PDA

View Full Version : Random Broncos thoughts: In exactly that order.

Ground Control
05-19-2018, 09:57 PM
-This year is going to be fun as hell to watch the Broncos again! For the same reason it was in '15; That team was the first, for me personally, that made defensive play a singular fascination. This team will bring it back, thanks to the tipping point that is Chubb. I cannot see a world where the Broncos do not lead in sacks in 2018.

-Keenum is exactly whom the Broncos need right now. It's not hard to be able to see a world where something goes wrong at QB for us but I don't think it's a matter of 'Minnesota Case' but rather a matter of the reasonable combination of a hard core, stalwart baller that has seen it all and a really good team (Vikings) that made good football together. Keenum will be even better this year because he's hitting his stride all on his own. The Broncos have allot of 'ifs' but I believe they will be a better team than the '17 Vikings, mostly because Keenum, Chubb, and the new core of rookies-with-work-ethics that will all change 'so close' to 'so right'!

-I don't think it's that big of a negative but am I taking crazy pills, or is there too much faith being placed in Veldheer at RT? Or, the deeper question may be is VJ sneaking under the radar with more of his placing dudes out of their natural positions? He said he wouldn't do it but it seems he is. Veldheer is a left tackle. The only time he played RT was last year and he royally sucked! In the desire to stay positive, I'll just swallow this. It just....keeps...nagging....like an itch in the middle of the back...

-Leading in sacks and improved offensive play will help the secondary to excel. More tipping and fun as **** mayhem.

-Even if I'm not taking crazy pills and Veldheer sucks at RT, Joseph will be a better coach this year. He's hiding in the shadows at the moment and playing the lesser to Elway (well, he is and..this really is the season of the GM in the NFL) but I believe he will find his voice during this off-season and stretch his muscles during the pre-season. He might just be a quiet lion during the season, we'll see. Every player says he's got it in him and he is different with them than he is with the media. We'll see. If I hear one more 'practice was good. I don't know why it didn't translate', all bets are off, though. I think we'll have to swallow more than a few cliches and bad slogans on shirts but I do think VJ has a good head coach in him. He's not a genius and he won't make for miracles but the combo of him and Elway can make for championships.

-Yeah, I'm a Kelly believer. Don't get all rational with me, that has nothing to do with it. Well...actually, go ahead. There are plenty of rational points to be made for Kelly being a great backup and a sleeper starter in the NFL. He could just be the perfect tandem with scrapper Keenum as well. Either way, I am a full-on believer in Lynch being waaaaay more a Madden '18 QB than an actual NFL QB. I quiver in anticipation of him proving reality wrong though. Either way, both CK and CK have the fire that the Broncos need moving forward.

-Can't wait to see what the receiver and TE room will bring.

-Strange new wave coaching combos will hopefully lead the way in future of NFL coaching techniques...and not just be strange, new wave footnotes.

-That's all for now. Contrary to Elway's contrariness, the Broncos are the team to beat in the AFC West!

Hawgdriver
05-19-2018, 10:32 PM
Elway has been a good GM, all things considered. I can't get past the VJ vs Kyle Shanahan decision though. But Elway built a championship roster from meh...fact. So I have to think VJ isn't a complete reject. This coming year has one storyline far above all others: is VJ HC material? I'll give him a pass, more than one HOF HC has struggled in year one, in particular young ones. Experience is meaningful. He doesn't need to be HOF material. He just needs to assemble the right people and not step on his trailer hitch. This roster is ok, enough to scare a championship run. We will know VJ's merit at season's end, and that is all that 2018 means to me.

But I am curious to see what happens at TE and RB as fun sidelights. Not as important in win loss column for 2018, but the rookie WRs will mean a lot in future seasons and I want to see a spark.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-19-2018, 11:20 PM
Out of their natural position? I think it’s time someone has the brilliance to play Veldheer at TE!

Ground Control
05-19-2018, 11:25 PM
Elway has been a good GM, all things considered. I can't get past the VJ vs Kyle Shanahan decision though. But Elway built a championship roster from meh...fact. So I have to think VJ isn't a complete reject. This coming year has one storyline far above all others: is VJ HC material? I'll give him a pass, more than one HOF HC has struggled in year one, in particular young ones. Experience is meaningful. He doesn't need to be HOF material. He just needs to assemble the right people and not step on his trailer hitch. This roster is ok, enough to scare a championship run. We will know VJ's merit at season's end, and that is all that 2018 means to me.

