PDA

View Full Version : Report: Beth Bowlen wants to become controlling owner of Broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
05-31-2018, 01:39 PM
Pat Bowlen’s second-oldest child wants to become controlling owner of the Denver Broncos.

Beth Bowlen has shown interest in taking on the responsibility of running the team, according to a report from The Athletic’s Nicki Jhabvala (subscription required for link).

“I know the fans have been anxious and asking quite a few questions about what’s happening with the succession plan for the [team],” Beth told Jhabvala. “I have completed the criteria laid out by the trustees, so I felt it was a good time to come out and express my interest and desire to be part of the organization again.”

rest - https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/31/denver-broncos-news-beth-bowlen-wants-ownership-of-team/

Denver Native (Carol)
05-31-2018, 01:40 PM
Beth Bowlen, who has a law degree from the University of Denver, has publicly stated she wants to become controlling owner of the Denver Broncos. The Pat Bowlen Trust, in charge of handing down ownership when the time is right, says she’s not ready — yet.

“Beth Bowlen is not the only Bowlen child who is expressing interest in becoming controlling owner,” the trust told The Athletic’s Nicki Jhabvala in a statement. “The trustees have informed Beth of their determination that she is not capable or qualified at this time.”

Beth is one of Pat’s two children from his first wife, Sally Parker. In addition to his two children with Parker, Pat had five other children with his current wife, Annabel Bowlen.

rest - https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/31/denver-broncos-news-beth-bowlen-ownership-request-turned-down/

chazoe60
05-31-2018, 01:41 PM
I might have been thinking of a different daughter.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-31-2018, 01:44 PM
Mike Klis
‏Verified account @MikeKlis
22m22 minutes ago

Just got 2 1-2 page press release from Beth Bowlen, who has been told she’s presently failed to meet criteria to be controlling owner. Seems like desperate attempt at public campaign when she knows things aren’t going her way. #9sports
12 replies 6 retweets 7 likes

FanInAZ
05-31-2018, 02:09 PM
I just want someone to take over who won't turn us into the Cleveland Browns :nod:

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-31-2018, 02:24 PM
I hope this doesn’t turn into a lawsuit.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-31-2018, 02:24 PM
Interesting

Pat Bowlen Trust fires back at Bowlen-Wallace: She presently 'is not capable or qualified'

https://www.9news.com/article/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/pat-bowlen-trust-fires-back-at-bowlen-wallace-she-presently-is-not-capable-or-qualified/73-560328985

GEM
05-31-2018, 02:25 PM
I didn't like the part where the trust said that she is neither capable nor qualified to take over. The trust better not **** this shit up....they stand to lose $$$ and power when whichever kid takes over. Bowlen set them up to grant ownership to the kid(s) not for them to be in power forever.

And the Klis comment about the public campaign...he's Ellis' little bitch boy so he'll say whatever he's told like a good little bitch.

They're going to turn this into a 3 ring circus in order to keep control.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-31-2018, 02:26 PM
Mike Klis
3m3 minutes ago

Mike Klis Retweeted Mike Klis

To be clear on one thing: The Trust has informed Beth Bowlen-Wallace why she has failed to meet criteria to be owner and why her employment ended in 2015. #9sports

GEM
05-31-2018, 02:28 PM
Mike Klis
3m3 minutes ago

Mike Klis Retweeted Mike Klis

To be clear on one thing: The Trust has informed Beth Bowlen-Wallace why she has failed to meet criteria to be owner and why her employment ended in 2015. #9sports

Well then they should break some of those reasons why so they don't look like they are pulling a power move to save their positions of power and $$$.

The league isn't going to live with this situation forever, they've put up with it this long out of respect for Bowlen and what he's done for the NFL, but that won't last forever. Currently the structure is against league rules, so it needs to be figured out quickly.

BroncoWave
05-31-2018, 02:29 PM
I didn't like the part where the trust said that she is neither capable nor qualified to take over. The trust better not **** this shit up....they stand to lose $$$ and power when whichever kid takes over. Bowlen set them up to grant ownership to the kid(s) not for them to be in power forever.

And the Klis comment about the public campaign...he's Ellis' little bitch boy so he'll say whatever he's told like a good little bitch.

Looks like we're about to have a situation similar to what the saints just went through with different members of the family suing each other for control. Buckle in, looks like we're about to have some drama.

