PDA

View Full Version : Diving head first now the same as feet first.

Northman
08-04-2018, 08:52 PM
I think im starting to get like Chazoe with the NFL. Im just starting to lose interest with all these rule changes which just takes away from the game for me. Its like they dont want any kind of defense on the field anymore....

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/04/nfl-rules-will-now-treat-head-first-dives-like-feet-first-slides/

It’s easy to see how big a change that will be: In the past, if a quarterback ran the ball on third-and-5, he’d usually slide feet first once he picked up the five yards, but he’d dive head-first and try to pick up the last yard if he was met by an opposing defender after gaining four yards. Now, there’s no distinction between feet first and head first.

Officials say that’s a major change.

“It’s a big change this year (http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24277319/ball-spotted-first-touch-head-first-dives),” line judge Rusty Baynes told ESPN. “Because if you were a runner or a quarterback and you dove head first you could, if you were untouched, get all of that slide. If you went head first. Now, you cannot. It’ll be interesting to see what happens at the goal line.”

Interesting indeed: Imagine it’s fourth-and-goal in the final seconds of the game, a quarterback whose team trails by five points drops back to pass, then sees an opening in the middle of the field, runs toward the end zone, and just as a linebacker approaches at the 1-yard line the quarterback dives head-first into the end zone. That won’t be a game-winning touchdown anymore. It will be the quarterback giving himself up at the 1-yard line. The first time that happens, there’s going to be outrage from players, coaches and fans of the losing team.

This change hasn’t received much attention because it’s technically a “point of emphasis” and not a “rule change.” But whatever you call it, it’s a major difference in the way the game of football is played. And a whole lot of people won’t be happy about it.

Northman
08-04-2018, 08:53 PM
Imagine had they had this rule in place when John did his famous helicopter dive for that first down.

Poet
08-04-2018, 08:55 PM
I'd have no issue with this if they opened QB's up to hits elsewhere. Back in the day, for me that was the 90's, Qb's were thought of as tough because they took a beating. I get it's a QB driven league, and injuries to the position are massively consequential, but give me a ******* break. There has to be give and take. At this point it feels like they need to remove an offensive player and make it eleven on ten just to make it fair.

NightTrainLayne
08-04-2018, 08:56 PM
I don't understand how they will possibly enforce this. I'm confused.

So, presumably, if a QB dives head-first the play is whistled dead at the point where they begin the "slide/dive". However, if they are subsequently hit by a defender I presume that will incur a 15 yard penalty.

It's a ridiculous and unenforceable standard imo. This one wasn't thought through at all.

Hawgdriver
08-06-2018, 01:38 AM
:headscratch:

BroncoJoe
08-06-2018, 07:35 AM
I don't understand how they will possibly enforce this. I'm confused.

So, presumably, if a QB dives head-first the play is whistled dead at the point where they begin the "slide/dive". However, if they are subsequently hit by a defender I presume that will incur a 15 yard penalty.

It's a ridiculous and unenforceable standard imo. This one wasn't thought through at all.

I'd love to see Spike's opinion of this new rule.

Krugan
08-06-2018, 10:50 AM
Sweet, more stuff that will be reviewed and extend these games even more.

To many commercials, to much politics and far to many reviews.

Its almost as though the are tired of the league and instead of just one to the head, they are going death by body shot....

NightTrainLayne
08-06-2018, 11:25 AM
I've been mulling this over in my head for the past few days.

I'm wondering if their idea is to, in practice, eliminate a forward dive by QB's. I.E., instruct all QB's that they won't get credit for forward progress if they dive head-first, ergo it is a bad strategy to do so. Don't do it, because it won't work.

From that perspective I think it makes sense, and if framed properly could encourage QB's to be more proactive about sliding feet-first (giving themselves up).

BroncoJoe
08-06-2018, 11:44 AM
I've been mulling this over in my head for the past few days.

I'm wondering if their idea is to, in practice, eliminate a forward dive by QB's. I.E., instruct all QB's that they won't get credit for forward progress if they dive head-first, ergo it is a bad strategy to do so. Don't do it, because it won't work.

From that perspective I think it makes sense, and if framed properly could encourage QB's to be more proactive about sliding feet-first (giving themselves up).

The problem I see is in the example in North's original post/article. Doesn't just apply to goal-line either. What about getting that crucial first down?

It's a strange rule, and I don't know what to think ATM.

How will they account for Brady's QB sneak on 3rd or 4th and inches? He's technically diving, right?

Poet
08-06-2018, 11:51 AM
The problem I see is in the example in North's original post/article. Doesn't just apply to goal-line either. What about getting that crucial first down?

