PDA

View Full Version : If We Draft Saquon Barkley......

WARHORSE
04-03-2018, 01:19 AM
My thoughts are that there are a number of good backs in this draft and there always seems to be a stud found in the later rounds in each years draft. On that note, it makes me feel like taking a 'running back' at the top of the draft, etc etc etc....is not the best decision for our team.

But when you ask yourself.....if we had a chance to draft Marshall Faulk, Erik Dickerson, Terrell Davis, Barry Sanders, Bo Jackson, La Danian Tomlinson..........at number 5.........would you?

Take a look at Saquons college numbers as compared to these great backs and you'll find he is very impressive. Both in mental makeup....work ethic.....breakaway speed......receiving.......scoring............

The man stacks up.

So if we take him at 5 because someone traded up with Cleveland at 4 to get the fourth QB..........Im good.

I wasnt before.....but I am now.

Draft Oline etc at the top of round 2, 3,3, 4, 4, 5....etc. Case Keenum, a healthy Oline and a new stud WARHORSE in the backfield. Im good.

Who knows.....he could be one of those generational dudes that not only plays well.....but has a long career.

I think pretty much most of us have preferred Chubbs or Nelson or a QB....and I get the message. But Im ok with Barkley now.

You?

SoCalImport
04-03-2018, 01:43 AM
There are a handful of guys that I wouldn't be upset about drafting at #5 and Barkley is one.

WARHORSE
04-03-2018, 02:44 AM
There are a handful of guys that I wouldn't be upset about drafting at #5 and Barkley is one.

I can understand the position.

Northman
04-03-2018, 05:12 AM
it wouldnt bother me but i think with the RB class being so deep we should be addressing other needs at #5.

TXBRONC
04-03-2018, 06:36 AM
I have always supported the guys the Broncos have drafted. So if Barkley is the guy I'll supported wholeheartedly. That said, I think it is unlikely that Denver will draft him.

BroncoJoe
04-03-2018, 08:46 AM
If Cleveland is happy with all four of the top QB's in this draft, they could easily draft him #1.

Dat boy loves to jump!

Freyaka
04-03-2018, 09:00 AM
Barkley reminds me of an LT or AP. I'd absolutely love to see him here. Having a RB of his caliber here would also take some pressure off our QB situation. I'd be all for it if he falls to us at 5. I wouldn't trade up for him, but if he's there at our pick, absolutely.

Freyaka
04-03-2018, 09:01 AM
If Cleveland is happy with all four of the top QB's in this draft, they could easily draft him #1.

Dat boy loves to jump!

Peter King is saying his source within the team tells him they are taking Allen at #1. What I think is going to end up happening. The first 3 teams take a QB, Bills or Dolphins leapfrog us and take a QB at #4 and then we get our choice of Chubb, Barkley and Nelson. I think one of those three will be our pick (I'd prefer not nelson because I just don't like the idea of a guard at 5)

OrangeHoof
04-03-2018, 11:58 AM

That's where I am too. I do these Fanspeak mocks practically daily and I play out all types of scenarios. Usually I can take Nelson but occasionally I get a chance at Allen or Barkley and then adjust the rest of the draft. Decent OTs will be there in the second round. I think the top 3 guards will be gone and there's a steep drop off after them. I also look for a TE for those who think there is an urgent need.

Trading down makes sense if viewed in that fashion but then you miss out on Allen and Barkley. So I am okay with most of the options at #5 as long as they don't get weird on us and reach for someone that is truly not worthy of #5.

WARHORSE
04-03-2018, 12:03 PM
it wouldnt bother me but i think with the RB class being so deep we should be addressing other needs at #5.

I agree the RB class is deep and it would be my preferred decision as long as we hit on the RB and the #5 pick.

broncohead
04-03-2018, 04:13 PM
We have a ton of needs at other positions but taking the best player in the draft (imo) would be a great pick.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-03-2018, 04:32 PM
I would love Sony Michel or John Kelly.

Poet
04-03-2018, 06:48 PM
I could live with the pick. I don't value RB's highly, but there are some guys who are worth the pick.

Cugel
04-03-2018, 07:34 PM
Peter King is saying his source within the team tells him they are taking Allen at #1. What I think is going to end up happening. The first 3 teams take a QB, Bills or Dolphins leapfrog us and take a QB at #4 and then we get our choice of Chubb, Barkley and Nelson. I think one of those three will be our pick (I'd prefer not nelson because I just don't like the idea of a guard at 5)

Well, let's look at this:

#1 Cleveland cannot possibly pass on a QB AGAIN. Not after passing on Carson Wentz and DeShaun Watson and then winning 1 game in 2 seasons. They reportedly will take Darnold, but it could conceivably be Allen.

#2 Giants supposedly want Darnold, but could take Chubb to replace JPP whom they just got rid of. But, if you were the Giants GM and knew that Eli Manning is running on fumes at this point, would you pass at a QB at #2? I just can't believe they will do it. IF Darnold is gone, they have to take Allen.

#3 Jets moved up to get Baker Mayfield ahead of the Broncos. No way he's getting past #3.

