PDA

View Full Version : No Surviving: Vance Joseph Retained

Pages : [1] 2

UnderArmour
01-01-2018, 12:30 PM
Deserves its own thread. This franchise is doomed to failure for one more season at least. Terrible day for the fan base. The only positive here is the Broncos will have their pick of coaching candidates next year and be one of the most desirable jobs in football.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/947879039112564737

BroncoJoe
01-01-2018, 12:34 PM

Denver Native (Carol)
Troy Renck Retweeted
John Elway
‏Verified account @johnelway
8m8 minutes ago

To all our fans: THANK YOU for your tremendous support and sticking with us through a tough year. This wasn't the season anyone expected, but we'll learn from it and be better because of it. Our 2018 season starts today.

Troy Renck Retweeted
John Elway
‏Verified account @johnelway
11m11 minutes ago

Vance and I had a great talk this morning about our plan to attack this offseason and get better as a team. We believe in Vance as our head coach. Together, we'll put in the work to improve in all areas and win in 2018.

BroncoJoe
I'm at peace with it.

BroncoWave
01-01-2018, 12:36 PM
Well, it's nice not to have to worry about having any sort of expectations next year I guess. It was kinda freeing not to be so locked into football this year.

Broncoknight30
01-01-2018, 12:40 PM
Joseph to return as Broncos coach in 2018 http://es.pn/2EtjRkP
via @ESPN App http://es.pn/app

Lol

BroncoJoe
01-01-2018, 12:40 PM
If he turns it around next year, I hope you all will be hungry for some serious crow...

Having Kubiak back in the building every day is probably going to help Joseph. I know that's not what his new title suggests, but I imagine they'll work closely together.

EastCoastBronco
01-01-2018, 12:41 PM
I was hoping we would fire his ass and bag Gruden.
Happy New Year.

BroncoWave
01-01-2018, 12:41 PM
Please check the recent posts before starting threads.

BroncoJoe
01-01-2018, 12:43 PM
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/607447-No-Surviving-Vance-Joseph-Retained

Northman
01-01-2018, 12:44 PM
If he turns it around next year, I hope you all will be hungry for some serious crow...

Thats like saying if he tanks again i hope you are ready to take you head out of your ass. lol

elsid13
01-01-2018, 12:45 PM
I'm at peace with it.

Which stage of grief is that?

BroncoJoe
01-01-2018, 12:47 PM
Thats like saying if he tanks again i hope you are ready to take you head out of your ass. lol

I have been indifferent. I have no idea if he'll become a descent to good coach, but only giving him one year with all the other problems he inherited didn't seem right. Not a fan of firing a HC after one year.

BroncoWave
01-01-2018, 12:48 PM

Definitely denial lol.

I've moved onto acceptance. We're gonna be awful next year and I know to at least expect it now

UnderArmour
01-01-2018, 12:48 PM
I'm at peace with it.

It's hard. I was initially upset with the franchise for not giving Josh McDaniels another year with his guys and his system, because the guy actually knew the game of football. But what I've seen this year is an organization run by someone with almost zero football IQ or leadership, and the halftime sequence exposed that even further. At multiple times during the year, Vance CLEARLY made the wrong choice at quarterback, because the guy he didn't pick came off the bench and made big time plays. He stuck with Siemian too long, he stuck with McKenzie too long, and he showed he has no standards as a coach.

Not going to bench McKenzie? Showing turnovers are acceptable. Not going to bench a QB mid game? Shows ineptness is acceptable. Not going to adjust in the middle of the game? Shows mindlessly following a losing script is more important than winning. I just don't see it. I wish I did, but even if this guy had a roster of All Pros, I still think he would run it into the dirt.

BroncoJoe
01-01-2018, 12:49 PM

No grief. I love the Broncos, but there's nothing I can do to change anything so I'll roll with the punches and remember that 4 losing seasons in 25 years is something quite special.

Rick
01-01-2018, 12:49 PM
I hated the hire, I hate the retain...

That said Elway, if you are keeping the bum then get him a damn QB that can play the game in his head as well as he can his arm and legs.

Staff changes have to happen, the defense regressed. Why did it regress? SOLVE that.

Why can't the line consistently block? SOLVE that.

If you are keeping this bum, then fix shit.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-01-2018, 12:54 PM
I’m not surprised. Disappointed, but not surprised. When Cleveland kept Hue Jackson after 0-16, I figured there would be no way that Elway would fire Clown Shoes after only one season.

Had Clown Shoes shown some coaching/leadership ability then it would be one thing regardless of the record. The fans know (or at least those of us who knew ****face was who we thought he was from the start) that this team has some serious personnel deficiencies. The problem is, Clown Shoes seemed to make bad situations worse. He made the worst decisions and then seemed “puzzled” at their outcome. He also seemed scared to make the tough “leader of men” decisions about players and coaches. It seemed that when a change had to be made, it came from the top. I have no doubt Elway fired McCoy and finally told Clown Shoes to get McKenzie off of punt returns.

The absolute biggest issue I saw that I just find it hard to get over was how the team would quit half way through a game or whenever they got down by 10 or more points. For all the good things the players have said about playing for Clown Shoes, they sure didn’t show it. Talk is cheap. Maybe he’ll improve as a HC next year. If not, I expect him to be gone by mid season. Most importantly, has Olivo been fired, yet?

UnderArmour
01-01-2018, 12:55 PM
I hated the hire, I hate the retain...

That said Elway, if you are keeping the bum then get him a damn QB that can play the game in his head as well as he can his arm and legs.

Staff changes have to happen, the defense regressed. Why did it regress? SOLVE that.

Why can't the line consistently block? SOLVE that.

If you are keeping this bum, then fix shit.

To be fair, the defense did not regress from a yard stand point. They were ranked #3 in total yards, #4 in passing, #5 in rushing this year vs. last year's #4 Total, #1 Passing, #28 rushing. The regression was in the lack of big plays, lack of turnovers, and of course points allowed.

Last year: #3 Scoring Defense
This year: #24 Scoring Defense

A lot of this was due to field position, which of course is a reflection on decisions made by the head coach and execution of the special teams unit. Needless to say, Olivo should be fired and Isiah McKenzie should be waived.

MasterShake
01-01-2018, 12:56 PM
I was ok with either decision, but I do find some relief that our team will have a bit of consistency at least with the head coach moving forward. i just want them to pick a plan and stick with it at this point. Short of injury, the QB next year should play in every game and have the team built around him next season. I am ok with a rebuild, and I kinda wished they approached this season like and just got it started earlier.

As a fan you have to be passive about things like this and just let it happen. I trust Elway to make the right call next year at whatever point if VJ isn't improved.

BroncoJoe
01-01-2018, 01:02 PM
The meltdown is going to rival last years election!

LOL.

BroncoWave
01-01-2018, 01:03 PM

LOL.

Eh, the stakes are way lower here. At the end of the day, it's just a football team. I think it was the wrong call, but I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2018, 01:04 PM
No grief. I love the Broncos, but there's nothing I can do to change anything so I'll roll with the punches and remember that 4 losing seasons in 25 years is something quite special.

Totally agree. Being a "spoiled" Broncos fan, is much better than the following:

Who has the longest playoff drought now? It’s been a good year for snapping long playoff droughts, with the Bills (1999), Los Angeles Rams (2003), and Jaguars (2007) all getting back on the wagon.

But we must have one long-suffering team, and it’s the most natural one possible: The Cleveland Browns haven’t made the playoffs since 2002, and it doesn’t look like they’ll be getting there any time soon.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/12/31/16831230/bills-playoffs-drought-1999-tyrod-taylor-sean-mcdermott-lesean-mccoy

UnderArmour
01-01-2018, 01:04 PM

LOL.

At this point, I'd take Hillary Clinton over Vance Joseph to be our head coach. At least she has leadership skills and would hold people accountable. I think any competent coach or leader would have permanently deactivated Isiah after fumble #3.

Northman
01-01-2018, 01:07 PM
Eh, the stakes are way lower here. At the end of the day, it's just a football team. I think it was the wrong call, but I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it.

Yep.

Disappointed by the result but i also believe going into next year that the leash will be very short for VJ. If have a bad start to the season than he could ousted pretty fast. I doubt John lets the season unravel like it did this year.

Rick
01-01-2018, 01:12 PM
The staff needs to utilize the talent it has more too.

Henderson is freaking explosive. Turn him the **** lose!

We have pass rushers on this team...turn them lose!

We have lock down corners, quit with the zone shit!

Buff
01-01-2018, 01:18 PM
Vic suggests Aqib and Emmanuel are two strong personalities who will likely be ousted next year. I read between the lines that maybe they are sewing some discord in the lockerroom.

BroncoWave
01-01-2018, 01:20 PM
Vic suggests Aqib and Emmanuel are two strong personalities who will likely be ousted next year. I read between the lines that maybe they are sewing some discord in the lockerroom.

Cool, let's just get rid of two of our best 5 players to keep this loser HC!

GEM
01-01-2018, 01:21 PM
Deserves its own thread. This franchise is doomed to failure for one more season at least. Terrible day for the fan base. The only positive here is the Broncos will have their pick of coaching candidates next year and be one of the most desirable jobs in football.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/947879039112564737

**** no, one more year where talent will flee in fa, we will squander a high draft pick because our scouting dept is terrible re:Paxton lynch, Brock Osweiler, and our head coach and his underlings don't have a ******* clue how to rally a team, but they know how to be friends. Elway ****** up today. No ******* coach in his right mind will want to pick up the pieces of this dumpster fire. ****!

GEM
01-01-2018, 01:23 PM

Let Emmanuel walk. Talib is a whole other story. Stab this defense in the heart. Might as well put a fork in them.

GEM
01-01-2018, 01:24 PM

Having Kubiak back in the building every day is probably going to help Joseph. I know that's not what his new title suggests, but I imagine they'll work closely together.

Oh if he turns out around, I'll happily eat crow, but that isn't happening, so not concerned with it.

