PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent Offensive Lineman

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2018, 02:18 PM
IMO, the first priority for fixing the offense is the OL. Here are the free agent offensive lineman. Who should the Broncos go after?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/offensive-line/

Rick
01-01-2018, 02:22 PM
Nate. I am fairly sure he will return the NE but would be great to see him come home to Denver.

Played HS in my small town of Buena Vista and college at CU.

Northman
01-01-2018, 02:23 PM
Solder, Gettis, and Garland would be top choices for me at tackle and guard.

Buff
01-01-2018, 04:01 PM
Richburg could be an interesting reclamation project on the interior... Was a CSU guy who went in the 2nd round, started off playing great for NYG, then got hurt and declined.

Ziggy
01-01-2018, 05:15 PM
I don't think this line is that far off. McGovern looked good when he finally got his chance. I'm guessing Bolles has figured out that he needs to put on some weight to play LT effectively in the NFL, and Leary will be back next season. Put Leary back on the left side and let McGovern compete with a free agent or rookie at RG and this line is a RT away from being good.

Ziggy
01-01-2018, 05:18 PM
I think part of Bolles problem was playing next to one of the worst guards in the NFL. Putting Leary next to him would help accelerate that learning curve. Okung looked 100% better this season playing next to a real guard.

NightTerror218
01-01-2018, 08:39 PM
Soldier turner or Jackson.just need RT and a guard. RT top priority behind QB

topscribe
01-01-2018, 08:42 PM
IMO, the first priority for fixing the offense is the OL. Here are the free agent offensive lineman. Who should the Broncos go after?

The first RT on the list, or at least one that doesn't resemble a turnstile . . .

topscribe
01-01-2018, 08:43 PM
I think part of Bolles problem was playing next to one of the worst guards in the NFL. Putting Leary next to him would help accelerate that learning curve. Okung looked 100% better this season playing next to a real guard.
That and being a rookie . . .

Cugel
01-02-2018, 02:09 AM
They could try and land a FA LT and then move Bolles to RT. A lot of sportswriters think that's a possibility.

Cugel
01-02-2018, 02:12 AM

Nobody could ever understand why it was so important to put Leary on the right side so they could start Max Garcia on the left side, and he can't play the right side. Well, so what? He sucks and should disappear anyway! They weren't even starting him by season's end and Connor McGovern looked a lot better.

So, that was a complete waste of time. They moved Leary to the right side to accommodate Max Garcia, who isn't even good enough to make the roster.

Shazam!
01-02-2018, 10:38 AM

Not getting Whitfield last year hurt the Broncos as he has become an anchor in LA. Cant cheap it on the next one.

I honestly think with a blossoming Bolles With a year under his belt, Leary at his natural position, a diamond in the rough with McGovern and a healthy Paradis, with a little movement they're a T away from being at least OK in some areas... such as an improved run blocking... which would be a considerable improvement from the last two years.

topscribe
01-02-2018, 11:37 AM
Nobody could ever understand why it was so important to put Leary on the right side so they could start Max Garcia on the left side, and he can't play the right side. Well, so what? He sucks and should disappear anyway! They weren't even starting him by season's end and Connor McGovern looked a lot better.

So, that was a complete waste of time. They moved Leary to the right side to accommodate Max Garcia, who isn't even good enough to make the roster.
If I'm reading you right, you're saying Leary is bad? Don't quit your day job, Cug . . .

Cugel
01-02-2018, 11:45 AM
If I'm reading you right, you're saying Leary is bad? Don't quit your day job, Cug . . .

WTF? NO! Leary was a pro-bowl LT. So, obviously the Broncos brain trust moved him to RT, because Max Garcia couldn't play on the right side and they wanted Garcia to start. That was incredibly important for some reason. So, they asked Leary to start on the right side, and he shrugged and did what was best for the team.

But, you took a pro-bowler on one side and turned him into a mediocre player on the other. And Max Garcia sucked his way out of a starting job anyway. So, what was the point?

They should just shit-can Garcia, move Leary back over to the left side, and let McGovern start on the right side. When he was asked about this very thing VJ just gave us idiotic coach speak: "Why wasn't McGovern starting at RG the whole season? Because Leary was the starter at RG and Garcia at left." He refuses to answer the real question: "why the hell did you insist on starting Max Garcia when he sucked when you had a perfectly adequate alternative in McGovern, who took all year to get on the field?"

broncofaninfla
01-02-2018, 11:53 AM
Bolles, Leary, Paradis and McGovern are the only keepers currently on the roster. Not only do they
need a couple of new starters they'll also need upgrades in their OL depth.

Tbolt
01-02-2018, 12:21 PM
Depth has been the problem on the OL for years. I feel like this is one area we improved this season, agree Garcia needs to go and Leary to left guard next to Bolles. McGovern on the right, and then we just need a Right Tackle, since Watson and Stephenson have been the predictable busts they are. Still no depth though, but were a player away from a competent line.

Rick
01-02-2018, 12:37 PM
Garcia doesn't need to go, he just needs to be depth.

He will be fine as a backup guard/center.

Freyaka
01-02-2018, 12:45 PM

Solder would be potentially an ok, though temporary fix. We could then kick Boles over to RT. Justin Pugh wouldn't be a horrible signing. I dunno...not a lot of great options.... Several busts in that list that will probably be paid well, but don't deserve it like Joeckel and Robinson.

Freyaka
01-02-2018, 12:48 PM
Solder, Gettis, and Garland would be top choices for me at tackle and guard.

Wouldn't it be interesting to see Ben Garland take the long way around and end up back on the roster?

Hawgdriver
01-02-2018, 01:24 PM
WTF? NO! Leary was a pro-bowl LT.

Leary is a guard. He's never been to a pro bowl.

dogfish
01-02-2018, 01:51 PM
just do the smart thing and draft mike mcglinchey to play left tackle. . . put bowles on the right side where he has a chance to be decent, plug mcgovern in and draft another OG in the middle rounds, and call it a day. . . we don't need to overpay for whatever crap is available at tackle in free agency, that's not the correct way to do it. . .

CoachChaz
01-02-2018, 02:09 PM
just do the smart thing and draft mike mcglinchey to play left tackle. . . put bowles on the right side where he has a chance to be decent, plug mcgovern in and draft another OG in the middle rounds, and call it a day. . . we don't need to overpay for whatever crap is available at tackle in free agency, that's not the correct way to do it. . .

I'll go one better. Forget McGovern, draft Nelson in 1 and whoever is left of Rankin, Okorafor, Crosby in 2. Quit playing around and fix the OL through the draft.

NightTerror218
01-02-2018, 02:20 PM
I like Bolles at LT. Having crap next to him mentally does not help causing him to over compensate or thinking he needs to. He was good for a rookie in my book. Just need a good RT and we have a decent line with McGovern but tackle depth is so piss poor.

Ground Control
01-07-2018, 08:37 AM
They could try and land a FA LT and then move Bolles to RT. A lot of sportswriters think that's a possibility.

I've heard nothing good about switching sides. It seems to really be a complete and total juxtaposition. Possible but since learning this, I'd rather see Bolles continue his growth with what he knows. A true RT might be best.

topscribe
01-07-2018, 03:53 PM
And McGlinchey will have the same problems at LT that Bolles had this year. LT is an extremely
difficult position to play, and rookies don't ordinarily do well there. Bolles is a future star. He
has the quick feet and athletic agility needed for the position. He needs to gain 10-15 pounds,
and he understands that. But it will be much easier to find a RT than a LT. So let Bolles be
Bolles, and he will be just fine. He just needed some experience and a little more weight.

dogfish
01-07-2018, 04:15 PM
And McGlinchey will have the same problems at LT that Bolles had this year. LT is an extremely
difficult position to play, and rookies don't ordinarily do well there. Bolles is a future star. He
has the quick feet and athletic agility needed for the position. He needs to gain 10-15 pounds,
and he understands that. But it will be much easier to find a RT than a LT. So let Bolles be
Bolles, and he will be just fine. He just needed some experience and a little more weight.

that, and he needs to learn to block without holding on every play. . .

topscribe
01-07-2018, 09:21 PM
True. I think that will come with experience. Holding is part of the game. The OL holds on every
play. They just have to learn how to hold without making it obvious. It'll come to him, I'm sure.

