View Full Version : Who Signs Cousins?

WARHORSE
02-01-2018, 12:55 PM
Arizona
Jets
Cleveland
Buffalo
Miami

If we sign Cousins.....cant you see Buffalo packaging picks to go up to number five to get our slot? Or Arizona?

slim
02-01-2018, 12:58 PM
He will shock the world and go to the XFL.

WARHORSE
02-01-2018, 01:11 PM
If we sign him to a decent contract then we can either pick a premier player or trade down. San Fran will be in the mix since Lynch would love to do a deal with pal Elway.

Our pick becomes real enticing since the Jets pick right behind us...anyone wanting a QB other than Jets moves up

Buff
02-01-2018, 01:24 PM
I say he goes to the Jets or the Cardinals. Aside from Cleveland, the Jets have the most cap space, and they have the most dire QB situation aside from us and Cleveland... Plus they pick behind all of the teams who need QBs. I liked Bates as OC when he was here. And I think Bowles is a good coach.

I think the teams picking lower will be especially motivated to get him.

Cugel
02-01-2018, 01:55 PM
Arizona
Jets
Cleveland
Buffalo
Miami

If we sign Cousins.....cant you see Buffalo packaging picks to go up to number five to get our slot? Or Arizona?

Only if they fall wildly in love with Josh Allen. And given his inaccuracy issues, that is a stretch. Buffalo could continue to suffer or they could try and land someone like Sam Bradford who played well until he was inevitably hurt again. Or they could keep and develop Tyrod Taylor I suppose.

AZ is certainly possible. Other than Denver, I'd say the Cardinals are the most likely landing spot.

The Jets have more money, but they also are the Jets. And does Cousins really want to go there and suffer through the dysfunction that is the NYJ? Or Cleveland for the same reason?

If either offers just a BOAT-load more money, I could see it. But, he will disappear in either city and never get a whiff of the SB. Chances of Cousins leading the Browns to anything like a SB are not red-hot.

Cugel
02-01-2018, 01:59 PM
I say he goes to the Jets or the Cardinals. Aside from Cleveland, the Jets have the most cap space, and they have the most dire QB situation aside from us and Cleveland... Plus they pick behind all of the teams who need QBs. I liked Bates as OC when he was here. And I think Bowles is a good coach.

I think the teams picking lower will be especially motivated to get him.

True, but will he want to go there? Those organizations are totally dysfunctional and everybody knows it. He stated he wants to go somewhere he can win. And that is not Cleveland or the Jets!

AZ is a good possibility though. And Denver. Conceivably MN, although I haven't heard anything except fan speculation that indicates they would be willing to pay him $30m rather than keep Teddy Brigewater for around $20 and NOT blow up their salary cap.

Slick
02-01-2018, 02:01 PM
He will wind up in Denver. I think if Elway felt like he could get Rosen at 5 he wouldn't sign Cousins but I don't think Elway's willing to roll the dice on any of the other QBs in this year's draft.

It will be a full court press for Cousins.

Cugel
02-01-2018, 02:08 PM
He will wind up in Denver. I think if Elway felt like he could get Rosen at 5 he wouldn't sign Cousins but I don't think Elway's willing to roll the dice on any of the other QBs in this year's draft.

We don't know what Elway thinks of Rosen. Some commenatators have said that Rosen is the "most NFL ready" but nobody inside the Broncos organization has said that. They could prefer Allen for all we know. Or Sam Darnold. Who knows what they really think of those players?

Slick
02-01-2018, 02:12 PM
We don't know what Elway thinks of Rosen. Some commenatators have said that Rosen is the "most NFL ready" but nobody inside the Broncos organization has said that. They could prefer Allen for all we know. Or Sam Darnold. Who knows what they really think of those players?

I am speculating, Cugel. That's what we do here.

wayninja
02-01-2018, 02:36 PM
I think the Jets outbid what we are willing to do and Kirk follows the money.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-01-2018, 03:47 PM
I’ve got to believe that Elway still has that big dick swagger and can convince Cousins that the Broncos are much closer to a championship than any of the other teams on that list, most of whom have never won or even been to a Super Bowl in the past 3 decades.

Rick
02-01-2018, 04:22 PM

NOBODY? Not 1 person in the entire organization has said that to anyone? Not even the janitors have gone home to the wife and kids and said they like Rosen better?

Rick
02-01-2018, 04:23 PM
I want Denver to but I am imagining some dark horse team that there has been no mention of just swooping out and signing him.

Nomad
02-01-2018, 06:13 PM
I want Denver to but I am imagining some dark horse team that there has been no mention of just swooping out and signing him.

