PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Advantage In Cousins Sweepsteaks vs. the Vikings?

Cugel
03-03-2018, 06:31 AM
Sandy Clough on 104.3 the Fan: (http://1043thefan.com/category/podcast_player/?a=10017015&sid=1163&n=Sandy+Clough)

"Cousins is seeking a 3 or 4 year deal [not a five or six year deal as teams might prefer] giving him the chance of another Max Contract at age 33. Not unreasonable to foresee that possibility he would get another.

If this Charles Robinson report has validity, if Cousins is available for 3 or 4 years and you load up the guarantees just for those 3 or 4 years, you're not tied to him, you can walk away from him if you're not satisfied.

And Cousins, seeking fully guaranteed money each season would be good for him and might give the Broncos a little bit of an edge whereby that would be their way of doing business where they wouldn't frontload a six year contract, they just do it on a 3 year contract. So, you wouldn't take those giant salary cap hits that would in Cousins' case come close to 30 million dollars as a cap hit in those additional years (4-5-6). This shorter timeframe gives Cousins a concrete commitment and the ability to go back to the negotiating table for another big deal, just before his 33 birthday."

Apparently, some franchises don't like the approach to Cousins though, possibly including the coach of the Vikings:

"Giving Cousins the ability to go for another Max Contract in only 3 or 4 years might be seen as tilting the contract too much towards the player for some franchises, but not necessarily the Broncos."

One of those people who are wary of putting too much of the team's salary cap structure into one position, QB, might be Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer: "Part of the reason we've been winning games and staying in games is that we've been playing good defense, and we've been a smart team and all those things. I want to be very careful about taking away from our strength, and saying 'well. We're not going to be able to do this and we're not going to be able to do that anymore because of financial reasons.'

So, apparently the Vikings do not want to lose defensive players they are paying significant money to in order to lure Kirk Cousins, or at least their coach is pushing back against any attempt to do that by management, if such exists.

But, if the reports about the Broncos being "all-in" on Cousins are true, Elway is going to try his hardest to land Cousins, and will make whatever financial commitment he can to accomplish this task.

And that might mean he's willing to give the player such concessions as a nearly fully guaranteed contract, but one that is shorter than normal, thus not crippling the franchise with a long term deal if things don't work out.

In short, the guarantee would be less than people expect with a 5 or 6 year deal. Cousins gets a nearly fully guaranteed contract, the team gets a shorter deal so the guarantee is less and the possibility of dead cap space down the road is reduced.

Win-win. But only if you are willing to make sacrifices elsewhere.

And apparently, Elway has concluded that he can do it, partly by getting rid of Talib and his $12m guarantee, renegotiating CJ Anderson, etc.

There's even a possibility if the Broncos sign Cousins they could move up in the draft and get Sequon Barkley if the Browns don't take him #1, although perhaps not likely. It would certainly revolutionize the offense if they could pull that off though. Adding a top 10 QB plus a guy who will soon become one of the best, if not the best RB in the NFL would make a huge difference in the offense.

Pipe dream probably. But, a good one.

Jsteve01
03-03-2018, 10:24 AM
Sandy Clough on 104.3 the Fan: (http://1043thefan.com/category/podcast_player/?a=10017015&sid=1163&n=Sandy+Clough)

"Cousins is seeking a 3 or 4 year deal [not a five or six year deal as teams might prefer] giving him the chance of another Max Contract at age 33. Not unreasonable to foresee that possibility he would get another.

If this Charles Robinson report has validity, if Cousins is available for 3 or 4 years and you load up the guarantees just for those 3 or 4 years, you're not tied to him, you can walk away from him if you're not satisfied.

And Cousins, seeking fully guaranteed money each season would be good for him and might give the Broncos a little bit of an edge whereby that would be their way of doing business where they wouldn't frontload a six year contract, they just do it on a 3 year contract. So, you wouldn't take those giant salary cap hits that would in Cousins' case come close to 30 million dollars as a cap hit in those additional years (4-5-6). This shorter timeframe gives Cousins a concrete commitment and the ability to go back to the negotiating table for another big deal, just before his 33 birthday."

