PDA

View Full Version : The root of Elway's problem finding the right QB

FanInAZ
08-11-2018, 12:22 AM
Except for Manning, Elway has always pursued QBs that are the exact opposite of who he was coming out of college. He was hailed as a potential HoFer before his name was called by Rozelle on draft day, but he keeps drafting developmental projects every time he picks someone who’s supposed to be our QB of the future. Oz was understandable because we had Manning, but why did he draft Lynch when our only QBs I recall being on our roster after Oz left for big bucks with the Texans was Sanchez & Siemian. I know I'm not as smart as Elway, but I was really hoping for a QB of the future who would be ready sooner rather than later.

So why does he keep doing this? I’ve been quietly theorizing for a while that, although he has too much class to bash Reeves in public for rushing him in to the starting lineup before he was ready, I think he know that him getting benched after debacles in his 1st 5 games gave him the time to sit under a veteran like he needed to in the 1st place. With so many of the top 2 or 3 QBs expecting to be handed the starting job before they report to their 1st training camp, and their teams seemingly bringing in FAs that are as bad as they need to be to make sure that happens, I wonder if Elway is deliberately selecting guys who are willing to sit behind a veteran that will teach them how to play the game. He trying to find a Rodgers, not a Newton.

ChubbNYiadom
08-11-2018, 12:49 AM
I'm not sure what his motivation for drafting developmental prospects are but he sure as hell does it, Elway knew Damn well even if Lynch panned out it would take 4-5 year's. He said it in the past and he said it recently about Lynch.

Just stay healthy and perform Case!

ShaneFalco
08-11-2018, 01:04 AM
I'm not sure what his motivation for drafting developmental prospects are but he sure as hell does it, Elway knew Damn well even if Lynch panned out it would take 4-5 year's. He said it in the past and he said it recently about Lynch.

lmao . lynch was a 3 year prospect. funny how it now goes to 4-5 years.

times up.

FanInAZ
08-11-2018, 01:05 AM

Just stay healthy and perform Case!

Again, this is the exact opposite of who he was coming out of college. He only sat 5 games before becoming the starter again after DeBerg when down with a shoulder separation, not 4 or 5 years.

ChubbNYiadom
08-11-2018, 01:16 AM
Again, this is the exact opposite of who he was coming out of college. He only sat 5 games before becoming the starter again after DeBerg when down with a shoulder separation, not 4 or 5 years.

They only ran about 10 play's at Memphis and he excelled, totally different in the pro's though where he's struggling obviously. His scouting report for the pro's was 4 year's, not entering college, nobody can afford to sit 4 year's in college.

ChubbNYiadom
08-11-2018, 01:20 AM

times up.

Maybe in a perfect scenario where he's in the same offense for the last two year's. Tell John that the times up because he clearly wont write him off yet. I've written him off and never even viewed Kelly asa factor. Both are terrible.

FanInAZ
08-11-2018, 01:37 AM

times up.

I'd swear you're wrong, but I just did a special Google search, "elway on paxton lynch," and adjust the search range from April 28, 2016 (the night we drafted him) - August 31, 2016 (the end of his rookie training camp): https://www.google.com/search?q=elway+on+paxton+lynch&biw=1366&bih=669&source=lnt&tbs=cdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A4%2F28%2F2016%2Ccd_max%3A8% 2F31%2F2016&tbm=

I can't find an article in which Elway made a definitive statement about Lynch defiantly sitting for multiple years. In fact, he even said in some of them that everyone would be given a chance to compete for the starter his 1st season. Whether or not that was a smoke screen, the fact a quick search of articles from the time period is going to provide us the answer. If either of you want to go through every one of the articles in the Google search link in order to settle this debate, knock yourselves out.

ChubbNYiadom
08-11-2018, 02:08 AM
Elway literally just said during the post draft interview that (we knew it would take some time with Paxton) when asked about not drafting a single quarterback. He also mentioned Chad Kelly as a guy they wanted too see as well. This is facts. You aren't going too find a link for everything John has said.

I'm not going searching for every post draft interview, but I know I seen him say that.

