PDA

View Full Version : Off-Season Notes, press conferences, etc.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Denver Native (Carol)
01-13-2018, 06:27 PM
Mike Klis
‏Verified account @MikeKlis
2h2 hours ago

Brock Olivo has interviewed for Cleveland's special teams coordinator position. Had tough first season with Broncos but to know Olivo is to know he's a special guy who is going to be a good coach. #9sports

Dolphins pursuing Eric Studesville to be new running backs coach
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-eric-studesville-20180111-story.html

Rick
01-13-2018, 06:57 PM
Would make sense as that is also the most likely place CJ goes.

MOtorboat
01-13-2018, 07:16 PM
Poor Browns fans.

Davii
01-13-2018, 07:23 PM
Poor Browns fans.

They've won the top draft pick two years running. It's all about your goals. Keep failing? Lower expectations!

:lol:

MOtorboat
01-13-2018, 07:30 PM
They've won the top draft pick two years running. It's all about your goals. Keep failing? Lower expectations!

:lol:

You can't really understand until you've felt it.

Davii
01-13-2018, 08:01 PM
You can't really understand until you've felt it.

You've rooted for a perennial cellar dweller at some point?

MOtorboat
01-13-2018, 08:22 PM
You've rooted for a perennial cellar dweller at some point?

I have.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-13-2018, 09:19 PM
I have.

The Royals?

Cugel
01-13-2018, 09:23 PM
Brock Olivo has interviewed for Cleveland's special teams coordinator position. Had tough first season with Broncos but to know Olivo is to know he's a special guy who is going to be a good coach. #9sports

Muhahahahahahaha! Muhahahahahahaha! :laugh:

Demonic possession. I'm putting it down to demonic possession. Nothing short of that could convince anybody to hire Olivo to coach their special teams. I mean, how many fumbles do they want their return unit to actually make? Six lost fumbles from the same guy isn't enough evidence for them that Olivo is a complete moron?

MOtorboat
01-13-2018, 11:35 PM
The Royals?

And the Nuggets.

dogfish
01-14-2018, 09:59 PM
olivo going to cleveland would be total comedy gold!

Denver Native (Carol)
01-16-2018, 10:10 PM
Mike Klis
2h2 hours ago

Baker Mayfield's character score just skyrocketed when he signed up with Jack/Tom Mills and Kevin Robinson. #9sports

Mike Klis
2h2 hours ago

Confirming Boulder-based sports agency firm Capital Sports Advisors (Jack Mills, Tom Mills, Kevin Robinson are the partners) have signed up with QB Baker Mayfield. Mills'/Robinson also rep CSU WR Michael Gallup, Temple DE/OLB Jacob Martin from Aurora's Cherokee Trail HS. #9sports

Hawgdriver
01-16-2018, 10:45 PM
Mike Klis
2h2 hours ago

Baker Mayfield's character score just skyrocketed when he signed up with Jack/Tom Mills and Kevin Robinson. #9sports

I'm glad Baker went to a church service and is now a character guy.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-16-2018, 11:00 PM
I'm glad Baker went to a church service and is now a character guy.

I couldn’t believe what I was reading. His character questions are swinging the other way because of his agent. What???

Denver Native (Carol)
01-16-2018, 11:20 PM
The Broncos requested to coach Oklahoma quarterback and Heisman winner Baker Mayfield at the upcoming Senior Bowl. Now Mayfield has invested in Colorado.

Mayfield signed with Boulder-based management company Capital Sports Advisors, with local agents Tom and Jack Mills, and Kevin Robinson. The agency also represents Colorado State receiver Michael Gallup, whom the Broncos will coach on the North team at the Senior Bowl as well, and Jacob Martin, a defensive lineman out of Temple who attended Cherokee Trail High School in Aurora.

Mayfield had reportedly considered entering the draft without an NFLPA-certified agent, but ultimately went with Capital Sports to guide him through the process and, perhaps, sell him to teams who might have concerns about his character and a 2017 arrest.

rest - https://www.denverpost.com/2018/01/16/baker-mayfield-signs-boulder-agents-capital-sports-advisors/

NightTerror218
01-16-2018, 11:38 PM
Bolles made all rookie team

dogfish
01-17-2018, 12:12 AM
I couldn’t believe what I was reading. His character questions are swinging the other way because of his agent. What???

i apparently need to get an agent. . .

Davii
01-17-2018, 12:46 AM

You want to be more of a character?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-17-2018, 03:23 PM
Mike Klis
54m54 minutes ago

Andreas Knappe, a 6-9 OT from Denmark, has signed with Broncos. He's bounced around league some. WR Kenny Bell, whose dad Ken Bell set up "The Drive" as a Broncos kick returner, also signed with Denver. Broncos also signed former Bengals DL DeShawn Williams. #9sports

Rick
01-17-2018, 03:28 PM
6-9?!? Can he play QB?

dogfish
01-17-2018, 03:46 PM
You want to be more of a character?

no, no. . . i want to trick people into thinking i have character. . . :laugh:

turftoad
01-17-2018, 04:40 PM
And the Nuggets.

Except for when George Karl was the coach! :D

dogfish
01-17-2018, 04:44 PM

:tsk::tsk:

MOtorboat
01-17-2018, 04:53 PM

Dead to me.

underrated29
01-17-2018, 04:56 PM
Mike Klis
54m54 minutes ago

Andreas Knappe, a 6-9 OT from Denmark, has signed with Broncos. He's bounced around league some. WR Kenny Bell, whose dad Ken Bell set up "The Drive" as a Broncos kick returner, also signed with Denver. Broncos also signed former Bengals DL DeShawn Williams. #9sports

Hey alright Kenny Bell.

I wanted him as a udfa, a couple years ago when he came out. He is a pretty good WR and Returner iirc. I am cool with trying to develop this guy. Maybe he went rd 5 to someone? Titans? I dont remember, but I remember I liked him enough as a flier. This is good. He can actually compete in camp and not just be a nothing. He can push someone.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-17-2018, 07:25 PM
Mike Klis
1h1 hour ago

Confirming Eric Studesville is Miami Dolphins new RB coach/Running game coordinator for Adam Gase’s Dolphins. NYG head coach gig still longshot but Studesville had to make sure he had job before Gase moved on. #9sports

James Palmer
‏Verified account @JamesPalmerTV
1h1 hour ago

Peyton Manning has been selected as the 10th recipient of the Lamar Hunt Award for Professional Football for his positive impact to the game, both on and off the field, during his illustrious playing career.

VonDoom
01-18-2018, 12:24 PM
According to Mike Klis of 9News on Orange and Blue 760, the Denver Broncos have identified Trevor Siemian as the quarterback they will most likely try to move this offseason. Klis also confirmed that Brock Osweiler will not be pursued at all during free agency.

This report also suggests that Elway wants to keep Lynch around a little longer in the hopes of the former first-round pick doing something to justify a roster spot. The reasoning behind this line of thinking is because I find it unlikely the team will get rid of all of their quarterbacks in one offseason.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2018/1/18/16905592/broncos-to-move-trevor-siemian

underrated29
01-18-2018, 12:26 PM
https://www.milehighreport.com/2018/1/18/16905592/broncos-to-move-trevor-siemian

For the most part we already knew this.
I am a bit surprised they didnt want to keep brock around for cheap. He was ok as a backup and cheap as balls. But that is fine with me.

Kelly,
Lynch
FA QB
draft QB

dogfish
01-18-2018, 12:48 PM
I am a bit surprised they didnt want to keep brock around for cheap. He was ok as a backup and cheap as balls. But that is fine with me.

Kelly,
Lynch
FA QB
draft QB

yep, that's how it's going to go. . . trade trigga f@*!face for a conditional 6th or 7th, let brock go, sign a transitional vet, and draft a QBOTF in the first two rounds. . . unless we sign kirk cousins, which i still think is elway's Plan A. . . but Plan B is tyrod taylor or whoever, mayfield/allen/rudolph/jackson, and they keep lynch as the 3rd stringer-- gives him another year to try to develop, and saves us the cap hit. . . and chad kelly goes on the practice squad. . .

Slick
01-18-2018, 12:56 PM
Mike Klis
54m54 minutes ago

This is hilarious. Ken Bell "set up" the drive by fumbling the kickoff and leaving Denver stranded on the 2 yard line. He gets credit for that?

underrated29
01-18-2018, 01:00 PM
yep, that's how it's going to go. . . trade trigga f@*!face for a conditional 6th or 7th, let brock go, sign a transitional vet, and draft a QBOTF in the first two rounds. . . unless we sign kirk cousins, which i still think is elway's Plan A. . . but Plan B is tyrod taylor or whoever, mayfield/allen/rudolph/jackson, and they keep lynch as the 3rd stringer-- gives him another year to try to develop, and saves us the cap hit. . . and chad kelly goes on the practice squad. . .

Kirk is plan A. We have heard this.
Sadly, they really really like Mayfield as plan B. I do not know why, but they like him a lot. So prepare yourself if we dont and Cappy Kirk, for Baker to be our guy at 5.

dogfish
01-18-2018, 01:08 PM
Kirk is plan A. We have heard this.
Sadly, they really really like Mayfield as plan B. I do not know why, but they like him a lot. So prepare yourself if we dont and Cappy Kirk, for Baker to be our guy at 5.

it would suck nuts if we actually picked him at five-- but i'll take him over josh allen all day, err day, and twice on sunday. . . at least baker can complete passes against college defenses. . . i kinda think we're going to land cousins, though. . . i get the impression that he wants out of washington, and i trust elway to get his guy over shit programs like the browns and jets. . . they have to do their due diligence on the college prospects, of course, and rightfully so. . . i really think we're gonna be all in on captain kirk, though. . .

VonDoom
01-18-2018, 01:14 PM

Kelly,
Lynch
FA QB
draft QB

You have any idea what Brock's market will be like? Honest question. Will he really be "cheap" as a backup? We paid him league minimum last year, I'm sure he could do better.

Davii
01-18-2018, 01:28 PM
You have any idea what Brock's market will be like? Honest question. Will he really be "cheap" as a backup? We paid him league minimum last year, I'm sure he could do better.

I'm sure Brock will get slightly above average backup QB pay. He won't be anywhere near as cheap as he was this past year, that much is certain.

chazoe60
01-18-2018, 01:45 PM
it would suck nuts if we actually picked him at five-- but i'll take him over josh allen all day, err day, and twice on sunday. . . at least baker can complete passes against college defenses. . . i kinda think we're going to land cousins, though. . . i get the impression that he wants out of washington, and i trust elway to get his guy over shit programs like the browns and jets. . . they have to do their due diligence on the college prospects, of course, and rightfully so. . . i really think we're gonna be all in on captain kirk, though. . .

