PDA

View Full Version : Plan B or C at QB

DenBronx
02-27-2018, 04:25 PM
Cecil Lammey is stating plan B included Case Keenum, Teddy Bridgewater and AJ McCarron. Plan C would be Sam Bradford. I want plan A, Kirk Cousins but with Minnesota in the mix this might make it really hard to get him.

So lets just take plan A out of this for a moment and look at plan B/C. I don't like plan C at all. I like Sam Bradford but he won't stay healthy. I don't know why the Broncos would even consider this option. Same with Bridgewater, his injury was gruesome and I don't see him ever being the same again.

That leaves Case Keenum and AJ McCarron who are both in the plan B spot. Keep in mind, IF we go plan B then we will most likely be drafting a QB in round 1 at pick 5. When you look at Keenums body of work is it really all that impressive? I know he is a Kubiak guy but what has he really done? Why spend 20 plus mill for that? Why not go with AJ who will be drastically cheaper than Keenum and maybe, just maybe has more upside. I know AJ only has a few games under his belt but so did Garapolo. This allows us to retain guys like Wolfe, Sanders or Talib and still build through the draft?

Again, my preferred choice is plan A but it might not be realistic and I think AJ with a rookie might be the route we take. That gives us 1 veteran, a rookie, Lynch and Kelly. Osweiler and Siemian would be gone.

Shazam!
02-27-2018, 06:22 PM
AJM with a rookie, Josh A, Josh R, or Mayfield seems to be a low risk upgrade at an affordable price. Cousins scares me to death, im sorry, hes as unproven as anyone else. Too expensive for an unproven QB.

Broncos need to shore up the Line to have any chance of moving up from the cellars. Can't afford to overpay anywhere.

Poet
02-27-2018, 06:40 PM
None of those guys are viable starters. If we don't get Cousins the only logical play is to draft a QB and start him. Case Keenum had a great single season...so what, he's a loser career backup. He's not the next Rich Gannon. Bridgewater and BRadford are health issues guys with declining talent.

If we can't get a top ten QB like Cousins then it's just time to take that young guy and stop trying to pretend like we're contenders with this roster. We're not.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-27-2018, 06:42 PM
It might be time to take up watching the MLS.

dogfish
02-27-2018, 07:56 PM
skip plans B and C. . . just draft a rookie and play him-- he's not going to learn on the bench, and none of those guys are worth what they're going to get. . .

dogfish
02-27-2018, 07:57 PM
AJM with a rookie seems to be a low risk upgrade at an affordable price.

not if you listen to NFL analysts-- they're all predicting AJ is going to get $18 million/year. . . that's not affordable at all. . .

Poet
02-27-2018, 08:03 PM
You don't buy a heavily upgraded Hyundai when you're really trying to get a Mercedes. You keep working to get a Mercedes.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-27-2018, 08:14 PM
not if you listen to NFL analysts-- they're all predicting AJ is going to get $18 million/year. . . that's not affordable at all. . .

Nor is he worth it. He’s started less games than Osweiler when Houston gave him that big contract. Frankly, I hope Cleveland signs him on the first day of FA so he’s off the board right away. Jackson already tried to trade for him, hopefully he still wants him.

Shazam!
02-27-2018, 09:23 PM
$18 million per is a bargain now

HORSEPOWER 56
02-27-2018, 09:30 PM
$18 million per is a bargain now

For a guy who started 3 games and lost 2 of them?

underrated29
02-27-2018, 09:34 PM
We will sign a vet. We know this is going to happen. Elway is not going to go into the season without one. He isn’t. He never has. He never will.

Knowing this, if we can’t get Kirk, I will want Bradford. He is the best out of all of those scrub qbs. Then we draft Rosen or Baker.

That’s it

DenBronx
02-27-2018, 09:37 PM
None of those guys are viable starters. If we don't get Cousins the only logical play is to draft a QB and start him. Case Keenum had a great single season...so what, he's a loser career backup. He's not the next Rich Gannon. Bridgewater and BRadford are health issues guys with declining talent.

If we can't get a top ten QB like Cousins then it's just time to take that young guy and stop trying to pretend like we're contenders with this roster. We're not.

