PDA

View Full Version : JFE listed as one of the least trusted GM's in the NFL

Northman
04-19-2018, 07:02 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/usa-today-poll-washington-redskins-are-the-least-trusted-team-in-the-nfl-and-one-of-the-worst-prepared/

https://scontent.fphl2-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/31091975_10215915750312829_8186899212427783801_n.j pg?_nc_cat=0&oh=312b7d6e1e075853abd41850cea7ee58&oe=5B6FADCD

WARHORSE
04-19-2018, 07:41 PM
Same article says the Broncos are one of the best prepared negotiators.

That also is John.

Northman
04-19-2018, 07:43 PM
Same article says the Broncos are one of the best prepared negotiators.

That also is John.

True, but there is a difference between being prepared and being trusted which I guess is what they are getting at.

WARHORSE
04-19-2018, 07:44 PM
I think letting go of Ward the way he did and Peytons last two years probably contributed to this view.

But I also think John is doing what he can to mend that rep. He dealt with both Talib and CJ face to face.

They were both greatful. Very greatful.

Poet
04-19-2018, 07:46 PM
The Colts GM is on the most trusted list and he's awful.

Simple Jaded
04-19-2018, 08:52 PM
Elway has a horrible reputation with players, started to go south with the Von Miller negotiations that got so bad that the two ruined the ring ceremony with a very heated and physical confrontation.

Elway has become detrimental in free agency and he sucks in the draft.

Btw, I’ve been reliably told by Cugel that the Broncos have a capologist that dictates contract negotiations, so apparently he’s the one that’s prepared.

Simple Jaded
04-19-2018, 09:05 PM
Needed sentimental ties with Kubiak and a ridiculous contract offer to “land” Case Keenum, otherwise you never even hear the Broncos mentioned as a destination in free agency. You hear talking heads predict that Barf Cousins ends up in Denver after the Broncos leak their intentions to go full retard to sign him ... but then ... crickets.

First day of free agency starts and with a stroke of a pen Case Keenum goes from being Case Keenum (the 4th best QB on his former team) to “our guy”.

Poet
04-19-2018, 09:07 PM
Elway is feast or famine. I think he goes through cycles. I remain optimistic, cautiously so.

Simple Jaded
04-19-2018, 09:16 PM
I remained convinced Elway will always be capable of great things but unfortunately he’s hired one of the worst talent evaluators in the entire NFL and his policy to allow position coaches (Kubiak/Sampro, Kollar/Gotsis) to exercise premium picks has eroded the depth chart.

chazoe60
04-19-2018, 09:23 PM
I love Elway, I grew up in Colorado in the 80's it's almost a law that I love that man, but he is a bad GM.

He did two things right. He drafted Von and he signed Manning. Signing Manning hid a lot of deficiencies on this team and it helped us sign FAs we never would have signed.

I hope Elway retires after this season, which will probably be a disaster.

topscribe
04-19-2018, 09:26 PM
By a handful of agents.

Personally, I like it . . .

Poet
04-19-2018, 09:30 PM
By a handful of agents.

On one hand, a bad GM is on the 'trusted list'. On the other hand, the other least trusted NFL shotcallers are awful at their respective jobs.

I can't call it.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-19-2018, 09:31 PM
https://www.milehighreport.com/2017/4/18/15335804/john-elway-ranked-the-second-best-general-manager-in-the-nfl

Simple Jaded
04-19-2018, 09:36 PM
By a handful of agents.

Fake news, I guess?

topscribe
04-19-2018, 09:40 PM
Fake news, I guess?
Nah, real news. Nobody likes someone who can mop the floor with them . . .

Simple Jaded
04-19-2018, 09:51 PM
Nah, real news. Nobody likes someone who can mop the floor with them . . .

Like Miller’s agent did? Dude got everything he wanted. Malik Jackson’s agent? Nope. Todd Davis’ agent? El oh F’n El. Case Keenum’s agent? $18 M/per for Case Keenum?

So basically we’re talking about Jr and Wolfe’s agent, I sincerely hope USA Today’s sample size is more than two agents. Which, if that’s your spin, amounts to the empty “Fake news” bullshit.

