.
Steve Young wasn’t any good as a rookie.
Troy Aiman sucked as a rookie.
Peyton Manning sucked as a rookie.

There’s a laundry list of talented quarterbacks who weren’t ready as rookies.

Those guys were all 20-30 years ago, it's a different era now

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-11-2018, 10:20 AM
Those guys were all 20-30 years ago, it's a different era now

The point is Mike, not everyone is the same. Some people take more time to develop. The Bears quarterback was stinky last year.

ShaneFalco
10-11-2018, 10:24 AM
Gee, I wonder why?

hows mike mccoy doing lately.

Davii
10-11-2018, 10:31 AM

He's employed with an NFL team at his chosen profession. He could be better I'm sure, but he's probably happy to be an OC in the NFL still.

ShaneFalco
10-11-2018, 10:35 AM
He's employed with an NFL team at his chosen profession. He could be better I'm sure, but he's probably happy to be an OC in the NFL still.

i heard his team finally crossed midfield last game. he should be proud they finally gave David Johnson more then 15 touches.

Davii
10-11-2018, 10:39 AM
i heard his team finally crossed midfield last game. he should be proud they finally gave David Johnson more then 15 touches.

Yeah, amazing he has a job... but he does have one.

ShaneFalco
10-11-2018, 10:39 AM
good for him.

being OC for manning goes a long way.

7DnBrnc53
10-11-2018, 01:55 PM
Gee, I wonder why?

Because they didn't wanna win?

MOtorboat
10-11-2018, 02:26 PM
Because they didn't wanna win?

Lol.

TXBRONC
10-11-2018, 04:48 PM

The offense was tailored to his abilities. Which game against the Chiefs are you referring too? The one in K.C. which Denver won, he threw it eight times and Denver still won. The one in Denver he threw it twenty-two times and Denver lost.

wayninja
10-11-2018, 05:02 PM
This discussion is going to change a lot of minds.

BroncoWave
10-11-2018, 05:49 PM
The point is Mike, not everyone is the same. Some people take more time to develop. The Bears quarterback was stinky last year.

He still is.

BroncoWave
10-11-2018, 05:49 PM
This discussion is going to change a lot of minds.

I, personally, see things totally differently now!

Simple Jaded
10-12-2018, 03:10 AM

He’s still working in the NFL.

wayninja
10-14-2018, 08:48 PM
We've gotten a sniff of what kelly can do with almost no time left on the clock. The doomsday clock has almost struck midnight.

FanInAZ
10-14-2018, 09:11 PM
And a winner

Which is why no team in the NFL wants him.

ShaneFalco
10-14-2018, 09:44 PM
Which is why no team in the NFL wants him.

well the broncos were stupid enough to sign case, so that means nothing

FanInAZ
10-14-2018, 09:53 PM
well the broncos were stupid enough to sign case, so that means nothing

The Vikings were 11-3 in the regular season (better then Tebow) on their way to the NFCCG (better then Tebow) with him as their QB, so I'm sure several teams were interested in him (better then Tebow).

wayninja
10-14-2018, 09:55 PM
Better than Tebow. Lmao.

FanInAZ
10-14-2018, 09:58 PM
Better than Tebow. Lmao.

Well, the Tebois are obsessed with how all he did was win, & how he won a play-off game. Case did more of both.

FanInAZ
10-14-2018, 09:59 PM
Oh, I just noticed, Case had an 8 game win streak (better then Tebow).

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/min/2017.htm

ShaneFalco
10-14-2018, 10:07 PM
case doesnt even dream he is better then timothy

FanInAZ
10-14-2018, 10:10 PM
case doesnt even dream he is better then timothy

Anything accomplishment that you would list for Tebow, Case has done more.

ShaneFalco
10-14-2018, 10:11 PM
his playoff win was because the NFL doesnt allow defense anymore.

Miracle in Minny my ass.

FanInAZ
10-14-2018, 10:16 PM
his playoff win was because the NFL doesnt allow defense anymore.

Miracle in Minny my ass.

Tebow played like garbage for the 1st 3 1/2 quarters of 5 of those 6 wins, & the entire 2nd half of the Steelers games. "Tebowtime" was only possible because the :defense: playing great for the entirety of these games.

wayninja
10-14-2018, 10:18 PM
Well, the Tebois are obsessed with how all he did was win, & how he won a play-off game. Case did more of both.

Hitching your wagon to "Well, he's better than Tebow" is probably not the strongest argument. Just sayin'.

I'm not even that convinced that he IS better than Tebow.