Hawgdriver
05-31-2018, 02:35 PM
Well then they should break some of those reasons why so they don't look like they are pulling a power move to save their positions of power and $$$.

The league isn't going to live with this situation forever, they've put up with it this long out of respect for Bowlen and what he's done for the NFL, but that won't last forever. Currently the structure is against league rules, so it needs to be figured out quickly.

I'm willing to entertain the idea that she might just not be owner material. I have a bit of faith in Joe Ellis.

FanInAZ
05-31-2018, 02:37 PM
Looks like we're about to have a situation similar to what the saints just went through with different members of the family suing each other for control. Buckle in, looks like we're about to have some drama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KZsiMhziRI

:tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk: :tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk:

GEM
05-31-2018, 02:41 PM
I'm willing to entertain the idea that she might just not be owner material. I have a bit of faith in Joe Ellis.

I have faith in no one. :laugh:

Tned
05-31-2018, 02:47 PM

Ditto. He's done a very good job running the team. Doesn't interfere in football operations. And, clearly was a very dear friend of Mr. Bowlens and wants to honor his wishes and cement his legacy.

chazoe60
05-31-2018, 02:51 PM
Okay, I'll take it over. I promise to do my best. I will get fined a lot for calling out the officiating.

BroncoJoe
05-31-2018, 02:53 PM
At least she's attractive.

Poet
05-31-2018, 03:18 PM
Oh dear.

VonDoom
05-31-2018, 03:20 PM
This sure has the makings of a mess. I've been hoping this gets settled easily and quietly but it's not looking that way now.

FanInAZ
05-31-2018, 03:46 PM
Okay, I'll take it over. I promise to do my best. I will get fined a lot for calling out the officiating.

At least if your a controlling owner, you'll be in a position to do something to fix the problems :nod:

GEM
05-31-2018, 03:48 PM
STATEMENT FROM THE PAT BOWLEN TRUST IN RESPONSE TO THE PRESS RELEASE ISSUED BY BETH BOWLEN-WALLACE FOR CONTROLLING OWNERSHIP OF THE BRONCOS:

“The statements issued by Beth Bowlen Wallace today are contrary to Pat Bowlen’s long-standing succession plan that he created over many years of careful consideration.

“Pat was determined to ensure the Broncos would remain a premier franchise in the National Football League in the event of his absence. He chose to sustain the team’s success in that eventuality by appointing three non-family trustees to determine whether any of his children had become qualified at some point to step into his shoes.

“Pat did not designate Beth as a trustee or appoint her to a leadership position, nor did he instruct the trustees to specifically mentor her. He made it clear that his children were not automatically entitled to a role with the team and that they would have to earn that opportunity through their accomplishments, qualifications and character.

“As trustees honoring the clear wishes of Pat, we have thoroughly evaluated whether Beth is capable of succeeding her father as controlling owner. We have determined that she is not capable or qualified at this time.

“We have communicated our decision to Beth and her lawyers on multiple occasions. She is also fully informed as to why her employment with the team ended in 2015.

“Although Beth has declined our invitations to discuss her qualifications for the last two years, we will continue to proactively engage and meet with any of the Bowlen children who express a desire to earn the right to succeed their father.

“As trustees, we will continue to honor Pat’s long-standing plan to determine the Broncos’ future ownership and any potential appointment of his children to leadership positions within the organization. Our decisions will always be guided by what will ensure the long-term success and stability of the Broncos while also doing what’s best for our community, our fans and the NFL.

“Consistent with Pat’s long-standing succession plan, our decisions are not to be dictated by the short-term or personal interests of any individual. We will vigorously defend Pat’s plan in responding to these and any statements that are contrary to Pat’s words and intentions.”

STATEMENT FROM BRONCOS PRESIDENT & CEO JOE ELLIS:

“As a trustee and someone Pat designated to oversee his team, I have an enormous responsibility to carefully administer his succession plan and make decisions in the best interests of the Broncos. We will continue to follow Pat’s blueprint—and nobody else’s—while keeping our focus as an organization on having a successful season.”

LawDog
05-31-2018, 03:52 PM
Just for some background on the kids:

https://www.denverpost.com/2016/06/21/three-of-pat-bowlens-children-no-longer-working-for-broncos/

John shot himself in the foot (figuratively) and Brittany doesn't seem like a contender for at least several years yet. So it kind of comes down to Beth and Pat III. Beth left to finish her last year of law school, but there may be more to that given Klis' post (EDIT and the Trust's statement) stating that the PBTrust had informed her why she wasn't working there currently. Pat III is still with the organization, for whatever reason, and is probably the front runner at this time.

