PDA

View Full Version : klis: If Kelly not promoted, competition is rigged.

ShaneFalco
08-12-2018, 09:20 AM
https://www.9news.com/article/sports/chad-kelly-shines-but-broncos-fall-to-vikings-42-28/73-583049382

DENVER – If Chad Kelly is not promoted by the Broncos' decision makers to No. 2 quarterback this week, then the competition is rigged.

Paxton Lynch has had his chances. But Kelly has been outplaying Lynch for a while now.

While Lynch struggled in the Broncos' 42-28 preseason-opening loss on a warm Saturday night at Broncos Stadium at Mile High, Kelly instantly developed a cult following from the crowd of 66,172 (more than 9,000 no-shows) that chanted, "Kelly! Kelly! Kelly!'' as he marched the team on two touchdown drives to cap his first two offensive series in the second half. He had a final drive end at the Vikings' 1-yard line as time expired.

CONT....

BroncoWave
08-12-2018, 09:31 AM
As much as I'm usually against overhyping the Kyle Sloters and Chad Kellys of the world, there really isn't any logical reason for Kelly not to get his chance at the #2 spot now.

I'm still not convinced Kelly will be the answer either, but we now know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it's never going to be Lynch. Give swag his shot.

BroncoJoe
08-12-2018, 09:51 AM
Cautiously optimistic, but this thinking stands out in my mind:

Kelly finished 14-of-21 for 177 yards, with two touchdowns and one interception. His QB rating? 104.7. The fact that Kelly produced like he did after not having played any meaningful football for almost two calendar years really puts things into perspective.

ShaneFalco
08-12-2018, 09:52 AM
Cautiously optimistic, but this thinking stands out in my mind:

-woulda had 3 tds if WR didnt drop one in the endzone.
- ARM TALENT the broncos have not seen since Cutler.
-DNA that is Hall of Fame.
-Changed the entire offense attitude as soon as he entered the game.
-work ethic unrivaled.
- Outplayed #2 QB all Training Camp
- Outplayed both #1 and #2 QB in first preseason game
- Outplayed all rookie QBs, maybe tied with Mayfield

Give the man #2 reps. He earned it.

BroncoWave
08-12-2018, 09:55 AM
-woulda had 3 tds if WR didnt drop one in the endzone.
- ARM TALENT the broncos have not seen since Cutler.
-DNA that is Hall of Fame.
-Changed the entire offense attitude as soon as he entered the game.
-work ethic unrivaled.
- Outplayed #2 QB all Training Camp
- Outplayed both #1 and #2 QB in first preseason game
- Outplayed all rookie QBs, maybe tied with Mayfield

Give the man #2 reps. He earned it.

While I think some of this is a little hyperbolic, I do agree with the last line. If he keeps doing it against guys who will actually be on NFL rosters and not selling insurance in 3 weeks, I'll be all in.

Shazam!
08-12-2018, 09:59 AM
As much as I'm usually against overhyping the Kyle Sloters and Chad Kellys of the world, there really isn't any logical reason for Kelly not to get his chance at the #2 spot now.

I'm still not convinced Kelly will be the answer either, but we now know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it's never going to be Lynch. Give swag his shot.

In year 3 post-Manning, WTF does the team havr to lose at this point? He looked far better than even Case did. This team needs Leadership and example on offense, i didnt see any of it until Kelly stepped on the field

I love him. I expected much, much more from the Starters. I know it was 3rd stringers but still... I know what i saw.

BroncoJoe
08-12-2018, 09:59 AM
While I think some of this is a little hyperbolic, I do agree with the last line. If he keeps doing it against guys who will actually be on NFL rosters and not selling insurance in 3 weeks, I'll be all in.

I hate this line of thinking, only because he is also PLAYING WITH those same guys on his side of the ball. Frankly, it takes more ability to be successful when playing WITH scrubs even if you're playing against them.

JMO.

