PDA

View Full Version : Courtland Sutton Pick #40 Denver Broncos

WARHORSE
04-27-2018, 11:59 PM
Welcome to the Denver Broncos Courtland. I hope you live up to our standards buddy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrt3zGDy0fg

UnderArmour
04-28-2018, 08:44 AM
I know people really wanted an offensive lineman, but with DT or Sanders aging and one likely gone next offseason, this was perfect timing to bring on a guy like Sutton. The Broncos have had a lot of luck drafting bigger receivers in Marshall and DT, so fingers crossed this guy is no different. I'm excited to see if this team can actually have 3rd and 4th options in the passing game for the first time in 3 years.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-28-2018, 09:44 AM
Love this pick. We sucked in red zone last year. This mammoth with incredible hands should help improve that.

Simple Jaded
04-28-2018, 01:46 PM
When your QB is 5’-2” you better get tall receivers.

elsid13
04-28-2018, 02:03 PM

We drafted Mo?

Simple Jaded
04-28-2018, 02:07 PM
We drafted Mo?

I wish.

WARHORSE
04-28-2018, 05:28 PM
Watch this kids tape..............looks an AWFUL LOT like Brandon Marshall. Very similar game. Makes the first guy miss, is elusive even at his size.

College production was same in senior year, but Sutton had WAY better junior year too.

IM LOVIN THIS PICK.

WARHORSE
04-28-2018, 05:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YWDTaLtYWE

Freyaka
04-28-2018, 05:39 PM
Welcome to the Denver Broncos Courtland. I hope you live up to our standards buddy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrt3zGDy0fg

I like the pick, but that video isn't the best highlight video lol. Half of his TD's wouldn't even be catches in the NFL because he only gets one foot down in bounds.

Freyaka
04-28-2018, 05:43 PM

That one is a lot better. Reminds me a lot of DT in his younger days. He has a real ability to make people miss on short passes and turn up the field for a lot of yards after the catch. That is going to be important with our offense this year. I expect us to focus on getting short yardage to keep the drive alive so his ability to make big plays of screens and short routes will be a big help.

Jsteve01
04-29-2018, 09:29 AM

That one is a lot better. Reminds me a lot of DT in his younger days. He has a real ability to make people miss on short passes and turn up the field for a lot of yards after the catch. That is going to be important with our offense this year. I expect us to focus on getting short yardage to keep the drive alive so his ability to make big plays of screens and short routes will be a big help.

He's not as explosive as Demaryius is athletically. You know honestly the thing I like about both the receivers that we drafted is that they are not your typical Divas. I am so tired of watching guys turn into whiny little babies and me first players when they get in the NFL. I really truly believe Sutton and Hamilton are High character guys. The analogy for me would be a poor man's AJ Green. AJ is a plus athlete but he's not as athletic as a Calvin Johnson or Demaryius Thomas.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-29-2018, 10:23 AM
Anquan Boldin

Traveler
04-29-2018, 10:50 AM
WR's- DT, Sanders, Sutton, Hamilton, Taylor, Henderson, McKenzie, Bell, Cracraft, Leslie, and Patrick.

Who makes the final cut if they keep six receivers?

UnderArmour
04-29-2018, 10:56 AM
WR's- DT, Sanders, Sutton, Hamilton, Taylor, Henderson, McKenzie, Bell, Cracraft, Leslie, and Patrick.

Who makes the final cut if they keep six receivers?

DT, Sanders, Sutton, Hamilton, Henderson and one of the UDFAs with Taylor opening the year on PUP as he continues his recovery.

Rick
04-29-2018, 11:19 AM
Watched his press conference. Great attitude.

CoachChaz
04-29-2018, 12:27 PM
I like Sutton's potential, but I'm betting Hamilton out-produces him sooner.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-29-2018, 12:53 PM
I'm giddy about both of em.

Simple Jaded
04-29-2018, 03:06 PM
He's not as explosive as Demaryius is athletically. You know honestly the thing I like about both the receivers that we drafted is that they are not your typical Divas. I am so tired of watching guys turn into whiny little babies and me first players when they get in the NFL. I really truly believe Sutton and Hamilton are High character guys. The analogy for me would be a poor man's AJ Green. AJ is a plus athlete but he's not as athletic as a Calvin Johnson or Demaryius Thomas.
You had me until you said Green wasn’t as athletic as CJ and DT.

dogfish
04-29-2018, 10:18 PM
so, are we talking more kelvin benjamin than a young DT, or does he have some wheels for a big guy?

slim
04-29-2018, 10:20 PM
so, are we talking more kelvin benjamin than a young DT, or does he have some wheels for a big guy?

He reminds me of Alshon Jeffery, but faster.

