PDA

View Full Version : Foles For a 2nd and 3rd?

OrangeHoof
03-07-2018, 01:32 PM
Two reports stated that an anonymous AFC team had approached the Eagles and offered their second-round pick for QB Nick Foles. The Eagles' response was "that's nice. we'll wait and get back to you." He is still under contract on a back-up's salary for one more year (so the Eagles don't have to trade him but it makes sense to do so while his market value is high).

Would/should the Broncos get in on the bidding? I think our second and third-rounders plus Trevor Siemian is a good offer that frees up our first-round pick for something besides a quarterback. With a starting quarterback in the folder, the Broncos also open themselves for potential trade downs in the first round to quarterback-hungry teams.

I realize Fanspeak isn't real-world but I did such an exercise and dealt my 2nd and 3rd for Foles then traded down from the 5th pick to the 11th pick with Miami (adding back Miami's second-rounder) and came away with the highest OT on the board, Mike McGlinchey of Notre Dame, then added OG Will Hernandez in the second round.

If I came away with Foles, McGlinchey and Hernandez, I've upgraded the offense without spending a lot of money and left room for Lynch/Kelly to continue developing before we cut them loose. If Foles does a great job, he'll be easy to re-sign. If he doesn't, you've got options for 2019.

Any of you sold on one of the rookie quarterbacks as the next Wentz, you're probably not sold on the trade idea. If you see all of them needing development, like I do, this is a good one-year band-aid until we decide who our QBOTF is.

dogfish
03-07-2018, 01:41 PM
good lord, no. . . pay that much draft capital for a one year rental, and then still have to shell out big cash if you want to keep him? that is literally the worst option available. . .

CoachChaz
03-07-2018, 02:16 PM
2nd round pick on the contingency that he signs a 3-4 year extension at no more than 20 mil. And I only go that high because it seems to be the nature of the beast right now.

And if Hernandez is available at the 11th pick in the 2nd round, it's only because he robbed a liquor store or smoked weed through a gas mask the night before the draft.

Rick
03-07-2018, 02:46 PM
Good lord no...maybe if he proves he is worth the price some day.

Not paying a second let alone a second AND third for a guy with a couple of good games in the last few years.

MOtorboat
03-07-2018, 02:56 PM
good lord, no. . . pay that much draft capital for a one year rental, and then still have to shell out big cash if you want to keep him? that is literally the worst option available. . .

The only way a trade goes through for Foles for any team is if Foles signs an extension.

CoachChaz
03-07-2018, 03:04 PM
The only way a trade goes through for Foles for any team is if Foles signs an extension.

Which also basically gives Foles a no trade clause because he can refuse to negotiate depending on the team.

topscribe
03-07-2018, 03:19 PM
Two reports stated that an anonymous AFC team had approached the Eagles and offered their second-round pick for QB Nick Foles. The Eagles' response was "that's nice. we'll wait and get back to you." He is still under contract on a back-up's salary for one more year (so the Eagles don't have to trade him but it makes sense to do so while his market value is high).

Would/should the Broncos get in on the bidding? I think our second and third-rounders plus Trevor Siemian is a good offer that frees up our first-round pick for something besides a quarterback. With a starting quarterback in the folder, the Broncos also open themselves for potential trade downs in the first round to quarterback-hungry teams.

I realize Fanspeak isn't real-world but I did such an exercise and dealt my 2nd and 3rd for Foles then traded down from the 5th pick to the 11th pick with Miami (adding back Miami's second-rounder) and came away with the highest OT on the board, Mike McGlinchey of Notre Dame, then added OG Will Hernandez in the second round.

If I came away with Foles, McGlinchey and Hernandez, I've upgraded the offense without spending a lot of money and left room for Lynch/Kelly to continue developing before we cut them loose. If Foles does a great job, he'll be easy to re-sign. If he doesn't, you've got options for 2019.

Any of you sold on one of the rookie quarterbacks as the next Wentz, you're probably not sold on the trade idea. If you see all of them needing development, like I do, this is a good one-year band-aid until we decide who our QBOTF is.
I wouldn't consider that such a bad deal. That would be a significant upgrade of the offense, which is
what they should be after. Problem is, it probably isn't realistic since Wentz is not a sure thing to start
the season, in which they would still want Foles under tow.

underrated29
03-07-2018, 03:53 PM
Only qb i am trading for is luck.....A big hell no to all other qb trades

dogfish
03-07-2018, 04:03 PM
2nd round pick on the contingency that he signs a 3-4 year extension at no more than 20 mil. And I only go that high because it seems to be the nature of the beast right now.