Simple Jaded
04-19-2018, 09:53 PM
I don’t like what I’m hearing/reading = Fake News.

topscribe
04-19-2018, 09:59 PM
I love Elway, I grew up in Colorado in the 80's it's almost a law that I love that man, but he is a bad GM.

He did two things right. He drafted Von and he signed Manning. Signing Manning hid a lot of deficiencies on this team and it helped us sign FAs we never would have signed.

I hope Elway retires after this season, which will probably be a disaster.

"Since Elway joined the Broncos as the GM the Broncos have gone 67-29. They won five
straight AFC West titles up until this past season under Elway, appeared in the Super Bowl
twice, and won Super Bowl 50." (Pulled from this article (https://www.milehighreport.com/2017/4/18/15335804/john-elway-ranked-the-second-best-general-manager-in-the-nfl).)

If he continues to be that kind of bad GM, I'm good with it . . .

Simple Jaded
04-19-2018, 10:08 PM
"Since Elway joined the Broncos as the GM the Broncos have gone 67-29. They won five
straight AFC West titles up until this past season under Elway, appeared in the Super Bowl
twice, and won Super Bowl 50." (Pulled from this article (https://www.milehighreport.com/2017/4/18/15335804/john-elway-ranked-the-second-best-general-manager-in-the-nfl).)

Ok, with CK the only thing that matters is 8 of the last 9 games, but with Elway the last 2 seasons don’t matter?

chazoe60
04-19-2018, 10:10 PM

Peyton Manning says hello.

John did build a great defense. No doubt. But he can't draft offense to save his life and he's already been through 3 coaches and will be going on his 4th next season.

His drafts are basically terrible. He was bailed out by signing Manning.

topscribe
04-19-2018, 10:19 PM
Peyton Manning says hello.

John did build a great defense. No doubt. But he can't draft offense to save his life and he's already been through 3 coaches and will be going on his 4th next season.

His drafts are basically terrible. He was bailed out by signing Manning.
I understand. Football is a one-man game, and Manning won SB50 while in his prime. :coffee:

chazoe60
04-19-2018, 10:33 PM
I understand. Football is a one-man game, and Manning won SB50 while in his prime. :coffee:

Yep, that's exactly what I said. We're never gonna agree on this.

topscribe
04-19-2018, 10:34 PM
Yep, that's exactly what I said. We're never gonna agree on this.
Did you read the article Carol and I cited?

Simple Jaded
04-19-2018, 10:53 PM
Did you read the article Carol and I cited?

The Rotoworld article?

Actually, it was a Mile High Propaganda Report article citing a Rotoworld article.

Lame, with a side of lame.

MOtorboat
04-20-2018, 12:35 AM
It's not his free agent acumen I'm worried about. His second and and third round (especially third) picks have not been good, and that's hurting the depth when players like Talib (and soon Roby), Jackson, J. Thomas, Decker, Ward, etc., get too expensive. Just as an example, if Cody Lattimer is the possession receiver we all thought we might have, then Denver isn't staring a slot receiver in the face this year in the fourth or fifth round, and the Henderson kid who didn't even see the field last year (Carlos?). And he's now 0-2 on early quarterbacks (the position that can really bite you in the ass in the draft).

I want to have faith, but this is kind of getting ugly.

DenBronx
04-20-2018, 04:28 AM
Elway has a horrible reputation with players, started to go south with the Von Miller negotiations that got so bad that the two ruined the ring ceremony with a very heated and physical confrontation.

Do you have a link to this very heated and physical confrontation?

All I know is Von Miller cropped Elway out of a photo. That is all.

Northman
04-20-2018, 05:03 AM
Needed sentimental ties with Kubiak and a ridiculous contract offer to “land” Case Keenum, otherwise you never even hear the Broncos mentioned as a destination in free agency. You hear talking heads predict that Barf Cousins ends up in Denver after the Broncos leak their intentions to go full retard to sign him ... but then ... crickets.

First day of free agency starts and with a stroke of a pen Case Keenum goes from being Case Keenum (the 4th best QB on his former team) to “our guy”.

Which is probably why you also heard Cousins say after Denver was out of the sweepstakes that "He didnt feel the situation was right in Denver and the organization seemed in disarray" or something along those lines.

