PDA

View Full Version : Roger Goodell 'concerned' with catch rule, pushing for change

Denver Native (Carol)
01-29-2018, 09:17 PM
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is pushing to change the league's notorious catch rule this offseason, a response to nearly a decade of complaints from coaches, players and fans about its counterintuitive nature.

"I'm not just somewhat concerned [about the rule]," Goodell said in an interview with FS1's "The Herd with Colin Cowherd." "I am concerned."

rest, plus Goodell talking about this with Colin - http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22257695/concerned-roger-goodell-wants-nfl-catch-rule-changed

Poet
01-29-2018, 09:30 PM
It's hurting the game. The rules for interpreting what a catch is, when put into action, should not feel like a law school short answer question. :laugh:

Tned
01-29-2018, 09:40 PM
It's hurting the game. The rules for interpreting what a catch is, when put into action, should not feel like a law school short answer question. :laugh:

Did you hear the one about when a group of lawyers are the most popular people in the room? When they are surrounded by NFL referees....

Tned
01-29-2018, 09:40 PM
That was much funnier when the voices in my head told me that joke. :sad:

Poet
01-29-2018, 09:47 PM
That was much funnier when the voices in my head told me that joke. :sad:

I chuckled. I wish the good work lawyers do was more publicized. It'd be a less hated profession, I think. But that's a different topic.

The catch rules, when there's a challenge, just make fans groan. It's dreaded.

Tned
01-29-2018, 09:59 PM
I chuckled. I wish the good work lawyers do was more publicized. It'd be a less hated profession, I think. But that's a different topic.

In my business, lawyers are invaluable. But with us it's legal, regulatory, etc. I have a great relationship with lawyers. The greatest. You don't know anyone that has a greater relationship with lawyers than I do....

It's beyond time for it to change. Every time they try and tweak it to make it more clear, they make it worse. It's a joke at the moment. They would be far better off rolling it back to possession and two feet down and NO review than the cluster that it is now.

Poet
01-29-2018, 10:26 PM
In my business, lawyers are invaluable. But with us it's legal, regulatory, etc. I have a great relationship with lawyers. The greatest. You don't know anyone that has a greater relationship with lawyers than I do....

It's beyond time for it to change. Every time they try and tweak it to make it more clear, they make it worse. It's a joke at the moment. They would be far better off rolling it back to possession and two feet down and NO review than the cluster that it is now.

Well said.

dogfish
01-30-2018, 12:34 AM
Did you hear the one about when a group of lawyers are the most popular people in the room? When they are surrounded by NFL referees....

oh shit, where's spiker?

#ShotsFired

FanInAZ
01-30-2018, 04:01 AM

Could you represent me in a lawsuit against all of the lawyers who cause me emotional duress by bombarding the airwaves with "public awareness announcements" that just about everything I come in contact with could kill me?

HORSEPOWER 56
01-30-2018, 07:34 AM
Honestly, with how far and detailed it’s gotten I just don’t see how they can go back now. With 50 HD camera angles and super slo mo, you can typically determine it pretty easily under the current rule. It sucks when the call goes against your team, but it is what it is. Really, the only way I see this going is one of two ways:

1) they make it un-challengeable. The call on the field is law. The fans would be up in arms if it’s clearly not a catch on replay and I can’t see them doing it based on the money they’ve already spent on the cameras just for these calls.
2) if the ball hits the ground at all, moving or not, or comes out when the receiver goes down, it’s incomplete. The whole process of the catch and did it move, etc would be wiped out and there’d be a lot more passes called incomplete but it would be an easier rule to enforce.

Those are the only 2 things I can think of and most people won’t like them either.

Tned
01-30-2018, 08:19 AM
Honestly, with how far and detailed it’s gotten I just don’t see how they can go back now. With 50 HD camera angles and super slo mo, you can typically determine it pretty easily under the current rule. It sucks when the call goes against your team, but it is what it is. Really, the only way I see this going is one of two ways:

1) they make it un-challengeable. The call on the field is law. The fans would be up in arms if it’s clearly not a catch on replay and I can’t see them doing it based on the money they’ve already spent on the cameras just for these calls.
2) if the ball hits the ground at all, moving or not, or comes out when the receiver goes down, it’s incomplete. The whole process of the catch and did it move, etc would be wiped out and there’d be a lot more passes called incomplete but it would be an easier rule to enforce.

Those are the only 2 things I can think of and most people won’t like them either.