I agree, and I do want us to draft a rookie if we don't get Cousins. However we do need a veteran. Who on our current roster could fill that role? Siemian or Osweiler? Can we win now with those guys while giving a rookie time to catch up to NFL speed? If we draft a rookie QB at 5 then he better be ready to start day 1. We can't miss in the top 5...which is scary bc our drafts have sucked.

My biggest fear is Case Keenum getting a boatload of cash to come here. This would be a huge mistake and maybe one that is a deciding factor on Elways future role here. He needs to hit a home run and work his magic this offseason. I hope he realizes that

DenBronx
02-27-2018, 09:38 PM
skip plans B and C. . . just draft a rookie and play him-- he's not going to learn on the bench, and none of those guys are worth what they're going to get. . .

So no veteran QB then? Just roll with the rookie, Lynch and Kelly? I can't see that happening. Someone has to help these guys.

DenBronx
02-27-2018, 09:43 PM
AJM with a rookie seems to be a low risk upgrade at an affordable price.

So lets say Minny get Cousins and Arizona goes after Keenum. Our only competition would be the Jets and I think they also want to draft a QB. Realistically who is going to pay AJ 18 mill a year? I think his market is closer to 12-15 a year depending on what happens in the next couple of months.

Hell, Siemians contract is going to be less than 2 mill. We have options and I think the only guy we break the bank for is Cousins.

dogfish
02-27-2018, 10:00 PM
So no veteran QB then?

not for 18 million, hell no. . . maybe we can just share matt hasselbeck with indy or something. . . bring the other mccown out of retirement. . . i see zero sense in cutting a guy like talib or sanders so we can afford to pay stupid money to the likes of AJ mccarron, sam bradford, or tyrod taylor. . . if tradition says you have to have a vet, fine-- as long as we can find a cheap one who's a mentor only, not a half-assed starter who's getting paid as much as von miller. . . if 16+ million per year is now "market value" for a shitty backup QB, then by all means, just keep trevor in that role. . . he's more experienced than freakin' AJ!

as i've said before, i'd rather pay 30 for kirk and actually get a good quarterback, than pay close to twenty for a guy who sucks. . . the bears didn't need to waste all that money on mike glennon, and we should learn from that example. . . gimme a minute, i want to pull up a FA chart and see who else is available. . . i wonder how much it would cost to re-sign brock. . . i just hate investing big in a guy who you won't win anything with. . .

Poet
02-27-2018, 10:04 PM
not for 18 million, hell no. . . maybe we can just share matt hasselbeck with indy or something. . . bring the other mccown out of retirement. . . i see zero sense in cutting a guy like talib or sanders so we can afford to pay stupid money to the likes of AJ mccarron, sam bradford, or tyrod taylor. . . if tradition says you have to have a vet, fine-- as long as we can find a cheap one who's a mentor only, not a half-assed starter who's getting paid as much as von miller. . . if 16+ million per year is now "market value" for a shitty backup QB, then by all means, just keep trevor in that role. . . he's more experienced than freakin' AJ!

as i've said before, i'd rather pay 30 for kirk and actually get a good quarterback, than pay close to twenty for a guy who sucks. . . the bears didn't need to waste all that money on mike glennon, and we should learn from that example. . . gimme a minute, i want to pull up a FA chart and see who else is available. . . i wonder how much it would cost to re-sign brock. . . i just hate investing big in a guy who you won't win anything with. . .

What you are saying reminds me of what the Bengals did with Jon Kitna. Found a smart veteran who was holding no angst regarding being a mentor.

Bringing back Brock is a better idea as a backup than paying for one of those guys. We're not trying to pay a guy who should be a bench QB big money because there is some upside to him. Nope. We're looking for someone who isn't that great, might be okay in a game or two, but who knows the game and isn't going to be picked up any time soon. Ironically, Sanchez could be our Kitna.

dogfish
02-27-2018, 10:14 PM
okay, here we go. . . if we just want a guy to start for six weeks until the rookie is "ready," then give me some schlub like oz, drew stanton, chad henne, derek anderson, matt moore, kellen clemens, blaine gabbert, EJ manuel, or TJ yates. . . go big or go home. . . what, are we going to the super bowl with vance joseph and sam bradford? i think it's foolish to pay for a premium backup/spot starter with this roster. . . VJ doesn't need a ferrari, or even a trans am-- he's just going to wreck it anyway. . .

if we're drafting a blue chip rookie, just play the kid. . . it didn't hurt guys like carr, wentz, or watson. . . let the kid take his lumps and learn from them. . .

honestly, i don't necessarily think you guys are wrong in saying that we'll sign a vet regardless. . . i'm just not a fan of paying big money to a mid-tier journeyman type. . . it's a waste of time as well as money. . .

DenBronx
02-27-2018, 11:20 PM
We just rolled over a little more than 10 mill and that's before we cut or renegotiate with anyone. This leaves us with around 27-28 mill currently.

MOtorboat
02-28-2018, 01:54 AM
We we just rolled over a little more than 10 mill and that's before we cut or renegotiate with anyone. This leaves us with around 27-28 mill currently.

There's plenty of money...

DenBronx
02-28-2018, 03:21 PM
We we just rolled over a little more than 10 mill and that's before we cut or renegotiate with anyone. This leaves us with around 27-28 mill currently.

There's plenty of money...

To do what?

Buff
02-28-2018, 03:22 PM
Paxton Lynch is the biggest question mark for me... I believe Elway is going to want to give him a 3rd season to develop as opposed to trading him for pennies on the dollar this offseason. Then he is also going to want to give Chad Kelly a chance in camp.

So you've got 2 QB slots already spoken for and I think it's unlikely either of them get cut. Assuming we bring 4 QBs to camp - it's hard to believe that the additional 2 would both be viable starters. And we know JFE will sign at least one veteran QB in free agency.

So the decision really hinges on whether you think AJM or Keenum are worth starter-type salaries, because they won't be available at a discount, you'd have to be committing to them. I wouldn't rule it out - but this seems like the riskiest path where you could end up paying a ton for not much production.

I think Elway will sign/trade for a Mark Sanchez equivalent in free agency who is cheap and draft a QB. A Josh McCown type might be perfect to mentor 3 young dudes and not insert his ego.

dogfish
02-28-2018, 06:24 PM
What you are saying reminds me of what the Bengals did with Jon Kitna. Found a smart veteran who was holding no angst regarding being a mentor.

Bringing back Brock is a better idea as a backup than paying for one of those guys. We're not trying to pay a guy who should be a bench QB big money because there is some upside to him. Nope. We're looking for someone who isn't that great, might be okay in a game or two, but who knows the game and isn't going to be picked up any time soon. Ironically, Sanchez could be our Kitna.

kitna, good call. . . you got his number?

dogfish
02-28-2018, 06:24 PM
I think Elway will sign/trade for a Mark Sanchez equivalent in free agency who is cheap and draft a QB. A Josh McCown type might be perfect to mentor 3 young dudes and not insert his ego.

can't we get one of the other mccown boys cheaper? they're all basically the same. . .

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-28-2018, 07:01 PM
Yep, definitely soccer

Poet
02-28-2018, 07:04 PM
Alright, I'm back on the Cousins wagon.

Hawgdriver
02-28-2018, 08:51 PM
Paxton Lynch is the biggest question mark for me... I believe Elway is going to want to give him a 3rd season to develop as opposed to trading him for pennies on the dollar this offseason. Then he is also going to want to give Chad Kelly a chance in camp.

So you've got 2 QB slots already spoken for and I think it's unlikely either of them get cut. Assuming we bring 4 QBs to camp - it's hard to believe that the additional 2 would both be viable starters. And we know JFE will sign at least one veteran QB in free agency.

So the decision really hinges on whether you think AJM or Keenum are worth starter-type salaries, because they won't be available at a discount, you'd have to be committing to them. I wouldn't rule it out - but this seems like the riskiest path where you could end up paying a ton for not much production.

He'd be fine rolling with Pax as the #2 for a rookie.

Damn. Now you got me thinking.

Swag is totally expendable. If he's not a legit QB competitor, he's the UDFA camp arm. Lynch is borderline cut.

What's the timing on signing free agent QBs? Will we know prior to draft if we have a Cousins/Keenum?

Buff
02-28-2018, 09:49 PM
He'd be fine rolling with Pax as the #2 for a rookie.

Damn. Now you got me thinking.

Swag is totally expendable. If he's not a legit QB competitor, he's the UDFA camp arm. Lynch is borderline cut.

What's the timing on signing free agent QBs? Will we know prior to draft if we have a Cousins/Keenum?

