PDA

View Full Version : Running Backs

MOtorboat
07-30-2018, 12:33 PM
The Broncos are carrying five running backs (Royce Freeman, Phillip Lindsay, Dave Williams, Devontae Booker and De’Angelo Henderson) and a fullback (Andy Janovich).

How does this shape up for the opener?

My guess:
Starter: Freeman
Backup: Booker
Third/Special Teams: Henderson/Lindsay

I don’t see how Janovich fits if Lindsay really is impressing as much as it sounds, but it’s hard to know what Musgrove’s scheme is going to look like. If he insists on a fullback they would probably try to get Lindsay to the practice squad. Williams is headed to the practice squad, IMO.

underrated29
07-30-2018, 12:57 PM
The Broncos are carrying five running backs (Royce Freeman, Phillip Lindsay, Dave Williams, Devontae Booker and De’Angelo Henderson) and a fullback (Andy Janovich).

My guess:

I don’t see how Janovich fits if Lindsay really is impressing as much as it sounds, but it’s hard to know what Musgrove’s scheme is going to look like. If he insists on a fullback they would probably try to get Lindsay to the practice squad. Williams is headed to the practice squad, IMO.

If we are just talking about for the Opener. I would list it as:

Booker
Royce
Henderson
Lindsey

I too am not sure Jano makes the squad. I think Book would get the start over Royce for pass pro purposes. I do expect Royce to be the guy soon though.

MOtorboat
07-30-2018, 01:11 PM
If we are just talking about for the Opener. I would list it as:

Booker
Royce
Henderson
Lindsey

I too am not sure Jano makes the squad. I think Book would get the start over Royce for pass pro purposes. I do expect Royce to be the guy soon though.

I think Freeman has the possibility to be that league-wide rookie running back breakout. He was fantastic at Oregon and I think he is a home run hitter, regardless of his 40 being 4.54. He had 60 career rushing touchdowns while with the Ducks and had 9 100-yard games last season.

It depends on the scheme with Janovich but up-tempo, which they’ve talked about, doesn’t lend itself to a fullback. Plus, Fumagalli played some H-back at Wisconsin if memory serves.

underrated29
07-30-2018, 01:33 PM
I think Freeman has the possibility to be that league-wide rookie running back breakout. He was fantastic at Oregon and I think he is a home run hitter, regardless of his 40 being 4.54. He had 60 career rushing touchdowns while with the Ducks and had 9 100-yard games last season.

It depends on the scheme with Janovich but up-tempo, which they’ve talked about, doesn’t lend itself to a fullback. Plus, Fumagalli played some H-back at Wisconsin if memory serves.

He reminds me of a slower steven jackson or a more powerful thomas jones. I am so excited for him. I just think that they are going to let book get the nod since he has the most experience with pass pro. and they will ease royce in. Then he will take over. I am so excited to see how these guys run. I cannot wait to see all of these backs play. Who is number 33? I say a clip and I liked what I saw from that clip. Henderson?

dogfish
07-30-2018, 02:39 PM
i think they will keep four backs plus jano. . . up-tempo or not, elway has always wanted us to have a strong running game, and that hasn't changed. . . and jano is a strong special teams guy. . . i wouldn't be surprised if booker opens the season as the starter, but he won't hold off freeman for long. . . henderson is the wild card. . . i think lindsay makes the squad as a third down back and return guy. . . i'm really hoping we can generate a more dynamic rushing attack behind royce or deangelo, but a lot of that might depend on the line's ability to stay healthy and play with some consistency. . .

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-30-2018, 02:56 PM

My guess:

Personally, I could see Freeman get a lot of reps in the first few games, but I don’t see him supplanting Booker that fast, not with the way the coaching staff has been hyping him since 1977

Hawgdriver
07-30-2018, 06:30 PM
Booker and Freeman is clear. Jano probably makes it from versatility and experience. Lindsay.

