PDA

View Full Version : Derek Wolfe rips pro football focus

Jsteve01
03-28-2018, 06:29 PM
I have to say. I love Derek. God I hope he stays healthy. I remember hearing a beat writer from Houston a few years ago raving about the non stat impact that Wolfe has on a game during joint practices during camp.

http://1043thefan.com/167253/watch-derek-wolfe-pro-football-focus/

Cugel
03-28-2018, 09:39 PM
The only question with Wolfe is whether he can stay healthy enough to continue to play. He's had back issues, and when a DL starts having back issues that is never a good sign. DeMarcus Ware had back issues, and then he was retired. Wolfe isn't ready to retire any time soon, perhaps, but perhaps he will be forced to.

Back issues have a way of forcing players to pay attention. That's how a lot of guys retire.

Jsteve01
03-28-2018, 09:56 PM
The only question with Wolfe is whether he can stay healthy enough to continue to play. He's had back issues, and when a DL starts having back issues that is never a good sign. DeMarcus Ware had back issues, and then he was retired. Wolfe isn't ready to retire any time soon, perhaps, but perhaps he will be forced to.

Back issues have a way of forcing players to pay attention. That's how a lot of guys retire.

Actually neck which is even more concerning

FanInAZ
03-28-2018, 10:07 PM
I wouldn't say "ripped" because he was too calm and intellectual in his analysis. I'd say he presented a logical case that exposed the major flaws in methodology used by PFF to generate their ratings. Sorry, I'm just being me right now. Carry on as you all were ;)

FanInAZ
03-28-2018, 10:08 PM
Actually neck which is even more concerning

I remember when we were all concerned that his career just ended right in front of our eyes when he suffered that injury.

Poet
03-29-2018, 09:55 AM
Cut him, please.

GEM
03-29-2018, 10:13 AM
Cut him, please.

I love you king, but shut your whore mouth!

Poet
03-29-2018, 10:18 AM
I love you king, but shut your whore mouth!

He's overrated and injury prone. "No stat for doing this so Von Can get a sack," yeah, man, he had ten sacks last season. You were tearing it up. PFF isn't gospel, it's just a tool. Wolfe has that in common with PFF.

Davii
03-29-2018, 10:31 AM
He's overrated and injury prone. "No stat for doing this so Von Can get a sack," yeah, man, he had ten sacks last season. You were tearing it up. PFF isn't gospel, it's just a tool. Wolfe has that in common with PFF.

Is there a stat for terrible takes?

Dapper Dan
03-29-2018, 11:05 AM

Really wish we would have kept Malik and left Wolfe to the highest bidder. Probably would have been best for him too.

BroncoWave
03-29-2018, 11:07 AM
Sounds about like the kind of meathead take Wolfe would have.

Davii
03-29-2018, 11:17 AM

Interesting. So, your take on the difference of opinion on PFF between a casual football fan and a guy who's dedicated his life to the craft is that he's a meathead and the casual fan that likes what PFF offers is clearly intellectually superior and more likely correct?

That about right?

Jsteve01
03-29-2018, 11:23 AM

Interesting. So, your take on the difference of opinion on PFF between a casual football fan and a guy who's dedicated his life to the craft is that he's a meathead and the casual fan that likes what PFF offers is clearly intellectually superior and more likely correct?

That about right?

Wolfe is very well spoken and i stand by my remark about what real football people have expressed about the way that Wolfe impacts a game. He is injury prone. That sucks. But in the superbowl year he had th same stats as malik in 4 fewer games. Hard to argue signing him for $5 million less per year given their performances that year

Davii
03-29-2018, 11:30 AM
Wolfe is very well spoken and i stand by my remark about what real football people have expressed about the way that Wolfe impacts a game. He is injury prone. That sucks. But in the superbowl year he had th same stats as malik in 4 fewer games. Hard to argue signing him for $5 million less per year given their performances that year

Very hard to argue. I think he's one of the better bargains out there at his position, and he is also an "attitude" type player. Not to the level Talib seemed to be, but he is always bringing the nasty, trying to fire up teammates, bring an identity to the D, etc. I think his impact on our D can be summed up in stats but that doesn't mean it doesn't go well beyond that.

Freyaka
03-29-2018, 11:55 AM

He's got videos posted where post surgery he has perfect neck movement. That's not a guarantee he'll continue to, but it's a promising sign.

Poet
03-29-2018, 11:56 AM

If so, the people who blindly pump up fan favorites would outscore me greatly.

He's an above average player that we take as great, and he's not reliable to be on the field. Last offseason he whined about a reporter using a headline that that pointed out that he was hurt. Now he's bashing pretty solid stats?

Please cut him.

Poet
03-29-2018, 11:58 AM

Great - and real football people use statistics and value durability.

He was a difference maker in the SB year because the team around him was great. Jackson's still a difference maker. Wolfe isn't. We idealize him. Do real football people do that, too?

Davii
03-29-2018, 12:06 PM

He's an above average player that we take as great, and he's not reliable to be on the field. Last offseason he whined about a reporter using a headline that that pointed out that he was hurt. Now he's bashing pretty solid stats?

Please cut him.

Terrible take. Just terrible. The King has no clothes!

Poet
03-29-2018, 12:15 PM
Terrible take. Just terrible. The King has no clothes!