If the top 3 QBs are off the boards at #3 then Cleveland has no trade partner at #4 unless some team wants Josh Rosen, and he's sliding down the boards.

My guess is that he slides right out of the top 10 on concerns about injury, durability, size, maturity and general personality and leadership skills. The slightest flaws get magnified when people are considering a top 5 pick.

For some reason every report I hear about Rosen is some negative thing. So, I think he slides right past the Broncos at #5 and nobody wants to trade up for him.

That means Cleveland takes Barkley at #4, leaving Nelson or Chubb for the Broncos at #5.

It appears that either Allen or Mayfield is the QB Elway likes and neither of them will be there at #5.

If the Giants take Chubb at #2 that leaves either Allen or Mayfield at #4, but the Bills, Dolphins and Cardinals all want a QB and could move up to #4 for one, if the Browns are willing to trade down.

If they love the idea of getting Barkley, they won't do it though.

So, in that one scenario: Giants pass on a QB and take Chubb, while the Browns take Barkley at #4, Allen is on the board at #5 for the Broncos. But, that presumes the Giants are really that dumb not to take a QB at #2 or trade with a team that will take one there.

Cugel
04-03-2018, 07:38 PM
Barkley makes amazing plays. He's able to change direction without slowing down a bit, wrong footing defenders and making big plays. He's a great pass receiver. He's the most complete back in over a decade, a potential Hall of Fame player. If Denver has a chance to draft him, they will have to do it.

But, it's not likely he'll be on the board at #5.

Simple Jaded
04-03-2018, 08:05 PM
If the RB class is so deep take 2, dump CJ Anderson and quit pretending that Booker was ever a 2nd round talent.

Timmy!
04-03-2018, 10:10 PM
Other than Nelson, this would be ideal.

Poet
04-03-2018, 10:13 PM
If the RB class is so deep take 2, dump CJ Anderson and quit pretending that Booker was ever a 2nd round talent.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2018/2/14/17013768/report-broncos-seem-intent-on-giving-devontae-booker-the-starting-running-back-job

HORSEPOWER 56
04-04-2018, 12:45 AM
I predict that Barkley will not be the best RB in this draft class.

Elevation inc
04-04-2018, 05:44 AM
Dumping CJ is dumb in favor of booker who lacks talent and is a bigger version of Ronnie Hillman. I think Studes is gone because he wasn't a booker fan anymore, and loves him some CJ. Pretty sure that's why he was dumped so that they can force feed booker who will show how awesome he is with is 3.6 YPC avg...Ugggghhhhhhh!

chazoe60
04-04-2018, 07:35 AM
Anybody else concerned that for all the talk of Barkley being this generational talent, future hall of famer as Cugel claims, his actual on the field production was mediocre at best. He only had 5 100 yd games last season. He never rushed for 1500 yards in a season. I just think it's funny that so many people claim it's a bad idea to draft a guard at 5 but drafting a RB who was 28th in the nation in rushing yards is a splendid idea. RBs have a short shelf life while a guard could last 10-15 years.

I'd rather have Nelson and Sony Michel than Barkley and Wynn, but that's just me.

TXBRONC
04-04-2018, 08:12 AM
Anybody else concerned that for all the talk of Barkley being this generational talent, future hall of famer as Cugel claims, his actual on the field production was mediocre at best. He only had 5 100 yd games last season. He never rushed for 1500 yards in a season. I just think it's funny that so many people claim it's a bad idea to draft a guard at 5 but drafting a RB who was 28th in the nation in rushing yards is a splendid idea. RBs have a short shelf life while a guard could last 10-15 years.

I'd rather have Nelson and Sony Michel than Barkley and Wynn, but that's just me.

Nelson is only one I've read being called once in a type generation player. That said, I wouldn't knock Barkley for not hitting 1,500 rushing, in 9 of 12 regular season games he had 17 or fewer carries, couple that most of those games being blowouts wins it looks like he was being pulled early from games. If this draft was bereft of running back talent that could change things but apparently this draft is deep at running back so passing on Barkley isn't killer. I personally like Nick Chubb from UGA. He's not flashy but the number are consistent.

Freyaka
04-04-2018, 08:59 AM

He's averaging about 5.9 YPC. His problem wasn't effectiveness, it was what TXBronc touched on. He only had 217 carries on the year because they were pulling him early due to big leads. If he had 50 more carries, he'd have easily gone over 1500 this year, he was 4 yards away from it last year. It's borderline nitpicky to say "he hasn't rushed for over 1500 yards" when he came within one carry of hitting that mark. It's technically true, but it's 4 freaking yards...

If we don't go Barkley, I'd be alright with grabbing Penny in the second or third round.

Krugan
04-04-2018, 09:01 AM
That we made a poor choice at #5....

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-04-2018, 09:05 AM

I think Booker is good to have in the rotation, but I’m getting tired of the coaching staff giving us a sales pitch. I’ve never seen him show he can be as productive as CJ. CJ is a complete back.

chazoe60
04-04-2018, 09:23 AM
He's averaging about 5.9 YPC. His problem wasn't effectiveness, it was what TXBronc touched on. He only had 217 carries on the year because they were pulling him early due to big leads. If he had 50 more carries, he'd have easily gone over 1500 this year, he was 4 yards away from it last year. It's borderline nitpicky to say "he hasn't rushed for over 1500 yards" when he came within one carry of hitting that mark. It's technically true, but it's 4 freaking yards...

