PDA

View Full Version : Case Keenum: A Case Study

topscribe
05-14-2018, 03:10 PM
What will our new quarterback do for an erstwhile anemic offense? Most opinions for the many
repeated offensive failures the Broncos and their fans have endured the last couple years have
centered on the offensive line and the quarterback.

The line seems to have been shored up somewhat with the addition of Jared Veldheer, who is
projected to start at right tackle. Ron Leary is expected to move back to left guard, where he has
been considered more effective, and Connor McGovern reportedly will assume duties at right guard.
All in all, most agree that it looks like an improved line.

Quarterback is a different story. After a largely successful year with the Minnesota Vikings, Case
Keenum has been brought in to solidify the position. Whether the Broncos accomplished that with him
has been a topic of debate among fans and pundits alike. Opinions vary from stardom to scrub.

So what can be the expectations with Keenum at quarterback? That is something that will be
determined only by the results of his performance in 2018. Meanwhile, Keenum's track record is the
only set of measurables we have to form our hopes. So I've attempted to provide a brief account of
his experiences so far in the league.

MISCONCEPTIONS FROM LAST YEAR

First, let's address the notion that Keenum disappeared in the playoffs last year. In the game
against New Orleans, he passed for 318 yards, completing 62.5%. Opposing quarterback Drew Brees
provides somewhat of a yardstick, passing for 294 yards at 62.5%. Each quarterback had 2 INTs. Now,
it's true Brees passed for 3 TDs, as opposed to Keenum's 1, but that's because Minnesota opted to
run for TDs. But Keenum did quite well in that game.

Nor did Keenum really disappear in the NFC championship game. He did pass for 271 yards. More
factors entered into it than just Keenum. I'm not trying to excuse him; he didn't play an especially
good game. Philly's defense, of course, had something to say about that.

Minnesota had talent, no doubt. But do the claims it is "stacked" mean the skill positions? The Vikings
had a couple good receivers in Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs. Yet most other teams also have two
good receivers. Admittedly, Keenum also had a good tight end.

Minnesota had a relatively mediocre running game last year. Starting running back Dalvin Cook's 4.8
yards per attempt (Y/A) fell to an average of 3.9 for the season after Cook's injury in the fourth game,
which included Cook's production. The Vikings finished the season ranked 23rd in Y/A. So Keenum
didn't have quite the offensive supporting cast some may think he did. It was good, but it wasn't elite.

A LITTLE HISTORY

The common perception of "one good year" attributed to Keenum is not entirely accurate, either. In
Keenum's first year actually on the field (2nd year in the league) he acquitted himself pretty well in the
eight games he started. He didn't set the world on fire, but first year (on the field) quarterbacks seldom
do. Playing on a pitiful Houston team, however, he did manage 1,760 yards in those eight games and
passed for more touchdowns (9) than he did Interceptions (6).

2014 was a train wreck for Keenum, but not entirely of his doing. After two games with Houston, he
went to the Rams where he sat for the rest of the year. The next year, 2015, he was put onto the field for
six games. Starting with all of 12 games under his belt, he completed 60.8 percent and passed for 828
yards and four touchdowns and one interception. That's not many touchdowns, of course, but it does
represent a 4:1 TD/INT ratio. And his 87.7 passer rating wasn't bad for no more experience than he had.

2016 was Keenum's first meaningful season with 10 games, and he once again found himself playing for
a really bad Los Angeles Rams (4-12) team. He had no help from a running game that ranked 31st in the
league in Y/A. Keenum wasn't great, but he wasn't terrible with receivers whose names would make you
ask, "Who?"

So his past isn't as putrid as some who have not studied his history would make you think. As for 2017,
Keenum had more than a good year. He ranked #1 in the league, according to DVOA,[1] and #2 in the
league in quarterback rating (QBR).[2] He did that by completing 67.6% of his passes for 3,547 yards
(in 14 games, which would average out to 4,054 yards over 16 games), 22 TDS and 7 INTs (3:1 ratio).
And he quarterbacked the team to a 12-4 record (11-3 in the regular season) and played in the
championship game. Oh yes, he was also best in the league under pressure.[3]

I might mention, by the way, that Keenum broke all kinds of passing records and received all kinds of
awards in college.[4]

UNFAIR COMPARISON?

Keenum is popularly being compared to Kirk Cousins who is essentially the "heir apparent" to Keenum
with the Vikings. While Cousins looked more consistent over three years, he did play for one team all that
time. Cousins' team was mediocre, but the Rams team Keenum played for was horrendous. (And
quarterback-killer Jeff Fisher was their Head Coach.)

