PDA

View Full Version : Our obsession with injured Big 10 tight ends

Jsteve01
04-28-2018, 11:51 PM
There seems to be a trend here. Three out of four draft we pick a tight end from a Big Ten team who is injured. Feel free to discuss

aberdien
04-28-2018, 11:53 PM
That's basically the 1 pick I don't really understand.

MOtorboat
04-28-2018, 11:56 PM
Fumagalli is hurt?

Ziggy
04-29-2018, 12:08 AM
Butt was the big 10 TE of the year in 2015 and 2016. Fumagali was big 10 TE of the year in 2017. They're both good players, leaders, and high character guys. Not sure, but that might have something to do with it.

Simple Jaded
04-29-2018, 12:12 AM
Gary Kubiak like them big, slow, white and thoroughly ordinary in every way, I think the Big 10 part is just a coincidence.

Simple Jaded
04-29-2018, 12:17 AM
Fumagalli is hurt?

Not really, he had a “hip injury” that kept him out of combine testing.

MOtorboat
04-29-2018, 12:22 AM
Not really, he had a “hip injury” that kept him out of combine testing.

Oh. So he's probably fine? Good.

I think Butt and and Fumagalli will be nice additions this season.

Simple Jaded
04-29-2018, 01:07 AM

Yeah, he probably just didn’t wanna run the 40, because **** that.

Jsteve01
04-29-2018, 03:21 AM

Yeah, he probably just didn’t wanna run the 40, because **** that.

Yeah I mean if Lamar Jackson ain't going to run a 40 I ain't going to run a 40

Jsteve01
04-29-2018, 03:23 AM
Butt was the big 10 TE of the year in 2015 and 2016. Fumagali was big 10 TE of the year in 2017. They're both good players, leaders, and high character guys. Not sure, but that might have something to do with it.

I get it but when you've only drafted the position a few times since you been here and literally every tight end that Elway has ever drafted has come in off injury. Seriously think back to Julius and Virgil. Virgil's medical was so bad the many took him off their boards. he looked really good at his pro day. We took a flyer in Elway's first draft because hey the guy was a way above average athlete and what the hell. but again it's just an odd Trend that the only guys were going to draft are going to be these value picks in the mid-to-late rounds who are coming off of legitimate injury.

MOtorboat
04-29-2018, 03:44 AM
Yeah I mean if Lamar Jackson ain't going to run a 40 I ain't going to run a 40

I don't really give a shit about his 40, anyway. I watched both him and Butt make plays in college, and I hope they do so in the pros.

I don't really find much evidence of a significant injury to Fumagalli, so I guess I'm not worried about that and Butt is reportedly healthy.

TXBRONC
04-29-2018, 06:55 AM
Gary Kubiak like them big, slow, white and thoroughly ordinary in every way, I think the Big 10 part is just a coincidence.

Jaded, don't be butt hurt.

Northman
04-29-2018, 07:23 AM
I don't really give a shit about his 40, anyway. I watched both him and Butt make plays in college, and I hope they do so in the pros.

I don't really find much evidence of a significant injury to Fumagalli, so I guess I'm not worried about that and Butt is reportedly healthy.

Agreed. But i guess you cant please everybody.

GEM
04-29-2018, 07:59 AM
Jaded, don't be butt hurt.

He's just hoping the rules committee bans all white guys from the nfl.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-29-2018, 08:18 AM
Dude is a solid TE. Just hope he can improve his blocking. A TE who can block and catch would help the line and possibly make defenses think a little when calling splays.

aberdien
04-29-2018, 09:55 AM
I'm just tired of having the same TE year after year. We need some diversification. I think this guy will probably be solid, but he doesn't diversify the position all that much.

I think Butt will be good.

Traveler
04-29-2018, 10:37 AM
Two trends I see with Elway and the draft. Their penchant for drafting injured players and their complete lack of value for talented offensive lineman.

Meaning it is quite evident they seem to believe the OL position isn't that important. They only invest high round draft capital into the position only when they are forced to do so- see Bolles last year.

