PDA

View Full Version : Garett Bolles focused on eliminating mistakes, meeting expectations

Denver Native (Carol)
04-23-2018, 11:08 AM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The expectations for 2017 first-round pick Garett Bolles remain high.

And even after a rookie season in which he started all 16 games, what’s next is all that seems to matter.

Bolles showed his potential when he earned a starting role ahead of Week 1, and he began to provide a semblance of stability at the position as the season progressed. But he also led the team in penalties, 10 of which were offensive-holding calls.

The Broncos suffered in those situations — and Bolles knows he’ll need to improve in that area as he heads into Year 2.

“Going into your second year knowing you have experience behind you and you can just learn from those experiences,” Bolles said. “So those things that you experienced in your first couple games as a rookie, you’re not really going to experience those because you’re going to be more calm and prepared because you’ve seen those things before. Just staying calm and confident. [I’m working on] limiting the things that I struggled with last year and just going in with an open mind and eager to work.”

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Garett-Bolles-focused-on-eliminating-mistakes-meeting-expectations/fd8b19a8-fe6e-489f-9a79-58b896097702

MOtorboat
04-23-2018, 11:10 AM
Bolles will be fine.

Tned
04-23-2018, 11:20 AM
Bolles will be fine.

It's not like I've clocked every holding penalty he took, but I know a lot of them were good holds. Meaning, that whether he was beat or he was picking up a guy that got between he and Garcia, many of the holds would have been sacks and possibly resulted in an injured QB.

That said, some of those holds were due to him being beat.

I thought as a rookie he did just fine and I expect him to be better and turn into a solid tackle.

Poet
04-23-2018, 01:00 PM
He's going to be a good left tackle. It wasn't the sexiest pick, nor was it the most satisfactory from a fan's point of view. Bolles in years past would have been the fourth or fifth best LT prospect, which means that he'd have been a late round first round pick or early second rounder. We probably had to reach a little for him, but his ability is legitimate. He gets it, he's passionate, he cares, and he's a little bit crazy. Those are good attributes.

BroncoJoe
04-23-2018, 01:05 PM
I'm expecting great things from Bolles this year.

topscribe
04-23-2018, 01:11 PM
I'm expecting great things from Bolles this year.
I certainly hope so. A "great thing" would be his not getting a spectacular TD run by Booker
called back by a holding penalty, if you know what I mean.

I hate holding penalties on running plays. :mad:

But I do expect a big jump in performance this year by Bolles . . .

chazoe60
04-23-2018, 01:27 PM
It will be really easy for him to meet my expectations of him. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Canmore
04-23-2018, 01:38 PM
It will be really easy for him to meet my expectations of him. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Cold.

TXBRONC
04-23-2018, 01:45 PM
As he (Bolles) said he's got to improve, but it also would not hurt have better quality guard lining up next to him.

topscribe
04-23-2018, 02:42 PM
As he (Bolles) said he's got to improve, but it also would not hurt have better quality guard lining up next to him.
Of course, that will be Leary, according to reports. Can't get much better than him, unless
we're talking about Quenton Nelson, which we likely will not take and may not have a
shot at, anyway . . .

Ziggy
04-23-2018, 02:51 PM
Leary said in a recent interview that he doesn't care which side he plays on. He'll do what's best for the team. If the Broncos draft Nelson, my money is on them inserting him at left guard and watching him dominate there for the next 10-15 years.

I'm glad to know that Bolles put on weight in the offseason. That was his #1 need in my mind. He was getting overpowered on a regular basis towards the end of the season. He has a chance to be a very good player for a long time if he's serious about improving every year.

topscribe
04-23-2018, 03:14 PM
Leary said in a recent interview that he doesn't care which side he plays on. He'll do what's best for the team. If the Broncos draft Nelson, my money is on them inserting him at left guard and watching him dominate there for the next 10-15 years.

I'm glad to know that Bolles put on weight in the offseason. That was his #1 need in my mind. He was getting overpowered on a regular basis towards the end of the season. He has a chance to be a very good player for a long time if he's serious about improving every year.
Well, Nelson did say he would be just as comfortable on the left or right side.

With his talent, I'm sure that's true. So we'll see . . .

Cugel
04-24-2018, 03:41 AM

They're moving Leary back to LG which was his natural pro-bowl position. For some insane reason they insisted on starting Max Garcia at LG, and he couldn't play RG so they asked Leary to move to RG.

