PDA

View Full Version : 'Playmaker' Chad Kelly needs No. 2 reps sooner, not later

ShaneFalco
08-08-2018, 09:20 PM
https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-broncos/Article/Playmaker-Broncos-QB-Chad-Kelly-needs-No-2-reps-sooner-not-later-120438407/

The Denver Broncos can dance around the topic all they want. I refuse to.
Chad Kelly has earned second-string quarterback snaps. Now. Period.
He hasn't had the most head-turning training camp, no. He's not fully polished or perhaps merely halfway refined. He's a former seventh-round draft pick coming off multiple surgeries and yet to take a single meaningful snap in the NFL.
But Kelly is also something that his competitor, Paxton Lynch, isn't.
“He’s a playmaker. He’s always been a playmaker," Broncos head coach Vance Joseph said. "You watch his college tape two years ago, he just makes plays. It doesn’t always look pretty, but he just makes plays.”
This reputation was on display Sunday during the first scrimmage of camp. With Case Keenum and the starting offense floundering, and Lynch wholly unimpressive if not calamitous, Kelly entered with the threes and immediately brought a spark, completing a pair of beautifully-thrown touchdown passes to Jordan Leslie and Mark Chapman, respectively. He even sacrificed himself on a downfield block for running back De'Angelo Henderson during an ensuing "series."
I'm fully aware it's practice, and deducing anything based on 12 plays between third-stringers is a fool's errand. But I also know that Kelly's effort was undeniable. What he put on tape was unmistakably thought-provoking, forcing an admission from those seemingly stacking the deck against him.
“Chad looked good," said Joseph. "I think he threw two touchdowns within five plays. Yeah, he looked good.”

Joseph, entering a do-or-die second season, has preached competition -- over and over and over. The Broncos say the best man, either Lynch or Kelly, will back up Keenum when real football rolls around. But if it appears like they want Lynch, their 2016 first-round choice, to win the job ... well, that's because they do.
Consider: Kelly still, through eight practices, hasn't taken a No. 2 rep. Not a single one. The prevailing notion was he finally did enough in the scrimmage to attain such an opportunity.
Nope.

Cont...

BeefStew25
08-08-2018, 10:04 PM
Shane. No troll. Would you submit to Kelly.

ShaneFalco
08-08-2018, 10:06 PM
Shane. No troll. Would you submit to Kelly.

Tebow yes, Kelly we will see. but im close

ChubbNYiadom
08-08-2018, 10:20 PM
It's good that Kelly threw a couple touchdowns too whoever those two guys are, but the hype is getting out of control when somebody says he sacrificed himself with a block downfield when the quarterbacks can't even be touched, but yet he sacrificed himself?

The whole get behind the underdog thing has been trending in Broncos land, Trevor, Sloter, Now Kelly. I personally refuse to get excited about any back-up quarterback we have until I see them making play's in the game. Saying Kelly looks better than Paxton isn't really saying much to me. Since Paxton isn't good.

Plus if you watch the day to day highlights of practices on DB.com it's showing all the quarterbacks making great throws everyday but yet Paxton is getting left out of the conversation. The real battle starts Saturday night though. I fully expect Kelly too dominate the entire 2nd half with all the hype he's receiving, I don't expect much from Paxton.

Canmore
08-08-2018, 10:23 PM
It's good that Kelly threw a couple touchdowns too whoever those two guys are, but the hype is getting out of control when somebody says he sacrificed himself with a block downfield when the quarterbacks can't even be touched, but yet he sacrificed himself?

The whole get behind the underdog thing has been trending in Broncos land, Trevor, Sloter, Now Kelly. I personally refuse to get excited about any back-up quarterback we have until I see them making play's in the game. Saying Kelly looks better than Paxton isn't really saying much to me. Since Paxton isn't good.

Plus if you watch the day to day highlights of practices on DB.com it's showing all the quarterbacks making great throws everyday but yet Paxton is getting left out of the conversation. The real battle starts Saturday night though. I fully expect Kelly too dominate the entire 2nd half with all the hype he's receiving, I don't expect much from Paxton.

Isn't that the point?

ChubbNYiadom
08-08-2018, 10:32 PM
Isn't that the point?

Neither is Kelly any good right now, couple throws every few day's vs camp fodder isn't exciting.

ShaneFalco
08-08-2018, 10:48 PM
please. the guy is in his first training camp after not playing football for 18 months.

he looks great from where he has come from and he still isnt 100% back.

Poet
08-09-2018, 02:52 AM
He is our most talented quarterback. That's for certain. I'm hoping that he ends up becoming our starter down the road. Kelly's talent is robust and him at full fruition would be a boon.