It's a strange rule, and I don't know what to think ATM.

How will they account for Brady's QB sneak on 3rd or 4th and inches? He's technically diving, right?

This could potentially make for some of the greatest NFL theater of all time.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-06-2018, 12:23 PM
This could potentially be the dumbest thing the rules committee has ever done. If a player, quarterback or not, leads with his head because he’s going all out he should be treated like any other runner.

End of Story.

BeefStew25
08-06-2018, 12:25 PM
This is awful.

Football will be fine. The NFL may not be.

BroncoJoe
08-06-2018, 12:27 PM
This could potentially be the dumbest thing the rules committee has ever done. If a player, quarterback or not, leads with his head because he’s going all out he should be treated like any other runner.

End of Story.

The other stupid rule of leading with the crown of the helmet affects both offense and defense. I guess a RB can't put his head down anymore to try and gain the extra couple of yards, even if there is no head-to-head contact. Helmet to the chest is now a penalty, supposedly.

BroncoJoe
08-06-2018, 12:29 PM
WTF is Spike? I need his interpretation & opinion of these new rules.

BeefStew25
08-06-2018, 12:30 PM
WTF is Spike? I need his interpretation & opinion of these new rules.

Good point brother.

I was thinking. We should have a pro for every area of life here.

MOtorboat
08-06-2018, 12:30 PM
So what if the quarterback (say Lamar Jackson) is on a designed quarterback sweep and dives for the pylon?

BroncoJoe
08-06-2018, 12:32 PM
Good point brother.

I was thinking. We should have a pro for every area of life here.

What would your specialty be?

Wait. Nevermind.

BeefStew25
08-06-2018, 12:34 PM
What would your specialty be?

Wait. Nevermind.

If this was the lounge I was going to ding you.

BeefStew25
08-06-2018, 12:34 PM
So what if the quarterback (say Lamar Jackson) is on a designed quarterback sweep and dives for the pylon?

He’d have to report as a eligible RB.

Northman
08-06-2018, 01:49 PM

According to the article he gets called down of when he started to dive. So if he leaps from the 3 or 4 yd line he will probably be called down at the 2 or 3 yd line even if he manages to reach the pylon without being touched.

BeefStew25
08-06-2018, 07:22 PM
According to the article he gets called down of when he started to dive. So if he leaps from the 3 or 4 yd line he will probably be called down at the 2 or 3 yd line even if he manages to reach the pylon without being touched.

This season is going to be a shitshow

BeefStew25
08-06-2018, 07:28 PM

This season is going to be a shitshow

Davii
08-06-2018, 10:55 PM
This seems like a really foolish rule.

BeefStew25
08-06-2018, 11:19 PM
And that’s not the worst of it.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/06/us/nfl-male-dancers-trnd/index.html

MOtorboat
08-06-2018, 11:59 PM
Oh man, I didn't even think about UR.

How is he going to tell if a quarterback is elite or not?

Davii
08-07-2018, 12:07 AM
Oh man, I didn't even think about UR.

How is he going to tell if a quarterback is elite or not?

Receivers won't be allowed to dive any more! DT will automatically become the best WR in the league!

Northman
08-07-2018, 11:25 AM
Receivers won't be allowed to dive any more! DT will automatically become the best WR in the league!

Well, so as long as the revenge of Lelie's claw doesnt come out.

spikerman
08-08-2018, 08:06 PM
I don’t have a problem with the new rules. The dive will be interesting, but the helmet rule is way overblown. It’s very similar to the college rule.

slim
08-08-2018, 08:08 PM
I don’t have a problem with the new rules. The dive will be interesting, but the helmet rule is way overblown. It’s very similar to the college rule.

You are blind as a bat!!

BeefStew25
08-08-2018, 09:09 PM

Explain a 4th and goal and the QB goes header to the goaline.

spikerman
08-08-2018, 09:19 PM
Explain a 4th and goal and the QB goes header to the goaline.

I guess.... don’t dive. I haven’t looked at the ins and outs of it. We don’t have that rule in college. I get why they’re doing it, but it may wind up having unintended consequences. I would not be surprised to see this rule tweaked before the season starts.

BeefStew25
08-08-2018, 09:33 PM
I guess.... don’t dive. I haven’t looked at the ins and outs of it. We don’t have that rule in college. I get why they’re doing it, but it may wind up having unintended consequences. I would not be surprised to see this rule tweaked before the season starts.

As the resident ref, this is on you Spike.

A Blame Spike Thread may be in order.

slim
08-08-2018, 09:55 PM
Spiker is good people.

I will forgive him for his opinion on this.