The team that scares me is the Jags. They have to be pretty appealing to Cousins right now.

I'm coming around to the idea of Mayfield.

Rick
01-18-2018, 01:56 PM
This is hilarious. Ken Bell "set up" the drive by fumbling the kickoff and leaving Denver stranded on the 2 yard line. He gets credit for that?

Everyone has their part to play.

Freyaka
01-18-2018, 02:09 PM

I'm not sure that even signing Jesus Christ as your agent would help dog.

dogfish
01-18-2018, 02:16 PM

i was leaning more towards hawg anyway. . .

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-18-2018, 02:21 PM

Of course, the drive isn’t nearly as impress if it starts at the 20. :D

Denver Native (Carol)
01-18-2018, 02:21 PM
Nicki Jhabvala
‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala
1h1 hour ago

The Senior Bowl North team, coached by the Broncos, will include Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen and Luke Falk.

https://www.seniorbowl.com/rosters-2018.php?squad=North …

Nicki Jhabvala
2h2 hours ago

In Todd McShay's first mock draft, he had the Broncos taking Josh Allen at No. 5. In Mel Kiper's first mock draft, he has the Broncos taking Sam Darnold.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-18-2018, 02:29 PM
Nicki Jhabvala
1h1 hour ago

The Senior Bowl North team, coached by the Broncos, will include Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen and Luke Falk.

https://www.seniorbowl.com/rosters-2018.php?squad=North …

Nicki Jhabvala
2h2 hours ago

In Todd McShay's first mock draft, he had the Broncos taking Josh Allen at No. 5. In Mel Kiper's first mock draft, he has the Broncos taking Sam Darnold.

Mel Kiper has Allen going #1

VonDoom
01-18-2018, 02:40 PM

I would say that's ridiculous, but this is the Browns we're talking about

MOtorboat
01-18-2018, 02:43 PM
I would say that's ridiculous, but this is the Browns we're talking about

Allen should wow people in drills and this is drill season. I expect Darnold and Rosen to throw for scouts in limited drills at pro days. Allen will play in the Senior Bowl, and will likely throw at the combine and at a pro day somewhere (Wyoming might not host one). There's a chance that just his exposure makes someone fall in love with his arm.

Freyaka
01-18-2018, 02:53 PM

Mel Kiper sniffs glue before he does every mock draft and he frequently ate paint chips as a child.

chazoe60
01-18-2018, 03:03 PM

Jesus would be a terrible agent. The Devil on the other hand would be amazing.

Freyaka
01-18-2018, 03:09 PM
Jesus would be a terrible agent. The Devil on the other hand would be amazing.

You may actually have a solid point there.

LawDog
01-18-2018, 03:21 PM
I could see Belicheat making a trade for Siemian to back up Tom Shady. Probably won't happen, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Hawgdriver
01-18-2018, 04:15 PM
i was leaning more towards hawg anyway. . .

Not sure if Hawg Baal & Mephistopheles is the right fit for you if you want to present a clean cut image...

dogfish
01-18-2018, 04:48 PM
Not sure if Hawg Baal & Mephistopheles is the right fit for you if you want to present a clean cut image...

nevermind that, what's your retainer?

VonDoom
01-18-2018, 04:55 PM
Mel Kiper sniffs glue before he does every mock draft and he frequently ate paint chips as a child.

Kiper also pulled out the ol' "stats are for losers" today when talking about his mock, so there's that.

Hawgdriver
01-18-2018, 05:30 PM
nevermind that, what's your retainer?

it's complicated, don't trouble yourself about such things...I'll send over our standard contract, nothing fancy...

kubYWqj8Uhc

Cugel
01-18-2018, 06:38 PM
Kiper also pulled out the ol' "stats are for losers" today when talking about his mock, so there's that.

There's no point mocking Mel Kiper's stupidity. He says NOTHING original. He talks to everybody. He's the original draft big-shot and knows everybody and people talk. He just assembles the talk and reports it as his own.

So, if he's saying that the Browns are considering Josh Allen then you can bet someone in the Browns organization told him that the Browns are considering Josh Allen.

Your mistake is in thinking that Mel Kiper ever had an original thought of his own.

Timmy!
01-18-2018, 07:56 PM
^^^ somebody get some towels in here, the irony is dripping everywhere.

Davii
01-18-2018, 08:19 PM
There's no point mocking Mel Kiper's stupidity. He says NOTHING original. He talks to everybody. He's the original draft big-shot and knows everybody and people talk. He just assembles the talk and reports it as his own.

So, if he's saying that the Browns are considering Josh Allen then you can bet someone in the Browns organization told him that the Browns are considering Josh Allen.

Your mistake is in thinking that Mel Kiper ever had an original thought of his own.

So, a reporter talks to other people and reports what they say?

Interesting.

Freyaka
01-19-2018, 10:08 AM

Oh man, Ryan Leaf got him good on Twitter. Someone posted that Kiper picked Allen to go first overall, Ryan Leaf replied "ya, but he also picked me to go over Peyton Manning, so there's that..."

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-19-2018, 01:41 PM
Oh man, Ryan Leaf got him good on Twitter. Someone posted that Kiper picked Allen to go first overall, Ryan Leaf replied "ya, but he also picked me to go over Peyton Manning, so there's that..."

That is epic.

dogfish
01-19-2018, 04:41 PM
super epic. . .

MOtorboat
01-19-2018, 07:14 PM

They allow twitter in prison?

Davii
01-19-2018, 07:19 PM
They allow twitter in prison?

Depends on the prison. Also, he's been out since very shortly after he was sentenced to 4 years. Prison math.

MOtorboat
01-19-2018, 07:23 PM
Depends on the prison. Also, he's been out since very shortly after he was sentenced to 4 years. Prison math.

I figured. What did he do? Steal some shit to feed his drug habit?

Cugel
01-19-2018, 08:42 PM

That just means he's a moron, which everybody knows. What that does NOT mean is that he's wrong. Being a giant draft celebrity, he talks to everybody and knows everybody and gets all kinds of info from sources on teams. Then he repeats the stuff like he thought of it.

When his info is good, he sounds like a genius, and when it's bad like a moron. But, I don't know if he has any original thoughts.

dogfish
01-19-2018, 11:14 PM
not to be outdone by our raid on their scrubs, the bears have pilfered one of our scrubs (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-bears-hiring-brock-olivo-assistant-special-teams-coach-20180119-story.html) (brock olivo) in return. . . :lol:

Canmore
01-19-2018, 11:34 PM
I figured. What did he do? Steal some shit to feed his drug habit?

Exactly!

Denver Native (Carol)
01-23-2018, 11:01 AM
MOBILE, Ala. — Josh Allen didn’t get a chance to talk to John Elway when the Broncos’ general manager stood on the sideline of the Potato Bowl in Boise, Idaho, in December. But he saw enough.

As Allen glanced over during his three-touchdown performance that afternoon, he saw the Broncos’ plans for 2018 beginning to take shape.

“It’s fun to look over there and see a guy with as a great stature as John Elway,” Allen said Monday at the Senior Bowl’s introductory news conference. “It’s really cool that he went to one of my games. It speaks a lot about what the Denver Broncos are trying to do this offseason. I actually got a chance to speak with them right now. Super good guy, super down to earth and obviously he wants to win. And he’s doing the right thing by being down here and scouting as many players as he can and ultimately he’s going to make the best decision for that franchise.”

rest - https://www.denverpost.com/2018/01/22/josh-allen-closeup-with-broncos-senior-bowl/

Allen's full interview here. He appears to be very intelligent - https://www.seniorbowl.com/news-highlights-detail.php?news=777

Tned
01-23-2018, 01:10 PM
MileHighReport is saying that Walter's football and Sporting News is saying they are going to go hard after Cousins and Lynch might be gone whether drafting a QB or signing Cousins. No link to Walters or Sporting News with this, only MHR.

Walter Football like Sporting News’s Eric Galko is saying that many expect the Broncos will make a “huge run” for Kirk Cousins and that Lynch’s future with the team will be in danger if they sign him.

Speaking of Lynch, it will be interesting to see if he becomes available this offseason. Sources with Denver tell me that Lynch was not popular in the locker room and obviously has underwhelmed to the point that the Broncos are aggressively scouting the top 2018 quarterbacks while also considering the veteran market for a new starter. In speaking to Denver sources and those at other teams, many are expecting the Broncos to make a huge run at acquiring Kirk Cousins this offsesaon. If Denver lands Cousins, Lynch could be available in a trade and will have to fight for a roster spot.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2018/1/23/16922312/rumor-paxton-lynchs-future-with-the-broncos-in-danger-if-they-sign-kirk-cousins

Freyaka
01-23-2018, 01:15 PM
A goofy clown who doesn't take his job seriously and flat out sucked when it matters is not popular in the locker room? Shocker...

Tned
01-23-2018, 01:26 PM
A goofy clown who doesn't take his job seriously and flat out sucked when it matters is not popular in the locker room? Shocker...

I have it on good authority that PL read this thread and took exception to the word clown.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-23-2018, 01:53 PM

I’m sure he was one of the guys that Wolfe was referring to when he described young guys as “entitled”. Lynch was a 1st round pick, he knew he’d get the start eventually no matter how hard he worked.

LawDog
01-23-2018, 02:42 PM
I have it on good authority that PL read this thread and took exception to the word clown.

I'm a pirate, damnit.

Freyaka
01-23-2018, 03:04 PM

Sorry "Clown Pirate" :D

Freyaka
01-23-2018, 03:04 PM
I’m sure he was one of the guys that Wolfe was referring to when he described young guys as “entitled”. Lynch was a 1st round pick, he knew he’d get the start eventually no matter how hard he worked.

I'm positive you are right. During preseason basically seemed to not give a crap because he thought the job was his. There was talk in the offseason that when they named TS starter he was caught off guard by it.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-23-2018, 04:01 PM
I'm a pirate, damnit.
Thank you for spelling damnit correctly.

NightTrainLayne
01-23-2018, 04:43 PM

He put the Browns right where we wanted 'em! Of course he gets credit!

Cugel
01-23-2018, 06:04 PM
I'm positive you are right. During preseason basically seemed to not give a crap because he thought the job was his. There was talk in the offseason that when they named TS starter he was caught off guard by it.

