PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Hire Special Teams Coordinator Tom McMahon

Ziggy
01-09-2018, 08:44 PM
The Colts special teams are solid. We got their guy. Good hire.

Shazam!
01-09-2018, 08:49 PM
Good record with kickers.

Ziggy
01-09-2018, 08:55 PM
Colts were:

4th in opponents kickoff return average.
5th in opponents punt return average.

Pat McAfee

Verified account

@PatMcAfeeShow
2h
2 hours ago

More
Congrats to the @Broncos on signing Tom McMahon as their new Special Teams coordinator.. Guy is an absolutely incredible coach. Genuinely loved going to practice w/ him holding the whistle. Made me fall in love w/ the process again. Denver will love him.

Ziggy
01-09-2018, 09:00 PM
Last offseason, the Broncos brought in a high-energy, rookie up-and-comer to coach their special teams. The result: One of the worst units in the league.
This time around, John Elway and Vance Joseph took a different route.
On Tuesday, the Broncos hired veteran coach Tom McMahon to be their special teams coordinator. McMahon has led special teams units in the NFL for the past nine seasons and was the Colts’ coordinator for the past five. He had previous stints as a coordinator with the Rams and the Chiefs.
McMahon has a solid track record. During his five seasons in Indianapolis, kicker Adam Vinatieri and punter Pat McAfee combined for three Pro Bowl appearances and two fist-team All-Pro selections. In four of the past five years, the Colts have ranked in the top half of the league in kick return average but their punt returns lacked explosiveness.
McAfee broke news of the signing on Twitter and praised the Broncos for their decision.
“Guy is an absolutely incredible coach,” McAfee wrote. “Genuinely loved going to practice with him holding the whistle. Made me fall in love with the process again. Denver will love him.”
Denver's special teams were miserable in 2017 and McMahon will have his hands full trying to turn them around. The Broncos were 26th in field goal percentage, 27th in net punting average, and rookie punt returner Isaiah McKenzie lost two fumbles on muffed punts and recovered another in his own end zone for a safety. Their eight punt return fumbles were the most in the league. Denver was one of five teams to have multiple field goals blocked. Six of their kickoffs were considered "onside" (tied for the most in the league) and they didn't manage to recover a single one.

https://www.bsndenver.com/broncos-bring-in-veteran-to-rebuild-special-teams/

dogfish
01-09-2018, 10:32 PM
has he cut mckenzie yet?

Rick
01-09-2018, 11:02 PM
I heard he cut VJ.

Magnificent Seven
01-09-2018, 11:39 PM
has he cut mckenzie yet?

Maybe, Tom McMahon can coach him up better?

G_Money
01-10-2018, 09:43 AM
Hard to coach up hand and arm size. Ask Trindon Holliday.

Rick
01-10-2018, 09:46 AM
The hand and arm size never bothered him in college.

He wasn't fumbling after contact, he couldn't field the ball.

slim
01-10-2018, 09:47 AM
You can't fix stupid.

G_Money
01-10-2018, 10:02 AM
He fumbled a lot in college. We had this conversation after he was drafted about how fumbles aren't tracked on national college stat aggregation sites but if you look up Isaiah McKenzie fumble for his his college career you can find several crucial examples.

Rick
01-10-2018, 11:33 AM
He fumbled a lot in college. We had this conversation after he was drafted about how fumbles aren't tracked on national college stat aggregation sites but if you look up Isaiah McKenzie fumble for his his college career you can find several crucial examples.

Wasn't aware of that, thanks.

,akes you wonder if a guy on the internet could trace it why couldn't scouts...and maybe make that a red flag...

Denver Native (Carol)
01-10-2018, 11:47 AM
Mike Klis
‏Verified account @MikeKlis
2m2 minutes ago

Broncos hiring former Indy defensive backs coach Greg Williams http://www.9news.com/mobile/article/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/broncos-hiring-cornerbacks-coach-greg-williams/73-506830545 … via @9NEWS #9sports

Mike Klis
8m8 minutes ago

Coaching source: Broncos have reached agreement to make Greg Williams their DB coach specializing in cornerbacks. Williams spent past two seasons as Indy Colts' DB coach. He'll coach alongside Marcus Robertson with Broncos' DBs. #9sports

dogfish
01-10-2018, 12:38 PM
Mike Klis
2m2 minutes ago

Broncos hiring former Indy defensive backs coach Greg Williams http://www.9news.com/mobile/article/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/broncos-hiring-cornerbacks-coach-greg-williams/73-506830545 … via @9NEWS #9sports

Mike Klis
8m8 minutes ago

Coaching source: Broncos have reached agreement to make Greg Williams their DB coach specializing in cornerbacks. Williams spent past two seasons as Indy Colts' DB coach. He'll coach alongside Marcus Robertson with Broncos' DBs. #9sports

if anyone else is wondering, no, it's not the same guy as gregg williams, the saints bountygate coach. . .

Rick
01-10-2018, 01:12 PM
if anyone else is wondering, no, it's not the same guy as gregg williams, the saints bountygate coach. . .

I had checked right after she posted lol

dogfish
01-10-2018, 01:42 PM
I had checked right after she posted lol

i know it was my first thought. . .

Poet
01-10-2018, 01:56 PM
This hire gets two thumbs up.

Cugel
01-10-2018, 02:16 PM
I heard he cut VJ.

:laugh: Well, not yet! He's a special teams coach pure and simple.

Best thing about him? Pat McAfee said on the radio this AM that when he was with the Colts, they had a punt returner who couldn't handle punt returns in the NFL. The punts were too high and the defenders coming at him too fast. He fumbled twice in the first game and was instantly replaced and never saw the field again.

They don't have to cut McKenzie, they can use him any way they want. Just don't let him return kicks.

GEM
01-10-2018, 02:19 PM
Colts former punter Pat Mcafee was on the fan this morning, absolutely raving about the guy. Like absolutely raving about him. I think I'm going to look up his podcast, he was friggen hilarious!

Hawgdriver
01-10-2018, 03:28 PM
Colts former punter Pat Mcafee was on the fan this morning, absolutely raving about the guy. Like absolutely raving about him. I think I'm going to look up his podcast, he was friggen hilarious!

McAfee is so funny. Look up mcafee on youtube, there are two great clips. One about Polumalu, another about tackling Trindon Holiday.

G_Money
01-10-2018, 03:56 PM
The McAfee quote from Nicki Jhabvala's twitter:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTNLWauVoAAX6YI.jpg