Rick
01-01-2018, 01:26 PM
[QUOTE=Buff;2705624]Vic suggests Aqib and Emmanuel are two strong personalities who will likely be ousted next year. I read between the lines that maybe they are sewing some discord in the lockerroom.[/QUOTE

I will understand a little if they move past Talib if they go for a high priced QB, considering the do have a backup plan in Roby.

When trying to fix the offense though and bring in a next QB and giving him success right from the start, you don't ditch a probowl talent WR. You just don't. There is no-one on the team to step in for Sanders.

VonDoom
01-01-2018, 01:26 PM
Troy Renck
‏Verified account @TroyRenck
16m16 minutes ago

Don't get confused. This wasn't about player lobbying and maintaining continuity. This is about #Broncos believing Joseph can learn from mistakes and improve. Certainty at QB would help him tremendously, players repeated over and over again. #Denver7

Troy Renck
9m9 minutes ago

Troy Renck Retweeted Judge Stanton

Sands were shifting as the weekend progressed, creating uncertainty. Today, Elway met w Joseph -- surely wanting to know plan for staff changes, developing young players, etc -- and decided to keep him. Clearly, there was uncertainty, but he's back because they think will improve

Mike Klis
‏Verified account @MikeKlis
15m15 minutes ago

With Vance Joseph retained look for significant changes to his assistant coaching staff as soon as today. #9sports

Buff
01-01-2018, 01:27 PM

I do think that money + success + time breeds complacency. And given how badly this last year went, nobody should be untouchable... But I hate the idea that we're going to end up cutting Talib on a team-friendly deal and no team is going to trade for him if they know we're going to cut him.

And it also seems short sighted to get rid of Sanders when he's probably been our single most consistent offensive player over the last several years.

GEM
01-01-2018, 01:28 PM
Troy Renck
16m16 minutes ago

Don't get confused. This wasn't about player lobbying and maintaining continuity. This is about #Broncos believing Joseph can learn from mistakes and improve. Certainty at QB would help him tremendously, players repeated over and over again. #Denver7

Troy Renck
9m9 minutes ago

Troy Renck Retweeted Judge Stanton

Sands were shifting as the weekend progressed, creating uncertainty. Today, Elway met w Joseph -- surely wanting to know plan for staff changes, developing young players, etc -- and decided to keep him. Clearly, there was uncertainty, but he's back because they think will improve

Mike Klis
15m15 minutes ago

With Vance Joseph retained look for significant changes to his assistant coaching staff as soon as today. #9sports

Yea, blame the assistants, shit rolls downhill, but it starts at the top.

D1g1tal j1m
01-01-2018, 01:29 PM
HCVJ didn't wow anyone with his coaching decisions this year, but I will allow him to learn from his first year mistakes and hopes he improves next year. The players wanted him to return so I don't think he lost the locker room as much as I thought or was reported. Some players will be jettisons (Talib, Stewart, Fowler, half the offensive line, etc) and hopefully a RT and better LB's will be brought in.

Elway likes HCVJ (a yes man to Elway) so I had a feeling he would be retained if he kept the last game close. Hope we have better results next year.

VonDoom
01-01-2018, 01:31 PM
Let Emmanuel walk. Talib is a whole other story. Stab this defense in the heart. Might as well put a fork in them.

At some point, Talib will be gone, we just have to accept that. The defense is still the heart and soul of this team but our offense has been putrid since Manning's decline. If we're bringing in a FA QB, that will cost money and saving $11 million from Talib is a possibility.

As for Sanders, I don't think they cut him. Saves $5.5 million but leaves a dead money hit of $5.3 million, per Over the Cap. Even from a heartless perspective, that doesn't seem worth it to me.

Guys like CJ and Watson are the most likely to be gone to free up money.

GEM
01-01-2018, 01:34 PM
At some point, Talib will be gone, we just have to accept that. The defense is still the heart and soul of this team but our offense has been putrid since Manning's decline. If we're bringing in a FA QB, that will cost money and saving $11 million from Talib is a possibility.

As for Sanders, I don't think they cut him. Saves $5.5 million but leaves a dead money hit of $5.3 million, per Over the Cap. Even from a heartless perspective, that doesn't seem worth it to me.

You find a way to keep Talib because the only thing worth saving on this team is the defense and Talib is the heart.

Sanders is a primadonna me first all eyes on me we who posts you'll miss me when I'm gone during the season. His eyes aren't on this team, it's on his next landing spot and paycheck.

Rick
01-01-2018, 01:34 PM
I think it is almost 100% CJ will be gone. I am thinking he will flee to Miami.

I would actually still keep Watson IF he would take a cut in pay. I would have him compete at guard and swing tackle.

Rick
01-01-2018, 01:35 PM
You find a way to keep Talib because the only thing worth saving on this team is the defense and Talib is the heart.

Sanders is a primadonna me first all eyes on me we who posts you'll miss me when I'm gone during the season.

To be fair, that is kind of a WR trait. Most of them are prima-donnas.

BroncoWave
01-01-2018, 01:36 PM

Sanders is a primadonna me first all eyes on me we who posts you'll miss me when I'm gone during the season. His eyes aren't on this team, it's on his next landing spot and paycheck.

Sanders is also the only player on our offense who looks like he gives a shit half the time. If we had to get rid of a WR, I'd rather keep Sanders and ship off DT.

GEM
01-01-2018, 01:36 PM
To be fair, that is kind of a WR trait. Most of them are prima-donnas.

Well I'll take DT and sunshine. Sanders is replaceable.

GEM
01-01-2018, 01:37 PM
Sanders is also the only player on our offense who looks like he gives a shit half the time. If we had to get rid of a WR, I'd rather keep Sanders and ship off DT.

Well that isn't happening with DT's contract.

BroncoWave
01-01-2018, 01:38 PM
Well that isn't happening with DT's contract.

Agreed, but in an ideal world, I'd rather keep Sanders strictly as a player.

GEM
01-01-2018, 01:39 PM
Happy New year. Shit way to start it out. :pissedoff:

UnderArmour
01-01-2018, 01:39 PM

No way they cut either one of them without exploring trades. As spoiled as this team has been with CBs, there are simply not enough good ones around the league for a competent GM to walk away with nothing for a Pro Bowler. If both or either get moved, it will be for draft picks.

GEM
01-01-2018, 01:40 PM
Agreed, but in an ideal world, I'd rather keep Sanders strictly as a player.

My response is keeping Sanders vs keeping Talib. Talib wins that every day of the week and twice on Tuesday.

GEM
01-01-2018, 01:41 PM
No way they cut either one of them without exploring trades. As spoiled as this team has been with CBs, there are simply not enough good ones around the league for a competent GM to walk away with nothing for a Pro Bowler. If both or either get moved, it will be for draft picks.

Just like Ward, if they know you're going to cut them, they aren't giving up shit.

Slick
01-01-2018, 01:42 PM
Dumping Talib or Sanders would be monumentally stupid.

Elway is losing me.

Tned
01-01-2018, 01:43 PM
I have been indifferent. I have no idea if he'll become a descent to good coach, but only giving him one year with all the other problems he inherited didn't seem right. Not a fan of firing a HC after one year.

This is pretty much where I'm at.

Slick
01-01-2018, 01:46 PM

You don't sign a vet QB and then dump stud veteran players.

If he goes QB with the top 5 pick, he's finally admitting to rebuilding instead of retooling and cutting veterans makes a little more sense.

BroncoWave
01-01-2018, 01:47 PM
You don't sign a vet QB and then dump stud veteran players.

If he goes QB with the top 5 pick, he's finally admitting to rebuilding instead of retooling and cutting veterans makes a little more sense.

The prospect of drafting a QB in the top 5 and putting him in Joseph's hands scares me.

Slick
01-01-2018, 01:49 PM
The prospect of drafting a QB in the top 5 and putting him in Joseph's hands scares me.

Hopefully if that happens, Musgrave doesn't let Vance near him.

BroncoJoe
01-01-2018, 01:50 PM

I read this all the time - like we don't have an OC or QB coach. I'm pretty sure the HC doesn't have daily interaction with player development. That's why there are assistants with very specific roles.

D1g1tal j1m
01-01-2018, 01:51 PM
Talib is a good player, but father time always wins and plus he is making way too much money to keep him. Plus I don't think he is the "leader" that some believe he is. He is a hot head that makes stupid and selfish decisions on the field that hurts the team and gives the defense a bad name/image with the refs that puts them at a disadvantage before the whistle is blown. I am ok with CHJ and BR at corner with some fresh blood from this upcoming draft.

BroncoWave
01-01-2018, 01:52 PM
I read this all the time - like we don't have an OC or QB coach. I'm pretty sure the HC doesn't have daily interaction with player development. That's why there are assistants with very specific roles.

Because our OC and QB coach did such a great job with our QBs this year.

BroncoJoe
01-01-2018, 01:54 PM
Because our OC and QB coach did such a great job with our QBs this year.

They had to work with what they had.

Tbolt
01-01-2018, 02:01 PM
I think this amounted to Elway being given a choice. Waste the cash on a fired coach or spend it on a free agent signing but not both.

I’m already writing off next year.

On the plus side, my wl for season tickets is sure to shoot up now.

chazoe60
01-01-2018, 02:24 PM
I think it sucks, but I Also expected it. We will have a bad season again next year and hopefully Elway and Joseph move on. Time for a cleansing.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2018, 02:35 PM
Guess Elway has not done enough to satisfy some for what he has accomplished before this season.

Since taking over in 2011, Elway’s 71 victories (71-29-0 overall) are believed to be the most by any NFL general manager in history through his first 100 games. We’re talking better than such talent gods as Al Davis (69), Bill Polian (61), Tex Schram (61), Ron Wolf (56) and Jim Finks (54).

Under Elway, the Broncos rank second in the NFL in total wins (75), playoff berths (five), division titles (five), Super Bowl appearances (two) and Super Bowl titles (one). He has signed or extended the contracts of 16 players who have combined for 32 Pro Bowls.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2017/09/22/denver-broncos-john-elway-executive-winner/691403001/

Buff
01-01-2018, 02:38 PM
Another thing worth mentioning is how badly Elway hung VJ out to dry here... As Jay Glazer and others have noted - Vance woke up on Sunday thinking he was safe, then he sees the Schefter report that he's likely out, and Schefter's Denver ties run deep... Elway basically signals to everyone that he's on the fence. And then today he get the long awaited vote of confidence... When in reality he's pretty much cemented VJ as a lameduck who is going to be on the hotseat from minute 1 next year.

chazoe60
01-01-2018, 02:41 PM
Guess Elway has not done enough to satisfy some for what he has accomplished before this season.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2017/09/22/denver-broncos-john-elway-executive-winner/691403001/

And not drafted a single ProBowler since 2012.

MNPatsFan
01-01-2018, 02:41 PM
I have been indifferent. I have no idea if he'll become a descent to good coach, but only giving him one year with all the other problems he inherited didn't seem right. Not a fan of firing a HC after one year.I'm curious what problems he inherited? From a 10,000 foot view (an outsider who watches only a few Broncos games a season), seems that VJ took a team that had a great D an slightly sub-par offense and middling special teams and turned that into a team that had awful special teams, a really bad offense and a drastically under-performing D. Based on what I have read from Broncos fans, it was VJ's decision to not retain Wade Phillips and to hire the DC, OC and Special Teams Coach. If that is not accurate and Elway made those hires, then VJ clearly inherited problems. If VJ, however, did make those hires then isn't he ultimately responsible for the failures of the offense, defense and special teams? Although certain posters on here are going to assert or claim I am trolling, I am curious if my observations and/or opinion(s) are inaccurate concerning this topic, and ONLY this topic (I'm pre-emptively closing the door to a number of posters responding that I am ALWAYS inaccurate because I am a Pats fan:lol:) and am seeking your insights and opinion Joe because you tend to be well reasoned and insightful in your posts, observations and opinions!:salute:

DenBronx
01-01-2018, 02:45 PM
The only thing that can save this cluster is a franchise QB. We have all seen it. A great QB can mask alot of areas of weakness. I am not happy with VJ staying and already dreading next year too. It just makes no sense at all.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2018, 02:47 PM
Adam Schefter
‏Verified account @AdamSchefter
31 Dec 2017

Broncos’ HC Vance Joseph faces increasingly longer odds at being retained and returning for his second season in Denver, league sources tell ESPN.

Guess the league sources were wrong. Schefter was just passing this along.

Cugel
01-01-2018, 02:49 PM
[QUOTE=Buff;2705624]Vic suggests Aqib and Emmanuel are two strong personalities who will likely be ousted next year. I read between the lines that maybe they are sewing some discord in the lockerroom.[/QUOTE

I will understand a little if they move past Talib if they go for a high priced QB, considering the do have a backup plan in Roby.

When trying to fix the offense though and bring in a next QB and giving him success right from the start, you don't ditch a probowl talent WR. You just don't. There is no-one on the team to step in for Sanders.

Tis' called salary cap managment. Talib is making $12.5m next year, and Roby just went in his contract from $1m cap hit to $8.5m for 2018. Chris Harris is getting $10.3m, so combined the three CBs would have to be paid $32m combined. That's just way too much.

They always intended to develop Bradley Roby until he was ready to take Talib's place. It doesn't matter if he's 100% the player Talib was. He's much cheaper and younger and they drafted him and developed him and now he's ready to become one of the top 2 CBs on the roster. They are paying him #2 CB money now. There is just no way you can justify all the salary at that one position when they need the money to sign veteran FAs at a bunch of different positions: RT, QB, TE?, DT?

No way Talib would take a pay cut so he is probably gone. And that probability becomes a certainty if they need the money to hire a $20m veteran QB.

And I don't just mean Kirk Cousins, since he's very unlikely to sign here. I mean more likely Teddy Bridgewater or Case Keenum or Alex Smith or Tyrod Taylor or possibly Sam Bradford. If they are drafting someone like Sam Darnold, or Josh Allen or Mayfield, then they will need a QB capable of starting for a full year, because it might take until year 2 for the QB to become ready to play.

MOtorboat
01-01-2018, 02:56 PM

How was the league source here wrong? "Long odds" doesn't mean there's not a chance he's coming back, it means that the odds are he wouldn't be. That seems to imply he beat those odds, meaning something swayed Elway. Other reporting seems to bear this out, as well.

Nomad
01-01-2018, 02:57 PM
I guess losing didn't work out to get rid of Joseph.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2018, 02:58 PM
Alex Marvez‏Verified account @alexmarvez

Now that Vance Joseph is reutrning as HC, don't be surprised if @Broncos fire offensive line coach Jeff Davidson. A source tells @sportingnews that ex-NFL o-line coach Sean Kugler is slated to interview for a staff position this week.

MOtorboat
01-01-2018, 03:00 PM
How the **** does Olivo still have a job!?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2018, 03:02 PM
Alex Marvez‏Verified account @alexmarvez

Now that Vance Joseph is reutrning as HC, don't be surprised if @Broncos fire offensive line coach Jeff Davidson. A source tells @sportingnews that ex-NFL o-line coach Sean Kugler is slated to interview for a staff position this week.

Troy Renck
6m6 minutes ago

Davidson expected to be let go. He was brought in by McCoy

Rick
01-01-2018, 03:04 PM
Davidson was suppose to be the cats meow I thought.

BroncoJoe
01-01-2018, 03:05 PM

I just can't imagine he'll be retained...

But, stranger things have happened.

Cugel
01-01-2018, 03:15 PM

That was yesterday. And the source was very probably John Elway or sources close to Elway. And Elway mulled it over, over night and came to the conclusion that he would retain Vance for 1 more year. It seems to have been a close decision.

But, #1: there was no obvious candidate to replace Joseph. The top coaching candidates would never consider coming to Denver now, with all the instability, especially the fact that Elway has a hair-trigger and keeps firing his coaches. That makes Denver an undesirable head coaching job that coaches with other offers will avoid.

By waiting a year he calms things down. Now if it doesn't work out this year and they have to fire Joseph then Elway can tell the next coaching candidate, "we gave Vance every chance to succeed, it just didn't work." There's no chance of success if it's just a coaching carousel of constant change.

Cugel
01-01-2018, 03:18 PM

Tis' called salary cap managment. Talib is making $12.5m next year, and Roby just went in his contract from $1m cap hit to $8.5m for 2018. Chris Harris is getting $10.3m, so combined the three CBs would have to be paid $32m combined. That's just way too much.

They always intended to develop Bradley Roby until he was ready to take Talib's place. It doesn't matter if he's 100% the player Talib was. He's much cheaper and younger and they drafted him and developed him and now he's ready to become one of the top 2 CBs on the roster. They are paying him #2 CB money now. There is just no way you can justify all the salary at that one position when they need the money to sign veteran FAs at a bunch of different positions: RT, QB, TE?, DT?

No way Talib would take a pay cut so he is probably gone. And that probability becomes a certainty if they need the money to hire a $20m veteran QB.

And I don't just mean Kirk Cousins, since he's very unlikely to sign here. I mean more likely Teddy Bridgewater or Case Keenum or Alex Smith or Tyrod Taylor or possibly Sam Bradford. If they are drafting someone like Sam Darnold, or Josh Allen or Mayfield, then they will need a QB capable of starting for a full year, because it might take until year 2 for the QB to become ready to play.

Hawgdriver
01-01-2018, 03:18 PM

culture of asskickers

Nomad
01-01-2018, 03:19 PM
culture of asskissers

f i f y :D

Cugel
01-01-2018, 03:20 PM
As for Elway keeping Vance Joseph, And worse, it would be patently hypocritical for Elway to blame Joseph for HIS, Elway's personnel failures. The 2017 draft for instance did not develop one single star player. The best of them, Garrett Bolles was clearly not the right pick - Ryan Ramczhek turned out be better, so that was another drafting failure on Elway's part. There's a lot of talk they move Bolles over to the right tackle spot and either sign or draft a LT.

The draft has been pretty horrible the last 3 years in particular. Paxton Lynch, DeMarcus Walker, Carlos Henderson, Brenden Langley, Ty Sambrailo, Jeff Heurmann, etc. None of them has emerged as solid starters, and some are probably total busts (Sambrailo was cut for instance).

They probably move Langley into the #3 CB slot next year. That is why they drafted him. Is he ready? Who knows, maybe not. But, he's cheaper and they need to move some money around from defense to offense.

Too much money on this team is tied up in defensive players, they are going to need to spend more $ on offense, starting with the veteran FA QB.

Even a guy like AJ McCarron will cost them around $16m- $20m a year. Teddy Bridgewater or Case Keenum would be somewhere in the $20's, and of course Kirk Cousins will top $30m a year.

FAs are expensive. Sam Bradford might not get $20m though. I have no idea what salary he will command. My guess is there's a team somewhere that wants to give him the starting job, but it might be at a lower figure - somewhere between $16-$20m.

Then there's Ryan Tannehill who's under contract for $17.5m but whom the Dolphins might let go. I have zero idea what interest there is in him, or in Josh McCown or Ryan Fitzpatrick, both of whom are unrestricted FAs.

All those latter guys are backups, but if Elway drafts a QB in the top 5 that guy will have to get on the field and play as soon as possible. They have to hope he develops like DeShaun Watson did for Houston last year.

Cugel
01-01-2018, 03:23 PM
Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post

Because there was nobody on the coaching roster with special teams experience capable of taking his place.

Now, if he stays for next season, then the fans can complain. But, clearly the special teams were not the biggest problem this season. The QB and the OL were bigger. So, Olivo should be fired soon and that will be good enough.

I'm not going to lose my mind if he stays through February, just as long as there's some replacement before training camp.

BroncoJoe
01-01-2018, 03:24 PM
Learn how to quote properly, Cugel.

Thank goodness no one reads, let alone quotes, your posts.