7alpha30
04-29-2018, 10:46 PM

He should have opened with a "hello". Then he could have had you at hello.

topscribe
04-29-2018, 11:07 PM
That's a possibility because Hamilton fits in the slot. Sutton will have to spell the outside.

Jsteve01
04-29-2018, 11:23 PM

He isnt as twitchy as they are. Never had their speed or explosion. Im not saying he isnt a very good athlete, but he never sniffed low 4.4s or 4.3s and he doesnt jump like them.

Simple Jaded
04-30-2018, 12:30 AM
He isnt as twitchy as they are. Never had their speed or explosion. Im not saying he isnt a very good athlete, but he never sniffed low 4.4s or 4.3s and he doesnt jump like them.

AJ Green? The Bengals WR?

Ran 4.48 with 6.9 3-cone and 35” vertical. 10/20 yard splits were in their range too.

Nobody is in CJ league, now that you mention it. I guess my argument is relative to DT alone, and he didn’t do any testing (neither did CJ, for that matter, he did vertical and 40).

CoachChaz
04-30-2018, 01:28 PM
That's a possibility because Hamilton fits in the slot. Sutton will have to spell the outside.

Hamilton is also a much more polished route runner with more consistent hands.

Poet
04-30-2018, 01:52 PM

Ran 4.48 with 6.9 3-cone and 35” vertical. 10/20 yard splits were in their range too.

Nobody is in CJ league, now that you mention it. I guess my argument is relative to DT alone, and he didn’t do any testing (neither did CJ, for that matter, he did vertical and 40).

He had a good forty time, not a great one - coming out of college his strength was route running, and deep ball playmaking (he jumped fine, not as well as other WRs). I always felt bad for him because he was saddled with Dalton. Average QB's are such a burden, man.

WARHORSE
04-30-2018, 02:28 PM

Yeah, thats probable.....Hamilton is a stud in the slot.

If Sutton plays out like Marshall did, year 2 is the breakout. However, I hope he becomes a redzone matchup for us sooner rather than later.

CoachChaz
04-30-2018, 02:30 PM
Yeah, thats probable.....Hamilton is a stud in the slot.

If Sutton plays out like Marshall did, year 2 is the breakout. However, I hope he becomes a redzone matchup for us sooner rather than later.

At worst, he "should" certainly be a better option than Latimer or Fowler.

G_Money
04-30-2018, 03:02 PM
At worst, he "should" certainly be a better option than Latimer or Fowler.

At the VERY least. I expect Sutton to take a year to figure out the NFL, but that's why they drafted him a year before they truly need him. I'm with Coach, I expect Hamilton to have a better chance immediately because he's a slot guy who can cut glass with the sharpness of his routes already. That makes him perfect for rub routes, picks, and timing patterns - he would have made so much money as a Peyton Manning receiver, since Manning would always know exactly where Hamilton was going to be. Hopefully Keenum can do the same.

But Sutton should be a good one. I'm not sold that he'll be a great one, but I guess that depends on what you consider great and how he grows into his career. He strikes me as a tremendous #2 receiver. I think NFL.com (or one of the draft sites) brought up Muhsin Muhammad, which strikes me as a good upside comp. He can be a #1, but he's not now and he'd have to be able to handle double teams (or even draw them) to earn that moniker in the NFL. That said, guys like Rod Smith and Muhammad were great players (both over 800 catches and 10,000 yards) who weren't necessarily thought of as #1 receivers for large chunks of their careers, and I would be delighted for Courtland to wind up with a career like that.

My excitement level for Sutton isn't off-the-charts, but I think he'll be a great piece and I'm looking forward to seeing him in a Broncos uni ASAP. At first blush, the Broncos got really good people who are also very talented and should have long careers in the league. Having Sutton and Hamilton understudy Denver's current wideouts can only help them going forward.

CoachChaz
04-30-2018, 03:19 PM
At the VERY least. I expect Sutton to take a year to figure out the NFL, but that's why they drafted him a year before they truly need him. I'm with Coach, I expect Hamilton to have a better chance immediately because he's a slot guy who can cut glass with the sharpness of his routes already. That makes him perfect for rub routes, picks, and timing patterns - he would have made so much money as a Peyton Manning receiver, since Manning would always know exactly where Hamilton was going to be. Hopefully Keenum can do the same.

But Sutton should be a good one. I'm not sold that he'll be a great one, but I guess that depends on what you consider great and how he grows into his career. He strikes me as a tremendous #2 receiver. I think NFL.com (or one of the draft sites) brought up Muhsin Muhammad, which strikes me as a good upside comp. He can be a #1, but he's not now and he'd have to be able to handle double teams (or even draw them) to earn that moniker in the NFL. That said, guys like Rod Smith and Muhammad were great players (both over 800 catches and 10,000 yards) who weren't necessarily thought of as #1 receivers for large chunks of their careers, and I would be delighted for Courtland to wind up with a career like that.