All true, but it hardly matters at this point. He collected his $2m or whatever, and they are moving on. He can take that money and invest it in a good retirement account and retire to the Bahamas where nobody will ever care that he was a former 1st round draft pick.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-23-2018, 07:09 PM
MOBILE, Ala. – Vance Joseph walked into an auditorium inside a waterfront hotel here on Monday evening and made his way around the room to shake hands and introduce himself. Then he got straight to work. A Powerpoint presentation flashed onto a video screen as dozens of aspiring NFL players watched intently, hanging on his every word.

Joseph talked to them about the life of a pro, with hours of meetings and film study. He talked to them about what he’s looking for when he roams the sidelines of the Senior Bowl this week and evaluates each player’s potential as a future Bronco. “We want Broncos,” he told them, and it’s about the player, but also the person. It’s about work ethic and leadership and “guys who just love football.”

rest - https://www.denverpost.com/2018/01/23/vance-joseph-senior-bowl-quarterback-evaluation/

Denver Native (Carol)
01-24-2018, 10:46 AM
Mike Klis
6m6 minutes ago

After drawing strong interest from multiple teams, former Broncos WR Tyke Tolbert will be new WR coach for NY Giants, per league source. #9sports

dogfish
01-24-2018, 12:02 PM
Mike Klis
6m6 minutes ago

After drawing strong interest from multiple teams, former Broncos WR Tyke Tolbert will be new WR coach for NY Giants, per league source. #9sports

have fun listening to odell's crying, tyke. . .

Denver Native (Carol)
01-24-2018, 12:56 PM
Mike Klis
59m59 minutes ago

Mike McCoy is interviewing now with new head coach Steve Wilks for Arizona offensive coordinator job. Sounds like it’s between McCoy and Darrell Bevell. #9sports

slim
01-24-2018, 12:58 PM
i didn't realize the Cards fired Arians.

I think he is a good coach.

dogfish
01-24-2018, 12:59 PM

he retired. . . :listen:

Freyaka
01-24-2018, 12:59 PM

He retired. I mean, you could take the Kubiak route and claim that "retirement" = fired I suppose, which would be stupid.

Cugel
01-24-2018, 01:34 PM
He retired. I mean, you could take the Kubiak route and claim that "retirement" = fired I suppose, which would be stupid.

Elway wanted Kubiak to return for sure. But, he also wanted to fire a bunch of his assistant coaches starting with Rick Dennison. Kubiak didn't want that and used his health issues to walk out the door.

Obviously there were no hard feelings because Elway talked Kubiak back as his offensive personnel guy to improve the Broncos terrible drafting and FA around offensive players, especially QBs. That leaves Sullivan in charge of scouting defensive players, but Kubiak will have the key role in evaluating offensive talent in this draft.

Hopefully Elway will listen to him, because while even a blind squirrel can always find an acorn once in a while, he hasn't been able to find a QB or any pro-bowl offensive talent in recent drafts.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-24-2018, 01:47 PM
From article

On Monday, Kubiak made his retirement from the Broncos official in an emotional press conference featuring he and his friend, Elway.

However, this wasn’t news to Elway. While the players, coaches and organization were told by Kubiak about his plans to step away from the team after the final game of the season, Elway was informed eight days before — the Saturday night before the Week 16 game against the Kansas City Chiefs.

Health concerns loomed all season long for Kubiak, and while he was certain of his decision, it was anything but easy for him to tell his boss, and friend, that it was time for him to retire. On Christmas Eve, when the team was settled into their hotel in Kansas City in preparation for their game against the Chiefs the next day, Kubiak called Elway to his room to deliver the news.

full article - http://bsndenver.com/thanks-to-john-elway-the-friend-gary-kubiak-says-goodbye-to-the-denver-broncos-at-peace/

Denver Native (Carol)
01-24-2018, 02:16 PM
MOBILE, Ala. — Tom McMahon, the Broncos’ new special teams coordinator who drew high praise from former Colts kicker Pat McAfee, said he has a broad vision for correcting Denver’s myriad issues in that phase.

“The biggest philosophy I have is half-court offense and full-court defense,” he said Tuesday following the North team’s practice at the Senior Bowl. “Offensively, from a return standpoint, we want to give our offense a half court to work with. We want to give our defense a full court. In essence, what we’re really trying to do is field position. If we get a turnover, for example, we don’t call it a turnover on our special teams. We’ll call it points. Any turnover on special teams, because of the ball being punted 50 yards or kicked 60 yards, when you get a turnover, it’s already in field-goal range. We call it points. All we’re trying to do is half-court offense and full-court defense and control field position.”

rest - https://www.denverpost.com/2018/01/24/broncos-notes-senior-bowl-day-2/

slim
01-24-2018, 02:27 PM
he retired. . . :listen:

I see. I guess I should try reading a newspaper sometime.

Freyaka
01-24-2018, 02:33 PM
From article

full article - http://bsndenver.com/thanks-to-john-elway-the-friend-gary-kubiak-says-goodbye-to-the-denver-broncos-at-peace/

It amazes me that people try and say "oh, but he was forced to retire"

Ya, that's why he's still with us and got promoted to a cushy position this offseason... Riiiiiiiiighhht... He retired due to his health, any other story is just grasping at straws.

Freyaka
01-24-2018, 02:33 PM

No, don't do that...there is nothing worthwhile in newspapers these days.

dogfish
01-24-2018, 03:00 PM

or fire up the internets. . .

Denver Native (Carol)
01-24-2018, 07:18 PM
MOBILE, Ala. — While most eyes have been fixated on two quarterbacks auditioning in pads and jerseys at Ladd-Peebles Stadium this week, it’s hard to miss the quartet of legends standing along the sideline.

John Elway, the Broncos Hall of Famer and general manager; Gary Kubiak, his backup-turned-right-hand man; Dan Marino, the Miami Dolphins legend and current adviser; and John Lynch, a Broncos Ring of Famer and current San Francisco 49ers GM all stood within arm’s reach of one another to view Day 2 of practice for the Senior Bowl.

Where Baker Mayfield’s feet moved, their eyes shifted. Where Josh Allen’s throws landed, their heads turned.

There was little secrecy in their presence and their focus as they returned to the same spot to watch the same set of players showcase their talents ahead of the draft.

rest - https://www.denverpost.com/2018/01/24/john-elway-senior-bowl/

Denver Native (Carol)
01-24-2018, 07:21 PM
MOBILE, Ala. — For a moment, Baker Mayfield pulled off his crimson Oklahoma helmet, and the swarm of media at Ladd-Peebles Stadium on Tuesday lunged forward toward the Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback.

But then Mayfield donned the helmet again — his eyes disappearing behind a red, reflective visor — and joined UCLA center Scott Quessenberry for some extra snaps under center.

The media didn’t disperse, though. Instead, the dozens of reporters and cameras formed a circle just big enough for Mayfield to take his drop.

As they will be all week at the Senior Bowl and in the months leading up to the draft, all eyes were on Mayfield.

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Baker-Mayfield-If-John-Elway-asks-you-to-be-on-his-team-you-dont-say-no/ee2c511f-ce57-47a9-9849-010025d6a881

slim
01-24-2018, 08:42 PM
or fire up the internets. . .

Sounds exhausting

Denver Native (Carol)
01-24-2018, 11:24 PM
DENVER (CBS4) – Hall of Fame running back Terrell Davis dropped by the CBS4 studios Wednesday to talk about the future of the Broncos, the upcoming Super Bowl and his new business venture.

“I’m not a big fan of rookie quarterbacks,” said Davis when asked what the Broncos should do moving forward at that position. “I don’t want to go after rookie quarterbacks, because that’s a crapshoot.”

“I like (Kansas City Chiefs quarterback) Alex Smith just a little bit better than (Washington Redskins quarterback) Kirk Cousins,” he added, referring to two veterans who might be available on the free agent market. “I think Alex’s demeanor, and what he brings to the game is consistent. You can win with consistency. My first pick would be Alex Smith and then I would go Kirk Cousins after that.”

rest - plus video - http://denver.cbslocal.com/2018/01/24/terrell-davis-broncos-quarterbacks/

Cugel
01-25-2018, 04:24 PM
“I like (Kansas City Chiefs quarterback) Alex Smith just a little bit better than (Washington Redskins quarterback) Kirk Cousins,” he added, referring to two veterans who might be available on the free agent market. “I think Alex’s demeanor, and what he brings to the game is consistent. You can win with consistency. My first pick would be Alex Smith and then I would go Kirk Cousins after that.”

I'd agree with TD, in that Alex Smith will cost no more than $20m a year, and not $30m like Cousins is likely to get (approx.), but the Chefs own his rights and won't trade him cheaply. Can't see Elway giving up a 2nd or 3rd round pick to get Alex Smith, not when they have so many other needs.

Of course, IF the Chefs were willing to deal him for a 5th rounder or something, that might be an option, especially if Cousins re-signs with the Redskins or chooses another team with more money. I don't see them trading him to Denver though.

LawDog
01-25-2018, 04:54 PM
I'd agree with TD, in that Alex Smith will cost no more than $20m a year, and not $30m like Cousins is likely to get (approx.), but the Chefs own his rights and won't trade him cheaply. Can't see Elway giving up a 2nd or 3rd round pick to get Alex Smith, not when they have so many other needs.

Of course, IF the Chefs were willing to deal him for a 5th rounder or something, that might be an option, especially if Cousins re-signs with the Redskins or chooses another team with more money. I don't see them trading him to Denver though.

Depends entirely on how the Chefs feel about Mahomes. Smith will only make $17M in 2018 and then becomes a UFA. If they want to get anything for him, now is the time to do it. Otherwise they pay his salary as insurance against a Mahomes melt down, and then let him walk (if Mahomes pans out), or pay him top dollar in the FA market (to keep him if Mahomes fails). I think that situation actually drives down his trade value, at least I would use it as leverage if I was negotiating a trade for him.

dogfish
01-25-2018, 06:28 PM
Sounds exhausting

slim, are you a nihilist?

BroncoJoe
01-25-2018, 06:29 PM

slim is everything, and nothing. At the same time.

It's extraordinary, really.

slim
01-25-2018, 06:52 PM

No, mostly English/German.

dogfish
01-25-2018, 06:58 PM
slim is everything, and nothing. At the same time.

It's extraordinary, really.

like an enigma wrapped in a riddle, wrapped in double-smoked bacon?

No, mostly English/German.

close enough. . .