Knowing how Elway thinks - Swag ain't expendable. Look at how much he became attached to Brock. Look at how much rope Siemian got. His draft picks are his babies. Lynch is the opposite of borderline cut. He is completely safe from being cut - he's either on the roster or traded with absolutely no in-between.

Free agency starts March 14. We will know what the draft strategy is based on which veteran QB we sign.

Hawgdriver
02-28-2018, 09:55 PM
Knowing how Elway thinks - Swag ain't expendable. Look at how much he became attached to Brock. Look at how much rope Siemian got. His draft picks are his babies. Lynch is the opposite of borderline cut. He is completely safe from being cut - he's either on the roster or traded with absolutely no in-between.

Free agency starts March 14. We will know what the draft strategy is based on which veteran QB we sign.

You think Lynch would fetch a 7th? I can't judge these things.

Simple Jaded
02-28-2018, 10:23 PM

Cut/trading PL costs Denver cap room.

Buff
02-28-2018, 10:29 PM
Yeah I'd think a 7th/conditional 6th if he plays is what I'd expect a 1st rounder will fetch in their first rebound at minimum.

Hawgdriver
02-28-2018, 10:47 PM
Cut/trading PL costs Denver cap room.

This is why whiffing on your 1st round QB is so devastating.

dogfish
02-28-2018, 10:48 PM

if we keep him around, they should make his sorry ass run down and cover kickoffs. . . get some value out of that money, at least!

Poet
02-28-2018, 10:49 PM

This is why PL should have been handed the job. Let's say there was a five percent chance the year would have mattered and we'd be comfortable on the last make or break try for PL. Weigh that possibility vs. the odds that TS would have ever done anything (almost zero). This is why I was so adamant about the issue last summer because it was an ugly truth.

Simple Jaded
02-28-2018, 10:56 PM

If you can’t give a QB 3 years to develop then you can’t draft spread QB’s, worst thing for PL was switching systems twice in the span of 6 months.

He’s not the sharpest peanut in the turd to begin with.

Cugel
03-01-2018, 04:29 AM
We will sign a vet. We know this is going to happen. Elway is not going to go into the season without one. He isn’t. He never has. He never will.

Knowing this, if we can’t get Kirk, I will want Bradford. He is the best out of all of those scrub qbs. Then we draft Rosen or Baker.

That’s it

I want Bradford too. Case Keenum wants to be a starter and after playing well all season and getting his team to the NFC Championship Game he will get some team to pay him $20+ million a year. Fine. I don't see it being the Broncos but obviously Elway isn't telling me what his plans are.

With MN now ditching all their QBs (reportedly) Cousins might well be going to MN. The Jets are also reportedly considering fully guaranteeing Cousins entire contract ($120m+ ) which is routine in baseball, but has never happened in the NFL and isn't likely now.

So, if Cousins is off the table (looks increasingly likely) the Broncos will either decide that Keenum is good enough to offer a long term deal to, or else draft a QB at #5. Not both.

Cugel
03-01-2018, 04:54 AM
Look at the problem guys. No obvious solutions either.

If Cousins is off the table, that leaves the draft realistically. But, the Broncos don't have the #1 overall pick and there isn't even a consensus QB to take at #1, let alone #5.

Cleveland at #1 is obviously going to take a QB since they passed on Wentz and fired the GM who did that. Likely Sam Darnold because Rosen publicly stated he doesn't want to go to Cleveland while Darnold is fine with the idea of being paid like the #1 overall pick and Darnold supposedly has the "most upside". I have no comment, except that they don't have to disguise who they are interested in since they have the #1 pick and can take anybody they want and are unlikely to trade out of that pick.

Giants at #2. Eli was benched this season. Then they fired the GM and coach McAdoo and the new GM came in and said they are keeping Eli. But, he's 37 on his last legs; he might last 1 or at most 2 more years with declining play. Obviously they take a QB and just as obviously it will be Josh Rosen since the scouts consider him the most pro-ready.

I suppose they could fall in love with Josh Allen but (if the press is accurate) nobody considers Mayfield worth a top 2 pick. So, probably Rosen

So, Darnold and probably Rosen are off the boards when the Broncos pick. Plus, if the Jets don't land Cousins, then they probably want to take a QB and they pick 1 spot behind the Broncos and are in direct competition with them. They could decide to move up to #4 (Cleveland) or #3 Indy to get ahead of the Broncos to draft Josh Allen. So, the Broncos might even need to move up 1 or 2 spots in the draft - which would cost them a 2nd round pick or more.