TXBRONC
07-30-2018, 07:47 PM
i think they will keep four backs plus jano. . . up-tempo or not, elway has always wanted us to have a strong running game, and that hasn't changed. . . and jano is a strong special teams guy. . . i wouldn't be surprised if booker opens the season as the starter, but he won't hold off freeman for long. . . henderson is the wild card. . . i think lindsay makes the squad as a third down back and return guy. . . i'm really hoping we can generate a more dynamic rushing attack behind royce or deangelo, but a lot of that might depend on the line's ability to stay healthy and play with some consistency. . .

I agree, Denver keeps four running backs plus jano.

BeefStew25
07-30-2018, 07:48 PM
I like Henderson.

ChubbNYiadom
08-05-2018, 02:42 AM
Coach said since we have a great fullback we will use him, So I think he might make the squad.

I think Freeman has a great year and Williams and Henderson contributes as well.

MOtorboat
08-05-2018, 03:35 AM
IMO, Janovich isn't versatile enough to use in today's NFL. If you don't have a player that can play fullback, tight end and split end on the roster, you're wasting a roster spot, even if the guy is on special teams. You can find that crazy, low-drafted or undrafted, linebacker to fill that special teams role and teach him enough of the defense to be a backup. Fullback is a wasted roster spot these days.

sneakers
08-05-2018, 06:38 AM
who?

BeefStew25
08-05-2018, 08:06 AM
who?

Henderson.

dogfish
08-05-2018, 02:56 PM
IMO, Janovich isn't versatile enough to use in today's NFL. If you don't have a player that can play fullback, tight end and split end on the roster, you're wasting a roster spot, even if the guy is on special teams. You can find that crazy, low-drafted or undrafted, linebacker to fill that special teams role and teach him enough of the defense to be a backup. Fullback is a wasted roster spot these days.

i hope they play him fifty snaps a game, just to piss you off. . .

:welcome:

MOtorboat
08-05-2018, 03:09 PM
i hope they play him fifty snaps a game, just to piss you off. . .

:welcome:

I just want to score points, Dog.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-05-2018, 03:17 PM
Fullback dive on 3rd and 7!

Poet
08-05-2018, 03:18 PM
We should keep the FB because we're running an offense with a limited QB. And before anyone goes off the handles on that, that's the consensus about Keenum pretty much everywhere else, even his supporters.

The Vikings ran the ball a lot last year even though they were averaging under 4.0 YPC.

Nomad
08-05-2018, 04:04 PM
We should keep the FB because we're running an offense with a limited QB. And before anyone goes off the handles on that, that's the consensus about Keenum pretty much everywhere else, even his supporters.

The Vikings ran the ball a lot last year even though they were averaging under 4.0 YPC.

I agree with this statement. The other part is wait & see. ;) :D

Nomad
08-05-2018, 04:06 PM
I love me a good fullback.

Poet
08-05-2018, 04:10 PM
I agree with this statement. The other part is wait & see. ;) :D

Then you would want to wait-and-see if keeping the FB is useful, you scoundrel! :lol:

I love me a good fullback.

You also love rotary phones, pagers, floppy disks, and horse and buggies.

Cugel
08-11-2018, 11:57 AM

My guess:

Janovich's spot will come by cutting one of the TEs, not a RB. I.e. they will either keep 3 TEs and Andy Janovich or else 4 TEs and no Jano.

They are still going to have to keep 4 RBs because NONE of them is an established veteran and it's too risky to just roll with Booker (who has never done anything), Royce Freeman who's a rookie, and one of Lindsay/Williams/Henderson.

They want to keep two backs from that trio because both Lindsay and Williams can play.

MOtorboat
08-11-2018, 12:59 PM
Janovich's spot will come by cutting one of the TEs, not a RB. I.e. they will either keep 3 TEs and Andy Janovich or else 4 TEs and no Jano.

They are still going to have to keep 4 RBs because NONE of them is an established veteran and it's too risky to just roll with Booker (who has never done anything), Royce Freeman who's a rookie, and one of Lindsay/Williams/Henderson.