VonDoom
01-26-2018, 04:00 PM
Someone on Twitter asked Allbright about possible Broncos QB plans:

https://twitter.com/allbrightnfl/status/956984847393804289

BroncoJoe
01-26-2018, 04:22 PM

Honestly, I could (and would prefer) to go with Plan B.

Poet
01-26-2018, 04:23 PM
Honestly, I could (and would prefer) to go with Plan B.

I'd rather skip the Keenum part. If we're going to rebuild, then just rebuild. Let the kid learn on the job.

BroncoJoe
01-26-2018, 04:24 PM
I'd rather skip the Keenum part. If we're going to rebuild, then just rebuild. Let the kid learn on the job.

Plan C?

I could live with that as well. I do think we need some kind of veteran on the roster though. We don't have that now.

VonDoom
01-26-2018, 04:36 PM
Plan C?

I could live with that as well. I do think we need some kind of veteran on the roster though. We don't have that now.

Yeah this is why I like plan B as well. If the rookie beats out the vet in TC, then all the better. If not, at least we have a competent placeholder

Poet
01-26-2018, 04:40 PM
I don't want the veteran to retard the rookie's development. And after TS, I don't want to watch another placeholder. Get a real guy and let him go. No strings attached.

VonDoom
01-26-2018, 04:54 PM
I don't want the veteran to retard the rookie's development. And after TS, I don't want to watch another placeholder. Get a real guy and let him go. No strings attached.

Keenum is better than Siemian. And as I’ve said, there needs to be a contingency plan at QB. We can’t just decide a rookie will start and do nothing else

topscribe
01-26-2018, 05:02 PM

https://twitter.com/allbrightnfl/status/956984847393804289
Or maybe Foles + Baker?

CoachChaz
01-26-2018, 05:06 PM
An even cheaper route that I would be okay with would be a Tyrod Taylor/Mayfield combo.

CoachChaz
01-26-2018, 05:07 PM
With the assumption that Philly would trade him...especially if he wins the Super Bowl.

topscribe
01-26-2018, 05:08 PM
Interesting article from MHR:

I asked Sporting News’s Eric Galko if the week spent with quarterback Baker Mayfield changed
their apparent free agency plan of making a “big offer” to quarterback Kirk Cousins. Well, despite an
impressive week from Mayfield the Broncos appear to be major players for Kirk Cousins services.

Rest: https://tinyurl.com/ybq7hlpc

Cugel
01-26-2018, 08:37 PM
Interesting article from MHR:

rest: https://tinyurl.com/ybq7hlpc

John Elway does not want to wait 2 or 3 years for a QB to develop. He wants to win championships now. If he can find a FA QB he thinks can win the SB with his team, he will do whatever he can to sign that QB and use his high draft picks on strengthening the team around that QB.

That would be ideal of course. They use the #5 pick on the best player available, not a QB. They might even be able to trade back in the first round with some QB hungry team and still get an impact player + another draft pick they can use to further strengthen the roster.

There is all kinds of talent you can get at #5 of course.

Cugel
01-26-2018, 08:39 PM
An even cheaper route that I would be okay with would be a Tyrod Taylor/Mayfield combo.

I thought so too, but Elway does not appear, from the first reports to have any interest in Taylor. I don't know if this is true, or whether he's hiding his interest until FA starts.

Cugel
01-26-2018, 08:40 PM
With the assumption that Philly would trade him...especially if he wins the Super Bowl.

According to Adam Schefter Foles is going nowhere. He's under contract for next season. If they were to trade him they would want a ridiculous price, and why would they trade him if they didn't have to?

He's turning out to be a hell of a great insurance policy!

topscribe
01-26-2018, 10:30 PM
According to Adam Schefter Foles is going nowhere. He's under contract for next season. If they were to trade him they would want a ridiculous price, and why would they trade him if they didn't have to?

He's turning out to be a hell of a great insurance policy!
Any QB who can help to turn the Broncos back into a contender will come at a ridiculous price.
I'm not sure Foles wants to languish away on the bench behind Wentz when he likely feels he
is worthy as a starter. We'll see. Knowing Elway, one thing we may well see is something we
never expected . . .

Denver Native (Carol)
01-28-2018, 05:44 PM
I will just post this here. Von was voted defensive player for the Pro Bowl.

dogfish
01-28-2018, 05:48 PM
Any QB who can help to turn the Broncos back into a contender will come at a ridiculous price.
I'm not sure Foles wants to languish away on the bench behind Wentz when he likely feels he
is worthy as a starter. We'll see. Knowing Elway, one thing we may well see is something we
never expected . . .

is wentz even going to be ready to start the season? foles is worth more to them than he would be to us, IMO. . .

topscribe
01-28-2018, 08:20 PM
is wentz even going to be ready to start the season? foles is worth more to them than he would be to us, IMO. . .
That is certainly another consideration.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-31-2018, 02:41 PM
DENVER -- Von Miller expects more -- from himself and the Broncos quarterbacks.

Appearing on ESPN's First Take from the site of Super Bowl 52, Miller addressed the question hanging over the Broncos' offseason like an anvil.

What is going on with the Broncos' quarterback position?

Only the Browns performed worse than Denver in 2017 with the Broncos making six changes under center during a dreadful last-place finish in the AFC West. Miller, showing his evolution as a leader, pointed the finger at himself as he discussed the most important factor in the Broncos' recovery.

rest - https://www.thedenverchannel.com/sports/broncos/von-miller-calls-2017-season-regular-discusses-broncos-quarterback-play-aqib-talibs-future

Cugel
01-31-2018, 05:09 PM
Adam Schefter reports that the Redskins have released Kirk Cousins in the wake of the trade for Alex Smith, which netted the Chiefs the Redskins 3rd round pick, Plus the Chiefs get CB Kendall Fuller whom they view as a starting CB. All for a QB who did not fit into the Chiefs plans!

MOtorboat
01-31-2018, 05:13 PM
Adam Schefter reports that the Redskins have released Kirk Cousins in the wake of the trade for Alex Smith, which netted the Chiefs the Redskins 3rd round pick, Plus the Chiefs get CB Kendall Fuller whom they view as a starting CB. All for a QB who did not fit into the Chiefs plans!

Hey Buff...

Denver Native (Carol)
01-31-2018, 05:15 PM

That's interesting. There is nothing on Adams' twitter in regards to that, or nothing within ESPN.

MOtorboat
01-31-2018, 05:23 PM

Can we get a link, show reference? Did you get duped by a fake twitter account?

slim
01-31-2018, 05:26 PM
Can we get a link, show reference? Did you get duped by a fake twitter account?

http://1043thefan.com/the-drive-with-big-al-d-mac/?

MOtorboat
01-31-2018, 05:27 PM
http://1043thefan.com/the-drive-with-big-al-d-mac/?

So Schefter is reporting it on 104.3 but nowhere else?

slim
01-31-2018, 05:30 PM
So Schefter is reporting it on 104.3 but nowhere else?

I'm not sure if he is reporting it on 104.3.

I have not heard Cugel's play by play of today's broadcast yet.

Ziggy
01-31-2018, 05:51 PM
The Redskins can't release Kirk Cousins. He's not under contract with them.

MOtorboat
01-31-2018, 05:55 PM

His tagged contract doesn’t last until Feb. 28 like everyone else’s?

Rick
01-31-2018, 06:12 PM
If actually released then that is cool, they are doing him a solid not making him wait.

Would sort of make up for jerking him around like they have.

Buff
01-31-2018, 06:26 PM

Yes he is - the 2017 league year stretches until the new one begins on March 14.

Ziggy
01-31-2018, 06:29 PM
His tagged contract doesn’t last until Feb. 28 like everyone else’s?

Yeah I think you're right Mo. I don't see the Skins doing Cousins any favors by cutting him now though. I think there's some bad blood there.

nevcraw
01-31-2018, 07:20 PM
If actually released then that is cool, they are doing him a solid not making him wait.

Would sort of make up for jerking him around like they have.

I’d love To be jerked around like Kirk cousins. Lol. What did he make 50 mil in 2 years. Awful!!!

dogfish
01-31-2018, 08:52 PM
completely unsubstantiated rumor here, so nobody freak out on me-- i think it's interesting enough to post, though. . . i was listening to orange and blue 760 earlier when i was in the car. . . one of the hosts (i believe it might have been brandon kristal, not sure) said that his sources told him that the broncos are likely to cut darian stewart in the off-season, that they probably won't make an offer to keep todd davis, and that they would also like to trade or move on from brandon marshall. . . he said it's not about the small amount of cap savings they would get, but that they're just ready to move on from those guys. . . again, obviously take it with a grain of salt. . . but also keep in mind that we heard rumors about TJ's release weeks before it happened, and that the rumors about talib, sanders and CJ have been pretty consistent. . . there could very well be smoke along with this fire-- don't be shocked if a pretty significant roster purge is in the offing. . .

Poet
01-31-2018, 09:03 PM
completely unsubstantiated rumor here, so nobody freak out on me-- i think it's interesting enough to post, though. . . i was listening to orange and blue 760 earlier when i was in the car. . . one of the hosts (i believe it might have been brandon kristal, not sure) said that his sources told him that the broncos are likely to cut darian stewart in the off-season, that they probably won't make an offer to keep todd davis, and that they would also like to trade or move on from brandon marshall. . . he said it's not about the small amount of cap savings they would get, but that they're just ready to move on from those guys. . . again, obviously take it with a grain of salt. . . but also keep in mind that we heard rumors about TJ's release weeks before it happened, and that the rumors about talib, sanders and CJ have been pretty consistent. . . there could very well be smoke along with this fire-- don't be shocked if a pretty significant roster purge is in the offing. . .

Just burn the roster down then. The notion that we would purge a chunk of the roster while trying to get a good but not great QB is absurd.

I think we don't know if we are rebuilding or not, and that's bad.

Tned
01-31-2018, 09:03 PM

That would be a lot of defensive spots to fill if true. At safety, I think they are covered, but losing both ILBs is balsey.

wayninja
01-31-2018, 09:09 PM

Couple this with the attempt to trade talib for smith, and... I dunno.

Not a happy feeling.

Ziggy
02-01-2018, 12:11 AM
Todd Davis has been the weak link on this defense for a while. Watching him try to pick the right hole to fill is painful.

MOtorboat
02-01-2018, 12:14 AM
Todd Davis has been the weak link on this defense for a while. Watching him try to pick the right hole to fill is painful.

Anyone who covered a tight end last year is subject to heavy review.