Vikings

HORSEPOWER 56
02-01-2018, 06:15 PM

Like Minnesota. They don’t have any QBs on their roster other than Sloter. It’s possible they see Cousins as an upgrade to Keenum/Bradford/Bridgewater and just let the three of them walk. If there’s a team that can compete with Denver as “ready to win” it’s them.

Cugel
02-01-2018, 06:25 PM
NOBODY? Not 1 person in the entire organization has said that to anyone? Not even the janitors have gone home to the wife and kids and said they like Rosen better?

Janitors are your sources now? :laugh:

Cugel
02-01-2018, 06:31 PM
Like Minnesota. They don’t have any QBs on their roster other than Sloter. It’s possible they see Cousins as an upgrade to Keenum/Bradford/Bridgewater and just let the three of them walk. If there’s a team that can compete with Denver as “ready to win” it’s them.

#1 If they are willing to give up on Teddy Bridgewater. They loved Bridgewater all year while Keenum was tearing it up. Every day the coach would re-iterate that Keenum was the QB "for this week." They were hoping Bridgewater would come back.

The easy and cheapest thing would be to re-sign Bridgewater. He won't even get $20m so their entire salary cap wouldn't be screwed up. They keep and get to re-sign all those key defensive players.

Is Kirk Cousins really $10m a year better than Bridgewater? And they will have their doctors examining him before they decide whether Bridgewater is ready to come back. If not, then perhaps they would court Cousins, but they could just as easily re-sign Keenum or even Sam Bradford who was playing great until he got hurt (again).

A better plan might be simply keep Keenum and draft a QB to develop along with Sloter.

Rick
02-01-2018, 06:32 PM
Janitors are your sources now? :laugh:

About as useful as the local radio jockeys :)

tomjonesrocks
02-01-2018, 08:14 PM
I just can’t see Elway making Cousins the highest paid player in the NFL. Other than maybe Keenum he seems like the most “Broncos” QB (would be hard to explain that) and because Elway has made magic happen before I said he’d land here. But at the same time from an outside perspective I’m unsure Denver doesn’t look like an organization in disarray. Hoping for the best.

I’ll say I’d be profoundly disappointed if Bridgewater is the guy. He’s a checkdown QB who’s MO is that he can’t or won’t throw deep and is now recovering/recovered from a devastating injury. He seems a fit for the Browns to me...would prefer seeing what Kelly has and going the draft lotto route if he’s the option remaining.

wayninja
02-01-2018, 08:25 PM
Agreed. Elway definitely doesn't strike me as a "pay a guy historic money" type.

Cugel
02-01-2018, 08:26 PM

Some of the time! Especially if they are going to make up their own sources. I haven't seen that one before where they invent a blockbuster trade out of their own heads and then have to walk it back.

aberdien
02-01-2018, 08:26 PM

They went to the NFC Championship game. We went 5-11. I think they've already won the "who is more ready to win" competition.

Cugel
02-01-2018, 08:27 PM
I just can’t see Elway making Cousins the highest paid player in the NFL. Other than maybe Keenum he seems like the most “Broncos” QB (would be hard to explain that) and because Elway has made magic happen before I said he’d land here. But at the same time from an outside perspective I’m unsure Denver doesn’t look like an organization in disarray. Hoping for the best.

I’ll say I’d be profoundly disappointed if Bridgewater is the guy. He’s a checkdown QB who’s MO is that he can’t or won’t throw deep and is now recovering/recovered from a devastating injury. He seems a fit for the Browns to me...would prefer seeing what Kelly has and going the draft lotto route if he’s the option remaining.

Unless the Vikings get Cousins, they are probably sticking with Teddy Bridgewater. Adam Schefter says they want to try and keep both Keenum and Bridgewater. I don't know how they could possibly do that, but they are going to try. They would have to sign Bridgewater to a long term contract and then franchise Keenum or something. I have no idea how that could work.

If they had to choose it will depend on Bridgewater's passing a physical. That will determine whether they keep him. If he passed, good chance they just sign him long term and then try and figure out what they do with Keenum if anything.

They just loved Bridgewater until his injury and are reluctant to just give up on him, as young and inexperienced as he still is.

aberdien
02-01-2018, 08:32 PM
#TeamTeddy

wayninja
02-01-2018, 08:45 PM
I have no idea why the Vikings need a QB when they have a FHOFer in Sloter.

tomjonesrocks
02-01-2018, 08:47 PM
#TeamTeddy

#noThanks #Keenum

dogfish
02-01-2018, 08:52 PM

#MicDrop

They went to the NFC Championship game. We went 5-11. I think they've already won the "who is more ready to win" competition.