But I am curious to see what happens at TE and RB as fun sidelights. Not as important in win loss column for 2018, but the rookie WRs will mean a lot in future seasons and I want to see a spark.

Agreed on all points!

Ground Control
05-19-2018, 11:28 PM
Out of their natural position? I think it’s time someone has the brilliance to play Veldheer at TE!

Could be amazing. As long as VJ doesn't make the secondary do zone again, I'll take Veldheer at TE all day. Sunshine to Veldheer in the AFCCG for the win!

Hawgdriver
05-19-2018, 11:33 PM
If Sunshine makes the roster...which should be a lock if it was me. That dude competes like a mfer, let the man shine!

Hawgdriver
05-19-2018, 11:34 PM
Will McKenzie make the roster?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-20-2018, 12:02 AM

Let’s not get people upset Hawg. :lol:

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-20-2018, 12:02 AM
I took a picture for you Hawg.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-20-2018, 12:03 AM

The quality isn’t great, because I took it with my phone.

underrated29
05-20-2018, 12:07 AM
If Sunshine makes the roster...which should be a lock if it was me. That dude competes like a mfer, let the man shine!

I don’t think he does.

I don’t think he does either.

Hawgdriver
05-20-2018, 12:08 AM

It's fascinating man.

The dude has the Hester gene, but he's all up in his head. A good HC knows how turnovers are death to championships. But you could argue the Grossman Bears was a Hester product. So I wonder if they can rehab his jacked mentalities. Probably ought to give him a camp and short leash unless he has already crumbled.

Hawgdriver
05-20-2018, 12:10 AM

The quality isn’t great, because I took it with my phone.

You are making me cry *******. Thanks.

:laugh:

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-20-2018, 12:13 AM
I hear them fly over head several times a week. Our office is a few miles from Gowen Field.

Simple Jaded
05-20-2018, 05:55 AM
I have several projects close to Buckley Air Force base, it’s pretty cool.

Simple Jaded
05-20-2018, 05:56 AM
-This year is going to be fun as hell to watch the Broncos again! For the same reason it was in '15; That team was the first, for me personally, that made defensive play a singular fascination. This team will bring it back, thanks to the tipping point that is Chubb. I cannot see a world where the Broncos do not lead in sacks in 2018.

-Keenum is exactly whom the Broncos need right now. It's not hard to be able to see a world where something goes wrong at QB for us but I don't think it's a matter of 'Minnesota Case' but rather a matter of the reasonable combination of a hard core, stalwart baller that has seen it all and a really good team (Vikings) that made good football together. Keenum will be even better this year because he's hitting his stride all on his own. The Broncos have allot of 'ifs' but I believe they will be a better team than the '17 Vikings, mostly because Keenum, Chubb, and the new core of rookies-with-work-ethics that will all change 'so close' to 'so right'!

-I don't think it's that big of a negative but am I taking crazy pills, or is there too much faith being placed in Veldheer at RT? Or, the deeper question may be is VJ sneaking under the radar with more of his placing dudes out of their natural positions? He said he wouldn't do it but it seems he is. Veldheer is a left tackle. The only time he played RT was last year and he royally sucked! In the desire to stay positive, I'll just swallow this. It just....keeps...nagging....like an itch in the middle of the back...

-Leading in sacks and improved offensive play will help the secondary to excel. More tipping and fun as **** mayhem.

-Even if I'm not taking crazy pills and Veldheer sucks at RT, Joseph will be a better coach this year. He's hiding in the shadows at the moment and playing the lesser to Elway (well, he is and..this really is the season of the GM in the NFL) but I believe he will find his voice during this off-season and stretch his muscles during the pre-season. He might just be a quiet lion during the season, we'll see. Every player says he's got it in him and he is different with them than he is with the media. We'll see. If I hear one more 'practice was good. I don't know why it didn't translate', all bets are off, though. I think we'll have to swallow more than a few cliches and bad slogans on shirts but I do think VJ has a good head coach in him. He's not a genius and he won't make for miracles but the combo of him and Elway can make for championships.

-Yeah, I'm a Kelly believer. Don't get all rational with me, that has nothing to do with it. Well...actually, go ahead. There are plenty of rational points to be made for Kelly being a great backup and a sleeper starter in the NFL. He could just be the perfect tandem with scrapper Keenum as well. Either way, I am a full-on believer in Lynch being waaaaay more a Madden '18 QB than an actual NFL QB. I quiver in anticipation of him proving reality wrong though. Either way, both CK and CK have the fire that the Broncos need moving forward.