UnderArmour
01-01-2018, 03:32 PM
Because there was nobody on the coaching roster with special teams experience capable of taking his place.

Now, if he stays for next season, then the fans can complain. But, clearly the special teams were not the biggest problem this season. The QB and the OL were bigger. So, Olivo should be fired soon and that will be good enough.

I'm not going to lose my mind if he stays through February, just as long as there's some replacement before training camp.

The Broncos went from the #3 Scoring defense to #24. A big part of that was starting field position, and losing the turnover battle. He should be immediately fired.

Nomad
01-01-2018, 03:45 PM
The Broncos went from the #3 Scoring defense to #24. A big part of that was starting field position, and losing the turnover battle. He should be immediately fired.

I know we're talking ST, but would you be interested in bringing in Capers to take over the DC duties (I mention him because he's available, and has had good defenses)? Or do you think Woods did a good job with the hand he was dealt?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2018, 03:47 PM
Mike Klis
1m1 minute ago

Special teams coordinator Bock Olivo has been fired, per source. #9sports

Mike Klis
2m2 minutes ago

Tough news. Tyke Tolbert, Broncos' WR coach since Tebow year of 2011, has been let go. "I've been very blessed for me and my family for being here 7 years. Great organization. I know this is part of business. Want to thank Bronco fans and players for 7 great years. '' #9sports

I am surprised that Tyke was let go.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2018, 03:48 PM
Mike Klis
27s27 seconds ago

Brock Olivo truly one of the smartest, most interesting, and best guys I've met in covering sports. His special teams just didn't consistently play well. And NFL only cares about playing well. #9sports

BroncoWave
01-01-2018, 03:51 PM
Thank God they let Olivio go. That had to happen.

UnderArmour
01-01-2018, 03:52 PM
I know we're talking ST, but would you be interested in bringing in Capers to take over the DC duties (I mention him because he's available, and has had good defenses)? Or do you think Woods did a good job with the hand he was dealt?

Woods should stay. Barrett looked good at the end of the season, and Gotsis took a major step this year. Neither are the playmakers we need them to be yet, but everything on defense is "close." If the defense had just one more playmaker in the front 7, things would be different. Despite consistently dealing with short fields, the defense still finished top 5 in yards allowed, and the run D was vastly improved from last season. The turnover battle and inept offense/special teams units doomed them from the start.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2018, 03:54 PM
Mike Klis
56s56 seconds ago

One possible fit for Broncos as they search for new special teams coordinator: Carolina's Thomas McGaughey. He's a free agent after this season. #9sports

Cugel
01-01-2018, 03:57 PM
Learn how to quote properly, Cugel.

Thank goodness no one reads, let alone quotes, your posts.

Thank goodness for your clever rant.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-01-2018, 04:01 PM

I didn’t get that. I thought the insinuation was with coaches with strong personalities, not players, although at times I’ve gotten the impression Sanders can be a malcontent

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2018, 04:02 PM
Nicki Jhabvala
‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala
1m1 minute ago

Broncos defensive coordinator Joe Woods is expected to be retained.

Nicki Jhabvala
1m1 minute ago

Broncos assistant head coach/running backs Eric Studesville was informed he will be let go.

Good grief - two shocks for me - Tolbert and now Studesville

UnderArmour
01-01-2018, 04:05 PM
Good grief - two shocks for me - Tolbert and now Studesville

Tolbert makes sense, given the failure to develop a 3rd receiver. Studesville is a surprise, but I imagine a big part in gutting the offensive staff is so that Musgrave can have "his guys" supporting him.

BroncoWave
01-01-2018, 04:05 PM
Man, we're really cleaning house with the assistants. No more excuses for VJ next year. He has to be entering this season on the hottest seat in the league.

Buff
01-01-2018, 04:06 PM
I didn’t get that. I thought the insinuation was with coaches with string personalities, not players, although at times I’ve gotten the impression Sanders can be a malcontent

In his little streaming video on twitter he actually named them specifically.

https://twitter.com/VicLombardi/status/947891366779957248

Northman
01-01-2018, 04:08 PM
Man, we're really cleaning house with the assistants. No more excuses for VJ next year. He has to be entering this season on the hottest seat in the league.

Nope, he will have a very short leash next year.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2018, 04:11 PM
Nicki Jhabvala
1m1 minute ago

Eric Studesville was the longest-tenured Broncos coach on staff. Served as interim HC in 2010 & was promoted to asst. HC last yr. Studesville was the one who encouraged C.J. Anderson to pick up cycling in the offseason, which helped Anderson to his first 1,000-yd season

Nomad
01-01-2018, 04:13 PM
I guess moving forward all we can do is support Joseph, and hope he had the first year jitters. Next year, maybe/hopefully he turns it around. My optimism kicking in. :D :lol:

Cugel
01-01-2018, 04:14 PM

I was just explaining why he wasn't fired DURING the season, because I couldn't understand it either to be honest. That was the explanation. Because of some oversight, nobody on the coaching staff had special teams experience, so there was nobody to take over the job if they fired Olivo in mid season.

But, now the heads will start to roll properly.

Northman
01-01-2018, 04:15 PM
I dont know if i need to support him as much as he needs to prove he can win ballgames. My biggest interest will be to see what we do in the draft and FA. VJ has proven that when adversity strikes he fails, so if we can give him a shit ton of talent than maybe he can Trent Dilfer his way back to the playoffs with this team.

VonDoom
01-01-2018, 04:16 PM
https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/947934613829226496

Magnificent Seven
01-01-2018, 04:17 PM
So far... Elway and Broncos fired 4 coaches and revamping the coaching system.

Coaches are fired: Offensive Coordinator Mike McCoy, Offensive Line Coach Jeff Davision, Special Team Coach Brock Olivo, and Wide Receiver Coach Tyke Tolbert.

Running Back Coach Eric Studesville might be next.

Buff
01-01-2018, 04:17 PM
Re: Studesville

https://twitter.com/cjandersonb22/status/947938798448525312

:popcorn:

Northman
01-01-2018, 04:20 PM
CJ not happy about that one.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor

Nicki Jhabvala Retweeted
Cj Anderson
‏Verified account @cjandersonb22
3m3 minutes ago

THATS BULLSHIT

Sometimes long time assistants are no longer a good fit when someone younger and less experienced is brought in. It’s part of life and doesn’t mean they aren’t good coaches. It just means their time has run its course. It’s a different scenario than if VJ had brought them in himself

Denver Native (Carol)
I agree with C J

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-01-2018, 04:22 PM
I agree with C J
Just because he’s not a good fit anymore Carol, doesn’t mean he’s not a good coach. Having been in the business world for a while I can see why this makes sense

Northman
01-01-2018, 04:26 PM
Guess Cj was the only player to go to bat for Eric whereas everyone else wanted to retain Vaj

BroncoWave
01-01-2018, 04:27 PM
Well in good news CJ, you probably won't be back next year either, so you can follow him wherever he goes.

Rick
01-01-2018, 04:28 PM
Why does Elway have 1 of the smallest departments...beef it up Elway!

Get some guys in there that are midgets and like short guys!

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2018, 04:29 PM
Nicki Jhabvala Retweeted
Cj Anderson
‏Verified account @cjandersonb22
7m7 minutes ago

Sad to see my guy go wish I coulda done more 4 my guy, so thankful to be coach by an amazing man better coach. Taught me so much I have been successful because of coach E. Thanks coach I will miss you I think it’s wrong but understand the biz. Good luck E I know you will be solid

BroncoJoe
01-01-2018, 04:30 PM
CJ not happy about that one.

Eh. He probably won't be here next year anyway.

Rick
01-01-2018, 04:30 PM
Guess Cj was the only player to go to bat for Eric whereas everyone else wanted to retain Vaj

That almost sounds like it was an either or...

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2018, 04:32 PM
Troy Renck
33m33 minutes ago

One receiver when told Tolbert let go. "Damn!" Tolbert was well-respected by players. Good coach. He will land somewhere. #Denver7

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2018, 04:40 PM
Mike Klis
9s9 seconds ago

OLB coach Fred Pagac has been fired, per sources. Broncos just didn't get much edge pass rush this year without DeMarcus Ware. Shane Ray only 1 sack with injured wrist. Even Von Miller limited to 10 sacks. #9sports

Nomad
01-01-2018, 04:46 PM
I guess Hurricane Elway has landed. Is Elway's fate riding on his decision in keeping Joseph?

AgentOrange
01-01-2018, 04:48 PM
My guess (and it's a total guess) is that Studesville has been around long enough to know a shitty HC when he saw one and probably made his views known. He'll be picked up. Let's hope it's not within the division.

MOtorboat
01-01-2018, 05:04 PM
Olivo is gone. Don’t much care about anything else.

Dude should have been gone in October.

Ziggy
01-01-2018, 05:11 PM
Posted this somewhere else as well:

Woods should have been fired. He took a great man defense and tried to turn them into a zone D. Ridiculous. He was still playing some zone through the last game. With even better personnel to stop the run, the Broncos defense declined where it mattered. While some of the surface stats were good, the one that really matters to a defense tells the truth about Woods.

Denver Broncos 2016 points allowed: 18.6
Denver Broncos 2017 points allowed: 23.9

Think it had nothing to do with coaching?

LA Rams 2016 points allowed: 24.6
LA Rams 2017 points allowed: 20.6

Vance has cost this team some very good coaches. Wade, Studesville, Tolbert, to name a few.

chazoe60
01-01-2018, 05:16 PM
Posted this somewhere else as well:

Woods should have been fired. He took a great man defense and tried to turn them into a zone D. Ridiculous. He was still playing some zone through the last game. With even better personnel to stop the run, the Broncos defense declined where it mattered. While some of the surface stats were good, the one that really matters to a defense tells the truth about Woods.

Denver Broncos 2016 points allowed: 18.6
Denver Broncos 2017 points allowed: 23.9

Think it had nothing to do with coaching?

LA Rams 2016 points allowed: 24.6
LA Rams 2017 points allowed: 20.6

Vance has cost this team some very good coaches. Wade, Studesville, Tolbert, to name a few.