ShaneFalco
10-14-2018, 10:20 PM
look at the NFL now. 12 seconds for touchdowns.

teams just going up and down field.

i guess this is fun to watch for ratings or something... yawn

MOtorboat
10-14-2018, 10:22 PM
look at the NFL now. 12 seconds for touchdowns.

teams just going up and down field.

i guess this is fun to watch for ratings or something... yawn

Well. Bye.

:wave:

FanInAZ
10-14-2018, 10:27 PM
Hitching your wagon to "Well, he's better than Tebow" is probably not the strongest argument. Just sayin'.

I'm not even that convinced that he IS better than Tebow.

I never actually said he was better then Tebow. I said that his 11-3 record last year was better then Tebow's 8-6, the Viking making it to the NFCCG was better then the Broncos making the AFCDR & their 8 game winning streak with Case was better then our 6 with Tebow. All of his accomplishments last year, which were better then Tebow ever accomplished, provide ample justification for the Broncos to hive him a chance this year while Tebow has made a career change because no one wanted him.

wayninja
10-14-2018, 10:33 PM
I never actually said he was better then Tebow. I said that his 11-3 record last year was better then Tebow's 8-6, the Viking making it to the NFCCG was better then the Broncos making the AFCDR & their 8 game winning streak with Case was better then our 6 with Tebow. All of his accomplishments last year, which were better then Tebow ever accomplished, provide ample justification for the Broncos to hive him a chance this year while Tebow has made a career change because no one wanted him.

Ok, if we just going to boil it all down like this to a tebow argument I'll just use tebow arguments.

The VIKINGS were 11-3. The VIKINGS. Case keenum was not 11-3. That Vikings team is a WAY better team than the 2011 Broncos.

Coaches make mistakes all the time. We have a professional mistake maker coaching our team, so the "he's out of the NFL now" argument doesn't mean a lot. At the end of the day, regardless of how good he was in the game he played, he got far less of a on-field chance than other broncos that were far less deserving. So we don't really KNOW what would have happened, just what did.

Regardless. Tebow vs Case. The fact that you are even arguing this is NOT helping Case's...well.. case.

FanInAZ
10-14-2018, 10:49 PM
Ok, if we just going to boil it all down like this to a tebow argument I'll just use tebow arguments.

The VIKINGS were 11-3. The VIKINGS. Case keenum was not 11-3. That Vikings team is a WAY better team than the 2011 Broncos.

Coaches make mistakes all the time. We have a professional mistake maker coaching our team, so the "he's out of the NFL now" argument doesn't mean a lot. At the end of the day, regardless of how good he was in the game he played, he got far less of a on-field chance than other broncos that were far less deserving. So we don't really KNOW what would have happened, just what did.

Regardless. Tebow vs Case. The fact that you are even arguing this is NOT helping Case's...well.. case.

Actually, your assessing Case the same way that I assess Tebow when not dealing with Tebois. The biggest thing that they can't get threw their heads, football is a team sport. No one player, no matter how talented they may be, can win games all by themselves. Neither Case or Tebew ever played D, so neither of them should be allowed to steal credit for what their Ds did to win those games. They also never caught a pass, so they shouldn't be allowed to steal credit from those who did. However, the Tebois are always stealing credit from the D & receivers when they give Tebow 100% of the credit for those wins.

wayninja
10-14-2018, 10:52 PM
Alright, I promised myself I wouldn't do it, so I'm not going to.

SWAG!!!

Simple Jaded
10-15-2018, 04:16 AM
Tebow just needed 6 years and 3 different teams to gel.

It’s science.

Davii
10-15-2018, 08:31 AM
Tebow just needed 6 years and 3 different teams to gel.

It’s science.

Apparently more, he still didn't gel.

ShaneFalco
10-15-2018, 09:54 AM
i wonder how many teams case needs.

He on his 6th or 7th?

ShaneFalco
10-15-2018, 10:05 AM
Broncos won't start Chad Kelly: 'Case is our quarterback'

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2018/10/14/denver-broncos-news-chad-kelly-wont-start-case-keenum-still-qb/

Apparently a HOF QB like Manning can get benched but not Keesum the journeyman.

wayninja
10-15-2018, 10:09 AM
To be fair, yesterday was probably one of Case's best day as a bronco.

ShaneFalco
10-15-2018, 10:11 AM
20-3 going into the 4th quarter.

it was "Keesum Time"

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-15-2018, 10:14 AM
20-3 going into the 4th quarter.

it was "Keesum Time"
The final score is deceiving. The Rams had the game secured going into the 4th quarter

BroncoJoe
10-15-2018, 10:30 AM

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2018/10/14/denver-broncos-news-chad-kelly-wont-start-case-keenum-still-qb/

Manning was hurt.