Apparently, some franchises don't like the approach to Cousins though, possibly including the coach of the Vikings:

"Giving Cousins the ability to go for another Max Contract in only 3 or 4 years might be seen as tilting the contract too much towards the player for some franchises, but not necessarily the Broncos."

One of those people who are wary of putting too much of the team's salary cap structure into one position, QB, might be Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer: "Part of the reason we've been winning games and staying in games is that we've been playing good defense, and we've been a smart team and all those things. I want to be very careful about taking away from our strength, and saying 'well. We're not going to be able to do this and we're not going to be able to do that anymore because of financial reasons.'

So, apparently the Vikings do not want to lose defensive players they are paying significant money to in order to lure Kirk Cousins, or at least their coach is pushing back against any attempt to do that by management, if such exists.

But, if the reports about the Broncos being "all-in" on Cousins are true, Elway is going to try his hardest to land Cousins, and will make whatever financial commitment he can to accomplish this task.

And that might mean he's willing to give the player such concessions as a nearly fully guaranteed contract, but one that is shorter than normal, thus not crippling the franchise with a long term deal if things don't work out.

In short, the guarantee would be less than people expect with a 5 or 6 year deal. Cousins gets a nearly fully guaranteed contract, the team gets a shorter deal so the guarantee is less and the possibility of dead cap space down the road is reduced.

Win-win. But only if you are willing to make sacrifices elsewhere.

And apparently, Elway has concluded that he can do it, partly by getting rid of Talib and his $12m guarantee, renegotiating CJ Anderson, etc.

There's even a possibility if the Broncos sign Cousins they could move up in the draft and get Sequon Barkley if the Browns don't take him #1, although perhaps not likely. It would certainly revolutionize the offense if they could pull that off though. Adding a top 10 QB plus a guy who will soon become one of the best, if not the best RB in the NFL would make a huge difference in the offense.

Pipe dream probably. But, a good one. everybody keeps complaining about how signing cousins handcuffs us and depletes roster talent and blah blah blah. I see it as the reverse. It gives us the opportunity to draft an amazing young Talent at a different position someone like Nelson or Barkley were virtual locks to be perennial all Pros. Or you could even get crazy and draft a Tremaine Edmunds to be your peace opposite Von Miller which would just wreak havoc on opposing offenses for years to come. I also like the fact that the shorter-term deal keeps the guy on edge. I see cousins is a guy who's extremely motivated anyways but you don't have to worry about him getting lazy in year three or four of his deal. Because it's a contract year.

Ziggy
03-03-2018, 11:26 AM
everybody keeps complaining about how signing cousins handcuffs us and depletes roster talent and blah blah blah. I see it as the reverse. It gives us the opportunity to draft an amazing young Talent at a different position someone like Nelson or Barkley were virtual locks to be perennial all Pros. Or you could even get crazy and draft a Tremaine Edmunds to be your peace opposite Von Miller which would just wreak havoc on opposing offenses for years to come. I also like the fact that the shorter-term deal keeps the guy on edge. I see cousins is a guy who's extremely motivated anyways but you don't have to worry about him getting lazy in year three or four of his deal. Because it's a contract year.

You can also get an extra year or two with the franchise tag if he plays up to expectations.

Cugel
03-03-2018, 11:32 AM
Cousins reportedly wants to go on the Peyton Manning tour where he will meet with ownership of several teams.

"The Broncos can only hope the deal is rich enough, salary structure is attractive enough, to land the biggest FA QB since Peyton Manning."

On the downside "Elway did say that Menelik Watson is part of the Broncos plans in 2018 at $8m a year." Urgh! They need a new T !

Cugel
03-03-2018, 11:34 AM
You can also get an extra year or two with the franchise tag if he plays up to expectations.

They would hope that he and the team would want to extend his contract so he can stay in Denver. The negotiations then would be rather like the Von Miller negotiations in that case where both sides want to get a deal done and it's just about working out the details.

dogfish
03-04-2018, 03:16 PM

not with kirk-- he's already been tagged twice. . .

Poet
03-04-2018, 03:49 PM

Crap! I was hoping that the tag limits stopped with the prior team, or a contract would reset all of them.