BroncoWave
08-12-2018, 10:03 AM
In year 3 post-Manning, WTF does the team havr to lose at this point? He looked far better than even Case did. This team needs Leadership and example on offense, i didnt see any of it until Kelly stepped on the field

I love him. I expected much, much more from the Starters. I know it was 3rd stringers but still... I know what i saw.

I'm not going to draw anything from only the 2 series Keenum got. I'm not convinced Kelly would have done any better in that situation had he started the game. The Vikes have one of the best defenses in the NFL and the starters weren't in long enough to get any sort of a rhythm.

Kelly has earned all you can really hope for as a 7th round QB....a shot. I can't wait to see what he does with that shot, but I want to see it before I proclaim he should go into week 1 as the backup. As for the starter, I really don't see that happening unless Kelly just completely lights up the 2nd stringers and Case either melts down or gets hurt.

BroncoWave
08-12-2018, 10:05 AM
I hate this line of thinking, only because he is also PLAYING WITH those same guys on his side of the ball. Frankly, it takes more ability to be successful when playing WITH scrubs even if you're playing against them.

JMO.

I base this off of year after year after year of seeing random 3rd string QBs light up the preseason around the league never to be heard from again.

I don't see what's so unreasonable about seeing how he plays against higher level talent before I jump on the hype train. I'm fully admitting that he deserves his shot to go out there and show us what he has against better competition. If he takes advantage of that opportunity, then I'm all in.

Hawgdriver
08-12-2018, 10:32 AM
Wave, think we could trade Kelly for Osweiler? You were hyped about a similar move last year.

slim
08-12-2018, 10:33 AM
It's obvious to anyone with a brain. So, I'm not sure VJ is on board.

Davii
08-12-2018, 11:21 AM
He deserves to be ahead of Lynch. Nothing less, and nothing more at this point.

Nomad
08-12-2018, 11:28 AM
VJ says...."we'll see".
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/12/vance-joseph-well-see-if-chad-kelly-gets-second-team-work/

aberdien
08-12-2018, 11:32 AM
We don't need to paint Kelly as the second coming because in reality it takes very little to be better than Paxton Lynch.

Davii
08-12-2018, 11:35 AM
We don't need to paint Kelly as the second coming because in reality it takes very little to be better than Paxton Lynch.

True, however, I don't see it as that (except maybe Shane). It's quite obvious that on this current squad he should be ahead of Lynch.

MOtorboat
08-12-2018, 11:39 AM
VJ says...."we'll see".
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/12/vance-joseph-well-see-if-chad-kelly-gets-second-team-work/

Ho-hum, maybe. I guess.

Wish-washy. Put your foot down for ****’s sake.

BroncoWave
08-12-2018, 11:41 AM
Wave, think we could trade Kelly for Osweiler? You were hyped about a similar move last year.

Lynch for Oz, sure. Kelly I want to see a little more of first.

Nomad
08-12-2018, 11:44 AM

No one is (exception of Shane LoL), but I believe Bronco fans are tired of seeing Lynch take up roster space. Last night really sealed the deal.

Davii
08-12-2018, 11:58 AM
Ho-hum, maybe. I guess.

Wish-washy. Put your foot down for ****’s sake.

"Leader of men" my ass. Leaders make decisions and take ownership. This guy is an ass.

BeefStew25
08-12-2018, 12:30 PM
"Leader of men" my ass. Leaders make decisions and take ownership. This guy is an ass.

I think it’s notmal to not make a public rash decision right after the game.

Canmore
08-12-2018, 12:39 PM
VJ says...."we'll see".

Grow a set.

Northman
08-12-2018, 12:47 PM
I really really dont see what it is that JFE sees in VJ. I really dont.

LawDog
08-12-2018, 12:58 PM
I think it’s notmal to not make a public rash decision right after the game.

But VJ hasn’t made a strong, bold decision ever while with Denver. Well, his t-shirt mottos of “More” after the bye last year and “Today” at camp this year are pretty f’ing bold and inspirational... or not.

Canmore
08-12-2018, 01:21 PM
I really really dont see what it is that JFE sees in VJ. I really dont.