I would hate that and so would Elway, but what choice does he have? He screwed the pooch on the Paxton Lynch draft and now he's desperate. The Jets are always desperate for QBs since they haven't had a really good one since Joe Namath.

IF the Broncos draft Josh Allen no way is he ready by week 1. They would need a veteran starter who would be willing and able to mentor a rookie QB and Sam Bradford would be the best one available.

Nobody is desperate to give Bradford the long term starting job, with his injury history, so they could probably sign him and still draft a rookie whereas Keenum wouldn't want to go anywhere the team is drafting a top 5 QB.

AJ McCarron and Teddy Bridgewater are less viable. McCarron as was pointed out, has what? 3 starts? Basically a repeat of the Osweiler to Houston deal, you're buying a pig in a poke. No way to tell whether he will pan out.

Bridgewater's knee was pretty bad. Despite the love that they showed Bridewater this year they are unlikely to keep him if he wins his arbitration hearing to become an UFA.

As Adam Schefter says on ESPN "Bradford's injury history means they can't rely on him. Bridgewater's injury means they can't rely on him." They have to franchise Keenum and then see if they can land Cousins.

ESPN's take on Jets probable offer: (http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22347565/kirk-cousins-2018-nfl-free-agency-sweepstakes-seven-offers-sign-quarterback-picking-best)
Total years and value: Five for $150 million
Average per year: $30 million
Full guarantee at signing: $72 million
Total guarantee: $90 million
Three-year payout: $52 million after Year 1, $72 million after Year 2, $90 million after Year 3.

The Jets can make Cousins the highest-paid player in the league without significantly hurting their ability to build a strong supporting cast around him. They have approximately $73 million in salary-cap room, and that amount will exceed $90 million once they're finished with veteran cuts. In other words, they have the flexibility to address their biggest needs on offense -- center, tight end and wide receiver. They can welcome Cousins to New Jersey with a nice housewarming gift in the form of Allen Robinson or another playmaker.

Cugel
03-01-2018, 04:56 AM
BTW: ESPN is reporting that "sources close to the Broncos" are indicating the Broncos have interest in Keenum. That rumor is likely similar to most rumors at this point of the off-season - a smoke screen.

Lots of misinformation out there these days.

Cugel
03-01-2018, 05:04 AM
This is why PL should have been handed the job. Let's say there was a five percent chance the year would have mattered and we'd be comfortable on the last make or break try for PL. Weigh that possibility vs. the odds that TS would have ever done anything (almost zero). This is why I was so adamant about the issue last summer because it was an ugly truth.

They tried. They really wanted him to win the starting job and created a "QB contest" despite TS being the incumbent.

Lynch fumbled his chance because he sucks. Over and done. Elway may be stubborn and keep him on the roster, but no way will Paxton Lynch ever be a successful starter in this league. Probably he's a total washout, but they will probably keep him around to "develop" for another year.

God help the Broncos if they ever have to use him for anything serious.

CoachChaz
03-01-2018, 09:36 AM
So much easier to just draft a kid at 5

underrated29
03-01-2018, 10:17 AM
Broncos believe that they are the front runners for kirky. They think so. My guess is when talking to siemian agent who happens to be kirks agent. A 2-4 year Deal w high guarantees. If not it’s a Viking qb and a rookie at 5.

Poet
03-01-2018, 11:19 AM
They tried. They really wanted him to win the starting job and created a "QB contest" despite TS being the incumbent.

Lynch fumbled his chance because he sucks. Over and done. Elway may be stubborn and keep him on the roster, but no way will Paxton Lynch ever be a successful starter in this league. Probably he's a total washout, but they will probably keep him around to "develop" for another year.

God help the Broncos if they ever have to use him for anything serious.

You don't have to 'try'. You just name the starter the starter.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-01-2018, 11:21 AM
Sam Bradford is garbage. 18+ mil for the guy to start a game or two before he ends up broken again...

**** that!

Cousins or a rookie (and start his ass) at 5.

CoachChaz
03-01-2018, 11:23 AM
Bradford and Baker and I'm happy

Shazam!
03-01-2018, 11:48 AM

Amen bro. I want the hot young QB which is as much of a ? Mark as a high priced vet. Then look right at Linemen.