WHAT CAN WE EXPECT?

Feelings that Keenum will regress may or may not bear out, but it hasn't happened for him yet. He has
improved every year. If his track record indicates anything, it would be further improvement. And Keenum
is a working fool who studies the game like Peyton Manning did. (I'm not comparing him to Manning in
any other way, so please nobody jump on that.)

Obviously, I have studied Keenum's history. From what I see, I have the expectation that he will be even
better this year than he was in 2017. Maybe I'm wrong. I could be. But I don't think so at this point.

SOURCES

[1] https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb
[2] http://www.vikings.com/news/lunch-break/article-1/Lunchbreak-Keenum-Had-ESPNs-2nd-Highest-Total-QBR-in-2017/030346f3-ec4b-4d9a-9b3f-555ce00bc3ca
[3] http://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/25242/virtual-reality-played-a-role-in-transforming-case-keenums-game
[4] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Case_Keenum

Rick
05-14-2018, 03:54 PM
I have hopes. I have worries...but I have hopes.

If even all we get is an Alex Smith level of play, Alex Smith is good enough to take us deep in the playoffs with this team.

Northman
05-14-2018, 06:13 PM
I have doubts, serious doubts but he has this year to prove he isnt a one year wonder as he now is a veteran with experience. Lets see if he is the guy some people make him out to be.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-14-2018, 07:53 PM
If he is better than average I’ll be content for this year, and maybe next.

Timmy!
05-14-2018, 08:00 PM
He's an upgrade.....how much of one remains to be seen.

TXBRONC
05-15-2018, 01:08 PM
We'll see what he does. One of my concerns is that what happened Minnesota is Keenum hitting his peak. He had solid numbers but eye popping. He looks like a guy who takes very good care of the football and makes smart decisions. Is that enough to Denver to the playoffs with the caveat if the defense in the top 5 to 10. Assuming the defense is close to where is was in 2015 is Keenum enough to get Denver to the but also to the Super Bowl? Some analysts and talking heads seem to think so, but I'm in wait and see mode.

Simple Jaded
06-22-2018, 08:06 PM
Keenum was a Rahim the Dream-type stupid play from being THE joke/Choke (that Marcus Williams turned out to be) of the ‘17 NFL PO’s, he was pathetic.

One play, one ridiculously lucky play, from being “just” Case Keenum, as opposed to the Next Kurt Warner.

Proof positive that Top hasn’t watched Keenum.

slim
06-22-2018, 10:15 PM
Keenum was a Rahim the Dream-type stupid play from being THE joke/Choke (that Marcus Williams turned out to be) of the ‘17 NFL PO’s, he was pathetic.

One play, one ridiculously lucky play, from being “just” Case Keenum, as opposed to the Next Kurt Warner.

Proof positive that Top hasn’t watched Keenum.

Your football takes are almost as bad as your political takes

Poet
06-22-2018, 11:00 PM
Your football takes are almost as bad as your political takes

He's usually right, though.

slim
06-22-2018, 11:03 PM
He's usually right, though.

No.

Poet
06-22-2018, 11:04 PM
No.

Yes. And you're often very, very wrong. But you have a huge ego and can't admit it. Or won't because you're one of the toughest guys on the board and you have to protect that image. I still love you regardless and you are still my brother.

Make no mistake, the day you took up the Tunisian Mantle is the day that I knew I would die for you.

slim
06-22-2018, 11:06 PM
Yes. And you're often very, very wrong. But you have a huge ego and can't admit it. Or won't because you're one of the toughest guys on the board and you have to protect that image. I still love you regardless and you are still my brother.

Make no mistake, the day you took up the Tunisian Mantle is the day that I knew I would die for you.

I am wrong a lot and have no problem admitting when I am.

Tunisia or die!

Poet
06-22-2018, 11:13 PM
Tunisia or Die!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-22-2018, 11:35 PM
Yeah, Tunisia suckers!

Poet
09-23-2018, 03:09 PM

WHAT CAN WE EXPECT?

Feelings that Keenum will regress may or may not bear out, but it hasn't happened for him yet. He has
improved every year. If his track record indicates anything, it would be further improvement. And Keenum
is a working fool who studies the game like Peyton Manning did. (I'm not comparing him to Manning in
any other way, so please nobody jump on that.)

Obviously, I have studied Keenum's history. From what I see, I have the expectation that he will be even
better this year than he was in 2017. Maybe I'm wrong. I could be. But I don't think so at this point.

Go on.

Valar Morghulis
09-23-2018, 03:12 PM
Keenum makes me want to smoke crack

Northman
09-23-2018, 03:25 PM
Its in my expert opinion through great research that Keenum sucks. Case closed.