ChubbNYiadom
08-11-2018, 02:13 AM
Giving him a chance to compete for the starting job in year one and two was wishful thinking bro. Paxton was never going to beat out anybody for no starting job the last two year's, we pretty much should have just handed him the key's and let ugly be ugly hoping that accelerated the huge learning curve or brung in a veteran and just let him sit which is what we're doing with Case.

FanInAZ
08-11-2018, 02:46 AM
Elway literally just said during the post draft interview that (we knew it would take some time with Paxton) when asked about not drafting a single quarterback. He also mentioned Chad Kelly as a guy they wanted too see as well. This is facts. You aren't going too find a link for everything John has said.

I'm not going searching for every post draft interview, but I know I seen him say that.

Giving him a chance to compete for the starting job in year one and two was wishful thinking bro. Paxton was never going to beat out anybody for no starting job the last two year's, we pretty much should have just handed him the key's and let ugly be ugly hoping that accelerated the huge learning curve or brung in a veteran and just let him sit which is what we're doing with Case.

My previous post was directed 1st & foremost at Shane, whom I have a history with. There were many times in the past that a chain reaction of responses & counter responses between us resulted in me failing to meet my expectations for how I should interact with others. So my main object was to disengage him in a debate that had no chance of having a fruitful outcome.

Furthermore, I'm sure you've noticed by now the references to my Autism/Asperger's next to my avatar & in my sig line. Just as a blind person will develop increased abilities in the other senses, so any part of the mind &/or body sick or injuries will be compensated for with increased abilities in others. My executive functioning impairments (such as struggling with organizational skills, problem solving through typical means, etc.) are compensated for with superior abilities for memorization of facts. Nevertheless, “perfect recall” is a bunch of Hollywood non-sense. And when you consider that what I’m confident is true about the expectation of Lynch is identical to that of his predecessor, Oz, I have to consider the possibility that I’m getting the 2 mix up. It wouldn’t be the 1st time this happened, nor would it be the last. I’ve fact knowledge when I’ve come to the realization that I’ve made such errors on this board on many occasions.

All that being said, I am extremely confident that my ability to accurately remember facts of this nature may be superior to anyone on this message board, even though it’s not worth the effort to prove it to those who will never admit that they’re wrong about anything.

Shazam!
08-11-2018, 02:56 AM
Last i checked Denver had a problem Drafting QBs for the last 40 years before Elway even threw a pass for the Broncos.

Shazam!
08-11-2018, 04:32 AM

My previous post was directed 1st & foremost at Shane, whom I have a history with. There were many times in the past that a chain reaction of responses & counter responses between us resulted in me failing to meet my expectations for how I should interact with others. So my main object was to disengage him in a debate that had no chance of having a fruitful outcome.

Furthermore, I'm sure you've noticed by now the references to my Autism/Asperger's next to my avatar & in my sig line. Just as a blind person will develop increased abilities in the other senses, so any part of the mind &/or body sick or injuries will be compensated for with increased abilities in others. My executive functioning impairments (such as struggling with organizational skills, problem solving through typical means, etc.) are compensated for with superior abilities for memorization of facts. Nevertheless, “perfect recall” is a bunch of Hollywood non-sense. And when you consider that what I’m confident is true about the expectation of Lynch is identical to that of his predecessor, Oz, I have to consider the possibility that I’m getting the 2 mix up. It wouldn’t be the 1st time this happened, nor would it be the last. I’ve fact knowledge when I’ve come to the realization that I’ve made such errors on this board on many occasions.

All that being said, I am extremely confident that my ability to accurately remember facts of this nature may be superior to anyone on this message board, even though it’s not worth the effort to prove it to those who will never admit that they’re wrong about anything.

Do NOT use your reactions to Shane as a benchmark of your mental state!

Tangerine
08-11-2018, 09:39 AM
The root of Elway's problems finding a QB is that it's difficult finding a QB, especially when you draft in the 20's most years.

Teams like the Jets have been searching for one since Joe Namath, the Bears, since Sid Luckman. You just have to keep trying different guys and hope you eventually get lucky.

Northman
08-11-2018, 11:23 AM
The root of Elway's problems finding a QB is that it's difficult finding a QB, especially when you draft in the 20's most years.