Buff
03-01-2018, 11:58 AM
Bradford and Baker and I'm happy

Then draft Zeus and hire Bob Stoops as our head coach. #Championship

Poet
03-01-2018, 12:17 PM
If Coach rides with Baker then dammit so do I!

But Rosen will be better.

CoachChaz
03-01-2018, 12:23 PM
Then draft Zeus and hire Bob Stoops as our head coach. #Championship

I think there could be value in both being from OU. Could be a kick start for a good mentoring scenario and the adjustment from a Stoops offense to the NFL. Despite injuries, Bradford has been able to make that adjustment and could help Mayfield...who I think will be fine regardless.

CoachChaz
03-01-2018, 12:25 PM
If Coach rides with Baker then dammit so do I!

But Rosen will be better.

Gotta admit, I have the same reservations about Rosen as others do. I'm just not convinced he will be able to avoid the injury bug in the NFL. It's one thing to draft and fail on a guy because you like his size and arm strength...it's another to get a quality player that can't stay on the field.

Buff
03-01-2018, 12:25 PM
I think there could be value in both being from OU. Could be a kick start for a good mentoring scenario and the adjustment from a Stoops offense to the NFL. Despite injuries, Bradford has been able to make that adjustment and could help Mayfield...who I think will be fine regardless.

There is a story on PFT about Bradford's knee being degenerative... Seems like a situation we ought to avoid... But perhaps if he is willing to take pennies on the dollar at this point.

I actually like Zeus and Stoops, and wouldn't hate Mayfield (though I think he's too risky at #5) - so I was only half joking with this proposal.

CoachChaz
03-01-2018, 12:28 PM
There is a story on PFT about Bradford's knee being degenerative... Seems like a situation we ought to avoid... But perhaps if he is willing to take pennies on the dollar at this point.

I actually like Zeus and Stoops, and wouldn't hate Mayfield (though I think he's too risky at #5) - so I was only half joking with this proposal.

I'm not looking for Bradford to be the "answer". Just a short term vet and mentor at a reasonable price. If he goes down after 2 games there is still value as a mentor and I have no problem with a rookie starting in his first year. I am not of the delusion that we will go from 5-11 to Super Bowl champion in one off-season.

Buff
03-01-2018, 12:32 PM
I'm not looking for Bradford to be the "answer". Just a short term vet and mentor at a reasonable price. If he goes down after 2 games there is still value as a mentor and I have no problem with a rookie starting in his first year. I am not of the delusion that we will go from 5-11 to Super Bowl champion in one off-season.

Yeah if we could get him at a discount I like it... My assumption is that guys like him, AJM, Keenum are going to be too expensive relative to what we need them to do (stopgap) - so let's step down a tier for similar production and cost savings.

dogfish
03-01-2018, 12:36 PM
want a cheap bridge plan? gentlemen, can i interest you in blaine gabbert?

Poet
03-01-2018, 12:43 PM
Gotta admit, I have the same reservations about Rosen as others do. I'm just not convinced he will be able to avoid the injury bug in the NFL. It's one thing to draft and fail on a guy because you like his size and arm strength...it's another to get a quality player that can't stay on the field.

Baker Mayfield is smaller and and anyone can get concussions.

You don't write off a potentially elite QB because he got banged up in college.

Poet
03-01-2018, 12:43 PM
I wouldn't mind taking a look at Glennon, either.

CoachChaz
03-01-2018, 12:51 PM
I think guys like Gabbert and Glennon are reclamation projects that are looking for scenarios where they can be the long term answer. If we are indeed going to draft a QB, than I prefer the veteran with starting experience. Yeah...it may cost more, but spending 15-20 mil over a year or two for that kind of player still opens up a lot of opportunity for other areas in free agency. Assuming we release or trade the likes of Talib, CJ, Watson, Fowler, etc., we will be in really good cap shape to afford 17 mil on a vet and still find decent OL, TE, LB, etc.

underrated29
03-01-2018, 12:51 PM

This. AD was considered glass when he came out.

underrated29
03-01-2018, 12:52 PM
I wouldn't mind taking a look at Glennon, either.

Not this. No

NO!!!!