If we don't go Barkley, I'd be alright with grabbing Penny in the second or third round.

Sony Michel averaged 7.9 yards per carry.

Joel Klatt just gave some stats on 104.3 the fan and pointed out that Barkley gained a total of 6 yards against ranked teams in the 4th quarter last season. Ouch!

Freyaka
04-04-2018, 09:34 AM

Joel Klatt just gave some stats on 104.3 the fan and pointed out that Barkley gained a total of 6 yards against ranked teams in the 4th quarter last season. Ouch!

Again, how many carries did he have in the 4th quarter of those games? If his team was blowing them out and he didn't get carries, that can't be held against him. He only had two games last year with over 20 carries. It is outside of his control how many carries they use him on since he does not call the plays. Stats can be stacked to support your argument if you omit information like that. (not saying you are intentionally doing that, just pointing it out that you've gotta look at the whole picture) I'm not saying I wouldn't take Michel either, I like Barkley best because I think he is a beast and very, very quick for the way he's built. I can see an argument for either running back, I just have my personal preferences.

Hawgdriver
04-04-2018, 09:44 AM

What Klatt said squares precisely with his film.

He is a generational talent. He's a special player. He's a 230 pound C-Mac. If he's used the right way, he should be an LT type player. But he's not Todd Gurley and he's not Zeke and not Fournette.

Cugel
04-04-2018, 11:03 AM
Dumping CJ is dumb in favor of booker who lacks talent and is a bigger version of Ronnie Hillman. I think Studes is gone because he wasn't a booker fan anymore, and loves him some CJ. Pretty sure that's why he was dumped so that they can force feed booker who will show how awesome he is with is 3.6 YPC avg...Ugggghhhhhhh!

CJ certainly seems to think so, with the negative way he responded to Studesville's firing with a public outburst.

But it does not appear the Broncos intend to keep CJ from the lukewarm way Elway talks about him, while insisting vehemently that Paxton Lynch will be on the roster or that the team is keeping DT and Sanders for instance. Very different tone.

Cugel
04-04-2018, 11:09 AM
What Klatt said squares precisely with his film.

He is a generational talent. He's a special player. He's a 230 pound C-Mac. If he's used the right way, he should be an LT type player. But he's not Todd Gurley and he's not Zeke and not Fournette.

This.

But, that fits in with what the Broncos want. They loved Christian McCaffrey last year and were scheming how to get up to #12 if he were still on the board there. So, if Barkley is available at #5 and you think he could be another matchup nightmare like McCaffrey, another Edgerrin James perhaps, then the fact that he's not Leonard Fournette is not a problem.

So what if he's not a 25-30 carries a game dude?

They want to utilize him by putting him in space and creating mismatch nightmares for defenders.

He's too big and strong for a CB for most safeties, and too fast for LBs.

Sure there are RBs who might be available in the 2nd round, but nothing like him. Was Christian McCaffrey worthy of the 8th pick of the draft last year? He had only 435 yards rushing and 2 TDs. But, he also had 80 receptions in his rookie year.

If Barkley has that kind of season? He'll be rookie of the year.

Cugel
04-04-2018, 11:17 AM

Depends on how they want to use him. As I pointed out, if they envision him as a Christian McCaffrey type player and they loved McCaffrey, and you could get 80-100 pass receptions a year from him, then obviously he's worthy of that #5 pick.

I would personally take Nelson because that OL desperately needs an attitude makeover if they are ever to be successful, and he brings elite talent and nasty on every play. But, Barkley is valuable too. The Broncos are severely lacking in offensive weapons and he's a real weapon.

underrated29
04-04-2018, 11:21 AM
I love Soney. He is a Clinton Portis clone. He is the RB I want us to get so so badly. Sadly, it looks like we intend to go ILB in the second round. Hopefully, we take that Fred Werder guy at the top of the 3rd instead and grab Soney with our 2nd.

Nick Chubb is awesome too, I love him. He reminds me of Jamal Lewis.
Penny is a stud as well, he reminds me of MJD (so does our henderson)
Geuce is a damn Buffalo! That guy is a not quite as fast Fornette

All of those above will be EXCELLENT players in the NFL.

Kalen ballage is a could be- he reminds me of the guy that played in buffalo but I foget his name. I see a latavious Murray in him (meaning he has all the physical tools but sucks)

There are still a have dozen other RBs in this draft that I like a lot. Such a deep class this year. My money is on Soney being best of the bunch. He just looks and reminds me so much of Portis.

dogfish
04-04-2018, 01:39 PM
Sadly, it looks like we intend to go ILB in the second round.

what makes you say that?

underrated29
04-04-2018, 02:04 PM
what makes you say that?

Two things doggydogfish:

1. VJ said it in an interview not too long ago. I do not remember the exact quote but it was something along the lines of: "We have these players blah blah and new position coaches blah blah, we are excited for him to work there and to work potentially with a (ILB) that early in the draft, that is exciting!"......Something like that.