1. I definitely think they could rethink the ball hitting the ground. It used to be if it hit the ground it was no catch, now they determine if the ground helped with the catch, and it's not even as black and white as it was a few years ago which is did it move when it hit the ground. Now, we are even seeing movement and them still deeming the receiver had control. So, one option is reverting to the old rule, which is if the receivers hands aren't between the ball and the ground, then no catch.

2. Sideline/endzone sideline, get rid of the "football move" and control after hitting the ground and instead make it possession and two feet down, period, on the sideline. If you have control, get two feet down and go to the ground and when you slam the back of your head against the ground the ball comes out, it's still a TD (or catch on a sideline play outside the endzone). Basically, in the endzone, possession and two feed down is a catch, period and same going out of bounds on the sideline and it doesn't matter what happens when you land out of bounds.

3. In the field of play, when becoming a runner after catching the ball, revert to the old rule of possession and two steps. If you get blown up and lose the ball after one step, incomplete. If after two steps, fumble.

4. In the field of play, when catching the ball, but not taking two steps, if you catch the ball and then go to the ground and are in possession when your knee or other part of the body that would equal being down, then it's a catch and play is over if you've been touched. Likewise, if you have the ball, have both feet down and don't take two steps, but the ref deems forward progress has stopped, then it's a catch.

5. In the endzone (not going out of bounds), if you catch the ball and have two feet down, it's a TD, period. If they are going to the ground and have control when both feet hit or any other body part that would equate to being down (a butt cheek), then it's a TD, even if you lose the ball after the "ground causes the fumble."

On two and five above, some can argue that it wasn't really control if the ground knocked it out, but that's the rabbit hole that started this tortured mess of annually "tweaking" the catch rule. It needs to be simplified and clear so that the refs can more consistently call it and when we have ex heads of referees on network TV, they can say with certainty how the replay is going to come out. The fact they get it wrong half the time tells us that the rule is so screwed up that it can't be called consistently by the refs on the field.

An imperfect rule, that can be administered uniformly around the league and that fans understand, is far better than the current approach of trying to come up with a perfect rule, which has led to great inconsistency in calls and reviews.

Cugel
01-30-2018, 12:42 PM
3. In the field of play, when becoming a runner after catching the ball, revert to the old rule of possession and two steps. If you get blown up and lose the ball after one step, incomplete. If after two steps, fumble.

Get rid of the crap about "did he control the ball all the way to the ground? Was the ball moving when it made contact? Was his hand under the ball or not?" Those are all the garbage problems that cause them to have to squint at replay under the hood and look at multiple angles for 2 minutes at a time. Nobody can celebrate a catch because "was it a catch? Was the ball moving? Was their indisuputable evidence?" Blah, blah, blah!

Of course the chances Godell modifies the rule and they don't end up making it more complex and worse is just zero. Every time they change anything they screw it up worse.

underrated29
01-30-2018, 03:03 PM
Whenever they have a guy on with color guys, like mike perarria, or whomever the head of referring is....they always get the call right.

They need to do it like they do in hockey. Take if out of the refs hands and let the mike perraria guy do it. If they arent sure they make a quick call to toronto. The head guy reviews it there and makes the call. Boom. done. Easy. No different interpretations. just consistency from each catch and game all the way through.

Do it likehockey and be done.

LawDog
01-30-2018, 04:27 PM
I want them to limit video replay to full speed. They can use as many angles as they have available, but nothing in slow-mo or zoom in. I believe this would eliminate a lot of the bullshit.

tripp
01-31-2018, 11:46 AM
For the love of all things holy change the god damn pass interference rule. If it's P.I., make it a 15 yard penalty (like in college). Too many cheap wins have come at a cost because a player has gone down too easily or because it's shoddy officiating. You don't deserve to be on the team's goal line because Tom Brady threw the football 60 yards to the goal line and the receiver was interfered with.

The way the NFL is these days, you may as well throw a hail mary every play and hope you get P.I., it will happen more often then you think.

Buff
01-31-2018, 12:02 PM
For the love of all things holy change the god damn pass interference rule. If it's P.I., make it a 15 yard penalty (like in college). Too many cheap wins have come at a cost because a player has gone down too easily or because it's shoddy officiating. You don't deserve to be on the team's goal line because Tom Brady threw the football 60 yards to the goal line and the receiver was interfered with.

The way the NFL is these days, you may as well throw a hail mary every play and hope you get P.I., it will happen more often then you think.