:coffee:

dogfish
02-01-2018, 12:32 AM

i'm totally fine with letting davis go. . . it is another hole that's gonna need filled, though, and it's not like we have a quality young option ready to plug in. . . nelson is coming off injury, and is some type of free agent-- and zaire anderson is fine on special teams, but i wouldn't be excited to see him starting. . . i certainly expect us to sign some vet QB, even if we don't get cousins. . . that only leaves so much cap space for capable free agents-- and it's not like we have a great recent history of finding lots of starters in our drafts. . . i think the broncos are going to have a LOT of work to do this off-season. . . it's not like we don't still have pieces, but this roster has been left aging and bereft of quality depth at quite a few positions by the failure of too many draft selections. . . we badly need to do better this year-- we'll have the picks to do it, gotta make 'em count this time. . . it would also help a ton if we could get any production from any of last year's guys not named bolles. . .

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-01-2018, 12:48 AM

This^^^

chazoe60
02-01-2018, 12:54 AM
getting rid of Stewart would be a big mistake but I'm fine with the other two leaving.

dogfish
02-01-2018, 01:16 AM
This^^^

plus, jaded would be so stoked!

underrated29
02-01-2018, 01:17 AM
We just extended stewie too. I can’t see us moving on from him. Marshall is awesome when he is covering the te. He needs to go back to his spot he was playing when we had trevathan.

I don’t care if we don’t bring back Todd Davis.

Doesn’t make sense tho as elway said he does not want to take away a strength of the team. Cutting/trading 4 starters from the defense would def be taking away from a strength, especially when we don’t have anyone waiting in the wings.

I don’t think the rumor is sound. I do however see us trading or tagging shaq for a 2nd rd pick. Barrett is good and not going to be here is my guess.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-01-2018, 01:38 AM
plus, jaded would be so stoked!

Jaded wouldn’t be the only one. I hope he plays within the decision next year

VonDoom
02-01-2018, 07:39 AM
Just burn the roster down then. The notion that we would purge a chunk of the roster while trying to get a good but not great QB is absurd.

I think we don't know if we are rebuilding or not, and that's bad.

Hard to say if these rumors are true, but if so, I agree with this. I've been saying this for a while too - if getting Cousins costs us a bunch of good players, why bother? If we're just stripping away everything and rebuilding, it makes more sense to draft and develop a QB, not pay top of the market value for one.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-01-2018, 08:25 AM
Hard to say if these rumors are true, but if so, I agree with this. I've been saying this for a while too - if getting Cousins costs us a bunch of good players, why bother? If we're just stripping away everything and rebuilding, it makes more sense to draft and develop a QB, not pay top of the market value for one.

Cousins should be a good quarterback for close to another decade. It doesn’t take more than two years to rebuild

Tned
02-01-2018, 01:54 PM
Anyone who covered a tight end last year is subject to heavy review.

:coffee:

In that case, all of our ILBs are safe, since I don't think I saw any of them manage to cover a TE last year.

dogfish
02-01-2018, 02:03 PM
It doesn’t take more than two years to rebuild

it does if you can't hit on more than one usable player per draft class. . .

Cugel
02-01-2018, 02:04 PM

It doesn't look like Denver is just dumping salary though.

Talib was going to be released or traded regardless of Cousins because they have Roby whom they now need to lock up on a long term deal. He's entering the last year of his contract, and they should re-work that contract so he doesn't become a FA next year and they repeat the same stupid mistakes they made with Malik Jackson, Danny Trevathan and Von Miller of waiting until the player becomes a FA and gets much better offers elsewhere, or becomes SB MVP so his negotiating leverage is maximized.

If they don't want to lose Roby or have to pay him something like $15m a year in 2019 because that's what some other team is willing to offer him, they have to do something this off-season to get him locked up long term. And that doesn't leave room for Talib's salary.

As for Todd Davis, they need to upgrade their ILBs since they have none who can cover TEs over the middle. That was a big weakness on the defense last year. Keeping Davis does not help them address that.

On the other hand they could sign Cousins, and have the #5 and #40 picks to try and draft an ILB who can cover. Possibly their #78 pick too. And then there's FA.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-02-2018, 12:54 PM
it does if you can't hit on more than one usable player per draft class. . .

I’m not use to you being so salty. :lol:

dogfish
02-02-2018, 01:08 PM
I’m not use to you being so salty. :lol:

i see red whenever i think of montee ball. . . :laugh:

wayninja
02-02-2018, 01:11 PM
i see red whenever i think of montee ball. . . :laugh:

Why? Can he not break tackles?

underrated29
02-02-2018, 01:56 PM
Why? Can he not break tackles?

He is not The bulldozer, tackle breaking Ronald hillman

GEM
02-02-2018, 03:40 PM

wayninja
02-02-2018, 03:48 PM
Kirk who? Denver's never heard of you.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-02-2018, 06:19 PM

Full article - http://www.9news.com/article/sports/kirk-cousins-would-love-it-if-denver-was-interested/73-513927729

Denver Native (Carol)
02-04-2018, 11:42 AM
Mike Klis
13h13 hours ago

Broncos had asked Texans for permission to interview Wes Welker for WR coach. Texans denied request for what would have been a promotion. Broncos opted for one-year NFL coach Zach Azzanni as WR coach. #9sports

underrated29
02-04-2018, 12:04 PM
I didn’t think they could block a promotion

Denver Native (Carol)
02-04-2018, 12:32 PM
I didn’t think they could block a promotion

That's what I thought also.

Rick
02-04-2018, 12:33 PM
Pretty sure that only applies to HC promotions.

wayninja
02-04-2018, 01:25 PM
Still... pretty dick move by the texans...

MOtorboat
02-04-2018, 01:31 PM
Still... pretty dick move by the texans...

Cincinnati did it to Joseph when Elway wanted to hire him in ‘15 to be DC.

dogfish
02-04-2018, 01:37 PM
that little pansy bob mcnair is still jealous that gary won a super bowl here. . . suck it, texans!

wayninja
02-04-2018, 01:45 PM
Cincinnati did it to Joseph when Elway wanted to hire him in ‘15 to be DC.

Well, in that specific case, they were just trying to save us from ourselves.

Tned
02-05-2018, 01:24 PM
Pretty good piece of Legwold talking about the difficulties the Broncos are going to face in signing a free agent QB and some options they have for clearing up some cap space (without making it worse with dead money). A couple excerpts below, but it's worth reading the full thing.

Given a player like Cousins on the open market is expected to command more than what the league's highest-paid quarterback is making per year -- the deal of the Detroit Lions' Matthew Stafford averages $27 million -- the Broncos will need to create plenty of space to sign a marquee player or two. They also need to cover their draft class and training camp.

There is also the matter with quarterbacks Trevor Siemian and Paxton Lynch playing under their rookie contracts the last two seasons. The Broncos have been able to use the salary-cap space most teams devote to quarterbacks elsewhere. To now sign a quarterback, use a first-round draft pick on one, or both, will take some adjustment. And the list of players whose contracts could create space, either by their release or a re-negotiation, includes familiar names.

Anderson's contract is written in a way that the Broncos would have no "dead money" -- salary-cap charges for players no longer on the roster -- if he is released; his savings would be the full $4.5 million he is scheduled to count against the cap. Also, Talib's deal, with just a $1 million dead-money charge, would create $11 million worth of room if he is released -- and the Broncos believe Roby is ready to be a starter. Sanders' deal would create $5.6 million worth of room in addition to a $5.538 million charge if he is released.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/268585/to-really-upgrade-at-qb-broncos-salary-cap-will-need-attention

Ziggy
02-05-2018, 05:57 PM
that little pansy bob mcnair is still jealous that gary won a super bowl here. . . suck it, texans!

Not to mention- Manning chose Denver over Tennessee.

underrated29
02-05-2018, 06:56 PM
Pretty good piece of Legwold talking about the difficulties the Broncos are going to face in signing a free agent QB and some options they have for clearing up some cap space (without making it worse with dead money). A couple excerpts below, but it's worth reading the full thing.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/268585/to-really-upgrade-at-qb-broncos-salary-cap-will-need-attention

It wont be that hard.

We have about 25 mil right now.

Talib is 10, heman is 10, watson is 7, stephenson is 5, cj is 5.....That is another near 40 mil right there if we wanted. I would keep talib out of all of them and we are still gettin cousing with enough cap to get a RT and WR and TE in FA. Jimmy Graham come on down!

Tned
02-05-2018, 07:35 PM
It wont be that hard.

We have about 25 mil right now.

Talib is 10, heman is 10, watson is 7, stephenson is 5, cj is 5.....That is another near 40 mil right there if we wanted. I would keep talib out of all of them and we are still gettin cousing with enough cap to get a RT and WR and TE in FA. Jimmy Graham come on down!

Not sure who heman is. If you meant Sanders, it's only about a $5 savings. Watson would only be a net of $5. Stephenson is zero, as he has a million dollars guaranteed, so if they cut him, they still owe him a million.

So, that would be $20 million, not $40 million.

dogfish
02-06-2018, 12:37 AM
Not sure who heman is. If you meant Sanders, it's only about a $5 savings. Watson would only be a net of $5. Stephenson is zero, as he has a million dollars guaranteed, so if they cut him, they still owe him a million.

oh, that pesky math!

:laugh:

underrated29
02-06-2018, 01:27 AM
Why leave off cj?

25mil. Not 20 mil. 25 mil + 25 mil = enough for Kirk, a wr and whatever else we want. Pesky math indeed.

Cugel
02-06-2018, 03:13 AM
Fans should know by now that the salary cap is NOT a hard number. It's basically a total B.S. number that teams that don't want to spend money on players trot out to justify their continuing to suck to their fan base. A lie in short.

Because the team can always free up enough salary cap space to acquire whatever players they want. They can just re-negotiate some of the existing contracts and give the player a new contract with a signing bonus. That bonus is "pro-rated" over the life of the new contract, which means the salary cap # isn't a real limit.

The Broncos could extend Talib for instance if they wanted to keep him and reduce his cap #. He would get a signing bonus now, and that bonus would be divided among all the years of the contract lowering his cap #. They don't want to do that because they want to get rid of him rather than extend him.

The only problem is extending players could create dead cap space if they cut that player. But, that just means they have be careful not to extend players who are either too injured or whose play is declining due to age. But, Aqib just made the pro-bowl again, one of only 2 Broncos to do so. His play is not noticeably declining.