On paper, Elway may have finally selected a number of solid players this year as compared to his more recent drafts. I really like what they did these last couple of days. My only complaint being the cursory attention paid to the OL. There should be a bit of a purge at the OG position. Garcia and Turner should be jettisoned. Watson should be tried at RG IMO. Only reason he is still on the roster is the team would take a huge cap hit.

Said all this to prepare myself for another year of crappy OL play unless McGovern really did turn the corner at the RG position.

As to the TE position there won't be too much change. My guess is Butt, Traylor and Heurmann, will make the team unless they bring in Marcedes Lewis.

Tned
04-29-2018, 11:03 AM

Yep. He seems obsessed with players skin color.

Simple Jaded
04-30-2018, 02:00 AM
White guilt hate.

Simple Jaded
04-30-2018, 02:02 AM

Where do I sign?

Simple Jaded
04-30-2018, 02:03 AM
Agreed. But i guess you cant please everybody.

Including you.

Northman
04-30-2018, 04:48 AM
Including you.

Exactly my point.

jhns
04-30-2018, 11:07 AM
What's with the TE race talk? We had a black TE up until this offseason, and the best TE in the NFL is white.

Poet
04-30-2018, 11:46 AM
This thread is interesting.

dogfish
04-30-2018, 11:50 AM
owen daniels 6.0. . .

TXBRONC
04-30-2018, 11:55 AM
I get it but when you've only drafted the position a few times since you been here and literally every tight end that Elway has ever drafted has come in off injury. Seriously think back to Julius and Virgil. Virgil's medical was so bad the many took him off their boards. he looked really good at his pro day. We took a flyer in Elway's first draft because hey the guy was a way above average athlete and what the hell. but again it's just an odd Trend that the only guys were going to draft are going to be these value picks in the mid-to-late rounds who are coming off of legitimate injury.

Julius Thomas was not injured when he was drafted. I do remember getting injured during his rookie season (a high ankle sprain iirc) but not before hand. Green was available for 15 games his rookie season and he started three games. So what significant injuries did those guys come in with because I can't find anything that shows they were injured prior to being drafted?

G_Money
04-30-2018, 12:11 PM
Two trends I see with Elway and the draft. Their penchant for drafting injured players and their complete lack of value for talented offensive lineman.

Meaning it is quite evident they seem to believe the OL position isn't that important. They only invest high round draft capital into the position only when they are forced to do so- see Bolles last year.

On paper, Elway may have finally selected a number of solid players this year as compared to his more recent drafts. I really like what they did these last couple of days. My only complaint being the cursory attention paid to the OL. There should be a bit of a purge at the OG position. Garcia and Turner should be jettisoned. Watson should be tried at RG IMO. Only reason he is still on the roster is the team would take a huge cap hit.

Said all this to prepare myself for another year of crappy OL play unless McGovern really did turn the corner at the RG position.

As to the TE position there won't be too much change. My guess is Butt, Traylor and Heurmann, will make the team unless they bring in Marcedes Lewis.

I'm not a fan of how they've treated the OL either, I think I've been pretty clear on that. I don't mind drafting later developmental OL, but Denver has been abominable at developing those players. I also think the OL will prevent Denver from being as good as they want to be this year... but when you're coming back from 5-11, you can't do it all in one draft.

Bolles - 20th pick, 2017
Sambrailo - 59th pick, 2015
Schofield - 95th pick, 2014

That's 3 players in the top 100 in the previous 4 drafts, two of whom have bombed and the third is still on training wheels. I would have liked an OL in the Shane Ray draft, but there was a run on em before Denver got up. They could have drafted DJ Humphries instead of Ray, but they just added Veldheer who played with Humphries and is a similar player for a lot less draft capital.

Denver has on occasion invested higher-round picks in the offensive front, but they've been reaches. If there's a Will Hernandez level player at Denver's slot next year (or hey, a quality OT) I'll once again be banging the drum for a legit add at the positions.