It's on Elway. Sorry but that's the truth. Elway saw something that does not exist in this guy and now the franchise is paying for it. Elway has also screwed up the QB and OL positions horribly.

Elway is reason #1 why we suck right now. He has a chance to fix it let's see if he can.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2018, 05:21 PM
Mike Klis

Verified account @MikeKlis
3m3 minutes ago

Did Elway think long and hard about Joseph's fate? Yes because 5-11 will never sit well with him, especially lopsided nature of so many Ls. But in my multiple talks w/Elway in last 2 weeks he always circled back to giving Joseph chance with new QBs and assistant coaches. #9sports

Mike Klis
15m15 minutes ago

Earlier, NY Giants notified Broncos they wanted to interview Eric Studesville for their head coaching position. Studesville now available and deserving of opportunity. He's a good coach. #9sports

I am hoping that the Giants are just not using Eric

LawDog
01-01-2018, 05:25 PM
Mike Klis

I am hoping that the Giants are just not using Eric

When Studes ends up as HC for NYG (or somewhere else) CJ’s little twatter rant is gonna seem even more silly.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2018, 05:26 PM
Troy Renck
37m37 minutes ago

The purge continues... Pagac first defensive coach let go. He is a favorite of @VonMiller... Offensive and defensive coordinators safe. But plenty of new faces this offseason.

Troy Renck Retweeted
Zac Stevens
‏ @ZacStevensBSN
39m39 minutes ago

#Broncos fire OLB coach Fred Pagac, per @MikeKlis. Von Miller and others voiced tons of support for ‘Coach Pug’ over the past week.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2018, 06:15 PM
“Personally, for me, Coach Pug has been one of the best coaches I’ve ever had,” Miller said following the Broncos’ loss to Kansas City on Sunday. “(Chargers linebackers) coach (Richard) Smith and Coach Pug are right there together. It will be unfortunate to let Coach Pug leave. I feel like he’s a part of me. Coach Pug, I’ve been working with him and he’s really seen me develop as a player. He knows me.”

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/01/01/broncos-coaching-changes-2018/

Nomad
01-01-2018, 06:18 PM
So these players have been endorsing Joseph all this time, and now endorsing position coaches who are being fired. :confused: Who do they really endorse?

dogfish
01-01-2018, 06:27 PM
somebody better go check on slim. . .

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2018, 06:53 PM
Good article

Broncos say goodbye to coaches Studesville, Tolbert, Olivo, Pagac, Davidson

http://www.9news.com/sports/broncos-say-goodbye-to-coaches-studesville-tolbert-olivo-pagac-davidson/504026327

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2018, 06:55 PM
Nicki Jhabvala
1h1 hour ago

Broncos signed 10 players to reserve/futures contracts:

Paul Boyette, DT
River Cracraft, WR
Jordan Leslie, WR
Stansly Maponga, DE
Jordan Moore, DB
Brian Parker, TE
Tim Patrick, WR
Jeremiah Poutasi, T
Marcus Rush, LB
Jhaustin Thomas, DE

Denver Native (Carol)
01-01-2018, 07:11 PM
Mike Klis
11m11 minutes ago

Add a sixth coach to Broncos staff purge — assistant secondary coach Johnny Lynn. #9sports

Northman
01-01-2018, 07:12 PM
Vj must really have some incriminating evidence on Elway. Lol

GEM
01-01-2018, 07:23 PM
****, what a shitty day in Broncoville. Keep the biggest ******** and fire his underlings. Someone has to fall on the knife though. Unfortunately, I don't think any of this makes us a better team....

Davii
01-01-2018, 07:29 PM
****, what a shitty day in Broncoville. Keep the biggest ******** and fire his underlings. Someone has to fall on the knife though. Unfortunately, I don't think any of this makes us a better team....

It's very disappointing. I think purging the entire coaching staff just one year in might've been just as bad though. I have zero confidence in VJ but hopefully he's learned some lessons (I saw no evidence of it in season) abd John gives him something better to work with

underrated29
01-01-2018, 07:30 PM
I never got th studisville love

topscribe
01-01-2018, 08:00 PM
**** no, one more year where talent will flee in fa, we will squander a high draft pick because our scouting dept is terrible re:Paxton lynch, Brock Osweiler, and our head coach and his underlings don't have a ******* clue how to rally a team, but they know how to be friends. Elway ****** up today. No ******* coach in his right mind will want to pick up the pieces of this dumpster fire. ****!
The maven of meltdown . . . :lol:

Freyaka
01-01-2018, 08:10 PM
I'm not exactly happy about this, but I'm not on the ledge ready to jump either. IMO the biggest problem with 2017 was Mike McCoy. Right behind him was Brock Olivio. Musgrave and Woods sticking around makes me happy. We'll get this ship righted.

It's going to be the same head coach, but with a vastly different coaching staff, the atmosphere in Denver in 2018 should be very different. Hopefully we put our top 5 draft pick to use in a good way and not with another trash pick who won't be on the team in 3 years.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-01-2018, 08:15 PM

Well, the Olivo firing is addition by subtraction...

Cugel
01-01-2018, 08:17 PM

Vic Lombardi says that Aqib and Emanuel Sanders won't be back. That he's talked to them and that Aqib doesn't expect to be back. That makes sense since you'd free up about combined $22m from cutting them loose. If they threw in CJ's $4.5m, or found that amount elsewhere, that's about the cap room they would need to sign a veteran T and a budget FA veteran QB (i.e. less than $20m a year).

And Elway could need that cap room in order to sign a veteran QB.

Freyaka
01-01-2018, 08:17 PM

Firing McCoy earlier in the year and Olivio now does a whole lot to right the ship. I feel like if you get a competent o-line coach in here and give Musgrave an offseason to install his system, this team will be competitive again even with VJ.

Cugel
01-01-2018, 08:26 PM

You have a point. We have to learn to look on the bright side of life.

Cugel
01-01-2018, 08:28 PM
I don't think this team is in any danger of winning the SB next season, even if they get a decent FA QB like Teddy Bridgewater or Case Keenum or Alex Smith, as well as drafting a rookie QB.

But, doing that, plus adding a FA RT would certainly help a lot. They could quite easily win the division in that case.

NightTerror218
01-01-2018, 08:31 PM
I knew vj would get a 2nd season. Only browns fire a coach after a season. But cleaning the offensive side and olivio was needed. Let Musgrave run that show. New St corrdinator will be new trick

GEM
01-01-2018, 08:37 PM
The maven of meltdown . . . :lol:

Damn Skippy. No rainbows and sunshine over here.

ShaneFalco
01-01-2018, 08:43 PM
pretty awful. Another shit season next year, nothing to even look forward to. Starting to get tired of Elway.

studes is more qualified to be head coach then VJ

ShaneFalco
01-01-2018, 08:46 PM

good lord. he rub his dick on you too?

topscribe
01-01-2018, 08:48 PM
pretty awful. Another shit season next year, nothing to even look forward to. Starting to get tired of Elway.

studes is more qualified to be head coach then VJ
It is what it is. We just have to keep rooting for our team and hope they are more correct than we are.
Even though they sent Studesville down the road. :tsk:

ShaneFalco
01-01-2018, 08:52 PM
The first screw up was not resigning trevathan, in order to fight over Brocks contract.
Then came Sanchez,

Then came Lynch, Not resigning Wade.

Now this.

Pretty much a blueprint how to destroy a historic Defense and turn into a mediocre team.

AgentOrange
01-01-2018, 08:53 PM
Hey VJ, there's a couple of college coaches in the Rose Bowl who are kicking your ass when it comes to time out and clock management. Hope you're taking notes.

ShaneFalco
01-01-2018, 08:54 PM
Hey VJ, there's a couple of college coaches in the Rose Bowl who are kicking your ass when it comes to time out and clock management. Hope you're taking notes.

He should be fired on his usage of time outs alone.

Guy should be coaching in Canada.

ShaneFalco
01-01-2018, 08:57 PM
At this point, I'd take Hillary Clinton over Vance Joseph to be our head coach. At least she has leadership skills and would hold people accountable. I think any competent coach or leader would have permanently deactivated Isiah after fumble #3.

Isiah would have been suicided real quick under Clinton.

Freyaka
01-01-2018, 09:45 PM
I don't think this team is in any danger of winning the SB next season, even if they get a decent FA QB like Teddy Bridgewater or Case Keenum or Alex Smith, as well as drafting a rookie QB.

But, doing that, plus adding a FA RT would certainly help a lot. They could quite easily win the division in that case.

I don't understand how adding farts is going to help anyone? If that was the case, we could have just been feeding this team mexican food all last season.

Ziggy
01-01-2018, 09:58 PM
Northman called this season at the beginning of the year. I will now officially refer to him for future opportunities for optimism until Vance Joseph is gone.

AgentOrange
01-01-2018, 10:01 PM
I don't understand how adding farts is going to help anyone? If that was the case, we could have just been feeding this team mexican food all last season.

It must have worked for Schlereth. Has to be something to his nickname.

Nomad
01-01-2018, 10:03 PM
Northman called this season at the beginning of the year. I will now officially refer to him for future opportunities for optimism until Vance Joseph is gone.

Oh lawd.....as if my buddy's ego isn't big enough. :laugh: Love ya, north. :D

Northman
01-01-2018, 10:06 PM
Northman, #1 on the field and #1 in your hearts!

chazoe60
01-01-2018, 10:14 PM

To me he's a big ol' #2

Freyaka
01-01-2018, 10:32 PM

I was going to hop in here and call you a giant deuce, but someone beat me to it.

spikerman
01-01-2018, 11:03 PM
To me he's a big ol' #2

Hey, be nice. He’s not so big anymore.

VonDoom
01-01-2018, 11:08 PM
Studesville interviewing for the Giants HC job this week. Good for him (no sarcasm).

Cugel
01-02-2018, 02:07 AM
Studesville interviewing for the Giants HC job this week. Good for him (no sarcasm).