CoachChaz
03-01-2018, 12:52 PM

I'm really not referring to his size or his build...just questioning his toughness. Mayfield is smaller, but a hell of a lot tougher. And yes...concussions and should injuries can happen to anyone, but the next time it happens to Mayfield, etc., it will be the first time...not the 3rd or 4th.

dogfish
03-01-2018, 12:53 PM
can we get sam on a pay as you go basis? like a million for every game he's actually available for?

CoachChaz
03-01-2018, 12:56 PM
can we get sam on a pay as you go basis? like a million for every game he's actually available for?

Incentive laden contracts. Bonuses paid for games started. Offer like 15 mil with another 1 million bonus for every 4 games played. Value up to 19 mil. If he plays all 16 at a high level, then it's worth it.

underrated29
03-01-2018, 01:00 PM
I'm really not referring to his size or his build...just questioning his toughness. Mayfield is smaller, but a hell of a lot tougher. And yes...concussions and should injuries can happen to anyone, but the next time it happens to Mayfield, etc., it will be the first time...not the 3rd or 4th.

This is why I like mayfield. He is tough and hes been shat on everywhere he has been and yet he has still succeeded. Quite well, in fact. Otherwise, honestly I do not like how he reads the field, etc etc etc. BUt I like winners. Shit, tebow took us to the playoffs because he was a winner. I see that with Mayfield only he is a much better QB.

Rosen to me is a brady. Reminds me so much of Brady it is insane.
Mayfield to me is like a romo and big ben mix. Romo as the QB, bigben with the never say die.

CoachChaz
03-01-2018, 01:09 PM
This is why I like mayfield. He is tough and hes been shat on everywhere he has been and yet he has still succeeded. Quite well, in fact. Otherwise, honestly I do not like how he reads the field, etc etc etc. BUt I like winners. Shit, tebow took us to the playoffs because he was a winner. I see that with Mayfield only he is a much better QB.

Rosen to me is a brady. Reminds me so much of Brady it is insane.
Mayfield to me is like a romo and big ben mix. Romo as the QB, bigben with the never say die.

After the skills, the most important trait of a QB is the intangibles. I think Mayfield has more intangibles than any QB that has come along in quite a while. I just hope he's there at #5. Cleveland could think the same way and nab him first.

MOtorboat
03-01-2018, 01:48 PM
After the skills, the most important trait of a QB is the intangibles. I think Mayfield has more intangibles than any QB that has come along in quite a while. I just hope he's there at #5. Cleveland could think the same way and nab him first.

I couldn't disagree more. I see an idiot.

slim
03-01-2018, 01:50 PM
I couldn't disagree more. I see an idiot.

Then stop looking in the mirror!!

#chooochooo

Poet
03-01-2018, 01:54 PM
If we take Mayfield over Rosen it'll be a sad, sad day. Taking a rawer lesser prospect who isn't as pro ready (I still think BM is pro ready) over the hyper competitive brain with a pretty good arm is horrid.

MOtorboat
03-01-2018, 01:54 PM
Then stop looking in the mirror!!

#chooochooo

Good one.

:tsk:

MOtorboat
03-01-2018, 01:56 PM
If we take Mayfield over Rosen it'll be a sad, sad day. Taking a rawer lesser prospect who isn't as pro ready (I still think BM is pro ready) over the hyper competitive brain with a pretty good arm is horrid.

We DO NOT KNOW that Mayfield is more competitive than other guys. This drives me nuts. Yelling and screaming doesn't show that he's more competitive than other guys, it just shows that he yells and screams. You absolutely, cannot measure passion from that.

dogfish
03-01-2018, 01:58 PM
We DO NOT KNOW that Mayfield is more competitive than other guys. This drives me nuts. Yelling and screaming doesn't show that he's more competitive than other guys, it just shows that he yells and screams. You absolutely, cannot measure passion from that.

if we do happen to draft him, you know that i'm going to call him baker MOfield in your honor, right?

:heh:

MOtorboat
03-01-2018, 01:59 PM
if we do happen to draft him, you know that i'm going to call him baker MOfield in your honor, right?

Modraftpicks

:coffee:

slim
03-01-2018, 02:00 PM
NTL, tell us about Baker MOfield.

underrated29
03-01-2018, 02:17 PM

Theyre both angry midgets!

underrated29
03-01-2018, 02:27 PM

I agree.