Teams like the Jets have been searching for one since Joe Namath, the Bears, since Sid Luckman. You just have to keep trying different guys and hope you eventually get lucky.

Its not just that though, its the types of QB's drafting as well. Many are projects which doesnt help his cause.

Shazam!
08-11-2018, 11:33 AM
To play Devils Advocate tho, how many top tier highly touted and highly paid QBs never made it

Cugel
08-11-2018, 03:17 PM

Basically this. Elway only came to the Broncos because they were horrible in 1982 and had the #4 pick of the draft, but Baltimore had the #1 pick and Elway refused to play for Irsay and joined the NY Yankees farm team. He was ready to walk and stay out of football for a year and re-enter the draft again the next year or never - he was willing to stay in baseball, forcing a trade.

And the Colts only got Andrew Luck because Manning got hurt, and the rest of their team was so horrible they lost 14 games and got the #1 pick, after firing both their coach and GM, right at the exact time that the best QB prospect since Peyton entered the NFL draft.

Other than something blind obvious like Luck, or other highly touted prospects (Eli Manning and Phillip Rivers, etc.) you have to get lucky. Sometimes you draft Russell Wilson in the 3rd round, and sometimes you wind up with Brock Osweiler in the 2nd.

There's just no way to know in advance. If there was Russell Wilson would have been the first or second pick of the draft, not fallen to the third round. Dak Prescott would have been drafted in the first, not the 4th round, Drew Brees would never have fallen to the 2nd round, Jimmy Grapolo would not have gone with the 62nd pick of the 2nd round, Aaron Rogers would never have fallen to #24, and of course, Tom Brady would never have lasted till the 6th round!

First, he picked Osweiler. Then Osweiler played well enough that everybody thought he might be very good, then he went to Houston, leaving the Broncos with NO future QB.

Then they drafted the best QB available to them, they had zero shot at either Goff or Wentz, they took the 3rd QB. After Paxton was drafted #26, the Jets drafted Christian Hackenburg, #51, and Patriots drafted Jacoby Brissett #91 in the third round. All these teams passed on Prescott multiple times.

So, it's not stone obvious from the start that Lynch couldn't play. It's only in retrospect that we see it for the colossal blunder and waste of two seasons it actually was.

BeefStew25
08-11-2018, 04:46 PM
To play Devils Advocate tho, how many top tier highly touted and highly paid QBs never made it

Well yes.

But he isn’t even lucky.

FanInAZ
08-11-2018, 06:45 PM

How many highly touted QBs have been drafted by train wrecks, like the Browns?

Shazam!
08-11-2018, 07:19 PM

How many highly touted QBs have been drafted by train wrecks, like the Browns?

...but they were wrecked by a putrid organization. Like David Carr when he was in Houston for example. His confidence was shattered and he was shellshocked from the beating he took. Sometimes its the circumstances.

FanInAZ
08-11-2018, 07:31 PM
...but they were wrecked by a putrid organization. Like David Carr when he was in Houston for example. His confidence was shattered and he was shellshocked from the beating he took. Sometimes its the circumstances.

That was my point.

Poet
08-11-2018, 09:59 PM
He's just bad at finding QB's. They're hard to find, but he's also bad at it. He's better in FA than he is at drafting, and he's an average drafter.

Shazam!
08-11-2018, 10:12 PM
He may have found one...

Poet
08-11-2018, 10:13 PM
He may have found one...

Kelly would be such an awesome story, man.

FFS, redemption stories are one of the most American things ever!

Cugel
08-11-2018, 10:17 PM
He's just bad at finding QB's. They're hard to find, but he's also bad at it. He's better in FA than he is at drafting, and he's an average drafter.

He's certainly made horrible draft day decisions in the past (Lynch, Montee Ball, Sylvester Williams, Ty Sambrailo, Michael Schofield, Carlos Henderson, Cody Latimer) to name a few.

But, he's also made some decent picks. Even David Williams, his 7th round RB is looking like he can play in this league and will undoubtedly find a team if the Broncos cut him.

OrangeHoof
08-12-2018, 01:37 PM
The root of Elway's problem finding the right QB
....teams don't just cut Hall of Fame quarterbacks like they used to. :confused:

Shazam!
08-12-2018, 01:44 PM
The root of Elway's problem finding the right QB
....teams don't just cut Hall of Fame quarterbacks like they used to. :confused:

Its more than that. See Lynch BS

nevcraw
08-12-2018, 06:18 PM
Sure...Elway is bad a finding qb’s at the spots they were picking. In order the get the guys you all want they would have given away the farm. Outside the top 2-3 in every draft they are all projects. Very very few blossom into studs outside of the top dogs.

Time will tell if they should have taken one this year instead of Chubb.

Shazam!
08-12-2018, 06:51 PM
Sure...Elway is bad a finding qb’s at the spots they were picking. In order the get the guys you all want they would have given away the farm. Outside the top 2-3 in every draft they are all projects. Very very few blossom into studs outside of the top dogs.

Time will tell if they should have taken one this year instead of Chubb.

Rosen and Allen were available. Im just saying.

ChubbNYiadom
08-12-2018, 07:05 PM
Allen looked solid in his first game experience.

Rosen not so much and it was said that Rosen was the most NFL ready. You just never know sometimes.

However there's a lot of football to be played before determining whose what. Chubb will be one of the greats but until we find a franchise quarterback we're going to have that cloud over our head's. The elite quarterback is the best way too be relevant year in year out for contention.

MOtorboat
08-12-2018, 07:35 PM
Well yes.

But he isn’t even lucky.

One could argue that he is lucky, because Manning fell in his lap.

Shazam!
08-12-2018, 07:37 PM
The elite quarterback is the best way too be relevant year in year out for contention.

REALLY?! Wow!

Are you in NY

nevcraw
08-12-2018, 07:50 PM

He had competition from 3 other teams and went about his business in landing the best FA of all time. You say lucky? I say - he’d do it like a boss.

Shazam!
08-12-2018, 07:53 PM

He had competition from 3 other teams and went about his business in landing the best FA of all time. You say lucky? I say - he’d do it like a boss.

It wasnt even worth a response.

MOtorboat
08-12-2018, 07:55 PM

I’m not taking away from what he did as an exec in his first four years, it was awesome. But he just so happened to desperately need a quarterback the year that the greatest free agent to ever hit the quarterback market hit the market. And his neck turned out to be just fine. There was luck involved in that.

ShaneFalco
08-12-2018, 10:46 PM
hey isnt tebow the only bronco qb drafted to win a playoff game or something?

i heard that somewhere.

ChubbNYiadom
08-13-2018, 01:09 AM
REALLY?! Wow!

Are you in NY

Yes really, I'm glad I could break that news for you guy's.

NightTerror218
08-13-2018, 10:30 AM
Elway loves the prototypical big arm big QB. But he always drafts guys with huge upside and very low downside.

FanInAZ
08-13-2018, 04:11 PM
hey isnt tebow the only bronco qb drafted to win a playoff game or something?

i heard that somewhere.

Incorrect on 3 accounts:

1) In the game that you're referring to, Demaryius Thomas caught a barely adequate throw from Tebow, against a busted Steelers' D, then out ran everyone for about 70 yards to the endzone for the 80 yard winning TD. Yes, Tebow had a solid 1st half of that game, but the D played great the entire game. So why should Tebow get 100% credit for that win?

2) After the 2010 Chicago Bears went 10-5 with Jay Cuter (2006 1st round pick) as QB (11-5 overall), wich got them a 1st round bye, they advance to the NFCCG by defeating the Seattle Seahawks in NFCDR. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201101160chi.htm

3) After the 2002 Pittsburg Steelers went 7-3-1 with Tommy Mattox (1992 1st round pick & Elway's 1st heir apparent) as QB (10-5-1 overall), they defeated the Cleveland Browns in the AFCWC round. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200301050pit.htm

ShaneFalco
08-13-2018, 08:59 PM
Incorrect on 3 accounts:

1) In the game that you're referring to, Demaryius Thomas caught a barely adequate throw from Tebow, against a busted Steelers' D, then out ran everyone for about 70 yards to the endzone for the 80 yard winning TD. Yes, Tebow had a solid 1st half of that game, but the D played great the entire game. So why should Tebow get 100% credit for that win?

2) After the 2010 Chicago Bears went 10-5 with Jay Cuter (2006 1st round pick) as QB (11-5 overall), wich got them a 1st round bye, they advance to the NFCCG by defeating the Seattle Seahawks in NFCDR. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201101160chi.htm

3) After the 2002 Pittsburg Steelers went 7-3-1 with Tommy Mattox (1992 1st round pick & Elway's 1st heir apparent) as QB (10-5-1 overall), they defeated the Cleveland Browns in the AFCWC round. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200301050pit.htm
sorry i meant only QB drafted by broncos to win a playoff game for the broncos.

So jay cutler doing it for the bears is meh and maddox for steelers is even more meh

and yes he threw for a playoff record against the #1 D in football.

ChubbNYiadom
08-13-2018, 10:30 PM
Incorrect on 3 accounts:

Sorry but that throw too Thomas was Tebow best throw of his entire NFL career. Doesn't matter what coverage they played, they played zero help because they wanted too stop tebows read action early in downs and they committed to it and tebow burned them with the strike across the middle on a perfect throw hitting Thomas in stride so h could turn on the jets and deliver a brutal stuff arm to the face.

Cugel
08-13-2018, 11:42 PM
Sorry but that throw too Thomas was Tebow best throw of his entire NFL career. Doesn't matter what coverage they played, they played zero help because they wanted too stop tebows read action early in downs and they committed to it and tebow burned them with the strike across the middle on a perfect throw hitting Thomas in stride so h could turn on the jets and deliver a brutal stuff arm to the face.

Even a blind pig will find a truffle once in his life. That play was Tebow's truffle. There was not to be another.

slim
08-14-2018, 12:26 AM
I’m not taking away from what he did as an exec in his first four years, it was awesome. But he just so happened to desperately need a quarterback the year that the greatest free agent to ever hit the quarterback market hit the market. And his neck turned out to be just fine. There was luck involved in that.

There is luck involved in nearly every success story, you sawed off rabble-rouser.

MOtorboat
08-14-2018, 12:28 AM
There is luck involved in nearly every success story, you sawed off rabble-rouser.

Yeah, I'll stand by the amount of luck it took for the Broncos to need a quarterback at exactly the right time that Peyton Manning was available.

slim
08-14-2018, 12:35 AM
Yeah, I'll stand by the amount of luck it took for the Broncos to need a quarterback at exactly the right time that Peyton Manning was available.

About the same amount of luck as the Colts had that same year? Or maybe the luck the Patriots had when drafting a QB in round 6? Or when GB signed Reggie White?

MOtorboat
08-14-2018, 12:39 AM
About the same amount of luck as the Colts had that same year? Or maybe the luck the Patriots had when drafting a QB in round 6? Or when GB signed Reggie White?

Yes.

:whoknows:

ChubbNYiadom
08-14-2018, 12:41 AM
Even a blind pig will find a truffle once in his life. That play was Tebow's truffle. There was not to be another.

Yeah it was a amazing moment too have your only throw ever though. Playoffs, Overtime, sudden death for the game winner man the crowd exploded.

slim
08-14-2018, 12:41 AM
Yes.

:whoknows:

Okay. Your posts had a negative vibe to them. Just making sure...

MOtorboat
08-14-2018, 12:42 AM
Yeah it was a amazing moment too have your only throw ever though. Playoffs, Overtime, sudden death for the game winner man the crowd exploded.

To. One 'o.'

Please continue.

LawDog
08-14-2018, 01:26 AM
To. One 'o.'

Please continue.

His keyboard doesn’t math very well either.

MOtorboat
08-14-2018, 01:30 AM
His keyboard doesn’t math very well either.

Just one 'o.' It'll drive me crazy.

BeefStew25
08-14-2018, 08:38 AM
Tebow and Bay Bay beat the Steelers in the playoffs when we should have been 4-12. Best upside season ever. I was there. It was amazing.

Davii
08-14-2018, 09:02 AM
Tebow and Bay Bay beat the Steelers in the playoffs when we should have been 4-12. Best upside season ever. I was there. It was amazing.

Weren’t you also at SB 50?