But mostly I'm happy with the solid players you're talking about since that's a step up from what Elway has done with the draft recently. And I say this as someone who wanted Nelson at #5. Hard to be mad about Chubb - just trade Ray or Barrett to Dallas for a lineman now, thanks.

G_Money
04-30-2018, 12:15 PM
owen daniels 6.0. . .

I would kill for Butt or Fumagalli to be as good as Owen Daniels was for his career. 10 year career, 5000+ receiving yards on nearly 500 catches? Sure, totally take that from where those guys were drafted. Gimme two Owen Danielses, precious.

TXBRONC
04-30-2018, 12:39 PM
I'm not a fan of how they've treated the OL either, I think I've been pretty clear on that. I don't mind drafting later developmental OL, but Denver has been abominable at developing those players. I also think the OL will prevent Denver from being as good as they want to be this year... but when you're coming back from 5-11, you can't do it all in one draft.

Bolles - 20th pick, 2017
Sambrailo - 59th pick, 2015
Schofield - 95th pick, 2014

That's 3 players in the top 100 in the previous 4 drafts, two of whom have bombed and the third is still on training wheels. I would have liked an OL in the Shane Ray draft, but there was a run on em before Denver got up. They could have drafted DJ Humphries instead of Ray, but they just added Veldheer who played with Humphries and is a similar player for a lot less draft capital.

Denver has on occasion invested higher-round picks in the offensive front, but they've been reaches. If there's a Will Hernandez level player at Denver's slot next year (or hey, a quality OT) I'll once again be banging the drum for a legit add at the positions.

But mostly I'm happy with the solid players you're talking about since that's a step up from what Elway has done with the draft recently. And I say this as someone who wanted Nelson at #5. Hard to be mad about Chubb - just trade Ray or Barrett to Dallas for a lineman now, thanks.

I don't know G I think Denver would better off holding onto Ray, his lost season was due to injury prior to that he was very productive. I could see possibly trading Barrett because of addition of Jeffery Holland who seems to have skill set similar to that of Shaq Barrett. Even then that could be a year away.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-30-2018, 12:40 PM
Does anyone know who the OL Elway was trying to get with his second round pick?

He referenced it in his presser when they asked him why he wr instead of ol.

NightTerror218
04-30-2018, 12:52 PM
Prob the dude from utep who went to Giants

Tned
05-01-2018, 07:28 AM
Prob the dude from utep who went to Giants

I doubt that Broncos thought they had any shot at Hernandez without moving up in front of the Giants.

There were two OL's that went after Hernandez, but before the Broncos. Smith to Colts (another G to go with Nelson) and Daniels to the Bears. Maybe they were hoping to grab one of those two guys.

Cugel
05-01-2018, 07:35 AM

40 times are for stat geeks. There's fast in shorts, and then there's ability to get open wearing pads on Sundays in the NFL against press coverage by experienced CBs and S's. Those two things are not necessarily related at all.

Look at the tape to see what a player can do. Butt was an exceptional TE and would have gone in the late 1st or 2nd round if he hadn't bee hurt. If he's completely healthy now he should have a big impact this season.

Don't know about Fugawi. Guess we'll see.

Cugel
05-01-2018, 07:39 AM
This year our QB (Keenum) doesn't totally suck so we'll see what happens with the TEs when you have a QB who doesn't totally suck as bad as Trevor or Paxton or Osweiler.

Jsteve01
05-01-2018, 10:34 PM

Julius Thomas was not injured when he was drafted. I do remember getting injured during his rookie season (a high ankle sprain iirc) but not before hand. Green was available for 15 games his rookie season and he started three games. So what significant injuries did those guys come in with because I can't find anything that shows they were injured prior to being drafted?

Green had had microfracture surgery in college. His knee was a huge concern

dogfish
05-01-2018, 11:40 PM
Green had had microfracture surgery in college. His knee was a huge concern

ironically, the knee was fine, but his hands were shit. . . :laugh: