PDA

View Full Version : Today 11:00 Press Conference

Denver Native (Carol)
01-02-2018, 12:58 PM
Looks like they are getting ready for it to start.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-02-2018, 01:00 PM
It's starting - Elway talking now

Denver Native (Carol)
01-02-2018, 01:09 PM
Mike Klis
‏Verified account @MikeKlis
4s5 seconds ago

Elway on Gary Kubiak: "We're going to enlarge Gary's role on personnel side. Involved in free agency as well as the draft.'' #9sports

Mike Klis
1m1 minute ago

Joseph: "I wasn't overly concerned (about being here). I got the rumors and got indecision about bringing me back because it wasn't good enough.'' #9sports

Mike Klis
2m2 minutes ago

Joseph: "I wasn't good at coaching our coaches. I'll get better at that.'' #9sports

Mike Klis
3m3 minutes ago

Vance Joseph on firing 6 coaches: "Time to move on to change the culture in certain rooms. ... So we can get back to pushing our players.'' #9sports

Denver Native (Carol)
01-02-2018, 01:15 PM
Nicki Jhabvala
‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala
39s40 seconds ago

Joseph said the way Bill Musgrave managed the offense was how he envisioned the offense from the get-go.

Nicki Jhabvala
2m2 minutes ago

Elway: "Offensive football is finding the best players we can possibly get and putting them in the best situations to be successful." Said they didn't do that this year.

Nicki Jhabvala
3m3 minutes ago

Elway: "I always try to get better. I don't have all the answers. I want to search and find the answers because I want this team to be as good as it can possibly be." Said when he feels like he does it know it all, he'll retire and do what @dmac1043 does.

chazoe60
01-02-2018, 01:28 PM
I love how Joseph tries so hard to advance the idea that he makes any decisions. :laugh::laugh: As if the idea of firing any of those coaches was his.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-02-2018, 01:29 PM
Nicki Jhabvala
2m2 minutes ago

Elway on Lynch's future: "That's one that's going to be high on the topic of discussion."

Joseph on Lynch: "As far as his growth, he needs to just keep playing. But I was really pleased from what I saw from Paxton on Sunday."

Nicki Jhabvala
3m3 minutes ago

Elway: The unfortunate thing with Paxton is we didn't get to see him as much as we wanted this year. ... We got to figure out where he is in the process as far as him developing as the QB."

Nicki Jhabvala
3m3 minutes ago

Elway: "I really don't like taking away from a strength (e.g. defense). ... I like what I know rather than what I might not know."

Nicki Jhabvala
5m5 minutes ago

Joseph said they won't rush the decisions for finding new staffers.

Nicki Jhabvala
5m5 minutes ago

Vance Joseph said Bill Musgrave will be full-time OC.

Nicki Jhabvala
5m5 minutes ago

Joseph: "We have to evolve as coaches also and take these kids' skillsets and make it work."

Nicki Jhabvala
6m6 minutes ago

Elway: "There are not as many ready-made products coming out (of college) on offense as there used to be."

Nicki Jhabvala
7m7 minutes ago

Elway: "The college game has made it much more difficult to evaluate."

Nicki Jhabvala
8m8 minutes ago

John Elway: "What gets you here is your swagger and your confidence as a quarterback. ... Then all of a sudden when things don't go well and you lose that swagger and that confidence, it's very difficult to get it back."

Denver Native (Carol)
01-02-2018, 01:33 PM
I love how Joseph tries so hard to advance the idea that he makes any decisions. :laugh::laugh: As if the idea of firing any of those coaches was his.

It very well might have been his, with him saying the following:

Mike Klis
25m25 minutes ago

Vance Joseph on firing 6 coaches: "Time to move on to change the culture in certain rooms. ... So we can get back to pushing our players.'' #9sports

Denver Native (Carol)
01-02-2018, 01:36 PM
Troy Renck
‏Verified account @TroyRenck
24m24 minutes ago

Elway shows a little bite.. says when he has perfected the job he will go into talk radio because "(@DMac) knows it all." #Denver7

Rick
01-02-2018, 01:39 PM
I loved watching that part.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-02-2018, 01:43 PM
Troy Renck
24m24 minutes ago

Elway shows a little bite.. says when he has perfected the job he will go into talk radio because "(@DMac) knows it all." #Denver7

Nice shot across the bow. I like it :D

Denver Native (Carol)
01-02-2018, 02:09 PM
Troy Renck
1m1 minute ago

#Broncos Joe Ellis "Nobody is more upset about this year than John Elway. I can assure you of that. He's driven to win. I have full confidence he will get us back to our status quickly." #Denver7

Troy Renck
2m2 minutes ago

#Broncos Ellis on not raising ticket prices. "When you see the commitment and passion of fans, it's the least we can do. Saw some comments that we need to lower them. That's not totally out of line. We can't do that. But this wasn't a hard decision." #Denver7

Troy Renck Retweeted
Nicki Jhabvala
8m8 minutes ago

Broncos CEO Joe Ellis: "I feel like there are times that, as a sense, we're looking at a slogan on a wall or 3 SB trophies in the locker room ... and we kind of assumed that that's the way it's going to be. ... I feel responsible that I allowed that."

Troy Renck
6m6 minutes ago

#Broncos Ellis said "We are going to take the signs down in a week or 10 days. The name needs to remain in place for some time.. I suspect by start of season have placeholder name or corporate name." #Denver7

Denver Native (Carol)
01-02-2018, 02:12 PM
Troy Renck
44s45 seconds ago

#Broncos Joe Ellis said in position to do whatever Elway needs financially to improve the team. "Disappoint still lingers. It was a tough year in a lot of areas." #Denver7

Troy Renck Retweeted
Zac Stevens
‏ @ZacStevensBSN
2m2 minutes ago

Joe Ellis: “The expectation haven’t changed. And they shouldn’t. Fans should always expect greatness from this organization”

Denver Native (Carol)
01-02-2018, 02:20 PM
Mike Klis
4m4 minutes ago

Ellis on Pat Bowlen:"Visiting with Pat last week and he's a tough guy. He's dealing with a difficult disease.'' #9sports

Mike Klis
11m11 minutes ago

Besides Sean Kugler, former UTEP head coach and Bills/Steelers offensive line coach, who is interviewing today for Broncos' OL coach, team will also interview current OL assistant Chris Strausser for top OL job. #9sports

Mike Klis
16m16 minutes ago

Ellis: "Going to take exterior signs of Sports Authority Field at Mile High'' down from stadium. Name has to stay officially because preexisting events scheduled at stadium.'' #9sports

Mike Klis
17m17 minutes ago

Joe Ellis said he talked "a lot" with John Elway on Vance Joseph, "especially second half of the season. Glad Vance is coming back. And I supported that decision.'' #9sports

Mike Klis
19m19 minutes ago

Joe Ellis: "Expectations are fine, should always have them. But shouldn't make assumptions. If I let that creep into the organization than I'm the one that has stop it. I talked to John (Elway) about it. I talked to Vance about it.'' #9sports

Davii
01-02-2018, 02:33 PM
I think Ellis has more say in the decision to keep VJ than most think. He had say in the hire, so why wouldn't he have say in the decision to fire or not?

Tned
01-02-2018, 02:37 PM
I think Ellis has more say in the decision to keep VJ than most think. He had say in the hire, so why wouldn't he have say in the decision to fire or not?

Say as in telling Elway to keep him, or say as in agreeing/signing off on Elway's decision to keep him?

Davii
01-02-2018, 02:46 PM
Say as in telling Elway to keep him, or say as in agreeing/signing off on Elway's decision to keep him?

I don't think he told Elway, I think the final decision is John's, but I think he gets to convince/counsel/act as owner in that regard

Hawgdriver
01-02-2018, 02:51 PM
Troy Renck
44s45 seconds ago

#Broncos Joe Ellis said in position to do whatever Elway needs financially to improve the team. "Disappoint still lingers. It was a tough year in a lot of areas." #Denver7

https://mlpforums.com/uploads/post_images/img-1669744-1-fgr-meme-generator-so-much-disappoint-44199a.jpg

NightTerror218
01-02-2018, 02:54 PM
I don't think he told Elway, I think the final decision is John's, but I think he gets to convince/counsel/act as owner in that regard

He can give him an outside perspective of why to retain him. By outside I mean not hands on with the personnel. I think it came down to see the potential in the team VS needed to be scrapped.

Musgrave is great for OC. Woods should improve as DC and game planning. Key will be the new St coordinator and coaches for offensive side.

Studs gone is no surprise he has been here a long time but since Manning injured it has been realized that he made the offense work not the OC. And the coaching for OC has not been great since McDaniels. Manning has reason for record breaking season but fell apart in SB.