So, if they get rid of him it's because they don't want to pay him, not that they can't afford him.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-06-2018, 01:58 PM
Broncos' mock draft roundup: Feb. 5, 2018

After the Senior Bowl, here are the picks seven national analysts forecast for the Broncos with the fifth-overall selection in the 2018 NFL Draft.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Broncos-mock-draft-roundup-Feb-5-2018/b31085df-67cb-4ab6-b52c-742d307e1f50

Freyaka
02-06-2018, 02:25 PM

Touching on the subject of Sanders, If we cut him post June 1 (which we most likely will) it frees up $8M. Cutting Talib and Sanders gets us up to $45 million. (Per over the cap we're at $25 milion right now) So cutting those two, $45M. Cut Watson, now we're at $50M Cutting Trevor would net another $1M

So right there we're at over $50M. Not only that, but we don't have to front load Cousin's contract, we could spread it out anyway we want to make it work. That's before even restructuring anyone. Most of those guys need cut anyway IMO. We could possibly restructure Talib.

The bottom line is, there is a ton of flexability here. We can make this happen if we want to.

Oh and so you don't all just say i'm bad at math, straight from the OTC calculator.

And before someone says "oh if we designate him post June 1, we can't use the money now" Again, we don't have to front load contracts, the money will be there, we can manipulate the cap to make it all work. There is ALWAYS a way to manipulate and massage the cap to get more money.

underrated29
02-06-2018, 02:38 PM
Damn that pesky math

VonDoom
02-06-2018, 06:51 PM
As a rule, I generally dislike post June 1 cuts because you’re just paying money over two years instead of sucking it up in one. Also, I’d rather not cut Sanders at all, FWIW

Tned
02-06-2018, 07:59 PM
Touching on the subject of Sanders, If we cut him post June 1 (which we most likely will) it frees up $8M. Cutting Talib and Sanders gets us up to $45 million. (Per over the cap we're at $25 milion right now) So cutting those two, $45M. Cut Watson, now we're at $50M Cutting Trevor would net another $1M

So right there we're at over $50M. Not only that, but we don't have to front load Cousin's contract, we could spread it out anyway we want to make it work. That's before even restructuring anyone. Most of those guys need cut anyway IMO. We could possibly restructure Talib.

The bottom line is, there is a ton of flexability here. We can make this happen if we want to.

Oh and so you don't all just say i'm bad at math, straight from the OTC calculator.

And before someone says "oh if we designate him post June 1, we can't use the money now" Again, we don't have to front load contracts, the money will be there, we can manipulate the cap to make it all work. There is ALWAYS a way to manipulate and massage the cap to get more money.

They can designate Sanders a june 1 cut (don't have to actually wait until then these days) and spread the cap hit. I believe Elway has been very cautious about avoiding dead money in future years, but yes, there is a few million extra if they move dead money into a future year.

As to back ending the contract, that's not the way contracts work these days. He'll want 80-100 million guaranteed over the first three years. Some of that they can spread with a big signing bonus, but still 3/5ths of that will likely be in the first three years, and he will still have a hefty contract.

Unless everyone has badly misjudged the market, he's expected to be the highest paid player in NFL history, probably by a decent margin.

Not saying it's impossible, but it's also not as easy as some of you guys claim.

Don't forget, we still have to fix the Oline. Have to fill some holes in the front seven. Possibly get a vet WR, as losing Sanders will be a big hole for our remaining WRs to fill.

There is also probably $7 million or more that will have to go to the rookie class.

underrated29
02-07-2018, 12:56 AM
He won’t be the highest paid player in the nfl.
40-50 mil of cap room is enough for a qb, a rt, a wr, a Cb and rookies.

topscribe
02-07-2018, 01:30 AM
Broncos' mock draft roundup: Feb. 5, 2018

After the Senior Bowl, here are the picks seven national analysts forecast for the Broncos with the fifth-overall selection in the 2018 NFL Draft.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Broncos-mock-draft-roundup-Feb-5-2018/b31085df-67cb-4ab6-b52c-742d307e1f50
In the 2015 playoffs, the other team had the superior QB in all three games because of Peyton's
age and broken body. But the Broncos had Von Miller. Look for the Broncos to sign a veteran
(love me some Cousins), then draft another Von Miller type player. You heard it here first (but
you may wish you didn't).

dogfish
02-07-2018, 02:03 AM

sure, we'll very likely sign half-a-dozen free agents. . . kirk's going to be the only big name one, though. . . the rest are going to be bargain basement guys, the donald stephensons of the world. . . i'll expound further once i finish some work shit. . .

okay. . . so, let's say they do free up about 50 million in cap space-- and let's assume that they have to move talib, sanders, CJ and watson to do it (i don't see them designating sanders as post-june). . . let's further assume that kirk's cap hit for the first year is around 20 million, as teams rarely backload severely anymore. . . that leaves 23 million or less, after you take out the rookie money. . . now, before we go on any shopping spree, we also need to account for all these guys. . .

unrestricted free agents:

Brock Osweiler, QB, 27
Virgil Green, TE, 29
Jamaal Charles, RB, 31
Cody Latimer, WR, 25
Todd Davis, ILB, 25
Corey Nelson, ILB, 25
Allen Barbre, OL, 33
Donald Stephenson, LT, 29
Billy Turner, G, 26
Jared Crick, DE, 28
Billy Winn, DE, 28

i think it's fair to say most of these guys won't be back. . . although we're reportedly trying to re-sign latimer. . . however, it does need to be noted that they'll all leave gaps in the roster which will need filled, and we're not replacing all of them dudes with rookies. . .

now, these are more interesting. . .

restricted free agents:

Shaquil Barrett, OLB, 25
Matt Paradis, C, 28
Bennie Fowler, WR, 26

we'll see about benny, but i'm sure they'll want to hold on to barrett and paradis-- no matter what jaded thinks. . . so that's another, what, 5-6 million or more in cap space? maybe we let one or both walk instead, or figure out a trade. . . that saves you the space, but also creates one or two additional, significant roster holes that will need filled. . .

then, there's these guys. . .

exclusive rights free agents:

Jordan Taylor, WR, 25
Zaire Anderson, ILB, 25
Casey Kreiter, LS, 27
Shelby Harris, DE, 26
Kyle Peko, DL, 24
Elijah Wilkinson, OT, 22
Jerrol Garcia-Williams, ILB, 24
Joe Jones, OLB, 23

they are cheap and easy to retain, and i would certainly expect us to keep harris, taylor, kreiter, and probably anderson and peko as well (once again, with apologies to jaded). . . that's what, another 1-2 million? let's say we bring back latimer and paradis, plus the ERFAs. . . just spitballing, that takes maybe 6-7 million off your 23, leaving you with >17 million in remaining cap space. . . and a rhino shit ton of holes on the roster that need filled. . . you gonna count on 7 or 8 rookies to play and contribute right away? you can't. . . we'll almost certainly be hoping for our first few picks to contribute at a high level very early, but you have to at least go into camp with options. . . on offense, we need at least two tackles (including one solid starter to protect our huge investment at QB), and a couple depth guys on the interior. . . plus two more TEs, another slot receiver, and two RBs. . .

on defense, we'll need at least one more capable cornerback, another competent edge rushing OLB, and at least two more ILBs-- finding a difference maker there would be huge, but i'm not sure how much of a priority it is. . . and given the uncertainty with wolfe's health and walker's development, we could really use another athletic young 3-tech/5-tech type lineman, as well. . .

you can fill maybe three or four of those needs with rooks, but the rest will need to be plugged with vets, and the money is going to stretch out real thin. . . unless they go all jerry jones, dan snyder style. . . you think joe ellis is going to sign off on that kind of spending splurge, to go all in with vance joseph as the coach? not likely. . . so, it's certainly not wrong to say we can get cousins, and still get a TE, OT, and whoever. . . but i definitely do think it's wrong to think we're also going to get star names at those other positions. . . jimmy graham? nate solder? i highly doubt it. . . we'll be looking for the smaller deals-- and hoping we can get lucky with another sanders, or at least darian stewart, rather than the menelik watsons we've been getting lately. . .

Tned
02-07-2018, 07:39 AM

Ok, so two questions.

1. What's Cousins going to get including how much signing bonus and how much guaranteed in first three years?
2. How much is going to cost to sign the "any RT" (kind of the problem we've been having annually), any ILB, replacement WR and the other handful of holes we will have?

Freyaka
02-07-2018, 09:20 AM
They can designate Sanders a june 1 cut (don't have to actually wait until then these days) and spread the cap hit. I believe Elway has been very cautious about avoiding dead money in future years, but yes, there is a few million extra if they move dead money into a future year.

As to back ending the contract, that's not the way contracts work these days. He'll want 80-100 million guaranteed over the first three years. Some of that they can spread with a big signing bonus, but still 3/5ths of that will likely be in the first three years, and he will still have a hefty contract.

Unless everyone has badly misjudged the market, he's expected to be the highest paid player in NFL history, probably by a decent margin.

Not saying it's impossible, but it's also not as easy as some of you guys claim.

Don't forget, we still have to fix the Oline. Have to fill some holes in the front seven. Possibly get a vet WR, as losing Sanders will be a big hole for our remaining WRs to fill.

There is also probably $7 million or more that will have to go to the rookie class.

For the most part, the contracts still do work that way these days. They can give him some of the guaranteed as signing bonus and spread those bonuses over multiple years. Chances are, his first three years will be fully guaranteed. I'm betting $60 mil guaranteed, but the higher guaranteed will likely allow us to give him a lower average per year and still get the deal done.

Freyaka
02-07-2018, 09:22 AM
In the 2015 playoffs, the other team had the superior QB in all three games because of Peyton's
age and broken body. But the Broncos had Von Miller. Look for the Broncos to sign a veteran
(love me some Cousins), then draft another Von Miller type player. You heard it here first (but
you may wish you didn't).

I think you've got it exactly right top. I think we land cousins and then draft BPA at #5. Personally I hope we draft Fitzpatrick because the thought of Harris, Roby and Fitzpatrick in our secondary sounds like an amazing thing.

Tned
02-08-2018, 09:47 AM
For the most part, the contracts still do work that way these days. They can give him some of the guaranteed as signing bonus and spread those bonuses over multiple years. Chances are, his first three years will be fully guaranteed. I'm betting $60 mil guaranteed, but the higher guaranteed will likely allow us to give him a lower average per year and still get the deal done.

I think we are talking past each other. When I say contracts are different these days it has to do with the guaranteed money. Just a few years ago, often the only guaranteed money was the signing bonus, which is prorated over the life of the contract. The player protection was that if they were cut early, then the "prorated" bonus (for cap purposes) of the remaining years would come forward to the year the player was cut. Meaning, you could often only cut the player in the last couple years of a long contract. Now, it's nearly standard for two years salary to be guaranteed and often three for QBs/marquee players, in addition to the big signing bonus.