Cugel
03-04-2018, 04:05 PM
Crap! I was hoping that the tag limits stopped with the prior team, or a contract would reset all of them.

That was already litigated and the player won. I forget who.

You don't reset the franchise Tag, which is why the Redskins can't just tag and trade him and get a 2nd round pick like the Patriots got for Jimmy Garapolo. Except Garapolo had never been franchised, so the 49ers could do it for 2 years in a row.

If they franchised him again, and he signed it, the team that traded for him would get him for 1 year at $34.6m, and no way to keep him after 2018. Nobody would give anything for that 1 year rental. And then Cousins indicated that he would fight the tag anyway, and that would require an arbitration hearing, and possibly an appeal from that to the Federal District Court. In Brady's court case that wasn't resolved until September.

The Redskins can't hold Cousins on the roster till then because they would have to hold open the $34.6m salary cap hit. And they can't afford that.

So, apparently they are not going to franchise him. That was just typical Redskins stupidity in which they try to confuse their fans and the media into supporting management in it's efforts to not look like total morons for screwing up the Cousins negotiations. They got rid of all his weapons to sabotage him so they could either force him to stay in DC or else win the blame game.

But, he outperformed their expectations and now they just appear the fools they are.

DenBronx
03-04-2018, 04:08 PM

I wasnt aware that it didn't if you signed a 5 year contract. Maybe it changes after you have been double tagged in your first rookie deal???

Simple Jaded
03-04-2018, 07:53 PM
3-year-deal? Even better.

A 29 year old Cousins is barf, a 35 year old Cousins doesn’t interest me at all.

Jsteve01
03-05-2018, 12:10 PM
3-year-deal? Even better.

A 29 year old Cousins is barf, a 35 year old Cousins doesn’t interest me at all.

Ur lame

Poet
03-05-2018, 12:13 PM
Ur lame

I'm going to have to ask you to not disrespect my brother.

Steve, talk to me about the NTs in this class.

Simple Jaded
03-06-2018, 01:09 AM
I'm going to have to ask you to not disrespect my brother.

Steve, talk to me about the NTs in this class.

He sad.

dogfish
03-06-2018, 02:02 AM
we don't need a nosetackle anyway. . . if they want to upgrade to somebody better than mini-peko behind regular peko, we already have tyrique jarrett on the roster. . . if we do take a DL, we would want another five tech type, who can play inside on passing downs. . . that's the role demarcus walker was drafted for, and we do have shelby harris there as well. . . it would still make sense to add another at some point-- who knows if walker will pan out, or if the surgery really fixed wolfe's neck issues. . . but with gotsis showing up on early downs, it's not a top priority. . . just on defense, inside linebacker is a more immediate need, and corner will be as well if we do move on from talib. . . lots of holes, and history tells us JFE wants to plug as many of them as he can with cheap vets prior to the draft. . . gonna be an interesting off-season, for sure. . . if they do spend big on cousins on a shorter deal, it amps up the pressure even further to put solid pieces around him right away, which also increases the pressure to hit on draft picks who can not only contribute, but contribute quickly. . . this year's going to have more drama than a soap opera! they must be maneuvering frantically down at dove valley right about now, trying to put all these scenarios together. . .

Northman
03-06-2018, 05:58 AM
Apparently its going to be announced today that the Broncos and Cardinals are out of the Cousins sweepstakes. I hope its wrong but that was what i was hearing last night that was going to be confirmed today.

https://kfan.iheart.com/content/2018-03-05-report-kirk-cousins-sweepstakes-now-down-to-two-teams-vikings-jets/

CoachChaz
03-06-2018, 09:15 AM
Apparently its going to be announced today that the Broncos and Cardinals are out of the Cousins sweepstakes. I hope its wrong but that was what i was hearing last night that was going to be confirmed today.

https://kfan.iheart.com/content/2018-03-05-report-kirk-cousins-sweepstakes-now-down-to-two-teams-vikings-jets/

I'm perfectly OK with this...if indeed it does happen.

BroncoJoe
03-06-2018, 09:25 AM
I know teams can't talk with Cousins directly for another week or so, but can they be talking with his agent?

CoachChaz
03-06-2018, 09:34 AM
I know teams can't talk with Cousins directly for another week or so, but can they be talking with his agent?