Tned
01-02-2018, 03:14 PM

Agreed. At this point, Joe Ellis is the defacto owner. There are two other trustees, but by all accounts Ellis is filling that role.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-02-2018, 03:24 PM
Joe Ellis is in his seventh season as President of the Denver Broncos in 2017 and his fourth year as Chief Executive Officer after adding those responsibilities in 2014.

In his 23rd season with the Broncos, Ellis owns extensive experience and expertise at both the club and league level through his 30 seasons in the NFL. Having worked with Owner Pat Bowlen for nearly three decades, Ellis has been entrusted to operate the team with full authority while serving as the Broncos’ representation for all league matters.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/staff/Joe-Ellis/0cc7962a-d3b5-447e-8641-34b02afe3bf2

Denver Native (Carol)
01-02-2018, 03:25 PM
Mike Klis
8m8 minutes ago

On Broncos radar for QB coach: Ben McAdoo and Ken Zampese. Vance Joseph and McAdoo were previous on SF staff together. Joseph and Zampese were with Bengals. McAdoo and Zampese both looking for OC jobs. Interim QB coach Klint Kubiak will stay on Broncos staff. #9sports

Denver Native (Carol)
01-02-2018, 03:43 PM
Nicki Jhabvala
8m8 minutes ago

As @alexmarvez first reported, Sean Kugler is in the building interviewing for the Broncos' offensive line coaching job.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-02-2018, 03:47 PM
John Elway and Vance Joseph look ahead to 2018 season
President of Football Operations/General Manager John Elway and Head Coach Vance Joseph address the media on the future of the franchise moving forward and what the offseason will bring.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/John-Elway-and-Vance-Joseph-look-ahead-to-2018-season/c96429e2-1404-41a4-b8f6-b871e2e4c6b6

Ellis: Broncos should have expectations, not assumptions
President/CEO Joe Ellis addressed the media Tuesday to give updates on a naming-rights partner for the stadium and explain why the Broncos shouldn't let assumptions get in the way of expectations.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Ellis_Broncos_should_have_expectations_not_assumpt ions/0b07af7f-f844-405c-9f7a-ae08f8cf52ea

tomjonesrocks
01-02-2018, 04:02 PM
Studes should find a home pretty quickly. Never read a bad word about the guy - he had a good run here.

The DMac shot is hilarious. From brief personal experience and everything I can consume from afar - Elway’s just not a warm and fuzzy dude...will have to hit the Drive replay to hear more on it :)

Denver Native (Carol)
01-03-2018, 01:04 PM
Yesterday, Derek Wolfe was on the fan, and said some interesting things.

http://1043thefan.com/164758/derek-wolfe-pres-by-teds-montana-grill-the-drive-1218/

Northman
01-03-2018, 01:09 PM
Does anyone have the cliff notes? I dont have time to listen to it as im busy with radio stuff today.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-03-2018, 01:53 PM
Does anyone have the cliff notes? I dont have time to listen to it as im busy with radio stuff today.

There is this, but he expands on each thing mentioned here

Derek Wolfe joins the show pres. by Ted’s Montana Grill to tell AL & DMac he’s focused on getting healthy & putting the travel plans aside. Wolfe tells the guys he can’t imagine the stress VJ & Elway were under today at their press conference, and gives his thoughts on Shelby Harris & DeMarcus Walker learning from Bill Kollar. DMac asks Wolfe about removing the Super Bowl trophies from the locker room as motivation, and Wolfe says there are a lot of young entitled players throughout the league now. Also, what Wolfe thinks about guys on the O-Line playing out of position.

http://1043thefan.com/164758/derek-wolfe-pres-by-teds-montana-grill-the-drive-1218/

wayninja
01-03-2018, 02:34 PM
Our former head coach was fired? I always liked Studesville. Considering our running game was one of our biggest strengths this year, I'm a bit surprised by that move.

The only surprise about Olivo is why it didn't happen 8 weeks ago.

dogfish
01-03-2018, 03:50 PM
Our former head coach was fired? I always liked Studesville. Considering our running game was one of our biggest strengths this year, I'm a bit surprised by that move.

having a competent coach around probably made VJ feel uncomfortable. . .

Ziggy
01-03-2018, 07:15 PM
Broncos hired Kugler. Nice move. He'll bring some Kollar type of energy to the offense, and Clady highly endorses him. I'm on board.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-03-2018, 08:04 PM
Broncos hired Kugler. Nice move. He'll bring some Kollar type of energy to the offense, and Clady highly endorses him. I'm on board.