Which also basically gives Foles a no trade clause because he can refuse to negotiate depending on the team.

oh man, screw that. . . having to drastically overpay a QB is plenty bad enough. . . also surrendering valuable draft picks on top of it is just stupidity. . . at that point you may as well just blow your wad on AJ mccarron or whoever, and at least keep your draft picks. . . i think i'm all in on cousins as far as free agency goes. . . if we're going to break the bank regardless, pay a little extra and get the guy who's at least good. . .

we'll probably get caught in between, though. . . paying foolish money to a journeyman, career backup type, then spending a high draft pick on a rookie to sit the bench while the journeyman loses games. . . right after we cut good, useful vets to make cap room for the crappy QB. . .

OrangeHoof
03-07-2018, 04:07 PM
Cousins is history. Reports say he is down to the Jets or the Vikings.

CoachChaz
03-07-2018, 04:25 PM
oh man, screw that. . . having to drastically overpay a QB is plenty bad enough. . . also surrendering valuable draft picks on top of it is just stupidity. . . at that point you may as well just blow your wad on AJ mccarron or whoever, and at least keep your draft picks. . . i think i'm all in on cousins as far as free agency goes. . . if we're going to break the bank regardless, pay a little extra and get the guy who's at least good. . .

we'll probably get caught in between, though. . . paying foolish money to a journeyman, career backup type, then spending a high draft pick on a rookie to sit the bench while the journeyman loses games. . . right after we cut good, useful vets to make cap room for the crappy QB. . .

I have to disagree on Foles being backup fodder. He looked really good in Philly until Chip Kelly ****** him up after a really good year...then went to LAR, where Fisher screws up everyone (see: Goff), then he goes back to Philly and looked pretty good again. Proof that you either have to have the right QB for YOUR system or modify a system to benefit your QB. Now I'm not saying he's a top 10 QB, but at the right price, he has proven he can win some big games with quality talent around him.

Canmore
03-07-2018, 04:29 PM
I have to disagree on Foles being backup fodder. He looked really good in Philly until Chip Kelly ****** him up after a really good year...then went to LAR, where Fisher screws up everyone (see: Goff), then he goes back to Philly and looked pretty good again. Proof that you either have to have the right QB for YOUR system or modify a system to benefit your QB. Now I'm not saying he's a top 10 QB, but at the right price, he has proven he can win some big games with quality talent around him.

Agree with you coach. I like Foles at least as a possibility.

DenBronx
03-07-2018, 05:01 PM
Cousins is history. Reports say he is down to the Jets or the Vikings.

Probably just going to be the Jets bc he wants the most money.

BroncoJoe
03-07-2018, 05:21 PM
I'd do it for our 2nd and our 99th pick in the 3rd, or #109 in the forth.

Sorry Cousin lovers - I'm just not down for incest at this point and think the end result could be disastrous. I'm also not sold on the QB's in this draft class.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-07-2018, 05:39 PM
I don’t know how anyone can know shit about Cousins right now. He’s not allowed to talk to anyone and no teams can talk to him. If they’re really desperate and dumb enough to risk it, they can probably go through a 3rd party but if I was Cousins, I’d want to sit down and talk to the HC and GM and find out what the plan is. A couple mil is not worth it to play for a coach who rubs you the wrong way or a team that has no direction.

DenBronx
03-07-2018, 05:43 PM
I don’t know how anyone can know shit about Cousins right now. He’s not allowed to talk to anyone and no teams can talk to him. If they’re really desperate and dumb enough to risk it, they can probably go through a 3rd party but if I was Cousins, I’d want to sit down and talk to the HC and GM and find out what the plan is. A couple mil is not worth it to play for a coach who rubs you the wrong way or a team that has no direction.

Well look at it from Cousins perspective. Who has the better HC out of all the teams available? Is VJ anything all that great? How is he going to be best for Cousins. VJ already seems way in over his head. Not sure how Min, NY and Arz all compare.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-07-2018, 05:49 PM
Well look at it from Cousins perspective. Who has the better HC out of all the teams available? Is VJ anything all that great? How is he going to be best for Cousins. VJ already seems way in over his head. Not sure how Min, NY and Arz all compare.

How many Superbowls have the Jets won in the last 4 decades? How about Minnesota? Whose GM is a HOF QB who knows what a QB wants and needs? That’s all I’m gonna say.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-07-2018, 06:30 PM
How many Superbowls have the Jets won in the last 4 decades? How about Minnesota? Whose GM is a HOF QB who knows what a QB wants and needs? That’s all I’m gonna say.