My excitement level for Sutton isn't off-the-charts, but I think he'll be a great piece and I'm looking forward to seeing him in a Broncos uni ASAP. At first blush, the Broncos got really good people who are also very talented and should have long careers in the league. Having Sutton and Hamilton understudy Denver's current wideouts can only help them going forward.

I'll agree with this while also preferring we drafted Anthony Miller or Christian Kirk at that spot. Maybe Kirk a little less with the knowledge we drafted Hamilton later.

Neither Kirk or Miller are the big receiver that Sutton is, but I think from a productivity perspective, both could potentially be better. But again...I'm good with the Sutton pick and what he could potentially become. Muhammad and Jeffrey are probably pretty good comps for him.

Jsteve01
04-30-2018, 03:53 PM

Bullshit. He ran 4.5 at the combine. Dont tell me youre nabbing pro day numbers after you just shit all over them in the other thread lol

BroncoJoe
04-30-2018, 03:56 PM
Welcome to the Broncos, Courtland!

:salute:

TXBRONC
04-30-2018, 07:10 PM

I looked the roster over Jaded, and I didn't see any quarterbacks that are 5'2".

Freyaka
04-30-2018, 07:31 PM
I looked the roster over Jaded, and I didn't see any quarterbacks that are 5'2".

How dare you question Jaded's hyperbole after all he's done for you!

TXBRONC
04-30-2018, 08:02 PM
How dare you question Jaded's hyperbole after all he's done for you!

Well, ingratitude is one of my major character flaws. I've seen a counselor for help, but I just can't seem to give a shit what he has to say.

G_Money
05-15-2018, 03:45 PM
https://twitter.com/Broncos/status/996466305568944129

Courtland's got the hands. Just needs to work on the form.

WARHORSE
05-15-2018, 05:23 PM
Courtland got da Gun Show on full display..........video of him catching some passes looked good too!

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/photo-gallery/Broncos-rookies-join-veterans-on-practice-field/d1372f28-67fb-42c4-8c04-54cf9fbdca98#df4ea37a-4daa-4b10-809f-4ff5748cbbce (http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/photo-gallery/Broncos-rookies-join-veterans-on-practice-field/d1372f28-67fb-42c4-8c04-54cf9fbdca98#df4ea37a-4daa-4b10-809f-4ff5748cbbce)

Simple Jaded
05-15-2018, 10:47 PM
Suns out, guns out. I always say.

Simple Jaded
05-15-2018, 10:49 PM

He’s hard to see, that’s for sure.

Simple Jaded
05-15-2018, 10:57 PM
Bullshit. He ran 4.5 at the combine. Dont tell me youre nabbing pro day numbers after you just shit all over them in the other thread lol

http://www.draftscout.com/members/ratings/profile.php?pyid=82820

That’s NFL Draft Scout info, best in the biz. Apparently he didn’t even run at his Pro Day.

Btw, I acknowledged Johnson and this supposed 4.5 is better than DT’s recorded “official” 40, unless you’re nabbing college spring practice numbers, or some wild guess ... which isn’t even worth shitting all over. After all, Cornelius Washington ran a 4.2 for UGA at 250lbs during their spring testing.

So with that bullshit in mind, remind me how DT and Green’s “official” numbers stack up again.

Hint; DT literally doesn’t have any.

Edit, here’s your comparison.

http://www.draftscout.com/members/ratings/profile.php?pyid=66875

Poet
05-15-2018, 11:01 PM

He actually jumps very well and was/is the best at attacking the ball at the high point. Coming out of college he was the number one WR in the draft class and part of that was his speed and jumping ability.

His biggest knock was his poor YAC, not his athleticism, which was often on display to this day. Yeah, I still like A.J. Green - so sue me.

Jsteve01
05-15-2018, 11:04 PM

He actually jumps very well and was/is the best at attacking the ball at the high point. Coming out of college he was the number one WR in the draft class and part of that was his speed and jumping ability.

His biggest knock was his poor YAC, not his athleticism, which was often on display to this day. Yeah, I still like A.J. Green - so sue me.

Is it a conflict of interest if I retain you to sue you?

Poet
05-15-2018, 11:04 PM
Is it a conflict of interest if I retain you to sue you?

You just broke the space time continuum!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-16-2018, 12:22 AM
This has been special.

Freyaka
05-16-2018, 09:57 AM
This has been special.

That's what she said.

WARHORSE
05-16-2018, 05:56 PM
That's what she said.

Your mom?

:D