#OhHellNaw

dogfish
02-01-2018, 08:55 PM
I have no idea why the Vikings need a QB when they have a FHOFer in Sloter.

all sarcasm aside, i heard a good interview a week or so back with paul allen-- he's the "voice of the vikings," he's their dave logan. . . he said the vikes' offensive staff was enamored with sloter's arm talent and intangibles, and that he expects them to be very comfortable rolling with kyle as their second stringer next year. . .

Hawgdriver
02-01-2018, 09:26 PM
all sarcasm aside, i heard a good interview a week or so back with paul allen-- he's the "voice of the vikings," he's their dave logan. . . he said the vikes' offensive staff was enamored with sloter's arm talent and intangibles, and that he expects them to be very comfortable rolling with kyle as their second stringer next year. . .

Good for him.

Some of us thought we saw a flash.

If he was still here, there is zero chance he'd become an NFL QB. Now he has one.

Good for him.

Northman
02-02-2018, 05:53 AM

Yep.

He will be a Bronco.

Northman
02-02-2018, 05:56 AM
Agreed. Elway definitely doesn't strike me as a "pay a guy historic money" type.

Did someone say money????

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2017/09/28/sports/28xp-vonmiller1/28xp-vonmiller1-master768.jpg

tripp
02-02-2018, 10:53 AM
I see him going to the Jets because of coaching staff and the Shannahan connection. I think he takes the max amount of money he can and runs with it. I think whatever we offer him, while it's tempting because of our roster, I don't think he'll like the terms of the contract.

Only shitty thing about going to the Jets, you'll always be playing for 2nd place in the AFC East so long as Belichick is HC of the Pats.

tripp
02-02-2018, 10:57 AM

Nooo way, If I'm Minnesota, you're sitting pretty damn good with the QB's on your roster. Bridgewater is the Qb of the future and if they think he's not, I pray he comes to Denver.

CoachChaz
02-02-2018, 11:17 AM
I see him going to the Jets because of coaching staff and the Shannahan connection. I think he takes the max amount of money he can and runs with it. I think whatever we offer him, while it's tempting because of our roster, I don't think he'll like the terms of the contract.

Only shitty thing about going to the Jets, you'll always be playing for 2nd place in the AFC East so long as Belichick is HC of the Pats.

The difference being we can offer just as much money as anyone else if we turn it into guaranteed money and back-end it. It wont kill our cap long term and if the Jets want to go into ridiculous money for him (30m or more AAV)...they can have him. But by the time they are ready to compete, they wont be able to pay anyone else and Cousins will be playing for the Redskins again.

wayninja
02-02-2018, 11:23 AM
Did someone say money????

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2017/09/28/sports/28xp-vonmiller1/28xp-vonmiller1-master768.jpg

Well, I was really talking about FA QB that has no rings, but I get your point.

tripp
02-02-2018, 11:25 AM
The difference being we can offer just as much money as anyone else if we turn it into guaranteed money and back-end it. It wont kill our cap long term and if the Jets want to go into ridiculous money for him (30m or more AAV)...they can have him. But by the time they are ready to compete, they wont be able to pay anyone else and Cousins will be playing for the Redskins again.

That's exactly what I foresee happening. I like Cousins, but I don't like him that much. Jets are a bad team and they need something to give them a spark, even if it means crippling the team for years to come.

I'd love for him to come here especially if we work out a contract, like you said, that is team friendly and it's guaranteed, etc. But I just have this hunch Jets are going to go full retard.

Freyaka
02-02-2018, 12:07 PM
Vikings

I was going to say just this...They publicly announced their interest in acquiring him, seems kind of dumb when you already have 3 starting QB's...

Freyaka
02-02-2018, 12:09 PM

Brady gets his 6th and retires...New England Signs Cousins and the reign of terror continues for another decade....

I'm going to go bleach my brain out now...That thought was too much.

tripp
02-02-2018, 01:13 PM
Brady gets his 6th and retires...New England Signs Cousins and the reign of terror continues for another decade....

I'm going to go bleach my brain out now...That thought was too much.

Imagine Girappolo staying in New England he does indeed turn out to be the next big thing...

Freyaka
02-02-2018, 01:33 PM
Imagine Girappolo staying in New England he does indeed turn out to be the next big thing...

So glad he got traded. I can't deal with that team being competitive for another decade. They need to die a quick death once Brady retires so that we can be done with their fans.

tripp
02-02-2018, 02:01 PM
So glad he got traded. I can't deal with that team being competitive for another decade. They need to die a quick death once Brady retires so that we can be done with their fans.