Aside from the arctic climate, Minnesota would be ideal. They draft as well as anyone. The city loves its team. They have good coaching. They have playmakers at WR. QB was the only thing keeping them back last year and they were still very good

Northman
03-07-2018, 06:44 PM

On this we agree. I think Foles got a raw deal in Philly the first time which made Kelly's failure as a HC that much more enjoyable.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-07-2018, 11:34 PM
Aside from the arctic climate, Minnesota would be ideal. They draft as well as anyone. The city loves its team. They have good coaching. They have playmakers at WR. QB was the only thing keeping them back last year and they were still very good

QFT. I just wanted to quote this for all the folks thinking Keenum is worth signing... seriously though, their entire team shit the bed vs Philly in that playoff game. Their defense was terrible, Keenum stunk, and they made zero adjustments to what Philly was doing. They looked like a Kubiak coached team. If your initial gameplan doesn’t work, be sure not to change anything...

Hawgdriver
03-08-2018, 12:05 AM
QFT. I just wanted to quote this for all the folks thinking Keenum is worth signing... seriously though, their entire team shit the bed vs Philly in that playoff game. Their defense was terrible, Keenum stunk, and they made zero adjustments to what Philly was doing. They looked like a Kubiak coached team. If your initial gameplan doesn’t work, be sure not to change anything...

So jealous...

WARHORSE
03-08-2018, 01:07 AM
No. We have a high second and two 3rds. Id rather use the first on one of the QBs, (Baker or Allen) and use those two picks for other needs.

Don't forget Swag Kelly now...... ;)

Cugel
03-08-2018, 03:09 PM

I was going to make that argument, but now I don't have to.

I don't think the Vikings will surpass the Eagles even if they get Cousins. They think they will.

But, the Eagles are getting the potential NFL MVP in Carson Wentz back this season, and have the SB MVP as a backup just in case.

They are simply a better team than the Vikings. Then there are other teams in the NFC - the Panthers still have Cam Newton, the NFL MVP in 2015, the Packers are getting Rogers back, the Rams have Goff who threw 28 TDs and only 7 picks in 2017, and are getting better all the time and have Wade Phillips in charge of their defense which just got an All-Pro in Marcus Peters to help their secondary.

The 49ers just got a QB in Garapolo and have a boat load of picks. They are a probable playoff team this year. Even the Redskins now have Alex Smith, while the Cowboys still have Dak Prescott. So, there's a LOT more good teams in the NFC.

In short there are a lot of up and coming teams in the NFC, while the AFC is still dominated by Brady and Roethlisberger, two ageing QBs who will probably both retire in the next 2 years, and there's nobody really behind them.

There is a lot easier path to the SB for Cousins in the AFC than the NFC, but the only AFC teams in competition for him are the Jets and Broncos. Of those Broncos are easily better.

CoachChaz
03-08-2018, 03:22 PM
I was going to make that argument, but now I don't have to.

I don't think the Vikings will surpass the Eagles even if they get Cousins. They think they will.

But, the Eagles are getting the potential NFL MVP in Carson Wentz back this season, and have the SB MVP as a backup just in case.

They are simply a better team than the Vikings. Then there are other teams in the NFC - the Panthers still have Cam Newton, the NFL MVP in 2015, the Packers are getting Rogers back, the Rams have Goff who threw 28 TDs and only 7 picks in 2017, and are getting better all the time and have Wade Phillips in charge of their defense which just got an All-Pro in Marcus Peters to help their secondary.

The 49ers just got a QB in Garapolo and have a boat load of picks. They are a probable playoff team this year. Even the Redskins now have Alex Smith, while the Cowboys still have Dak Prescott. So, there's a LOT more good teams in the NFC.

In short there are a lot of up and coming teams in the NFC, while the AFC is still dominated by Brady and Roethlisberger, two ageing QBs who will probably both retire in the next 2 years, and there's nobody really behind them.

There is a lot easier path to the SB for Cousins in the AFC than the NFC, but the only AFC teams in competition for him are the Jets and Broncos. Of those Broncos are easily better.

Add the fact that it took a miracle TD to get to the NFCCG in the first place...and having an easier path due to a Rodgers injury...and the Vikings daunting schedule this year.

dogfish
03-08-2018, 04:48 PM

i'd be more on board with this line of thinking if we'd shitcanned the clowns in charge and hired frank reich. . .

OrangeHoof
03-08-2018, 05:09 PM
i'd be more on board with this line of thinking if we'd shitcanned the clowns in charge and hired frank reich. . .

Does that include the de facto General Manager? I thought that was the reason Cousins was supposed to like it here.

dogfish
03-08-2018, 05:14 PM
Does that include the de facto General Manager? I thought that was the reason Cousins was supposed to like it here.

who, elway?

i was talking about vance. . .

OrangeHoof
03-08-2018, 05:25 PM
Vance is a plural?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-08-2018, 05:28 PM
So jealous...

Indeed

dogfish
03-08-2018, 05:33 PM
Vance is a plural?