-Can't wait to see what the receiver and TE room will bring.

-Strange new wave coaching combos will hopefully lead the way in future of NFL coaching techniques...and not just be strange, new wave footnotes.

-That's all for now. Contrary to Elway's contrariness, the Broncos are the team to beat in the AFC West!

Scrappy Doo! That’s a great nickname for Keesum, thanks dude.

Ground Control
05-20-2018, 08:36 AM

Totally agree. I love that guy. If he doesn't make it, this might be the year that it would be ok, though. If he gets beat out, it (hopefully) means we will have guys that have the same heart and ethics, but just plain even more talent. I'm OK with that. I still don't think we can lose if they decide to keep him, though.

Ground Control
05-20-2018, 08:39 AM

If so....and it's a huge if...I hope it will be because he dominates and completely reverses his insecure (ball handling and emotional state) nature. If he does, he's our Tyreek Hill, and that's saying something. If he doesn't, his speed sin't worth it and we can happily move beyond that experiment.

underrated29
05-20-2018, 09:54 AM
If so....and it's a huge if...I hope it will be because he dominates and completely reverses his insecure (ball handling and emotional state) nature. If he does, he's our Tyreek Hill, and that's saying something. If he doesn't, his speed sin't worth it and we can happily move beyond that experiment.

He won’t.

Dt
Es
Sutton
Hamilton
Henderson
Rb/kr/pr/ the CU kid, the cfa

Ground Control
05-20-2018, 02:34 PM
He won’t.

Dt
Es
Sutton
Hamilton
Henderson
Rb/kr/pr/ the CU kid, the cfa

I'm comfortable with that. Kind of feel the same way.

Ground Control
05-20-2018, 02:58 PM
Two more not so random thoughts: Kizla is a hard core DB. I know his purpose, and that we never would have known that name if people didn't need to make themselves feel smarter by spouting and reading negative nonsense that only servers itself. I would accept his angle if it had any merit but he's an idiot with no actual opinion. He has no connections, like Klis, and has no ideas that can't be easily linked to his survival as a paid troll. Klis' opinions are kind of crap also but at least he's trying to be an analyst and is forthright. And he has the inside connections. Anyway, f Kizla. Here's to hoping he gains a sack and starts thinking like he cares about the Broncos.

To continue my therapy session of expelling negativity: Mike McCoy is also a DB. IMO, the largest under the radar destructive element of last year was McCoy. He clearly entered his contract signing with the intent of sabotaging the Broncos offense for his personal gain. If he put a fraction of the effort that he put into his own ego into the Broncos offense, who knows what could have been. I just found out he's working for the Cardinals. Maybe Rosen is the next Brady but more than likely, the Belidick scheme will only work with Brady and even Bdick himself would be a foot note in NY Giants lore without Brady. Either way, f McCoy! I know there was way more than him that went wrong last season but I'm pretty sure he's the only one that wanted to screw over the Broncos from the get go!

Thanks for listening in.

underrated29
05-20-2018, 05:35 PM
I’ve been telling people about McCoy since 2010. Only now do they finally get it.

Poet
05-20-2018, 05:39 PM
CK makes me lose optimism for the team. He's going to have to produce more than 22 TDs and 3,500 yards for this team to make a deep playoff run.

MOtorboat
05-20-2018, 06:29 PM
To continue my therapy session of expelling negativity: Mike McCoy is also a DB. IMO, the largest under the radar destructive element of last year was McCoy. He clearly entered his contract signing with the intent of sabotaging the Broncos offense for his personal gain. If he put a fraction of the effort that he put into his own ego into the Broncos offense, who knows what could have been. I just found out he's working for the Cardinals.

What? His ego? How can you even assert this? I'm not a big fan of McCoy, but it was pretty clear after he got fired that the offensive coordinator wasn't the problem. He's was fired as a head coach in 2016, fired as an offensive coordinator in 2017 and made a lateral move to the Cardinals, where he's saddled with an offense losing its quarterback to retirement and the best receiver is near retirement. He didn't "gain" anything.

topscribe
05-20-2018, 07:59 PM
CK makes me lose optimism for the team. He's going to have to produce more than 22 TDs and 3,500 yards for this team to make a deep playoff run.
You keep glossing over the fact that those numbers are over 14 games, not 16. Averaged
out to 16 games, that would come to more than 4,000 yards and 25 TDs.