On a related note - not enough teams play the game theory here and throw deep balls when they are down hoping to complete it or get bailed out by P.I. Credit to Brady for understanding that there is additional upside because of the rules. I was thinking that as I watched their inevitable comeback against Jax.

tripp
01-31-2018, 12:11 PM
On a related note - not enough teams play the game theory here and throw deep balls when they are down hoping to complete it or get bailed out by P.I. Credit to Brady for understanding that there is additional upside because of the rules. I was thinking that as I watched their inevitable comeback against Jax.

I just think it's a cheap way to win a game. It's far too easy to get a flag for P.I. as well.

I literally can't stand the CFL but the one thing I'll give them credit for, you can review penalties. Yes it slows the game down even more than it is, but if you want to call bull shit on a 60 yard P.I., you can.

Tned
01-31-2018, 12:17 PM
Whenever they have a guy on with color guys, like mike perarria, or whomever the head of referring is....they always get the call right.

They need to do it like they do in hockey. Take if out of the refs hands and let the mike perraria guy do it. If they arent sure they make a quick call to toronto. The head guy reviews it there and makes the call. Boom. done. Easy. No different interpretations. just consistency from each catch and game all the way through.

Do it likehockey and be done.

Isn't that essentially what they moved to last year, all reviews are primarily done at NFL HQ and the Ref on the field is more incidental and reporting the results?

gregbroncs
02-03-2018, 02:03 PM
1. I definitely think they could rethink the ball hitting the ground. It used to be if it hit the ground it was no catch, now they determine if the ground helped with the catch, and it's not even as black and white as it was a few years ago which is did it move when it hit the ground. Now, we are even seeing movement and them still deeming the receiver had control. So, one option is reverting to the old rule, which is if the receivers hands aren't between the ball and the ground, then no catch.

2. Sideline/endzone sideline, get rid of the "football move" and control after hitting the ground and instead make it possession and two feet down, period, on the sideline. If you have control, get two feet down and go to the ground and when you slam the back of your head against the ground the ball comes out, it's still a TD (or catch on a sideline play outside the endzone). Basically, in the endzone, possession and two feed down is a catch, period and same going out of bounds on the sideline and it doesn't matter what happens when you land out of bounds.

4. In the field of play, when catching the ball, but not taking two steps, if you catch the ball and then go to the ground and are in possession when your knee or other part of the body that would equal being down, then it's a catch and play is over if you've been touched. Likewise, if you have the ball, have both feet down and don't take two steps, but the ref deems forward progress has stopped, then it's a catch.

5. In the endzone (not going out of bounds), if you catch the ball and have two feet down, it's a TD, period. If they are going to the ground and have control when both feet hit or any other body part that would equate to being down (a butt cheek), then it's a TD, even if you lose the ball after the "ground causes the fumble."

On two and five above, some can argue that it wasn't really control if the ground knocked it out, but that's the rabbit hole that started this tortured mess of annually "tweaking" the catch rule. It needs to be simplified and clear so that the refs can more consistently call it and when we have ex heads of referees on network TV, they can say with certainty how the replay is going to come out. The fact they get it wrong half the time tells us that the rule is so screwed up that it can't be called consistently by the refs on the field.

An imperfect rule, that can be administered uniformly around the league and that fans understand, is far better than the current approach of trying to come up with a perfect rule, which has led to great inconsistency in calls and reviews.I like all of this except the 2 step rule. If you have possession and 2 feet on the ground it's a catch. If you get blown up and the ball comes out then it's a fumble if you had 2 feet on the ground. Why should the rule change in the field as opposed to on the sideline?

I agree they've made it too damn complicated. Find a rule that can be enforced and stop the confusion.

Krugan
02-03-2018, 02:32 PM
I like all of this except the 2 step rule. If you have possession and 2 feet on the ground it's a catch. If you get blown up and the ball comes out then it's a fumble if you had 2 feet on the ground. Why should the rule change in the field as opposed to on the sideline?

I agree they've made it too damn complicated. Find a rule that can be enforced and stop the confusion.

This would great, if you could actually hit without worry of defenseless player or helmet to helmet.

The game is almost obsolete, and it pains me to think it.

Joel
02-04-2018, 03:24 AM
On a related note - not enough teams play the game theory here and throw deep balls when they are down hoping to complete it or get bailed out by P.I.
Seriously? That's Football 101 in the Goodell Era; EVERYONE does it. Hail Mary's have been a central strategy for any team down a lot late since before Staubach rechristened them, but current rules elevated them from last resort to first. That's why NE*s first scrimmage play in SB XLVI was a deep post to NO ONE, successfully drawing a flag—for Intentional Grounding and a SAFETY, because Brady blindly lobbed from his end zone and no one on either team was within 20 yds of where it landed.