Shazam!
08-09-2018, 02:56 AM
He is our most talented quarterback. That's for certain. I'm hoping that he ends up becoming our starter down the road. Kelly's talent is robust and him at full fruition would be a boon.

He is?

Poet
08-09-2018, 03:07 AM
He is?

Kelly was slated to be an early round pick for a reason. The issue isn't what he is physically capable of. The issue isn't even what he's cognitively capable of regarding football smarts. It's maturity, and arguably leadership. He's busted his ass just to get back to square one, and he doesn't act like he is entitled to anything, so those are good signs. He's easily the most gifted of the bunch. Lynch has a lot of talent, but he's so mentally frail at this point that a lot of it is negated. Which is a shame because the kid was a real prospect at one point. Oh well.

Keenum is the typical underdog story for a reason.

ShaneFalco
08-09-2018, 03:28 AM
i think keenum helps kelly alot to be honest. This guy is young. And will only get alot better with guidance from case.

Poet
08-09-2018, 03:30 AM
i think keenum helps kelly alot to be honest. This guy is young. And will only get alot better with guidance from case.

I think Lynch helps him the most because he's an example of what a QB should never become.

Shazam!
08-09-2018, 06:29 AM
Keenum is the best QB on the roster... until he is outplayed

Cugel
08-09-2018, 01:55 PM
There are going to be a TON of pissed-off Broncos fans when the Broncos cut Sloter and try and sign him to the practice squad.

If Paxton wins the "backup battle" he'll be the #2 QB and they will keep 2 QBs, dumping Kelly.

If Paxton loses the "backup battle" they will get rid of Paxton, and sign a veteran QB to backup Keenum, and cut Kelly and try and put him on the practice squad.

I think this is the most likely scenario. Joseph refuses to name Kelly as the backup although he's been better in practices than Paxton (not saying much).

But, it's very unlikely they will be able to keep 3 QBs on the active 53 man roster.

Kelly won't be the backup because he has ZERO active game starts and a backup has to have experience for someone to have confidence in him. (Or else be Elway's pet, one or the other).

Poet
08-09-2018, 05:34 PM

It has nothing to do with talent, though. You are very defensive over Keenum. You should stop that, you monster.

Shazam!
08-09-2018, 06:12 PM

It has nothing to do with talent, though. You are very defensive over Keenum. You should stop that, you monster.

Experience, not talent. Hes forgot more than Kelly can possibly know right now. Can he be the guy? Maybe. Is he now? Its not even close.

ShaneFalco
08-09-2018, 06:32 PM
Kelly hadn't played a snap in almost 2 years.

And it only took 8 days of camp for him to start outperforming a guy who is going into his 3rd season.

Imagine how much better Kelly will be after a couple games and a few more weeks of training camp.

Shazam!
08-09-2018, 06:35 PM

And it only took 8 days of camp for him to start outperforming a guy who is going into his 3rd season.

Imagine how much better Kelly will be after a couple games and a few more weeks of training camp.

He beat out a Paxton Lynch who couldnt beat out a Tim Tebow of 2011. So what? Lets see how Kelly does. Im not trashing the guy. But he will need time. He is not ready. Keenum is the guy for now. Accept it.

ShaneFalco
08-09-2018, 06:38 PM
He beat out a Paxton Lynch who couldnt beat out a Tim Tebow of 2011. So what? Lets see how Kelly does. Im not trashing the guy. But he will need time. He is not ready. Keenum is the guy for now. Accept it.

I dont get where you feel im negative on case. I think he can learn alot from case as he develops.

I am just sick of seeing Lynch with the #2s. Its a waste of reps.

Shazam!
08-09-2018, 06:49 PM
The 3rd Stringer is always a popular guy. He may have the pedigree, but he needs time.

I think just let Lynch be Lynch. He will play himself to the bench.

Poet
08-09-2018, 06:58 PM
The 3rd Stringer is always a popular guy. He may have the pedigree, but he needs time.

I think just let Lynch be Lynch. He will play himself to the bench.

This is atypical, though. The third stringer was a day one talent heading into the draft and is busting his ass. No one is saying he needs to start over the strangely beloved Keenum, Shazam.

FanInAZ
08-09-2018, 07:29 PM
There are going to be a TON of pissed-off Broncos fans when the Broncos cut Sloter and try and sign him to the practice squad.

If Paxton wins the "backup battle" he'll be the #2 QB and they will keep 2 QBs, dumping Kelly.

If Paxton loses the "backup battle" they will get rid of Paxton, and sign a veteran QB to backup Keenum, and cut Kelly and try and put him on the practice squad.

I think this is the most likely scenario. Joseph refuses to name Kelly as the backup although he's been better in practices than Paxton (not saying much).