NightTerror218
01-08-2018, 11:19 AM

If the LG could block a fly that would help him

Ziggy
01-08-2018, 12:51 PM

I don't have any problem going Oline at 5, but if we're going to reach on a tackle, give me Zeus.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CzGN40IUUAEsk9s.jpg

topscribe
01-08-2018, 01:58 PM
If the LG could block a fly that would help him
Hopefully, Leary will be over there next season. That would be a godsend for Bolles . . .

Rick
01-08-2018, 03:46 PM
Should have been there THIS year.

Nothing like throwing a rookie LT out there and then throwing a below average linemen next to him and just yelling go figure it out!

topscribe
01-08-2018, 07:42 PM
Should have been there THIS year.

Nothing like throwing a rookie LT out there and then throwing a below average linemen next to him and just yelling go figure it out!
That just grated on me when VJ was saying both Garcia and Barbre were playing well.

They were magnificent if they were practicing to be matadores . . . :mad:

Davii
01-08-2018, 07:54 PM
I don't care that he's a guard, get Nelson

topscribe
01-08-2018, 08:53 PM
I don't care that he's a guard, get Nelson
He wouldn't make it out of the first round, and I doubt Denver would opt for him at #5.

Cugel
01-08-2018, 09:40 PM
He wouldn't make it out of the first round, and I doubt Denver would opt for him at #5.

Top is correct. No way he will make it out of the top 15. But, Denver is going to draft a QB unless they sign Kirk Cousins, maybe even so (although hopefully not with #5 in that case).

But, they can still find a T in FA and draft one in the 2nd or later round.

Cugel
01-08-2018, 09:44 PM

I got endlessly flamed when I pointed this out last year before the season. I can't understand why people think a rookie is just going to jump right in and be a star at T. Normally it doesn't happen, although Ryan Ramcyk played very well for the Saints -- at RT, not LT.

Ziggy
01-08-2018, 10:00 PM
I got endlessly flamed when I pointed this out last year before the season. I can't understand why people think a rookie is just going to jump right in and be a star at T. Normally it doesn't happen, although Ryan Ramcyk played very well for the Saints -- at RT, not LT.

Ramczyk played RT with a former pro bowler playing guard next to him. Bolles had a much harder path playing LT with a matador playing guard next to him. Bolles will be fine. You have to think he knows that he needs to add 10-15 pounds now. It's not in his nature to be OK with being manhandled like he was at times this season.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-08-2018, 10:52 PM
Ramczyk played RT with a former pro bowler playing guard next to him. Bolles had a much harder path playing LT with a matador playing guard next to him. Bolles will be fine. You have to think he knows that he needs to add 10-15 pounds now. It's not in his nature to be OK with being manhandled like he was at times this season.

He seems to be a pretty motivated dude. I would be shocked if he doesn’t come in at least 10 pounds heavier next year.

Traveler
01-09-2018, 05:04 AM
Denver has 4 of 5 starters already in place IMO. Just need a competent RT. As has been stated earlier in this thread the line would be:

Bolles-LT
Leary-LG
Paradis-C
McGovern-RG

That leaves RT. My hope is after selecting a QB at #5, they can somehow draft Orlando Brown or Connor Williams and plug them in at RT.

I would keep Watson as a swing backup, but move him to G. Sign another veteran or two as backups in FA for the C and T spots.

Cut or trade Stephenson and Garcia.

Line would be:

Bolles
Leary
Paradis
McGovern
Williams or Brown

sneakers
01-09-2018, 06:51 AM

Funny how Okung played well in seattle, terrible here, and then better in SD (or where ever he played last year)

Shazam!
01-09-2018, 09:45 AM

Funny how Okung played well in seattle, terrible here, and then better in SD (or where ever he played last year)

This is why I believe a lot of it is technique and playcalling which worked against them as a unit. This falls on the Coordinators and coaching staff.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-09-2018, 09:50 AM

My brother in law is a life long Seattle fan. He said Okung was the most overrated lineman Seattle ever had.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-09-2018, 10:03 AM
My brother in law is a life long Seattle fan. He said Okung was the most overrated lineman Seattle ever had.

Did he say that before or after they released him? ;)

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-09-2018, 10:41 AM
Did he say that before or after they released him? ;)

It was a response to a question I asked him. I asked him if Okung’s play started to drop off before they released him, and is that why they released him, or did it just fall off in Denver.