Clady and Bolles are very similar physically, and if truth be told, Bolles might be a better athlete.
I’m not ok with throwing the baby our with the bath water. We were told at draft time last year Bolles needed time to develop.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-03-2018, 08:33 PM
Mike Klis
4h4 hours ago

Broncos first known RB coach candidate: The Bears’ Curtis Modkins. #9sports

NightTerror218
01-03-2018, 09:59 PM
Clady and Bolles are very similar physically, and if truth be told, Bolles might be a better athlete.
I’m not ok with throwing the baby our with the bath water. We were told at draft time last year Bolles needed time to develop.

As a raw rookie tackle he did great with the worst guard in NFL next to him.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-03-2018, 10:23 PM
As a raw rookie tackle he did great with the worst guard in NFL next to him.

Agreed.

Did you hear Wolfe’s interview today? They were asking him about the issues on the line, and he mentioned guys playing out of position and then specifically said, “if you’re a left guard you should be playing right guard.”

Hawgdriver
01-03-2018, 11:04 PM
Agreed.

Did you hear Wolfe’s interview today? They were asking him about the issues on the line, and he mentioned guys playing out of position and then specifically said, “if you’re a left guard you should be playing right guard.”

sarcastic? or what...

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-03-2018, 11:17 PM
sarcastic? or what...

No, he was being genuine. He was explaining why he thought the offensive line struggled. He said, “like for example, if you’re a lg playing rg and it’s not your natural position”. It sounded like an indictment against the departed offensive line coach.

Maybe he thought he was being discreet.

He also suggested the guys in the offensive line aren’t a unit because they haven’t played together for a long time; they don’t have a brotherhood like the guys on defense

It was actually a pretty good interview, you should check it out. It was only like 7 minutes or so. Carol posted it.

Joel
01-05-2018, 05:24 AM
Mike Klis
8m8 minutes ago

On Broncos radar for QB coach: Ben McAdoo and Ken Zampese. Vance Joseph and McAdoo were previous on SF staff together. Joseph and Zampese were with Bengals.
So what? McAdoo was only in SF a SINGLE season, as "offensive line coach and offensive quality control coordinator" on an offense that went 4-12 and finished DEAD LAST in passing yds and passing TDs with rookie QB Alex Smith (2-5 as starter; 40.8 Passer Rating.) Maybe it makes a little sense if we expect KC to give Mahomes the reins and intend to pursue Smith when they do, but otherwise it's hard to see what we gain with an OC who benched a two-time SB Champ for Geno Smith.

I didn't know Ernie Zampese had any kids who followed in his footsteps, but the performance of Kens QB suggests he followed far behind his father:

1998 Eagles, as offensive assistant; 3-13 with Koy Detmer as top rated passer (67.7.)

1999 Packers, as offensive assistant; 8-8 with the two-time defending NFC Champs and Brett Favre posting a 74.7 passer rating in his prime.

2000 Rams, as offensive assistant; 10-6 and the defending SB Champs were a one-and-done wildcard.

2001 Rams, as WRs coach; 14-2, but he helped begin the NE* dynasty when the heavily favored Rams lost the SB by a FG.

2002 Rams, as passing game coordinator; 7-9 after Warners 0-6 start gets him replaced by Marc Bulger.

2003-2015 Bengals, as QBs coach, which certainly sounds like a step down from coordinating the whole passing game; 12-4 his best season, but despite finally seeming poised for a deep playoff run, Cincy lost its shot at even a bye when it lost to Oz and our D, then finished one-and-done, just as in ALL of its HALF DOZEN other playoff seasons with Zampese. I don't really want him to do the same thing for our next QB that he did for Andy Dalton, posterchild for Cincys underachievement.

2016-2017 Bengals, as OC; 7-9, then 6-9-1, despite a team fresh off five straight playoff seasons, and Daltons passer rating last year was the third lowest of his career.

How 'bout we start hiring coaches based on WHAT they've done rather than WHOM they know? It's not like any OC candidate "knows Josephs system" (or vice versa) because 1) they're offensive coaches but he's defensive and 2) he's had only TWO seasons as coordinator or HC, so doesn't HAVE a system yet, just lots of ideas to experiment with based on what (if anything) he learned from previous superiors.