But, it's very unlikely they will be able to keep 3 QBs on the active 53 man roster.

Kelly won't be the backup because he has ZERO active game starts and a backup has to have experience for someone to have confidence in him. (Or else be Elway's pet, one or the other).

The Broncos have always had 3 QBs on the active roster.

Shazam!
08-09-2018, 07:38 PM
Wht I dont understand is all the hate on Keenum.

Poet
08-09-2018, 07:52 PM

There isn't any. There's only one person vocal in doubting him on the board. FFS, you have more people on the site who think he can be elite than think it was a questionable signing.

Shazam!
08-09-2018, 08:04 PM
I fall right in the middle but like ive said even last year, gotta see the OLine.

Poet
08-09-2018, 08:07 PM
I fall right in the middle but like ive said even last year, gotta see the OLine.

One of the reasons why he was signed is that he does pretty well under pressure. He doesn't have excuses, though he's not the type of person who looks for them.

FanInAZ
08-09-2018, 08:14 PM

Some people just don't except the concept of "late bloomers," & therefore won't give him the benefit of the doubt that last year could be an indication that he's finally got it. Alex Smith, who struggled for the 1st 6 years of his career, would've led the 49ers to a SB if his PR could just could just avoid muffing 2 punts in the NFCCG. After a 6-2-1 start the following season, he was supplanted by Kaepernick following a mid-season injury. He then went to the Chief were he's been solid, superior to anyone we've had not named Manning.

I'm not guaranteeing that Keenum will do the same thing, but it wouldn't be unprecedented. I will say that the biggest thing that he has in common with Smith is that neither we're on teams whose success hindged on the play of the QBs, but their Ds. Although, the Broncos don't have RBs who have demonstrated themselves to be anywhere near as good as Gore (49ers) or Charles (Chiefs).

Cugel
08-09-2018, 10:59 PM

They haven't had as much talent deep on the roster as now. For instance, 7 draft picks could easily make this roster. The TE group is an example. Jeff Heurman might actually be the worst TE on the roster, but as the veteran he's almost certain to make it. Yet he has never been a proven player so how can they just roll with 3 TEs?

The WR group is much more talented than in years past and it's not just Courtland Sutton either.

The RBs are similar. Phillip Lindsay and David Williams are probably better than Devontae Booker (who seems to the be 1 RB who hasn't impressed in camp so far), but they are deep down on the depth chart. Will they keep 5 RBs? If not then who will they cut?

I am in favor of cutting Paxton immediately and keeping Chad Kelly on the 53, but that is just not likely because of Elway's idiot fixation with "his" draft pick.

But, if they keep 3 QBs they are going to be sacrificing real talent elsewhere on the roster.

It would probably mean getting rid of FB Andy Janovich for instance, because they need to keep 4 TEs (since none of them is an established veteran with proven ability).

In short it's a numbers game, and they can't keep 3 QBs without real sacrifice elsewhere and losing a really valuable player in order to keep Paxton Lynch who is completely and totally useless.

Elway's idiocy may force them to keep 3 QBs on the roster, but probably in that case they will pick up a veteran in FA and cut Chad Kelly and try to sneak him through waivers onto the practice squad.

I am NOT in favor of that, and most Broncos fans will be angry if they do it, but that's what it looks like happening because VJ cannot go into the season with Paxton as his only backup QB.

NOt if he wants to keep his job if Keenum gets hurt for a couple of weeks.

ChubbNYiadom
08-09-2018, 11:20 PM

Is he really beating out Lynch or is some reporter's and fans bias? Because after 8 days of camp Kelly is still #3, and if he was so great then surely he'd force himself into the #2 spot.

FanInAZ
08-09-2018, 11:35 PM
They haven't had as much talent deep on the roster as now. For instance, 7 draft picks could easily make this roster. The TE group is an example. Jeff Heurman might actually be the worst TE on the roster, but as the veteran he's almost certain to make it. Yet he has never been a proven player so how can they just roll with 3 TEs?

The WR group is much more talented than in years past and it's not just Courtland Sutton either.

The RBs are similar. Phillip Lindsay and David Williams are probably better than Devontae Booker (who seems to the be 1 RB who hasn't impressed in camp so far), but they are deep down on the depth chart. Will they keep 5 RBs? If not then who will they cut?

I am in favor of cutting Paxton immediately and keeping Chad Kelly on the 53, but that is just not likely because of Elway's idiot fixation with "his" draft pick.

But, if they keep 3 QBs they are going to be sacrificing real talent elsewhere on the roster.

It would probably mean getting rid of FB Andy Janovich for instance, because they need to keep 4 TEs (since none of them is an established veteran with proven ability).