Or Paxton Lynch.

Bronco4ever
08-12-2018, 02:03 PM
If Kelly and Lynch were to swap their draft pick status, there's no question Kelly would be second team. Until the coaches decide to disregard where they were drafted and choosing the best players on the depth chart, we'll be stuck with lesser players higher up than they deserve to be.

ShaneFalco
08-12-2018, 09:30 PM
https://twitter.com/PFF_Broncos/status/1028783182416695297

HORSEPOWER 56
08-12-2018, 10:36 PM
But VJ hasn’t made a strong, bold decision ever while with Denver. Well, his t-shirt mottos of “More” after the bye last year and “Today” at camp this year are pretty f’ing bold and inspirational... or not.

What, you didn’t like “no surviving”? :tsk:

NightTrainLayne
08-13-2018, 11:42 AM

I hate to defend VJ, but wasn't this from right after the game?

A good leader/coach would tell Lynch face-to-face, not do it in the press I think.

BeefStew25
08-13-2018, 11:51 AM
I hate to defend VJ, but wasn't this from right after the game?

A good leader/coach would tell Lynch face-to-face, not do it in the press I think.

Correct!

If you treat bad players like crap, the good ones won’t be far behind.

LawDog
08-13-2018, 12:52 PM
What, you didn’t like “no surviving”? :tsk:

I still don’t really know what that even meant.

LawDog
08-13-2018, 12:59 PM
Watched the replay last night. During the game one of the announcers, Griese I believe, was talking about VJ and how he needs to find ways to be more assertive, including with the coaching staff (giving them direction, not just letting them do their thing). I found that very telling. He, as I said above, lacks the ability to be bold. He will never have success as a head coach, at least not in Denver.

WARHORSE
08-13-2018, 01:16 PM

VJ explained this on the Today show with Matt Lauer.

Lauer: "Coach Vance, last question. What does 'No surviving' mean?"

VJ: "Well um, Matt, great question. Great question. But um, good one. Good one. Well Matt, we got a lot of um, work to do. I'll um, check the film of course. Its still early Matt. But um, still very early in the season."

Lauer: "Of course. Coach Vance, what would you say 'No surving' means?"

VJ: "Well um, of course, of course. I uh, was going to answer that um, but um, we gotta get to it. It takes time, it takes time. And once again, great question, really um, great question. But um, oh look, there's Al Roker! Nice, nice."

Lauer: "We'll be right back"

BroncoWave
08-13-2018, 01:34 PM

I'm pretty sure it meant instead of just doing to bare minimum to simply "survive", he wanted them to do more and push harder. "No surviving" is a pretty dumb way to say that, but I feel like it's pretty obvious that's what he was getting at. Maybe something like "surviving is not enough" would have made more sense.

WARHORSE
08-13-2018, 01:57 PM
I'm pretty sure it meant instead of just doing to bare minimum to simply "survive", he wanted them to do more and push harder. "No surviving" is a pretty dumb way to say that, but I feel like it's pretty obvious that's what he was getting at. Maybe something like "surviving is not enough" would have made more sense.

"No eating" would have done just a good a job as 'No surviving'. :heh:

slim
08-13-2018, 03:20 PM
I thought last season's motto was "no winning"?

BeefStew25
08-13-2018, 03:29 PM
No fap is this years.

FanInAZ
08-13-2018, 04:41 PM
When it comes to 1st round pick, especially QBs, the competition usually is "rigged." Poor performances that would get 7th round picks & UDFAs cut are tolerated for a lot longer then the fan base would like. Like I said in another thread, when Carolina knew they were going to draft Newton, they dumped all of the QBs on their roster and brought in a bunch of scrubs that would create a situation where the Panthers would have no choice but to start Cam. The question is, at what point do you say enough is enough to that 1st round pick? When do you tell him to shape up or ship out?

MOtorboat
08-13-2018, 05:28 PM

He realized pretty early that he might get fired.