My guess is that Beth had made a run internally and had gotten a chilly reception from the trust, otherwise I would have expected this to be handled quietly until such time as a successor was announced. Because we are reading about it, it seems that the "desperate PR campaign" theory is not far from the mark.

I doubt that the Trust has an intention of usurping power indefinitely. The fact that the league has openly stated that they are happy with the way the Trust is following the succession plan indicates that they have an understanding of the process and are seeing forward movement, not some "going through the motions but not really because we like to be the de facto owners" situation.

Imho of course.

Hawgdriver
05-31-2018, 04:39 PM
I have faith in no one. :laugh:

With every day I'm getting closer to that place.

NightTrainLayne
05-31-2018, 04:43 PM
“We have communicated our decision to Beth and her lawyers on multiple occasions. She is also fully informed as to why her employment with the team ended in 2015.

“Although Beth has declined our invitations to discuss her qualifications for the last two years, we will continue to proactively engage and meet with any of the Bowlen children who express a desire to earn the right to succeed their father.

This part of the statement speaks volumes.

Coming from an organization like this, and parsed carefully by attorneys, this is as close as you're going to get to "forget about it". Whatever caused the team to part ways with her in 2015 was not good for her, and looms large in their decision to say she's not qualified.

BeefStew25
05-31-2018, 05:20 PM
We just need time to gel.

slim
05-31-2018, 07:10 PM
At least she's attractive.

You okay, buddy?

Simple Jaded
05-31-2018, 09:24 PM
I’d hit it.

slim
05-31-2018, 09:27 PM
I’d hit it.

Not with consent

Simple Jaded
05-31-2018, 09:32 PM
Not with consent

Mere formality. Chicks dig me.

Poet
05-31-2018, 09:34 PM

They think they can fix you.

No one can fix you - you're eternal garbage and that's why you're my brother.

slim
05-31-2018, 09:36 PM

Fat chicks need lovin too

Simple Jaded
05-31-2018, 10:55 PM
Fat chicks need lovin too

They try harder.

VonDoom
06-01-2018, 12:36 PM
https://twitter.com/johnelway/status/1002599678515429376?s=21

BroncoJoe
06-01-2018, 02:17 PM
She is also fully informed as to why her employment with the team ended in 2015.

That statement kind of stands out to me. Was she fired? I'm curious as to what happened.

dogfish
06-01-2018, 02:30 PM
i'm afraid this thing is gonna turn into a real cluster before it's all said and done. . . it truly sucks, but it does seem like none of pat's kids are really qualified-- which is why we have the trust in the first place. . . if none of them step up, i wonder how long the league will allow the trust to run the team without pressuring them to sell. . . i'm a little conflicted-- emotion suggests that the team is best served remaining in the bowlen family, but who knows if one of the kids would treat it the way mr. B did?

NightTrainLayne
06-01-2018, 02:35 PM
i'm afraid this thing is gonna turn into a real cluster before it's all said and done. . . it truly sucks, but it does seem like none of pat's kids are really qualified-- which is why we have the trust in the first place. . . if none of them step up, i wonder how long the league will allow the trust to run the team without pressuring them to sell. . . i'm a little conflicted-- emotion suggests that the team is best served remaining in the bowlen family, but who knows if one of the kids would treat it the way mr. B did?

As long as Mr. Bowlen is alive, the trust is viable to manage the team.

What we have to worry about is what happens after his death. The NFL won't pressure any decision prior to that, but after his death I think things will move more quickly. On the plus side (for us fans), he might live with alzheimer's for many more years if otherwise healthy.

foco
06-01-2018, 02:51 PM
Does anybody else find that the fact Joe Ellis was put into the position to pick his future boss disturbing? Pat has been one of the best owners in ANY sports. Period. However, this seems like it was a situation set up to fail. Especially considering that there are two separate families (mothers at least) vying for control of ownership. Now that Pat's brother has come out on Beth's side, this is inevitably going to turn into a lawsuit or the franchise being sold outside of the Bowlens.

Freyaka
06-01-2018, 03:19 PM

Actually, he set them in charge to find a suitable owner. It was made clear that being one of Pat's kids doesn't automatically qualify, meaning, if none of the kids step up, the trustees have the option to sell the team.