So true. I was absolutely sick to my stomach when Colts got Andy Luck. You have 1 bad year in the past decade and you get a generational player in Andy Luck.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-02-2018, 02:12 PM
I was going to say just this...They publicly announced their interest in acquiring him, seems kind of dumb when you already have 3 starting QB's...

For the last time, the Vikings have 0 starting QBs right now. Nobody but Sloter is under contract. They either have to re-sign/franchise one of them or get one in FA or the draft.

I also don’t know people’s obsession with Bridgewater. He hasn’t taken a meaningful snap in 2 years and even when he was healthy, he never threw more than 14 TDs in a season. He’s Alex Smith part 2. He’s careful with the football but isn’t someone who will put the offense on his shoulders/throw to win you games.

wayninja
02-02-2018, 02:14 PM
Right, they have Sloter. I guess they can go get a backup if they want. But... a proven preseason Vet is all they really need, barring injury.

dogfish
02-02-2018, 02:54 PM
For the last time, the Vikings have 0 starting QBs right now. Nobody but Sloter is under contract. They either have to re-sign/franchise one of them or get one in FA or the draft.

I also don’t know people’s obsession with Bridgewater. He hasn’t taken a meaningful snap in 2 years and even when he was healthy, he never threw more than 14 TDs in a season. He’s Alex Smith part 2. He’s careful with the football but isn’t someone who will put the offense on his shoulders/throw to win you games.

preach, brotha HP. . . keenum's the only one of the three who's starter level. . . bradford is permanently broken, and bridgewater just isn't good. . .

Freyaka
02-02-2018, 03:03 PM

I didn't even mention Bridgewater, but they should be tagging/resigning Keenum because he's got the potential to be their QB for awhile. Regardless, they can get a deal done with any of those three QB's so they have 3 starting QB's available to either tag or sign with a history with the team and I'm sure a willingness to sign.

GEM
02-02-2018, 03:38 PM

Freyaka
02-02-2018, 03:54 PM

Oh, we're interested alright!

Slick
02-02-2018, 04:02 PM
You still gotta wonder why an offensive coach like Gruden gets Alex Smith instead of Cousins.

wayninja
02-02-2018, 04:07 PM
You still gotta wonder why an offensive coach like Gruden gets Alex Smith instead of Cousins.

I think Cousins was pretty salty after getting tagged for 2 years and them not giving him a deal. Think it's a poorly kept secret that Cousins wanted to be done with them.

Poet
02-02-2018, 04:09 PM

I'm not sure that he did go out and get him.

The Redskins referred to him as Curt in a press conference when they were mad he didn't sign a lowball deal.

Slick
02-02-2018, 04:09 PM
Right but if Cousins is a franchise QB you don't dick around with him for 2 years in the first place.

wayninja
02-02-2018, 04:14 PM
Right but if Cousins is a franchise QB you don't dick around with him for 2 years in the first place.

Sure, that's just sheer stupidity on Washingtons part. They rejected his agents offer of a 3 year deal with 40 mil guaranteed and ended up paying 44 million for 2 years.

There's no explaining stupid.

Poet
02-02-2018, 04:14 PM

This is a fair point. But, the strongest defense I could make is that maybe the question was still in the air and answered affirmatively by two huge years with a bad team?

The Saints didn't know that Brees was a franchise guy when they signed him/had him. The Chargers didn't, either. Had Cousins busted out the 5k yard seasons earlier, the entire scenario would have played out differently.

It's interesting.

Slick
02-02-2018, 04:23 PM
I know the redskins aren't known to be a smart franchise but Gruden is an intelligent coach. His opinion means something to me.

Poet
02-02-2018, 04:27 PM
I don't think Gruden calls many shots in D.C., though. We'll never know!

wayninja
02-02-2018, 04:28 PM
I know the redskins aren't known to be a smart franchise but Gruden is an intelligent coach. His opinion means something to me.

How much input is Gruden given in negotiating contracts? I guess you could read into it that Gruden wasn't sold on Cousins, but there's no way out of the conclusion that they paid more for less time with him. I can't think of a "smart" reason for that no matter how it's sliced.

I can get on board with the first time they tagged him on a prove it deal. I think he proved it... and they tagged him again. At that point, they were basically gambling that he would suck. I can't think of better way to get under the skin of a guy who's the leader of your team.

Cugel
02-02-2018, 04:45 PM

If you poop in your shorts, you have to change those shorts. The Redskins pooped in their pants for 2 straight years. Hence the change.

