PDA

View Full Version : How many dominant seasons does Von Miller have left?

dogfish
01-29-2018, 09:05 PM
i'm talking legit dominance, like playing at or at least close to a defensive player of the year level. . . and yes, FTR, i am obviously discounting the fact that he didn't have that type of statistical production this year-- i think you're just whining if you think he isn't still capable, though. . . prime years reggie white or lawrence taylor wouldn't have dominated on this year's dumpster fire of a squad. . . with that said, discuss. . .

Hawgdriver
01-29-2018, 09:05 PM
This requires a trip to the PFR vault.

BroncoWave
01-29-2018, 09:07 PM
I don't see why he couldn't have at least another 3-4 years at this level. What's he, 28?

Hawgdriver
01-29-2018, 09:17 PM
Von will be 29 next season. His career, according to PFR, is closest to

Charles Haley - 3 productive seasons left, including two pro bowls and 1 all-pro.
Daryl Washington & Shawne Merriman (we'll ignore)
Clay Matthews - decline began at age 29, 32 next year
Ware - generally highly productive until 33

Actually, PFR is out to lunch on comps.

Derrick Thomas - highly productive until 31
Kevin Greene - highly productive until 36, age 37 still starter material
Jason Taylor - (DE, but 255#) highly productive until 33
Lawrence Taylor - highly productive until 31

Hawgdriver
01-29-2018, 09:29 PM
So, it's 31-33 in general, but you have outliers like Taylor and Greene that dominated a bit longer. He could have another dominant season, DMVP type, or two left in him. About 3 years of elite level and hopefully 5-7 highly productive. That's best case.

Poet
01-29-2018, 09:29 PM
This requires a trip to the PFR vault.

One of the top players on defense this year - I think he was a top three pass rusher.

The answer is three to five. He gets a lot of love for his speed and burst, but that's not entirely what he relies upon. He will end up getting craftier as a pro, as all the great ones do (mostly).

wayninja
01-29-2018, 10:28 PM
Like the 2015 season? Probably none. It's likely downhill from there. But it's a helluva benchmark.

As far as years where he's a pro-bowler and at least team MVP, then I would say somewhere around 3, but not necessarily consecutively.

turftoad
01-29-2018, 11:54 PM
One of the top players on defense this year - I think he was a top three pass rusher.

The answer is three to five. He gets a lot of love for his speed and burst, but that's not entirely what he relies upon. He will end up getting craftier as a pro, as all the great ones do (mostly).

Not to mention that gets better against the run each year.

topscribe
01-30-2018, 12:15 AM
Not to mention that gets better against the run each year.
Von's gotten better at pass coverage, too, all which makes him probably the best all-around LB in football.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-30-2018, 12:15 AM
I see 4 all pro seasons left.

topscribe
01-30-2018, 12:18 AM
I see 4 all pro seasons left.
Very possible if it's in his DNA. Another thing, Von has been extremely picky about his diet for his entire career.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-30-2018, 12:23 AM
Very possible if it's in his DNA. Another thing, Von has been extremely picky about is diet for his entire career.

Exactly. Lawrence Taylor had a steady diet of cocaine.

topscribe
01-30-2018, 12:24 AM
lol - And a very strong DNA?

dogfish
01-30-2018, 12:25 AM

and hookers!

Timmy!
01-30-2018, 07:07 AM
Dear dogfish,

We understand you are hurt and vulernable after such a shitty season. We share the pain. That said, grab a beer and stop trying to ******* trade Von Miller. TIA.

Sincerely,
Your brothers in arms.

MasterShake
01-30-2018, 08:55 AM
https://i.imgflip.com/23m1bt.jpg

Davii
01-30-2018, 09:23 AM
The answer is as many as he wants, but seriously, I'm going to say 5. 5 dominant D-MVP level seasons and a few still good seasons at the end.

Hawgdriver
01-30-2018, 10:54 AM
I would trade Von if in return the Broncos added more wins to the roster. Simple as that. I'd rather go to the playoffs and hopefully SB with no names than sit at 5-11 with a star.

I really like Von, his brand of play, so I hope this doesn't come to pass...and I think he's got plenty of juice left...but when you are in the basement it almost seems a luxury.

aberdien
01-31-2018, 09:21 PM

dogfish
01-31-2018, 09:43 PM
Dear dogfish,

We understand you are hurt and vulernable after such a shitty season. We share the pain. That said, grab a beer and stop trying to ******* trade Von Miller. TIA.

Sincerely,
Your brothers in arms.

slow down. . . i never said we should trade von. . . there's no reason it can't be discussed, though. . . i love the guy, but there are no sacred cows. . . i'm viewing next year through through the filter of the knowledge that clownshoes vance will be back, which IMO greatly increases the odds of another lost season. . . and i'm pretty sure we could lose ten or twelve games without von just as well as we could with him, if it came right down to it. . .

if we go out and get cousins, i wouldn't even think about it-- you don't pay a 29-year-old huge money to build for five years down the road. . . that move definitely keeps you in win now mode, and you need von for that. . . if we don't get kirk, and go with a rookie QB, then i think you at least consider it. . . especially if we also gut the roster of other veteran talent, as is being rumored right now. . . i'm also assuming as of right now that we'll be changing out the coaching staff again after this coming season. . . you have to ask how quickly you can rebuild, which is what this thread is really about. . . how quickly can we do that if we don't sign cousins, and how likely is von to still be a gamewrecker at that point? and what can you get for him if you do move him? can you get multiple high picks to speed up that rebuild? when you take emotion out of it, it just comes down to playing the odds. . . personally, i keep coming back to the idea that if we don't get captain kirk, a full rebuild would give us the best long-term chance of developing back into a legit contender. . . like the current eagles squad. . . just gotta get the coach and the QB, which of course is a hell of a lot easier said than done. . .