Officially...no.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-06-2018, 09:37 AM

For us, yes... if we’re talking to him about Siemian (same agent). ;)

BroncoJoe
03-06-2018, 09:48 AM
Thanks guys.

Wondering how they could come to the conclusion that it's down to the Vikings and Jets then.

CoachChaz
03-06-2018, 10:00 AM
Thanks guys.

Wondering how they could come to the conclusion that it's down to the Vikings and Jets then.

Could be a lot of reasons. Maybe the agent or someone close to him leaked info...maybe simply a vibe...maybe a writer creating a story...maybe assumption that of the teams interested, Vikings can offer money and winning team and Jets can offer a ton of money. Who knows until next week.

Cugel
03-06-2018, 10:00 AM
Kirk Cousins free-agency sweepstakes will come down to the Jets and Vikings (https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/kirk-cousins-free-agency-sweepstakes-will-come-down-to-the-jets-and-vikings/)
Free-agent quarterback will take his time making his final decision

In the end, two teams, at most, will have a true opportunity to land Kirk Cousins.

And based on everything I heard last week at the combine I anticipate those teams being the New York Jets and the Minnesota Vikings. Cousins seems committed to wanting to step foot in his new team headquarters and get a feel for the place before making a six-year, $180M decision (or thereabouts) and given the nature of how this negotiation will transpire, that's going to eliminate some of his potential suitors really before the new league year and full blown free agency even begins.

. . . . By its very nature, the reality of either spending roughly $30M per year on a quarterback will dictate myriad other potential transactions that follow, both for the team paying him and for those still in need of a veteran quarterback when he signs elsewhere, so let's just play this out.

I've talked to numerous people involved in this process on all sides, and while the Cardinals, Broncos, Vikings and Jets have all made it clear they want to be in this thing to the end, no one on any of those teams or close to Cousins believes it makes any sense that he actually makes three or four visits. This is all happening in real time, for the player and those teams, and this is not a negotiating vacuum. At the same time Cousins is making his tour, Case Keenum, who several of these teams also are very high on, will be making his decision and so will less-sought after quarterbacks like AJ McCarron and Sam Bradford and Teddy Bridgewater – all who have the potential to be starting somewhere next season. To say nothing of Tyrod Taylor, who other teams still anticipate the Bills trading or releasing before his $6M roster bonus is due in a few weeks.

. . . .

the Vikings offer the best roster available, the team with the most recent playoff success and the clearest linear path to postseason glory. Never discredit the impact of that in a situation like this as well. Unless they end up landing Keenum previously at their price, I suspect the Vikings see this thing out and their presentation is attractive enough to want to see through from Cousins' standpoint as well. The Cardinals just hired a rookie head coach and face difficult roster decisions at other positions and don't have nearly the cap flexibility as other suitors, and the Broncos may be trending more to a rebuild than contention and came this close to firing their rookie head coach after last season.

The Broncos with Cousins are not contending for a SB in year one, but in year two? If they solve some problems, yes. They are certainly a lot closer than the Jets with a lot of elite defensive players still on the roster and few actual holes.

Offensively, they need a RT and RG, they need a TE and 3rd WR. So, realistically, they are 4 offensive players and maybe 3 defensive starters away.

But, none of that is much beyond the average turnover in the NFL season to season. Even the Vikings will probably change over some of their roster this off-season. Five or 6 new starters on offense and defense is about normal each year.

So, I don't necessarily believe all these reports. It's more likely that word is filtering out that Elway might not be willing to equal the Jets offer in terms of up front money (reportedly up to $50m).

If that were the case Cousins could have a choice of "do I take the most money or do I accept less money and go to the best team that is ready to win right now?" And those choices would be the Jets versus the Vikings.

If it has to be one of those teams I certainly hope it is the Jets. That way they aren't competing with the Broncos to draft a QB and trying to leap ahead of them in the draft or something.

But, it then means that the Broncos are competing for Case Keenum or Sam Bradford or signing Tyrod Taylor and drafting a QB and sucking for another 2 years.

Simple Jaded
03-06-2018, 10:32 PM
Yay, Case Keenum, the Rudy Rudeger of the NFL.