Valar Morghulis
09-23-2018, 03:26 PM
Case closed. Lol. I see what you did there

Hawgdriver
09-23-2018, 05:14 PM
I guess paying Siemian 18 million doesn't turn him into a top 12 QB.

Poet
09-23-2018, 05:35 PM
I guess paying Siemian 18 million doesn't turn him into a top 12 QB.

It's so frustrating. Cousins wanted to go to Minny over Denver....we're the ******* Broncos. They're the Vikings...we took the Vikings' leftovers...and sent them the same guy, on a cheaper deal.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-23-2018, 07:53 PM
Keenum makes me want to smoke crack

I thought the sunrise made you want to smoke crack.

Poet
09-23-2018, 07:59 PM
I thought the sunrise made you want to smoke crack.

No, the sunrise is useful.

Keenum is not.

Topscribe, get your old ass in here and apologize to us.

Poet
09-27-2018, 04:10 PM
:coffee:

Poet
10-01-2018, 11:25 PM
I'm not sure if Top's not coming around because he's embarrassed, or if he has a health issue.

Top, hope you're healthy. Also hope you come back here and eat your damned crow!

Hawgdriver
10-02-2018, 12:04 AM
I'm not sure if Top's not coming around because he's embarrassed, or if he has a health issue.

Top, hope you're healthy. Also hope you come back here and eat your damned crow!

You are an azshole. How many you want to drive away from this mb for your ego? Just enjoy your W in dignity for chrissake.

Poet
10-02-2018, 12:11 AM
You are an azshole. How many you want to drive away from this mb for your ego? Just enjoy your W in dignity for chrissake.

Oh yeah, I'm driving them away in droves. :defense: If you're not privy to the beef then why chime in? Where you chiming in when Top was trolling me in countless threads making snarky comments about intellect and understanding what a fact is? No? Where you there calling him out for his specious and obtuse arguments, like you do to others? I don't think you were, but on that one I'm not certain.

And for the record when he was horribly wrong about Orton he took off for months. You doth protest too much, Hawg.

Hawgdriver
10-02-2018, 12:46 AM
No. I avoid petty squabbles. Well, try. I'm advising you to do the same. From a distance people can tell what's what. You know judges. They observe from a distance.

I'm saying you were right, but your spite and vengeance are a turnoff.

Just know people who can see clearly keep watch. Maybe I should as well

Poet
10-02-2018, 12:56 AM
No. I avoid petty squabbles. Well, try. I'm advising you to do the same. From a distance people can tell what's what. You know judges. They observe from a distance.

I'm saying you were right, but your spite and vengeance are a turnoff.

Just know people who can see clearly keep watch. Maybe I should as well

Do you avoid petty squabbles? Because it the past it sure seemed like you'd jump my ass and then get made when I responded in kind. From a distance doesn't seem to be doing me any good when I get shit on. I'm a you gotta walk it how you talk it kind of guy. Top was here with all kinds of trash talk when it was the offseason and he knew everyone wanted to be optimistic. As the youth are saying today, I keep the same energy.

And come on Hawg, everyone loves it when they get one over on Kinger. But when it's reversed suddenly no one wants it and I'm supposed to be a nice guy about it?

They're watching, right? Okay. So why do I have to be the bigger man? To stay within forum rules I'll just say that in the real world I'm the dude who has my view and still is in The Federalist Society, and joined a 'gun club' as a student organization. I freely admit when I'm wrong. So when they're watching, why is it that there's never these messages for the shit talkers I run into, but just for me? I'm being reasonable - I've only ever asked for fair play baby.

Was Deion Sanders 'lesser' because he danced? Was Favre wrong for the throat slashing? Is Gronk wrong for the TD spike? I thought we were boys? When was the last time you rode for me?

But I'm going to capitulate - Topscribe I'm sorry. Per the advice of my internet attorney I'm going to offer an apology.

Hawgdriver
10-02-2018, 01:03 AM
I guess top really mattered to you. Good job on the W.

Poet
10-02-2018, 01:10 AM
I guess top really mattered to you. Good job on the W.

It was easy, Hawg. You just don't bet on the outlier until the moment that was the outlier is now a norm. Or maybe at least an infrequent but not unheard of occurrence.

Northman
10-02-2018, 02:59 AM
I tried to tell people that he was a one year wonder....

Poet
12-01-2018, 10:33 PM
I'm going to move away from negativity unless it is absurdly bad.