They want to keep two backs from that trio because both Lindsay and Williams can play.

If they keep four running backs it will be because Lindsay is the returner. Janovich could be squeezed by either good running back play or good tight end play.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-11-2018, 01:44 PM
If they keep four running backs it will be because Lindsay is the returner. Janovich could be squeezed by either good running back play or good tight end play.

And both positions are huge question marks.

MOtorboat
08-11-2018, 01:51 PM

They are.

ChubbNYiadom
08-11-2018, 08:00 PM

Janovich is definitely making the team, dude's one of the best fullback in the league, he block's, he runs, he pass protects so I don't know how we cut him especially since like you said we're going to run the rock.

ChubbNYiadom
08-11-2018, 08:02 PM

Lindsay will have too step his game up because right now ue isn't beating out McKenzie as a returner right now.

Canmore
08-11-2018, 09:40 PM
Janovich is definitely making the team, dude's one of the best fullback in the league, he block's, he runs, he pass protects so I don't know how we cut him especially since like you said we're going to run the rock.

He's a special teams ace also. He makes the team.

Cugel
08-11-2018, 10:21 PM

This is exactly the point. If Jake Butt for instance was an established veteran starter, then you could simply get away with 3 TEs meaning Butt, plus two backups who will only play due to injury or in two TE sets.

But, with no established veteran (having got rid of Virgil Green) they basically have no idea who their starter and backups will be. They hope it's Butt as starter, but who will win the backup job? With no reliable veterans they have to have as many possible candidates as possible.

Same thing with RBs after they got rid of CJ Anderson.

That's why Jano is on the hot seat. Something has to give if they keep 4 Rbs and 4 TEs.

Cugel
08-11-2018, 10:25 PM
Quote Originally Posted by ChubbNYiadom View Post

Many teams in the league don't have a FB at all, the league is moving away from the FB. The question is whether you could use a TE to do some of the things Jano does in blocking. They are trying to see whether they can get away with that or not. If nobody steps into that role they might be forced to keep him and sacrifice a TE spot.

But, this is undecided at present. He's totally on the bubble. If they feel they can afford to get rid of him they will because it makes other roster decisions much easier. They can probably keep both 4 RBs and 4 TEs if they let Jano go.

dogfish
08-12-2018, 03:16 PM
booker is still trash. . . freeman is a better NFL player right now, today. . .

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-12-2018, 04:14 PM
Freeman was impressive. He can move the chains, and bounce it outside.

Hawgdriver
08-12-2018, 04:16 PM
Really impressed with Elway's 2018 draft.

dogfish
08-12-2018, 05:18 PM
Really impressed with Elway's 2018 draft.

i think it has the potential to be his best draft class to date. . . really crossing my fingers that it was a breakthrough moment for them, because we're probably going to need another strong crop or two to really get us back on track. . . i look at the impact new orleans' rookies had last year, and see brighter days in our future if we can continue to draft well. . .

tomjonesrocks
08-12-2018, 05:29 PM
Freeman was impressive. He can move the chains, and bounce it outside.

We haven’t seen that bounce it outside move in awhile.

MOtorboat
08-12-2018, 05:33 PM
Freeman gonna do some things.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-12-2018, 08:20 PM
We haven’t seen that bounce it outside move in awhile.

At least not from someone who doesn’t go down with arm tackles.

tripp
08-12-2018, 08:35 PM
So glad CJ Anderson isn't on the team anymore. Genuinely excited to see what Freeman has to offer in the regular season

NightTerror218
08-12-2018, 08:49 PM
Henderson and Williams are 2 that I think may not make it. Musgrave used a fullback in Oakland and jano is good st

underrated29
08-12-2018, 10:12 PM
Henderson is better than book imo....by a lot.

Hawgdriver
08-13-2018, 02:05 AM

For me it will be if he doesn't fumble preseason. Good runner.

WARHORSE
08-13-2018, 03:26 AM

The force is strong in this one. :worship: