PDA

View Full Version : Josh Allen.....vs Elway

WARHORSE
03-17-2018, 01:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRDSJJx9OtY

Remind you of anyone?
When people talk about the prototypical QB coming out of college, John Elway is the best prospect to have ever pushed the doors open and walked into the NFL.

This kid imo is not quite as polished at this point.....but he sure looks like someone we all admire. When hes off, he throws balls way out of bounds....so did Elway. But his ability to rocket the ball downfield and into the deep outs on the run is parallel to John. John had better touch coming out of the backfield on swing passes and short underneath throws......but Elway also threw a heckuva lot more to this point in their careers.

The upside is too much to ignore. Generational arm strength with an ability to run, as well as being strong.

I like Baker Mayfield alot. Would not be upset if we drafted him. I like Darnold a little, Rosen less. But this is the guy I would take if we are set on using the pick on a QB being we are that high.

Simple Jaded
03-17-2018, 01:23 AM
Elway was the worst at swing passes out of the backfield that I’ve ever seen.

Shazam!
03-17-2018, 05:24 AM

One of Elways greatest flaws IMO was he had no touch at all. But that wasn't his game when you rely on your cannon arm is your game.

I think Mayfield is a great fit because of his leadership quality which Denver needs badly. He'll overcome 2".

slim
03-17-2018, 08:13 AM
War just murdered UR.

Northman
03-17-2018, 08:25 AM
Just no.....

aberdien
03-17-2018, 08:26 AM
If we could trust our coaching staff to develop him properly I would like Allen.

Since we have Keenum now maybe Elway is content with getting him and letting him sit.

Rosen > Darnold = Allen > Mayfield

Jsteve01
03-17-2018, 08:36 AM
If we could trust our coaching staff to develop him properly I would like Allen.

Since we have Keenum now maybe Elway is content with getting him and letting him sit.

Cugel Stated the disparity in opinions about these quarterbacks extremely well. Analysts are all over the board. I've seen projection from guys with literally each one of these people as their top quarterback. That is what concerns me. Even the best talent evaluators can't seem to get a handle on who really projects. Mayfield is the leader and Allen is the physical talent, and darnold has the potential and Rosen is the genius. But nobody other than a few guys on this board are a hundred percent sure that their guy is absolutely the best quarterback in this draft.

Very very very good talent evaluators have darnold according to their point system on nfl.com being an almost once-in-a-generation type player. When you look at the tape from last year I can't believe that. Very very very good talent evaluators talk about Rosen and the way he threads it. But you turn on the tape last year and he was getting beat up and at times he wasn't going through his progressions. Mayfield is small Allen is inaccurate. I just don't know that I feel comfortable drafting one of these guys number 5 overall.

Northman
03-17-2018, 09:26 AM
Cugel. Stated the disparity in opinions about these quarterbacks extremely well. Analysts are all over the board I've seen projection from guys with literally each one of these people as their top quarterback. That is what concerns me. Even the best talent evaluators can't seem to get a handle on who really projects. Mayfield is the leader and Alan is the physical talent and darnold has the potential and Rosen is the genius. But nobody other than a few guys on this board are a hundred percent sure that they're guy is absolutely the best quarterback in this draft. Very very very good talent evaluators have darnold according to their point system on nfl.com being an almost once-in-a-generation type player. When you look at the tape from last year I can't believe that. Very very very good talent evaluators talk about Rosen and the way he threads it. But you turn on the tape last year and he was getting beat up and at times he wasn't going through his progressions. Mayfield is small Allen is inaccurate. I just don't know that I feel comfortable drafting one of these guys number 5 overall.

Agree with this 100%. Which is why (since we still have Lynch and Kelly) i think Denver should go another direction at #5 and treat it like they did when they took Von by taking BPA. This draft is actually very deep at QB in my opinion to the point i would be ok with taking a guy like Rudolph or Falk later on if they want to go another "project" route. The fact we signed Keenum to me alleviates the need to take QB at #5 even though Case wont be a sure fire answer. But i dont see any of the top QB's being a definitive answer for Denver anyway, at least not compared to some of the other QB's in the draft. In my opinion Denver already has two Qb projects in Kelly and Lynch so to take another so high is incredibly dumb to me.

Jsteve01
03-17-2018, 09:45 AM
Chubbb

Poet
03-17-2018, 09:49 AM
His completion percentage scares me, a lot. His talent is tremendous, and he's not coming off as entitled and or mentally insufficient. I think the Browns actually increased their chances of taking him when they traded for Tyrod Taylor.

Northman
03-17-2018, 09:50 AM
Chubbb

Im not opposed to Chubb but if we go defense i would rather go with a LB like Smith as more of a priority than Chubb. But, considering how bad the offense is i think offense should be the pick at #5 except for QB.

Northman
03-17-2018, 09:51 AM
His completion percentage scares me, a lot. His talent is tremendous, and he's not coming off as entitled and or mentally insufficient. I think the Browns actually increased their chances of taking him when they traded for Tyrod Taylor.

Allens accuracy is HORRIBLE considering the talent level he played against. Dude was ranked 82nd out of college QB's this past year. Lol

Poet
03-17-2018, 09:53 AM
Allens accuracy is HORRIBLE considering the talent level he played against. Dude was ranked 82nd out of college QB's this past year. Lol

If he was even in the low 60's he'd probably have gone from a preference pick in a lot of people's eyes to being the man! I don't think that he's unfixable, but god damn...50's....woof.

Northman
03-17-2018, 09:58 AM
If he was even in the low 60's he'd probably have gone from a preference pick in a lot of people's eyes to being the man! I don't think that he's unfixable, but god damn...50's....woof.

Can we please not have any "woof" jokes today? Lol

Poet
03-17-2018, 09:59 AM
Can we please not have any "woof" jokes today? Lol

:lol::lol:

slim
03-17-2018, 11:25 AM

But he is a man's man, so I bet VJ loves him.

Poet
03-17-2018, 11:47 AM
But he is a man's man, so I bet VJ loves him.

Wait...what?

Cugel
03-17-2018, 12:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRDSJJx9OtY

Remind you of anyone?
When people talk about the prototypical QB coming out of college, John Elway is the best prospect to have ever pushed the doors open and walked into the NFL.

This kid imo is not quite as polished at this point.....but he sure looks like someone we all admire. When hes off, he throws balls way out of bounds....so did Elway. But his ability to rocket the ball downfield and into the deep outs on the run is parallel to John. John had better touch coming out of the backfield on swing passes and short underneath throws......but Elway also threw a heckuva lot more to this point in their careers.

The upside is too much to ignore. Generational arm strength with an ability to run, as well as being strong.

I like Baker Mayfield alot. Would not be upset if we drafted him. I like Darnold a little, Rosen less. But this is the guy I would take if we are set on using the pick on a QB being we are that high.

Allen has a cannon for an arm. Know who else had similarly amazing arm talent? "Generational arm strength and the ability to run."

"The George is Strong With This One!"

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-17-2018, 12:51 PM

Elway had a low completion percentage early in his career because he was forced to throw down the field so much to bail the offense out of bad positions. The offense under Reeves was not designed to give him easy completions. The offense was designed to run on first and second down.

Could it be a similar situation with Allen? That offense had him pushing the ball down the field a lot.

chazoe60
03-17-2018, 01:23 PM
Allen has a cannon for an arm. Know who else had similarly amazing arm talent? "Generational arm strength and the ability to run."

I don't want to draft Allen but this comparison is so ******* painfully stupid it's embarrassing. Allen's attitude and personality are nothing like Jeff George. At least put a modicum of thought into this stuff.

Poet
03-17-2018, 01:26 PM
I don't want to draft Allen but this comparison is so ******* painfully stupid it's embarrassing. Allen's attitude and personality are nothing like Jeff George. At least put a modicum of thought into this stuff.

George hated everyone and was selfishly entitled to the world (in his eyes). Allen...made his bones in a humble school/conference and doesn't put on 'airs'. I don't really see the comparison. Especially since, George was good at times - it was his own brain and arrogance that got in his ways. Since Allen is the opposite of that...I think...Cugel...just...argued on his behalf....

Whoa.

Nomad
03-17-2018, 01:28 PM
George hated everyone and was selfishly entitled to the world (in his eyes). Allen...made his bones in a humble school/conference and doesn't put on 'airs'. I don't really see the comparison. Especially since, George was good at times - it was his own brain and arrogance that got in his ways. Since Allen is the opposite of that...I think...Cugel...just...argued on his behalf....

Whoa.

You sure you're not talking about Jay Cutler. :D

slim
03-17-2018, 01:36 PM
Wait...what?

VJ likes men that like men.

Nomad
03-17-2018, 01:37 PM
VJ likes men that like men.

You think VJ role plays.

slim
03-17-2018, 01:39 PM
You think VJ role plays.

Yes. He is currently playing the role of an NFL head coach. Not a very believable performance, IMO.

Nomad
03-17-2018, 01:40 PM
Yes. He is currently playing the role of an NFL head coach. Not a very believable performance, IMO.

How did he buffalo Elway into hiring him over Shanahan?

slim
03-17-2018, 01:44 PM

IDK. I didn't understand it then and doubt I ever will.

Northman
03-17-2018, 01:44 PM

It would be inappropriate to describe how he did it.

*Edit*

But, if you ever saw Pulp Fiction and the scene with Jed and Marcellis Wallace than you might get a good idea.

Nomad
03-17-2018, 01:46 PM
IDK. I didn't understand it then and doubt I ever will.

It would be appropriate to describe how he did it.

*Edit*

But, if you ever saw Pulp Fiction and the scene with Jed and Marcellis Wallace than you might get a good idea.

All I know is....Rick was right.

I've never watched 'Pulp Fiction', perhaps I should.

slim
03-17-2018, 01:50 PM
It would be inappropriate to describe how he did it.

*Edit*

Blow torch and a pair of pliers?

slim
03-17-2018, 01:50 PM
All I know is....Rick was right.

I've never watched 'Pulp Fiction', perhaps I should.

Rick was right about what?

Don't waste your time on Pulp Fiction.

Nomad
03-17-2018, 01:52 PM
Rick was right about what?

Don't waste your time on Pulp Fiction.

Rick was the biggest advocate to hire Kyle Shanahan.

slim
03-17-2018, 01:53 PM
Rick was the biggest advocate to hire Kyle Shanahan.

I think you mean second biggest :D

Magnificent Seven
03-17-2018, 02:11 PM
Josh Allen is a mobile quarterback. Broncos Country loves mobile quarterback. It looks like Allen is Tebow 2.0

WARHORSE
03-17-2018, 02:14 PM
All Im sayin is.........looks an awful lot like one John "The Duke" Elway...........just sayin. This kid can run at and has a little wiggle in his hips. Can throw darts on the run.

AND....he's a farm boy with fire. I like farm boys with fire.(NOT in the same way as Beef!) ;) Hard workers. A little cocky. Sturdy stock.

Poet
03-17-2018, 03:13 PM
I don't think we're taking a QB at five, though.

TXBRONC
03-17-2018, 03:40 PM

George was also bonafide coach killer, I can't say I've heard the same about Allen.

turftoad
03-17-2018, 03:58 PM
I don't think we're taking a QB at five, though.

We will not be taking a QB at #5.
We signed Kennum and have two young guys already.

Nomad
03-17-2018, 03:59 PM

What's your choice @ #5, turf?

Poet
03-17-2018, 04:00 PM

We signed a bland QB, we have a pirate for a QB, and a knucklehead for another one.

Turf, I'm depressed.

elsid13
03-17-2018, 04:20 PM
If Mike Shanahan was here, Allen would be his choice but a far. He's the QB that Shanahan loved and he would be great with that version of the WCO - play action, role outs and bootlegs. But with Kubiak here I wouldn't be surprised if he liked Rosen.

Nomad
03-17-2018, 04:39 PM
We signed a bland QB, we have a pirate for a QB, and a knucklehead for another one.

Turf, I'm depressed.

We're here for you, King.

Nomad
03-17-2018, 04:40 PM
If Mike Shanahan was here, Allen would be his choice but a far. He's the QB that Shanahan loved and he would be great with that version of the WCO - play action, role outs and bootlegs. But with Kubiak here I wouldn't be surprised if he liked Rosen.

Never watched a game of his, but saw his highlights. He sure did tuck and run a lot.

Poet
03-17-2018, 04:51 PM
We're here for you, King.

You're here to be mean to me! :lol:

elsid13
03-17-2018, 04:51 PM
Never watched a game of his, but saw his highlights. He sure did tuck and run a lot.

Think Cutler without being a dick.

Nomad
03-17-2018, 05:08 PM
You're here to be mean to me! :lol:

You want me to cuddle you, or you gonna man up? Quit feeling sorry for yourself.

Nomad
03-17-2018, 05:09 PM

So he's a turnover machine in tough situations?

Poet
03-17-2018, 06:00 PM
You want me to cuddle you, or you gonna man up? Quit feeling sorry for yourself.

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought I deserved the same treatment that you give to TS. :lol:

slim
03-17-2018, 06:09 PM

Does not compute

elsid13
03-17-2018, 06:26 PM
Does not compute

Amazing arm, sneaky athletic, trust his arm to make great plays vs taking a check down, throws off his back more then he should.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-17-2018, 07:08 PM
Amazing arm, sneaky athletic, trust his arm to make great plays vs taking a check down, throws off his back more then he should.

And is still trying to figure out how he can force more passes to Brandon Marshall.

OrangeHoof
03-17-2018, 07:40 PM

Elway lined up under guard once during his rookie year. Didn't make him a failure. The question is Allen's accuracy. I'd put him in one of those made-for-tv contests where the mechanical receivers run around with little bulls-eyes next to their outstretched cardboard hands. How often can he hit the bulls-eye? If the answer is one or none, he'll be the next Ryan Mallett. Also, can Allen read defenses? I think those will become more important than whether he can hit the 60-yard up and out.

WARHORSE
03-17-2018, 11:12 PM

I can see that mindset. Draft someone like Chubbs or Barkley since the first 3 will be QBs.

WARHORSE
03-17-2018, 11:15 PM
Elway lined up under guard once during his rookie year. Didn't make him a failure. The question is Allen's accuracy. I'd put him in one of those made-for-tv contests where the mechanical receivers run around with little bulls-eyes next to their outstretched cardboard hands. How often can he hit the bulls-eye? If the answer is one or none, he'll be the next Ryan Mallett. Also, can Allen read defenses? I think those will become more important than whether he can hit the 60-yard up and out.

Yeah....the guy runs around in the backfield then fires the ball 80 yards downfield because he can and the defense cant play the whole field. One connection...one touchdown.

Simple Jaded
03-17-2018, 11:21 PM
Allen’s been asked to do what is considered “advanced” in today’s NCAA, things like taking snaps from under center, using more than one word to call a play, using a huddle, changing protections. He wasn’t throwing to wide open 5-Star athletes and played in a conference that’s arguably better defensively than the BIG12.

They used routes that actually resemble what he’ll see in NFL, not 5 Banana routes, so while he doesn’t throw with anticipation he already knows what the those routes actually look like. He’s a Grip It And Rip It QB right now, those rarely last in the NFL, but he’s far more advanced now than even PL is.

topscribe
03-17-2018, 11:45 PM

Now that they have Keenum to work behind, if the Broncos take a QB, I wouldn't doubt if it was Allen.
He's going to take a lot of development, but I personally think he has by far the highest ceiling.

But Paxton has the same athletic ability. I still wonder whether he can't be developed the same way.
Either way, I think they'll be rolling the dice.

aberdien
03-18-2018, 01:00 PM
Paxton has terrible facial hair. He's not worth fighting for.

topscribe
03-18-2018, 02:20 PM
Paxton has terrible facial hair. He's not worth fighting for.
Why? The defense isn't as effective when they are laughing . . .

Cugel
03-19-2018, 09:00 AM
George was also bonafide coach killer, I can't say I've heard the same about Allen.

I'm not arguing that Josh Allen is Jeff George. For one thing I don't even have an opinion on that. For another nobody can know at this point. But, I pointed out that pure arm talent had Jeff George the #1 overall pick, so that can be an overrated ability!

Jay Cutler had amazing arm talent too.

TXBRONC
03-19-2018, 12:00 PM
I'm not arguing that Josh Allen is Jeff George. For one thing I don't even have an opinion on that. For another nobody can know at this point. But, I pointed out that pure arm talent had Jeff George the #1 overall pick, so that can be an overrated ability!

Ok, then I misunderstood. The comment "the George is strong with this one" was leading me to believe you were saying that Allen is coach killer.

elsid13
03-19-2018, 04:46 PM
Allen remind me a lot of Brett Farve. I would comfortable if Denver picked him at 5 with Keenum working as the starter for the next year or so.

WARHORSE
03-19-2018, 08:11 PM

Not to jump in but Allen has arm talent that surpasses both these guys by far. The man could throw the ball 80 yards as a frosh. You better believe he can chuck it 85 or over now.......can anyone wrap their brain around that?

Simple Jaded
03-19-2018, 08:47 PM
Not to jump in but Allen has arm talent that surpasses both these guys by far. The man could throw the ball 80 yards as a frosh. You better believe he can chuck it 85 or over now.......can anyone wrap their brain around that?

Most importantly, imo, He's also been running Pro concepts with Pro verbiage and making full field reads for 3 seasons. All that physical talent to go along with better mental preparation than 99% of draft prospects.

His accuracy is said to be mitigated by improving footwork, not to suggest he'll ever complete 67% like CK but in a dink and dunk offense I wouldn't count him out.

This could be the Matthew Stafford exception to the rule.

topscribe
03-19-2018, 08:53 PM
An Elway-type arm. I watched a video where Elway threw the ball about 80 yards in high school.

elsid13
03-19-2018, 09:19 PM
Much like Elway and Farve, Allen has no touch on the ball right now. Everything is the heater.

FanInAZ
03-19-2018, 10:08 PM

Irrelevant, unless the OL can hold their blocks long enough for the receivers to get about 60-65 yards down field so they can get to the same spot 85 yards down field at the same time as the ball.

Elevation inc
03-20-2018, 03:17 AM
I like Allen, but I feel he is a year from starter ready. I think if we don't go Mayfield or Rosen who can start day 1, we should address other needs. Our top need was QB, but I feel better there, not sold but more confident then the last 2 years. For me we need the best damn cover linebacker in this draft, a DT(don't forget the Gostis issue) and a RT in the first 3 rds for sure. Our defense is still top 10, but the 3rd/4th CB for Dime and nickel and the lack of DT options on the team, as well as the need for a LB who can actually cover is even more pressing in my eyes. Lets not forget the Gostis issue at DT. We are thin behind Peko and Wolfe.

Northman
03-20-2018, 05:29 AM

You want to know who else could throw the long ball like that? Kyle Boller.

Having a strong arm is nice, but without accuracy it means nothing.

Elevation inc
03-20-2018, 07:05 AM
You want to know who else could throw the long ball like that? Kyle Boller.

Having a strong arm is nice, but without accuracy it means nothing.

Agreed, I love a cannon arm, but his accuracy scares the crap out of me. We have seen enough of poor accurate throwing in Denver for awhile. I think he is coachable, but I don't think that's enough to warrant ignoring the holes we currently have on defense and the OL

arapaho2
03-20-2018, 10:03 AM
for those critical of allen because of his completion %

who many misses were account of the bad oline forcing him to force it or throw it

who many were because of the lack of talent around him in the wr position?

you can say wyo didn't play a lot of good teams...but wyo didn't have a lot of talent either

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-20-2018, 10:45 AM
Allen and Elway are gonna fight?

topscribe
03-20-2018, 01:13 PM
Agreed, I love a cannon arm, but his accuracy scares the crap out of me. We have seen enough of poor accurate throwing in Denver for awhile. I think he is coachable, but I don't think that's enough to warrant ignoring the holes we currently have on defense and the OL
Absolutely my thoughts. The Broncos already have a QB from the first round of a draft who
has a cannon arm but has had accuracy problems. So are they going to start a collection of
them?

I personally think they just signed a good QB, and Lynch, I hear, is working his butt off this
off season with a mentor on his mechanics. Of course, that doesn't tell us what might linger
between PL's ears, but at least we may see better footwork and accuracy from him this year.

CoachChaz
03-20-2018, 01:32 PM
for those critical of allen because of his completion %

who many misses were account of the bad oline forcing him to force it or throw it

who many were because of the lack of talent around him in the wr position?

you can say wyo didn't play a lot of good teams...but wyo didn't have a lot of talent either

Also have to take into account the quality of coaching at Wyoming isn't going to be on par with that at UCLA, USC or Oklahoma. That being said, the amount of improvement I've seen in Allen from his Bowl game to Senior Bowl to Combine has been legit. He's obviously working with QB gurus and making strides with better the coaching.

elsid13
03-20-2018, 01:48 PM
Also have to take into account the quality of coaching at Wyoming isn't going to be on par with that at UCLA, USC or Oklahoma. That being said, the amount of improvement I've seen in Allen from his Bowl game to Senior Bowl to Combine has been legit. He's obviously working with QB gurus and making strides with better the coaching.

WYO staff is actually pretty good having come over from NDSU and they were the one they developed Weitz. Lots of pro concept and plays in that offense. Allen is training with Darnold in Socal to improve which is good.

Poet
03-20-2018, 05:55 PM
**** it, draft his ass.

chazoe60
03-20-2018, 05:57 PM
They just said on the radio that Elway will not be at Allen's pro day. Smokescreen or no?

WARHORSE
03-20-2018, 06:18 PM
Irrelevant, unless the OL can hold their blocks long enough for the receivers to get about 60-65 yards down field so they can get to the same spot 85 yards down field at the same time as the ball.

No, its not irrelevant. There are all kinds of ways to create time and space. Bootlegs, extra step receivers, play action, scheme.........but most of all....this kid can boogie for a big boy. Its also not irrelevant that he makes the secondary stay way back creating space underneath.

The potential alone is enough to spend the pick on this guy.

elsid13
03-20-2018, 06:19 PM
They just said on the radio that Elway will not be at Allen's pro day. Smokescreen or no?

I am not sure. Because he was going a week ago, then he said he was sending just the scouts (right after the Jets moved up).

aberdien
03-20-2018, 06:34 PM
Allen has a cool, low key, small town aesthetic that I like, and I think he'd fit in with us. I'm cool with drafting him at 5. But he won't be there.

slim
03-20-2018, 07:30 PM
Allen has a cool, low key, small town aesthetic that I like, and I think he'd fit in with us. I'm cool with drafting him at 5. But he won't be there.

HTF do you know?

aberdien
03-20-2018, 07:38 PM
HTF do you know?
Millennials know everything.

slim
03-20-2018, 07:40 PM
Millennials know everything.

Obviously.

Poet
03-20-2018, 07:48 PM

He's a country bumpkin. Unfortunate, but not a deal killer.

slim
03-20-2018, 09:26 PM
He's a country bumpkin. Unfortunate, but not a deal killer.

This, by itself, makes him a better player and person than Rosen.

Poet
03-20-2018, 09:28 PM

Okay.

Simple Jaded
03-20-2018, 11:24 PM

It also means he makes horrible decisions.

I’ll take the ass hole. No homo.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-20-2018, 11:31 PM

I don’t know. He’s already watched him play from the sideline

Simple Jaded
03-20-2018, 11:34 PM

Maybe it’s a smokescreen of a smokescreen? The Battle of Wits has begun.

9mTlnrXFAXE

nevcraw
03-20-2018, 11:44 PM
I ‘d be cool taking a project if we had 1 example of developing one.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-20-2018, 11:52 PM

I got nothin’

Simple Jaded
03-20-2018, 11:53 PM

Ouch, damn!

He ain’t lyin!

Simple Jaded
03-20-2018, 11:54 PM
I got nothin’

Some of their players actually get worse, PL, for example.

WARHORSE
03-21-2018, 04:53 AM
I am not sure. Because he was going a week ago, then he said he was sending just the scouts (right after the Jets moved up).

I think its a smokescreen.....of sorts. Did you see Allen perform in the senior bowl? Studly.

I think the Broncos have genuine interest. I also think they have genuine interest in the others.

Elevation inc
03-21-2018, 07:57 AM
I think its a smokescreen.....of sorts. Did you see Allen perform in the senior bowl? Studly.

I think the Broncos have genuine interest. I also think they have genuine interest in the others.

Allen scares me a bit because of time needed to develop, but I'm also a armchair GM at a keyboard on the message boards so lets not get it twisted. Denver is absolutely interested in Allen and are probably really pissed at the jets right now for moving up to 3. In fact if many remember a similar scenario occurred with Lynch if I'm not mistaken where they didn't think Denver was even going to be interested due to lack of presence at pro day or something along those lines.

topscribe
03-21-2018, 11:36 AM
Allen scares me a bit because of time needed to develop, but I'm also a armchair GM at a keyboard on the message boards so lets not get it twisted. Denver is absolutely interested in Allen and are probably really pissed at the jets right now for moving up to 3. In fact if many remember a similar scenario occurred with Lynch if I'm not mistaken where they didn't think Denver was even going to be interested due to lack of presence at pro day or something along those lines.
Well, perhaps they got their "grass is greener" syndrome solved for them. I think it's about
time for them to develop what they have, rather than an another raw recruit to the collection.
Do they want a raw QB with a howitzer arm and some accuracy issues? They have Paxton
Lynch, who has never really had a chance to develop. If they brought in Allen, would they
have two Paxton Lynches or two Josh Allens?

To me, if they draft a QB, I do like the idea of Baker Mayfield, a contrast to what they have
now. But I'm not crazy about throwing the #5 after any QB. Adding Quentin Nelson or
Saquon Barkley would be giving them what they don't have now and would dramatically
improve the team right now. IMHO.

WARHORSE
03-21-2018, 07:30 PM
Well, perhaps they got their "grass is greener" syndrome solved for them. I think it's about
time for them to develop what they have, rather than an another raw recruit to the collection.
Do they want a raw QB with a howitzer arm and some accuracy issues? They have Paxton
Lynch, who has never really had a chance to develop. If they brought in Allen, would they
have two Paxton Lynches or two Josh Allens?

To me, if they draft a QB, I do like the idea of Baker Mayfield, a contrast to what they have
now. But I'm not crazy about throwing the #5 after any QB. Adding Quentin Nelson or
Saquon Barkley would be giving them what they don't have now and would dramatically
improve the team right now. IMHO.

Im thinking....probably to the chagrin of many.....that Elway plans on trading up to get his man. ONLY man that I can see trading up from 5 is Allen...simply because the only thing setting him apart from the others is that huge arm. (sound of rear ends puckering) All these QBs, when all is considered, are about even when it comes to risk. What sets Allen apart is his howitzer, athleticism and size.

If the Browns take Darnold....I think the Broncos go up and get Allen (cue rocks) at 2.....If the Giants are focused on non-QB......then Denver is their dream trade partner. Browns arent trading out of 4.

Poet
03-21-2018, 07:34 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think we're taking a QB in the first round. However, if we were to get Allen, his selection would make the CK signing palatable.

Cugel
03-22-2018, 04:03 PM
Things seem to be changing. Instead of Baker Mayfield, the Jets are now supposed to be targeting Josh Allen. I have no idea if this is true, but it is interesting.

So, conceivably Allen'd be off the board at #3. If the Jets take Mayfield, the Browns at #4 would try and trade down out of that pick for someone who wants him, presumably Buffalo or Denver.

I doubt Elway is willing to give up a high round draft pick to move up 1 spot, but who knows? He could. It would cost a 4th or late 3rd round pick though (100 points to go from #5 to #4). And that's assuming the Browns wouldn't want a premium (the Broncos third round #71 pick, not their #99 pick).

Considering how many starters this team needs that's a high price to pay, but if Elway is convinced Allen is his QB of the future, then go for it. Unfortunately that would mean they don't really strengthen the team though. Since the roster just got worse, not better with the loss of players like Talib, Cody Latimer (special teams ace), Virgil Green, Kyle Pecko. None outside Talib were stars, but losing them all doesn't help.

And CJ Anderson may not be back either.

They have added virtually nobody of note in FA to fill gaping wounds at TE, RT, G, DT, ILB or CB.

So, the draft is all important. They keep talking about having 10 picks in this years' draft, but if they trade several of them away to get a QB who won't even start in 2018. . . .

SmilinAssasSin27
03-22-2018, 06:57 PM
I doubt highly that we move up at all. Consensus is 7-8 TOP players...4QB, Saquon, Chubb, Nelson and maybe Fitz. Why give up anything when you are guaranteed one of them and they are ALL position of need?

elsid13
03-22-2018, 07:20 PM
I doubt highly that we move up at all. Consensus is 7-8 TOP players...4QB, Saquon, Chubb, Nelson and maybe Fitz. Why give up anything when you are guaranteed one of them and they are ALL position of need?

There was story that Denver and Giants were talking. The NYG wanted to ensure Chubbs or Nelson was in the 5 spot before the trade happened.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-22-2018, 07:22 PM
There was story that Denver and Giants were talking. The NYG wanted to ensure Chubbs or Nelson was in the 5 spot before the trade happened.

And again I say...Liar season

That scenario is strategically impossible. You can't wait to trade 2 until you know what happens at 5.

elsid13
03-23-2018, 04:38 AM
Good read on Allen.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/03/jordan_palmer_on_browns_candid.html

Simple Jaded
03-25-2018, 12:07 AM
And again I say...Liar season

That scenario is strategically impossible. You can't wait to trade 2 until you know what happens at 5.

Strategery, it’s hard.

Simple Jaded
03-25-2018, 12:09 AM
Btw, I believe the Giants were once involved in a draft/trade scenario like this where the strategery work out for both teams.

Simple Jaded
03-25-2018, 01:10 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000922730/article/sources-tell-us-exec-says-josh-allen-is-2018-nfl-drafts-top-qb

“"Josh Allen is the best quarterback in this draft. I think all of the talk about his accuracy is the most overblown thing out there. His guys don't get open, which causes a lot of the incompletions -- it's not an accuracy issue." -- NFC executive

Cugel
03-25-2018, 08:31 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000922730/article/sources-tell-us-exec-says-josh-allen-is-2018-nfl-drafts-top-qb

“"Josh Allen is the best quarterback in this draft. I think all of the talk about his accuracy is the most overblown thing out there. His guys don't get open, which causes a lot of the incompletions -- it's not an accuracy issue." -- NFC executive

He could now be the #2 QB off the board to the Jets at #3. From the outside looking in Allen looked like the best prospect. That appears to now be about how the GMs are ranking him and Darnold - as ahead of Mayfield and Rosen.

I'm still hoping that all four are off the boards by 5 and the Broncos get Sequon Barkley.

topscribe
03-25-2018, 11:52 AM
He could now be the #2 QB off the board to the Jets at #3. From the outside looking in Allen looked like the best prospect. That appears to now be about how the GMs are ranking him and Darnold - as ahead of Mayfield and Rosen.

I'm still hoping that all four are off the boards by 5 and the Broncos get Sequon Barkley.
It's funny how the QBs have jockeyed around in their respective ranks. Mayfield was close
to #1, while Allen was a question mark. Then Mayfield's not even in the circle with the top
three. Darnold was always also in the talks for #1, but now Allen may be the first to fly off
the board.

If the Broncos select a QB, I'm going to be nervous, no matter who it is . . .

Cugel
03-25-2018, 11:56 AM
It's funny how the QBs have jockeyed around in their respective ranks. Mayfield was close
to #1, while Allen was a question mark. Then Mayfield's not even in the circle with the top
three. Darnold was always also in the talks for #1, but now Allen may be the first to fly off
the board.

The emerging consensus after the pro-days is Darnold #1, Allen #2, Mayfield or Rosen 3 or 4 in no discernible order.

Only if the Giants don't take a QB, and the Browns don't trade back will Barkley be on the boards at #5. And 3 of 4 QBs will be gone by #5.

Nomad
03-25-2018, 11:58 AM
the board.

It's an average QB class. Only a desperate team grabs a QB with their top pick. Like spraying frebreeze on a turd, only it still stinks once the fragrance is gone.

Dean
03-25-2018, 12:00 PM
The Broncos' history of drafting Qbs would make any fan extremely nervous. Decade after decade we have been dismal failures at that position.

Cugel
03-25-2018, 12:05 PM
The Broncos' history of drafting Qbs would make any fan extremely nervous. Decade after decade we have been dismal failures at that position.

What??? Aren't you forgetting the totally awesome Brian Griese?

And Tommy Maddox? He was a real champ.

Osweiler and Lynch are only the latest examples going back a very long time.

Poet
03-25-2018, 12:40 PM
You can't point to past regimes failing to draft a QB and then apply it to this one. This regime has failed once at drafting a QB, although it probably overachieved when it took Oz, tbh.

topscribe
03-25-2018, 12:44 PM
Well, actually, I don't think it's been as bad as we might believe. Since Elway in 1983 (I know,
we didn't draft him; I'm only using him as a starting point), we haven't really chosen many in
the first three rounds.

We took Tommy Maddox in the first round in 1992, which was a stupid choice, not necessarily
because of Maddox, but because the team had other needs. Regarding Maddox, he proved
later with the Steelers that the problem wasn't necessarily his when he was with the Broncos,
but that the problem was mainly that the Broncos had Elway.

The Broncos chose Brian Griese in the 3rd round in 1998, which initially was a very good
choice. He tanked only after he hurt his shoulder, but until then he was a pretty hot QB .

Of course, Culter came along in 2006, and he did pretty well with the Broncos on the field.
He always did throw more INTs than he should, but in his third year, IIRC, he led the
Broncos to the #2 offense in the league. It was only after he left and went to Chicago that
he tanked, but he went to a place where there was no one to take him under their wing
and continue to develop him, as he had here, and their putrid O-line couldn't protect him.
But, until then, he was considered a top QB in the league.

Brock Osweiler (2012) was sort of meh. He was somewhat of a semi-bust, but at least he
was taken in the 2nd round, not the first. But I hated that pick from the start, especially
in that Foles, with whom I was familiar and was a much better QB, was taken in the 3rd
round. (As a side note, many might question whether Foles is a one-year wonder, but in
his second year he was selected to the Pro Bowl, and it was only with the Rams, under
the notorious Fisher, that he had what could be considered a "bad" season.)

Of course, we get to Paxton Lynch, whom the Broncos moved back into the first round for
in 2016. Many, perhaps most, consider him a bust. I don't . . . yet. I just don't believe he
has had a bonafide chance to prove himself with his injuries and all, having played all of
four (4) regular season games in the NFL. So I don't yet consider him as a draft failure.
I simply have to see more of him . . . and so does Elway, as he expressed.

So, as you look at the Broncos' history of high-round QB selections, only Osweiler stands
out as a bust from the start, IMO. Maddox might "qualify," but he did well, once out from
Elway's shadow.

That's my take, FWIW.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-25-2018, 02:11 PM
You can't point to past regimes failing to draft a QB and then apply it to this one. This regime has failed once at drafting a QB, although it probably overachieved when it took Oz, tbh.

Well said, and the fact TS even got on the field is a positive.

Simple Jaded
03-25-2018, 02:17 PM

And what about QB, what’s your “hope” there?

broncofaninfla
03-26-2018, 09:37 AM
I like Allen a lot but don't think he'll be ready to start for another year or two which with the addition of Keenum may not be an issue. If I had my choice though I'd take Mayfield if he's there and I'm looking for a QB. Mayfield was the better of the two at the Senior Bowl practice. With that said I think there is a chance Denver passes on a QB all together and goes with CB Fitzpatrick given Talib is gone and Roby will be a free agent soon.

elsid13
03-26-2018, 06:41 PM
What??? Aren't you forgetting the totally awesome Brian Griese?

And Tommy Maddox? He was a real champ.

Osweiler and Lynch are only the latest examples going back a very long time.

Jeff Lewis. #DropMIC

elsid13
03-26-2018, 06:42 PM
I like Allen a lot but don't think he'll be ready to start for another year or two which with the addition of Keenum may not be an issue. If I had my choice though I'd take Mayfield if he's there and I'm looking for a QB. Mayfield was the better of the two at the Senior Bowl practice. With that said I think there is a chance Denver passes on a QB all together and goes with CB Fitzpatrick given Talib is gone and Roby will be a free agent soon.

Fitzpatrick is hybrid FS and not a CB.

Jsteve01
03-26-2018, 10:01 PM

They didn't overachieve with that pic. When they chose Brock Russell Wilson Nick Foles and Kirk Cousins were still on the board. Now I don't think a lot of people figured that any of those guys would be any good. But I can say but I was a huge Wilson fan and our whole reasoning for drafting Brock because he was a younger player was just erroneous at best. Then you toss in the fact that he happened to be Jack Elway's roommate and our decision-making was Highly Questionable

Jsteve01
03-26-2018, 10:03 PM
We can talk trash about Brian Griese all we want. He had an odd personality and limited physical ability. But he was tearing it up prior to literally tearing up his shoulder. Had a very very good season that year. The injury just compounded problems with an already weak arm

Poet
03-26-2018, 10:12 PM
They didn't overachieve with that pic. When they chose Brock Russell Wilson Nick Foles and Kirk Cousins were still on the board. Now I don't think a lot of people figured that any of those guys would be any good. But I can say but I was a huge Wilson fan and our whole reasoning for drafting Brock because he was a younger player was just erroneous at best. Then you toss in the fact that he happened to be Jack Elway's roommate and our decision-making was Highly Questionable

They overachieved in regards to what they got out of Brock, who was a strong armed guy with nothing else going for him. Not mechanics, not mobility, not accuracy, nothing. They turned him into a guy who is a borderline starter in the league, and who very well could have been a solid starter, albeit never great.

Hawgdriver
03-26-2018, 10:14 PM
TS >> Brock...

Cugel
03-26-2018, 10:25 PM
Well said, and the fact TS even got on the field is a positive.

The fault certainly wasn't with Trevor Siemian. He vastly exceeded expectations, which for a 7th round QB is "a nice training camp arm that didn't cost the Broncos anything but a 7th round pick." In short, 7th rounders are throw-away picks. If they amount to anything it's a plus.

Mostly they are cut in training camp and never leave a ripple.