They aren't simply holding it for one of the kids, though the kids would be the ideal choice.

Freyaka
06-01-2018, 03:25 PM

The league actually seems very content with the situation. They've given their support for Joe Ellis in several occasions and they basically renewed his contact as a temporary stand in for an owner for five years.

There really isn't anything indicating that the league is frustrated with the current situation.

GEM
06-01-2018, 03:57 PM
The league actually seems very content with the situation. They've given their support for Joe Ellis in several occasions and they basically renewed his contact as a temporary stand in for an owner for five years.

There really isn't anything indicating that the league is frustrated with the current situation.

For the time being, but we aren't really any closer to a solution now than we were 5 years ago when it went into place.

Freyaka
06-01-2018, 04:00 PM
For the time being, but we aren't really any closer to a solution now than we were 5 years ago when it went into place.

My gut feeling is they are waiting on Brittney. She feels like the right fit, but she needs more time. I'm fine with things the way they are, a five year extension means the NFL is comfortable too.

For now, that's all I need

NightTrainLayne
06-01-2018, 04:06 PM
Until Mr. Bowlen passes away, there's nothing to worry about.

While he is still alive, even if incapacitated, taking the franchise away from him would be unthinkable. The rest of the owner's aren't going to sign on to that for very obvious reasons.

When he passes there will be more pressure, but until then, there is no deadline to worry about imo.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-01-2018, 04:26 PM
KUSA – It’s not easy cutting through the melodrama that has unfolded between Pat Bowlen’s daughter Beth Bowlen Wallace and those in charge of the Pat Bowlen Trust.

But there is one black-and-white issue that is at the center of this disagreement: Has Bowlen Wallace met the criteria that qualifies her to become controlling owner of the Denver Broncos, as she claims?

Or has she so far fallen short of meeting the criteria, as the Trust stated in a strongly worded response to her press release announcing her intent Thursday?

rest - https://www.9news.com/article/sports/a-closer-look-at-whether-beth-bowlen-wallace-has-met-pat-bowlen-trust-criteria/73-560656775

Denver Native (Carol)
06-01-2018, 05:17 PM
I have some real problems with her. If she truly has done everything that is required to be controlling owner, why did she hire a public affairs firm to make her announcement? Was that to see how the public would react? Why did she just not sit down with the three trustees and discuss it? If true, it was stated that a couple other kids have expressed interest also. Obviously they did it the right way, rather than making a Broadway Production out of it.

GEM
06-01-2018, 06:04 PM
My gut feeling is they are waiting on Brittney. She feels like the right fit, but she needs more time. I'm fine with things the way they are, a five year extension means the NFL is comfortable too.

For now, that's all I need

I agree on it being Brittney.

Nomad
06-01-2018, 06:16 PM
I hope his kids don't make this into a shitshow......Denver Broncos deserve better than that. Mr. Bowlen did such great things for the Denver Broncos. I know he's still alive, but he is a shell of what he use to be.

I believe Carol, PN, and GEM need to go in there, and do some ass whoopin. :D

Hawgdriver
06-01-2018, 07:16 PM
I hope his kids don't make this into a shitshow......Denver Broncos deserve better than that. Mr. Bowlen did such great things for the Denver Broncos. I know he's still alive, but he is a shell of what he use to be.

I believe Carol, PN, and GEM need to go in there, and do some ass whoopin. :D

Yes. I would trust all three as fiduciaries of the Broncos.

Nomad
06-01-2018, 09:16 PM
Yes. I would trust all three as fiduciaries of the Broncos.

They're my favorite 3 Bronco Ladies. My apologies, I did forget Jawsy. I shall take my punishment. All 4 ladies are genuine Bronco ladies.

GEM
06-02-2018, 12:41 AM
Thanks nomad and hawg!

BroncoWave
06-02-2018, 06:24 AM
Found this little tidbit interesting, and not all that surprising.

https://twitter.com/SethWickersham/status/1002605683836096512?s=19

Shazam!
06-02-2018, 07:22 AM
Why was she dismissed in 2015?

Seems to have a lot to do with why she is unworthy...