BeefStew25
08-14-2018, 09:03 AM

Well yes. Wasn’t everyone here?

Shazam!
08-14-2018, 09:06 AM

I was there in soul and spirit, just like the 6 before that.

BeefStew25
08-14-2018, 09:12 AM

Whatever you have to tell yourself

Shazam!
08-14-2018, 10:24 AM

Whatever you have to tell yourself

Im not telling myself anything. Im telling you.

BeefStew25
08-14-2018, 10:31 AM
Im not telling myself anything. Im telling you.

It’s bouncing off me because you’re a bore.

Shazam!
08-14-2018, 10:39 AM
I am disappointed i dont excite you.

Davii
08-16-2018, 12:34 AM

Not everyone, but a lot of people were here. Me involved m included

Cugel
08-18-2018, 07:16 AM

Yeah, but it was obvious to Elway at the time that it was unsustainable. That team with Tebow could never have repeated their success from that season. They needed to find a new QB and Elway knew it and was determined to do it.

Fans remember the overtime win against the Steelers but seem to forget the 45-10 soul crushing humiliation in Foxborough by Tom Brady.

Lest anybody forget what Tebow REALLY WAS, here a gentle reminder:

"The Patriots jumped out to a 14–0 lead in the first quarter (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Denver_Broncos_season#AFC_Divisional_Playoffs :_at_#1_New_England_Patriots), with quarterback Tom Brady throwing a pair of touchdown passes—a 7-yarder to wide receiver Wes Welker and a 10-yarder to tight end Rob Gronkowski. The Broncos responded at the beginning of the second quarter, with running back Willis McGahee rushing for a 5-yard touchdown, but the Patriots subsequently added to lead, with Brady throwing three more touchdown passes—a 12-yarder to Gronkowski, a 61-yarder to wide receiver Deion Branch followed by a 19-yarder to Gronkowski just before halftime.

So, let's stop there. The Patriots jumped out to a 14 point lead in the first quarter. The Broncos responded early in the 2nd Quarter making it 14-7 Patriots. At that point the game seemed like it might be competitive.

But, then Brady just marched down the field for 3 more TDs before half-time. 5 TDs in the first half, 35 points.

It was game over in the second quarter. And the biggest reason was Tim Tebow. He was crushed in that game. Literally. He played the game seriously hurt because his stupid "I'm going to run around like a hero out there and the fans think it's great seeing me tuck and run and dive head first into a pile of defenders for a first down."

There's a reason why QBs do not do that, because the ones who do tend not to last too long or have too much sustained success.

But we don't need to belabor the rest of Tebow's career. He flammed out with the Broncos, Jets and Patriots after he was re-united with Josh McMoron and the Cheatriots.

If McDaniels with that New England organization couldn't get anything out of Tim Tebow NOBODY was going to. Those dudes have managed for years to get amazing performances out of their players. And Players who leave the Patriots and go elsewhere rarely have the same success they had in NE.

If Tebow had any ability to become an established NFL QB he could have done it there in NE. In short he had the opportunity to become what Jimmy Garapolo actually became - a first line starter in the NFL and ultimately get traded to another team where he would be given the opportunity to become an NFL star. The Garapolo story, but with Tebow as Garapolo. He was there first.

The Patriots continued their onslaught in the third quarter, with a 17-yard touchdown pass to tight end Aaron Hernandez. A 41-yard field goal by Broncos' placekicker Matt Prater made the score 42–10. The Patriots added to their lead early in the fourth quarter, with a 20-yard field goal by placekicker Stephen Gostkowski, which would be the last scoring play of the game by either team, sealing the win for New England"

"And The Beat Goes On! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOaxEa5ONJw)"

This lopsided beating brought conclusion, at least for the season, to one of the most inspiring stories of competitive spirit the NFL has seen in years. Tebow was adored by the masses, rebuffed by the experts and had virtually no chance from the get-go against the Patriots (https://www.denverpost.com/2012/01/14/tom-brady-leads-patriots-45-10-rout-of-broncos-tim-tebow-in-nfl-playoffs/).

Enough said.

BeefStew25
08-18-2018, 07:42 AM
No shit. Tebow still beat the Steelers.