Northman
12-02-2018, 09:51 AM

So you are trying to ween yourself off the Keenum drug? lol

Poet
12-02-2018, 11:13 AM
So you are trying to ween yourself off the Keenum drug? lol

I got the shakes, man!

Simple Jaded
12-02-2018, 07:45 PM
Top must’ve finally watched Case Keenum.

JPPT1974
12-04-2018, 10:30 PM
He has the talent but just needed to be on target and have a good chemistry with the other players there. Now they are clicking.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-04-2018, 10:59 PM
He has the talent but just needed to be on target and have a good chemistry with the other players there. Now they are clicking.

I don’t know man. I think he has a ton of heart, good leadership, good football iq. I just haven’t seen the arm talent as of yet. It seems as though he has a hard time pushing the ball without really stepping into the throw.

TXBRONC
12-08-2018, 10:53 AM
I got the shakes, man!

Maybe this will help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfWlot6h_JM

Poet
12-08-2018, 11:35 AM
Bwhaha

Simple Jaded
12-10-2018, 01:17 AM
ZgnClGC8-WQ

Poet
12-10-2018, 10:18 AM

Losing to a two win team is absurdly bad.

CK couldn't carry the offense to beat a bad team on the road.

We could have won that game with Tim Tebow.

Poet
12-10-2018, 10:22 AM
Keenum's out there doing his best. He really is. That means something.

Northman
12-10-2018, 02:56 PM
Keenum's out there doing his best. He really is. That means something.

Disagree.

He needs to give blood, we need to make him a sacrifice to the Gods.

https://nerdgeistdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/30b97ff83bf648e9dec82c58f3be35e6-vikings-tv-show-vikings-floki.jpg

Poet
12-10-2018, 03:47 PM
I assume the Gods want a more accurate QB. :lol:

Joe Flacco
02-17-2019, 07:59 PM
What a turd of a QB.

Poet
02-17-2019, 08:00 PM
What a turd of a QB.

That's what your GM said just before he agreed to the terms of the trade.

DenBronx
03-07-2019, 07:54 PM
What a turd of a QB.

I would give a penny for Joe Flaccos thoughts today.

wayninja
03-07-2019, 08:14 PM
What a turd of a QB.

He's a turd stringer.

Poet
06-02-2019, 07:30 PM
I bet Top would be so excited to see a Flacco and Lock tandem. :beer:

Poet
09-23-2019, 12:12 PM
I bet Top would be so excited to see a Flacco and Lock tandem. :beer:

I feel like I need to apologize to Top for this post. Top, at the time I thought you would have been excited.

Poet
10-25-2019, 01:36 AM
I feel like I need to apologize to Top for this post. Top, at the time I thought you would have been excited.

Top, so let me tell you about Drew Lock. He's not Joe Flacco, and that's a good thing.

NightTrainLayne
10-25-2019, 11:31 AM
Top, so let me tell you about Drew Lock. He's not Joe Flacco, and that's a good thing.

Maybe we should ask for Top's intercession to send us a Quarterback. .. but could we trust he'd send us a good one? We've had our fill of neck-beard/Keenum/Siemien/Flacco's, and he defended all of 'em.

Poet
10-25-2019, 10:54 PM
Maybe we should ask for Top's intercession to send us a Quarterback. .. but could we trust he'd send us a good one? We've had our fill of neck-beard/Keenum/Siemien/Flacco's, and he defended all of 'em.

He was just an eternal optimist, and didn't let the facts get in the way of a good homer analysis. I envy that in a way. He'll send us a good one.

Fangios Meatballs
07-28-2021, 03:25 AM
Case Keenum ******* sucks.

I remember when we signed him. My buddy from
Cleveland broke the news to me while we were out gambling. I was so sad.

King87
07-28-2021, 10:30 AM
RIP Topscribe.

Fangios Meatballs
07-28-2021, 04:32 PM
RIP Topscribe.

Did he pass?
I remember him for the original bronco forums. He gave us hope when he analyzed every throw by Kyle Orton.

King87
07-28-2021, 06:12 PM
Did he pass?
I remember him for the original bronco forums. He gave us hope when he analyzed every throw by Kyle Orton.

He did, unfortunately.

Northman
07-28-2021, 06:17 PM
He was on the OM for a while as well under the name Greybeard or something like that.

Fangios Meatballs
07-28-2021, 07:43 PM
He did, unfortunately.

Damn. I’m sad to hear that. He was always kind to me.

RIP

GEM
07-28-2021, 09:39 PM
RIP Topscribe.

:coffee: :geezer: :angel:

Fangios Meatballs
10-19-2021, 06:42 AM
we might see keesum up close and personal this thursdau