PDA

View Full Version : We almost traded CJ

DenBronx
04-10-2018, 12:47 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2769693-broncos-trade-rumors-cj-anderson-for-jawuan-james-trade-nixed-by-dolphins

Looks like this trade almost happened. I am hoping we draft Barkley at #5 and somehow trade CJ. I like CJ alot but I think we need a back like Barkley to really open up the offense. We are anemic as an offense. I am scared of all of the QBs because I have seen so many promising QBs turn out to be busts.

At least with a RB it is harder to miss and Barkley seems like a surefire choice if the Browns don't take him. It wouldn't shock me if the Browns trade their #4 pick to someone that wants a QB. Barkely could be there if that happens.

I see more trades happening, even on or after the draft. CJ has been solid but if the team is shopping him then he isn't safe until training camp. What would we do if we traded CJ? We can't just depend on Booker.

MOtorboat
04-10-2018, 01:07 AM
OK.

Rick
04-10-2018, 07:47 AM
Wouldn't surprise me to see him dealt for a low pick.

Northman
04-10-2018, 07:52 AM
CJ isn't really worth a lot. Too inconsistent and spends a lot of time banged up.

Tned
04-10-2018, 07:54 AM
While I think Barkley will be impressive, if Nelson and Barkley are sitting there, I think Broncos will have a hard time picking Barkley. When you consider life expectancy of RB's and that even great running back struggle behind bad lines, I think getting a good to great line has to be the highest priority.

I think when you look at needs, combined with best player on the board, I think Nelson or even Chubb are better options to Barkley.

That said, Barkley would be exciting to watch and I would love to see the Broncos once again have a go to back that people have to game plan to stop.

broncofaninfla
04-10-2018, 09:30 AM
It wouldn't surprise me at all if Elway and company trade CJ during the draft, especially if they end up drafting a RB in the early rounds.

CoachChaz
04-10-2018, 10:50 AM
While I think Barkley will be impressive, if Nelson and Barkley are sitting there, I think Broncos will have a hard time picking Barkley. When you consider life expectancy of RB's and that even great running back struggle behind bad lines, I think getting a good to great line has to be the highest priority.

I think when you look at needs, combined with best player on the board, I think Nelson or even Chubb are better options to Barkley.

That said, Barkley would be exciting to watch and I would love to see the Broncos once again have a go to back that people have to game plan to stop.

Agreed...until he blows an ACL in a pre-season game. Which would be our luck.

DenBronx
04-10-2018, 11:29 AM
It wouldn't surprise me at all if Elway and company trade CJ during the draft, especially if they end up drafting a RB in the early rounds.

Question is to who though? Looks like Miami pulled the plug on this deal not Denver. I think Denver trades CJ away for almost nothing just to dump his salary depending if Barkley is there at 5 or not.

OrangeHoof
04-10-2018, 12:38 PM
Not that it is always a fair barometer, I had the choice of Nelson or Chubb in my Fanspeak draft today and chose Nelson.

Then I traded down in the second to get an extra third, still finding the top 3 RBs after Barkley and Guise still on the board - Michel, Chubb and Kerryon Johnson. I took Michel.

With three thirds, I took TE Dallas Goedert, OT Jamarco Jones and WR Michael Gallup.

I grabbed WR Marcel Ateman and three defensive players with the remaining picks and felt very pleased at restocking the offense and added a few pieces for the back 7.

Northman
04-10-2018, 01:16 PM
Not that it is always a fair barometer, I had the choice of Nelson or Chubb in my Fanspeak draft today and chose Nelson.

Then I traded down in the second to get an extra third, still finding the top 3 RBs after Barkley and Guise still on the board - Michel, Chubb and Kerryon Johnson. I took Michel.

With three thirds, I took TE Dallas Goedert, OT Jamarco Jones and WR Michael Gallup.

I grabbed WR Marcel Ateman and three defensive players with the remaining picks and felt very pleased at restocking the offense and added a few pieces for the back 7.