In short it's a numbers game, and they can't keep 3 QBs without real sacrifice elsewhere and losing a really valuable player in order to keep Paxton Lynch who is completely and totally useless.

Elway's idiocy may force them to keep 3 QBs on the roster, but probably in that case they will pick up a veteran in FA and cut Chad Kelly and try to sneak him through waivers onto the practice squad.

I am NOT in favor of that, and most Broncos fans will be angry if they do it, but that's what it looks like happening because VJ cannot go into the season with Paxton as his only backup QB.

Or, Elway know that its harder to develop QBs, and so he not going to put 1 on the PS that another team can steal at a moments notice because doing so would be a complete waist of the time and effort put into developing that QB.

Remember, back up QBs got their respective teams to the NFCCG last year, the winner of which then led his team to a SB championship. The year before, a 2nd & 3rd string QBs led the Patriots to a 3-1 start during Brady's suspension. The year before that, we got terrible play for almost the entire season from our QB position on our way to the SB championship. 3 consecutive years of conclusive proof that a teams success doesn't have to be solely dependent on your starting QB. If you can get serviceable play from a QB with great teammates to pick up the slack, you can win SBs. So yes, having 3 QBs so you can have a viable emergency response plan (like the last 3 SB winners had) to go along with a potentially elite D makes a lot of seance to me.

As far as using the spot to shore up another position, again, its easier to find a serviceable player at any of the positions that you list in FA (such as a 4th string TE that you mentioned) then it is to find a serviceable QB to take over if your starter gets injured.

ChubbNYiadom
08-09-2018, 11:40 PM

I kind of agree, keeping 3 quarterbacks might not be an option this year, Kelly is going to end up on the practice squad because your back-up cannot have zero experience.

FanInAZ
08-09-2018, 11:46 PM
I kind of agree, keeping 3 quarterbacks might not be an option this year, Kelly is going to end up on the practice squad because your back-up cannot have zero experience.

He wouldn't make it to the PS if he's actually our 2nd best performing QB because someone would grab him as soon as we cut him. Even if he does, another team will take as soon as their starter goes down & they need another emergency QB. The only way we would be able to stop another team from doing that is to immediately put him on the active roster. Remember, PS players are not protected and are therefore fair game for the other 31 teams.

ChubbNYiadom
08-09-2018, 11:53 PM
He wouldn't make it to the PS if he's actually our 2nd best performing QB because someone would grab him as soon as we cut him. Even if he does, another team will take as soon as their starter goes down & they need another emergency QB. The only way we would be able to stop another team from doing that is to immediately put him on the active roster. Remember, PS players are not protected and are therefore fair game for the other 31 teams.

He's not performing the 2nd best though, and I'm sure hell make it through waivers, the league knows Kelly isn't doing much of anything and he's facing nothing but camp fodder.

FanInAZ
08-09-2018, 11:58 PM
He's not performing the 2nd best though, and I'm sure hell make it through waivers, the league knows Kelly isn't doing much of anything and he's facing nothing but camp fodder.

On that, I have no basis to form an opinion. Residing here in AZ, the only thing I know about what's happening in TC is what all of you are telling me, although 1 individual has a long established track record of not having a shred of objectivity when it comes to assessing his favorite players. Being that you're new here, I'll leave it up to you to figure out who I'm referring to.

Hawgdriver
08-10-2018, 12:11 AM

Untrue.

ChubbNYiadom
08-10-2018, 12:17 AM
He is?

Lynch has more physical talent than Kelly by far if were being honest and unbiased, Case is clearly the most all around talented quarterback on the roster from a mental and physical aspect, plus he's 200% dedicated and emotionally invested to the game. If Lynch had those traits he'd be elite but he doesn't so he sucks.

ChubbNYiadom
08-10-2018, 12:20 AM
Kelly was slated to be an early round pick for a reason. The issue isn't what he is physically capable of. The issue isn't even what he's cognitively capable of regarding football smarts. It's maturity, and arguably leadership. He's busted his ass just to get back to square one, and he doesn't act like he is entitled to anything, so those are good signs. He's easily the most gifted of the bunch. Lynch has a lot of talent, but he's so mentally frail at this point that a lot of it is negated. Which is a shame because the kid was a real prospect at one point. Oh well.

Keenum is the typical underdog story for a reason.

I don't recall many people having Kelly as a high draft pick. If he was truly that gifted I doubt he last to the final pick of the entire draft. Kelly went about where he shoulda went, a 7th round flyer on a kid who had a nice arm and nothing else going for him.

Hawgdriver
08-10-2018, 12:20 AM
Using keystrokes on Paxton Lynch is like being abandoned without air in the infinite void of space and organizing your calendar for the next day.