He has however walked on twice and won the job. I do like that. I also like that he will try to keep any play alive or do what it takes to try and get the first, etc. I do have serious concerns about him as a passer and reading the field and throwing guys open.

Poet
03-01-2018, 02:32 PM
If you're challenging your coaches to explain the playbook and the theory therein, you're not doing it to waste time.

#intangiblesareoverratedandRosenstillhasthem

Cugel
03-01-2018, 05:24 PM

But which one? Allen and Mayfield are the obvious choices to be available at #5 and neither of them is at all a sure thing. Allen has accuracy issues and Mayfield is smaller and doesn't have as strong an arm. I don't know that either is going to be an elite QB, but I'm not a scout either.

The real problem is: what if Elway loves Josh Rosen or Darnold? Neither is likely to be there at #5. The Browns might love Josh Allen, as Mel Kiper keeps mocking him going #1. If so then what do the Broncos do if he's the guy they love too?

They might not get the QB they want or think will be successful at the next level. Even #5 is pretty late to be able to draft a franchise QB of your choice. Might have to take Baker Mayfield in that scenario. I don't know how much the Johnny Manziel comparisons with Mayfield are fair, but it is a matter for consideration.

Cugel
03-01-2018, 05:28 PM

Well, if the Giants agree with you then it won't be a problem, will it because Rosen won't be on the board past #2 and they won't be willing to trade that pick. So, it will be Darnold, Allen or Mayfield by default. Probably Darnold or Allen in that scenario, since Cleveland will probably take one of them.

Simple Jaded
03-01-2018, 08:32 PM
BTW: ESPN is reporting that "sources close to the Broncos" are indicating the Broncos have interest in Keenum. That rumor is likely similar to most rumors at this point of the off-season - a smoke screen.

Lots of misinformation out there these days.
God I wish I could trust your sources, Keenum is garbage.

DenBronx
03-01-2018, 08:40 PM
I don't get the hype on Keenum. I hope to God that the Vikings resign him because I don't want him here. Might as well draft a rookie and save 20 mill.

Simple Jaded
03-01-2018, 08:51 PM
I wanna see Denver sign Bradford just to watch Shane’s meltdown, especially if that moves Swiggy off the roster.

Cugel
03-03-2018, 12:01 PM
God I wish I could trust your sources, Keenum is garbage.

ESPN says it, which means it is NOT anything more than someone says "sources close to the Broncos" and reports it on the radio. Well, who are those "sources"? Could be some assistant trainer who overheard something and told a friend for all we know. We know it's probably not Elway blabbing about his plans so probably misinformation - whether it's true or not.

Teams lies increase geometrically between now and the draft.

broncofaninfla
03-06-2018, 06:48 PM
I'm definitely not in the majority with this one BUT my plan A would be AJM with plan B being Mayfield, C would be Keenum

DenBronx
03-06-2018, 07:10 PM
I'm definitely not in the majority with this one BUT my plan A would be AJM with plan B being Mayfield, C would be Keenum

Why would your plan A be AJ?

ShaneFalco
03-06-2018, 08:10 PM
I wanna see Denver sign Bradford just to watch Shane’s meltdown, especially if that moves Swiggy off the roster.

this post just blew out bradfords knee

Poet
03-06-2018, 08:11 PM
I laughed out loud at that, Shaner.

Simple Jaded
03-06-2018, 10:57 PM
this post just blew out bradfords knee

Signing Bradford and getting absolutely nothing out of him?

Even better.

DenBronx
03-10-2018, 07:40 PM
So now that news is breaking that Cousins will sign with the Vikings we are on to plan B.

Imo, we should now just be ALL-IN on drafting a rookie QB. I don't want us to go after Keenum or any other high price QB. Look at the success the Rams and Eagles are having by doing that.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-10-2018, 08:27 PM
So now that news is breaking that Cousins will sign with the Vikings we are on to plan B.

Imo, we should now just be ALL-IN on drafting a rookie QB. I don't want us to go after Keenum or any other high price QB. Look at the success the Rams and Eagles are having by doing that.

What news? I don’t see anything on NFL.com or ESPN.

TXBRONC
03-10-2018, 08:38 PM

I think that's what will happen by the time it is all said and done.

TXBRONC
03-10-2018, 08:41 PM

Den, I don't see anything that says he's going to sign with Vikings.