Let me try it this way. Most people expect Cousins to be the highest paid QB. So, let's assume, he gets a contract just like Stafford's extension. So, you have to look at the extension numbers, which starts in 2018. You can see them here.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/matthew-stafford-6078/

What you see is that over the first three years of his contract, the cap hit is as follow. These cap numbers are both the prorated bonus and base salary (salary averages about $13 million over the first three years):

$26.5 million
$29.5 million
$31.5 million

So, averaging just a little over 29 million a year. After that, the team has an out clause, that would cost them a $10 million cap hit in 2021 if they cut him. If they don't cut him, his cap number for the last two years would be:

$30 million
$23 million

So, since expectations is that Cousins will get a contract in that range, or higher, how could Elway structure a deal like you describe, that still gives Cousins the $65-90 million guaranteed that he's going to expect, and reduce the cap hit as you say. Lay it out and give us an example of how you would structure the contract.

NightTerror218
02-08-2018, 11:22 AM
I think we are talking past each other. When I say contracts are different these days it has to do with the guaranteed money. Just a few years ago, often the only guaranteed money was the signing bonus, which is prorated over the life of the contract. The player protection was that if they were cut early, then the "prorated" bonus (for cap purposes) of the remaining years would come forward to the year the player was cut. Meaning, you could often only cut the player in the last couple years of a long contract. Now, it's nearly standard for two years salary to be guaranteed and often three for QBs/marquee players, in addition to the big signing bonus.

Let me try it this way. Most people expect Cousins to be the highest paid QB. So, let's assume, he gets a contract just like Stafford's extension. So, you have to look at the extension numbers, which starts in 2018. You can see them here.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/matthew-stafford-6078/

What you see is that over the first three years of his contract, the cap hit is as follow. These cap numbers are both the prorated bonus and base salary (salary averages about $13 million over the first three years):

$26.5 million
$29.5 million
$31.5 million

So, averaging just a little over 29 million a year. After that, the team has an out clause, that would cost them a $10 million cap hit in 2021 if they cut him. If they don't cut him, his cap number for the last two years would be:

$30 million
$23 million

So, since expectations is that Cousins will get a contract in that range, or higher, how could Elway structure a deal like you describe, that still gives Cousins the $65-90 million guaranteed that he's going to expect, and reduce the cap hit as you say. Lay it out and give us an example of how you would structure the contract.

5 year contract $150 mill, $95 mill guarenteed
$50m signing bonus over 5 years
3 years fully guaranteed at $15 mill a year
Comes in at $25 mill a year
Can even guarentee part of year 4 and increase total guarentee.

Bump up signing bonus over contract life to say $70 mill and maintain the $10 mill a year salary and come in at $24 mill a year and more guaranteed at $100 million. Verify possible to make a cap friend big contract without hitting the $30mill mark unless other teams throw the moon at him and a bidding war starts.

LawDog
02-08-2018, 11:28 AM
5 year contract $150 mill, $95 mill guarenteed
$50m signing bonus over 5 years
3 years fully guaranteed at $15 mill a year
Comes in at $25 mill a year
Can even guarentee part of year 4 and increase total guarentee.

Bump up signing bonus over contract life to say $70 mill and maintain the $10 mill a year salary and come in at $24 mill a year and more guaranteed at $100 million. Verify possible to make a cap friend big contract without hitting the $30mill mark unless other teams throw the moon at him and a bidding war starts.

Signing bonus gets spread over the term of the contract for cap purposes but gets paid upfront. Denver isn't writing Cousins a $50mil check. Try again.

NightTerror218
02-08-2018, 11:31 AM
Signing bonus gets spread over the term of the contract for cap purposes but gets paid upfront. Denver isn't writing Cousins a $50mil check. Try again.

I have seen other teams do it with QBs. It all depends on how much cash they have to do that.

LawDog
02-08-2018, 12:13 PM
I have seen other teams do it with QBs. It all depends on how much cash they have to do that.

That’s my point. Denver is careful managing their cashflow. Writing a $50mil check isn’t part of that strategy. What other teams have done / may do is not relevant.

Tned
02-08-2018, 12:27 PM
That’s my point. Denver is careful managing their cashflow. Writing a $50mil check isn’t part of that strategy. What other teams have done / may do is not relevant.

Agreed. They can spread it a bit by paying some of it the start of say the start of the second league year, which would still be guaranteed and spread for cap purposes, but also spreads out the cashflow. So, say $30 million signing bonus, and $20 million 2019 roster bonus that's fully guaranteed. Something like that.

LawDog
02-08-2018, 01:20 PM
Agreed. They can spread it a bit by paying some of it the start of say the start of the second league year, which would still be guaranteed and spread for cap purposes, but also spreads out the cashflow. So, say $30 million signing bonus, and $20 million 2019 roster bonus that's fully guaranteed. Something like that.

I don’t think the roster bonus can be spread over the remaing contract years like a signing bonus can. While it helps with the upfront cashflow issue it makes the second year cap hit huge ($40 - $50mil).

VonDoom
02-08-2018, 01:31 PM
https://twitter.com/mikegarafolo/status/961668166211522561

Here’s a look at what it will take to sign Cousins - curious to see all the details

wayninja
02-08-2018, 01:39 PM
Wow.

MOtorboat
02-08-2018, 01:40 PM
https://twitter.com/mikegarafolo/status/961668166211522561

Here’s a look at what it will take to sign Cousins - curious to see all the details

Cousins is the real winner here.

VonDoom
02-08-2018, 01:47 PM
Cousins is the real winner here.

Correct. You’re looking at 27.5 million AAV as a starting point now

VonDoom
02-08-2018, 01:48 PM
Osweiler had seven career starts and scored 18 million a year. Garapollo has seven career starts and scores 27.5 million

MOtorboat
02-08-2018, 02:00 PM
Correct. You’re looking at 27.5 million AAV as a starting point now

I would say that's the low ball offer now. Cousins' team will be asking for $35 with >$80 guaranteed and he'll get ~$30 with $70 guaranteed.

underrated29
02-08-2018, 02:12 PM
I would say that's the low ball offer now. Cousins' team will be asking for $35 with >$80 guaranteed and he'll get ~$30 with $70 guaranteed.

Im not sure he will. He may, if so, good for he and the jets.

Tned
02-08-2018, 02:13 PM

Which is right where Frank Schwab said near the start of last year, when he said $30-32 million and can't remember on guaranteed, but I think in the 100 range.

Think about it, all these others have been extensions, trade and sign, etc. Cousins is going to a free agent with multiple teams bidding on him.

Arguably, one of the best things for the Broncos would be if Cleveland signed him and given Broncos more QB options at 5.

Freyaka
02-08-2018, 02:14 PM
I think we should probably wave goodbye to our hopes of Kirk. I still think it's possible we lowball with high guarantee, but he's going to command a huge amount of cheddar now.

Tned
02-08-2018, 02:16 PM
I don’t think the roster bonus can be spread over the remaing contract years like a signing bonus can. While it helps with the upfront cashflow issue it makes the second year cap hit huge ($40 - $50mil).

Then it would be an option bonus, paid at the start of the second year. I couldn't remember, one is spread and one isn't. If roster bonus isn't spread, then it's option bonus that is.

So, they would pay the option bonus of $20 million at the start of the 2019 league year, and it would be spread over the remaining four years of the contract

Tned
02-08-2018, 02:17 PM
I think we should probably wave goodbye to our hopes of Kirk. I still think it's possible we lowball with high guarantee, but he's going to command a huge amount of cheddar now.

The problem is he's going to get a high ball with high guarantees.

MOtorboat
02-08-2018, 02:22 PM
Which is right where Frank Schwab said near the start of last year, when he said $30-32 million and can't remember on guaranteed, but I think in the 100 range.

Think about it, all these others have been extensions, trade and sign, etc. Cousins is going to a free agent with multiple teams bidding on him.

Arguably, one of the best things for the Broncos would be if Cleveland signed him and given Broncos more QB options at 5.

The guarantee will be north of $60.5, because that's what Stafford got.

MOtorboat
02-08-2018, 02:23 PM

Vance Joseph and Baker Mayfield. Get excited, y'all!

MOtorboat
02-08-2018, 02:26 PM

You can amend this to north of $73...so ~$30 and ~$80 is what Cousins is probably looking at now.

Tned
02-08-2018, 02:26 PM

Stafford was $90 million guaranteed. The $60 million was his signing bonus. Technically, I think he got $50 million signing, and then $10.5 million was roster bonuses the first year the extension kicked in or something like that, but effectively it was a $60 million signing bonus.

MOtorboat
02-08-2018, 02:28 PM
Stafford was $90 million guaranteed. The $60 million was his signing bonus. Technically, I think he got $50 million signing, and then $10.5 million was roster bonuses the first year the extension kicked in or something like that, but effectively it was a $60 million signing bonus.

Ah, well then Cousins may be even more expensive than my first two posts.

VonDoom
02-08-2018, 02:31 PM
https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/961678645176696833

https://twitter.com/maiocconbcs/status/961672855359336448

Tned
02-08-2018, 02:32 PM

I think they play with wording. They have guaranteed on signing, before the extension kicks in, which was the $60 you speak of. But, then the reason they say $90 guaranteed, which Rotoworld and Spotrac refer to, might be "effectively guaranteed" meaning the dead money is so high, it would be more expensive to keep then cut. Or, that the extra $30 million in guarantees don't kick in until the first year of the extended contract, since he was playing on his old contract when he signed the extension.

Either way, they all seem to agree that total guaranteed was $92.

Krugan
02-08-2018, 02:34 PM
These numbers are stupid....

Tned
02-08-2018, 02:40 PM
Also worth noting that what I had previously read was that Grappalo was expected to be franchised and then the teams negotiate. So, a QB with only a handful of starts, what wasn't even a true free agent, just got the largest contract in NFL history.

LawDog
02-08-2018, 03:46 PM
Also worth noting that what I had previously read was that Grappalo was expected to be franchised and then the teams negotiate. So, a QB with only a handful of starts, what wasn't even a true free agent, just got the largest contract in NFL history.

This will bite John Lynch in the butt. Just a matter of when.

VonDoom
02-08-2018, 03:48 PM
https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/961701254568333312

Freyaka
02-08-2018, 03:50 PM
You can amend this to north of $73...so ~$30 and ~$80 is what Cousins is probably looking at now.