Supposedly, they want either Matt Patricia or Josh McMoron since their GM has Patriots ties.

ShaneFalco
01-02-2018, 05:40 AM
https://cbsdenver.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/vance-joseph2.jpg?w=1500

ShaneFalco
01-02-2018, 06:46 AM
i am really pissed they fired studes. i met him in the 2011 season.

He is far more qualified then radio to be the head coach. And to be frank. Should have been promoted after Kubiak walked away.

Not some ****ty Dolphins D coordinator.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-02-2018, 11:23 AM
Mike Klis
9m9 minutes ago

Criticize the Broncos all you want, but credit team CEO Joe Ellis for sending message to fans/ticket holders that team can't justify raising prices when on-field product is below standard. He is being fair about this. #9sports

Mike Klis
13m13 minutes ago

Broncos freeze ticket prices for second consecutive year http://www.9news.com/sports/broncos-freeze-ticket-prices-for-second-consecutive-year/504150965 … via @9NEWS #9sports

dogfish
01-02-2018, 01:34 PM
so, does anyone (besides maybe joe) think that this decision had anything to do with winning games? or are we all in agreement that it's about saving money, and saving face?

personally, i think it's absolutely the latter. . . i'm not opposed to the idea that a guy deserves more than one year with a bad QB situation, but vance showed no signs of improvement, or any real indications that he's going to grow in to the job. . . i fully expect him to earn us another top ten pick in 2019, and be fired by or before the end of the year. . . we still don't have a QB, and it looks like we may be going to create more significant holes by cutting several vets. . . if we lose talib, the defense won't be the same. . . i'm preparing myself mentally for another year of bad football. . .

Nomad
01-02-2018, 01:51 PM
so, does anyone (besides maybe joe) think that this decision had anything to do with winning games? or are we all in agreement that it's about saving money, and saving face?

personally, i think it's absolutely the latter. . . i'm not opposed to the idea that a guy deserves more than one year with a bad QB situation, but vance showed no signs of improvement, or any real indications that he's going to grow in to the job. . . i fully expect him to earn us another top ten pick in 2019, and be fired by or before the end of the year. . . we still don't have a QB, and it looks like we may be going to create more significant holes by cutting several vets. . . if we lose talib, the defense won't be the same. . . i'm preparing myself mentally for another year of bad football. . .

I didn't think the 'tanking games mentality' would get rid of Joseph, especially (as someone mentioned) when Cleveland kept Jackson after going 0-16. Elway would have taken a lot of heat from outside of BRONCO nation if he got rid of VJ. Do I think Joseph is in over his head?....yes. I don't believe next year he'll magically figure it out. All we do is hope, hope he does figure it out for the greater good.

dogfish
01-02-2018, 01:52 PM
nomad, i worry about you, bud. . . i'm afraid you can't take another year of people hoping for us to lose, you're gonna snap on somebody. . . :laugh:

Northman
01-02-2018, 02:04 PM
nomad, i worry about you, bud. . . i'm afraid you can't take another year of people hoping for us to lose, you're gonna snap on somebody. . . :laugh:

I think his fags comment after the game Sunday was him snapping. Lol

NightTerror218
01-02-2018, 02:24 PM
I didn't think the 'tanking games mentality' would get rid of Joseph, especially (as someone mentioned) when Cleveland kept Jackson after going 0-16. Elway would have taken a lot of heat from outside of BRONCO nation if he got rid of VJ. Do I think Joseph is in over his head?....yes. I don't believe next year he'll magically figure it out. All we do is hope, hope he does figure it out for the greater good.

Problem was the coaching staff. Rookie HC, rookie ST coordinator and D corrdinators I never liked McCoy. Coaching staff had small amount or game prep experience it showed with game plans.

Rick
01-02-2018, 02:26 PM
In the spirit of fairness, I am willing to not go postal until we see what VJ does when/if the team gets him a QB.

I really wanted Shanny JR last year and to be fair, his team had a worse record than ours until they made a trade for a franchise QB and they haven't lost since.

Buff
01-02-2018, 02:35 PM
Reading between the lines, I think Ellis maybe had to convince Elway that the problems ran deeper than just the head coach. Elway probably wanted to fire VJ, Ellis probably tried to council him into keeping him.

NightTerror218
01-02-2018, 02:37 PM
Reading between the lines, I think Ellis maybe had to convince Elway that the problems ran deeper than just the head coach. Elway probably wanted to fire VJ, Ellis probably tried to council him into keeping him.

SF is good example of sticking with QB and see a turn around when you fix the QB position

Tned
01-02-2018, 02:38 PM
In the spirit of fairness, I am willing to not go postal until we see what VJ does when/if the team gets him a QB.

I really wanted Shanny JR last year and to be fair, his team had a worse record than ours until they made a trade for a franchise QB and they haven't lost since.

And, gets the QB an offensive line. I think people have been far to quick to discount how bad that line's pass protection has been and what that does to young QBs.

Tned
01-02-2018, 02:40 PM

I think it's 100% about winning games.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-02-2018, 02:41 PM
I get the impression Ellis knows jack squat about football and is more of an executive accountant

dogfish
01-02-2018, 02:42 PM
I think his fags comment after the game Sunday was him snapping. Lol

i want to see if a second year of VJ will be enough to get carol to lash out. . . it may be the only reason to tune in next year. . . :heh:

Buff
01-02-2018, 02:54 PM

I think Ellis' comments indicate that Elway was ready to move on, but Ellis is taking more of an introspective approach and thinks that they didn't give Vance a good enough chance to succeed. He spoke about how they had a number of talks during the second half of the season. I think that accounts for the seeming change of heart and Elway leaking to folks like Schefter that he was likely to move on.

Ellis' whole bit about expectations vs. assumptions, to me, is a critique on the organization and on Elway. He is basically saying "Our shit stinks too and we can't simply will ourselves to organizational success with catchy slogans and by pointing to our trophies."

So I think it's somewhere in the middle of saving face and trying to win games... I believe Ellis genuinely thought that it was the wrong thing to do to fire Vance.

All of that said - they sound like they're talking about a recent college graduate or a new draft pick or something when they talk about VJ. They seem to be treating him with kid gloves - and the back story there is likely because Ellis thinks that they don't have the rest of the house in order and it'd be hypocritical to scapegoat VJ... None of which give me any hope that he's actually the leader or coach that we need - more along the lines of "politics requires we keep him for at least one more season."

dogfish
01-02-2018, 03:22 PM
None of which give me any hope that he's actually the leader or coach that we need - more along the lines of "politics requires we keep him for at least one more season."

this is 100% where i'm at, and i do understand why they did it. . . i expect next season to be another long one for us. . . i just hope elway doesn't go the impatient route, and gut the roster of vets so he can badly overpay kirk cousins. . . no more reloading on the fly-- take the time to rebuild properly, at least on the offensive side of the ball. . . it's needed, and we have the picks this year to do it right. . . plus expectations will be low with vance returning. . . all the defense really needs is one more corner and an ILB, and we're good there for a couple more years. . . it can be maintained as a strength to ease a year or two of transition and growth on offense, if done correctly. . . cutting guys like talib, sanders and CJ to pay cousins doesn't get us where we want to go, though, IMO. . .

VonDoom
01-02-2018, 03:25 PM
Mike Klis
6m6 minutes ago

On Broncos radar for QB coach: Ben McAdoo and Ken Zampese. Vance Joseph and McAdoo were previous on SF staff together. Joseph and Zampese were with Bengals. McAdoo and Zampese both looking for OC jobs. Interim QB coach Klint Kubiak will stay on Broncos staff. #9sports

dogfish
01-02-2018, 03:27 PM
lol. . . i'm sure mcadoo is fine as a QB coach, but man-- that would be a lot of fail on one staff. . . :laugh:

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-02-2018, 06:51 PM
lol. . . i'm sure mcadoo is fine as a QB coach, but man-- that would be a lot of fail on one staff. . . :laugh:

:laugh:

VonDoom
01-02-2018, 06:56 PM
McAdoo was an utter zilch as a head coach. No idea how he’d be as a QB coach but if this is an example of a Vance guy, I’m not encouraged

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-02-2018, 06:58 PM

https://twitter.com/VicLombardi/status/947891366779957248

Personally, I think Sanders is the most overrated receiver we’ve ever had. There’s a perception he’s a better receiver than DT because ES is a rah-rah guy who will occasionally lay out for the ball, but year after year he catches a lower percentage of targets, has less YAC, and is almost always in single coverage against a #2 corner. DT would be much harder to replace than Sanders.
Talib would be difficult to replace, but at the age of 32 the writing is on the wall. He’s at the age when the Patriots would ship his contract out for a 2nd round pick. We might as well get something for him while we can. The chances of us getting an all pro season out of him next year are sketchy. His play fell off in the second half of the season. He’s obviously still a playmaker, but it seems as though the speed will start to drop off any day now

dogfish
01-02-2018, 07:08 PM
if we move talib, IMO we better be ready to invest another high pick in the position. . . we can't afford to let the defense fall off, it's the one strength we have to lean on ATM. . . and i definitely don't think langley is ready to be out there for 50+% of our snaps. . . they need to have a plan to find another roby if they want to move on from aqib-- otherwise, the last really studly unit we have will take a big step back towards mediocrity. . . the no fly zone already showed some cracks this year-- i fully expect them to spring many more leaks if we replace talib with roby, and roby with a guy like langley or rios. . .

sanders is easier to replace, IMO, but it's still another significant hole. . . i'd be okay with a combination of latimer and taylor outside, but we still have nobody to make an impact in the slot unless carlos henderson shows up this year. . .

Northman
01-02-2018, 10:00 PM
Apparently Elway and company have told those close to Cousins that they are willing to make a generous offer to him per a Redskins source. Cardinals are also inquiring about his services due to Palmer retiring.

VonDoom
01-02-2018, 11:12 PM
Apparently Elway and company have told those close to Cousins that they are willing to make a generous offer to him per a Redskins source. Cardinals are also inquiring about his services due to Palmer retiring.

I saw that on MHR. It said us and the Redskins were the likeliest suitors for Cousins, and whoever doesn’t get him would be interested in Mayfield come draft time

MOtorboat
01-03-2018, 01:25 AM
I saw that on MHR. It said us and the Redskins were the likeliest suitors for Cousins, and whoever doesn’t get him would be interested in Mayfield come draft time

Shoot me.

Jaws
01-03-2018, 01:45 AM

And Bill would happily volunteer to coach the cheerleaders.

VonDoom
01-03-2018, 09:07 AM
Not sure why we're sniffing around one of the only teams with a worse offense than ours for a QB coach, but here we are. First McAdoo and then ...

Mike Garafolo
‏Verified account @MikeGarafolo
1h1 hour ago

Giants OC Mike Sullivan will interview for the Broncos QB coach job, source says. As NYG looks for their next coach, their assistants have the freedom to check out other gigs. Sullivan had two stints as Eli Manning’s QB coach before becoming OC.

Freyaka
01-03-2018, 09:41 AM
Not sure why we're sniffing around one of the only teams with a worse offense than ours for a QB coach, but here we are. First McAdoo and then ...

Mike Garafolo
‏Verified account @MikeGarafolo
1h1 hour ago

Giants OC Mike Sullivan will interview for the Broncos QB coach job, source says. As NYG looks for their next coach, their assistants have the freedom to check out other gigs. Sullivan had two stints as Eli Manning’s QB coach before becoming OC.

Ben Wacadoodle at least made sense because he was Aaron Rodgers QB coach, but no...Lets stay away from the Giants please.

UnderArmour
01-03-2018, 11:50 AM
Ben Wacadoodle at least made sense because he was Aaron Rodgers QB coach, but no...Lets stay away from the Giants please.

Mike Sullivan was receivers coach for the 2007 Giants and QBs coach when Eli won his 2nd ring in 2011. I'd prefer Sullivan or Zampese over McAdoo. Although, honestly I think the Broncos should stay away all of these old guys and just give the job to Klint on a full time basis. If you want your next Kyle Shanahan or Sean McVay, you have to let young guys work the big boy jobs.

Buff
01-03-2018, 12:05 PM
McAdoo may very well be a decent coach, but he is a toxic laughing stock of the NFL right now. Just the PR hit alone makes me think the baggage is not what an embattled coach such as VJ needs to take on. Can you imagine next year when we start 0-3 with bad QB play and VJ + McAdoo at the helm.

Freyaka
01-03-2018, 12:10 PM
McAdoo may very well be a decent coach, but he is a toxic laughing stock of the NFL right now. Just the PR hit alone makes me think the baggage is not what an embattled coach such as VJ needs to take on. Can you imagine next year when we start 0-3 with bad QB play and VJ + McAdoo at the helm.

I don't disagree. I don't really want him here and I am in no way advocating. VJ and Mcadoo on the same team? That's a whole lot of suck in one place.

Freyaka
01-03-2018, 12:11 PM
Mike Sullivan was receivers coach for the 2007 Giants and QBs coach when Eli won his 2nd ring in 2011. I'd prefer Sullivan or Zampese over McAdoo. Although, honestly I think the Broncos should stay away all of these old guys and just give the job to Klint on a full time basis. If you want your next Kyle Shanahan or Sean McVay, you have to let young guys work the big boy jobs.

And who knows, that could happen. I'd be down with it.

VonDoom
01-03-2018, 12:25 PM
Nicki Jhabvala
6m6 minutes ago

The Broncos interviewed Sean Kugler for the O-line coaching job. Hearing there could be a role for both Kugler and Chris Strausser there. Both coached at Boise State. Strausser hired by the Broncos last year as asst. o-line coach.

dogfish
01-03-2018, 12:46 PM

yea, but hiring mcadon't gives us a guy on staff with head coaching experience who could serve as interim HC if we gotta shitcan vance midway through the season. . .

:shocked:

Buff
01-03-2018, 12:58 PM
yea, but hiring mcadon't gives us a guy on staff with head coaching experience who could serve as interim HC if we gotta shitcan vance midway through the season. . .

:shocked:

Hell, let's go get Jimmy Caldwell if that's the priority!

CoachChaz
01-03-2018, 12:59 PM
Also take the Giants injuries into consideration when looking at their offensive woes this season. Tavarres King had as many TD catches this year as Bechkam did.

dogfish
01-03-2018, 01:00 PM
Hell, let's go get Jimmy Caldwell if that's the priority!

how do you feel about jim tomsula?

Buff
01-03-2018, 01:02 PM
how do you feel about jim tomsula?

Has a higher coaching stock currently than does McAdoo. Guy is a whiz with the media too.

dogfish
01-03-2018, 01:42 PM
Has a higher coaching stock currently than does McAdoo. Guy is a whiz with the media too.

he and vance together could do some legendary pressers, amirite?

VonDoom
01-03-2018, 01:59 PM
Also take the Giants injuries into consideration when looking at their offensive woes this season. Tavarres King had as many TD catches this year as Bechkam did.

Their offense wasn't very good last year at full strength, and that was an 11-5 team. Their defense carried them (sound familiar?) They didn't hit 30 points once in any game coached by alleged offensive genius McAdoo in two years.

VonDoom
01-03-2018, 04:54 PM
Mike Klis
12m12 minutes ago

Broncos first known RB coach candidate: The Bears’ Curtis Modkins. #9sports

dogfish
01-03-2018, 04:58 PM
Mike Klis
12m12 minutes ago

Broncos first known RB coach candidate: The Bears’ Curtis Modkins. #9sports

never heard the name before, but he presumably did a solid job with howard and coen, so that's something. . .

VonDoom
01-03-2018, 07:19 PM
https://twitter.com/romanocbs4/status/948687033026928641

MOtorboat
01-03-2018, 07:35 PM
So is the plan just hiring former head coaches who pushed out or fired at previous jobs?

That is not an inspiring pick, unless someone knows something I don't.

Freyaka
01-03-2018, 07:45 PM
So is the plan just hiring former head coaches who pushed out or fired at previous jobs?

That is not an inspiring pick, unless someone knows something I don't.

Clady speaks really highly of him.

ShaneFalco
01-03-2018, 08:13 PM
this team is ******

tripp
01-03-2018, 09:48 PM
Could be worse I guess, Bengals signed Marvin Lewis to a 2 year extension.

Freyaka
01-04-2018, 09:45 AM
this team is ******

It at least has that leg up on you. It's getting some.

Davii
01-04-2018, 09:58 AM
this team is ******

At least your Rams are having a great year! Best offense in football and a nasty defense! I know you're psyched.

Northman
01-04-2018, 10:05 AM
At least your Rams are having a great year! Best offense in football and a nasty defense! I know you're psyched.

Well, they aint his Rams anymore. They moved to spite him. lmao

Cugel
01-04-2018, 12:04 PM
Could be worse I guess, Bengals signed Marvin Lewis to a 2 year extension.

First the Bengals were going to fire him. Then they took a look at what was out there in terms of head coaches: Ben McAdoo, and some guys who MIGHT have been available but then were not fired, and decided "these guys suck worse than the guy we've got." So, they sat down with Marvin Lewis on Monday and worked out their differences and signed him to a 2 year extension.

But, until Monday, Lewis intended to leave, and "some sources in the Bengals front office" wanted him gone.

All this is from an interview with Adam Schefter, who says "I'm 100% certain" regarding the details. I honestly didn't pay close attention because it doesn't affect the Broncos, but it looked like it was a mutual breakup, and then a mutual reconciliation once both parties realized "woah! The market is pretty bleak out there. Maybe I should re-think this whole divorce idea!"

Similar, according to Schefter, to what happened in Denver. John Elway considered firing VJ right after the season, but then decided that whoever he wanted as a replacement coach wasn't going to be available (supposedly Texans Coach Bill O'Brien -- although Schefter did NOT say this and it might not be true) and re-thought things and ended up keeping VJ.

God help the Broncos if they ever wind up with a hot-headed ego-maniac like Bill O'Brien who feuds with every QB except DeShaun Watson (and he's only a matter of time). That guy is a total loser who will run out of excuses after another failed season in 2018 and will be fired at that point. Perhaps then Elway will consider bringing him here, but that will NOT be at all popular with the fans.

Timmy!
01-04-2018, 12:19 PM
this team is ******

Thanks for that hard hitting, in depth analysis.

VonDoom
01-04-2018, 06:31 PM
https://twitter.com/mikeklis/status/949059842949263360

Freyaka
01-04-2018, 07:24 PM
https://twitter.com/mikeklis/status/949059842949263360

Kinda meh on Sullivan, but Modkins is a great hire. He's helped with guys like Howard, Hyde, CJ Spiller and Fred Jackson.

Freyaka
01-04-2018, 07:25 PM
Makes you wonder though, is hiring Sullivan opening the door for Eli?

VonDoom
01-04-2018, 07:28 PM
Makes you wonder though, is hiring Sullivan opening the door for Eli?

Renck was just talking about this on Twitter. He’s long said the Broncos weren’t interested in Eli but said that hiring Sullivan at least opens the door. Personally I want no part of Eli at this stage of his career

topscribe
01-05-2018, 12:27 AM
Renck was just talking about this on Twitter. He’s long said the Broncos weren’t interested in Eli but said that hiring Sullivan at least opens the door. Personally I want no part of Eli at this stage of his career
It seems to me that might depend on his price and the situation behind him. To get a QB with his
ability for a year or two while they are developing on behind him could be ideal, depending, of
course, on who's behind him. A scenario could be using the #1 for a QB, signing a good one who
is late in his career, then work on a successful season while that rookie and Paxton duke it out
behind him. Just a thought . . .

Freyaka
01-05-2018, 11:03 AM

I don't really either, but even he's better than the garbage we've got now.

Ground Control
01-07-2018, 02:53 AM
Clady speaks really highly of him.