It's Elway's fault that the Broncos didn't have a better plan than "let's throw Paxton and Trevor at a wall and see if either of them sticks."

Now they have a sensible Qb in place, who can start for the next two years. If in that time they get a developmental QB who doesn't suck that guy can take over in 2020. If not, it's back to the draft.

Simple Jaded
03-26-2018, 10:39 PM
The fault certainly wasn't with Trevor Siemian. He vastly exceeded expectations, which for a 7th round QB is "a nice training camp arm that didn't cost the Broncos anything but a 7th round pick." In short, 7th rounders are throw-away picks. If they amount to anything it's a plus.

Mostly they are cut in training camp and never leave a ripple.

It's Elway's fault that the Broncos didn't have a better plan than "let's throw Paxton and Trevor at a wall and see if either of them sticks."

Now they have a sensible Qb in place, who can start for the next two years. If in that time they get a developmental QB who doesn't suck that guy can take over in 2020. If not, it's back to the draft.

TS > CK

It’s science.

Poet
03-26-2018, 11:47 PM
TS was trash and proved to be a horrible starter. You shouldn't be in the league if you can't complete 60% of your passes...and he can't.

Cugel
03-27-2018, 12:15 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post

I don't think anybody can be blamed for not drafting Foles or Wilson, let alone Kirk Cousins. Not one GM thought enough of any of them to draft them in the top 2 rounds - which is where every team tries to find their franchise QBs. Usually the top 15 picks of the first round.

Nobody had any idea Cousins would ever become a starter - especially not the Redskins. Cousins was Shanahan's guy but ownership had just invested massively in RGIII and wanted him to play, not Cousins. They fired Shanahan over this issue, tried to re-commit to RGIII and watched him flame out.

That was the beginning of the Cousins - Redskins rift that led to Cousins leaving as a FA, and the Redskins having to give up a bunch of picks to trade for Alex Smith.

As for Foles, nobody before this season thought he could play at all. The jury is still out on that one. Was his SB run a kind of Joe Flacco 2012 fluke?

The Broncos wanted a young QB to groom behind Peyton, but they weren't sure Peyton would last more than 1 year. So, they drafted Osweiler and the rest is history. Not a good history of course.

It could have been worse of course, Osweiler could have finished earning $37m guaranteed from the Broncos!

Simple Jaded
03-27-2018, 12:22 PM
TS was trash and proved to be a horrible starter. You shouldn't be in the league if you can't complete 60% of your passes...and he can't.

After everything TS has done for you? Smdh

Poet
03-27-2018, 01:11 PM
After everything TS has done for you? Smdh

Yeah, he did a lot...being on par with Johnny Manziel.

TXBRONC
03-28-2018, 08:51 AM
Btw, I believe the Giants were once involved in a draft/trade scenario like this where the strategery work out for both teams.

Are you talking about when they traded picks with the Chargers?

topscribe
03-28-2018, 12:58 PM
As for Foles, nobody before this season thought he could play at all. The jury is still out on that one. Was his SB run a kind of Joe Flacco 2012 fluke?
Except me and possibly any other UA fans. I didn't like the Osweiler selection because I wanted
the Broncos to take Foles. And I can't say I was wrong. Foles did make the Pro Bowl in his
second year. He did have a bit off a fall off the next year, although not terribly badly. I'm not
sure what happened there because I lost touch with the Eagles. But then he went to the
Rams to suffer under the Fisher curse (see Keenum, Case).

Foles then went to the Chiefs, where he played in only four games, starting one (which he won).
His passer rating during that short stint was 105.9, and he threw no INTs. So, while last year
was a surprise to many, I saw only the Foles I have seen since his college days. And the Eagles
refuse to let him go, even for high draft choices, which says a lot.

I don't think the Broncos would have done badly with Foles, and I don't think they did badly with
Keenum . . . any worse than they would have done with Cousins, IMO. I know others here will be
happy to disagree with me, and I could be wrong, but we'll see . . .

But I am glad Osweiler bolted from the Broncos when he did.

slim
03-28-2018, 01:44 PM
Except me and possibly any other UA fans. I didn't like the Osweiler selection because I wanted
the Broncos to take Foles. And I can't say I was wrong. Foles did make the Pro Bowl in his
second year. He did have a bit off a fall off the next year, although not terribly badly. I'm not
sure what happened there because I lost touch with the Eagles. But then he went to the

Foles then went to the Chiefs, where he played in only four games, starting one (which he won).
His passer rating during that short stint was 105.9, and he threw no INTs. So, while last year
was a surprise to many, I saw only the Foles I have seen since his college days. And the Eagles

I don't think the Broncos would have done badly with Foles, and I don't think they did badly with
Keenum . . . any worse than they would have done with Cousins, IMO. I know others here will be

I remember you pimping Foles back in the day. You were right.

topscribe
03-28-2018, 01:47 PM
I remember you pimping Foles back in the day. You were right.
I love you when you're not in busting mode. :D

SmilinAssasSin27
03-28-2018, 05:57 PM

I was about to write something similar. But you already nailed it.

Simple Jaded
03-28-2018, 08:58 PM
Foles > Brent > CK6 > CK4

Cugel
03-28-2018, 09:35 PM

There were obviously several much better options the Broncos could have selected other than Osweiler, and Foles is one of them. Keenum and Cousins and Russell Wilson too.

This is an Elway pattern in drafting crap when there are much better options staring him in the face. He did it when he drafted Cody Latimer, when Jarvis Landry and Allen Robinson were both taken a few picks later and Devonta Freeman was actually drafted in the fourth round - well after Denver took Michael Schofield.

"Round and round and round it goes and where it stops nobody knows!"