Northman
04-20-2018, 05:09 AM

I think you are missing some key points that Jaded has brought up though. It was pointed out that JFE did a good job at landing Manning and that he hit the lottery with Miller. But i also believe that now the real test begins for him as a GM because now he has to actually find a franchise QB. I know people tend to get a little butthurt whenever there is any criticism laid at John's feet but if you look at it objectively you can see why there is some question marks there.

Dapper Dan
04-20-2018, 05:43 AM
I remember saying a couple years ago that the way he does business could come back to bite us in the ass. That seems to be the case.

BroncoWave
04-20-2018, 05:56 AM

Nice sarcastic, dismissive post that totally misses the point people are making in this thread that without Manning, we might not be able to attract the kind of players to build our team into the one that won SB 50.

BroncoWave
04-20-2018, 06:00 AM
This is definitely a make or break draft for Elway. We have a ton of picks early in rounds this year. If he drafts another crop of busts, it's going to get harder and harder to defend him.

Northman
04-20-2018, 06:09 AM
it's going to get harder and harder to defend him.

Not likely, some people will continue to cut him slack because he is John Elway. I mean, he is my alltime favorite player and i am incredibly grateful that he has managed to already help this organization win another SB. But with his new duties it certainly goes farther than just the immediate future and now is the time for him to start laying the groundwork for this organization for the next decade. If he cant do that than we simply move on from him as well until we can find someone who can create that groundwork. I dont expect John to hit on every pick but i agree with you that this is a very important draft this year.

slim
04-20-2018, 07:11 AM
the vultures are circling, I see.

Hawgdriver
04-20-2018, 07:38 AM
It's not his free agent acumen I'm worried about. His second and and third round (especially third) picks have not been good, and that's hurting the depth when players like Talib (and soon Roby), Jackson, J. Thomas, Decker, Ward, etc., get too expensive. Just as an example, if Cody Lattimer is the possession receiver we all thought we might have, then Denver isn't staring a slot receiver in the face this year in the fourth or fifth round, and the Henderson kid who didn't even see the field last year (Carlos?). And he's now 0-2 on early quarterbacks (the position that can really bite you in the ass in the draft).

2017 draft has been a whiff so far. Hard to tell how much of that is development/scheme/employment/prep. Between Elway and VJ, there isn't much recent success to show for.

Davii
04-20-2018, 08:32 AM
5 straight AFCW titles and a SB > 2 years of missing the playoffs. I think he's earned at least two more seasons before I turn my back on him. If we miss the playoffs for two more years I'll be on the fire Elway train, right now, no way. How many people here have enjoyed the type of successes in their job that he has the last 7 years?

Davii
04-20-2018, 08:32 AM
This is definitely a make or break draft for Elway. We have a ton of picks early in rounds this year. If he drafts another crop of busts, it's going to get harder and harder to defend him.

True. We need to see the team tending upwards for sure.

Rick
04-20-2018, 08:34 AM
I think Elway will always do what is best for the Broncos bottom line, which can interfere with players sticking around and getting paid.

I don't always agree with his course of money actions but one must admit the Broncos have never been in a situation where money is the issue due to dead space and contract killers.

chazoe60
04-20-2018, 08:39 AM
My big problem with Elway as GM is his drafts. Us and the Browns are the only two teams that have not drafted a ProBowler since 2012. I believe that was the stat I heard.

Just too many draft mistakes to overlook. Drafting Bolles instead of Ramzcyk(sp?) or Robinson. Drafting Paxton. Pretty much all of last years draft. So many misses.

Freyaka
04-20-2018, 08:43 AM
5 straight AFCW titles and a SB > 2 years of missing the playoffs. I think he's earned at least two more seasons before I turn my back on him. If we miss the playoffs for two more years I'll be on the fire Elway train, right now, no way. How many people here have enjoyed the type of successes in their job that he has the last 7 years?

I agree with you, but at the same time. I have to really question how much of that was just having Manning fall into his lap, and how much of that was Elway...

He's gotta start hitting on the draft picks or he's probably on his way out.

CoachChaz
04-20-2018, 08:53 AM
I agree with you, but at the same time. I have to really question how much of that was just having Manning fall into his lap, and how much of that was Elway...

He's gotta start hitting on the draft picks or he's probably on his way out.

Pretty much my thought. The ONE season we made the playoffs without Manning, it took the Raiders choking the division in week 17 and a Tebow to DT miracle to win a wild card game. Other than that...Manning has been our success. Both in victories and aiding in getting top free agents to come here.