#KubiakThangs

We’re screwed!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-06-2018, 10:37 PM
Yay, Case Keenum, the Rudy Rudeger of the NFL.

#KubiakThangs

We’re screwed!

I’ll bet we could find a 2 fer 1 deal on Seattle MLS jerseys on the interwebs

Simple Jaded
03-06-2018, 10:55 PM
I’ll bet we could find a 2 fer 1 deal on Seattle MLS jerseys on the interwebs

What’s MLS?

Poet
03-06-2018, 11:00 PM
Man if we don't get Cousins or Rosen I'm going to be a sad ass dude in a sad ass mood.

Simple Jaded
03-06-2018, 11:04 PM
Man if we don't get Cousins or Rosen I'm going to be a sad ass dude in a sad ass mood.

There’s still Chad Swiggy.

DenBronx
03-06-2018, 11:06 PM

To be honest if we don't get Cousins I'll be sad. I don't think he is a top 5 QB but he is definitely top 10 and if we want to win now then he should be a no brainer. Draft someone else besides a QB.

With whatever we have left then go get Jimmy Graham at TE. Maybe trade up to get Barkley if the Browns dont take him #1 overall. Obviously this means getting rid of CJ and Talib. But our offense would be on another level.

Poet
03-06-2018, 11:07 PM
There’s still Chad Swiggy.

Oh joy.

broncofaninfla
03-07-2018, 11:12 AM
If I've learned anything in the years I've been following the NFL it's that you can't believe ANYTHING the media or teams are saying at this point. A lot of smoke and mirrors, it's part of the game all teams play by. My personal hope is that we go for AJM over Cousins IF they opt to add a QB in free agency.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-07-2018, 11:33 AM
What’s MLS?

Major League Soccer. It’s old but new!

Cugel
03-08-2018, 03:17 PM

Man, you might want to lube up your butt and assume the position, because it's not very likely the Broncos get either Cousins or Rosen!

If the reports about Cousins to the Vikings are true, then he's out. And Rosen is likely gone to the Giants at #2. Of course they are making noises about how they like other players, but this is the liar's season in the NFL when teams are all desperately trying to deflect attention from what everybody knows is their actual choices.

The Giants for instance want to convince teams they won't draft Rosen so they can see what some team would offer them for their pick. Who knows? It might be some absurdly great windfall in which case they move back in the draft a take a QB later. If not they draft Rosen like they always intended anyway.

CoachChaz
03-08-2018, 03:35 PM
Man, you might want to lube up your butt and assume the position, because it's not very likely the Broncos get either Cousins or Rosen!

If the reports about Cousins to the Vikings are true, then he's out. And Rosen is likely gone to the Giants at #2. Of course they are making noises about how they like other players, but this is the liar's season in the NFL when teams are all desperately trying to deflect attention from what everybody knows is their actual choices.

The Giants for instance want to convince teams they won't draft Rosen so they can see what some team would offer them for their pick. Who knows? It might be some absurdly great windfall in which case they move back in the draft a take a QB later. If not they draft Rosen like they always intended anyway.

I'll disagree solely because I have a good friend that is a scout for the Giants. Obviously, he isnt going to lay out their draft thoughts to me and while he is a lead scout, he doesnt make personnel decisions, but talking to him, I dont get the idea that the Giants have QB of the future as high of a priority as many think.

Again...mostly speculation based on limited information, but we'll see.

Rick
03-08-2018, 03:48 PM
It is possible that if they think Eli still has a number of years left if they just surround him with talent, that they think they can get a future QB later in the second or beyond.

CoachChaz
03-08-2018, 03:52 PM
It is possible that if they think Eli still has a number of years left if they just surround him with talent, that they think they can get a future QB later in the second or beyond.

If they can improve the OL and add a good RB and keep the team healthy...they are a playoff team. So, while QB may not be a pressing need right now, they also may not have this good of a draft pick again for some time. So, a project in a later round could make sense...or wait on a solid 2019 QB class. I also understand that they like Davis Webb quite a bit, so who knows.

Simple Jaded
03-08-2018, 09:58 PM
Major League Soccer. It’s old but new!

