PDA

View Full Version : In second playoff-less season, Broncos talk of generation gap and “entitlement”

Denver Native (Carol)
01-05-2018, 11:38 AM
“There’s like this entitlement problem around the entire league,” Derek Wolfe said in recent radio interview.

Tight end Virgil Green stood at his locker days after another Broncos loss and leaned his head back with a feeling of, ‘No, please no’ as a reporter approached him. Begrudgingly, Green agreed to talk, but he knew what was coming — the, ‘What has gone wrong?’ questions, the peppering of inquiries about the offense, the search for answers about the quarterbacks.

He had been through it time and time again because Green had seen what many hadn’t in that locker room as a seven-year veteran. He’s experienced the highs, the bitter lows, the constant turnover and the often callous business off the field.

And so he was asked for honesty about the team’s future.

rest - interesting comments from Chris Harris and Derek
https://www.denverpost.com/2018/01/04/broncos-assumptions-entitlement-veterans-rookies/

Northman
01-05-2018, 11:43 AM
It became evident after a scuffle broke out during a November practice between veteran cornerback Chris Harris (http://www.denverpost.com/tag/chris-harris-jr/) and rookie receiver Isaiah McKenzie.Harris, an undrafted player who became an all-pro, was terse after the incident, saying only that, “I just come to play football, and just respect that. Always respect the vets.”
Weeks later, Harris said he didn’t believe the current crop of younger players feel the same urgency as he does, and did.

“These young guys, they’re not as hungry as I was. I hope to see that,” he said. “I mean, that’s what we need. We need some guys that are hungry like I was. I was just very determined, on a whole other level, just to play in this league.”

Not surprising. I agree with both of them and i think to some extent that is how Paxton has behaved with the entitlement thing. But then i wonder why VJ isnt setting a better example of that when he kept putting McKenzie out there. That had to send the wrong message to the vets on this team i would think.

turftoad
01-05-2018, 12:19 PM
The younger generation and the entitlement goes on way past the NFL.

Buff
01-05-2018, 12:27 PM
This is a really tiny and petty observation, but feels relevant here...

I remember after McKenzie's 4th or 5th or 6th fumble as punt returner (who can really keep track) - VJ sent him back out there to catch the next one, which he miraculously fair caught successfully, and then he proceeds to slap helmets, exchange pleasantries and dap it up with the other team before heading back to the sideline.

I don't know why it annoyed me so much, but my reaction was "You just cost us ANOTHER game, and you are completely unaffected."

But I don't know if it's limited to the young guys... I think some NFL players just don't get it... Jamaal Charles, for instance - complaining about not playing while not acknowledging that his ball control issues have hurt his teams his entire career. Some guys just don't get it.

Ziggy
01-05-2018, 12:52 PM
These young players coming into camp need to be coached up differently. Yeah, there may be a sense of entitlement, but it's up to the coaches on this team to derail that real quickly. It never happened this year. That's on Vance and his staff. It makes me wonder if that's not a big part of what him and Elway were talking about when they said they needed to change the "culture" on this team.

turftoad
01-05-2018, 01:27 PM
These young players coming into camp need to be coached up differently. Yeah, there may be a sense of entitlement, but it's up to the coaches on this team to derail that real quickly. It never happened this year. That's on Vance and his staff. It makes me wonder if that's not a big part of what him and Elway were talking about when they said they needed to change the "culture" on this team.

Whatever happened to the players conceding to the coaches instead of coaches conceding to the players. That is entitlement by the players at its heart.

Do you think a coach like Bilichick bows down to his players? I would think not.

Northman
01-05-2018, 01:52 PM
Do you think a coach like Bilichick bows down to his players? I would think not.

Nah, and Missy and i were just talking about this because apparently one of the issues with Brady and BB is Brady's personal trainer. The guy isnt being paid by the Pats and i guess it was causing some issues with other players in the locker room so BB told Brady the guy is no longer allowed in the facility or on the field on gameday. And Brady and whoever else who wants to use the guy needs to do it outside of the premises and apparently that has irked Brady because he believes he has earned the right to something like that. But BB would be correct in this case because he is still the HC and Brady and the rest of them are still players. HC's need to be the ones in charge.