2. One of the media people that Chris works with also said that we look to take one early.

Now who knows who that is, what player or what round. Someone may fall or someone may take the guy we want but it sure seems like they want one and want one early.

Cugel
04-04-2018, 02:35 PM
Two things doggydogfish:

1. VJ said it in an interview not too long ago. I do not remember the exact quote but it was something along the lines of: "We have these players blah blah and new position coaches blah blah, we are excited for him to work there and to work potentially with a (ILB) that early in the draft, that is exciting!"......Something like that.

2. One of the media people that Chris works with also said that we look to take one early.

Now who knows who that is, what player or what round. Someone may fall or someone may take the guy we want but it sure seems like they want one and want one early.

They wanted a guy who could play ILB and cover TEs on 3rd down, which Todd Davis cannot, he's just a 2 down guy, but they just traded for S'ua Cravens who can do just that.

Perhaps they would take a LB in the 2nd round, but only if that guy was at the top of their boards. They have much bigger needs at Rb, WR, TE, RT, G, CB and DT/DE, not to mention QB.

If they don't draft a QB in the first round they might look at one in the second to bring in behind Keenum and groom for a season or two. Lamar Jackson, Mason Rudolph, and Luke Falk are the leading candidates there.

Simple Jaded
04-04-2018, 04:57 PM
I love Soney. He is a Clinton Portis clone. He is the RB I want us to get so so badly. Sadly, it looks like we intend to go ILB in the second round. Hopefully, we take that Fred Werder guy at the top of the 3rd instead and grab Soney with our 2nd.

Nick Chubb is awesome too, I love him. He reminds me of Jamal Lewis.
Penny is a stud as well, he reminds me of MJD (so does our henderson)
Geuce is a damn Buffalo! That guy is a not quite as fast Fornette

All of those above will be EXCELLENT players in the NFL.

Kalen ballage is a could be- he reminds me of the guy that played in buffalo but I foget his name. I see a latavious Murray in him (meaning he has all the physical tools but sucks)

There are still a have dozen other RBs in this draft that I like a lot. Such a deep class this year. My money is on Soney being best of the bunch. He just looks and reminds me so much of Portis.
Fred Jackson?

TXBRONC
04-06-2018, 09:37 AM

It does not appear that Klatt was digging very deep. A guy whose getting something on the average of 15 carries a game isn't more than like very deep into the second half.

I'm not sure what point is with Michel, he was number two back behind Nick Chubb who btw had 6.0 ypc. UGA also had 670 rushing attempts for the season. Chubb was the workhorse in that backfield.

I went back looked at the box scores and Michel's 7.9 has a lot to do with number having fewer carries and a couple of runs in the 70 yard range. Don't get wrong, I'm not going to complain if we draft Chubb or Michel for that matter. But I'm not going to hold it against Barkley because coaches were having him sit the second half of games. All three of backs that we've talked about are averaging nowhere near 20 carries game. Michal averaged the least with 10 carries per game. Barkley had the highest average but, he also played in two fewer games than Chubb and Michel who played in 15 games.

nevcraw
04-06-2018, 06:15 PM
If we could end up with either Barkley or Michel or Chubb(rb) I would Be pumped!!!

Simple Jaded
04-06-2018, 07:36 PM

No, I mean, basically, dump them both.

dogfish
04-06-2018, 11:03 PM
1. browns - sam darnold
2. giants - bradley chubb
3. jets - josh rosen
4. bills - josh allen
5. broncos - saquon barkley

#Dogstradamus
#YouHeardItHereFirst
#It'sScience
#MarkIt8Dude

Elevation inc
04-09-2018, 02:07 AM
No, I mean, basically, dump them both.

Ahhh Fair enough lol. I like CJ though :sad: Lol

CrazyHorse
04-13-2018, 11:18 PM
I would be very happy with this. Then the Broncos get Lamar Jackson and run an option offense that terrorizes the NFL.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-13-2018, 11:25 PM
I would be very happy with this. Then the Broncos get Lamar Jackson and run an option offense that terrorizes the NFL.
I would actually LOVE that. We could give Jackson some time to work on his mechanics. I see Keenum as place holder

Simple Jaded
04-13-2018, 11:30 PM
Jackson wants to be a QB, what’s the difference between drafting him to play WR and drafting him to run option?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-13-2018, 11:34 PM
Jackson wants to be a QB, what’s the difference between drafting him to play WR and drafting him to run option?

Well, I wasn’t exactly loving that part of it, as I inferred.

CrazyHorse
04-13-2018, 11:52 PM
I would actually LOVE that. We could give Jackson some time to work on his mechanics. I see Keenum as place holder

Transitioning to a pro style offense would be part of the plan. It's exactly what Shanahan tried to do with RGIII. It was working until Griffin decided he wanted to ditch that offense and try to be just a pocket passer for fear of getting hurt again. Seriously though running an offense with options, play action, and bootlegs with the two most explosive players at their position in the draft would be hard for any team to defend. The difference between a project like Jackson and Lynch is that Jackson could get on the field sooner and play scheming around his talent while getting game time experience and not sitting and "learning" on the bench.