Simple Jaded
05-21-2018, 09:20 PM
http://www.nfl.com/player/casekeenum/2532888/gamelogs

Keesum played in 15 games.

Poet
05-21-2018, 10:45 PM
http://www.nfl.com/player/casekeenum/2532888/gamelogs

Keesum played in 15 games.

His inability to pick up big yardage terrifies me. I forgot how sad his game logs were.

topscribe
05-21-2018, 10:58 PM
His inability to pick up big yardage terrifies me. I forgot how sad his game logs were.
I don't know what you consider big yardage, or what player you're referring to.

0FAfsoh1wYo

7oVHf9P4ltA

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-21-2018, 11:48 PM
The arm strength isn’t very exciting, but the ball placement and pocket awareness is much better than what we’ve seen the last two years.

Poet
05-21-2018, 11:53 PM
The arm strength isn’t very exciting, but the ball placement and pocket awareness is much better than what we’ve seen the last two years.

He plays small ball and was one of the worst deep ball passers in the league last year. The analysis on his deep throwing concluded that he was very, very fortunate to throw so few picks considering how bad he was at it. That small ball game bloated his completion percentage. His accuracy is solid. But it wasn't a like when PFM threw for over 65% of his passes while attacking the entire field.

His pocket awareness and inability to be a coward IS something I look forward to. I just can't get excited about a one year wonder with inflated game manager stats. And for the love of god, if anyone thinks his stats aren't inflated with how the offense was ran last year, miss me with it.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-22-2018, 12:09 AM
He plays small ball and was one of the worst deep ball passers in the league last year. The analysis on his deep throwing concluded that he was very, very fortunate to throw so few picks considering how bad he was at it. That small ball game bloated his completion percentage. His accuracy is solid. But it wasn't a like when PFM threw for over 65% of his passes while attacking the entire field.

His pocket awareness and inability to be a coward IS something I look forward to. I just can't get excited about a one year wonder with inflated game manager stats. And for the love of god, if anyone thinks his stats aren't inflated with how the offense was ran last year, miss me with it.

Well, I will repeat: I don’t expect him to be good. I just expect him to be markedly better than Siemian was last year

Poet
05-22-2018, 12:23 AM
Well, I will repeat: I don’t expect him to be good. I just expect him to be markedly better than Siemian was last year

TS was one of the worst qbs in recent history. Being better than him is getting a 330 pound guy to beat a 350 pound guy in a race.

topscribe
05-22-2018, 12:27 AM

Okay, I'll miss you with it . . .

Cugel
05-25-2018, 10:22 AM

The Broncos don't want a vertical passing game offense. They want a short ball control offense and running the ball. The Kubiak offense in short. That's their plan. Rely on the defense, run the ball effectively, don't get in unmanageable situations, dink and dunk.

Unless you have Aaron Rogers or Tom Brady, or Drew Brees, that kind of offense is your best bet. Minimize turnovers. Maximize field position. That's why they signed Marquette King

Since 2013, when he took over for Shane Lechler in Oakland, King is second in the league in total punts (426), eighth in gross average (46.8 yards) and net average (40.8), third in punts inside the 20-yard line (168) and first in punts inside the 10-yard line (65).

Why release an adequate punter in Riley Dixon and take a guy with personality issues? They are desperately trying to improve their field position game.

The signing of Case Keenum is the biggest part of that but everything points in the same direction - especially the drafting of Chubb at #5 when they already had Shane Ray and Shaqil Barrett.

They are trying to dramatically upgrade certain key positions.

Poet
05-25-2018, 02:29 PM
You still need to be able to threaten the defense with a deep ball. Otherwise it starts to be sad times when the defense adjusts.

topscribe
05-25-2018, 04:18 PM
You still need to be able to threaten the defense with a deep ball. Otherwise it starts to be sad times when the defense adjusts.
Then why couldn't defenses adjust to Keenum last year? Why is it he played better in the
last eight games than he did in the previous games if defenses are going to have such an
easy time adjusting to him?

Why are some of you talking as if Keenum can't throw the long ball? Haven't you watched
at least some of his highlights? :tsk:

topscribe
05-25-2018, 08:46 PM
Then why couldn't defenses adjust to Keenum last year? Why is it he played better in the
last eight games than he did in the previous the games if defenses are going to have such
an easy time adjusting to him?

Why are some of you talking as if Keenum can't throw the long ball? Haven't you watched
at least some of his highlights? :tsk:
Long ball?