It has nothing to do with Cousins' ability. It doesn't even have much to do with the money. They decided to low-ball him in 2017 entering the season. And then they took away all his weapons to try and show him up. He played well anyway. At the end of the day, he was never going to come back to DC unless they franchised him at $34.6m a year, which was never an option from a salary cap perspective.

So, they get Alex Smith who is 4 years older and no better, if as good, and they give up their best nickel CB in the bargain. In short, their team just got worse as a result of all this, since they lose and player and a 3rd round pick, and get a QB who is at best equal to Cousins, but a lot older.

That is considered a bad day in the GM business no matter how they spin it.

Freyaka
02-02-2018, 05:02 PM
If you poop in your shorts, you have to change those shorts. The Redskins pooped in their pants for 2 straight years. Hence the change.

I had to laugh at the analogy, but you basically nailed

chazoe60
02-02-2018, 05:26 PM
So were the Redskins wearing shorts or pants?

Cugel
02-02-2018, 06:45 PM
So were the Redskins wearing shorts or pants?

They pooped in both! Hence the mixed metaphor!

Their litany of transgressions is lengthy and tedious:

Here are the highlights, and forgive me the length, even abridged, tis' lengthy:

Cousins was that neglected fourth round pick who was always the red-headed step-child to RGIII. RGIII was loved, especially by owner Dan Snyder. Cousins was supposed to be the backup and know his place.

But, RGIII flamed out spectacularly amid massive conflicts with Mike Shanahan, ultimately getting shit-canned by successor Jay Gruden.

Now we all know Mike Shanahan, and none of his players in the SB years had any problems playing for him. They all love and admire him to this day. Fans remember the years of terrible draft picks that doomed him, but his players say nothing but great things about him any time.

I suspect that RGIII's and ultimately the Redskins management problems with Cousins is that ultimately he showed them up. They didn't believe in him from the beginning. RGIII was supposed to be the guy and he Trevor'd that Paxton Lynch. In outrage for siding with Cousins rather than RGIII, among other reasons, they fired Shanny.

But, Cousins continued to impress. They reluctantly signed offered him a franchise contract for the first time. He immediately signed it, betting on his being able to continue to play well and stay healthy. If he sucked or got hurt, he would get nothing other than that one year and be done with football.

Management was surprised at his calling their bluff like that, but they were left with no choice but to swallow the contract.

He continued to play well and his stock with NFL observers rose. The Redskins management did not respond well to this being shown up for the pack of fools they are. They were sort of backed into a corner. If they reacted to Cousins like a normal NFL team would, they would have signed him to a long term deal immediately after his first franchise.

Instead in a fit of peevish malignity they decided to franchise him again. This was an act of defiance from management. They never thought he'd sign it again, although any sensible person who had not lost their cranium in a freak bowling accident would have suspected that, having signed his first franchise contract he might do it again.

He did it again. Again they had to grit their teeth and pay him. Then they took away all his receivers and support. They were setting him up to fail so they could regain some advantage in negotiations. What other reason did they have for getting rid of most of their talented players?

He played great anyway. After the season, they issued press releases talking about some of his supposed failings "he was only 40% completion in the red-zone." ??? The red-zone is much harder to throw in for obvious reasons, so that is one B.S. made up stat. Why did they release it?

They wanted to diss Cousins to mollify their fans. They also gave up a third round pick + a promising player just to acquire Alex Smith, whom everybody knew would be released by the Chiefs if nobody offered anything for him. They were still so desperate, having royally screwed up the Cousins negotiations and having their franchise QB walk out the door into Unrestricted Free Agency, thanks entirely to their painful imbecility, that they panicked and gave the moon and stars for Alex Smith.

Now I will give Alex Smith more credit than you. I think the Broncos could do a lot with Alex Smith. We'd have won the division last year if we had him rather than KC. But, it's not an upgrade to go from Cousins to Alex Smith. Not at all.

But, the moral of the story is: if you have billions of dollars you can be a lot dumber than a big bag of rocks and what can anybody really do about it? Nothing much. Snyder rolls on like the Mississippi, despite having less IQ than Troll Fat.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-02-2018, 06:55 PM
Kirk Cousins says Redskins trade for Alex Smith 'came as a surprise'

article, plus video - http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22300119/kirk-cousins-surprised-washington-redskins-trade-alex-smith

ShaneFalco
02-03-2018, 04:39 AM
Vikings

Cugel
02-03-2018, 04:56 AM
More Redskins dysfunction. They put the blame for all this crap on Cousins, but then their lack of class comes through and they don't even bother to tell him they are trading him. It's an afterthought to them. FA Players will notice this lack of class too.

He's high class all the way, they act like I called them