Simple Jaded
04-14-2018, 12:22 AM
Well, I wasn’t exactly loving that part of it, as I inferred.

Jackson may have accuracy issues but was prepared by a Pro Style HC with actual NFL experience. Conversely, Jackson was a huge departure from QB’s Patrino has traditionally preferred and Patrino never delivered on his stated promise to develop Jackson with more pro schemes in ‘17. It’s fair to wonder if they tried and failed.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-14-2018, 01:06 AM
Jackson may have accuracy issues but was prepared by a Pro Style HC with actual NFL experience. Conversely, Jackson was a huge departure from QB’s Patrino has traditionally preferred and Patrino never delivered on his stated promise to develop Jackson with more pro schemes in ‘17. It’s fair to wonder if they tried and failed.

Part of me wants to believe he’s the next Watson, but I don’t see the it factor Watson has. Watson seems to get better against tough competition, and as games progress things slow down for him. I think he might be an mvp candidate in a year or two because the game will slow down for him.

7alpha30
04-14-2018, 07:14 AM
My thoughts are that there are a number of good backs in this draft and there always seems to be a stud found in the later rounds in each years draft. On that note, it makes me feel like taking a 'running back' at the top of the draft, etc etc etc....is not the best decision for our team.

But when you ask yourself.....if we had a chance to draft Marshall Faulk, Erik Dickerson, Terrell Davis, Barry Sanders, Bo Jackson, La Danian Tomlinson..........at number 5.........would you?

Take a look at Saquons college numbers as compared to these great backs and you'll find he is very impressive. Both in mental makeup....work ethic.....breakaway speed......receiving.......scoring............

The man stacks up.

So if we take him at 5 because someone traded up with Cleveland at 4 to get the fourth QB..........Im good.

I wasnt before.....but I am now.

Draft Oline etc at the top of round 2, 3,3, 4, 4, 5....etc. Case Keenum, a healthy Oline and a new stud WARHORSE in the backfield. Im good.

Who knows.....he could be one of those generational dudes that not only plays well.....but has a long career.

I think pretty much most of us have preferred Chubbs or Nelson or a QB....and I get the message. But Im ok with Barkley now.

You?

Barkley is my biggest preference. I also like Chubb and Nelson.

Poet
04-14-2018, 12:11 PM
How many touches a game can Barkley handle?

SmilinAssasSin27
04-14-2018, 12:17 PM
He's had games where he got the ball plenty. His rush totals can be deceiving as he also returned kicks and caught a lot of balls.

Poet
04-14-2018, 12:22 PM
So the whole knock on him being a 15 attempt a game guy is unwarranted?

SmilinAssasSin27
04-14-2018, 12:47 PM
14 touches vs Georgia State
40 touches vs Iowa and got stronger as game went on
And a very inconsistent playcaller throughout the season

No injury concerns. His ability to take a hit or a heavy workload is the last concern I'd have with him.

Poet
04-14-2018, 12:48 PM
14 touches vs Georgia State
40 touches vs Iowa and got stronger as game went on
And a very inconsistent playcaller throughout the season

No injury concerns. His ability to take a hit or a heavy workload is the last concern I'd have with him.

Von Kinger Rides with Barkley.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-14-2018, 12:52 PM
The only concern that MAY be legitimate is his propensity to bounce outside. But I'll take the wait and see approach since PSU line was so bad.

The Ohio State game is perfect example. He was hit at the handoff on at least 3 carries.

After watching him for his whole career I see him as more of that guy who huddled an Iowa defender and then broke a tackle midair.

CrazyHorse
04-16-2018, 12:14 AM
So the whole knock on him being a 15 attempt a game guy is unwarranted?

It's not that he can't, it's just there wasn't always a need too. Why use your best player when you're blowing out your opponent.

The only concern that MAY be legitimate is his propensity to bounce outside. But I'll take the wait and see approach since PSU line was so bad.

The Ohio State game is perfect example. He was hit at the handoff on at least 3 carries.

After watching him for his whole career I see him as more of that guy who huddled an Iowa defender and then broke a tackle midair.

Barry Sanders had the same issue in the NFL. Barkley is bigger and Stronger. It's not that he can't run inside he just has a tendency not to sometimes. If that's the only criticism he has though that's pretty good. The other factor is RB's aren't valued highly. I think if you could get 8 solid years out of him(when he turns 30) that would be worth it. I mean in hindsight wouldn't you still draft Terrell Davis knowing he's only going to give 5 great years of solid production?

Simple Jaded
04-16-2018, 01:05 AM
I’d worry more if he had more touches.

Hawgdriver
04-16-2018, 01:07 AM
Wait. So he runs to contact now?

HORSEPOWER 56
04-16-2018, 03:39 AM
The only reservation I have about Barkley at the moment is value. I think there’s much less drop off between Barkley at #5 and one of the other stud RBs in this draft we could get in round 2 or later than say Chubb and a pass rusher we could get in round 2 or later.

Barkley appears to be a stud, but is he that much better than Michel, Guise, N. Chubb, etc? I don’t know.