I still contend this, the NE*s impunity and CTE have hurt NFL ratings more than anything Kaep did to force SF to cut him with his fully guaranteed 2016 salary fully intact.

FanInAZ
02-04-2018, 05:14 AM
Seriously? That's Football 101 in the Goodell Era; EVERYONE does it. Hail Mary's have been a central strategy for any team down a lot late since before Staubach rechristened them, but current rules elevated them from last resort to first. That's why NE*s first scrimmage play in SB XLVI was a deep post to NO ONE, successfully drawing a flag—for Intentional Grounding and a SAFETY, because Brady blindly lobbed from his end zone and no one on either team was within 20 yds of where it landed.

I still contend this, the NE*s impunity and CTE have hurt NFL ratings more than anything Kaep did to force SF to cut him with his fully guaranteed 2016 salary fully intact.

I can only think of 1 season a few years in which the refs threw flag every time a defender looked cross eye at a receiver, then they loosened the rule back up when the fans got sick of it. Since then, complaints about PI that aren't called far out number the ones that are. Of course the only way that we'll know which of us is right is by making an accurate count of these complaints.

Cugel
02-06-2018, 03:44 AM
What exactly would be so hard about going back to a rule that made sense: "if it looks like a catch on the field it's a catch. If not then not?" Eliminate instant replay because it just causes more problems than it's worth.

We just saw that in the Sb. Zach Ertz makes an incredible leap into the end zone with the winning TD. But, is it a TD? Nobody can cheer or boo because they have to wait until the inevitable review calls it a TD or not.

These idiot rules just throw a complete wet towel over the entire game taking all the excitement out of it. "Can we cheer now? Two minutes after the TD or do we need to wait another 3 minutes while the refs confer and the league frantically looks at all the angles in some booth in NY?" Boo!

The Glue Factory
02-08-2018, 10:32 AM
Unfortunately, the NFL doesn't seem to recognize that there are some situations that are judgement calls. Coaches will use IR to get the smallest advantage they think they can get at the risk of losing a TO. It would be great if IR could be limited to reversing glaringly obvious wrong calls rather than dickering over the spot of the ball on 4th and inches. But that's just my little pipe dream.

Buff
02-08-2018, 10:55 AM

My point was that it should be even more prevalent than it already is because it's such a big advantage for the offense... New England does it constantly because they are playing the probabilities and that is smart... Too many teams go conservative and dink and dunk trying to avoid the downside when they should be focused on capitalizing on the upside.

underrated29
02-08-2018, 12:10 PM
Isn't that essentially what they moved to last year, all reviews are primarily done at NFL HQ and the Ref on the field is more incidental and reporting the results?

Not quite. The head of refereeing (took me 2x to spell that correctly -funny looking word) is usually on the phone or something with the commentators saying what it should be. Then the call comes in wrong and we all know it. Too many different people and different opinions on it. Needs to be the head ref guy and his little team. They and they alone review and make the call. No one else. They are halfway there but not quite.

Joel
02-11-2018, 04:15 AM
What exactly would be so hard about going back to a rule that made sense: "if it looks like a catch on the field it's a catch. If not then not?" Eliminate instant replay because it just causes more problems than it's worth.
Never mind that the refs blowing an obvious onfield catch ruling during one of the Steelers dynastys AFCCGs is the whole reason IR exists in the first place.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-top-ten/0ap2000000113873/Top-Ten-Controversial-Calls-Renfro-s-catch
Note, btw, that the ball NEVER moved after Renfro caught it, not even as he fell to the ground and rolled back to his feet: Even by todays confused convoluted catch rules, that was a TD, and the replay clearly shows that—too bad the refs weren't allowed to see the replay.

If the ball touches the ground, it's a drop; if it doesn't and the guy has two feet (or one anything-else) in bounds, it's a catch. Really simple, regardless of replay.

LawDog
02-14-2018, 03:58 PM
Never mind that the refs blowing an obvious onfield catch ruling during one of the Steelers dynastys AFCCGs is the whole reason IR exists in the first place.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-top-ten/0ap2000000113873/Top-Ten-Controversial-Calls-Renfro-s-catch
Note, btw, that the ball NEVER moved after Renfro caught it, not even as he fell to the ground and rolled back to his feet: Even by todays confused convoluted catch rules, that was a TD, and the replay clearly shows that—too bad the refs weren't allowed to see the replay.

If the ball touches the ground, it's a drop; if it doesn't and the guy has two feet (or one anything-else) in bounds, it's a catch. Really simple, regardless of replay.

That's not the rule now, nor has it ever been.