Only Max Garcia sucks. There's no reason he needs to be on the roster at all. Screwing up your OL in order to accommodate him is the "insane" part.

Now, Connor McGovern and Billy Turner appear to be better starting candidates at RG.

Unless they draft is a priority if they don't take a G at #5.

Traveler
04-24-2018, 04:05 AM

He put on weight? Didn’t read the article, but if he did so and added strength, kudos to him.

dogfish
04-24-2018, 11:57 AM
good. . . he has a lot of ability, but he needs to clean his mistakes up in the worst way if he's going to be a quality long term option. . . we can't have him killing multiple drives per game with his screw-ups. . .

NightTerror218
04-24-2018, 03:26 PM
good. . . he has a lot of ability, but he needs to clean his mistakes up in the worst way if he's going to be a quality long term option. . . we can't have him killing multiple drives per game with his screw-ups. . .

Depends on screw up, I think some were grabs on guys Garcia missed

chazoe60
04-24-2018, 03:31 PM
I hope he makes me eat my words but I just don't think he's a very good player. I don't think he'll ever be top half of the league in terms of LTs.

Cugel
04-24-2018, 04:05 PM
I hope he makes me eat my words but I just don't think he's a very good player. I don't think he'll ever be top half of the league in terms of LTs.

I don't think his future is set. He certainly has the athleticism to become an elite LT which is why they drafted him. He needs work on his technique, he needs to get stronger, but that is normal for OL entering the NFL.

This is a league for big tough professional players, they aren't going up against College players they can dominate through sheer superior athleticism.

We'll see how he does this year but for a guy thrown in at LT it's a huge adjustment. Not surprising if he struggled year one.

A much better plan would have been to start him out in rotation with a veteran T ahead of him, but Elway's past crappy drafting and crappy FA acquisitions at OL made that impossible.

BroncoJoe
04-24-2018, 04:33 PM

Oh, he'll make you eat your words, you POS. If not, I will.

#comeatmebro

chazoe60
04-24-2018, 04:39 PM
Oh, he'll make you eat your words, you POS. If not, I will.

#comeatmebro

I'm not scared of Bolles, I saw him act like his leg was cut off when he sprained his ankle.

I'm only afraid of you because of the AIDS.

BroncoJoe
04-24-2018, 04:49 PM
I'm not scared of Bolles, I saw him act like his leg was cut off when he sprained his ankle.

I'm only afraid of you because of the AIDS.

This statement is not appreciated.

#thefightisreal

Simple Jaded
04-24-2018, 10:32 PM
Anybody who remembers Bolles getting trucked by Ryan Kerrigan might to be a little concerned about his future.

I love Bolles but I’m sick and ******* tired of watching Broncos OL getting run over.

turftoad
04-24-2018, 10:42 PM
He's not a true franchise LT. Maybe a RT type.

I hope the best though.!

Nomad
04-25-2018, 05:56 AM
So let me get this straight, a 1st rd QB who can't even get on the field gets tons of excuses and needs time to develop, but a LT is expected to be all pro his rookie year with no time to develop to NFL speed and is called a bust after one year. My goodness.

Oh well.....Nelson will make it all better

dogfish
04-25-2018, 11:32 AM
So let me get this straight, a 1st rd QB who can't even get on the field gets tons of excuses and needs time to develop, but a LT is expected to be all pro his rookie year with no time to develop to NFL speed and is called a bust after one year. My goodness.

#MashFacesIn'18
#Nelson4President

Poet
04-25-2018, 01:10 PM

I simply think that QB is the harder position to play and that your point about getting on the field is a solid reason to put a young QB on the field so they can get experience. Bolles isn't a bust, we agree on that, and honestly I think the young man can be great.

Nelson is a guard. If he can also be a LT mentor and coach then holy **** I am excited about that pick. :D

Nomad
04-25-2018, 02:45 PM
I simply think that QB is the harder position to play and that your point about getting on the field is a solid reason to put a young QB on the field so they can get experience. Bolles isn't a bust, we agree on that, and honestly I think the young man can be great.

Nelson is a guard. If he can also be a LT mentor and coach then holy **** I am excited about that pick. :D

I knew you'd find a seat on the Nelson train. Tomorrow night, we'll welcome Nelson to the Broncos.

Poet
04-25-2018, 02:50 PM
I knew you'd find a seat on the Nelson train. Tomorrow night, we'll welcome Nelson to the Broncos.

I'm not longer about getting 'deep' into the subject matter. Go Broncos. That simple.