WARHORSE
04-16-2018, 05:41 AM
The only reservation I have about Barkley at the moment is value. I think there’s much less drop off between Barkley at #5 and one of the other stud RBs in this draft we could get in round 2 or later than say Chubb and a pass rusher we could get in round 2 or later.

Barkley appears to be a stud, but is he that much better than Michel, Guise, N. Chubb, etc? I don’t know.

A valid point but no one will really know the value until their career is over.

He could be an Emmit Smith when it comes to durability.

He could be Dickerson.

LaDanian.

Or he could be Terrell.

Or worse.

We don't know and the same can be said about every player being drafted.

If we draft him, I'll be happy as long as he turns out to be the next Terrell Davis with Emmitt durability.

dogfish
04-16-2018, 12:02 PM

good point, horse. . . the biggest drop-off is probably between nelson and the rest of the guards, so we should just nab him while we've got the chance. . . :heh:

topscribe
04-16-2018, 12:21 PM
Elway was talking about how it amuses him that others seem to have an idea whom the
Broncos are going to select when even he doesn't know yet . . .

topscribe
04-16-2018, 12:32 PM

This goes along with my thoughts. Barkley is a notch above those other RBs, true. But the
name of the game is championships. How many Super Bowls did AP and LT bring their teams?
TD helped the Broncos to that end, but they also had Elway.

My ideal scenario (subject to change at any moment) is for the Broncos to trade down, if they
can, and get two later 1st round choices rather than one early one (and maybe another 2nd).
One superstar is not going to get them there. Otherwise, Von would have them there every
year. Filling holes with solid players is more beneficial, and more early draft choices will aid in
that cause.

Personally, I'll be okay with Barkley, but other options will make me happier. But then, what
do I know?

Buff
04-16-2018, 12:38 PM
I don't see the Giants drafting a QB. I think they take Chubb or Barkley - and then Cleveland will scoop up whichever guy the Giants pass over.

In that scenario it's either Nelson or one of the QBs for us. Hopefully not the Ohio State DB, who apparently Elway likes.

topscribe
04-16-2018, 12:58 PM
I don't see the Giants drafting a QB. I think they take Chubb or Barkley - and then Cleveland will scoop up whichever guy the Giants pass over.

In that scenario it's either Nelson or one of the QBs for us. Hopefully not the Ohio State DB, who apparently Elway likes.
I really like Ward. What bothers me about him, however, is this 5'10" height. How would he
do against the taller receivers in the league?--There are more of them all the time. We
already have CHJ, who is a beast at CB, but they always put Talib against the taller ones.
With Ward, the Broncos would have two shorter CBs, and Roby, at 5'11", isn't much
taller. I wouldn't be entirely happy with the selection of Ward at #5.

7alpha30
04-16-2018, 01:08 PM

Barkley's significantly more talented than a those guys both as a runner and catching passes.

7alpha30
04-16-2018, 01:09 PM
I really like Ward. What bothers me about him, however, is this 5'10" height. How would he
do against the taller receivers in the league?--There are more of them all the time. We
already have CHJ, who is a beast at CB, but they always put Talib against the taller ones.
With Ward, the Broncos would have two shorter CBs, and Roby, at 5'11", isn't much
taller. I wouldn't be entirely happy with the selection of Ward at #5.

Do you believe Ward is really that much better than Alexander or Oliver, if at all?

CoachChaz
04-16-2018, 01:11 PM
Barkley's significantly more talented than a those guys both as a runner and catching passes.

I would say that given the same amount of starter play time in the same conference, Guice would give Barkley a run for his money.

7alpha30
04-16-2018, 01:21 PM
I would say that given the same amount of starter play time in the same conference, Guice would give Barkley a run for his money.

Guice runs with better play discipline but he has that luxury running behind a better offensive line. I never see Guice and say "Barkley can't do that." That doesn't reciprocate when I see what Barkley's capable of.

CoachChaz
04-16-2018, 01:37 PM
Guice runs with better play discipline but he has that luxury running behind a better offensive line. I never see Guice and say "Barkley can't do that." That doesn't reciprocate when I see what Barkley's capable of.

Fair points. I just like Guice's consistency and...not that Barkley is a bad guy...but I love Guice's personality. My biggest concern with Barkley is all the games with 200 yards on 22 carries, but two runs went for 90 and 65 yards and the other 20 went for 45 total.

G_Money
04-16-2018, 01:52 PM
I remember watching Knowshon Moreno in college and thinking he would be a very good back without taking into account how big the running lanes were and how far he would get before anyone would touch him. I pay more attention to what guys do in traffic, after contact, and in 3rd-and-short situations now. I have some questions about Penny in that regard (especially considering the lack of size and tackling prowess in his conference anyway).

Guice keeps moving after contact, and Denver wouldn't need the 5th pick to draft him, which are two good things.

Nomad
04-16-2018, 02:02 PM
Last year, LSU's offensive line had quite a few injuries during the year, but Guice remained consistent and making plays.

topscribe
04-16-2018, 02:05 PM
Do you believe Ward is really that much better than Alexander or Oliver, if at all?
You know, I'm not that informed on DBs. I like what Andrew Mason has said about them.
I have high respect for his insight and analyses. But that's about as far as I go in that.