F7c5dVjcsFs

NightTrainLayne
05-25-2018, 08:57 PM
I'd feel good about Topscribe defending Keenum if I hadn't been around here when we traded Cutler for Orton. . .

Poet
05-25-2018, 09:52 PM
I figure we'll go 8-8.

topscribe
05-25-2018, 11:27 PM
I'd feel good about Topscribe defending Keenum if I hadn't been around here when we traded Cutler for Orton. . .
Well, I suppose most everyone thinks I was wrong about Orton. I wasn't. I go by 11 games
during the time he was here. Those were almost the only games he played healthy. The
rest of the time, he was playing on a high ankle sprain. During one stretch, in fact, he was
playing on two of them.

During those 11 games, Orton was a pretty good QB. He just couldn't stay healthy. Probably
his worst weakness was in his ankles. He suffered high ankle sprains in Chicago, then again
in Denver. So he was never allowed to show what he really could do. I don't know why he
insisted on playing on them. Most of the time a high ankle sprain means the athlete will not
play again until it's healed. Which is what should have been done with him. I lay his demise
on the coaching staff for that.

Anyway, when I defend a QB (and I have defended several, from young Elway to Jake to
Orton), I always have the sources behind me, and I usually post them. Like the video above.
I never "argued" the point. I just produced the evidence, take it or leave it. Long ball is the
issue there, and if you watch those highlights, you will see several long balls on the money.
Yes, they are just the highlights, but it does show that Keenum is capable of it, which
contradicts King's claims. So he has his claims that Keenum can't threaten with the long ball,
and I have the evidence that he can. That's the way it has been all along, with every QB in
question.

Poet
05-25-2018, 11:30 PM
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/O/OrtoKy00.htm

Jsteve01
05-26-2018, 10:46 PM

It's fascinating man.

The dude has the Hester gene, but he's all up in his head. A good HC knows how turnovers are death to championships. But you could argue the Grossman Bears was a Hester product. So I wonder if they can rehab his jacked mentalities. Probably ought to give him a camp and short leash unless he has already crumbled.

I think that's a stretch. Hester never put the ball on the ground consistently. He seems to have the holiday Gene. Which we've all learned to fear.

Hawgdriver
05-26-2018, 11:36 PM
I think that's a stretch. Hester never put the ball on the ground consistently. He seems to have the holiday Gene. Which we've all learned to fear.

In 800 touches, Hester has fumbled as much as Adrian Peterson, who has had 2800 touches, and isn't the paragon of ball security himself. 41 fumbles in 800 touches (350 returns, 450 receptions). That is putting the ball on the ground consistently.

To your point, Holiday and McKenzie are worse at fielding the ball, so they don't play. My point was that McKenzie has the jukeability of a Hester, just can't field the ball in live action. Seems able on Wednesdays, not Sundays.

Jsteve01
05-27-2018, 05:48 PM

The Broncos don't want a vertical passing game offense. They want a short ball control offense and running the ball. The Kubiak offense in short. That's their plan. Rely on the defense, run the ball effectively, don't get in unmanageable situations, dink and dunk.

Unless you have Aaron Rogers or Tom Brady, or Drew Brees, that kind of offense is your best bet. Minimize turnovers. Maximize field position. That's why they signed Marquette King

Since 2013, when he took over for Shane Lechler in Oakland, King is second in the league in total punts (426), eighth in gross average (46.8 yards) and net average (40.8), third in punts inside the 20-yard line (168) and first in punts inside the 10-yard line (65).

Why release an adequate punter in Riley Dixon and take a guy with personality issues? They are desperately trying to improve their field position game.

The signing of Case Keenum is the biggest part of that but everything points in the same direction - especially the drafting of Chubb at #5 when they already had Shane Ray and Shaqil Barrett.

Anyone remember the plumber teams where we were towards the top of the league in offense and defense and our special teams were horrid on both sides? It's a huge deal you can't overstate field-position. Because it ends up losing or winning you one score games consistently

Poet
05-27-2018, 05:49 PM
The notion that a deep ball portion of an offense being viable isn't at odds with field position. Le sigh.

topscribe
05-28-2018, 03:36 AM
The notion that a deep ball portion of an offense being viable isn't at odds with field position. Le sigh.
Still on the long ball kick? Please refer to Post #37.

TXBRONC
05-28-2018, 08:58 AM

Kubiak's offense like all other offenses have vertical element to them.

TXBRONC
05-28-2018, 09:00 AM

If you're saying Keenum can't throw the long ball you are woefully misinformed.