OrangeHoof
02-14-2018, 06:40 PM
1) If the ball is caught and held for one full second, it's a catch. If it comes out later, it's a fumble. Two feet matters only for in/out bounds. If you are trying to trap a low throw, hands must be under the ball - then it's a catch even if it skids on the turf.

2) Make DPI a 15-yard penalty. OPI is a 10-yard penalty.

3) Remove the automatic first down (get out of jail card) on all penalties except personal fouls.

Joel
02-16-2018, 05:59 AM
That's not the rule now, nor has it ever been.
It certainly was until the Bert Emanuel Rule, which is what REALLY started all this insanity. Ever since, we've had to contend with season after season of exceptions and exceptions to the exceptions until neither the Competition Committee, refs nor anyone else can have a clear defined understanding of what is/n't a catch. The Competition Committee's been applying patch after patch annually for so long the current rule is more bug than feature. The solution's reverting to the old rule.

That's also the solution to one-dimensional offenses producing perennial SB teams, like NE*, and 4-12 teams riding a lucky streak to the playoffs only to "regress" to 6-10 a year later. I'm not suggesting anything as punitive as the original passing rules (e.g. 15 yd penalties for incompletes and loss of POSSESSION if the ball's untouched (https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-early-history-of-footballs-forward-pass-78015237/) was draconian) but football has historically restricted the pass precisely BECAUSE it gains so many more yards so much faster and so much more easily than running.

Game balance is critical to any games sustained popularity, not just because it ensures games are fair (though that's an important reason) but because it ensures outcomes aren't predetermined. A simplified view says passing's good for that because it's "unpredictable" but what we're increasingly seeing is pass-only offenses as predictable as run-only offenses: Just because football teams running basketball passing drills produce basketball scores doesn't make the game any more dynamic than a 7-3 final. What we have now is good teams exploiting the rules that make short passes to 4+ eligible receivers almost undefendable, and bad teams desperately and constantly swinging for the fences hoping to get lucky more often than not. Those are the very reasons the infant NCAA put QBs and ends in strait jackets.

So yeah, let's go back to "two feet, possession and control" regardless of location and events before/after the catch. No one ever had trouble figuring out what was and was NOT a catch was then, not even in the cases of Bert Emanuel and Mike Renfro: Emanuels "catch" was clearly incomplete by rule, else there'd have been no complaints about what "should have been" a catch being ruled incomplete, and Renfros catch was just as unambiguously a catch by rule, hence all the complaints refs who didn't see the play (even though that's their JOB) stole a critical TD from a visiting team in a Conference Championship.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-17-2018, 05:05 PM
Honestly, I don’t think they’ll change it. I also don’t think if they did and just went back to 2 feet down or 2 steps or a “football move” or whatever that it’s ever just gonna be good enough. With modern technology and 50 angles of replayed super slo mo the fans will always know the truth. It will always be in the eye of the beholder and skewed by them.

Cugel
02-18-2018, 11:29 AM

Yes, and now it's slower than ever. Perhaps the NFL is cheap and they have slow internet speeds and screen lag! YOu can just see the replay official swearing at his computer: "Damn laggy connection! Now I have to refresh my screen! This is taking forever! [whack! whack!]"

Denver Native (Carol)
02-26-2018, 04:32 PM
Adam Schefter
‏Verified account @AdamSchefter
57m57 minutes ago

NFL’s competition committee is meeting today in Indianapolis to try to simplify the catch rule, and sources are “expecting some kind of change with added clarity” to the rule before or during March owner’s meetings, per a person familiar with those talks.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-27-2018, 03:02 PM
Competition Committee studying targeting, QB protections, catch process, and ‘non-football illegal acts’ for potential rule changes

http://www.footballzebras.com/2018/02/26/competition-committee-studying-targeting-qb-protections-catch-process-and-non-football-illegal-acts-for-potential-rule-changes/

Tned
03-21-2018, 02:10 PM

An imperfect rule, that can be administered uniformly around the league and that fans understand, is far better than the current approach of trying to come up with a perfect rule, which has led to great inconsistency in calls and reviews.

New rule is pretty close to what I was hoping for.

Nomad
03-23-2018, 01:49 PM
MO....you're not going to like this.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/23/nfl-not-considering-rule-change-on-fumbles-through-the-end-zone/

gregbroncs
03-23-2018, 04:54 PM
Saw this on facebook. I like this rule. Not perfect but a far better and easier to understand rule.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/New-catch-rule-proposal-aims-to-eliminate-confusion-with-simpler-guideline/473c5f68-586f-4864-af8b-936f037dc017