As mentioned, the bottom line is Elway is going to have to figure out how to draft. Unfortunately for him, it is critical this year and he happens to hold a top 5 pick. We have an aging team and an infusion of young quality talent is needed. Otherwise, Elway's legacy is going to start to dim a little. Hate to see that.

Nomad
04-20-2018, 08:55 AM
I don't like the idea of trading down. I get the Broncos have many holes to fill, starting with that offensive line.

BroncoJoe
04-20-2018, 08:59 AM
Pretty much my thought. The ONE season we made the playoffs without Manning, it took the Raiders choking the division in week 17 and a Tebow to DT miracle to win a wild card game. Other than that...Manning has been our success. Both in victories and aiding in getting top free agents to come here.

As mentioned, the bottom line is Elway is going to have to figure out how to draft. Unfortunately for him, it is critical this year and he happens to hold a top 5 pick. We have an aging team and an infusion of young quality talent is needed. Otherwise, Elway's legacy is going to start to dim a little. Hate to see that.

If he blows this draft, or at least doesn't hit several picks out of the ballpark, I think he's smart enough to remain EVP and bring in a GM.

At least that would be my hope.

Rick
04-20-2018, 09:14 AM
On the flip side, Ozzie is pretty much most respected.

Ravens?

2017 9-7
2016 8-8
2015 5-11
2014 10-6
2013 8-8
2012 10-6
2011 12-4

Since 2011, his teams haven't exactly been the model of NE type consistency.

Buff
04-20-2018, 09:20 AM

Btw, I’ve been reliably told by Cugel that the Broncos have a capologist that dictates contract negotiations, so apparently he’s the one that’s prepared.

I don't remember ever hearing about a physical confrontation between Elway and Von? I know there was the photo cropping drama and hurt feelings, but what are you referring to?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-20-2018, 09:24 AM

Henderson the wr went on IR last year. He broke his wrist in the preseason.

Rick
04-20-2018, 09:24 AM
I don't remember ever hearing about a physical confrontation between Elway and Von? I know there was the photo cropping drama and hurt feelings, but what are you referring to?

That is all I remember as well.

MOtorboat
04-20-2018, 10:18 AM
Henderson the wr went on IR last year. He broke his wrist in the preseason.

Fair enough, I forgot about his injury. But then he got arrested. Regardless of the reason, he’s now way behind the eight ball as a draft pick.

Davii
04-20-2018, 10:23 AM

None that I recall either

Rick
04-20-2018, 10:26 AM
Probably similar to the posts that said Elway made an ultimatum to Kubiak and that is why he stepped down despite there not being a single reputable report to support it.

MasterShake
04-20-2018, 10:28 AM
This survey is about what NFL player agents think. They are about getting the most money for their clients so I am not sure how this is a reflection of anything but Elway's negotiating style. If NFL Agents don't trust John, then he must be doing something right. :lol: I didn't see anyone complaining after he landed Manning and he usually kills it in free agency, his problem as of late has been the draft.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-20-2018, 10:31 AM
Fair enough, I forgot about his injury. But then he got arrested. Regardless of the reason, he’s now way behind the eight ball as a draft pick.

I forgot about the arrest. I’m not too worried about that, it was a misdemeanor.

I agree about being behind the 8 ball. I sure hope things slow down for him this year because he can be electric in the open field. He has potential similar to Brian Westbrook.

Rick
04-20-2018, 10:33 AM
There is no question he makes low ball offers for the most part and he will trim the fat when he feels it is time, but he does swing for the guys he feels deserve it.

CHJ just got an raise, Manning was well paid, Ware, Talib, Leary.

Ware, Talib and Manning were reduced or cut when he felt the time was right, he is 100% about the Broncos bottom line.

He also offered a good deal of money to Okung but in a safe Broncos way, prove it and you keep it.

slim
04-20-2018, 10:34 AM

So he gets zero credit for any team success and 100% of the blame for any perceived failures?

BroncoJoe
04-20-2018, 10:36 AM
So he gets zero credit for any team success and 100% of the blame for any perceived failures?

He is/was a QB, so it makes sense!

:yo:

slim
04-20-2018, 10:41 AM
He is/was a QB, so it makes sense!