Hawgdriver
08-10-2018, 12:21 AM
:suffocating:

:cold:

dead

Shazam!
08-10-2018, 05:13 AM

Elway is an idiot now?

TXBRONC
08-10-2018, 08:49 AM
Or, Elway know that its harder to develop QBs, and so he not going to put 1 on the PS that another team can steal at a moments notice because doing so would be a complete waist of the time and effort put into developing that QB.

Remember, back up QBs got their respective teams to the NFCCG last year, the winner of which then led his team to a SB championship. The year before, a 2nd & 3rd string QBs led the Patriots to a 3-1 start during Brady's suspension. The year before that, we got terrible play for almost the entire season from our QB position on our way to the SB championship. 3 consecutive years of conclusive proof that a teams success doesn't have to be solely dependent on your starting QB. If you can get serviceable play from a QB with great teammates to pick up the slack, you can win SBs. So yes, having 3 QBs so you can have a viable emergency response plan (like the last 3 SB winners had) to go along with a potentially elite D makes a lot of seance to me.

As far as using the spot to shore up another position, again, its easier to find a serviceable player at any of the positions that you list in FA (such as a 4th string TE that you mentioned) then it is to find a serviceable QB to take over if your starter gets injured.

I think this is where we're really at. It is harder to develop quarterbacks and given what has happened over the past few years with back up quarterbacks that's ample reason to keep three. Even if one of the two back ups was just killing it in camp Denver still wouldn't go into season with just two quarterbacks on the roster. I think it's highly doubtful that Denver will hold onto four tight ends. It's more likely we'll have three tight ends to go along with six wide receivers.

TXBRONC
08-10-2018, 08:53 AM

If Denver likes what they see in Kelly I don't end up on the practice squad. Another team could come in claim Kelly off of the practice squad.

FanInAZ
08-10-2018, 07:18 PM
I think this is where we're really at. It is harder to develop quarterbacks and given what has happened over the past few years with back up quarterbacks that's ample reason to keep three. Even if one of the two back ups was just killing it in camp Denver still wouldn't go into season with just two quarterbacks on the roster. I think it's highly doubtful that Denver will hold onto four tight ends. It's more likely we'll have three tight ends to go along with six wide receivers.

So we are in 100% agreement in our assessment of the situation, we just disagree about the solution.

Canmore
08-10-2018, 07:30 PM
Is he really beating out Lynch or is some reporter's and fans bias? Because after 8 days of camp Kelly is still #3, and if he was so great then surely he'd force himself into the #2 spot.

Gumby could beat out Lynch.

Canmore
08-10-2018, 07:51 PM
Lynch has more physical talent than Kelly by far if were being honest and unbiased, Case is clearly the most all around talented quarterback on the roster from a mental and physical aspect, plus he's 200% dedicated and emotionally invested to the game. If Lynch had those traits he'd be elite but he doesn't so he sucks.

Not even close. Lynch's accuracy is more than suspect. If it weren't for Tebow, I'd say his accuracy is about the worst I've seen suit up for Denver. He's dumb at a smart man position. What did he get on his Wonderlic? 18? How did that rank? 12.5 is guessing! I'm plenty unbiased. We wasted draft picks, that's with an s. High picks on Lynch. It is time to move on.

ChubbNYiadom
08-10-2018, 08:59 PM
Not even close. Lynch's accuracy is more than suspect. If it weren't for Tebow, I'd say his accuracy is about the worst I've seen suit up for Denver. He's dumb at a smart man position. What did he get on his Wonderlic? 18? How did that rank? 12.5 is guessing! I'm plenty unbiased. We wasted draft picks, that's with an s. High picks on Lynch. It is time to move on.

Lynch wasn't inaccurate in college, the system was so basic though that it allowed him to thrive off pure arm talent, the NFL is different though and requires a brain too go along with the physical talent, You show me a quarterback that's totally confused about what's going on on the field and I'll show you a quarterback whose going to be totally inaccurate. Lynch was projected too need at minimum 4 year's just to get his mind acclimated to the pro's. He's in year 3 now, John Elway said this himself.

So me personally knows Lynch sucks right now and he's completely off my radar until next off season, come next year is when I will be really watching Lynch too see if thing's start clicking mentally because that's the scouting report on him.... Needing at least 4 year's of NFL coaching.

I'd rather draft another QB next year but if Elway wants too develop Lynch by giving him the time he knew he'd need when drafted then Im fine with that. We will see how it all unfolds but you cannot realistically write off a guy whose scouting report clearly said wouldn't be ready until year 4 brother. Not too mention having a different system every year of his first few seasons doesn't help a raw prospect like Lynch either. I am hoping we can hold onto Musgrave for the next 4-5 year's at minimum.