Oh god no! There’s some left over paint in the garage I could slap on the garage floor just to watch it dry, plus, I actually like the NoGuts and Avs ... I could play more golf, bowling, masterbation ... I’ll be ok.

Thanks for thinking of me though.

Simple Jaded
03-08-2018, 10:02 PM
Hell, I think I’d rather read a book ... they still have those, right?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-08-2018, 10:12 PM
Oh god no! There’s some left over paint in the garage I could slap on the garage floor just to watch it dry, plus, I actually like the NoGuts and Avs ... I could play more golf, bowling, masterbation ... I’ll be ok.

Thanks for thinking of me though.

Truthfully, I was only thinking of myself.

And my other sport is actually the UFC, not soccer

Poet
03-08-2018, 10:12 PM

Follow boxing, it's the better pure sport.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-08-2018, 10:15 PM
Follow boxing, it's the better pure sport.

We’ve had this discussion. I respect your outdated opinion my friend

Poet
03-08-2018, 10:19 PM
We’ve had this discussion. I respect your outdated opinion my friend

Your best striker gotten beaten by an old washed up guy, who had no real camp, who fought an aggressive style to appease the fans. Never forget that Floyd at his worst is better than your sport's best.

Never.

Forget.

That.

You.

Monster!

Simple Jaded
03-08-2018, 10:22 PM

Not sure I deserved that.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-08-2018, 10:47 PM
Not sure I deserved that.

I know I can do better, but it’s the off-season and the Broncos suck. You understand, right?

Simple Jaded
03-08-2018, 10:49 PM
I know I can do better, but it’s the off-season and the Broncos suck. You understand, right?

Good day!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-08-2018, 10:50 PM
Good day!
Good day to you sir!

Simple Jaded
03-08-2018, 10:51 PM
I said good day!

Poet
03-08-2018, 11:59 PM
Something good needs to happen!

Freyaka
03-09-2018, 01:32 PM
Something good needs to happen!

I just saved a ton of money by switching to Geico?

Cugel
03-10-2018, 11:41 AM
I'll disagree solely because I have a good friend that is a scout for the Giants. Obviously, he isnt going to lay out their draft thoughts to me and while he is a lead scout, he doesnt make personnel decisions, but talking to him, I dont get the idea that the Giants have QB of the future as high of a priority as many think.

Again...mostly speculation based on limited information, but we'll see.

If they don't get a Qb this season after landing in the #2 pick, they have rocks in their heads. How long do they think Eli is going to last? He just turned 37 and his play last season looked a lot like the end of Peyton's career. 19TDs, 13INTs and a QB rating of 80. They have to consider the possibility that he's playing his last season, or at most he has 2 more good years left.

They could take Barkley of course, but they will just be right back in the draft desperately looking for a QB in 2019 or 2020. Better to get one in house right now and be prepared when Eli retires. They could take someone like Darnold and develop him for 2 years behind Eli. That could look a lot like Garapolo if they are successful.

DenBronx
03-10-2018, 07:02 PM
So it looks like Cousins to the Vikings is pretty much a wrap.

27 mill a yr, 91 mill total on a 3 year deal, fully guaranteed.
http://www.totalprosports.com/2018/03/10/nfl-insider-kirk-cousins-will-reportedly-sign-with-vikings-for-27m-per-season/

TXBRONC
03-10-2018, 08:47 PM
So it looks like Cousins to the Vikings is pretty much a wrap.

27 mill a yr, 91 mill total on a 3 year deal, fully guaranteed.
http://www.totalprosports.com/2018/03/10/nfl-insider-kirk-cousins-will-reportedly-sign-with-vikings-for-27m-per-season/

They might have the scooped everyone else, it should have been picked up by one of bigger sports outlets by now because that was at 5:00 pm.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-10-2018, 09:19 PM
I said good day!

I say good DAY SIR!

HORSEPOWER 56
03-10-2018, 09:26 PM
They might have the scooped everyone else, it should have been picked up by one of bigger sports outlets by now because that was at 5:00 pm.

Or it’s just horseshit because teams can’t talk to Cousins legally until Monday. Tampering typically costs teams draft picks...