Nomad
04-16-2018, 02:08 PM
I remember watching Knowshon Moreno in college and thinking he would be a very good back without taking into account how big the running lanes were and how far he would get before anyone would touch him. I pay more attention to what guys do in traffic, after contact, and in 3rd-and-short situations now. I have some questions about Penny in that regard (especially considering the lack of size and tackling prowess in his conference anyway).

Guice keeps moving after contact, and Denver wouldn't need the 5th pick to draft him, which are two good things.

Guice is very good after contact. S. Carolina game comes to mind.

topscribe
04-16-2018, 02:08 PM

Hmmm . . . maybe you should have a serious talk with the Broncos' FO . . .

Canmore
04-16-2018, 03:44 PM
Fair points. I just like Guice's consistency and...not that Barkley is a bad guy...but I love Guice's personality. My biggest concern with Barkley is all the games with 200 yards on 22 carries, but two runs went for 90 and 65 yards and the other 20 went for 45 total.

Sounds like Barry Sanders.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-16-2018, 04:46 PM
PSU oline=epic bad

Had 1 recruiting cycle without an OL to speak of during the dark times.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-16-2018, 04:50 PM

As would Michel. Don't sleep on the guy overshadowed by Chubb. I think he's this year's Kamara.

VonDoom
04-16-2018, 06:28 PM

Exactly my concern with Barkley as well. He’s electric in space but he’ll get far less of that in the NFL.

Simple Jaded
04-16-2018, 07:08 PM
I didn’t think the Broncos would be in the market for a RB in the draft so now that they clearly will be I feel it’s my duty as resident ass hole to rain on your parade.

Barkley, Guice, Michel, Chubb and Jones don’t exactly fit the Broncos mold, the only time they’ve been linked to a premium (barf) RB talent was last season when Kubiak wasn’t in the picture.

If CK is any indication the Broncos will be in the market for the backup LSU RB who nobody knows his name, 5’-11” to 6’-0” and 230-ish, 4.65 to 4.7 in the 40 ... never actually accomplished much ... that’s the mold.

Good day!

SmilinAssasSin27
04-16-2018, 07:16 PM
I hear Elway has a thing for backs from Georgia...

Buff
04-16-2018, 07:26 PM
I hear Elway has a thing for backs from Georgia...

You're thinking of Josh McDaniels. Honest mistake.

Nomad
04-16-2018, 08:04 PM
I didn’t think the Broncos would be in the market for a RB in the draft so now that they clearly will be I feel it’s my duty as resident ass hole to rain on your parade.

Barkley, Guice, Michel, Chubb and Jones don’t exactly fit the Broncos mold, the only time they’ve been linked to a premium (barf) RB talent was last season when Kubiak wasn’t in the picture.

If CK is any indication the Broncos will be in the market for the backup LSU RB who nobody knows his name, 5’-11” to 6’-0” and 230-ish, 4.65 to 4.7 in the 40 ... never actually accomplished much ... that’s the mold.

Good day!

You talking about Darrel Williams?

Simple Jaded
04-16-2018, 08:06 PM
You talking about Darrel Williams?

Si, that him. Look for them to move on someone like him about 2-3 rounds too soon.

TXBRONC
04-18-2018, 04:59 PM
It's not that he can't, it's just there wasn't always a need too. Why use your best player when you're blowing out your opponent.

Barry Sanders had the same issue in the NFL. Barkley is bigger and Stronger. It's not that he can't run inside he just has a tendency not to sometimes. If that's the only criticism he has though that's pretty good. The other factor is RB's aren't valued highly. I think if you could get 8 solid years out of him(when he turns 30) that would be worth it. I mean in hindsight wouldn't you still draft Terrell Davis knowing he's only going to give 5 great years of solid production?

Sure I would, but Davis also wasn't taken in the first round like Barkley is expected go. There is no way to know if Barkley is able to last eight seasons. Even if he did that's still pretty short career for a guy who will more than likely go in the top. Also, the analysts say that drop off between Barkley and rest of running back isn't significant. As I've said many times I generally support whomever Denver drafts.

TXBRONC
04-18-2018, 05:06 PM
good point, horse. . . the biggest drop-off is probably between nelson and the rest of the guards, so we should just nab him while we've got the chance. . . :heh:

Why would we do that when our franchise quarterback Josh Allen will be right there for the taking? :D

7alpha30
04-18-2018, 05:20 PM
Sure I would, but Davis also wasn't taken in the first round like Barkley is expected go. There is no way to know if Barkley is able to last eight seasons. Even if he did that's still pretty short career for a guy who will more than likely go in the top. Also, the analysts say that drop off between Barkley and rest of running back isn't significant. As I've said many times I generally support whomever Denver drafts.

This isn't really true. Most say the difference between Barkley and others is significant but that there are also other good running backs.

topscribe
04-18-2018, 06:57 PM
This isn't really true. Most say the difference between Barkley and others is significant but that there are also other good running backs.
The differences exist in terms of raw talent, as I have read and heard. But Barkley does
have cons as well as pros, the most significant being between the tackles. Despite his
substantial size, it is reported that he doesn't use his power adequately and that RBs
such as Guice are superior in that regard.