But like I said before if case goes down we are screwed with Lynch and Kelly.

ChubbNYiadom
08-10-2018, 08:59 PM
Gumby could beat out Lynch.

Maybe so but the facts are Kelly isn't beating out Lynch.

ShaneFalco
08-10-2018, 09:06 PM
why is benjamin allbright posting as ChubbNYiadom?

FanInAZ
08-10-2018, 09:27 PM
why is benjamin allbright posting as ChubbNYiadom?

If Benjamin Allbright was posting here, it's because it would be his right to do so. If professional sportswriters weren't allowed to post here, MO would be kick to the curb.

tomjonesrocks
08-10-2018, 10:37 PM
Chad Kelly is Grade A waiver-bait. Soon as the Jets or even MN releases a QB Kelly is on the street.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-10-2018, 11:20 PM
Lynch wasn't inaccurate in college, the system was so basic though that it allowed him to thrive off pure arm talent, the NFL is different though and requires a brain too go along with the physical talent, You show me a quarterback that's totally confused about what's going on on the field and I'll show you a quarterback whose going to be totally inaccurate. Lynch was projected too need at minimum 4 year's just to get his mind acclimated to the pro's. He's in year 3 now, John Elway said this himself.

So me personally knows Lynch sucks right now and he's completely off my radar until next off season, come next year is when I will be really watching Lynch too see if thing's start clicking mentally because that's the scouting report on him.... Needing at least 4 year's of NFL coaching.

I'd rather draft another QB next year but if Elway wants too develop Lynch by giving him the time he knew he'd need when drafted then Im fine with that. We will see how it all unfolds but you cannot realistically write off a guy whose scouting report clearly said wouldn't be ready until year 4 brother. Not too mention having a different system every year of his first few seasons doesn't help a raw prospect like Lynch either. I am hoping we can hold onto Musgrave for the next 4-5 year's at minimum.

So, 4 years? When he was drafted it was “a year or two”. He’s had 2. More than that, he’s had almost uncontested chances to be the #1 guy. He couldn’t do it even with the entire staff behind him and an inside shot to win. He looks the same right now as he did his very first camp. He’s learned absolutely nothing and shows zero ability or willingness (probably the latter) to get better and to take the job. It’s not like he’s sitting behind a HOFer biding his time.

I’ve never been a QB, but I could’ve memorized the Broncos’ playbook and learned to read a defense in 2 years getting paid millions to do it. No more excuses. The dude is an immature douchebag who is earning millions to play video games instead of doing his job and the team is coddling him. The real question is, if Lynch had been a 7th round pick, would he still be here? Hell no, they’d have shitcanned him by now. Get that clown outta here.

ChubbNYiadom
08-11-2018, 12:43 AM
I'm not sure what being given the chance to be the #1 guys has to do with anything when he's not supposed to be playing his first few year's. There was no reports that said give him a year or two, the minimum was three years of sitting. But yet your expecting him to win the starting job last year in year 2? Again, John knows that Lynch was far from from being starter ready when he drafted him, He knows that Lynch isn't ready too play yet and that's why we brung in Case so Lynch can continue to sit and learn the game and actually learn the playbook and position.

Whether we fan's like it or not all guy's don't come in and just play or get it. I don't have any faith in Lynch but I do get the fact that nobody thought ue should be anywhere near starting his first 3-4 year's. You then add in a different offense every season and what do you realistically expect?

ChubbNYiadom
08-11-2018, 12:44 AM
Chad Kelly is Grade A waiver-bait. Soon as the Jets or even MN releases a QB Kelly is on the street.

Who you eyeing from the jets and vikes?

FanInAZ
08-11-2018, 12:52 AM

So, we kept Kelly & cut Sloter last year, then cut Siemian this past off-season. Now, we might now cut Kelly to get Sloter or Siemian back right before the start of this year :confused:

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-11-2018, 12:54 AM
Lynch gets 4 years? What is this, college?

FanInAZ
08-11-2018, 12:57 AM
Lynch gets 4 years? What is this, college?

No, most of the top players only spend a year or 2 in college.

Canmore
08-11-2018, 07:16 AM

Lynch was labeled a three year project. We're there.

Shazam!
08-11-2018, 07:36 AM

Lynch was labeled a three year project. We're there.

Then why does he allegedly look so bad

TXBRONC
08-11-2018, 09:31 AM
So we are in 100% agreement in our assessment of the situation, we just disagree about the solution.

I don't think we disagree. I agree Elway isn't going put one of his quarterbacks on the practice squad because they could that quarterback could be plucked by another team. I also agree replacing another position with a serviceable player is much easier. For Denver's situation I don't see Denver keeping four tight ends on the roster. I can see them keeping three and then putting one on the practice squad. That opens up a spot to keep three quarterbacks on the roster.