The NFL sucks at coaching up coaches. Even those that prove themselves stronger by surviving get canned because they don't fit an idea, or aren't their superiors 'guy'. The 'idea' and the HC/ OC/ DC was the failure but the assistants get canned because...just because. Or, the HC/ OC/ DC was ok but they didn't fit the plan in the head office...or the egos clashed...or whatever. The NFL absolutely sucks at developing coaches and giving them stability. It's not driven by rationality, rather by perception and personalities. This is a major reason for fan loss and disillusion, IMO. There is hard core instability in the league at the coaching level, in general. That can't be a good thing.

Cugel
01-08-2018, 09:47 PM

You won't have to worry about it. The new Giants GM announced they are keeping Manning. So, in all likelihood he's staying in NY for his entire career. That makes the most sense. They draft a QB at #2 and let him sit behind Manning until the rookie is ready, perhaps in year 2.

If Manning declines rapidly like Peyton did in 2015, then they can put the rookie in.

Cugel
01-08-2018, 09:51 PM
The NFL sucks at coaching up coaches. Even those that prove themselves stronger by surviving get canned because they don't fit an idea, or aren't their superiors 'guy'. The 'idea' and the HC/ OC/ DC was the failure but the assistants get canned because...just because. Or, the HC/ OC/ DC was ok but they didn't fit the plan in the head office...or the egos clashed...or whatever. The NFL absolutely sucks at developing coaches and giving them stability. It's not driven by rationality, rather by perception and personalities. This is a major reason for fan loss and disillusion, IMO. There is hard core instability in the league at the coaching level, in general. That can't be a good thing.

The reason for the decline in fan interest is the boring assed games, with endless long delays so the refs can anally examine every single catch to see if the ball moved a fraction of an inch as the WR fell to the ground. Then the game drags ass for 2 or 3 minutes. Then there is a commercial for 3 minutes. Then the refs come back on and say "the ruling on the field stands." Then there's a punt. Then 3 more minutes of commercials.

By this time I'm often ready for a nap and more ready to a re-run of Game of Thrones or something.

If the games were more exciting then more fans would watch. That doesn't seem likely to happen. The NFL gets more stultified and full of stupid rules and boring replay of every call, every damn year.

VonDoom
01-09-2018, 07:16 PM
https://twitter.com/patmcafeeshow/status/950872404510822401

MOtorboat
01-09-2018, 07:19 PM
As long as he doesn't oversee delay of games on kicks and the worst fumbling punt returner in the league I will consider it a success!

Hawgdriver
01-09-2018, 07:20 PM
https://twitter.com/patmcafeeshow/status/950872404510822401

He has the Mcafee seal of approval!!!

Championship1!!

dogfish
01-09-2018, 07:54 PM
olivo was supposed to be incredible, too. . .

Rick
01-09-2018, 07:57 PM
At-least he has experience at the job.

LawDog
01-09-2018, 09:45 PM

The same could said for a lot of businesses / corporations and how they handle management. Nothing special about the NFL, still dealing with humans...

VonDoom
01-10-2018, 12:03 PM
Nicki Jhabvala
22m22 minutes ago

The Broncos are expected to make Greg Williams a defensive backs coach, per source. Was the Colts' DBs coach. (1st by @MikeKlis)

Nicki Jhabvala
11m11 minutes ago

Broncos appear to be taking a specialist approach to their revamped coaching staff. Kugler (G/C) and Strausser (OT) are divvying up duties on O-line, and Marcus Robertson and Greg Williams could be doing the same w/ the secondary, handling the safeties & cornerbacks, respectively

Nicki Jhabvala
10m10 minutes ago

Nicki Jhabvala Retweeted Nicki Jhabvala

Robertson and Williams both have playing experience, too. Robertson played 12 years in the NFL as a safety. Williams was a DB at North Carolina under coach Mack Brown.

BroncoWave
01-10-2018, 12:14 PM
olivo was supposed to be incredible, too. . .

Yes but this guy has a track record. Olivio didn't.

VonDoom
01-10-2018, 12:15 PM
Mike Klis
4m4 minutes ago

Broncos will replace OLB coach Fred Pagac with a "pass rush" coach. Reggie Herring will coach both inside and outside linebackers. New pass rush coach (to be determined) will bounce between Bill Kollar's D-line room and Herring's room.

Freyaka
01-10-2018, 12:19 PM
Nicki Jhabvala
22m22 minutes ago

The Broncos are expected to make Greg Williams a defensive backs coach, per source. Was the Colts' DBs coach. (1st by @MikeKlis)

Nicki Jhabvala
11m11 minutes ago

Broncos appear to be taking a specialist approach to their revamped coaching staff. Kugler (G/C) and Strausser (OT) are divvying up duties on O-line, and Marcus Robertson and Greg Williams could be doing the same w/ the secondary, handling the safeties & cornerbacks, respectively

Nicki Jhabvala
10m10 minutes ago

Robertson and Williams both have playing experience, too. Robertson played 12 years in the NFL as a safety. Williams was a DB at North Carolina under coach Mack Brown.

Williams? Eww....

Buff
01-10-2018, 12:22 PM
Williams? Eww....

This Greg Williams - http://www.colts.com/team/coaches/Greg-Williams/3a50cfe1-07b0-4adc-bc12-f09cb0860b37

Not to be confused with Gregg Williams, the bounty gate douche.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-10-2018, 12:23 PM
Williams? Eww....

It’s not the same Greg Williams who was the DC in New Orleans

Freyaka
01-10-2018, 12:23 PM
This Greg Williams - http://www.colts.com/team/coaches/Greg-Williams/3a50cfe1-07b0-4adc-bc12-f09cb0860b37

Not to be confused with Gregg Williams, the bounty gate douche.

Ah...Thank you, I feel much better now then. lol

dogfish
01-10-2018, 12:42 PM
Mike Klis
4m4 minutes ago

Broncos will replace OLB coach Fred Pagac with a "pass rush" coach. Reggie Herring will coach both inside and outside linebackers. New pass rush coach (to be determined) will bounce between Bill Kollar's D-line room and Herring's room.

maybe they should try using some stunts or blitzes once in a while, instead of expecting that the coach can magically train von to beat double and triple teams every snap. . .

Freyaka
01-10-2018, 12:45 PM
maybe they should try using some stunts or blitzes once in a while, instead of expecting that the coach can magically train von to beat double and triple teams every snap. . .

But other fans tell me that Von rarely gets double or triple teamed and that he's just not showing up anymore... At least that's the popular myth this year.

Poet
01-10-2018, 01:02 PM
But other fans tell me that Von rarely gets double or triple teamed and that he's just not showing up anymore... At least that's the popular myth this year.

He's the best overall OLB ever. I love that man.

Freyaka
01-10-2018, 01:21 PM
he's the best overall olb ever. I love that man.

WOOOT!!! *edit, damn you boards...don't lowercase my uppercase...*

Welcome back buddy, it hasn't been the same here while you were on your hiatus.

dogfish
01-10-2018, 01:51 PM
Welcome back buddy, it hasn't been the same here while you were on your hiatus.

really. . . so quiet and peaceful. . .

:heh:

Poet
01-10-2018, 01:52 PM
really. . . so quiet and peaceful. . .

:heh:

You can act like you didn't miss me, but we know better!

VonDoom
01-10-2018, 02:37 PM
Nicki Jhabvala
17m17 minutes ago

Zach Azzanni will be named the Broncos WRs coach, per NFL source. He was the WRs coach for the Bears.

Nicki Jhabvala
8m8 minutes ago

Zach Azzani, the second Bears assistant to join the Broncos' coaching staff, recruited Antonio Brown to Central Michigan as a walk-on back in 2007. That seemed to work out well.

dogfish
01-10-2018, 02:40 PM
two bears coaches now? maybe leader of men saw something in their offense last year that i didn't?

Poet
01-10-2018, 02:44 PM
two bears coaches now? maybe leader of men saw something in their offense last year that i didn't?

Their position coaches are good. Their head coach was John Fox....

dogfish
01-10-2018, 02:58 PM
Their position coaches are good. Their head coach was John Fox....

how do you know their position coaches are good? the last time the bears developed a good receiver was never. . .

Poet
01-10-2018, 03:00 PM
how do you know their position coaches are good? the last time the bears developed a good receiver was never. . .

I live in Illinois. I see and hear a lot about the Bears. This guy was one of the dudes who developed Jeffry, IIRC.

Freyaka
01-10-2018, 03:04 PM

I was going to say that wasn't a fair assessment, but then I realized the bears haven't even had a WR in the top 50 for the last three years.

Ya, that's...that's pretty spot on. Crap man...what are we doing? They haven't had a WR over 1,000 yards since 2014.

Poet
01-10-2018, 03:06 PM
We'll file this one away and time shall be the teller of the truths.

I've heard this guy's name in the papers and in the 'local' media. It was mostly positive things about a coach with a bad HC, on a team with WR injuries and no QB. Take it for what it's worth my brothers.

NightTrainLayne
01-10-2018, 03:16 PM
Nicki Jhabvala
22m22 minutes ago

Nicki Jhabvala
11m11 minutes ago

Nicki Jhabvala
10m10 minutes ago

Thought Williams was "Gregg" Williams for a moment.

Freyaka
01-10-2018, 03:21 PM
Thought Williams was "Gregg" Williams for a moment.

That was my initial reaction...I was like "what in the hell are you doing Denver? Do you want to finish 5-11 two years in a row? Because that's how you finish 5-11 two years in a row"

VonDoom
01-10-2018, 03:23 PM
McAfee continues to praise our new ST coach:

https://twitter.com/NickiJhabvala/status/951186876722954240

VonDoom
01-10-2018, 03:26 PM
That was my initial reaction...I was like "what in the hell are you doing Denver? Do you want to finish 5-11 two years in a row? Because that's how you finish 5-11 two years in a row"

Pretty sure this isn't the same Williams, as has been noted :lol:

https://twitter.com/Broncos/status/951178757666205697

Hawgdriver
01-10-2018, 03:31 PM
All these tweets should include "not *that* Greg Williams"