:yo:

Bronco fans are spoiled as hell. That is the bottom line.

72-40, 5 straight AFC West titles and 2 SB appearances in 7 years on the job. But he gets zero credit for any of that.

Makes sense.

BroncoJoe
04-20-2018, 10:43 AM
Bronco fans are spoiled as hell. That is the bottom line.

72-40, 5 straight AFC West titles and 2 SB appearances in 7 years on the job. But he gets zero credit for any of that.

Makes sense.

People credit Manning for that, but as Manning said during his induction into the CO HOF, he came here BECAUSE of Elway. I don't think he would have come to the Broncos if not for JFE.

slim
04-20-2018, 10:45 AM
People credit Manning for that, but as Manning said during his induction into the CO HOF, he came here BECAUSE of Elway. I don't think he would have come to the Broncos if not for JFE.

I like how the give Manning credit for the SB win. lol.

BroncoNut
04-20-2018, 11:06 AM

maybe you should deal with problems on your side of the street instead of throwing rocks at our glass house. In fact, why don't you go fly a kite

Northman
04-20-2018, 11:41 AM
I like how the give Manning credit for the SB win. lol.

He does deserve some credit. His leadership especially in the final regular season game was crucial.

BroncoWave
04-20-2018, 11:42 AM
We don't sniff super bowl 50 if Manning never comes to Denver.

BroncoJoe
04-20-2018, 11:46 AM

And thanks to Elway, he did come to Denver.

Chicken/Egg

BroncoWave
04-20-2018, 11:50 AM
And thanks to Elway, he did come to Denver.

Chicken/Egg

Which is great. Now Elway needs to show he can build a winner without a HOF QB in his prime coming available in free agency. I'm not saying he can't do it, but this is a big year for him to prove that he can.

Shazam!
04-20-2018, 11:53 AM
I dont buy a word of this ****.

Elway brought THE two of the most sought after FA in PFM and Ware. If Elway 'couldnt be trusted' think Keenum would have came waltzing in like he did too? Broncos made the first real move in FA in 2018 and i liked their response.

Players know Broncos want to win. Winning is priority and thats all that matters.

Poet
04-20-2018, 11:53 AM
I think the point is that since the departure of the great defensive FA's who came here because of Manning, and Manning himself, the team has been on a steady decline. And because Elway's drafts are pretty mixed, this is probably a job defining time for him.

It's a brutal job.

Poet
04-20-2018, 11:55 AM
I dont buy a word of this ****.

Elway brought THE two of the most sought after FA in PFM and Ware. If Elway 'couldnt be trusted' think Keenum would have came waltzing in like he did too? Broncos made the first real move in FA in 2018 and i liked their response.

Players know Broncos want to win. Winning is priority and thats all that matters.

Why would CK's signing and the context therein have anything to do with trust? A big offer, probably bigger than anything CK would get was tendered. Of course an agent would trust that - the money was on the four corners of the contract and a team was throwing it at the guy's client.

slim
04-20-2018, 11:57 AM
He does deserve some credit. His leadership especially in the final regular season game was crucial.

So does Elway.

slim
04-20-2018, 11:58 AM
I think the point is that since the departure of the great defensive FA's who came here because of Manning,

Do tell.

Poet
04-20-2018, 12:00 PM
Do tell.

You know this story well. You watched it unfold from the inside. I merely watched as I peered in through window, alone and cold.

slim
04-20-2018, 12:01 PM
You know this story well. You watched it unfold from the inside. I merely watched as I peered in through window, alone and cold.

I know it is a fabricated yet popular belief. Like the tooth-fairy.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-20-2018, 12:04 PM
I am persuaded Manning gets a lot of credit for what we did, and so should John.

Nomad
04-20-2018, 12:05 PM
Elway, the GM, isn't above criticism or skepticism. With that said, let's see how this draft and season plays out with the team he assembles...coaches & players. Elway definitely gets credit in his early years as a GM, perhaps last year was a bump to a long road of success.

Poet
04-20-2018, 12:06 PM
I know it is a fabricated yet popular belief. Like the tooth-fairy.