ShaneFalco
08-11-2018, 09:36 AM
nobody tell john elway chad kelly is better than paxton it might get him traded

BroncoWave
08-11-2018, 10:06 AM

Dan Marino got a 16 on his wonderlic. Ryan Fitzpatrick got like a 48. That's not really a good predictor of success.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-11-2018, 10:48 AM
Dan Marino got a 16 on his wonderlic. Ryan Fitzpatrick got like a 48. That's not really a good predictor of success.

NFL offenses are complex but not exactly calculus.

Cugel
08-11-2018, 11:42 AM

That's exactly my point! If you're Cleveland Pro-Football Focus guys are already questioning why they don't just put Baker Mayfield in to start right now, instead of Tyrod Taylor. Why waste time? It's not as if they are competing for anything this year, they are still the Browns, they still suck plenty bad despite drafting Mayfield and Round 2, Pick 1 (No. 33 overall): Austin Corbett, T, Nevada

Andy Benoit's grade: C+

With Joe Thomas retired, the Browns apparently don’t want to gamble on long-armed 2016 third-rounder Shon Coleman developing into Baker Mayfield’s blindside guardian. At 6' 4" and 306 pounds, Corbett doesn’t have the ideal size, which is why many figured he might play guard in the NFL. But with Joel Bitonio and Kevin Zeitler already occupying these spots, the Browns clearly believe their newest lineman can play outside.

They also added RB Nick Chubb, and their fans will never let them forget that they drafted the wrong Chubb when Bradley Chubb turns into a perennial All-Pro!

In short, they still suck plenty bad. But, the Broncos aren't in that category! They still have the bones of a SB defense, which could be close to what they were in 2015 if Chubb really becomes an All-Pro DE/DT. It's not for nothing that Von Miller about had an orgasm when Chubb was drafted.

Von Miller reacts to Bradley Chubb pick! (https://www.denverpost.com/2018/04/26/von-miller-reacts-bradley-chubb/)

I'd say Miller knows what he's talking about. He hasn't had the same impact since Malik Jackson left and DeMarcus Ware retired. Now suddenly the Broncos add the best defensive player in the entire NFL draft.

That makes a big difference. He can see that in a year or two the Broncos defense could be right back to #1 in the NFL status (even if it will never be as good as the magic year of 2015).

The offense with Case Keenum will certainly be better than the 2015 Peyton offense when Peyton couldn't throw a forward pass due to his foot injury.

Did we forget the Cleveland game when Peyton threw a pick-six and then another pick in over-time giving the Browns the ball on Denver's 40? Game over, except the defense bailed them out and they won in over-time.

Surely Case can play better than that so the defense won't have to be as good. How much better? Well, we'll see.

But, it's not insane to think that Nick Foles can win the SB, it's at least possible for Case Keenum to do it, IF the rest of the team is good enough.

So, Elway has drafted a bunch of studs to put around him. Whether it works or not remains to be determined. But, at least it's a viable plan.

But if that plan has any chance of success, they absolutely NEED a veteran QB who can come in and start 4 games and not totally suck, giving the team a chance to win. He might not be very good but he knows what he's doing and he's not going to make it hard on the defense by turning the ball over or making stupid rookie mistakes.

And neither Paxton nor Kelly provides that! Paxton is worthless and Kelly never started an NFL game before.

Cugel
08-11-2018, 11:49 AM

If you throw out the Wonderlic, Lynch is still plenty dumb. Sometimes "football smart" guys score low on the wonderlic but are great QBs, but lots of times dumb guys are just dumb.

Vince Young scored a 15 on the Wonderlic, and he proved to be just as dumb as his test score indicated. Paxton is another one. "College Grad from Memphis U, went in dumb, came out dumb too."

Canmore
08-11-2018, 01:00 PM

By itself no. As part of an evaluation it sure is. There are outliers for everything.

TXBRONC
08-11-2018, 01:57 PM
That's exactly my point! If you're Cleveland Pro-Football Focus guys are already questioning why they don't just put Baker Mayfield in to start right now, instead of Tyrod Taylor. Why waste time? It's not as if they are competing for anything this year, they are still the Browns, they still suck plenty bad despite drafting Mayfield and Round 2, Pick 1 (No. 33 overall): Austin Corbett, T, Nevada

They also added RB Nick Chubb, and their fans will never let them forget that they drafted the wrong Chubb when Bradley Chubb turns into a perennial All-Pro!

In short, they still suck plenty bad. But, the Broncos aren't in that category! They still have the bones of a SB defense, which could be close to what they were in 2015 if Chubb really becomes an All-Pro DE/DT. It's not for nothing that Von Miller about had an orgasm when Chubb was drafted.