I would be more than than ecstatic with michel.

dogfish
04-10-2018, 02:18 PM

i would prefer nelson or chubb. . . i don't think our FO agrees, though-- i think they want barkley. . . with picks like bolles and booker, we've seen that longevity isn't a priority for us. . . hell, john reportedly wanted brandon weeden. . . i don't think we take much of a long view-- win now and from now on is their philosophy. . . barkley might make the most immediate impact, and i suspect we value that more than getting extra years out of a pick. . . JMO. . . i think there's a very good chance we end up with saquon, though. . .

Freyaka
04-10-2018, 02:34 PM

I mean the signs have been strongly pointing towards it all offseason

Simple Jaded
04-13-2018, 12:25 AM
If Kubiak has Elway’s ear to any extent whatsoever there is zero chance the Broncos draft Barkley ... ya know ... on the count of the fact that he’s not the type of talentless scrub that has over-populated Kubiak’s offenses since forever.

Justin Forsett > Saquan Barkley.

Magnificent Seven
04-13-2018, 01:10 AM
I hope they don't draft USC's QB Darnold. All USC QBs were busted!

Mark Sanchez: Busted

Matt Leinart: Busted

Matt Barkley: Busted

Carson Palmer: Meh...

dogfish
04-13-2018, 01:58 AM
If Kubiak has Elway’s ear to any extent whatsoever there is zero chance the Broncos draft Barkley ... ya know ... on the count of the fact that he’s not the type of talentless scrub that has over-populated Kubiak’s offenses since forever.

Justin Forsett > Saquan Barkley.

if that's what they want, booker is already here, ready and able to grind out 3.6 YPC. . .

i kinda suspect that barkley is the top name on their board. . . they already got your kubiak no-talent fall guy, he's gonna play quarterback. . . but even they know their new jake plummer still needs a running game. . .

MOtorboat
04-13-2018, 02:00 AM

Ugh. Past quarterback performance from any college does not equal future performance from quarterbacks from said college. If any NFL management team is drafting or not drafting based off of that criteria they should be immediately fired for cause.

Cugel
04-13-2018, 05:46 AM
The problem will be if the Broncos (who coached the Senior Bowl and had the opportunity to intensely coach and look at Allen & Mayfield), don't really love any of them and yet Barkley and Chubb are gone at #5 (the Giants and Browns take them).

Then what? Draft Rosen even if you don't really trust him? Take Nelson even though he's a guard? Take a defensive player even though your offense is devoid of talent?

Simple Jaded
04-13-2018, 11:32 PM
Rosen or Nelson, both are Top 5 players in this draft.

“ even if you don’t really trust him “ is your narrative.

Simple Jaded
04-13-2018, 11:35 PM
if that's what they want, booker is already here, ready and able to grind out 3.6 YPC. . .

i kinda suspect that barkley is the top name on their board. . . they already got your kubiak no-talent fall guy, he's gonna play quarterback. . . but even they know their new jake plummer still needs a running game. . .

Did you just throw shade at Jake Plummer?

Simple Jaded
04-13-2018, 11:36 PM
Darnold would make a nice consolation prize for Rosen/Allen.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-14-2018, 11:14 AM

Carson Palmer had an incredible career. Ya may wanna delete that part

SmilinAssasSin27
04-14-2018, 11:15 AM
The problem will be if the Broncos (who coached the Senior Bowl and had the opportunity to intensely coach and look at Allen & Mayfield), don't really love any of them and yet Barkley and Chubb are gone at #5 (the Giants and Browns take them).

Then what? Draft Rosen even if you don't really trust him? Take Nelson even though he's a guard? Take a defensive player even though your offense is devoid of talent?

Definitely the Nelson thing.

Poet
04-14-2018, 12:14 PM
I'm trying to get excited about a non-quarterback.

Nomad
04-14-2018, 12:15 PM

I'm trying to get excited about drafting an average QB at #5.

Poet
04-14-2018, 12:21 PM
I'm trying to get excited about drafting an average QB at #5.

You love average QB's.

Nomad
04-14-2018, 12:28 PM
You love average QB's.

We'll see if Elway loves him an average QB.

Poet
04-14-2018, 12:31 PM
We'll see if Elway loves him an average QB.

If the front office really thinks the QB/s on the board are average, then I hope they don't take them. But, I also hope that the front office has improved between drafts.