EastCoastBronco
10-15-2018, 10:36 AM
Manning was hurt.

True, Joe.
Manning was hurt...but Keenum is worse than hurt.
He's broken.

BroncoJoe
10-15-2018, 10:43 AM
True, Joe.
Manning was hurt...but Keenum is worse than hurt.
He's broken.

Unfortunately, he does just enough to avoid being benched. I'm all for seeing what Kelly can do, and see if he can spark the team. But, it's going to take 2 more losses, IMO.

Anyone notice the disgust on Sanders' face when Case overthrew him close to the endzone? It looked like a sure-fire TD had the pass been there.

ShaneFalco
10-15-2018, 10:48 AM
9,131 no shows to Broncos game on Sunday is most since 2010

https://www.milehighreport.com/2018/10/15/17978046/9131-no-shows-most-since-2010

maybe they will get the message when people stop going

wayninja
10-15-2018, 10:52 AM
Unfortunately, he does just enough to avoid being benched. I'm all for seeing what Kelly can do, and see if he can spark the team. But, it's going to take 2 more losses, IMO.

Anyone notice the disgust on Sanders' face when Case overthrew him close to the endzone? It looked like a sure-fire TD had the pass been there.

If we lose to Arizona, I would be absolutely flabbergasted if VJ is still our coach.

Nevermind, that's probably exactly what will happen.

Nomad
10-15-2018, 10:53 AM

Not sure why this surprises you.

EastCoastBronco
10-15-2018, 10:56 AM

You figure they will wait until the bye to make the switch...if things remain the same?

ShaneFalco
10-15-2018, 10:56 AM
Emmanuel Sanders continued with a strong defense of Case Keenum, but acknowledged that the fan base is use to winning.

“They expect us to win,” Sanders said. “In ’15, we won the Super Bowl. Before I got here in the Peyton Manning era, we were winning. The Tebow era, they were going to the playoffs and won miraculous playoff games. They expect wins. I would expect wins, too. I understand what they’re going through. I don’t respect what they do in the stadium in terms of booing and stuff like that, especially with the Case situation. Case is the quarterback that comes in every single day. He busts his butt. He goes out and plays. They’re supposed to provide momentum and give us that ‘Let’s go’ factor. We don’t want to hear boos. But at the end of the day, like I said, they expect wins and we expect wins out of ourselves, so hopefully we start providing wins here soon.”

:mad:

wayninja
10-15-2018, 11:01 AM
Sounds like plan A is fervent hoping.

I imagine plan B may involve rainbows, coins in fountains, or loose eyelashes.

ShaneFalco
10-15-2018, 11:09 AM
im on to plan c.

crowbar and tonya hardings lover

Davii
10-15-2018, 11:13 AM

Manning was injured. Remember?

ShaneFalco
10-15-2018, 11:14 AM
Manning was injured. Remember?

yea true. i just remember him thinking he could still play hurt or something along those lines.

And after that 3 int game he had to figure it out.

Davii
10-15-2018, 11:14 AM
You figure they will wait until the bye to make the switch...if things remain the same?

I think it could very well happen if we lose to Az. 10 days to prepare for the Chiefs

Tangerine
10-15-2018, 11:16 AM
To be fair, yesterday was probably one of Case's best day as a bronco.

Haha, Keenum and the offense only scored 3 points through the first three quarters, yet this was still his best day. Boy our standards/expectations have dropped, Manning and the 2013 offense feels like it was about 30 years ago.

When Manning was setting records, who would've thought in less than 5 short years, we'd be excited when the offense scores 3 flippin' points....

Davii
10-15-2018, 11:26 AM
Haha, Keenum and the offense only scored 3 points through the first three quarters, yet this was still his best day. Boy our standards/expectations have dropped, Manning and the 2013 offense feels like it was about 30 years ago.

When Manning was setting records, who would've thought in less than 5 short years, we'd be excited when the offense scores 3 flippin' points....

I'm not seeing where anyone said they were excited, or happy, or even ok with it.

Nomad
10-15-2018, 11:31 AM
What we know of Vance Joseph is he stands by his starting QB regardless of how much they struggle. Seeing teammates, like Sanders, stick up for Keenum tells me the locker room is behind him.

wayninja
10-15-2018, 11:34 AM

Well, I didn't say I was excited, just that the trend for keenum has been up. That's all. He's been throwing more TD's than INT's, which is a big step up from the few weeks before the Jets game. It's just an observation for those that look at trends to determine the likelyhood that he will be benched...

Tangerine
10-15-2018, 11:42 AM
:mad:

I could care less at this point how hard Keenum's trying. You don't get any points for effort in the NFL, if you're putting in all this work yet still not getting results, maybe it's time to admit you're simply not good enough, step aside and let somebody else try.