Von Miller reacts to Bradley Chubb pick! (https://www.denverpost.com/2018/04/26/von-miller-reacts-bradley-chubb/)

I'd say Miller knows what he's talking about. He hasn't had the same impact since Malik Jackson left and DeMarcus Ware retired. Now suddenly the Broncos add the best defensive player in the entire NFL draft.

That makes a big difference. He can see that in a year or two the Broncos defense could be right back to #1 in the NFL status (even if it will never be as good as the magic year of 2015).

The offense with Case Keenum will certainly be better than the 2015 Peyton offense when Peyton couldn't throw a forward pass due to his foot injury.

Did we forget the Cleveland game when Peyton threw a pick-six and then another pick in over-time giving the Browns the ball on Denver's 40? Game over, except the defense bailed them out and they won in over-time.

Surely Case can play better than that so the defense won't have to be as good. How much better? Well, we'll see.

But, it's not insane to think that Nick Foles can win the SB, it's at least possible for Case Keenum to do it, IF the rest of the team is good enough.

So, Elway has drafted a bunch of studs to put around him. Whether it works or not remains to be determined. But, at least it's a viable plan.

But if that plan has any chance of success, they absolutely NEED a veteran QB who can come in and start 4 games and not totally suck, giving the team a chance to win. He might not be very good but he knows what he's doing and he's not going to make it hard on the defense by turning the ball over or making stupid rookie mistakes.

And neither Paxton nor Kelly provides that! Paxton is worthless and Kelly never started an NFL game before.

It's not that they Nick Chubb, it's that they took Ward the corner out OSU with the 4th overall pick when they could have Bradley Chubb.

ShaneFalco
08-12-2018, 07:13 AM
Josh Allen Stats
9/19 116yds 47% Completion 1 td 84 QBR

Chad Kelly Stats
14 / 21 177 yds 66% Completion 2 tds 1 int 104 QBR

Josh Rosen
6/13 41 yds 46% Completion 54 QBR

Darnold
13/18 96 yds 76% completion 1 td 103 QBR

NightTerror218
08-12-2018, 09:03 AM
I wouldnt give Kelly 2nd teams reps for being a practice super hero. But I would give him some now after 1st preseason game.

ChubbNYiadom
08-12-2018, 03:37 PM
Josh Allen Stats

Chad Kelly Stats

Josh Rosen

Darnold

I think Baker Mayfield looked pretty good too.

ChubbNYiadom
08-12-2018, 03:42 PM
I actually think the Brown's are in good hands with there future franchise quarterback Mayfield , and they do havve a good amount of talent that may start peaking very soon. They should have taken Chubb yes, but if ward turns into an great corner they'll still feel good about themselves especially since they have a future franchise quarterback and very good talent on both sides of the ball.

Shazam!
08-12-2018, 03:48 PM
I actually think the Brown's are in good hands with there future franchise quarterback Mayfield , and they do havve a good amount of talent that may start peaking very soon. They should have taken Chubb yes, but if ward turns into an great corner they'll still feel good about themselves especially since they have a future franchise quarterback and very good talent on both sides of the ball.

So now, Cleveland is better off than the Broncos.

How high a price we are paying for the Manning years.

atwater27
08-12-2018, 04:05 PM

You mean going to 2 Super Bowls and winning one?

Shazam!
08-12-2018, 04:21 PM

You mean going to 2 Super Bowls and winning one?

Im not complaining. Im thrilled about the run with PFM it was like a dream.

But Its one thing to be beaten by better talent and another to be beaten all by yourself. VJ is lost out there and they are totally unprepared. Elway should have never considered him let alone hire him.

slim
08-12-2018, 09:04 PM
Face to face, out in the heat
Hangin' tough, stayin' hungry
They stack the odds 'till we take to the street
For the kill with the skill to survive

ShaneFalco
08-12-2018, 10:30 PM
we already have a solid veteran backup.

his name is Case Keesum

:lol:

FanInAZ
08-13-2018, 04:21 PM
nobody tell john elway chad kelly is better than paxton it might get him traded

Kelly was better than Lynch in the only game in which I watched them both play.

FanInAZ
08-13-2018, 04:25 PM
Josh Allen Stats

Chad Kelly Stats

Josh Rosen

Darnold

Rosen needs to demonstrate that he's not another one of these LA college QBs that just assumes that he's going to succeed in the NFL, especially after his post draft comments.

ShaneFalco
08-30-2018, 04:04 AM

https://gifer.com/i/4yD.gif

Freyaka
08-30-2018, 09:11 AM

https://media.giphy.com/media/jQmVFypWInKCc/giphy.gif