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2016/03/08/john-elway-said-peyton-manning-made-it-easier-for-broncos-to-sign-free-agents/

“It was because what he was about and what he meant to this league, what his reputation was in this league and how we attracted football players,” Elway continued. “Because they knew if he was on their team, we had a chance to win a world championship. And fortunately, we were able to do that and we wouldn’t have gotten it done without [him].”

slim
04-20-2018, 12:07 PM
Elway, the GM, isn't above criticism or skepticism. With that said, let's see how this draft and season plays out with the team he assembles...coaches & players. Elway definitely gets credit in his early years as a GM, perhaps last year was a bump to a long road of success.

I agree. He has made a lot moves that left me scratching my head. But he has also done a lot of nice work.

Overall, the results speak for themselves.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-20-2018, 12:08 PM

Right, nor would we win it if Elway didn’t draft Miller, Wolfe, Malik, Danny T, etc.

Poet
04-20-2018, 12:09 PM
Right, nor would we win it if Elway didn’t draft Miller, Wolfe, Malik, Danny T, etc.

We need more of those drafts.

topscribe
04-20-2018, 12:10 PM
Ok, with CK the only thing that matters is 8 of the last 9 games, but with Elway the last 2 seasons don’t matter?
I can't answer a question whose very elements are inaccurate.

But you notice that what I did was to cite an article.

I suggest you go and take that up with the author of that article.

slim
04-20-2018, 12:10 PM
https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2016/03/08/john-elway-said-peyton-manning-made-it-easier-for-broncos-to-sign-free-agents/

“It was because what he was about and what he meant to this league, what his reputation was in this league and how we attracted football players,” Elway continued. “Because they knew if he was on their team, we had a chance to win a world championship. And fortunately, we were able to do that and we wouldn’t have gotten it done without [him].”

Yes, Manning's presence made it easier. That doesn't mean they wouldn't have been signed without him.

Also, who was it that brought Manning here in the first place?

Poet
04-20-2018, 12:13 PM
Yes, Manning's presence made it easier. That doesn't mean they wouldn't have been signed without him.

Also, who was it that brought Manning here in the first place?

We aren't in disagreement.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-20-2018, 12:13 PM
We need more of those drafts.

Those once in a decade defenses are hard to build. No team has maintained a great defense for more than 5 years, not that I recall. Denver’s defense is still good, but it’s not great.

Poet
04-20-2018, 12:15 PM

I see where you're coming from, Slim. The quote you took issue with could have been better worded like "Largely because of Manning," or "heavily influenced by Manning." I think I wrote it that way out of haste and because my general sentiment towards Elway was sympathetic.

Poet
04-20-2018, 12:17 PM
Those once in a decade defenses are hard to build. No team has maintained a great defense for more than 5 years, not that I recall. Denver’s defense is still good, but it’s not great.

I don't expect him to magically sign a top five CB, a top flight pass rusher, an elite safety, etc. First off, those guys have to be in the free agency pool, and that lined up for us when we had PM. That part was pretty fortunate for us.

But, I do expect some stronger drafting. IDK. Sometimes you're governed by your situation - JE signed Okung to a solid deal, and Okung sucked. That following year the LT class wasn't the best.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-20-2018, 12:22 PM
I don't expect him to magically sign a top five CB, a top flight pass rusher, an elite safety, etc. First off, those guys have to be in the free agency pool, and that lined up for us when we had PM. That part was pretty fortunate for us.

But, I do expect some stronger drafting. IDK. Sometimes you're governed by your situation - JE signed Okung to a solid deal, and Okung sucked. That following year the LT class wasn't the best.
Right

BroncoJoe
04-20-2018, 12:22 PM

5 years is probably being generous...

Poet
04-20-2018, 12:23 PM
Right

Well said!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-20-2018, 12:25 PM
Well said!

I knew you’d be all over that!

Poet
04-20-2018, 12:26 PM
I knew you’d be all over that!

Not really - I'm just showing deference to the board. I continue to be a kind and generous man.

BroncoJoe
04-20-2018, 12:27 PM
Not really - I'm just showing deference to the board. I continue to be a kind and generous man.

Since when?

Poet
04-20-2018, 12:29 PM
Since when?

Since I've returned!

BroncoJoe
04-20-2018, 12:30 PM
Since I've returned!

Oh. I thought you might be talking about the last 24 hours or so.

slim
04-20-2018, 12:32 PM

I agree!!