And they better get someone who is worthy.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-03-2018, 07:55 AM
Troy Renck
‏Verified account @TroyRenck
9h9 hours ago

In light of recent news, interesting nugget in lengthy @woodypaige column for @CSGazetteSports. He notes in previous interview with #Broncos owner Pat Bowlen that Brittany is the only child Pat Bowlen mentioned as potential successor. #Denver7

Denver Native (Carol)
06-03-2018, 05:25 PM
KUSA – When the Pat Bowlen Trust fired back at Beth Bowlen-Wallace’s press-released proclamation that she’s met all the criteria and she’s ready to become controlling owner of the Denver Broncos, the trustees indicated in their strongly-worded response she was not the only child interested in succeeding their father.

A Bowlen daughter is getting closer to one day taking control of the team but it appears unlikely it is Beth.

Introducing, Brittany Bowlen.

Family and Trust sources – including the man himself, owner Pat Bowlen -- have been telling 9NEWS for years that Brittany Bowlen is the child with the best chance to one day lead the team.

rest - https://www.9news.com/article/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/a-closer-look-at-favored-bronco-ownership-successor-brittany-bowlen/73-561043869

GEM
06-05-2018, 03:21 PM
Troy Renck
‏Verified account @TroyRenck
9h9 hours ago

In light of recent news, interesting nugget in lengthy @woodypaige column for @CSGazetteSports. He notes in previous interview with #Broncos owner Pat Bowlen that Brittany is the only child Pat Bowlen mentioned as potential successor. #Denver7

Brittany sat and had lunch with her dad every single day until the time he wasn't coming to the building daily. She has lived the Broncos life for a long time. Seems Beth went and lived in Hawaii for a couple of decades and now is coming back in later in life. I think Brittany is the one. I reacted earlier in the thread with not having a lot of information. After reading more, it seems that Brittany is the best choice.

Tned
06-06-2018, 07:52 AM
Brittany sat and had lunch with her dad every single day until the time he wasn't coming to the building daily. She has lived the Broncos life for a long time. Seems Beth went and lived in Hawaii for a couple of decades and now is coming back in later in life. I think Brittany is the one. I reacted earlier in the thread with not having a lot of information. After reading more, it seems that Brittany is the best choice.

But a girl, seriously, a girl to run an NFL team... ;)

https://imgix.ranker.com/user_node_img/24/477605/original/any-given-sunday-photo-u8?w=650&q=50&fm=jpg

GEM
06-06-2018, 11:23 AM
But a girl, seriously, a girl to run an NFL team... ;)

https://imgix.ranker.com/user_node_img/24/477605/original/any-given-sunday-photo-u8?w=650&q=50&fm=jpg

You want to fight? :damnmate:

Tned
06-06-2018, 12:05 PM
You want to fight? :damnmate:

Only via the internet, because I think I would get my ass kicked in person!!!

GEM
06-06-2018, 12:25 PM
Only via the internet, because I think I would get my ass kicked in person!!!

:laugh: Good answer, T!

Cugel
07-07-2018, 01:05 PM
I have some real problems with her. If she truly has done everything that is required to be controlling owner, why did she hire a public affairs firm to make her announcement? Was that to see how the public would react? Why did she just not sit down with the three trustees and discuss it? If true, it was stated that a couple other kids have expressed interest also. Obviously they did it the right way, rather than making a Broadway Production out of it.

There's a dispute between Beth Bowlen and the Bowlen Family Trust and Joe Ellis.

Ellis and the other trustees have clearly no intention of naming her as the new owner and will wait until one of her sisters is "ready" in their eyes. This could cause problems if none of the others is "ready" by the time Pat dies.

And that can happen pretty quickly. Advanced Alzheimers patients can lose the ability to absorb food. Then they die in a couple of weeks. It can be quite rapid at the end.

The trust clearly had some issues with Beth and her history is not one of major accomplishments, but how many children of billionaires do anything for themselves?

In short, none of the other children is even as accomplished as Beth, so she is clearly positioning herself to make a lawsuit when they try and bypass her. The Trust is saying "we've told her and her lawyers" why she isn't being named.

Shorter version:

Joe Ellis: "We don't like you. So go away and take your lawsuit with you. we're never naming you to owner, and are trying to figure out a way to name one of your sisters, eventually. "

Beth: "If you try and name someone arguably less competent than me, and all of them are at this point, then we'll see you in court. Your discretion is not unlimited you know."

Joe Ellis: "That's why we're waiting. We know we can't get away with it at this point, but there's no hurry. Eventually someone else will be qualified."

Beth is by Pat's first wife, the others are by his second wife Annabel. No love lost there.