Which seems way high and unreasonable if viewing it compared to contracts received 2-3 years ago. This is the nature of the NFL. Someone is always raising the bar. Joe Nameth made $400,000 per year and people thought that was outlandishly high. 10 years from now someone will be pulling down $80Mil per year. That's the nature of the NFL. The salary cap increases every year for just this reason.

Elway's final contract was $28M over 5 years...

Freyaka
02-08-2018, 03:53 PM
This will bite John Lynch in the butt. Just a matter of when.

I highly doubt it will. Jimmy G is the real deal and IMO worth what they paid him. The timing of it just screws us over in trying to land Cousins.

Tned
02-08-2018, 03:59 PM

Unless Elway has photos of him getting a "shower" and can leverage that into a discount...

Random photo attached:

http://www.movies.ch/db_data/movies/chips/scen/ki_l/537-Picture9-9dd.jpg

BroncoJoe
02-08-2018, 04:00 PM
Before Jimmy G:

1-10

After Jimmy G:

5-0

I don't think any player is really worth that kind of money, but he clearly made a HUGE difference with the 49'ers.

BroncoJoe
02-08-2018, 04:05 PM
Before Jimmy G:

1-10

After Jimmy G:

5-0

I don't think any player is really worth that kind of money, but he clearly made a HUGE difference with the 49'ers.

Actually - he had 2 starts with NE, won both. Dude has never lost a game in the NFL. :D

underrated29
02-08-2018, 04:13 PM
i dont see kirk getting that from any team. .....had more to say but busy

Freyaka
02-08-2018, 04:14 PM
Unless Elway has photos of him getting a "shower" and can leverage that into a discount...

Random photo attached:

http://www.movies.ch/db_data/movies/chips/scen/ki_l/537-Picture9-9dd.jpg

Andhot damn what a random photo it is!

slim
02-08-2018, 04:27 PM
I highly doubt it will. Jimmy G is the real deal and IMO worth what they paid him. The timing of it just screws us over in trying to land Cousins.

And even if he is only average, Shanny Jr will make him look like a star.

Still pissed that we hired clown shoes instead of Jr.

Freyaka
02-08-2018, 05:06 PM
And even if he is only average, Shanny Jr will make him look like a star.

Still pissed that we hired clown shoes instead of Jr.

preaching to the crowd brother. I wanted Shanny Jr. so bad. That guy could have made Trevor look as good as some thought he would be... He might have even turned Paxton into a half-way decent QB.

Rick
02-09-2018, 11:22 AM
To be fair, I wanted Shanny JR as well but it isn't like the SF offense was on fire pre Jimmy G.

VonDoom
02-09-2018, 11:48 AM
https://twitter.com/mikeklis/status/962001947606777864

dogfish
02-09-2018, 11:52 AM
https://twitter.com/mikeklis/status/962001947606777864

oh for ****'s sake! he's done a fantastic job here! dude was night and day better than groin pull tuten, and then some. . . why would they let him leave?

#VJThings
#LeadThoseMen
#ClownshoesMotherf@%!er

Buff
02-09-2018, 12:03 PM
oh for ****'s sake! he's done a fantastic job here! dude was night and day better than groin pull tuten, and then some. . . why would they let him leave?

#VJThings
#LeadThoseMen
#ClownshoesMotherf@%!er

For me, it's not that he left that's the problem, it's that he wanted to leave... We are so screwed with this bush league coaching staff.

dogfish
02-09-2018, 12:32 PM
For me, it's not that he left that's the problem, it's that he wanted to leave... We are so screwed with this bush league coaching staff.

it makes me really question whether we want to spend 28+ million per year on a quarterback for these cheap hacks. . .

Valar Morghulis
02-09-2018, 12:49 PM

I hated how we scaped goated Tyke Tolbert and Eric Studesville as a way to look like changes were being made.

Freyaka
02-09-2018, 12:51 PM
I hated how we scaped goated Tyke Tolbert and Eric Studesville as a way to look like changes were being made.

What has studes actually done in the past decade? I mean really?

Rick
02-09-2018, 01:06 PM
Always felt that Studes was a great guy but mega overrated.

How many backs on our roster have ripped out 1,000 yard seasons under him again?

Freyaka
02-09-2018, 01:10 PM
Always felt that Studes was a great guy but mega overrated.

How many backs on our roster have ripped out 1,000 yard seasons under him again?

I love the guy's personality, but I think CJ last year and maybe Knowshon one year are the only two 1,000 yard backs in like a decade practically. That's a terrible track record.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-09-2018, 02:07 PM
From the article - looks like Richardson got a promotion -

With the Texans, Richesson will not only run their strength and conditioning program but he will also oversee player nutrition and be involved in physical rehab.

http://www.9news.com/article/sports/luke-richesson-i-loved-being-a-bronco-but-couldnt-pass-up-texans-opportunity/73-516582087

slim
02-09-2018, 02:08 PM
Buckle up, boys.

Things are going to get worse before they get better.

Valar Morghulis
02-09-2018, 02:18 PM
You guys are probably right about studes, and maybe even Tyke

I just wish it was VJ they got rid off

VonDoom
02-09-2018, 02:34 PM
More Garoppolo details:

https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/962043593711017984

VonDoom
02-09-2018, 02:48 PM
Interesting on the Jimmy G contract, a lot of the bonus money was paid as a roster bonus not a signing bonus. Meaning for cap purposes, that pays out in one year, not prorated. Good move for a team with a lot of cap space and makes subsequent years more affordable

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-09-2018, 04:56 PM
Interesting on the Jimmy G contract, a lot of the bonus money was paid as a roster bonus not a signing bonus. Meaning for cap purposes, that pays out in one year, not prorated. Good move for a team with a lot of cap space and makes subsequent years more affordable

I also wonder if his contract is partly based on upside? He’s younger than Cousins and has flashed more than Cousins has, while Cousins is a known commodity.

I’m not so sure Cousins deal is going to be much bigger

wayninja
02-09-2018, 05:15 PM
I also wonder if his contract is partly based on upside? He’s younger than Cousins and has flashed more than Cousins has, while Cousins is a known commodity.

I’m not so sure Cousins deal is going to be much bigger

Just depends on the demand. If at least 2 teams really want him, it'll be bigger. I'm thinking the jets are willing (and able) to pay.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-14-2018, 07:06 PM
After losing former strength and condition coach Luke Richesson to the Texans, the Broncos appear to have found a replacement.

They didn’t have to look far to find him.

Denver-area trainer Loren Landow “impressed” during his interview with the team, according to the Denver Post’s Nicki Jhabvala. Once Landow finishes helping train 2018 NFL draft clients, he is expected to join Denver as the team’s new strength and condition coach, according to Jhabvala.

Landow already works with numerous Broncos players during the offseason at his facility, Landow Performance, which is located in Centennial, Colorado.

rest - https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/14/denver-broncos-loren-landow-strength-coach/

VonDoom
02-14-2018, 07:11 PM
https://twitter.com/viclombardi/status/963915884548026368

Denver Native (Carol)
02-14-2018, 10:53 PM
KUSA—Turns out, the neck pain Broncos defensive end Derek Wolfe was trying to play through the past two seasons was so severe, he quietly underwent end-of-season surgery.

Don’t be alarmed. The surgery took. The Foraminotomy procedure completely alleviated the nerve pain that had forced Wolfe to miss two games in 2016 and the final five games in 2017.

“I can turn my head like an owl,’’ Wolfe said Wednesday in an interview with 9NEWS. “It’s crazy. I can look all the way behind me. It’s insane.’’

AND

While working off-campus with local performance coach Loren Landow – who will soon become the Broncos’ full-time strength and conditioning coach – Wolfe is now throwing up 120-pound dumbbells on the overhead press for sets of 10.

full article - http://www.9news.com/article/sports/derek-wolfe-feels-better-than-ever-after-neck-surgery/73-519041561

Poet
02-14-2018, 10:55 PM
Wolfe is not someone we can rely on and it would be better overall for the team if we just moved on. Cut him loose, trade him, whatever. He's the 3-4 version of Tyler Eifert.

underrated29
02-15-2018, 12:00 AM
Wolfe is not someone we can rely on and it would be better overall for the team if we just moved on. Cut him loose, trade him, whatever. He's the 3-4 version of Tyler Eifert.

You shut your whore mouth!

NightTerror218
02-15-2018, 12:01 AM

No way. That is all.

Poet
02-15-2018, 12:06 AM
No way. That is all.

I detest paying chunks of cash to talented guys who rarely play. He's a mirage, NT.

Davii
02-15-2018, 12:08 AM

This, surprisingly, might be the most I've ever disagreed with a take of yours.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-15-2018, 12:59 AM
Wolfe would rip his arm off and beat someone with it. Wolfe stays.

MOtorboat
02-15-2018, 01:01 AM
Wolfe would rip his arm off and beat someone with it. Wolfe stays.

And then injure his neck. Again.

Poet
02-15-2018, 01:04 AM
Reasonable people can disagree. To be fair to your point, Al, NT, and Davii, he still plays under a team friendly deal. It's not a small contract, but it's not massive.

dogfish
02-15-2018, 01:46 AM
in the last four years, he has missed seven games due to injury. . . he's hardly eiffert. . .

Poet
02-15-2018, 03:17 AM
in the last four years, he has missed seven games due to injury. . . he's hardly eiffert. . .

He's always hurt and nursing something. Whether he's active on gameday and just limited, or missing games, his health has been an issue. And he's been piling on issues as of late, too. Mo was referencing when Wolfe got mad a reporter for using the language of 'again'. Why? Because Mo's charming. That's why.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-15-2018, 11:05 AM
And then injure his neck. Again.

That does concern me, and if I was a relative I would ask him to retire, but that’s not what I was addressing specifically

Freyaka
02-15-2018, 11:16 AM
That does concern me, and if I was a relative I would ask him to retire, but that’s not what I was addressing specifically

I remember that being a question mark for Peyton too (different injury I know, just all dealing with the neck). The fact that it has been now surgically repaired and he's regained all movement is a good sign. This is I believe his first surgery. Previously he had been just limping it along and letting it heal naturally.

slim
02-15-2018, 11:34 AM
He's always hurt and nursing something. Whether he's active on gameday and just limited, or missing games, his health has been an issue. And he's been piling on issues as of late, too. Mo was referencing when Wolfe got mad a reporter for using the language of 'again'. Why? Because Mo's charming. That's why.

He is a broken man, but we do not give up on broken men....do we King?