Nomad
08-13-2018, 05:31 PM

Good God....I know. :tsk: Though.....MO has his eye on Browning. #suckforbrowning :D

MOtorboat
08-13-2018, 05:34 PM
Good God....I know. :tsk: Though.....MO has his eye on Browning. #suckforbrowning :D

He's a dude, Nomad. A dude.

Krugan
08-13-2018, 05:34 PM
I have always felt Lynch was a 4th round QB who happened to be in a extremely weak QB draft class.

That pick is irrelevant now, his slot is used, its past can not be gotten back, so it should not be a reason to hold onto the player. His cap hit, thats a different animal.

1.8 mil in cap hit to release him, guess we shall see soon enough.

Nomad
08-13-2018, 05:35 PM
He's a dude, Nomad. A dude.

I’ll be paying more attention to the Huskies.

Elevation inc
08-14-2018, 06:56 AM
Kelly earned his way into Number 2. Kid is legit I feel good about him, especially since that was his first game action in like 2 years. Its up to him now to show we don't need a vet back-up.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-14-2018, 09:54 AM
Kelly earned his way into Number 2. Kid is legit I feel good about him, especially since that was his first game action in like 2 years. Its up to him now to show we don't need a vet back-up.

I think his production Sunday is a reflection of how hard he has worked.

Davii
08-15-2018, 12:10 AM
I have always felt Lynch was a 4th round QB who happened to be in a extremely weak QB draft class.

That pick is irrelevant now, his slot is used, its past can not be gotten back, so it should not be a reason to hold onto the player. His cap hit, thats a different animal.

1.8 mil in cap hit to release him, guess we shall see soon enough.

Do we spend less if we keep him? He gets that money for sure if he's still on the team and that's a wasted roster spot as well. Seems it's more costly to keep him in the long run

Cugel
08-15-2018, 05:55 AM
Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post

Let's hope it isn't Vance Joseph's permanent motto.

Things are not going in a good direction right now. The pass defense is looking a lot worse without Talib, Joe Woods isn't great compared with Wade, the first team offense still can't tie their own shoes, and Vance isn't a great head coach. RT is not looking great. For the fifth year in a row, they are basically hoping that re-treads can shore up their T situation and so far it's not happening.

And we don't have a QB like Peyton who can bail out a bunch of stiffs. Case is basically Kyle Orton. If everyone around him is great, and the coaching is great, then he can have good success. If not, then he will struggle.

Cugel
08-15-2018, 06:03 AM
In 2018, he would count for $3.18M in dead money with $600,000 in cap space lost. That’s because the Broncos would be on the hook for his base salary of $1.3M. In 2019, he has $600,000 in fully guaranteed salary due but the remainder is not, so he would account for $1.27M in dead money in 2019.

That is why they are working the phones trying to trade him, but Adam Schefter insists Paxton has zero trade value. I have to think that some team would make him some kind of offer if they didn't have to give up anything real for him.

Some team could offer a player they might cut in a couple of weeks and agree to pay his bonus money, with the Broncos eating his base salary. But, that team could just wait until he becomes a FA and then pick him up. The problem is that the Broncos could hold onto him until the final cuts.

But, if they do that they are a lot more likely to see Paxton sitting at home for the season, and they would be out the entire $3.1 million. Better for them to cut him now, so that he'd have a better chance of sticking on somebody's 53 man roster, and that team having to pick up part of his $.

But, that would leave the team with only 2 QBs on the roster, so they'd need to pick up a veteran QB, and that also won't be cheap. This Paxton move is causing massive problems for the team.

They should have traded him prior to the draft when his trade stock was a bit higher than it is now, and picked up another veteran then.

But, Elway was clinging to his idiot hope that somehow Paxton would develop magically and then he, Elway would be justified in his pick.

Krugan
08-15-2018, 10:48 AM
Do we spend less if we keep him? He gets that money for sure if he's still on the team and that's a wasted roster spot as well. Seems it's more costly to keep him in the long run

Sorry this is so late, my home internet is fubar, the dog chewed thru the temp line while we were waiting for them to bury it. Seems others have answered/.