I'm sorry, I'm not impressed by Keenum's garbage time stats, they're paying him $18 million to make plays when the score is close, and not throw redzone INTs and overthrow open receivers.

CoachChaz
10-15-2018, 12:13 PM
If I'm going to cut Keenum any slack, it's because he's always playing from behind and the opposing defenses are in nickel and dime all game. Either that or he's laying on his back. Not creating excuses, but I would be curious to see how he looks when the defense isn't spotting the opponent 10-20 points and giving up 200 yards on the ground. If I recall correctly, the plan this season was to be a top 5 defense and beat teams on the ground with Keenum being more of a manager than being forced to be a hero. Seems that kind of went up in flames.

underrated29
10-15-2018, 12:15 PM
If I'm going to cut Keenum any slack, it's because he's always playing from behind and the opposing defenses are in nickel and dime all game. Either that or he's laying on his back. Not creating excuses, but I would be curious to see how he looks when the defense isn't spotting the opponent 10-20 points and giving up 200 yards on the ground. If I recall correctly, the plan this season was to be a top 5 defense and beat teams on the ground with Keenum being more of a manager than being forced to be a hero. Seems that kind of went up in flames.

The woods flambe.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
10-15-2018, 12:32 PM

Well, he’s not the worst quarterback we’ve seen in Denver in the last 4 years, but I am getting tired of seeing sacks on 3rd and long when we’re in fg range. We were in fg range approximately 4 times yesterday and got pushed back by penalties and numerous sacks with big negative yardage. We should have had at least 9 points going to the half.

He’s got to stop holding the ball so long on 3rd down

Canmore
10-15-2018, 12:48 PM
Well, he’s not the worst quarterback we’ve seen in Denver in the last 4 years, but I am getting tired of seeing sacks on 3rd and long when we’re in fg range. We were in fg range approximately 4 times yesterday and got pushed back penalties and numerous sacks with big negative yardage. We should have had at least 9 points going to the half.

He’s got to stop holding the ball so lon on 3rd down

Wish in one hand...

underrated29
10-15-2018, 12:53 PM
Case is not stepping up into the pocket. Sometimes he just needs to do that and avoid the rush. Instead he does a siemian. He runs right out the back....Climb that ladder and throw it away. Run for 1 yard and slide. Dont run backwards and to the right and take a sack.

I like Case. Like how he plays for us and his demeanor. He just does not have it to be what this team needs. He is bubby brister to me. Good backup. Great guy. Can hold things together if needed. I really hope we see what we have with Chad Kelly and stop wasting time with Keenum.

Tangerine
10-15-2018, 01:17 PM

Well they had the lead for a good chunk of the game week 1 and he threw 3 INTs, they also built a 10 point lead in the KC by the 4th and he helped the team choke that win away.

Honestly he's played the best when the team has been down 3+ scores and defenses back off the short routes. I really don't think the lopsided scores have been the cause of his poor play.

The Glue Factory
10-15-2018, 03:49 PM
Actually, your assessing Case the same way that I assess Tebow when not dealing with Tebois. The biggest thing that they can't get threw their heads, football is a team sport. No one player, no matter how talented they may be, can win games all by themselves. Neither Case or Tebew ever played D, so neither of them should be allowed to steal credit for what their Ds did to win those games. They also never caught a pass, so they shouldn't be allowed to steal credit from those who did. However, the Tebois are always stealing credit from the D & receivers when they give Tebow 100% of the credit for those wins.

They also steal credit from opposing DC's for changing to prevent defense and allowing Tebow's heroics. Belichick played the Broncos twice that year and laid down the blueprint to handling Tebow.

Simple Jaded
10-15-2018, 09:47 PM
http://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=401030788

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=401030934

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=401030734

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=401030773

Just in case people think the defense isn’t giving the offense a fighting chance early in these losses. In two of these games the defense/ST’s put the offense in the opponents red zone for their first score of the game.

Poet
10-15-2018, 10:10 PM

We often play from behind because he can't produce as the QB. He often lays on his back because he holds onto the ball too long. Even when it's a close game he's not been much of a manager.

He's been categorically bad. You also said he would outplay Kirk Cousins. Just admit that he's bad and you fell for the one year outlier. It's okay to admit when you're wrong.

Simple Jaded
10-15-2018, 10:16 PM
They’re playing from behind because they don’t score.

EastCoastBronco
10-16-2018, 06:09 AM
They’re playing from behind because they don’t score.

And they don't score because CK overthrows wide open receivers in the end zone by 10 feet.