Nomad
04-14-2018, 12:32 PM
If the front office really thinks the QB/s on the board are average, then I hope they don't take them. But, I also hope that the front office has improved between drafts.

I concur.

Poet
04-14-2018, 12:34 PM
I concur.

I would rather take Barkley over Nelson. I would rather take Chubb over Nelson. I would rather take Nelson over the CB's.

Nomad
04-14-2018, 12:36 PM
Nelson is a beast. CJ & CK will love him.

Poet
04-14-2018, 12:39 PM
Nelson is a beast.

Barkley looks like a monster and Chubb could be special. Nelson could be a god. I don't know, Nomad. I just think QB is the way the league lives and dies by. I think it should be hyperfocused upon, but mayhaps I focus with too much hyper. :D

DenBronx
04-14-2018, 02:33 PM
I concur.

I would rather take Barkley over Nelson. I would rather take Chubb over Nelson. I would rather take Nelson over the CB's.

Chubb is way better than Ray and Barrett but we tendered Barrett so next year he will most likely be gone if we don't do a deal now. I doubt we do that and Ray better step it up or I don't see is redoing he deal. In reality, even though we are solid at this position, it could look drastically different next offseason. So by getting Chubb now it would solidify that spot for a long time. Pair him with Miller and omg....that will be scary!

But....I still want Barkley. I believe he is going to be just as good as Fornette or even better. Barkley can do it all, even catch and is a better athlete. It would allow us to dump CJs contract too. Basically trade him away for nothing if we want. Tell Miami ok he's yours for whatever you are willing to give. That might make them change their mind bc there is definitely interest from them. I just believe we were asking too much originally.

The only other prospect I would want is Josh Allen. I know he stats are padded like Baker Mayfields, he not as pro ready as Rosen but he has the most upside out of all the QBs. He reminds me of Brett Favre. He could easily sit behind Keenum for a year, maybe two and I think we unleash the hound! I believe he is gone in the first 3 picks. Short term this isn't a good pick but long term this could set this franchise up for a very long time. We could possibly even trade Keenum if we wanted. I dont think we would be we could if we had thats the direction we wanted to take. You dont think there would be teams lined up to get him? I do.

Nelson would be good but I don't think his value is high as the other 3.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-14-2018, 03:10 PM

Barkley

Nomad
04-14-2018, 03:58 PM
Barkley looks like a monster and Chubb could be special. Nelson could be a god. I don't know, Nomad. I just think QB is the way the league lives and dies by. I think it should be hyperfocused upon, but mayhaps I focus with too much hyper. :D

I agree it is a hard choice. You do get hyped up, and go all 'Joel' on us. :D

Poet
04-14-2018, 04:41 PM
I agree it is a hard choice. You do get hyped up, and go all 'Joel' on us. :D

What if I told you that this is my troll account, and that I am really Joel?!?!?!?:eek:

Tned
04-14-2018, 04:42 PM

I don't think you are wrong, I think QB is important enough to hyperfocus on. If the Broncos believe a QB they are in a position to take can be special, a difference maker that can start for them for the next 10-15 years, I think they have to take him.

However, if it's a flyer or a QB that they think may struggle to make the transition to the NFL, then they should get one of the sure things and Chubb and Nelson, and very likely Barkley, are.

Poet
04-14-2018, 04:43 PM
I don't think you are wrong, I think QB is important enough to hyperfocus on. If the Broncos believe a QB they are in a position to take can be special, a difference maker that can start for them for the next 10-15 years, I think they have to take him.

However, if it's a flyer or a QB that they think may struggle to make the transition to the NFL, then they should get one of the sure things and Chubb and Nelson, and very likely Barkley, are.

What's your preference out of those three, and which QB would you want the most?

Nomad
04-14-2018, 04:45 PM
What if I told you that this is my troll account, and that I am really Joel?!?!?!?:eek:

Twilight Zone.

Poet
04-14-2018, 04:46 PM
Twilight Zone.

Well, if I told you that, I'd be lying. But you probably appreciate me more, you sly devil!

Tned
04-14-2018, 04:53 PM
What's your preference out of those three, and which QB would you want the most?