Only because I sleep naked!

Denver Native (Carol)
03-29-2018, 12:16 PM
Back in 2007, a young English gentleman by the name of Neil Hornsby created a website that dove deep into the crevices of the basic football statistics that everyone’s parents and grandparents grew up with. Hornsby’s site is now known to many within the football community as Pro Football Focus and has been consistently increasing its popularity ever since it was created a decade ago.

Fast forward to today and the majority owner of Pro Football Focus is former NFL wide receiver Cris Collinsworth, more than half of the teams in the league pay the website a good chunk of change for their in-depth statistics, and the company employs over 70 football-obsessed people.

Despite their increased success in the past few years, however, not everyone is exactly a fan of the work that the site does. Especially when it comes to their player grades.

Most recently, Minnesota Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer talked at the NFL owners meetings about his views on the validity of the site’s player grades.

rest - http://thecomeback.com/nfl/pro-football-focus-stick-stats.html

GEM
03-29-2018, 12:50 PM

That's the worst #hottake I've ever heard...and I've heard a lot of them on this very board.

They don't ******* measure the shit that he does to cause havoc, yet his boy Miller has said NUMEROUS times, that his numbers wouldn't be what they are if it weren't for Wolfe. So keep looking at stats for a middle lineman expecting to see them jump out at you.

And then to top it off you backhandedly threw a jab at Miller. Take a look at his numbers, yea, sacks were down, but he was tops in the league in everything else. Keep in mind, before that, he had Wolfe, Malik and Ware on the other side. FFS.

GEM
03-29-2018, 12:56 PM

That about right?

FFS, it's like they didn't even watch the video. :tsk:

GEM
03-29-2018, 12:57 PM

Please cut him.

But they aren't solid stats, that's the point. FFS watch the video, he explains why the stats are bullshit.

Timmy!
03-29-2018, 01:15 PM
King is basically the worst football analyst on this board so the fact he hates Wolfe is good news for Bronco fans. :D

slim
03-29-2018, 01:22 PM

Yes. I am always charting them.

I call it the King index.

slim
03-29-2018, 01:26 PM
Here are the numbers for the 2018 off season King Index.

% of takes that are terrible, by poster:

King: 100%
Cugel: 100%
Jaded: 99%
BTB: 98%
Frey: 95%

Buff
03-29-2018, 01:28 PM

We are still trying to account for Joe's 102% - seems like a miscalculation but I keep pouring over the numbers and can't find the error.

Poet
03-29-2018, 01:36 PM
That's the worst #hottake I've ever heard...and I've heard a lot of them on this very board.

They don't ******* measure the shit that he does to cause havoc, yet his boy Miller has said NUMEROUS times, that his numbers wouldn't be what they are if it weren't for Wolfe. So keep looking at stats for a middle lineman expecting to see them jump out at you.

And then to top it off you backhandedly threw a jab at Miller. Take a look at his numbers, yea, sacks were down, but he was tops in the league in everything else. Keep in mind, before that, he had Wolfe, Malik and Ware on the other side. FFS.

Actually, they can and have. They've measured defensive lineman's ability to push back offensive lineman. Ironically, Von's had a great season before Wolfe started. And yeah, it's pretty clear as to which DE meant more. I didn't throw a jab at Von Miller at all - I think he does a really great job getting doubled while only having an above average player like Wolfe.

Wolfe complains about good statistics, which aren't taken as gospel, despite the strawman, and bitches when people report that he's hurt. Which, he has an injury history, and has been hurt when those reports came out.

In conclusion, you've refuted nothing, and he's still overrated.

BroncoWave
03-29-2018, 01:36 PM

That about right?

It's just the typical meathead athlete take of "I played and you stat nerds didn't, so I know what I'm talking about and you don't". I can't help but to roll my eyes any time an athlete does that take.

Some of the most brilliant GM's in sports never played for a second and some of the greatest athletes ever ran teams into the ground. When it comes to analyzing someone's play, sometimes the numbers guys are right, even if they themselves didn't play.

BroncoJoe
03-29-2018, 01:37 PM
We are still trying to account for Joe's 102% - seems like a miscalculation but I keep pouring over the numbers and can't find the error.

Yeah - my football takes admittedly suck.

P&R though? They've been dead-on right.

:D

Poet
03-29-2018, 01:38 PM
King is basically the worst football analyst on this board so the fact he hates Wolfe is good news for Bronco fans. :D

If only, if only. Hey, this guy is above average and we treat him like he's great - which people ignore- and then getting strawmanned. I'm used to it - it's easier to ignore things that are inconvenient for arguments and logic. :D

BroncoJoe
03-29-2018, 01:51 PM
If only, if only. Hey, this guy is above average and we treat him like he's great - which people ignore- and then getting strawmanned. I'm used to it - it's easier to ignore things that are inconvenient for arguments and logic. :D

I mean, YOU would know...

Poet
03-29-2018, 01:56 PM
I mean, YOU would know...

If I had a penny for every time I was strawmanned or had an argument ignored I'd have a couple grand to spend on baconators. :D

Freyaka
03-29-2018, 02:01 PM

I have to question the validity of that tracker as Shane isn't anywhere on that list.

dogfish
03-29-2018, 02:13 PM
PFF is silly-ass garbage. . .

also, stop feeding king-- he's just being an attention whore. . .