Tned
01-05-2018, 03:27 PM

I remember after McKenzie's 4th or 5th or 6th fumble as punt returner (who can really keep track) - VJ sent him back out there to catch the next one, which he miraculously fair caught successfully, and then he proceeds to slap helmets, exchange pleasantries and dap it up with the other team before heading back to the sideline.

I don't know why it annoyed me so much, but my reaction was "You just cost us ANOTHER game, and you are completely unaffected."

But I don't know if it's limited to the young guys... I think some NFL players just don't get it... Jamaal Charles, for instance - complaining about not playing while not acknowledging that his ball control issues have hurt his teams his entire career. Some guys just don't get it.

You know how I feel about you lot, but I think it does go beyond just a generational thing. I think it's probably much worse now, but we've always had idiot players celebrating a tackle or first down when the team is down 24 points and the like.

It just seems like it's gone from being the exception to the rule.

broncofaninfla
01-05-2018, 03:40 PM

Agreed. Exactly what makes this story so believable.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-05-2018, 03:57 PM
Not surprising. I agree with both of them and i think to some extent that is how Paxton has behaved with the entitlement thing. But then i wonder why VJ isnt setting a better example of that when he kept putting McKenzie out there. That had to send the wrong message to the vets on this team i would think.

North, can you please stop using the white lettering? It’s almost impossible to read in the mobile version. The first paragraph is literally unreadable

Northman
01-05-2018, 04:23 PM
North, can you please stop using the white lettering? It’s almost impossible to read in the mobile version. The first paragraph is literally unreadable

I cant please everyone. If i use the orange people complain about that, if i use the white people complain about that. Dont know what to tell ya man. Lol

Nomad
01-05-2018, 06:24 PM

I cant please everyone. If i use the orange people complain about that, if i use the white people complain about that. Dont know what to tell ya man. Lol

Whachu guys talkin about? LoL. I see a blue background with white lettering.

Nomad
01-05-2018, 06:31 PM

While I agree with your statement, the ones to blame aren't the generation feeling entitled, it's the generation(s) before them that taught them to be like so.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-05-2018, 06:47 PM

Whatever happened to black? Jeesh

Cugel
01-07-2018, 01:48 AM
Whatever happened to the players conceding to the coaches instead of coaches conceding to the players. That is entitlement by the players at its heart.

Do you think a coach like Belichick bows down to his players? I would think not.

Belichick just did that! :laugh:

The blockbuster ESPN story is that Robert Kraft ordered Belichick to deal Jimmy Garapalo because Brady didn't want his successor on the roster. Belichick wanted to keep Garapolo around to replace Brady whenever his skills start to decline, which he assumes can quickly happen after 40.

Brady resented it and basically force the trade by going to the owner. Now Belichick is very unhappy and everybody is speculating whether he will continue as coach after this year.

I think they will, but there are definitely ego clashes in NE. Belichick and Brady both think they are the straw that stirs the drink.

Ground Control
01-07-2018, 02:24 AM

BB is most likely the one to go. I wouldn't think he's the man to take shit from anybody but Brady but...I do think that BB bows down to Brady. BB wouldn't be on the map without Brady (or another star QB), after all. Anyway, rumor is that he's second to Brady at the head office. Not that it means he's a puss in his dealings with players. Just saying the game is more complicated than that and BB is just a helpless as any other HC with regards to things out of their control, and their secondary status without a star QB to ride to success.

WARHORSE
01-07-2018, 04:17 PM

Rewind it back to the part where the coach sent him back out on the field after his 4th, 5th or 6th fumble...........and you wonder why Wolfe is talking about these punks feeling entitled.....?

Parents probably gave him a participation trophy for everything he did and looks to me like Vance Joseph promotes the same environment.

Next they'll be kneeling on the sidelines during the anthem for playing time.

Take em behind the woodshed and wear out a couple of logs.