His response surprised me because he’s not really a sensationalist in the way he communicates. He simply said Okung was the most overrated player he’d ever seen in Seattle and when he was the there didn’t understand why he was hyped up so much and was constantly getting penalized.

It may be Okung was hyped so much because of his draft status, who knows...

Cugel
01-09-2018, 11:53 AM

I don't think Bolles sucks, it's just hearing Mark Schlereth this AM talking about how Cam Robinson, who was drafted in the 2nd round by the Jags is playing a lot better than Garrett Bolles. And he's playing LT too.

Perhaps they simply drafted the wrong guy. Elway has done that a lot in recent years. I'm reserving my opinion until I see if Bolles improves in year two. He was about the most penalized OL in college football, and now he's the most penalized LT in the NFL. That's not a good start.

Cugel
01-09-2018, 11:57 AM
It was a response to a question I asked him. I asked him if Okung’s play started to drop off before they released him, and is that why they released him, or did it just fall off in Denver.

His response surprised me because he’s not really a sensationalist in the way he communicates. He simply said Okung was the most overrated player he’d ever seen in Seattle and when he was the there didn’t understand why he was hyped up so much and was constantly getting penalized.

It may be Okung was hyped so much because of his draft status, who knows...

I've given up defending Okung against all the people who insisted "he sucks!" My point was always "it could be a lot worse." Well, it got a lot worse. The Broncos OL was not better in 2017 than in 2016. And Menelik Watson was not a great addition at RT. Bolles struggled at LT, which is not surprising, but was also the most penalized guy in the NFL, so that wasn't a good sign.

It's easy to say "he'll learn" but if he was the most penalized in college too. . . . .

The Broncos would have been a lot better off keeping Okung and starting Bolles at RT. Then, hopefully, they could move Bolles to left T this year, dump Okung, and draft a RT or find one in FA.

topscribe
01-09-2018, 02:03 PM
This is why I believe a lot of it is technique and playcalling which worked against them as a unit. This falls on the Coordinators and coaching staff.
And maybe the OL coach, who was just fired. In fact, maybe a new, competent OL coach could help Watson and Bolles.

topscribe
01-09-2018, 02:10 PM
I don't think Bolles sucks, it's just hearing Mark Schlereth this AM talking about how Cam Robinson, who was drafted in the 2nd round by the Jags is playing a lot better than Garrett Bolles. And he's playing LT too.

Perhaps they simply drafted the wrong guy. Elway has done that a lot in recent years. I'm reserving my opinion until I see if Bolles improves in year two. He was about the most penalized OL in college football, and now he's the most penalized LT in the NFL. That's not a good start.
Not necessarily. I've noticed Schlereth seems sometimes to have a tendency toward shallow analyses
and generalizations. I've seen several cases where one player is better than another as a rookie, then
the respective performances level out in succeeding years. I'm with you in a mild concern about Bolles'
holding propensities, but perhaps a good OL coach can help to coach that out of him. As I mentioned
in a previous post, a good tackle knows how to hold. Bolles can learn that. He also needs to gain a
few pounds, which players typically do between their first and second years.

dogfish
01-09-2018, 02:13 PM
I don't have any problem going Oline at 5, but if we're going to reach on a tackle, give me Zeus.

i'm down with brown-- works for me. . . ideally, i'd love to see us move back a few picks and still be able to land one of mcglinchey, brown or nelson. . . they need to stop wasting time and lots of money on shit free agents, and fix the thing properly. . .

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-09-2018, 05:16 PM
It was discussed at great length during the draft process that Bolles would take time to develop and was “very raw”, but far and away had the most upside. We shouldn’t be shocked he looked raw his rookie year.

I’m confident he’ll improve.

Hawgdriver
01-09-2018, 05:32 PM
i'm down with brown-- works for me. . . ideally, i'd love to see us move back a few picks and still be able to land one of mcglinchey, brown or nelson. . . they need to stop wasting time and lots of money on shit free agents, and fix the thing properly. . .

Or they can patch it in FA and get great talent at another spot. Hell, I'm fine with the S out of 'Bama even though we have Stewart and Simmons right now.

BPA.