Poet
04-20-2018, 12:55 PM
I agree!!

I still believe in JFE. He still has the shiny shoes - he's still dancing!

ShaneFalco
04-20-2018, 01:18 PM
NFL.com had him ranked at #7 GM in the NFL like yesterday

Davii
04-20-2018, 01:45 PM
NFL.com had him ranked at #7 GM in the NFL like yesterday

This would seem accurate to me. This ranking is how player's agents feel about him. Player agents are probably some of the worst people in the world, so I wouldn't worry if they didn't like me.

PatriotsGuy
04-20-2018, 02:01 PM
This would seem accurate to me. This ranking is how player's agents feel about him. Player agents are probably some of the worst people in the world, so I wouldn't worry if they didn't like me.

I have a client that is an NHL agent and he's a really nice guy!

slim
04-20-2018, 02:02 PM
I have a client that is an NHL agent and he's a really nice guy!

That's not what he says about you!!

BroncoNut
04-20-2018, 02:29 PM
Which is great. Now Elway needs to show he can build a winner without a HOF QB in his prime coming available in free agency. I'm not saying he can't do it, but this is a big year for him to prove that he can.

in his prime? are you out of your tree?

BroncoWave
04-20-2018, 03:21 PM
in his prime? are you out of your tree?

He had the best season of his career here. So yeah, I'd say he was still in his prime. The tail end of it, but his prime nonetheless.

OrangeHoof
04-20-2018, 04:20 PM
Just tells me JFE has gotten over on some of these leeches and that's a good thing.

slim
04-20-2018, 04:22 PM
He had the best season of his career here. So yeah, I'd say he was still in his prime. The tail end of it, but his prime nonetheless.

I didn't know that prime had a tail end.

Northman
04-20-2018, 04:34 PM
I think the point is that since the departure of the great defensive FA's who came here because of Manning, and Manning himself, the team has been on a steady decline. And because Elway's drafts are pretty mixed, this is probably a job defining time for him.

It's a brutal job.

Yes, that is the point. A lot of people in the thread are looking back before Manning retired and not what has been going on since then.

Northman
04-20-2018, 04:35 PM

No, he is not but the butthurt is strong with some. :lol:

Cugel
04-20-2018, 06:56 PM

"Reliably yold by ME" with your usual idiot snark? Of all the intolerably lazy ******** you have to be the worst! Did you ever hear of Google? Like it's some suspicious mystery where I get the simplest information!

Broncos Team Web-site:
(http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/staff/Mike-Sullivan/a64ef11e-3839-4898-90c9-579fb16f9c19)
Mike Sullivan enters his sixth year with the Denver Broncos in 2017 as the organization’s director of football administration. After spending more than 25 years negotiating contracts as a player agent, he was hired by the Broncos on Feb. 15, 2012.

Sullivan’s responsibilities include directing the club’s negotiating and structuring of all player contracts as well as managing the Broncos’ salary cap and football budget."

Did you EVER bother to look up anything for yourself before you spout your usual nonsense?

slim
04-20-2018, 07:20 PM
Hi Cugel.

Simple Jaded
04-21-2018, 03:40 AM
"Reliably yold by ME" with your usual idiot snark? Of all the intolerably lazy ******** you have to be the worst! Did you ever hear of Google? Like it's some suspicious mystery where I get the simplest information!

Did you EVER bother to look up anything for yourself before you spout your usual nonsense?

Tl;dr

Simple Jaded
04-21-2018, 03:49 AM
maybe you should deal with problems on your side of the street instead of throwing rocks at our glass house. In fact, why don't you go fly a kite

It got pretty windy on Monday or Tuesday but usually there’s not enough wind to fly kites around these parts.

We got all kinds of rocks though and my side of the street is lit.

True story, I used to fly kites on fishing line, **** dude, we used to get them so high you couldn’t even see them anymore, and the line would never break ... cause it’s fishing line. Then we’d just cut the line instead of reeling them back in, because **** that.

Simple Jaded
04-21-2018, 03:55 AM
Here’s another free tip; if you’re into keeping your cheap kites what ya do is roll your kite string around a 2”x4” that’s about 12’ Long. Then you’re reeling it in at 1’ at a time instead of 1”.

You’re welcome.