Now, perhaps Barkley can be coached to do that. But Guice already does it, as well as
other backs. If Barkley and Chubb were both available at #5 (hypothetically because I
don't expect that at all), I take Chubb and then look at the other backs in round 2.

dogfish
04-18-2018, 09:34 PM
Why would do that when our franchise quarterback Josh Allen will be right there for taking? :D

:yardog:

topscribe
04-18-2018, 10:22 PM

lol - It's been a while since I've seen that expression.

underrated29
04-19-2018, 12:52 AM

Good day!

The broncos love Ron jones. May even move into the first again, if we don’t trade down with Buffalo, to get him. We are taking a rb and taking one early. One with speed!

topscribe
04-19-2018, 01:34 AM
Well, if an offense wants to be able to run effectively between the tackles, you are right, IMO.
That is Guice's strength and Barkley's weakest attribute. Guice may not be able to pop that
90-yard run like Barkley, but how often does that opportunity present itself, anyway?

TXBRONC
04-19-2018, 07:02 AM

Honestly of the top four or five quarterbacks I like him the best. However, Chaz has made the great point that there are enough questions about all of them that if Elway were to pass it's perfectly understandable. If Allen is Elway's guy and he drafts him I'm sure some of the takes around here will be epic.

Simple Jaded
04-19-2018, 11:21 PM
The broncos love Ron jones. May even move into the first again, if we don’t trade down with Buffalo, to get him. We are taking a rb and taking one early. One with speed!

You tell the sweetest lies, I wish I could believe you.

I can’t be hurt again.

Poet
04-19-2018, 11:22 PM

I can’t be hurt again.

We're taking Nelson, Jaded. You're a Nelson Nerd! Rejoice!

TXBRONC
04-20-2018, 07:04 AM

Not if Josh Allen is available. :D

Poet
04-20-2018, 09:39 AM

I'm so torn on him.

BroncoJoe
04-20-2018, 10:01 AM
I'm so torn on him.

Is it causing you pain?

GOOD!

just kidding, friend

Poet
04-20-2018, 10:03 AM
Is it causing you pain?

GOOD!

just kidding, friend

Joe, are you having a good day thus far?

BroncoJoe
04-20-2018, 10:06 AM
Joe, are you having a good day thus far?

It's Friday, EOM @ my employer and I've already exceeded my goal. Sandbagging for next month so I get a large commission check before we head to Florida at the end of June.

Having a good day, King.

You?

Poet
04-20-2018, 10:07 AM
It's Friday, EOM @ my employer and I've already exceeded my goal. Sandbagging for next month so I get a large commission check before we head to Florida at the end of June.

Having a good day, King.

You?

I'm gearing up for finals. Not the best day. Not the worst day. Just another day-day.

I'm hoping that on draft day I get to unleash hashtags.

BroncoJoe
04-20-2018, 10:08 AM
I'm gearing up for finals. Not the best day. Not the worst day. Just another day-day.

I'm hoping that on draft day I get to unleash hashtags.

Let's be honest: One way or another it'll be epic!

Poet
04-20-2018, 10:09 AM
Let's be honest: One way or another it'll be epic!

I'm hoping we draft Dreadnought!

DenBronx
04-20-2018, 10:19 AM

If Josh Allen is still there I believe we take him. Too much upside for this guy.

underrated29
04-20-2018, 12:21 PM
If Josh Allen is still there I believe we take him. Too much upside for this guy.

From what I read somewhere....Dont recall where. Elway really likes him, loves him, but he is not going to draft another project QB early. So basically he is gun shy now and wont take him. (Which is fine with me because I do not believe his accuracy issues will fix when the bullets fly) But he is sooooooo intriguing. He has everything but accuracy.

underrated29
04-20-2018, 12:23 PM

I can’t be hurt again.

We will cry in each others arms or celebrate bare chested! I am here for you whichever way the chips may fall.

topscribe
04-20-2018, 12:38 PM
From what I read somewhere....Dont recall where. Elway really likes him, loves him, but he is not going to draft another project QB early. So basically he is gun shy now and wont take him. (Which is fine with me because I do not believe his accuracy issues will fix when the bullets fly) But he is sooooooo intriguing. He has everything but accuracy.
Hmmm . . . had the post you responded to not mentioned the name "Allen," I could have
sworn you were talking about Paxton Lynch. You are right about the accuracy issues. If
the Broncos were to draft Allen, they would have two howitzer-armed QBs with bad
accuracy, IMO.

Simple Jaded
04-21-2018, 04:28 AM
We will cry in each others arms or celebrate bare chested! I am here for you whichever way the chips may fall.

I get to be the big spoon.

Traveler
04-24-2018, 03:57 AM

I wouldn’t be upset if DEN selected Jones instead of Barkley. A possible scenario of them selecting B. Chubb at#5 and Ronald Jones II in the early 2nd round would fill their two biggest holes. Whomever they select at #5 has to start from day one IMO.

After those two, they should concentrate on the OL, CB, and ILB. Lastly, they should sign Mercedes Lewis after the draft is over.