I'll be honest, I'm completely undecided on the QBs. I think Allen is tempting, but also scary as he's a bit of a project. Darnold is probably the least likely to be a complete bust. Mayfield grades out amazingly according to multiple sources, but will that transition to the NFL? While I find Rosen's personality irritating, and hopefully that doesn't cause a problem on a team, he's a gifted thrower. Definitely above my pay grade or skill level to make a call here. I'm really not sure.

Of the other three, I would draft Nelson. The Broncos have been suffering with a horrid line for years, many years. Get a powerhouse line, and that will make your QB, whoever he is, better, as well as your running game. No more putting in a lineman at FB or putting in a sixth lineman to get the yard we need.

Chubb is tempting, because that should make Miller more productive, and while Barkley could be special, I'm not convinced it makes sense to draft a RB that high when you look at injuries and other factors.

So, for me, if they think a QB is special, pick him, otherwise, pick Nelson.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-14-2018, 04:59 PM
I feel the same way about the QBs. Today, I'm a slight Mayfield lean due to his playmaking ability and swag as a leader. The heigth doesn't bother me. But tomorrow I'll probably like Allen.

Nomad
04-14-2018, 05:02 PM
I love me some FB.

Tned
04-14-2018, 05:04 PM
I feel the same way about the QBs. Today, I'm a slight Mayfield lean due to his playmaking ability and swag as a leader. The heigth doesn't bother me. But tomorrow I'll probably like Allen.

It's really tough. Each of them have some aspects that you can get excited about, but I don't think any of them are Andrew Luck type sure things.

History tells us that it's likely that two or three of those four QBs are going to either be busts, or at best nothing more than journeyman type QBs.

Let's not forget how Leaf was considered the better prospect over P. Manning, and the Colts seriously considered Leaf. It's just really hard for scouts and GMs to evaluate how a QBs game will transition to the NFL.

Nomad
04-14-2018, 05:07 PM
It's really tough. Each of them have some aspects that you can get excited about, but I don't think any of them are Andrew Luck type sure things.

History tells us that it's likely that two or three of those four QBs are going to either be busts, or at best nothing more than journeyman type QBs.

Let's not forget how Leaf was considered the better prospect over P. Manning, and the Colts seriously considered Leaf. It's just really hard for scouts and GMs to evaluate how a QBs game will transition to the NFL.

Is Luck ever gonna play again? He stated his rehab/recovery isn't going as well as he hoped.

Tned
04-14-2018, 05:13 PM
Is Luck ever gonna play again? He stated his rehab/recovery isn't going as well as he hoped.

Good question. I think I read a couple weeks ago that it's not clear if he will be ready for the start of the season.

Here's a reason to consider the guard.

https://twitter.com/Broncos/status/985275511663464448

DenBronx
04-14-2018, 05:32 PM
Either way, we should get a damn good player at 5.

Nomad
04-14-2018, 05:35 PM
Is body slamming another player a personal foul? We may need to tell Nelson no body slamming. Nelson will be the 'hulk' of the Broncos.

Simple Jaded
04-14-2018, 05:40 PM
Is body slamming another player a personal foul? We may need to tell Nelson no body slamming. Nelson will be the 'hulk' of the Broncos.3vE3tlGWoRg

Simple Jaded
04-14-2018, 05:43 PM
I'll be honest, I'm completely undecided on the QBs. I think Allen is tempting, but also scary as he's a bit of a project. Darnold is probably the least likely to be a complete bust. Mayfield grades out amazingly according to multiple sources, but will that transition to the NFL? While I find Rosen's personality irritating, and hopefully that doesn't cause a problem on a team, he's a gifted thrower. Definitely above my pay grade or skill level to make a call here. I'm really not sure.

Of the other three, I would draft Nelson. The Broncos have been suffering with a horrid line for years, many years. Get a powerhouse line, and that will make your QB, whoever he is, better, as well as your running game. No more putting in a lineman at FB or putting in a sixth lineman to get the yard we need.

Chubb is tempting, because that should make Miller more productive, and while Barkley could be special, I'm not convinced it makes sense to draft a RB that high when you look at injuries and other factors.

So, for me, if they think a QB is special, pick him, otherwise, pick Nelson.

I wish they didn’t need a QB.

But ... wish in one hand and shit in the other.