Simple Jaded
04-21-2018, 04:08 AM
Nice sarcastic, dismissive post that totally misses the point people are making in this thread that without Manning, we might not be able to attract the kind of players to build our team into the one that won SB 50.

Elway said it himself at PFM’s retirement presser, it’s easy to recruit when you have PFM and that building at team without him will be a huge challenge.

BroncoJoe
04-21-2018, 08:29 AM
Here’s another free tip; if you’re into keeping your cheap kites what ya do is roll your kite string around a 2”x4” that’s about 12’ Long. Then you’re reeling it in at 1’ at a time instead of 1”.

You’re welcome.

I just used a fishing reel.

Simple Jaded
04-21-2018, 11:57 AM
I just used a fishing reel.

Sounds like a lot of work.

MNPatsFan
04-21-2018, 12:09 PM
The Colts GM is on the most trusted list and he's awful.Isn't the Colts GM in his first year? I thought the Colts GM was fired last year and Ballard was recently hired. If so, then how can you claim he is awful??:confused:

Yes, I just did some research and last season was his first season as the GM of the Colts, so I am curious as to what you are basing your statement on that he is a horrible GM?

Poet
04-21-2018, 01:34 PM
Isn't the Colts GM in his first year? I thought the Colts GM was fired last year and Ballard was recently hired. If so, then how can you claim he is awful??:confused:

Yes, I just did some research and last season was his first season as the GM of the Colts, so I am curious as to what you are basing your statement on that he is a horrible GM?

I thought it was the same GM. I apologize for my sin.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-21-2018, 02:13 PM
How John Elway became a great GM for Denver Broncos

https://www.all22.com/denver-broncos/how-john-elway-became-a-great-gm-for-denver-broncos

Freyaka
04-21-2018, 05:34 PM

Ya'll want to get a room for your pissing contest?

Simple Jaded
04-21-2018, 07:38 PM
#IgnoreButton

Cugel
04-24-2018, 03:56 AM
Elway wants to claim that they will get more out of last year's draft class this year since they had about zero impact. We'll see about that.

chazoe60
04-24-2018, 09:37 AM
Statistical analysis ranks us as the 30th best drafting team over the last 5 years, out of 32.

Sorry JFE GM apologists, we suck at drafting.

Freyaka
04-24-2018, 09:42 AM
Statistical analysis ranks us as the 30th best drafting team over the last 5 years, out of 32.

I don't think there are too many, even amongst those who support Elway who would argue that we draft well... We suck at drafting. Elway lives and breathes in FA and we haven't been able to attract or pay many free agents now that Manning's retired.

This is a crucial year for Elway to have a solid draft. He needs at least some of these players to pan out.

Hawgdriver
04-24-2018, 09:51 AM

I wonder how much of Elway's 2011 draft was Xanders. Rams (Xanders is senior personnel exec) have been the #4 team in those rankings.

CoachChaz
04-24-2018, 09:58 AM
I don't think there are too many, even amongst those who support Elway who would argue that we draft well... We suck at drafting. Elway lives and breathes in FA and we haven't been able to attract or pay many free agents now that Manning's retired.

This is a crucial year for Elway to have a solid draft. He needs at least some of these players to pan out.

He also needs some of the last two year's drafts to pan out as well. One good class won't fix the long term problems.

Cugel
04-25-2018, 05:26 PM

That is why he brought Kubiak back in and now Matt Russell will advise strictly regarding defensive players. Kubiak is supposed to help coordinate the evaluation of offensive talent after the repeated fiascos of drafting offensive talent the last few years.

Cugel
04-25-2018, 05:33 PM
He also needs some of the last two year's drafts to pan out as well. One good class won't fix the long term problems.

He just said that at his press conference. They expect that some of last year's draft picks "will play a bigger role this year". THey chiefly mean DeMarcus Walker who was moved around - told to lose weight, then didn't have any impact at all as a 2nd round pick. He gained the weight back and is going to be a DE which they need.

That and Jake Butt didn't play at all. So, they have 2 highly touted players who should have an impact of some sort this season who had lost years last year and made the draft look so bad. (2nd round and 5th round picks doing essentially nothing).

Add in a year's experience for Garrett Bolles and their entire 2017 draft class should look a lot better this year. They certainly better hope so anyway.